Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Pathfinder Adventure Card Game Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Pathfinder Adventures Pathfinder Campaign Setting Pathfinder Player Companion Pathfinder Accessories Pathfinder Miniatures Pathfinder Fiction Pathfinder® Society™ Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Compatible Products Pathfinder Apparel & Gifts Pathfinder Licensed Products
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

Pathfinder Adventure Path #61: Shards of Sin (Shattered Star 1 of 6) (PFRPG)

****( ) (based on 12 ratings)
Pathfinder Adventure Path #61: Shards of Sin (Shattered Star 1 of 6) (PFRPG)
Show Description For:
Non-Mint

Add Print Edition: $19.99

Add PDF: $13.99 $9.79

Add Non-Mint: $19.99 $14.99

Facebook Twitter Email

Chapter 1: "Shards of Sin"
by Greg A. Vaughan

The Shattered Star Adventure Path begins with a thrilling new adventure from fan-favorite author Greg A. Vaughan! In Varisia’s bustling frontier city of Magnimar, the Pathfinder Society’s newest lodge recruits a team of rookie Pathfinders to track down rogue agent Natalya Vancaskerkin—who also happens to be one of the Varisian criminals known as the Sczarni. Yet when these heroes track down the missing woman, they find far more than a Pathfinder on the run, becoming embroiled in a swiftly expanding hunt for a fragmented artifact from the ancient empire of Thassilon—a quest that will take them to some of the most dangerous corners of Varisia.

    This volume of Pathfinder Adventure Path launches the Shattered Star Adventure Path and includes:
  • “Shards of Sin,” a Pathfinder RPG adventure for 1st-level characters, by Greg A. Vaughan.
  • An exploration of the ancient Sihedron artifact and its ties to powerful Thassilonian magic, as well as details on the mysterious skymetals that fall to Golarion, by James Jacobs.
  • Forays into the even seedier underbelly of Riddleport in the Pathfinder’s Journal, by Bill Ward.
  • Five new monsters, by Benjamin Bruck, Craig Campbell, Adam Daigle, Amanda Hamon, and James Wilbur.

Each monthly full-color softcover Pathfinder Adventure Path volume contains an in-depth adventure scenario, stats for several new monsters, and support articles meant to give Game Masters additional material to expand their campaign. Pathfinder Adventure Path volumes use the Open Game License and work with both the Pathfinder RPG and the world’s oldest fantasy RPG.

ISBN–13: 978-1-60125-452-8

Shards of Sin is sanctioned for use in Pathfinder Society Organized Play. The rules for running this Adventure Path and Chronicle sheet are available as a free download (512 KB zip/PDF).

Note: This product is part of the Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscription.

Product Availability


Print Edition: Ships from our warehouse in 2 to 14 business days.

PDF: Fulfilled immediately. Will be added to your My Downloads Page immediately upon purchase of PDF.

Non-Mint: Ships from our warehouse in 2 to 14 business days. This product is non-mint. Refunds are not available for non-mint products. The standard version of this product can be found here.

Are there errors or omissions in this product information? Got corrections? Let us know at webmaster@paizo.com.

PZO9061


See Also:



Product Discussion (385)
301 to 350 of 385 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | next > last >>
Scarab Sages

2 people marked this as a favorite.

Love the Mites on the cover. Although the one in front looked less like a mite-on-a-spider and more like a mite-drider, which itself is a funky concept. And now I have the Knight Rider intro music stuck in my head... Na na na na Mite Drider!

Mikaze wrote:
Vic Wertz wrote:
Not a typo: his name really is "Lord-Mayor Haldmeer Grobaras."
And man, does he have a lot to grob.

So I'm not the only one who thinks his name is 'Mayor Holdemhere Grabass?'


Pathfinder Card Game Subscriber

Good thing I'll never have to pronounce it. He died in my group's Rise of the Runelords :P

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules Subscriber

Dat agathion.

:D

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules Subscriber
Set wrote:


Mikaze wrote:
Vic Wertz wrote:
Not a typo: his name really is "Lord-Mayor Haldmeer Grobaras."
And man, does he have a lot to grob.

So I'm not the only one who thinks his name is 'Mayor Holdemhere Grabass?'

I wouldn't have thought it but combined with his Magnimar portrait, absolutely. And I love him for it.

