Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Pathfinder Adventure Card Game Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Pathfinder Adventures Pathfinder Campaign Setting Pathfinder Player Companion Pathfinder Accessories Pathfinder Miniatures Pathfinder Fiction Pathfinder® Society™ Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Compatible Products Pathfinder Apparel & Gifts Pathfinder Licensed Products
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Mystery Monsters Revisited

***½( ) (based on 3 ratings)
Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Mystery Monsters Revisited
Show Description For:
Non-Mint

Add Print Edition: $19.99

Add PDF: $13.99

Non-Mint: Unavailable

Facebook Twitter Email

Every culture tells stories of strange beasts that haunt the edges of civilization. Seldom corroborated, the accounts of those who have encountered such creatures are brushed aside, or at best turned into colorful local legends. But always lurking beneath such myths are more than a few shreds of doubt—for what if the stories were true?

Mystery Monsters Revisited presents 10 elusive creatures inspired by real-world folklore. Each monster entry investigates the types of evidence the cryptid leaves in its wake, the creature’s bizarre and secretive ecology, eyewitness accounts of the beast and its strange powers, advice on how to integrate it into your game, how the monster fits into the world of Golarion, and more.

Inside this book, you’ll find:

  • Bunyips, ravenous seal-like beasts whose hunger threatens coastal communities.
  • Death worms, acid-spitting desert dwellers whose fatal poison and beams of electricity spell the end for unwary travelers.
  • Mokele-mbembe, long-necked saurians forgotten by time.
  • Mothmen, unfathomable agents of destiny that presage catastrophic events.
  • The Sandpoint Devil, a fire-breathing equine terror that ravages the hinterlands of its namesake community.
  • Water orms, whose myriad forms have spawned countless legends near the lakes they inhabit.
  • Yetis, misunderstood natives of mountain peaks whose violent urges can be traced back to fell, otherworldly energies.
  • Other enigmatic creatures like the towering sasquatch, destructive sea serpent, and of course, the notorious, blood-sucking chupacabra!

Mystery Monsters Revisited is intended for use with the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game and Pathfinder campaign setting, but can easily be used in any fantasy game setting.

By Richard Pett, Anthony Pryor, Amber E. Scott, Ray Vallese

ISBN-13: 978-1-60125-473-3

Note: This product is part of the Pathfinder Campaign Setting Subscription.

Product Availability


Print Edition: Ships from our warehouse in 2 to 14 business days.

PDF: Fulfilled immediately. Will be added to your My Downloads Page immediately upon purchase of PDF.

Non-Mint: Unavailable This product is non-mint. Refunds are not available for non-mint products. The standard version of this product can be found here.

Are there errors or omissions in this product information? Got corrections? Let us know at webmaster@paizo.com.

PZO9252


See Also:



Product Discussion (135)
1 to 50 of 135 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | next > last >>
Paizo Employee Chief Technical Officer

Announced! Image is a mockup, and will change prior to publication.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

So we get a Cryptids book, yay!!!

If this goes true to form with the other "Monsters Revisited" books we'll get 10.

Chupacabra
Sasquatch
Yeti
The Sandpoint Devil
Mothman

and. . .

beginning random speculation

Mokele M'bembe (sp)
Kongamato
Hodag
Slurrk
and . . . I got nothin'. Help me out folks, those are the only remotely cryptid type critters I can even think of.

Cheliax

Cactaur?

Osirion

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Probably not a Plesiosaur. ala the Loch Ness Monster.
But A Bunyip? Definitely.


OMG YES


Sea Serpent and Water Orm HAVE to be in this

Cheliax

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

We get a cryptids book before Fey? Seriously? I mean, it makes sense to have a cryptids book with as many as have been statted up for use in Pathfinder, but still... And this before a Monsters of the Dark Tapestry/Lovecraftian Nightmares book as well?


now why couldn't I remember the Bunyip? I remembered the African cryptids, why not the Australian one.

Cheliax

Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Sounds neat.

Osirion

Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Cards, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Sounds good, but looks like it's not in the proper spot in the auto display. I don't see a preorder date, but the subscription claims it goes out next month. Given the serial number, it should be further off.

