Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (PFRPG)

***** (based on 2 ratings)
Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (PFRPG)
Show Description For:
Non-Mint

Add Print Edition $19.99

Add PDF $13.99

Add Non-Mint $19.99 $14.99

Facebook Twitter Email

Lords of Sin

Demons have plagued heroes since the dawn of time. They are legion, as varied as the countless mortal sins that give them birth, and ever eager for new opportunities to destroy the works of humanity. Yet despite the danger, arrogant mortals remain fascinated by demons, and may be the key by which these fiends shall inherit the world!

Demons Revisited presents 10 of the game’s most notorious demons, providing details on the sins that spawn each type, what roles they play on the Abyss, and what particular devastations they prefer to wreak on the mortal realm, given the chance. In addition, each chapter presents a list of unique demons drawn from the Pathfinder campaign setting, along with a full stat block for some of the most powerful demons of their kind.

Inside this book, you’ll find:

  • Balors, the greatest of the demon races and rulers of their own Abyssal realms.
  • Invidiaks, known also as shadow demons—fiends of envy who exist only to possess the bodies of the living.
  • Mariliths, demonic multi-armed generals born from the souls of the most arrogant and proud evil souls.
  • Succubi, beautiful but deadly seductresses who use charm, subtlety, and mind-control to achieve power.
  • Vrocks, bestial and foul avian demons born of wrath and hate.
  • Five other demon types: the slime-dripping babaus, the honey-tongued glabrezus, the toad-like hezrous, the gluttonous nabasus, and the greed-spawned nalfeshnees.
Demons Revisited is intended for use with the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game and Pathfinder campaign setting, but can easily be used in any fantasy game setting.

Written by James Jacobs.
Cover Art by Jesper Ejsing.

ISBN-13: 978-1-60125-552-5

Note: This product is part of the Pathfinder Campaign Setting Subscription.

Product Availability

Print Edition: Ships from our warehouse in 1 to 7 business days.

PDF: Will be added to your My Downloads Page immediately upon purchase of PDF.

Non-Mint: Ships from our warehouse in 1 to 7 business days. This product is non-mint. Refunds are not available for non-mint products. The standard version of this product can be found here.

Are there errors or omissions in this product information? Got corrections? Let us know at store@paizo.com.

PZO9261


See Also:

Average product rating:

***** (based on 2 ratings)

Sign in to create or edit a product review.

Great book!

*****

Read my full review on Of Dice and Pen.

Demons are popular antagonists in many Pathfinder games (not to mention numerous other roleplaying games as well). While they are in the limelight at the moment in many recent products, they have always shown up with regularity in Pathfinder products and adventures. Demons Revisited by James Jacobs is another of the recent books focusing heavily on demons—indeed, in this case, focusing entirely on demons. One of the strengths of this book is that, while it is a great stand-alone product that looks at ten specific demon types in detail, it is also the perfect companion product to several others. Combining them all together provides a huge wealth of information and adventuring opportunities, giving demons a life and “reality” that most other monsters in the game don’t have.


The Best Revisited Book I've Read

*****

I didn't think this book could top Fey Revisited. I was wrong.

Within you will find delicious details on the Abyssal ecology, wrap your brain around the ineffable evil of beings who enjoy the infliction of suffering and chew on some wonderful crunch.

The Half-Fiend templates will add some wonderful variety to the creatures you'll be able sic on PCs and there's some nice Easter eggs for what (I hope) may possibly be future APs. In short, this book was everything I wanted since it was announced, my only complaint is that it's too short!


1 to 50 of 200 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | next > last >>
Webstore Gninja Minion

Announced! Cover image is a mockup and subject to change.


Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Bewteen this and the Mythic Handbook, August is going to be such an expensive month...and yet so worth it.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Companion, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

This will more then likely be the first revisited book I will not get.

Dark Archive

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Take it this will have the standard Iconic/ monster chapter opening? (Also to early to ask which Iconics ae in it?)

Dark Archive

6 people marked this as a favorite.

Succubi totally deserve their own hardback book.


Very nice! Will there be a similar product for the diabolic?


I had a feeling this was coming down the pike! This will be the first revisited book I've really been interested to see in quite awhile. Keep them coming guys, and I'll keep buying them even if I'm not all that interested.

Sovereign Court

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules Subscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber

Yet another evil outsider book?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Kevin Mack wrote:
Take it this will have the standard Iconic/ monster chapter opening? (Also to early to ask which Iconics ae in it?)

