Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Pathfinder Adventure Card Game Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Pathfinder Adventures Pathfinder Campaign Setting Pathfinder Player Companion Pathfinder Accessories Pathfinder Miniatures Pathfinder Fiction Pathfinder® Society™ Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Compatible Products Pathfinder Apparel & Gifts Pathfinder Licensed Products
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

RPG Superstar 2015

Pathfinder Player Companion: Knights of the Inner Sea (PFRPG)

***½( ) (based on 11 ratings)
Pathfinder Player Companion: Knights of the Inner Sea (PFRPG)
Show Description For:
Non-Mint

Add Print Edition: $10.99

Add PDF: $7.99

Non-Mint: $10.99

Facebook Twitter Email

Unleash righteous fury and vanquish those who oppose your noble call to arms! Join the forces of good or evil in your pursuit to spread the word of your liege, or dedicate yourself to a religious or personal code of knightly conduct. Whether you’re a muscle-bound weapon of faith bedecked in steel plate or a spellcaster devoted to the god of magic, this volume offers countless options to those who walk the elite path of knighthood.

Knights of the Inner Sea presents a player-focused, in-depth discussion of what it means to be a knight on the world of Golarion, where every day is a trial against forces that seek to enslave or obliterate humanity, and it’s up to a stalwart few to fight back against the elements of corruption for the betterment of all. Every Pathfinder Player Companion includes new options and tools for every Pathfinder RPG player.

    Inside this book, you’ll find:
  • An in-depth analysis of the various kinds of knights that roam the Inner Sea region, and roles that help define exactly what these diverse orders stand for.
  • New spells, magic items, character options, and traits to help knightly adventurers distinguish themselves as glorious champions of their causes.
  • A detailed dissection of a knight’s armaments and her horse’s barding, as well as an exploration of heraldry and its function throughout the Inner Sea.
  • New rules for mounts both monstrous and bestial, including descriptions and traits for some of the Inner Sea’s most prominent breeds.
  • Rules for acquiring a loyal squire to aid a knight in her noble endeavors, including new archetypes to further specialize these stalwart sidekicks.

This Pathfinder Player Companion is intended for use with the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, but can easily be incorporated into any fantasy world.

Written by Dylan Birtolo, Gareth Hanrahan, Steve Kenson, Patrick Renie, Tork Shaw, and Jerome Virnich.

Each monthly 32-page Pathfinder Player Companion contains several player-focused articles exploring the volume’s theme as well as short articles with innovative new rules for all types of characters, as well as traits to better anchor the player to the campaign.

Note: Dylan Birtolo's name was inadvertently left off the credits page. Sorry about that, Dylan!

ISBN-13: 978-1-60125-460-3

Note: This product is part of the Pathfinder Player Companion Subscription.

Product Availability


Print Edition: Ships from our warehouse in 1 to 7 business days.

PDF: Fulfilled immediately. Will be added to your My Downloads Page immediately upon purchase of PDF.

Non-Mint: This product is non-mint. Refunds are not available for non-mint products. The standard version of this product can be found here.

Are there errors or omissions in this product information? Got corrections? Let us know at webmaster@paizo.com.

PZO9426


See Also:



Product Discussion (267)
201 to 250 of 267 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | next > last >>
Scarab Sages

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Paizo Charter Superscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Deluxe Comics Subscriber

I usually do not comment on reviews, but this is just too funny...

1 Star - Too much Fluff
1 Star - Not enough Fluff...

;)


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

I'm going to jump in and give my support for the Roles. I liked reading through the different roles and seeing what feats, skills, classes, persona, and so forth are thematic for each type of character. As said already, they are great for the new or casual player to help guide character creation.

They are also good for the GM to easily stat up NPCs. If a GM needs to quickly have a couple 3rd level Hellknight warriors to pit against the players, but wants to actually make them Hellknights, he can just grab a guard from the Game Mastery guide, replace the skills and feats with those from the Hellknight role, and voila, a more complete and specific NPC.

Liberty's Edge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Maps, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

BEHOLD the mighty and oft-craved for Table Of Contents!

