Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Pathfinder Adventure Card Game Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Pathfinder Adventures Pathfinder Campaign Setting Pathfinder Player Companion Pathfinder Accessories Pathfinder Miniatures Pathfinder Fiction Pathfinder Society Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Compatible Products Pathfinder Apparel & Gifts Pathfinder Licensed Products
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Starfinder


Pathfinder Society


Pathfinder Adventure Card Game


Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Roleplaying Game: Bestiary 6 (PFRPG)

Pathfinder Roleplaying Game: Bestiary 6 (PFRPG)

Preorder Hardcover $44.99

PDF available : $9.99

Facebook Twitter Email

Bow Down in Fear!

Monsters have long stalked us in the darkness. Within this book, you’ll find a host of these creatures for use in the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game. Face off against archdevils and the Horsemen of the Apocalypse, planar dragons and the legendary wild hunt, proteans and psychopomps, and hundreds more! Some creatures, such as the capricious taniwha, the mysterious green man, or the powerful empyreal lords, might even be willing to provide your heroes aid—if they deserve it!

Pathfinder RPG Bestiary 6 is the sixth must-have volume of monsters for use with the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game and serves as a companion to the Pathfinder RPG Core Rulebook and Pathfinder RPG Bestiary. This imaginative tabletop game builds upon more than 10 years of system development and an open playtest featuring more than 50,000 gamers to create a cutting-edge RPG experience that brings the all-time best-selling set of fantasy rules into a new era.

Pathfinder RPG Bestiary 6 includes:

  • More than 200 different monsters.
  • New player-friendly races, like the crazed monkey goblins, the telepathic albino munavris, the river-dwelling fey naiads, the wolflike rougarou, and the yaddithians of the Elder Mythos.
  • Numerous powerful demigods, from archdevils and Great Old Ones to empyreal lords and qlippoth lords.
  • New animal companions and other allies, such as fierce devil monkeys and loyal clockwork hounds.
  • New templates, including the entothrope and the mongrel giant, to help you get more life out of classic monsters.
  • Appendices to help you find the right monster, including lists by Challenge Rating, monster type, and habitat.
  • Expanded universal monster rules to simplify combat.
  • Challenges for every adventure and every level of play.
  • AND MUCH, MUCH MORE!

ISBN-13: 978-1-60125-931-8

Note: This product is part of the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Subscription.

Product Availability

Hardcover: Preorder - Expected approximately .

PDF:

Are there errors or omissions in this product information? Got corrections? Let us know at store@paizo.com.

PZO1137


See Also:

Product Discussion (2,604)
2,501 to 2,550 of 2,604 << first < prev | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | next > last >>

4 people marked this as a favorite.

I like the redesigned Charon. And maybe if you're too poor to be buried with a gold coin over each eye, you can pay his fare with a really kickass hat?

I kinda want to give him a cigarillo and a spaghetti Western-style hat, and imagine him talking like Lee Van Cleef's Angel Eyes.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Kaf'Eene the Wicked, Demon Lord wrote:


I kinda want to give him a cigarillo and a spaghetti Western-style hat, and imagine him talking like Lee Van Cleef's Angel Eyes.

And I will be stealing this. Starting immediately.


Gorbacz wrote:
Davia D wrote:
Gorbacz wrote:
"Lower planes" is a Planescape term for Evil​ planes that became a part of universal D&D lingo regardless of the setting.
I guess it does roll off the tongue better than 'upper right planes'.
No, it's just a term that the D&D community associates with Evil planes regardless of what actual cosmology is being used. Just like everybody calls evil outsiders "fiends" regardless of whether the term is actually used in the given setting.

It could also mean "lower" in terms of morality.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

If Charon losses the beard, he looks like the version of Death from Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey:)


James Jacobs wrote:
We've never illustrated monsters fighting on the cover of a Bestiary; the idea has always been to illustrate a group of monsters that could well be attacking the viewer.

Which raises the question of what the little guy with a fireball is doing with Hell incarnate and the harbinger of entropy.

Silver Crusade

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion Subscriber
AlgaeNymph wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
We've never illustrated monsters fighting on the cover of a Bestiary; the idea has always been to illustrate a group of monsters that could well be attacking the viewer.
Which raises the question of what the little guy with a fireball is doing with Hell incarnate and the harbinger of entropy.

Attending a Spinal Tap concert.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

He is henchman 21;)


Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
AlgaeNymph wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
We've never illustrated monsters fighting on the cover of a Bestiary; the idea has always been to illustrate a group of monsters that could well be attacking the viewer.
Which raises the question of what the little guy with a fireball is doing with Hell incarnate and the harbinger of entropy.

What, demons can't be groupies?