Dark Archive

Set wrote:

Love the Mites on the cover. Although the one in front looked less like a mite-on-a-spider and more like a mite-drider, which itself is a funky concept. And now I have the Knight Rider intro music stuck in my head... Na na na na Mite Drider!

Mikaze wrote:
Vic Wertz wrote:
Not a typo: his name really is "Lord-Mayor Haldmeer Grobaras."
And man, does he have a lot to grob.

So I'm not the only one who thinks his name is 'Mayor Holdemhere Grabass?'

And thus it came to be that Set ruined the book (and AP) for everyone... :D

Liberty's Edge

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Super excited to start this AP. I started subscribing for this one.

Dark Archive

Our group played through the first about half of the adventure, and I have to say we are having a blast with it. Lots of flavor, good pacing throughout, nice mix of combat, rp and skill usage. The NPCs thus far have been interesting and well thought out. I will probably review this one after our party finishes up the entire thing, and thus far I am impressed. None of the other APs in the last couple of years have really grabbed us like this has.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion Subscriber
Asgetrion wrote:
Set wrote:

Love the Mites on the cover. Although the one in front looked less like a mite-on-a-spider and more like a mite-drider, which itself is a funky concept. And now I have the Knight Rider intro music stuck in my head... Na na na na Mite Drider!

Mikaze wrote:
Vic Wertz wrote:
Not a typo: his name really is "Lord-Mayor Haldmeer Grobaras."
And man, does he have a lot to grob.

So I'm not the only one who thinks his name is 'Mayor Holdemhere Grabass?'

And thus it came to be that Set ruined the book (and AP) for everyone... :D

One of the rare moments when I'm happy that I'm running games for non-English speakers.

"So you are greeted by Lord Smorgasbord Grabmybuttocks..."

NOBODY LAUGHS

Dark Archive

Is it now impossible to create a post about Paizo products generally? If it is, I was not smart enough to find where.

Anyway, two separate thoughts: After wandering around GenCon all weekend and looking at all the different three dimension dungeon build out products available now, why doesn't Paizo partner with one of these outfits ala WizKids for figurines to create Adventure Path specific build outs that can be purchased and played? I mean, it would be great to have some of the highlights from the AP's rendered in three dimensions so that we can play them.

You know who would buy those? Me. You know who would subscribe to something like that? Me.

Along other lines, why only black tee shirts? I know you sell a lot of black tee shirts, but that is because that is the only color you offer. We have the technology to do other colors. Why not?!

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules Subscriber
Chinasaur wrote:

Is it now impossible to create a post about Paizo products generally? If it is, I was not smart enough to find where.

You should get an option to start a new thread near the top of the page if you click on the specific forum you want to put it in.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules Subscriber

Also, regarding the Fleshdregs: I have the fortune of having a group of players that is mostly familiar with Silent Hill 4. I'm going to have a lot of fun milking some creepy visuals out of these guys. :D


Who should I thank for the Skvader being included among the monsters? (They're so darn cute! And have their own road-sign - squee!)

Paizo Employee Developer

Kajehase wrote:
Who should I thank for the Skvader being included among the monsters? (They're so darn cute! And have their own road-sign - squee!)

Wes put them on the schedule, Craig Campbell wrote them up, and I developed them. I dig the crazy critters!

Paizo Employee Developer

Mikaze wrote:

Also, regarding the Fleshdregs: I have the fortune of having a group of players that is mostly familiar with Silent Hill 4. I'm going to have a lot of fun milking some creepy visuals out of these guys. :D

While I've never played Silent Hill (thus don't know the connection), I'm glad I was able to bring the creepy!


Adam Daigle wrote:
Kajehase wrote:
Who should I thank for the Skvader being included among the monsters? (They're so darn cute! And have their own road-sign - squee!)
Wes put them on the schedule, Craig Campbell wrote them up, and I developed them. I dig the crazy critters!

Big thanks to all three then. :D


What are the monsters (+ small discription of them) in this book?


Bishop Agathion - Fishy-looking, squid-faced angel with a head for logic and scaring the crap out of evil types. (And, let's face it, good types caught unprepared too. Squid-faced!)

Fleshdreg - A failed sinspawn who sometimes show up in swarm form.

Melfesh Monster - A plant-monster from the area around the village of Melfesh who can emit poisonous vapors, envelop its victims, and generally would have Seymour wetting his roots.