I've been a little pain about this regarding previous products in this line and the chronicles series, but the new format has a table of contents each a I really, really appreciate.

Once again Paizo perks up and listens - three cheers to the Pit!

Paizo Employee Managing Editor

DM Jeff wrote:

BEHOLD the mighty and oft-craved for Table Of Contents!

I've been a little pain about this regarding previous products in this line and the chronicles series, but the new format has a table of contents each a I really, really appreciate.

Once again Paizo perks up and listens - three cheers to the Pit!

Thanks, Jeff! We really went into this trying to improve everything we could, and reworking the book's front matter to make it as useful as possible was a big focus for us. We're already looking at taking some of those same ideas to the other lines as well. The more the front pages can be something people actually use rather than simply flipping past it, the better!

Paizo Employee Editor-in-Chief

deuxhero wrote:
^^ Thanks for the answers.

Never a problem! Shoot us more as they come to ya!

Silver Crusade Star Voter 2014

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules Subscriber

Man I wish I had that squire's artwork on hand while we were running through CotCT. That look(after being passed through a color filter) would have been a perfect introduction piece for the NPC that became the fighter's cohort.

The armor breakdown centerfold is great. And easily my favorite thing Alain has ever been in.

That's quite an accomplishment actually, getting people to like what's basically an Alain centerfold.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Deluxe Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Card Game, Maps, Modules, Tales Subscriber

I really like this companion. Although it feels like I'm in a very small minority on the messageboards, I have no real interest in yet more options. Things like roles, on the other hand, are great for someone like me - a kind of 'Character Building for Dummies' guidebook.

I definitely prefer the focus on flavor over mechanics - it suits our style much better. It also feels like the kind of book I can lend out to my group (none of whom buy any Golarion stuff) with the expectation they'll actually read it, rather than just glance through it with eyes glazing at all the options.

For me the hallmark of a good player sourcebook is if I read it and immediately want to create half a dozen new characters. I didnt get that out of the Varisia guide, but this one proved a great spark of inspiration.

I'm really hoping the dungeon delving companion is in a similar 'flavor focussed' vein. :)

Paizo Employee Managing Editor

Steve, your post is *exactly* what we were hoping for. Glad it worked for you! :)

(Not to say that we won't still be presenting lots of new options in the future, but the goal of this line is to AVOID option paralysis/player glaze!)


Pathfinder Deluxe Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Card Game, Maps, Modules, Tales Subscriber

I dont envy you - it seems to me that this line in particular is going to have a diverse set of customers. As someone with a voracious appetite for flavor and only a mild interest in mechanical details, I definitely find the Player Companion line has the widest range of 'satisfaction level' out of all the subs. I presume those who like to see lots of options and rules material would feel similarly (though they'd rank them in reverse order, I guess).

Irrespective - given the production values, the price point is so ridiculously low that even the least useful are hardly disappointing.

Dark Archive

Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules Subscriber

For me (and I'll mention this in my review as well once I finish reading the book) roles aren't all that useful. Part of the fun for me is to browse through the books I own and find the mechanics that'll work well for whichever character concept I'm building.

However!

For the many new players and the many gamers who don't like to spend all that time finding the game mechanics they need, roles are an absolute godsend, an amazing tool when it comes to finding the necessary game mechanics to portray a given character concept, in this case a knight. Roles are perfect for the job and although I probably won't get much use out of them myself, I think they'll be insanely useful for a lot of gamers.

Silver Crusade

Going to have to come down strong in favor of Roles. They don't take up much space, and cater to those that may be newer to the Golarion setting, as well as those that aren't as up on their system mastery.

Those that may not be enamored of them (yet), please take these people into consideration, especially as far as the community flourishing and growing.


I was REALLY disappointed this was not a Martial version of INNER SEA MAGIC.

Can we get one?
I such a book could you look at more FIGHTER ONLY FEATS!!!
Kick it up a notch with fighter themed WEAPON STYLE FEATS.
The current style feats are awesome but too monky.

Some sort chains
Like Zweihander Style (two handed)
Kali style (TWF)
....
You get the picture.
Tome of Battle was awesome. Something in a similar vein WITHOUT the wuxia feel would be awesome.
Look to the moves from dragon age for inspiration...

