Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Pathfinder Adventure Card Game Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Pathfinder Adventures Pathfinder Campaign Setting Pathfinder Player Companion Pathfinder Accessories Pathfinder Miniatures Pathfinder Fiction Pathfinder® Society™ Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Compatible Products Pathfinder Apparel & Gifts Pathfinder Licensed Products
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Irrisen—Land of Eternal Winter (PFRPG)

***** (based on 3 ratings)
Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Irrisen—Land of Eternal Winter (PFRPG)
Show Description For:
Non-Mint

Add Print Edition: $19.99

Add PDF: $13.99

Non-Mint: Unavailable

Facebook Twitter Email

Far to the north lies a realm that the seasons never touch, where snow lies heavy on the ground all year and winter never releases its icy grip. A country ruled by White Witches with hearts as cold as the north wind—the daughters of the Queen of Witches herself, Baba Yaga—and supported on the backs of a conquered, enslaved people. A place where frost giants and hateful fey are respected citizens, and winter wolves stalk the streets in human form. This is the nation of Irrisen, a land cloaked in unceasing winter for 1,400 years.

Irrisen, Land of Eternal Winter presents a comprehensive overview of this frigid kingdom, where the imperious control of the ruling class stifles the residents just as strongly as the harsh, never-ending winter.

Inside this book, you'll find:

  • A detailed exploration of the nation of Irrisen, from the icy fey stronghold of Feyfrost to the frozen forest of Hoarwood, including an extensive timeline of Irrisen's history and notes on traditional Irriseni holidays.
  • Detailed maps of Irrisen's six provinces and half a dozen of its most important towns and cities, from Queen Elvanna's capital of Whitethrone to the industrial town of Morozny.
  • Complete stat blocks for each of Irrisen's provinces and their capitals, detailing major settlements and notable denizens.
  • Numerous sites and events where adventure can be found, as well as hazards and afflictions that threaten visitors to these snowy lands.
  • A bestiary of new monsters and NPCs from Irrisen, such as Baba Yaga's Three Riders, the boreal creature template, and sample winter witches.

Irrisen, Land of Eternal Winter is intended for use with the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game and Pathfinder campaign setting, but can easily be used in any fantasy game setting.

By Mike Shel

ISBN-13: 978-1-60125-486-3

Note: This product is part of the Pathfinder Campaign Setting Subscription.

Product Availability


Print Edition: Ships from our warehouse in 2 to 14 business days.

PDF: Fulfilled immediately. Will be added to your My Downloads Page immediately upon purchase of PDF.

Non-Mint: Unavailable This product is non-mint. Refunds are not available for non-mint products. The standard version of this product can be found here.

Are there errors or omissions in this product information? Got corrections? Let us know at webmaster@paizo.com.

PZO9253


See Also:



Product Discussion (177)
1 to 50 of 177 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | next > last >>
Paizo Employee Chief Technical Officer

Announced! Cover image is a mockup, and will change prior to publication.

Grand Lodge

Present and accounted for woohoo!!!! I see winter witch in the makings.

Silver Crusade

3 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path, Tales Subscriber

This is one of those mockups that I wouldn't mind seeing on the real cover :-)

Grand Lodge

+1 to what Dudemeister said...

Paizo Employee Creative Director

That's cool, because that image has already been used as a cover for part 3 of the Jade Regent Adventure Path! :-)

Grand Lodge

Just in time for my Birthday!!!


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Whelp, next ap confirmed?

Cheliax

Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Super cool I flat can not wait for this one. This is the one country not covered I was most hoping for. Is it December yet?


Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

freaking sweet

Paizo Employee Developer

Cheapy wrote:
Whelp, next ap confirmed?

The only thing that is confirmed is that this book in the Campaign Setting line covers the nation of Irrisen.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

After Frostburn, I'm eager to see how this one ends up.

Paizo Employee Developer

This book is going to be more like Lands of the Linnorm Kings (or any of our nation books, for that matter) than it would be like a hardcover rule book.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Adam Daigle wrote:
This book is going to be more like Lands of the Linnorm Kings (or any of our nation books, for that matter) than it would be like a hardcover rule book.