6 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
AlgaeNymph wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
We've never illustrated monsters fighting on the cover of a Bestiary; the idea has always been to illustrate a group of monsters that could well be attacking the viewer.
Which raises the question of what the little guy with a fireball is doing with Hell incarnate and the harbinger of entropy.

I like to imagine him screaming:

"OKAY LET'S DO THIS....LEEEEERRROOOYYYY JENKINS"


Gorbacz wrote:
AlgaeNymph wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
We've never illustrated monsters fighting on the cover of a Bestiary; the idea has always been to illustrate a group of monsters that could well be attacking the viewer.
Which raises the question of what the little guy with a fireball is doing with Hell incarnate and the harbinger of entropy.
Attending a Spinal Tap concert.

I thought they were there for Slayer...

Paizo Employee Creative Director

9 people marked this as a favorite.
AlgaeNymph wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
We've never illustrated monsters fighting on the cover of a Bestiary; the idea has always been to illustrate a group of monsters that could well be attacking the viewer.
Which raises the question of what the little guy with a fireball is doing with Hell incarnate and the harbinger of entropy.

If you need an answer, well, that brimorak is an advanced brimorak with 20 levels of cleric of Lamashtu who specializes in using the Styx to travel the Outer Rifts and go on diplomatic missions for the Queen of Demons. Charon's a great way to add prestige to your trip to visit Mephistopheles.

Silver Crusade

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion Subscriber
James Jacobs wrote:
AlgaeNymph wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
We've never illustrated monsters fighting on the cover of a Bestiary; the idea has always been to illustrate a group of monsters that could well be attacking the viewer.
Which raises the question of what the little guy with a fireball is doing with Hell incarnate and the harbinger of entropy.
If you need an answer, well, that brimorak is an advanced brimorak with 20 levels of cleric of Lamashtu who specializes in using the Styx to travel the Outer Rifts and go on diplomatic missions for the Queen of Demons. Charon's a great way to add prestige to your trip to visit Mephistopheles.

Also, Charon gives great tours AND cracks jokes like there was no tomorrow.


That Charon, whataguy!


5 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Great guy, but I think those two kids, Billy and Mandy, are a bad influence on him.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Finally realized that Charon's presence in a bestiary means I can reenact some of my favorite Ray Harryhausen scenes


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

I can't wait for the previews in the coming weeks.

Shadow Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Davia D wrote:
Gorbacz wrote:

The cover is metal.

It conveys the theme of Big Bads and High CR well.

Wayne is a genius.

And above all, virtually none of you is ever going to make a RPG book purchase decision based on cover. For us geeks, these books could all have jet black covers - sure, there'd be some moaning, but I cannot imagine, say, Dragon78 *not* buying Bestiary 6 even if the cover would be blank. The covers are not for us, because we are so deeply invested in the contents of the book (down to scouring the Internet for clues and making lists of monsters we know are in there) that the cover plays pretty much no role in the decision to purchase the book.

The audience for the covers are people who *do* make their purchase decisions based on covers. These are, in order of importance, retailers, distributors and casual random people. The cover needs to grab their attention and those are groups which don't really care about what covers other Paizo books have, as long those covers are also cool enough.

*Raises hand* I've made decisions based on covers. If multiple are on my 'maybe' list, I'll go with the one with the best cover.

And a bad cover has gotten stuff pushed way down my 'to buy' list. Granted, not normally Paizo stuff, but, like cheesecake covers and such.

To expand on this, the other issue is that the hardcore fans are not the only people who are or should be encouraged to pick these books up. New players, GMs, people IN a comic book store will wander by and pick these things up on a whim and that cover is what draws them into the game. Hell, I got into this medium because something on the 3.5 MM2 cover got me intrigued enough to open it up and take a look.

Art matters in this context. It helps take these nebulous, fantastic, and abstract things that writers are imagining in their minds and expressing in words and math and make them concrete with the reader and help make this a shared medium and help us both retain those of us who are here and draw in new participants. This latter half is where the bulk of my critique comes from, that the cover is awesome but fails to represent the brevity of content this book contains and in doing so does that content a disservice. It gives off the impression that this is the book to buy if you wanna run Hell's Vengeance or a Dante's Inferno, but not A Very Krampus Christmas, The Long Shadow of the Kaiju, Albino Pirates of the Underdark, or the host of other ideas many of us know are possible from the few leaks we've gotten but the new potential consumer does not have. And I think that's a valid bit of criticism to have.


James Jacobs wrote:
We've never illustrated monsters fighting on the cover of a Bestiary; the idea has always been to illustrate a group of monsters that could well be attacking the viewer.

Hmmm...

So who'd be on the cover in the case of evil PCs?


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
doc the grey wrote:


To expand on this, the other issue is that the hardcore fans are not the only people who are or should be encouraged to pick these books up. New players, GMs, people IN a comic book store will wander by and pick these things up on a whim and that cover is what draws them into the game. Hell, I got into this medium because something on the 3.5 MM2 cover got me intrigued enough to open it up and take a look.