Dark Archive

Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules Subscriber
STR Ranger wrote:

I was REALLY disappointed this was not a Martial version of INNER SEA MAGIC.

Can we get one?
I such a book could you look at more FIGHTER ONLY FEATS!!!
Kick it up a notch with fighter themed WEAPON STYLE FEATS.
The current style feats are awesome but too monky.

Some sort chains
Like Zweihander Style (two handed)
Kali style (TWF)
....
You get the picture.
Tome of Battle was awesome. Something in a similar vein WITHOUT the wuxia feel would be awesome.
Look to the moves from dragon age for inspiration...

While that would certainly be cool, I'm a bit confused as to where in the product description you got the impression that Knights of the Inner Sea would be such a book?

Shadow Lodge Star Voter 2013

I second the non-monk fighting styles, but if they are Fighter-Only then they are pretty worthless. There are already plenty of Core Fighter fighting styles, and that leaves a lot of other character classes out in the cold (Barbarian, Cavalier, Cleric, Paladin, Ranger, and a few more classes should have 100% equal chance to get them).


There is bugger all in the core book that only a fighter can do.
Weapon Spec, Gtr Wpn Fcs, Disruptive and Spell breaker.

Just cause they say FIGHTER ONLY FEATS wouldn't mean they, would be the only class with access.

Magus
Samurai
Eldritch Knight
Barbarian (via certain rage powers)
Rangers (Rangers via combat styles)
are but some of the classes with access to fighter feats.

The book could be called INNER SEA COMBAT for example.
Details of War colleges
Mass combat
Fighter only feats keyed to weapon/fighting styles, with certain classes getting access based on fantasy tropes. Paladins, Cavalierls could have access to the WAR COMMANDER style (granting bonuses to troops/allies) but not the KALI STYLE (think TIGER CLAW from TOB) which only rogues and rangers could access via Rogue Talents/Combat Style.
Only fighters would have complete access.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Card Game Subscriber
F. Wesley Schneider wrote:


Daw! Thanks man! "It wasn't long enough" is always my favorite criticism!

No one's going to take the obvious bait here?

Really?

Silver Crusade Star Voter 2014

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules Subscriber

I've already met my quota for this year.

It was also fun to see the semi-iconic M. Bison Antipaladin back. And getting owned, apparently. :D

Silver Crusade Dedicated Voter 2013, Star Voter 2014

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path, Tales Subscriber

I want to say I'm in favour of roles. Useful for new players and GMs needing a quick way to stat up flavourful NPCs. Keep the rules in the rulebooks and the flavour in the Player's Guides.


Beckett wrote:
I second the non-monk fighting styles, but if they are Fighter-Only then they are pretty worthless. There are already plenty of Core Fighter fighting styles, and that leaves a lot of other character classes out in the cold (Barbarian, Cavalier, Cleric, Paladin, Ranger, and a few more classes should have 100% equal chance to get them).

Combat feats with BAB requirements but no fighter level requirements would be more generally appropriate if you are not specifically looking for something that is only useful to fighters or to certain archetypes of other classes. Giving feats the "Combat" descriptor makes it far easier for fighters to take them (since they can take them with their bonus feat slots as well as their regular feat slots) but does not prohibit anyone else from taking them.

Scarab Sages

STR Ranger wrote:

The book could be called INNER SEA COMBAT for example.

Details of War colleges

Something that detailed different military orders or war colleges or mercenary companies, and specific training and advantages that they grant to their membership, similar to the effects of training in Wizard academies from Inner Sea Magic would be neat.

Shadow Lodge

STR Ranger wrote:
Just cause they say FIGHTER ONLY FEATS wouldn't mean they, would be the only class with access. . .

Which is an amazing way to make people mad and resent their existing character. No, Class and Race specific Feats (and similar things) are terrible because there are plenty of other Classes/Races who can have a theme or build very similar to the reasoning/flavor of such things, and not being able to take them because your a Barbarian weapon master vs a Fighter weapon master is infuriating, and little off the wall exceptions (like an archtype) to allow access is no help at all.