It will indeed. And while I have sent in the art order, and know which 10 iconics will be featured in those ten openings... that's a revelation I would prefer to be something that happens once the book is out.

AND: Whew... I can finally talk in public about this book!

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Shalafi2412 wrote:
Very nice! Will there be a similar product for the diabolic?

Maybe someday. But the existence of "Demons Revisited" does not guarantee "Devils Revisited."

Dark Archive

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
James Jacobs wrote:
Kevin Mack wrote:
Take it this will have the standard Iconic/ monster chapter opening? (Also to early to ask which Iconics ae in it?)

It will indeed. And while I have sent in the art order, and know which 10 iconics will be featured in those ten openings... that's a revelation I would prefer to be something that happens once the book is out.

AND: Whew... I can finally talk in public about this book!

It done in the standard way as most of these books or more like the undead one?

Dark Archive

Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Companion, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

This was the key phrase for me:

Quote:
...each chapter presents rules for specialized half-fiend templates—half-demons designed specifically to evoke the features and powers of a fiendish parent.

I know there was a web enhancement for the 3.5 Fiendish Codex I that had similar material, but still, it's nice to get it in print, and with specific templates, rather than just the rough guidelines in the web enhancement.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Kevin Mack wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Kevin Mack wrote:
Take it this will have the standard Iconic/ monster chapter opening? (Also to early to ask which Iconics ae in it?)

It will indeed. And while I have sent in the art order, and know which 10 iconics will be featured in those ten openings... that's a revelation I would prefer to be something that happens once the book is out.

AND: Whew... I can finally talk in public about this book!

It done in the standard way as most of these books or more like the undead one?

As in, do we illustrate the iconics getting killed by demons more often than not?

Kinda.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

4 people marked this as a favorite.
Kvantum wrote:

This was the key phrase for me:

Quote:
...each chapter presents rules for specialized half-fiend templates—half-demons designed specifically to evoke the features and powers of a fiendish parent.
I know there was a web enhancement for the 3.5 Fiendish Codex I that had similar material, but still, it's nice to get it in print, and with specific templates, rather than just the rough guidelines in the web enhancement.

That was something I really tried to get into Fiendish Codex, but it got condensed and finally cut from the final book. I wasn't quite happy with the way the web enhancement turned out.

So, yeah. Took me half a decade or so, but I'm gonna finally get to scratch that itch in this book.

(It always bothered me that a half-succubus had the exact same stats as a half-hezrou, for example...)


I approve of the list of demons to be 'revisited'. Not that I am against any of the other/newer types published by Paizo. It's just that one would need demons that've been around for quite a while in order to 'revisit' them and make them 'fresh'. That the demons chosen all come from the first Bestiary is a plus! That six of the classical seven deadly sins are represented is great, too! (The sin of sloth, which results in multiple dretches, isn't represented, but I'd rather that higher level demons be revisited than near-mindless, low-level ones.)

All in all, it looks like this new addition to the '...Revisited' line has a solid foundation.

Unlike -:
On the other hand, another soon to be released '...Revisited' book's choice seems a little ... unintuitive. (And I'm not saying that it's bad - it hasn't been released yet.) Good thing I like fey, though.

Can't wait! ^^

Carry on!

-- C.


Thank you Paizo! I haven't been this excited about a Revisited book since Classic Horrors Revisited. The choice of demons makes perfect sense, I think. They're classic villains and it'll be good to get some Pathfinder-specific lore on them. The fact that this'll be a tremendous resource for those of us planning on running Wrath of the Righteous just adds to the value.

I really like that there's a focus these days on diversifying game mechanics such as the half-fiend template and the aasimar/tiefling/dhampir. It just makes a lot of sense that offspring of the different types of fiends (whether they be outsiders, undead, or something else) exhibit different qualities.

Contributor

Do Want. :D

Contributor

James Jacobs wrote:
Shalafi2412 wrote:
Very nice! Will there be a similar product for the diabolic?

Maybe someday. But the existence of "Demons Revisited" does not guarantee "Devils Revisited."

But I bet that an Adventure Path based around trouncing devils would certainly guarantee the existence of a "Devils Revisited" book, eh? :-P


Yay! Here I'd thought Paizo had been fiended out, but I see I was wrong. I'll definitely be getting this one.

Dark Archive

Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Companion, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
James Jacobs wrote:
(It always bothered me that a half-succubus had the exact same stats as a half-hezrou, for example...)

Exactly! You're not the only one bugged by that little point.


Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Companion Subscriber
James Jacobs wrote:
Kvantum wrote:

This was the key phrase for me:

Quote:
...each chapter presents rules for specialized half-fiend templates—half-demons designed specifically to evoke the features and powers of a fiendish parent.
I know there was a web enhancement for the 3.5 Fiendish Codex I that had similar material, but still, it's nice to get it in print, and with specific templates, rather than just the rough guidelines in the web enhancement.

That was something I really tried to get into Fiendish Codex, but it got condensed and finally cut from the final book. I wasn't quite happy with the way the web enhancement turned out.

So, yeah. Took me half a decade or so, but I'm gonna finally get to scratch that itch in this book.

(It always bothered me that a half-succubus had the exact same stats as a half-hezrou, for example...)

Sweet, On my must buy list 10,000%


YESSSSSSSSS!

The book I've been waiting for since the Fiendish Codex! Mr. Jacobs, I've said this before and I'll probably say it again in the future, you are the man!

-begins countdown to August-


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Oh man. The article on the Shadow Demon alone has me automatically buying this. Definitely my favorite demon. I do hope there is a Devil's Revisited, only to have options for devil half-fiends specific templates. C'mon SChneider! You're our diabolical champion!

Just a question. Will it clear up the Shadow Demon's magic jar/possession a bit? I know there are still people I know that don't know if a shadow demon leaves its body behind when it magic jars or not.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Odraude wrote:

Oh man. The article on the Shadow Demon alone has me automatically buying this. Definitely my favorite demon. I do hope there is a Devil's Revisited, only to have options for devil half-fiends specific templates. C'mon SChneider! You're our diabolical champion!

Just a question. Will it clear up the Shadow Demon's magic jar/possession a bit? I know there are still people I know that don't know if a shadow demon leaves its body behind when it magic jars or not.

The chapter on Invidiaks (the racial name for shadow demons) will indeed not only talk about how their magic jar and possession rules work, but will also present a few "possession friendly feats" for any creature (but particularly shadow demons) who use magic jar.


Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Companion Subscriber

Any chance something like the Heritor feats being in this book?


James Jacobs wrote:
Odraude wrote:

Oh man. The article on the Shadow Demon alone has me automatically buying this. Definitely my favorite demon. I do hope there is a Devil's Revisited, only to have options for devil half-fiends specific templates. C'mon SChneider! You're our diabolical champion!

Just a question. Will it clear up the Shadow Demon's magic jar/possession a bit? I know there are still people I know that don't know if a shadow demon leaves its body behind when it magic jars or not.

The chapter on Invidiaks (the racial name for shadow demons) will indeed not only talk about how their magic jar and possession rules work, but will also present a few "possession friendly feats" for any creature (but particularly shadow demons) who use magic jar.

I can dig it. Excellent!


looking forward to example npc demons

if only we could have this type of book for other outsiders

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Azure_Zero wrote:
Any chance something like the Heritor feats being in this book?

Nope. Heritor feats are intrinsically a Player option, and this book is not about the players; it's about the demons.


Awesome!!! Can't wait!

Be sure to give all creatures in this book new artworks, I really don't want to see re-used art for this!

ANyway daemons and devils next? :P


What are Heritor Feats?


Odraude wrote:
What are Heritor Feats?

In Fiendish Codex and that series of books for 3e, there were a series of feats with the word 'Heritor' in the title, as in 'inheritance'. Basically Tiefling lite feats to either add a little fiendish blood to your character or inject more ichor into your Tiefling.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber
James Jacobs wrote:
(It always bothered me that a half-succubus had the exact same stats as a half-hezrou, for example...)

Will the half-succubus template, applied to a human, give you something akin to an alu-demon, or are the alu-demons considered some special type of succubus child?

Silver Crusade

Oh hells yes. And my favorites made it in. :D

This book is going to be a treat. Really excited to see those full chapter treatments on mariliths, babaus, and glabrezus in particular.

realizes that this is the most expansion and exploration each of these individual demon types have gotten in one go

Silver Crusade

I'm now wondering if the sample NPC example at the end of each chapter(if this book follows the same format as the rest of the Revisited line) will be the half-fiend variants rather than the demons themselves. Or will that half-fiend material be towards the middle of the article instead, with or without art?

I'm honestly torn. On the one hand, art of a unique demon example. On the other, art of some half-fiends that haven't been seen before.

I weep for that poor half-babau's clothing and furniture.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Sincubus wrote:

Awesome!!! Can't wait!

Be sure to give all creatures in this book new artworks, I really don't want to see re-used art for this!

ANyway daemons and devils next? :P

Not necessarially.

There's 2 big reasons this book is happening.