Art matters in this context. It helps take these nebulous, fantastic, and abstract things that writers are imagining in their minds and expressing in words and math and make them concrete with the reader and help make this a shared medium and help us both retain those of us who are here and draw...

I admit to being a random person who first start purchasing Pathfinder due to encountering the cool bestiaries.

That said, I don't know if Bestiary 6 is really meant to be or should be a "gateway product" to Pathfinder. Later bestiary entries are by their very nature going to have a certain specialist feel to them, as easy/obvious/classic tropes get used up in earlier books. And the book should fairly represent it's contents. We have at least 7 Archdevils, 4 Horsemen, 3? Kaiju, and 3 Great Old Ones, alongside 3 Empyreal Lords and a unknown number of new demigod outsiders or similar high CR threats. A cover that reflects that seems a much more honest cover to produce.

My only (super minor) complaint is that I could see this cover causing some confusion with Book of the Damned, but that is about it.


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

I love the cover.

And I can't wait to see what the Book Of The Damned looks like. :-)


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

I hope there will be a lot of non-outsider based demi-god level/type creatures.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
AlgaeNymph wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
We've never illustrated monsters fighting on the cover of a Bestiary; the idea has always been to illustrate a group of monsters that could well be attacking the viewer.

Hmmm...

So who'd be on the cover in the case of evil PCs?

Same thing, because some monsters look cooler on covers than others.


Dragon78 wrote:
I hope there will be a lot of non-outsider based demi-god level/type creatures.

I sincerely hope there aren't.

If anything can go above CR 25, them what's the point of demigods? The Kaiju are an acceptable exception, as well as legends such as Baba Yaga, but I hope the CR 26 - 30 rank is pretty much occupied by demigods. Krampus was one I was wailing to accept as well.

HOWEVER, I'm ok with the likes of Danavan Titans or Empyrean Angels. I really like creatures that have high CR variations, like balor lords or the elder anemoi, and than these really powerful variations, like danavan pillars and paragon empyreans.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
The Gold Sovereign wrote:
Dragon78 wrote:
I hope there will be a lot of non-outsider based demi-god level/type creatures.

I sincerely hope there aren't.

If anything can go above CR 25, them what's the point of demigods? The Kaiju are an acceptable exception, as well as legends such as Baba Yaga, but I hope the CR 26 - 30 rank is pretty much occupied by demigods. Krampus was one I was wailing to accept as well.

HOWEVER, I'm ok with the likes of Danavan Titans or Empyrean Angels. I really like creatures that have high CR variations, like balor lords or the elder anemoi, and than these really powerful variations, like danavan pillars and paragon empyreans.

Given that there are non-Outsider demigod, like the Great Old Ones and presumably the Eldest, this ship seems to have already sailed.


FallenDabus wrote:
The Gold Sovereign wrote:
Dragon78 wrote:
I hope there will be a lot of non-outsider based demi-god level/type creatures.

I sincerely hope there aren't.

If anything can go above CR 25, them what's the point of demigods? The Kaiju are an acceptable exception, as well as legends such as Baba Yaga, but I hope the CR 26 - 30 rank is pretty much occupied by demigods. Krampus was one I was wailing to accept as well.

HOWEVER, I'm ok with the likes of Danavan Titans or Empyrean Angels. I really like creatures that have high CR variations, like balor lords or the elder anemoi, and than these really powerful variations, like danavan pillars and paragon empyreans.

Given that there are non-Outsider demigod, like the Great Old Ones and presumably the Eldest, this ship seems to have already sailed.

I took "demigod level" as CR 26+ without being actual demigods, like the Kaiju or the Oliphaunt. But we actually do have non-outsider demigods, just as you mentioned FallenDabus. They are demigods so CR 26+ is more than appropriated, I suppose.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

It would be nice to one day see some CR26+ character/creatures that are the actual children of deities and mortal beings and/or monsters. I doubt that there will be in any in this book though.

It saddens me that not one of the true dragons has made it on a Pathfinder bestiary cover.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I known I'm not the only one refreshing the Paizo Blog board from time to time, just waiting for the previews... ;D


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

I don't expect any blogs for this until at least Tuesday.

Dark Archive

Or Thursday

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion Subscriber

Monday is the Organized Play blog day, so you can leave your F5 keys in peace.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I hope Monday ends soonish. I really look forward to seeing spoilers


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

I am more curious of what they will do this year. We have had games like guess what this creature is, voting for wich will be revealed, standard art reveal, something different, etc.


Voting for wich is revealed was a good game. In the end we get stats for the winner.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Yeah, but who knows what they will do this time. Hopefully today but might be Thursday.


Anybody know what animal companions will be in this one?