Also, when you start getting Class/Race Only material, especilly in large quantities like in a players guide to ______, that starts to make such a book useless to 4/5's of the customer base.

Scarab Sages

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
"Devil's Advocate" wrote:
STR Ranger wrote:
Just cause they say FIGHTER ONLY FEATS wouldn't mean they, would be the only class with access. . .

Which is an amazing way to make people mad and resent their existing character. No, Class and Race specific Feats (and similar things) are terrible because there are plenty of other Classes/Races who can have a theme or build very similar to the reasoning/flavor of such things, and not being able to take them because your a Barbarian weapon master vs a Fighter weapon master is infuriating, and little off the wall exceptions (like an archtype) to allow access is no help at all.

Also, when you start getting Class/Race Only material, especilly in large quantities like in a players guide to ______, that starts to make such a book useless to 4/5's of the customer base.

"Useless" or not (and I'd argue heartily against the uselessness of the ARG simply because almost every player race got custom feats), the reasoning is that it gives flavor to the different races and classes that are distinctive. The reason barbarians can't use fighter feats normally is that they're more focused on harnessing their inner rage to go beyond normal limits, whereas fighters focus on mastering martial disciplines. Fighter feats are class features for those classes who focus on martial strength of arms through training (such as Fighters and Magi).

I'd argue exactly the contrary. Removing class and race specific classes makes everyone pretty homogenous and boring as hell. You make choices, those choices differentiate your character, those feats are heavily tied into the flavor of those who they're limited to. It's the same reason why Bards have a different Spell list than Alchemists or Magi. It's something that makes them unique and special.

Scarab Sages

"Devil's Advocate" wrote:
Also, when you start getting Class/Race Only material, especilly in large quantities like in a players guide to ______, that starts to make such a book useless to 4/5's of the customer base.

Crunch material, IMO, should be as widely useful as possible.

Maybe a specific feat will be flat-out more useful for a Fighter or Monk or a spellcaster, or enhances / modifies a class feature that not every class has (like Favored Enemy or Smite or Channel Energy), but, for the most part, no Feat should say 'only usable by X' for no other reason other than to restrict it from other classes.

Too many game options, IMO, have barriers to entry from less optimal paths for no good reason, whether it be an odd stat requirement (like Int 13 for Combat Expertise, which not only restricts Combat Expertise, but also bottlenecks away a large number of more interesting feats to characters that may never exist in a 15 point buy game), or a feat requirement (like Improved Unarmed Strike serving as a feat tax on feats that a weapon-using non-Monk could theoretically make dynamic use of), or a class requirement (like 'Fighter only').

Prerequisites like this, IMO, lead to cookie-cutter builds and discourage innovative character design.

Dark Archive

Overall my biggest issue with this book are the spells in the end. Namely the 2nd level magus group armor spell. Pick a target and a suit of armor snap your fingers and they are wearing that armor. No save allowed.

Fighting a wizard, sorcerer, druid or monk ? Cast this spell and boom the wizard/sorcerer has a 40+% spell failure chance and the druid immediately loses all their powers for a day, the monk loses a whole butt load of abilities and there's nothing they can do about it.

Don't think the fighters, clerics and paladins get off easy either. Swap their high quality magic armor for poor quality fragile armor and watch the damage just pile on them (or better yet cast the spell from hiding and take the armor and run away).

It only gets worse if they get access to a decent set of Cursed armor. Swap the fighters stoneplate or celestial armor with a suit of armor of arrow attraction and go to town.

I liked the idea of this book but think it suffered from a lack of editing for the (few) crunchy bits in it.


Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Tales Subscriber
Mathwei ap Niall wrote:

Overall my biggest issue with this book are the spells in the end. Namely the 2nd level magus group armor spell. Pick a target and a suit of armor snap your fingers and they are wearing that armor. No save allowed.

Fighting a wizard, sorcerer, druid or monk ? Cast this spell and boom the wizard/sorcerer has a 40+% spell failure chance and the druid immediately loses all their powers for a day, the monk loses a whole butt load of abilities and there's nothing they can do about it.