Of course. But I'm still interested in seeing how a certain creative director who is closely related to a certain author of Frostburn shapes an entire nation dedicated to winter. With Shel's work too :)


Ugh. If only this book had come out two years ago, I would SO have needed to have this!

Boy, do I miss the days when Paizo books were on the top of my wish list!

Sorry. I needed to vent.

Grand Lodge

This seems interesting. Ever since I got the description of Irrisen from Cities of Golarion I've been wanting more details on this strangely Russian-like land. All things considered though, I wonder what this implies...all of the Campaign Setting 64-page country books have, without fail (except for the city-specific ones, that is) touched upon AP that have been released alongside them, which, if true, means exciting things indeed. Ah, the cold north, how i love thee...


I like this, for sure

I do wish they would do another setting book about a specific locale like Darkmoon Vale

That was a great book.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Hopefully this one will have as many monsters and Isles of the Shackles book.

Paizo Employee Chief Technical Officer

The Drunken Dragon wrote:
Ever since I got the description of Irrisen from Cities of Golarion I've been wanting more details on this strangely Russian-like land.

Have you had a look at Winter Witch?


Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Vic Wertz wrote:
The Drunken Dragon wrote:
Ever since I got the description of Irrisen from Cities of Golarion I've been wanting more details on this strangely Russian-like land.
Have you had a look at Winter Witch?

Winter Witch is a freaking great book,

with a few great plot twists, I do recommend it.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game, Tales Subscriber
Adam Daigle wrote:
Cheapy wrote:
Whelp, next ap confirmed?
The only thing that is confirmed is that this book in the Campaign Setting line covers the nation of Irrisen.

I will take that as a cofirmation..

Silver Crusade

1 person marked this as a favorite.

I hope this is more hints toward the "inevitable" Jim Groves Vikings vs Witches AP!

Jim Groves wrote:
Justin Franklin wrote:
Ravenmantle wrote:
Nah, this summer's all about Worldwound/Mendev announcements (I hope!) That said, an Irrisen/Linnorm Kingdoms adventure path would be awesome.
Well they are going to announce 2, one at PaizoCon and one at GenCon.

2013 Season of the Witch!

Screw the ninjas. Vikings versus Witches! Blackravens on red alert! Support your local ice troll! Don't kid yourself, they're gonna frackin tear up the border along the Iceflow river!

Grandmother Winter is on a timetable, boys and girls. The jadwiga Elvanna know it, the ulfen know it, and anybody with 5 ranks of Knowledge (history) knows it!

Elvanna has already tested the waters of rebellion by (spoilers from the Witchwar Legacy) ** spoiler omitted **

The Linnorm Kings got calenders, they know what year it is!

Back in the early days of the Winter War, the ulfen traded kids for First World warriors and weapons! (Pathfinder Chronicles: Lands of the Linnorm Kings)

You got the rest of the jadwiga Elvanna making their own creepy plans, like Lady Tetra and her Iron Tooth project which looks suspicious like some kind of artifact doomsday bunker to hold over 1,000 people! (Cities of Golarion)

There's so many kick ass plotlines going on in and around Irrisen you can't shake a stick at all of them. This is the makings of a great AP.

Not to mention that the Artifacts and Legends book has a version of the Dancing Hut coming! Whoohoo!

I like Distant Worlds and Numeria too, but this is full of awesome, and I would be delighted to support those ideas AFTER an Irrisen AP.

NOTE: None of this comes from insider knowledge, just...

YESSSSSSSS


Yay! More Northern love!


4 people marked this as a favorite.

Winter is coming :)


Count me in.

What I find odd, though, is that we get a Northlands book covering the Lands of the Linnorm Kings, Irrisen and the Mammoth Lords, too. Seems to me that there is a bit of an overlap.


Fabius Maximus wrote:

Count me in.

What I find odd, though, is that we get a Northlands book covering the Lands of the Linnorm Kings, Irrisen and the Mammoth Lords, too. Seems to me that there is a bit of an overlap.

That is a player options book. Archetypes, details on the races,equipmtent, traits, etc...

This is a gazetteer like Lands of the Linnorm Kings.

The more northern goodness, the better I say.

I also want a full Iobaria gazetteer... doubtful that one will happen though. I would also love to see a map that includes the tundra between the northern nations and the Crown of the World.


Ah, thanks. That detail escaped me.