1) It supports the Wrath of the Righteous Adventure Path.

2) I wanted to write it.

If this book does really well, then a Devils Revisited and Daemons Revisited is a no-brainer next choice to do. I kinda think it's a no-brainer already. But back to back against the demons book and without a devil heavy or daemon heavy adventure path... probably not soon.

We'll see!

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Bluescale wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
(It always bothered me that a half-succubus had the exact same stats as a half-hezrou, for example...)
Will the half-succubus template, applied to a human, give you something akin to an alu-demon, or are the alu-demons considered some special type of succubus child?

Alu-demons are different than the half-succubus template. Full details on the differences between an alu-demon and a half-succubus will be in this book.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Mikaze wrote:

I'm now wondering if the sample NPC example at the end of each chapter(if this book follows the same format as the rest of the Revisited line) will be the half-fiend variants rather than the demons themselves. Or will that half-fiend material be towards the middle of the article instead, with or without art?

I'm honestly torn. On the one hand, art of a unique demon example. On the other, art of some half-fiends that haven't been seen before.

I weep for that poor half-babau's clothing and furniture.

One big element of this book is that each chapter will have a short list of named demons that PCs and NPCs can summon; specific demons that can be called upon for specific tasks.

The sample stats for each chapter will present one of the more powerful named demons from those lists, many of whom have already been mentioned in previous products. The CRs of these ten demons will range from CR 16 to CR 25, with no CR repetitions.

The half-fiend stuff is a single short sidebar for each demon. The half fiends won't be getting art in this book; they're a 200 word or so short side discussion away from the main topic.


James Jacobs wrote:


Kevin Mack wrote:


Take it this will have the standard Iconic/ monster chapter opening? (Also to early to ask which Iconics ae in it?)

It will indeed. And while I have sent in the art order, and know which 10 iconics will be featured in those ten openings... that's a revelation I would prefer to be something that happens once the book is out.

AND: Whew... I can finally talk in public about this book!

I usually stick to the RPG line, but I'm looking forward to this one. Nobody quite does Demons like you :)

Silver Crusade

James Jacobs wrote:


One big element of this book is that each chapter will have a short list of named demons that PCs and NPCs can summon; specific demons that can be called upon for specific tasks.

Oh man I am looking forward to this. :)


No Shadow Demon?

I am disappointed by this.

Silver Crusade

Icyshadow wrote:

No Shadow Demon?

I am disappointed by this.

Look again! :)


James Jacobs wrote:
One big element of this book is that each chapter will have a short list of named demons that PCs and NPCs can summon; specific demons that can be called upon for specific tasks.

Are we talking name and type only? Or super brief bit of fluff for each as well?

Quote:
The sample stats for each chapter will present one of the more powerful named demons from those lists, many of whom have already been mentioned in previous products. The CRs of these ten demons will range from CR 16 to CR 25, with no CR repetitions.

Sounds like good choices for main villains for demon-focused campaigns. It'll be very interesting to see high-level named demons of the "lesser" demon varities and how one might spin a campaign around them.

Quote:
The half-fiend stuff is a single short sidebar for each demon. The half fiends won't be getting art in this book; they're a 200 word or so short side discussion away from the main topic.

I'm loving this aspect of Demons Revisited and I hope it's something you'll consider for future fiend-focused Revisited books.


Icyshadow wrote:

No Shadow Demon?

I am disappointed by this.

I have good news

Quote:
Invidiaks, known also as shadow demons—fiends of envy who exist only to possess the bodies of the living for their own nefarious desires.


...huh, a sudden name change.

Shows what I know about them, then.


Yeah that is weird. Usually, when a fiend has a more generic name (contract devil), they tend to have the proper name in parenthesis (phistophilus). Don't see one for shadow demons. Odd, but hey, it's cool to see them in there.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Heine Stick wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
One big element of this book is that each chapter will have a short list of named demons that PCs and NPCs can summon; specific demons that can be called upon for specific tasks.
Are we talking name and type only? Or super brief bit of fluff for each as well?

Name, type, class and level, what kinds of offerings they prefer, and a line of flavor text.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Odraude wrote:
Yeah that is weird. Usually, when a fiend has a more generic name (contract devil), they tend to have the proper name in parenthesis (phistophilus). Don't see one for shadow demons. Odd, but hey, it's cool to see them in there.

Actually... look at all the demons. The shadow demon is the odd one out; all other demons we do have their demon name front and center—babau, balor, nabasu, succubus, shemhazian, coloxus, incubus, etc.