Don't think the fighters, clerics and paladins get off easy either. Swap their high quality magic armor for poor quality fragile armor and watch the damage just pile on them (or better yet cast the spell from hiding and take the armor and run away).

It only gets worse if they get access to a decent set of Cursed armor. Swap the fighters stoneplate or celestial armor with a suit of armor of arrow attraction and go to town.

I liked the idea of this book but think it suffered from a lack of editing for the (few) crunchy bits in it.

Damn someone needs to read the spell again. It can't do any of the things you have listed here. So going with Paizo didn't fail in editing.

Dark Archive

ShadowChemosh wrote:
Mathwei ap Niall wrote:

Overall my biggest issue with this book are the spells in the end. Namely the 2nd level magus group armor spell. Pick a target and a suit of armor snap your fingers and they are wearing that armor. No save allowed.

Fighting a wizard, sorcerer, druid or monk ? Cast this spell and boom the wizard/sorcerer has a 40+% spell failure chance and the druid immediately loses all their powers for a day, the monk loses a whole butt load of abilities and there's nothing they can do about it.

Don't think the fighters, clerics and paladins get off easy either. Swap their high quality magic armor for poor quality fragile armor and watch the damage just pile on them (or better yet cast the spell from hiding and take the armor and run away).

It only gets worse if they get access to a decent set of Cursed armor. Swap the fighters stoneplate or celestial armor with a suit of armor of arrow attraction and go to town.

I liked the idea of this book but think it suffered from a lack of editing for the (few) crunchy bits in it.

Damn someone needs to read the spell again. It can't do any of the things you have listed here. So going with Paizo didn't fail in editing.

Actually it's a printing error, my hard copy doesn't have target line but my PDF copy does. Take a look at Serren's Swift Girding and remove the target line and you'll see why I was so amazed it made it through editing.


Oh, one more thing I noticed could use clarity

Quote:
A bard who carries a longspear or pole to which a banner of the ancient kings has been attached is treated as four levels higher than his actual bard level for the purposes of determining the bonuses granted by his inspire courage bardic performance ability.

Does this apply to other sources of Inspire Courage like Evangelist or Sensei?

(I'd also change the "has been attached" to "is attached", shorter and the first is inviting someone to try claiming any pole that has ever had it attached does that)

Dark Archive

Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules Subscriber
Mathwei ap Niall wrote:
Actually it's a printing error, my hard copy doesn't have target line but my PDF copy does. Take a look at Serren's Swift Girding and remove the target line and you'll see why I was so amazed it made it through editing.

Odd. My PDF copy and print copy have the exact same version of the spell. No difference whatsoever.


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
STR Ranger wrote:

The book could be called INNER SEA COMBAT for example.

Details of War colleges
Mass combat
Fighter only feats keyed to weapon/fighting styles, with certain classes getting access based on fantasy tropes. Paladins, Cavalierls could have access to the WAR COMMANDER style (granting bonuses to troops/allies) but not the KALI STYLE (think TIGER CLAW from TOB) which only rogues and rangers could access via Rogue Talents/Combat Style.
Only fighters would have complete access.

Again though, it sounds like the book you're talking about--based on your comparison--would be a part of the Campaign Setting line, not the Player Companion line.

I agree that such a book would be cool, mind you. I loved Inner Sea Magic a great deal, and would be amongst the first to snatch up an Inner Sea Combat book! However, you're kind of comparing apples and oranges here. The book you're seeking would be part of an entirely different line than this one.

Paizo Employee Editor-in-Chief

Steve Geddes wrote:

I dont envy you - it seems to me that this line in particular is going to have a diverse set of customers. As someone with a voracious appetite for flavor and only a mild interest in mechanical details, I definitely find the Player Companion line has the widest range of 'satisfaction level' out of all the subs. I presume those who like to see lots of options and rules material would feel similarly (though they'd rank them in reverse order, I guess).

Irrespective - given the production values, the price point is so ridiculously low that even the least useful are hardly disappointing.