Shadow Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Justin Franklin wrote:
Adam Daigle wrote:
Cheapy wrote:
Whelp, next ap confirmed?
The only thing that is confirmed is that this book in the Campaign Setting line covers the nation of Irrisen.
I will take that as a cofirmation..

I'll second that :-)

Cheliax

Funny I was just yesterday looking through Vic's posts on his page for all the new product announcements, and was particularly wondering if this very product would be part of said announcements.

With Paizo Con around the corner, and the AP after Shattered Star coming to light, can we dare dream that Baba Yaga, her brood, and Dancing Hut are just over the frozen capped horizon?

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion Subscriber

I guess that Irrisen AP is pretty much 100% certain at this point!


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Aww hells yeah.


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Dragon78 wrote:
Hopefully this one will have as many monsters and Isles of the Shackles book.

It promises a host of new icy monsters, so I hope that is evidence it will have a big super-long bestiary like the Shackles book


Yes! I love some winter theme and Irrisen as well. Is it December yet?


knightnday wrote:
Yes! I love some winter theme and Irrisen as well. Is it December yet?

No. But winter is coming. ;)


Heh. I wonder if Paizo deliberately planned that month for this book's release. After all, in Irrisen, it's always winter, but never reaches Kuthona 25th.

(And although I was obviously kidding in that last sentence, I DO genuinely wonder if the December release date was chosen for that reason.)


2 people marked this as a favorite.

[Alan Rickman] And cancel Christmas! [/Alan Rickman]

Cheliax

Yes! Finally! Thank you!

Paizo Employee Editor-in-Chief

MMCJawa wrote:
Dragon78 wrote:
Hopefully this one will have as many monsters and Isles of the Shackles book.
It promises a host of new icy monsters, so I hope that is evidence it will have a big super-long bestiary like the Shackles book

I'll have a good sized one. It might not be as super sized, though. We've got lots of creepy locations and wintery dangers to cram in here.

Hope you're all brushing up on your Slavic mythology though!

Cheliax

F. Wesley Schneider wrote:
MMCJawa wrote:
Dragon78 wrote:
Hopefully this one will have as many monsters and Isles of the Shackles book.
It promises a host of new icy monsters, so I hope that is evidence it will have a big super-long bestiary like the Shackles book

I'll have a good sized one. It might not be as super sized, though. We've got lots of creepy locations and wintery dangers to cram in here.

Hope you're all brushing up on your Slavic mythology though!

As a Slav, I salute Slavic mythology! :) Although, be advised that there are Slavs and Slavs. What I want to say is that Eastern Slavs, such as Russians and Ukrainians have a different low-level demons than Southern Slavs, such as Serbs and Croats. For instance, Russians have Domovoy, a bath house demon, Croats have Domaći, a sort of Brownie-like being, and Serbs have Dragons, who are anthropomorphic. Also, vampires are very different in various mythologies. I could go on, but I suppose there is no need, right? :)

Taldor

Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Tales Subscriber
baron arem heshvaun wrote:

Funny I was just yesterday looking through Vic's posts on his page for all the new product announcements, and was particularly wondering if this very product would be part of said announcements.

With Paizo Con around the corner, and the AP after Shattered Star coming to light, can we dare dream that Baba Yaga, her brood, and Dancing Hut are just over the frozen capped horizon?

Where is this?


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
GeraintElberion wrote:
baron arem heshvaun wrote:

Funny I was just yesterday looking through Vic's posts on his page for all the new product announcements, and was particularly wondering if this very product would be part of said announcements.

With Paizo Con around the corner, and the AP after Shattered Star coming to light, can we dare dream that Baba Yaga, her brood, and Dancing Hut are just over the frozen capped horizon?

Where is this?

This one?

Andoran

nightflier wrote:
F. Wesley Schneider wrote:
MMCJawa wrote:
Dragon78 wrote:
Hopefully this one will have as many monsters and Isles of the Shackles book.
It promises a host of new icy monsters, so I hope that is evidence it will have a big super-long bestiary like the Shackles book

I'll have a good sized one. It might not be as super sized, though. We've got lots of creepy locations and wintery dangers to cram in here.

Hope you're all brushing up on your Slavic mythology though!