Paizo Employee Chief Technical Officer

logic_poet wrote:
Sounds good, but looks like it's not in the proper spot in the auto display. I don't see a preorder date, but the subscription claims it goes out next month. Given the serial number, it should be further off.

Thanks for the tip. Fixed!


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Cool, a book for cryptids even though I agree that I could have waited for this until after a book for fey and a one for lovecraftain besties.


Jackelopes! And the Slender Man!

Personally I have very little interest in a book of Fey, but Lovecraftian horrors for the win!

Grand Lodge

Awesome...awesome to the max.

I so want this...very very badly

Andoran

Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Companion Subscriber

I'm greatly surprised to not see James Jacobs' name on this.

I agree with the Jackalope.

Silver Crusade

4 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion Subscriber

Oh no they let Richard Pett write about cryptids, I'm not leaving the bunker!


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

I have been waiting for a fey one since the first "revisted" book came out.

The interest in the Lovecraft stuff has more to do with actually seeing stats for these creatures for the first time when Paizo used them.

So we have:
Mothman
Chubacabra
Sasquatch
Yeti
Sandpoint Devil

We should have:
Water Orm
Sea Serpent

We might get:
Mokele M'bembe
Hodag
Slurrk
Kongamato
Peluda
Bunyip
Chickcharney
Globster
Grootslang
Lusca
Chemosit
Tatzlwyrm


Aren't slurks a fictional invention? If so they wouldn't be in a cryptid book. And the Peluda is more of a legendary monster, than something people have seriously considered as a real beast.

Does Pathfinder have an analogue to the Beast of Gevaudan? Although I suppose any large wolf-like monster would work for that, like a Worg.


I am so looking forward to this! Cryptids of Golarion for the win.

And I have to agree with MMCJawa, I'd love to see Golarion's take on the Beast of Gevaudan.

Paizo Employee CEO

4 people marked this as a favorite.
Kvantum wrote:
We get a cryptids book before Fey? Seriously? I mean, it makes sense to have a cryptids book with as many as have been statted up for use in Pathfinder, but still... And this before a Monsters of the Dark Tapestry/Lovecraftian Nightmares book as well?

Patience. Patience. All good things come to those who wait.

:)

-Lisa


The Mongolian Deathworm
The Yowie
Orang Pendek


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I don't think they have statted up Yowies or Orang Pendeks

A humanoid marsupial Yowie would be all kind of awesome

Andoran

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Sorry to say but this is something I'm not looking forward to. Just not my cup of tea. If it wasn't too much hassle I would cancel my subscription and restart it after this ships so I wouldn't get it.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

6 people marked this as a favorite.

I was very very very very very tempted to write this whole book... but I can't write them all, alas.


i for one am psyched to get this for christmas (for the last few years my wife and daughter have got me a revisited book for christmas) it sounds like a fun read. thanks

Silver Crusade

2 people marked this as a favorite.

Paizo at times reminds me of Apple.

Amazing quality products that I wasn't aware I needed yet!

Gimme some James Jacob's Cryptids, please.


Silly question time: is the title inspired at all by a very cheesy documentary movie from the 70's titled The Mysterious Monsters that was the first introduction many people had to Bigfoot, the Abominable Snowman, and Nessie?

Osirion

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

I wonder which one James Jacob Wrote...

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Eric Hinkle wrote:
Silly question time: is the title inspired at all by a very cheesy documentary movie from the 70's titled The Mysterious Monsters that was the first introduction many people had to Bigfoot, the Abominable Snowman, and Nessie?

Nope. Not on purpose, at least.

We came upon the title after we admitted to ourselves that "Cryptids Revisited" would confuse too many folks on the distribution side of things.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Stratagemini wrote:
I wonder which one James Jacob Wrote...

By "I can't write them all," I meant "I can't write every book we publish."

I'm not writing ANYTHING for this book, in other words.

Neither is that James Jacob guy who spells his name funny with no "s".