Too right Steve! In fact, working on this line has really put me back into the mindset I had back when I was doing Dragon magazine. We try to make every volume as incredible and widely encompassing as possible, but at the end of the day, understood we couldn't please everyone all the time. Even our most popular issues back in the day had plenty of folks they didn't work for. And that's fine, it speaks the the breadth of the game, the options players have, and the infinite possibilities Game Masters can indulge. So we'll do our damnedist to make every Player Companion amazing, but if the theme doesn't work for you this month, let us know, tell us what you'd prefer to see, and in just a few weeks we'll have something totally different delivered to your door!

Just like this time around. Don't like knights? Well how do you feel about vampires (coming soon!!!)

Paizo Employee Editor-in-Chief

STR Ranger wrote:
I was REALLY disappointed this was not a Martial version of INNER SEA MAGIC.

I promise that if and when we do a martial version of Inner Sea Magic we won't be stealth about it. Or put it in a different line than Inner Sea Magic was. Or make it 32 pages shorter. Or call it something suggestive of a specific topic instead of, like, Inner Sea Combat or Inner Sea Battle.

Also - and this is surely up for debate if anyone disagrees - I don't feel like we hide or disguise what our products are with our product descriptions or solicitations to distributors. Additionally, as I hope this posts and the dozens of others on this thread from staff members illustrate, we're always willing to discuss and answer questions about our products. So if there's ever any question about what a product is, or if a product description is ever unclear, please feel free to ask us and we'll tell you all about it.

Paizo Employee Editor-in-Chief

Mechalibur wrote:
F. Wesley Schneider wrote:


Daw! Thanks man! "It wasn't long enough" is always my favorite criticism!

No one's going to take the obvious bait here?

Really?

HA! Awesome.

Paizo Employee Editor-in-Chief

Mikaze wrote:

I've already met my quota for this year.

It was also fun to see the semi-iconic M. Bison Antipaladin back. And getting owned, apparently. :D

I've really been using this line to get new art of iconics on adventures and involved in hijinks. Just wait until you see Animal Archive.


F. Wesley Schneider wrote:
STR Ranger wrote:
I was REALLY disappointed this was not a Martial version of INNER SEA MAGIC.

I promise that if and when we do a martial version of Inner Sea Magic we won't be stealth about it. Or put it in a different line than Inner Sea Magic was. Or make it 32 pages shorter. Or call it something suggestive of a specific topic instead of, like, Inner Sea Combat or Inner Sea Battle.

Also - and this is surely up for debate if anyone disagrees - I don't feel like we hide or disguise what our products are with our product descriptions or solicitations to distributors. Additionally, as I hope this posts and the dozens of others on this thread from staff members illustrate, we're always willing to discuss and answer questions about our products. So if there's ever any question about what a product is, or if a product description is ever unclear, please feel free to ask us and we'll tell you all about it.

The boss replied to me! YAY!

OK so I'll put some cash aside in anticipation for the announcement of INNER SEA COMBAT.

P.S. Don't forget The Martial Style feat chains! Like your style feats but WEAPONS focused.

(Obviously not holding my breath but nice to know the Paizo equivalent of J.J. *spider man reference * Does read/reply to us.)

Paizo Employee Editor-in-Chief

Mathwei ap Niall wrote:
Actually it's a printing error, my hard copy doesn't have target line but my PDF copy does. Take a look at Serren's Swift Girding and remove the target line and you'll see why I was so amazed it made it through editing.

Whoa.

What?

I've never seen something like that before in one of our products and if that's the case that suggests a serious problem. Has anyone else run into an omission like this?

Mathwei, my e-mail address is wes@paizo.com, please contact me with the details of this error (a picture would be very helpful) and we'll see it addressed immediately. So sorry for the inconvenience and rest assured I'll discuss this with our entire production staff and, if they're faultless, our printer.

Editorial errors happen sometime and we regret and seek to correct our errors as swiftly as possible. But errors entering into our products that we did not introduce and that we have no way of either protecting against or knowing about is HIGHLY IRREGULAR and has serious ramifications for our business.

Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

Paizo Employee Editor-in-Chief

STR Ranger wrote:

The boss replied to me! YAY!

OK so I'll put some cash aside in anticipation for the announcement of INNER SEA COMBAT.

P.S. Don't forget The Martial Style feat chains! Like your style feats but WEAPONS focused.

