Pathfinder Society Adventure Card Guild Guide PDF

Our Price: FREE

Add to Cart
Facebook Twitter Email

Welcome to the Pathfinder Society Adventure Card Guild Guide v5.0! This document contains everything you need to know to survive battles with Sandpoint goblins (and the Runelord's henchmen) in Pathfinder Adventure Card Game. This guide is intended for use with the organized play program for the Pathfinder Adventure Card Game's Season of Factions Favor.

Current version: 5.0, released on February 9, 2018.

Reporting Sheets for event coordinators — (24 kb zip/PDF)

Product Availability

Will be added to your My Downloads Page immediately upon purchase of PDF.

Are there errors or omissions in this product information? Got corrections? Let us know at store@paizo.com.

PZOACG0000E


See Also:

Sign in to create or edit a product review.

Paizo Employee Paizo Glitterati Robot

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Now available! :)

Liberty's Edge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Paizo Charter Superscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Tales Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber

Yay!!! This needs a blog

Liberty's Edge

Paizo Charter Superscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Tales Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber

Quick question...

PSASG guide pg. 9 wrote:
Some Adventure Card Guild scenarios grant rewards that can be assigned to Pathfinder Society Roleplaying Guild characters.

By "Pathfinder Society Roleplaying Guild characters" do you mean Pathfinder Society Organized Play characters? I have never heard it or seen it any where called "Pathfinder Society Roleplaying Guild" before.

Paizo Employee Chief Technical Officer

We mean that. There's some branding stuff to be worked through.

Paizo Employee Chief Technical Officer

Dragnmoon wrote:
Yay!!! This needs a blog

How's tomorrow at 10 AM?


Pathfinder Card Game Subscriber

I assume the two hour game limit does not include the time it takes to explain the game to any new commers to the card game?


Pathfinder Card Game, Class Deck Subscriber
agraham2410 wrote:
I assume the two hour game limit does not include the time it takes to explain the game to any new commers to the card game?

I don't think so, as it recommends demoing the game for them separately:

"If you’re new to the game, you should learn the basics before jumping into organized play. Ask your event coordinator if there’s a demo available to play."


Pathfinder Card Game, Class Deck Subscriber

So I've read it over a few times. There are a few things that I think should probably be talked about in the Adventure Card Guild Special Rules section, mostly pertaining to adding cards to the box other than the Skull & Shackles Base Set, Skull & Shackles Character Add-On Deck, and Promo Cards:

-Is it okay to have the Character Add-On Deck from Rise of the Runelords included in the box? I actually considered buying one, having never bought the Runelords Base Set, to add to my Skull & Shackles set to have more character options and boons, but ultimately decided against it due to being worried about the China/USA printer issue. Others may have had a similar idea.

-What about even mixing the Rise of the Runelords Base Set, or select cards from it? Most people probably wouldn't do this, but it should probably still be mentioned. I'm guessing that all Rise of the Runelords cards should be kept far away from an Organized Play session. Is that the intent?

-How about if someone wants to get extra Class Decks for their box to increase/diversify their pool of boons? Is it okay to have the boons from Class Decks included in an Organized Play box? If so, should it be limited to a maximum of one deck of each class?

-And one last issue of actually taking cards out of the box; if the base set being used for organized play is someone's personal copy and there is a normal Skull & Shackles Adventure Path game being played with it, is it okay for the characters in that game to have their decks kept together (taking them out of the boons available in the box for Organized Play) or should the cards in the character decks be recorded and divided back into the box? I'm guessing option two, but again it should probably be explicitly stated.


Pathfinder Card Game Subscriber

You purge Basic and Elite cards from the main box, when the senario tells you to, but there is no mention of if you purge them from your class deck. Was that intentional that you could still get a basic card as a senario reward even when you get to senario pack 5 and 6?


Pathfinder Card Game Subscriber
pluvia33 wrote:


-Is it okay to have the Character Add-On Deck from Rise of the Runelords included in the box?

-What about even mixing the Rise of the Runelords Base Set, or select cards from it?

-How about if someone wants to get extra Class Decks for their box to increase/diversify their pool of boons?

-if the base set being used for organized play is someone's personal copy and there is a normal Skull & Shackles Adventure Path game being played with it, is it okay for the characters in that game to have their decks kept together

I'd guess no to all of these. At least for OP, and especially reporting/recording your character. When playing on your own, you can do whatever you want


Pathfinder Card Game Subscriber
agraham2410 wrote:
You purge Basic and Elite cards from the main box, when the senario tells you to, but there is no mention of if you purge them from your class deck. Was that intentional that you could still get a basic card as a senario reward even when you get to senario pack 5 and 6?

Just like how you would still be able to get basic cards that late in a regular game, its just less likely.