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
J-Spee Lovecraft wrote:
Anybody know what animal companions will be in this one?

I'm reasonably certain James Jacobs does.


Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Companion Subscriber

Is there any official release date for this yet?

I plan on making a rather sizeable purchase here on the boards, in the near-ish future, and it would be great to add this in :)


Divine Simian,

Well the PDF is released on April 26th, so I'd imagine around then is when the stores will get it.

As for when Paizo will get it...no clear idea but I'd assume 16 days before the PDF.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

I thought is more like around 14 days early for subscriptions.


Hello, everyone. Does anyone know something about a creature that looks like a bunch of Redcaps and Quicklings stiched together (fey, not construct or undead).
If I remember correctly, there was a mention in Know direction podcast that the art was ordered not long ago, so I hope to see the creature here.
Can anyone confirm it? Mr Jacobs, pls? :) Thanks.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Sorry, that news to me.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Milan Djilas wrote:

Hello, everyone. Does anyone know something about a creature that looks like a bunch of Redcaps and Quicklings stiched together (fey, not construct or undead).

If I remember correctly, there was a mention in Know direction podcast that the art was ordered not long ago, so I hope to see the creature here.
Can anyone confirm it? Mr Jacobs, pls? :) Thanks.

No such thing in this book; I suspect you're recalling a podcast Crystal and some others did for Ironfang Invasion, and that said monster might be showing up in some point during that adventure path... not as a new monster in the bestiary, but as a variant creature in an encounter.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Stitched together does sound like a construct or undead, unless they meant fused together.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
James Jacobs wrote:
Milan Djilas wrote:

Hello, everyone. Does anyone know something about a creature that looks like a bunch of Redcaps and Quicklings stiched together (fey, not construct or undead).

If I remember correctly, there was a mention in Know direction podcast that the art was ordered not long ago, so I hope to see the creature here.
Can anyone confirm it? Mr Jacobs, pls? :) Thanks.
No such thing in this book; I suspect you're recalling a podcast Crystal and some others did for Ironfang Invasion, and that said monster might be showing up in some point during that adventure path... not as a new monster in the bestiary, but as a variant creature in an encounter.

Yes, that's the one I recall. Great podcast episode. Sounds like a great idea for a creature, so I'm looking forward to see it in Ironfang invasion. Thank you for the quick reply, James.

Dragon78, I agree - "fused" does sound more appropriate for a fey than "stiched" (also more scary). Seems like I have to improve my vocabulary. :))

Greetings from Serbia.

Ps. Wayne, that cover is amazing!


So about these new Planar Dragons, the book say Dragons of Heaven what about the Dragons of Hell?


Prince Setehrael wrote:
So about these new Planar Dragons, the book say Dragons of Heaven what about the Dragons of Hell?

We are assuming there're five "planar dragons" and that the heavenly dragon was simply the one chosen to be mentioned (just as the dream dragon).

If we are right, Dragon78 came up with an idea about these dragons, and that they are probably going to be divided in five neutral dragons covering all the planes from the Outer Sphere.

NG = upper planes
NE = lower planes
LN = axis
CN = maelstrom
N = boneyard

Those are all merely speculations, however.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Note: If there are Heaven Dragons, it's very unlikely for them to be NG considering Heaven is not NG.


Milo v3 wrote:
Note: If there are Heaven Dragons, it's very unlikely for them to be NG considering Heaven is not NG.

While it's unlikely, it isn't impossible, as we do have the angels as a precedent.

And there is another question: are they dragons from heaven, and from heaven only? If the answer to this question is yes, than where are the Abyss, Hell, Abbadon, Nirvana and Elysium dragon, as well as the dragons from Axis and Boneyard?

They are always in groups of 5, so we already know they aren't from all the planes. While there's no need for every plane to have their own dragons, having one dragon for at least each "base" (neutral) alignment would be great, so we could place them on any plane.

Anyway, as I said, these are all personal assumptions based on what others and I thought would be the best way for depicting this planar dragons.

Sovereign Court

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion Subscriber

If dragons come in fives, you really can't have one for every alignment.

Given how these things tend to go, my money is on neutral and the four extremes.

Silver Crusade

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game, Tales Subscriber
Kalindlara wrote:

If dragons come in fives, you really can't have one for every alignment.

Given how these things tend to go, my money is on neutral and the four extremes.

Yep, NG, NE, CN, LN, and N is my bet.

2,501 to 2,550 of 2,604 << first < prev | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo.com / Product Discussion / Pathfinder Roleplaying Game: Bestiary 6 (PFRPG) All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

Paizo.com Gift Certificates
On Sale and Clearance!


©2002-2017 Paizo Inc.® | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours, Monday through Friday, 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM Pacific time.

Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, Starfinder, the Starfinder logo, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc. The Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Legends, Pathfinder Online, Starfinder Adventure Path, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.