(Obviously not holding my breath but nice to know the Paizo equivalent of J.J. *spider man reference * Does read/reply to us.)

On it chief! :)

You guys want them, you can bet more martial style feat chains just jumped way farther up on the future Player Companion to do list. It'll be a bit, but keep watching.

And we'll talk about the pros and cons of doing an Inner Sea Combat book at our next product brainstorm

Thanks for the feedback STR Ranger!

Scarab Sages

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
F. Wesley Schneider wrote:

Too right Steve! In fact, working on this line has really put me back into the mindset I had back when I was doing Dragon magazine. We try to make every volume as incredible and widely encompassing as possible, but at the end of the day, understood we couldn't please everyone all the time. Even our most popular issues back in the day had plenty of folks they didn't work for. And that's fine, it speaks the the breadth of the game, the options players have, and the infinite possibilities Game Masters can indulge. So we'll do our damnedist to make every Player Companion amazing, but if the theme doesn't work for you this month, let us know, tell us what you'd prefer to see, and in just a few weeks we'll have something totally different delivered to your door!

Just like this time around. Don't like knights? Well how do you feel about vampires (coming soon!!!)

Do they sparkle in the sunlight? Also? Also, Will it have Chain Whips?

Silver Crusade

F. Wesley Schneider wrote:
STR Ranger wrote:
I was REALLY disappointed this was not a Martial version of INNER SEA MAGIC.

I promise that if and when we do a martial version of Inner Sea Magic we won't be stealth about it. Or put it in a different line than Inner Sea Magic was. Or make it 32 pages shorter. Or call it something suggestive of a specific topic instead of, like, Inner Sea Combat or Inner Sea Battle.

Also - and this is surely up for debate if anyone disagrees - I don't feel like we hide or disguise what our products are with our product descriptions or solicitations to distributors. Additionally, as I hope this posts and the dozens of others on this thread from staff members illustrate, we're always willing to discuss and answer questions about our products. So if there's ever any question about what a product is, or if a product description is ever unclear, please feel free to ask us and we'll tell you all about it.

Exactly, Wes. In fact, most times I see Paizonians pop into threads and manage expectations if they start to go off message/theme before a product ships.

Paizo Employee Editor-in-Chief

3 people marked this as a favorite.
Stratagemini wrote:
Do they sparkle in the sunlight? Also? Also, Will it have Chain Whips?

To the first question: No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no. No. NO. NO.

To the second: Maybe. ;)

Shadow Lodge

I would love to see some (not Monk at all) Fighting Styles. Particularly ones that a Cleric (with Favored Weapon), Paladin, Fighter, or whoever can qualify for with effort, but not basically impossible effort.

A few that automatically come to mind would be
Scimitar -> Dervish style
Longsword -> Crusader style
Greatsword -> Zweihander, (particularly if it where like in Soul Caliber)
Heavy Mace -> Shield/Skull breaker style

Marathon Voter 2013

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Casting glitterdust on any vampires we face is basically party tradition at this point in time. Doesn't matter how effective it'll be. It has to be done. GM almost threw a book at me the first time I did that.

Marathon Voter 2013

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
"Devil's Advocate" wrote:

I would love to see some (not Monk at all) Fighting Styles. Particularly ones that a Cleric (with Favored Weapon), Paladin, Fighter, or whoever can qualify for with effort, but not basically impossible effort.

A few that automatically come to mind would be
Scimitar -> Dervish style
Longsword -> Crusader style
Greatsword -> Zweihander, (particularly if it where like in Soul Caliber)
Heavy Mace -> Shield/Skull breaker style

Crusader style may be a wee bit close to a certain other style popular amongst missionaries.


Pathfinder Card Game Subscriber
Cheapy wrote:
"Devil's Advocate" wrote:

I would love to see some (not Monk at all) Fighting Styles. Particularly ones that a Cleric (with Favored Weapon), Paladin, Fighter, or whoever can qualify for with effort, but not basically impossible effort.

A few that automatically come to mind would be
Scimitar -> Dervish style
Longsword -> Crusader style
Greatsword -> Zweihander, (particularly if it where like in Soul Caliber)
Heavy Mace -> Shield/Skull breaker style

Crusader style may be a wee bit close to a certain other style popular amongst missionaries.