Pathfinder Card Game Subscriber
eddiephlash wrote:
agraham2410 wrote:
You purge Basic and Elite cards from the main box, when the senario tells you to, but there is no mention of if you purge them from your class deck. Was that intentional that you could still get a basic card as a senario reward even when you get to senario pack 5 and 6?
Just like how you would still be able to get basic cards that late in a regular game, its just less likely.

They can also just make the reward say "Each character draws a random non-basic, non-elite boon from their class deck." That would solve the basic/elite problem for class decks.


Fantastic, reading now :D


Promo Cards: Promo cards may not be used when building Adventure
Card Guild character decks. You may add up to 12 promo
cards to the box, but you may not add more than 1 copy
of any one card.

Am I reading that right? I can use Fire Sneeze? How do you determine the Level of a Promo Card?


Pathfinder Card Game Subscriber

Promo cards can be added when you have them. If I were to replay RotR today, I'd put all the promo cards in from the beginning.


So as soon as I get a boon of similar stats I can place firesneeze in my deck? yay!


rewards for my PFS character? this is freaking awesome, great job paizo, there are things here I didn't see coming :D


Pathfinder Card Game Subscriber
Yoshua wrote:
So as soon as I get a boon of similar stats I can place firesneeze in my deck? yay!

Not exactly. The rules say you can add promos to the base set.

OP Guide wrote:
You may add up to 12 promo cards to the box, but you may not add more than 1 copy of any one card.

But you can't have them as part of your character deck when you build or rebuild your character.

OP Guide wrote:

Promo cards may not be used when building Adventure

Card Guild character decks.

So, you can find the promos in locations and stuff, but at the end of the OP scenario you can't keep the promo in your deck.


That isn't the way I read it. It says you cannot use them when building/rebuilding your deck, but I do not see where it says they can not be used to upgrade your already built deck.

You could be, and probably are, right, but I am saying the way it is worded leaves it up to interpretation.

To close that loop hole the words "or upgrading" should be added after "when building" in the promo cards section.

I would like to be able to use promo cards in my deck, I get that I would have to earn them and would be fine with that. Either by swapping out a boon like normal boons for the class deck, or being restricted to only getting a promo card for my class deck if the group actually looted it during a session.

Example: the miniatures they are producing will have promo cards specific to my wizard, I want that promo card because, well, I love promo cards. I want the miniature for the orgranized play and will buy it for the organized play. I would also like a way to use the promo card that is specifically for a wizard that comes with that set in my class deck too. But the game organizers are not required to buy the miniatures so it is very unlikely to see those specific boons in the game box.

Editted: An example of allowing this could be having the game organizer, official, sign off on a chronicle sheet in which a player earned a promo card, which would make that promo card legal for play in their class deck?


Solo Play/Home Play

They say that you can get chronicle boons for the Pathfinder Society RPG play from these rounds. How does this work with home play scenarios? Can you only get these boons at organized events? What if there are no events available in your area? Do you miss out on these boons?

Page 9 wrote:


Pathfinder Society Roleplaying
Guild Rewards
Some Adventure Card Guild scenarios grant rewards that
can be assigned to Pathfinder Society Roleplaying Guild
characters. These rewards will be listed on the Chronicle
sheet, and you should record the Pathfinder Society Number
of the RPG character that will be receiving the reward.


Pathfinder Card Game Subscriber
Yoshua wrote:

That isn't the way I read it. It says you cannot use them when building/rebuilding your deck, but I do not see where it says they can not be used to upgrade your already built deck.

You could be, and probably are, right, but I am saying the way it is worded leaves it up to interpretation.

To close that loop hole the words "or upgrading" should be added after "when building" in the promo cards section.

I would like to be able to use promo cards in my deck, I get that I would have to earn them and would be fine with that. Either by swapping out a boon like normal boons for the class deck, or being restricted to only getting a promo card for my class deck if the group actually looted it during a session.

Example: the miniatures they are producing will have promo cards specific to my wizard, I want that promo card because, well, I love promo cards. I want the miniature for the orgranized play and will buy it for the organized play. I would also like a way to use the promo card that is specifically for a wizard that comes with that set in my class deck too. But the game organizers are not required to buy the miniatures so it is very unlikely to see those specific boons in the game box.

Editted: An example of allowing this could be having the game organizer, official, sign off on a chronicle sheet in which a player earned a promo card, which would make that promo card legal for play in their class deck?

Right, so you can't start with them. And then the rules say that when you rebuild your deck at the end of the scenario you do so only with cards from the class deck.

GUide To Pathfinder Society Adventure Card Guild Organized Play v1.0 p7 wrote:
In Adventure Card Guild play, you don’t get to keep the cards that you’ve acquired or otherwise gained during the scenario. Instead, you use them to determine which cards you get to take from your own Class Deck box.