Paizo Charter Superscriber; Pathfinder Deluxe Comics Subscriber

I think "Mystery Monsters Revealed" could be a better fitting title for this book, just as "Redeemed" fit the Misfits better :)

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Zaister wrote:
I think "Mystery Monsters Revealed" could be a better fitting title for this book, just as "Redeemed" fit the Misfits better :)

I kind of agree... but there's a lot to be said for using the same word ("Revisited") in as many of these books as we can.


Paizo Charter Superscriber; Pathfinder Deluxe Comics Subscriber
James Jacobs wrote:
I kind of agree... but there's a lot to be said for using the same word ("Revisited") in as many of these books as we can.

Too bad, but I understand the business strategy.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game, Tales Subscriber
James Jacobs wrote:
Stratagemini wrote:
I wonder which one James Jacob Wrote...

By "I can't write them all," I meant "I can't write every book we publish."

I'm not writing ANYTHING for this book, in other words.

Neither is that James Jacob guy who spells his name funny with no "s".

So then shouldn't it be named "James Jacobs presents Mystery Monsters Revisited"?

Contributor, RPG Superstar 2010 Top 4

Justin Franklin wrote:
So then shouldn't it be named "James Jacobs presents Mystery Monsters Revisited"?

Ironically I was at physical therapy yesterday morning and was explaining what I freelance and discussing the hobby in general. My therapist poked fun of R.A. Salvatore for prostituting his name for other authors just like that.

(That is, "R.A. Salvatore's Book of Whatever, by Real-Author-Whose-Name-is-in-Small-Font-Right-at-the-Bottom-of-the-Cover")

:)

Food for thought.

Osirion

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
James Jacobs wrote:
Stratagemini wrote:
I wonder which one James Jacob Wrote...

By "I can't write them all," I meant "I can't write every book we publish."

I'm not writing ANYTHING for this book, in other words.

Neither is that James Jacob guy who spells his name funny with no "s".

But did this James Jacob guy with no S want to write this entire book?

How about you? Did you want to write this book? Because I thought you would be eager to wade into Bigfoot Country and start writing?


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game, Tales Subscriber
Jim Groves wrote:
Justin Franklin wrote:
So then shouldn't it be named "James Jacobs presents Mystery Monsters Revisited"?

Ironically I was at physical therapy yesterday morning and was explaining what I freelance and discussing the hobby in general. My therapist poked fun of R.A. Salvatore for prostituting his name for other authors just like that.

(That is, "R.A. Salvatore's Book of Whatever, by Real-Author-Whose-Name-is-in-Small-Font-Right-at-the-Bottom-of-the-Cover")

:)

Food for thought.

On teh other hand James Patterson does it all the time with great success, and there is always VC Andrews who has been dead for years and still putting out books. ;)

Contributor, RPG Superstar 2010 Top 4

Justin Franklin wrote:
On teh other hand James Patterson does it all the time with great success, and there is always VC Andrews who has been dead for years and still putting out books. ;)

Oh I wouldn't argue that it makes money.

I regretted posting that after I did, because I didn't want to imply anything about James or Paizo.

But let me put some context to it. What the physical therapist was really trying to get across was that he really liked R.A. Salvatore. He never really considered a role-playing game, but he enjoyed the author's novels. Then he bought a couple "R.A. Salvatore Presents.." books and he was disappointed. He felt tricked.

That's all. Make of that what you will.

I'm going to stop here, so we don't derail the thread.

If nothing else, maybe James had a hand in developing this book, and therefore it will have some measure his love of the topic in it.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Stratagemini wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Stratagemini wrote:
I wonder which one James Jacob Wrote...

By "I can't write them all," I meant "I can't write every book we publish."

I'm not writing ANYTHING for this book, in other words.

Neither is that James Jacob guy who spells his name funny with no "s".

But did this James Jacob guy with no S want to write this entire book?

How about you? Did you want to write this book? Because I thought you would be eager to wade into Bigfoot Country and start writing?

I would have LOVED to write the book. But since my current freelance time is already spoken for by things like the kickstarter project and convention season and a few other things... I couldn't. Just didn't have time.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Are skyfish/rods cryptid enough for you, JJ, or has their extremely thorough debunking dropped them off the list?