It's fitting then. Longswords are a boring and standard weapons, after all :)


Cheapy wrote:
"Devil's Advocate" wrote:

I would love to see some (not Monk at all) Fighting Styles. Particularly ones that a Cleric (with Favored Weapon), Paladin, Fighter, or whoever can qualify for with effort, but not basically impossible effort.

A few that automatically come to mind would be
Scimitar -> Dervish style
Longsword -> Crusader style
Greatsword -> Zweihander, (particularly if it where like in Soul Caliber)
Heavy Mace -> Shield/Skull breaker style

Crusader style may be a wee bit close to a certain other style popular amongst missionaries.

This needs looking at.

Honestly Tome of Battle was Freaking Awesome.

If something of that vein could be done within the existing rules to bring a less WUXIA inspired version to PF that would rock.

It would be even better if the feats scaled.

For a PF example Crane Style is pretty awesome.


Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

As someone who was happy with the prior format, I just wanted to say I really like the new format. I'm still reading through this volume but really like it when taken as a whole.

Also, while I didn't think I would be, I'm a big fan of the roles. Not because they're useful to me, a GM who regularly crafts NPCs, but they've been great idea generators & guides for my players - who don't make many characters and appreciate the guidance to better integrate the PC in Golarion. And after all, isn't that the point of the Player's Companion line?

Scarab Sages

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

The picture for the Squire on Page 21? is that a boy... or a girl?

Paizo Employee Developer , Dedicated Voter 2014

2 people marked this as a favorite.

Which do you want it to be?

Scarab Sages

Stratagemini wrote:
The picture for the Squire on Page 21? is that a boy... or a girl?

Looks kind of like Lord Blackadders 'manservant Bob.'

Liberty's Edge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game, Tales Subscriber
"Devil's Advocate" wrote:

I would love to see some (not Monk at all) Fighting Styles. Particularly ones that a Cleric (with Favored Weapon), Paladin, Fighter, or whoever can qualify for with effort, but not basically impossible effort.

A few that automatically come to mind would be
Scimitar -> Dervish style
Longsword -> Crusader style
Greatsword -> Zweihander, (particularly if it where like in Soul Caliber)
Heavy Mace -> Shield/Skull breaker style

Gangnam Style?


Since this is a Player Companion, I was really looking forward to this as a player. However, as a player I feel like that this book is just full of super specific options that I'm probably never going to use. So much of this books is spent on roles and traits for organizations that I just don't ever see PCs joining. There is just so much trouble involved with a PC joining one of these orders. That's why the knights that I have seen played are usually the knight-errant type with simple ties to certain areas, religions, or ideals.

But am I the only one he sees it that way? Unless you are playing in a really specific campaign, isn't it really disruptive when one player decides to become a Hellknight for instance? What does the rest of the party do while that person is training to become a Hellnight, is taking his Test, and then getting orders to carry out from his superiors. Do they just go along with the Hellnight? Or does the Hellnight order let its new initiates go "adventuring" with random people all the time?

And that brings up another point. Do you let 1st level characters call themselves Hellknights? Even though it says that they must face a life-or-death challenge vs a devil to become one? If not, then the only way to take any of those traits is via the Extra Traits feat, which pushes these traits even further away from ever being used.

I had other problems with this book as well. I mean, there is an entire page dedicated to saying that dwarven knights don't use mounts, wear heavy armor, and wield two handed weapons, while elves use light armor, bows, and majestic beasts. Nothing even remotely new there. And Squire grants you a cohort 2 levels earlier than leadership, but because he is 1st level he is in constant danger of being knocked out (or even outright killed) by a single CR appropriate AoE attack.

The only things I may use from this book are the Carry Companion spell, which is awesome; the Cavalier Orders, which are okay; and the Knightly Code Traits, which are finally Traits done right (unique, flavorful, AND available to a wide variety of characters).

/rant

201 to 250 of 267 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / paizo.com / Product Discussion / Pathfinder Player Companion: Knights of the Inner Sea (PFRPG) All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.