So any promo card you've acquired or gained during the scenario couldn't be kept. Instead, it would be a a card you'd use to determine which cards you get to keep from your class deck. And the promo card isn't part of your class deck.

Hopefully the cards in the class deck will be so awesome this won't be an issue anyway.


I agree with everything you said there, except in the promo cards section on page 6 doesn't differentiate which 'box' and it should be a loop hole tied up.

I do think you are right, in how I am reading it now, but the fact that it isn't how I read it when I read it the first time means I am not the only person that could be confused by the wording in the promo cards.

Or, they did mean 12 possible cards to your class box.


Can characters get more than one card? For small groups it isn't hard to get a big stack of new cards.

If one player takes an Ally 3, giving up an Ally 2, is that ally available for other players to take? This is normal in regular PACG, particularly for items and spells that can be used by multiple players.

For Obey the Process, why are things card specific? I might just want 'ally of level 2+'; only card types and levels matter since the actual cards come from our decks. Also, if everyone were to want the same item then you wouldn't necessarily want to put it first on your list. Say that there are 6 players and the found cards are Item 4, Item 3, and Item B x4. The obvious thing to do is write 'I4, I3, IB1 ... IB4' on all lists, giving each player a 1/6 chance if I4. But if one player writes 'I3, I4, IB1 ... IB4' then the chances of getting the item are 4/5*1/2 = 2/5. Overall, you have a 3/5 chance of getting a good item instead of 1/3 chance.

I'll put some thought into a better Obey the Process, although any scheme will run into the same problems as voting for more than two candidates.

Once banished boons would leave the game, can you banish cards from the character deck box?

Paizo Employee Chief Technical Officer

Oh, er. I missed this thread somehow. I'll answer the questions that have already been asked, but please post new questions to this thread.

Shadow Lodge

Vic, you are doing an amazing job. I just wanted you to be reassured of that. Thank you. :)

Paizo Employee Chief Technical Officer

pluvia33 wrote:

So I've read it over a few times. There are a few things that I think should probably be talked about in the Adventure Card Guild Special Rules section, mostly pertaining to adding cards to the box other than the Skull & Shackles Base Set, Skull & Shackles Character Add-On Deck, and Promo Cards:

-Is it okay to have the Character Add-On Deck from Rise of the Runelords included in the box? I actually considered buying one, having never bought the Runelords Base Set, to add to my Skull & Shackles set to have more character options and boons, but ultimately decided against it due to being worried about the China/USA printer issue. Others may have had a similar idea.

-What about even mixing the Rise of the Runelords Base Set, or select cards from it? Most people probably wouldn't do this, but it should probably still be mentioned. I'm guessing that all Rise of the Runelords cards should be kept far away from an Organized Play session. Is that the intent?

-How about if someone wants to get extra Class Decks for their box to increase/diversify their pool of boons? Is it okay to have the boons from Class Decks included in an Organized Play box? If so, should it be limited to a maximum of one deck of each class?

-And one last issue of actually taking cards out of the box; if the base set being used for organized play is someone's personal copy and there is a normal Skull & Shackles Adventure Path game being played with it, is it okay for the characters in that game to have their decks kept together (taking them out of the boons available in the box for Organized Play) or should the cards in the character decks be recorded and divided back into the box? I'm guessing option two, but again it should probably be explicitly stated.

The OP adventures will tell you which cards should be in the box for each adventure (and for Season of the Shackles, it's only Skull & Shackles cards). In addition, the Guide tells you you can add up to 12 promo cards (and we don't care what set those come from).

Regarding your last point, we expect all of the cards to be present, so yeah, option 2.

Paizo Employee Chief Technical Officer

agraham2410 wrote:
You purge Basic and Elite cards from the main box, when the senario tells you to, but there is no mention of if you purge them from your class deck. Was that intentional that you could still get a basic card as a senario reward even when you get to senario pack 5 and 6?

You don't purge them from your class deck, but we have the ability to reward you with non-Basic or non-Basic, Non-Elite cards if we want to.

Paizo Employee Chief Technical Officer

Hawkmoon269 wrote:
Promo cards can be added when you have them. If I were to replay RotR today, I'd put all the promo cards in from the beginning.

The S&S rulebook now specifies how to deal with promo cards:

S&S Rulebook wrote:
If you have a character promo card, you can use it right away, but you shouldn’t add other promo cards to the game until you begin the first chapter of the Adventure Path. If you have a ship promo card, as soon as you have checked off any ships of the same class on your fleet card, you may treat the promo card as if it has been checked off as well...

That's for standard play.

The Guide overrides the first sentence for Org Play, kind of, by telling you you can put them in the box right away, but since Org Play begins with the first chapter of its adventure path, the result is the same. (The individual Season of the Shackles scenarios tell you which classes of ships you can use for each scenario.)