The shadow demon's name change actually happened back in Robin Laws' novel "The Worldwound Gambit," and we've used the name here and there since then.

But giving them a demon name makes them fit in with all the other demons for the first time since they were invented, which I'm pretty eager for.

DEVILS, on the other hand, are organized the exact opposite; they have their descriptive name first (horned devil, barbed devil, etc.) in most cases, with their race name later.

Anyway, it's not a sudden name change. Just not one we've trumpeted this loud before, I guess.


Cool cool. I can dig it.


•Babaus = I really like to see more of them! For the new babau entree I like to see a babau that steals blood from victims and uses the blood as armor and weapons, it works much like the red ooze defensive armor, but instead its blood and the babau can animate it to create weapons/shields and stuff out of it. (much like witchblade, but then with blood)

•Balors = Normally I don't really like the higher CR monsters all that much, but Balors are an exception to that as they are just soooo cool! The only thing I want from Balor in this book is good art, as the only art i've seen so far of them in bestiary 1 is kinda fat and not really dangrous looking like it should. I'm also very curious at the new balor entry.

•Glabrezus = I really like these demons, one of my favorites! I really like they are like the djinn from the wishmaster, giving people wishes and then turn the wish against the wisher, really neat for any adventure! The GLabrezu itself is already very good in every way so I can't imagen what advanced Glabrezu we gonna see here.

•Hezrous = I love their pollution stuff, everywhere the hezrou travels filth, pollution and horrible monsters such as otyughs and boggarts follow. I would like to see a Hezrou that can spawn two smaller versions of itself from its back, much like the Pod Demon from 4th edition D&D and from the x-men villian Tusk. It just fit the toad-thing.

•Invidiaks = Shadow demons are far from my favorites but at least they got their own demon name now. I don't really like them because of the Dybbuk and Nihiloi having such an similiar look/role and I like those 2 better than the shadow demon, also a shadow itself can of course take any form it desires so also that of a shadow demon. I really hope to be blown away by the shadow demons in this book tho, but for now its the least of the 10 for me personally.

•Mariliths - From my least to my all time favorite monster! Everything abou the marilith is cool! 6 armed lady snakes with all kinds of weapons which train other demons to use weapons and to fight are always nice. I'm so glad the Marilith was open content, I wouldn't want to see any game without them. THe extra Marilith could be something with magic, as the real Marilith is so melee-based the new Marilith variant could be magic based, casting more spells at the same time, ala Spell Weavers.

•Nabasus - Oops when I mentioned the Shadow Demon being my least favorite demon I forgot about the Nabasu, with barghests and Gargoyles and Cornugons there, I see little use for Nabasu, I just wished the Barghest was the same CR as the Nabasu and a demon, I really think barghests look demonic enough to be demons in some future edition. But of course the Revisited books can bring new hope and light on any creature, it made me actually like Yeti's and Sasquatch so there is hope for Nabasu still, but for now its not my favorite demon, and it probably never will be.

•Nalfeshnees - I really hate the wings on these creatures, it takes away the serious part for me, if they were wingless they would be much better. I really like their roles tho, greedy creatures are always nice in stories and adventures as they only think about themselves and that makes them very dangerous, not my favorite demon, but a real classic!

•Succubi = Succubi and Incubi were always my favorite monsters, on every forum I used another name with something of Incubus or Succubus in it. Lately tho (because of the Erinyes/Pairaka from pathfinder) they started to decline in my all-time favorite list. With so much other seducive monsters with much better roles and apperances the succubi need some very cool new variant to bring itself above those other monsters again. And Alu-Demon/Cambion and all that half-stuff isn't going to work as I really disliked those from the start. Maybe Lilims might do?

•Vrocks = Ahh the lovely vrocks, the vultures of the abyss! I like everything about them, they just have such a nice abilities (spores / dance of ruin) and they are just plain nasty! The only thing I don't like of their Pathfinder variants is the red colour, as most demons are red they just don't stand out anymore with their sick purple/blue colour they had in D&D. The variant could be based on another bird or vulture? Like the King Vulture, or the white vultures that pick up bones and drop them from great hights to break them.

Anyway I can't really wait!

I would rather have seen the Kalavakus / Omox instead of Shadow Demon / Nabasu, but I understand the reason as those are classics and the Omox and Kalavakus not just yet, well for me they kinda are classics already as I really love the name Omox and the possibilities with the Kalvakus are many. Hope to see more about those 2 in the Demonic adventure path.

1 to 50 of 200 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Paizo / Product Discussion / Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (PFRPG) All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.