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game, Tales Subscriber
Jim Groves wrote:
Justin Franklin wrote:
On teh other hand James Patterson does it all the time with great success, and there is always VC Andrews who has been dead for years and still putting out books. ;)

Oh I wouldn't argue that it makes money.

I regretted posting that after I did, because I didn't want to imply anything about James or Paizo.

But let me put some context to it. What the physical therapist was really trying to get across was that he really liked R.A. Salvatore. He never really considered a role-playing game, but he enjoyed the author's novels. Then he bought a couple "R.A. Salvatore Presents.." books and he was disappointed. He felt tricked.

That's all. Make of that what you will.

I'm going to stop here, so we don't derail the thread.

If nothing else, maybe James had a hand in developing this book, and therefore it will have some measure his love of the topic in it.

I mostly meant it as a joke idea anyway. No offense taken or given, I hope. And now back to teaming up to convince JJ to announce the Irrisen AP. ;)

Osirion

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Evil Midnight Lurker wrote:
Are skyfish/rods cryptid enough for you, JJ, or has their extremely thorough debunking dropped them off the list?

Typically the Revisited Line has used Monters already in the bestiaries (whether the main 3, or from Adventure Paths, Module, companions and setting books). I can't remember Skyfish or rods in any of the bestiaries.


Stratagemini wrote:
Evil Midnight Lurker wrote:
Are skyfish/rods cryptid enough for you, JJ, or has their extremely thorough debunking dropped them off the list?
Typically the Revisited Line has used Monters already in the bestiaries (whether the main 3, or from Adventure Paths, Module, companions and setting books). I can't remember Skyfish or rods in any of the bestiaries.

Well, I'd say that's a starting place for a sequel book!

Contributor

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Gorbacz wrote:
Oh no they let Richard Pett write about cryptids, I'm not leaving the bunker!

Why they're nothing but a bunch of softies, don't wory Gorbacz:)

Andoran

Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Allow me to add yet another kudos to Paizo. I just thoroughly enjoy how your company takes "real world mythos" and applies them in the Pathfinder universe! Very well done.


Well, my Christmas present is set. I run a non-Golarion campaign setting, but I'm sure I can still find room for things like the Sandpoint Devil there.

Add me to the list of folks calling for a Fey Revisited book, too.

Andoran

Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Charlie Brooks wrote:

Well, my Christmas present is set. I run a non-Golarion campaign setting, but I'm sure I can still find room for things like the Sandpoint Devil there.

Add me to the list of folks calling for a Fey Revisited book, too.

In case you didn't know (and if you do then please accept my most humble apology) the Sand Point Devil is based on "The Jersey Devil" which is a legend here on the East Coast.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Evil Midnight Lurker wrote:
Are skyfish/rods cryptid enough for you, JJ, or has their extremely thorough debunking dropped them off the list?

They're more in the category of "alien" to me rather than "cryptid." If only because their powers and abilities seem so outlandish and almost magical.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Stratagemini wrote:
Evil Midnight Lurker wrote:
Are skyfish/rods cryptid enough for you, JJ, or has their extremely thorough debunking dropped them off the list?
Typically the Revisited Line has used Monters already in the bestiaries (whether the main 3, or from Adventure Paths, Module, companions and setting books). I can't remember Skyfish or rods in any of the bestiaries.

That's true too. One of the reasons we took so long to do this book was we had to wait until we finally got Absolutely Required Cryptid #10 in print in Bestiary 3!

Andoran

Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Kevida wrote:
Charlie Brooks wrote:

Well, my Christmas present is set. I run a non-Golarion campaign setting, but I'm sure I can still find room for things like the Sandpoint Devil there.

Add me to the list of folks calling for a Fey Revisited book, too.

In case you didn't know (and if you do then please accept my most humble apology) the Sand Point Devil is based on "The Jersey Devil" which is a legend here on the East Coast.

Charlie Brooks, I misread your post. disregard my response.

1 to 50 of 135 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / paizo.com / Product Discussion / Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Mystery Monsters Revisited All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.