And yeah, as confirmed in the other thread, while you can acquire promo cards during play and use them for the duration of a scenario, they can never stay in your character deck between scenarios.

Paizo Employee Chief Technical Officer

mlvanbie wrote:

Can characters get more than one card? For small groups it isn't hard to get a big stack of new cards.

If one player takes an Ally 3, giving up an Ally 2, is that ally available for other players to take? This is normal in regular PACG, particularly for items and spells that can be used by multiple players.

For Obey the Process, why are things card specific? I might just want 'ally of level 2+'; only card types and levels matter since the actual cards come from our decks. Also, if everyone were to want the same item then you wouldn't necessarily want to put it first on your list. Say that there are 6 players and the found cards are Item 4, Item 3, and Item B x4. The obvious thing to do is write 'I4, I3, IB1 ... IB4' on all lists, giving each player a 1/6 chance if I4. But if one player writes 'I3, I4, IB1 ... IB4' then the chances of getting the item are 4/5*1/2 = 2/5. Overall, you have a 3/5 chance of getting a good item instead of 1/3 chance.

I'll put some thought into a better Obey the Process, although any scheme will run into the same problems as voting for more than two candidates.

Once banished boons would leave the game, can you banish cards from the character deck box?

One card upgrade per scenario (which may be in addition to other card rewards in some scenarios). See the other thread for an explanation.

Sorry I can't address your other questions here—I've got to run, but you'll find some of the answers you seek in the other thread.


First, thanks for putting this together, I am looking forward to playing more scenarios :)

Some comments mainly about the acquisition of new cards at the end of a scenario:

1) In regular play, the person who acquired the cards, i.e. currently buried under his character, in his discard pile, or in his deck gets 1st pick of those cards. Any he doesn't select, go to the center of the table for anyone else to acquire. This helps prevent stuff like the Wizard taking the best weapon that the Fighter acquired, or the Rogue taking the Spell that the Wizard acquired, etc.

2) The whole "Follow the Process" just seems way to wordy and time consuming. Why not something as simple as: "Players roll D12s to determine who gets first pick of a new card. Highest roll picks first. Resolve any ties. Each player in order then picks a new card." Having one simple process would speed things up. No need to write down a list, etc.

Comments about it being a cooperative game, and not being selfish are great. But in the end, a simple resolution when agreement cannot be reached is good. And if a player wants to be selfish all the time, then he'll simply end up playing solo as nobody will want to play with him.

Paizo Employee Chief Technical Officer

Please head to this thread for discussion of the actual contents of the Guide, including commentary on the process. (Short version: This is the method we're using for Season 0. Try it out and tell us about it in that thread.)


More free stuff to be had :)

Paizo Employee Community & Digital Content Director

Updated for Season of the Righteous! Go go go! :D

Grand Lodge

New download not working.

Paizo Employee Community & Digital Content Director

I've given it a swift kick in our system so you should be able to grab it now.

Paizo Employee Community & Digital Content Director

Updated to version 2.1 to include:

  • Explanation of unsanctioned play
  • Clarification of tier advancement
  • Definition of "Unlock"
  • Changes to promo card rules
  • Additions to "Taking One for the Team"
  • Reinstated solo play rules

Liberty's Edge

Yoshua, in the second edition of the guide, there is a rule that says that you can use the iconic heros cards as if they were in your class deck as long as they have the Owner trait for one of the characters in the deck.


Pathfinder Card Game Subscriber

Excellent choice on using Sajan for the examples in the newest update. You can't go wrong with monks.

Sovereign Court

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Card Game, Class Deck, Maps Subscriber

You can if you forget his power to recharge any blessings he uses on a combat check.

Scarab Sages

Pathfinder Card Game Subscriber

Oh no new tier advancement rules! My Forever Tier 2 Cogsnap I started building for Cons must advance to next tier now. Oh well...


This is probably the wrong place to ask this (I’m new here), but having picked up Skull & Shackles during the latest sale, I was wondering if there are plans for a “Season of the Goblins 2” using the Skull & Shackles base set? I was excited to play SotG, but realized you needed RotR for that. RotR is tricky to come by these days.


Pathfinder Card Game Subscriber

First, welcome. Not sure if you are new to Paizo or new to the Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, but either way, welcome.

This would probably be a better place to ask. I haven't seen any indication that such a thing would be in the works. I think it would be a great idea though. I just played Season of the Goblins during the Play By Forum Outpost Event. After we finished the season we decided to dive head first into Adventure 3 of Season of the Righteous.


Thanks, Hawkmoon. New to posting at Paizo. Since I saw all the Society PDFs at the top of this page I thought I was in the right spot, but I’ll try the link you provided. On an unrelated note, thanks for all the great posts and advice you give here and on BGG. It really helps!

Community / Forums / Paizo / Product Discussion / Pathfinder Society Adventure Card Guild Guide PDF All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.