As a Slav, I salute Slavic mythology! :) Although, be advised that there are Slavs and Slavs. What I want to say is that Eastern Slavs, such as Russians and Ukrainians have a different low-level demons than Southern Slavs, such as Serbs and Croats. For instance, Russians have Domovoy, a bath house demon, Croats have Domaći, a sort of Brownie-like being, and Serbs have Dragons, who are anthropomorphic. Also, vampires are very different in various mythologies. I could go on, but I suppose there is no need, right? :)

Agree, Slavic mythology should be used much more in the game, that's why Midgard is one of my favorite worlds.

Shadow Lodge

I'm guessing this will have a reprint of the Winter Witch archetype from Inner Sea Magic?


nightflier wrote:
F. Wesley Schneider wrote:
MMCJawa wrote:
Dragon78 wrote:
Hopefully this one will have as many monsters and Isles of the Shackles book.
It promises a host of new icy monsters, so I hope that is evidence it will have a big super-long bestiary like the Shackles book

I'll have a good sized one. It might not be as super sized, though. We've got lots of creepy locations and wintery dangers to cram in here.

Hope you're all brushing up on your Slavic mythology though!

As a Slav, I salute Slavic mythology! :) Although, be advised that there are Slavs and Slavs. What I want to say is that Eastern Slavs, such as Russians and Ukrainians have a different low-level demons than Southern Slavs, such as Serbs and Croats. For instance, Russians have Domovoy, a bath house demon, Croats have Domaći, a sort of Brownie-like being, and Serbs have Dragons, who are anthropomorphic. Also, vampires are very different in various mythologies. I could go on, but I suppose there is no need, right? :)

Yay for more Slavic mythology! I'm more of a Brevoy/River Kingdom/Kingmaker guy myself, and that area uses a lot of Slavic history and myth in the sense of pre-Tatar Yoke Russia vibe, so this will be very useful to me.

And Serbs have anthropomorphic dragons? Is there anything online in English covering this? I'd love to see it.

And OT but am I wrong or are there 'Western Slavs' in the sense of being the Poles?


Ninjaxenomorph wrote:
I'm guessing this will have a reprint of the Winter Witch archetype from Inner Sea Magic?

Why would it? This is a gazetteer, not a player companion. None of the gazetteers have player options.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Man, Irrisen and Mike Shel? His work is gold standard. This is fantastic news, whether or not Irrisen is featured in the next year's APs.


Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Card Game, Pawns, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

All hail Baba Yaga!

Cheliax

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game, Tales Subscriber

I highly support this book (as it's the region, excluding other planes and planets, that I've been most hoping gets a gazetteer) and the likely AP!


"Winter is coming..."
"Nay, it is already here!"
(ba dum tss)


Eric Hinkle wrote:
nightflier wrote:

As a Slav, I salute Slavic mythology! :) Although, be advised that there are Slavs and Slavs. What I want to say is that Eastern Slavs, such as Russians and Ukrainians have a different low-level demons than Southern Slavs, such as Serbs and Croats. For instance, Russians have Domovoy, a bath house demon, Croats have Domaći, a sort of Brownie-like being, and Serbs have Dragons, who are anthropomorphic. Also, vampires are very different in various mythologies. I could go on, but I suppose there is no need, right? :)

Yay for more Slavic mythology! I'm more of a Brevoy/River Kingdom/Kingmaker guy myself, and that area uses a lot of Slavic history and myth in the sense of pre-Tatar Yoke Russia vibe, so this will be very useful to me.

And Serbs have anthropomorphic dragons? Is there anything online in English covering this? I'd love to see it.

Seconding the plea for some links to online Slavic mythology material! The more I hear about the Slavic mythos, the more badass it seems -- also, reading loose source material before getting into the meat of a gaming product is a personal obsession. :D


1 person marked this as a favorite.

they have slavic stuff too now, wonder when there will be a culture or realm based on hungarian myths and legends

1 to 50 of 177 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / paizo.com / Product Discussion / Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Irrisen—Land of Eternal Winter (PFRPG) All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

Honor the Hold!,

Armored,

Wrapping Up the Mummy's Mask,

Year of the Sky Key Q&A,

Pathfinder Battles Preview: Iconics Rise Again!,


©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.