Skvader & Wolpertinger: Hybrid animals from Swedish and Bavarian folklore.

Snallygaster - Aberration which looks like a goofy dragon and enjoys booze, blood of sentient creatures, and long walks on the beach. (Disclaimer: may not actually enjoy walks on the beach.)


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Snallygaster- looks more like a one eyed flying dinosaur.

Skvader/Wolpertinger- are rabbit based monsters, still no Almiraj but nice none the less.

Shadow Lodge Contributor, RPG Superstar 2010 Top 8

Kajehase wrote:

Bishop Agathion - Fishy-looking, squid-faced angel with a head for logic and scaring the crap out of evil types. (And, let's face it, good types caught unprepared too. Squid-faced!)

Fleshdreg - A failed sinspawn who sometimes show up in swarm form.

Melfesh Monster - A plant-monster from the area around the village of Melfesh who can emit poisonous vapors, envelop its victims, and generally would have Seymour wetting his roots.

Skvader & Wolpertinger: Hybrid animals from Swedish and Bavarian folklore.

Snallygaster - Aberration which looks like a goofy dragon and enjoys booze, blood of sentient creatures, and long walks on the beach. (Disclaimer: may not actually enjoy walks on the beach.)

Snallygaster!

Paizo Employee Developer

3 people marked this as a favorite.

Trivia note!

All the monsters in this issue's Bestiary, with the exception of the fleshdreg, are cryptids.


What's the squid-face angel's (okay, Agathion's) inspiration from?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Kajehase wrote:
What's the squid-face angel's (okay, Agathion's) inspiration from?

The bishop fish.


Cool.

RPG Superstar 2013 Top 8

Adam Daigle wrote:

Trivia note!

All the monsters in this issue's Bestiary, with the exception of the fleshdreg, are cryptids.

Which delighted me. I was laughing aloud by the time I hit the wolpertinger. The Melfesh Monster is supposed to be the Flatwoods Monster, right? Flying without wings, fiery eyes and a noxious stench all seem to fit. Never seen it interpreted as a plant, which was pretty cool.

Paizo Employee Developer

Demiurge 1138 wrote:
Adam Daigle wrote:

Trivia note!

All the monsters in this issue's Bestiary, with the exception of the fleshdreg, are cryptids.

Which delighted me. I was laughing aloud by the time I hit the wolpertinger. The Melfesh Monster is supposed to be the Flatwoods Monster, right? Flying without wings, fiery eyes and a noxious stench all seem to fit. Never seen it interpreted as a plant, which was pretty cool.

Absolutely correct!

RPG Superstar 2013 Top 8

Adam Daigle wrote:
Demiurge 1138 wrote:
Adam Daigle wrote:

Trivia note!

All the monsters in this issue's Bestiary, with the exception of the fleshdreg, are cryptids.

Which delighted me. I was laughing aloud by the time I hit the wolpertinger. The Melfesh Monster is supposed to be the Flatwoods Monster, right? Flying without wings, fiery eyes and a noxious stench all seem to fit. Never seen it interpreted as a plant, which was pretty cool.
Absolutely correct!

The "pointed hood" in the description was a bit of a tell. And, unfortunately, it didn't come across in the art.

For those of you unfamiliar with this classic bug-eyed monster:
The Flatwoods Monster!
One of my favorite pieces of modern American folklore. Right up there with Mothman and the Mad Gasser of Mattoon

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules Subscriber

Bishop Fish was what came to mind instantly when I saw those guys. Love the look they were given, and it's still wide open to lay plenty of other kinds of fish features over them to make them unsettlingly beautiful or ugly(from Abe Sapien-ish to Gill Man). It really makes one wonder at what else lies in the deep waters of Nirvana. :)

Really, really like having these guys around.

Adam Daigle wrote:
Mikaze wrote:

Also, regarding the Fleshdregs: I have the fortune of having a group of players that is mostly familiar with Silent Hill 4. I'm going to have a lot of fun milking some creepy visuals out of these guys. :D

While I've never played Silent Hill (thus don't know the connection), I'm glad I was able to bring the creepy!

Here ya go! (relevant bit starts at 3:50-ish)

Explanatory tangent:
They're from Silent Hill 4, which may have been the odd-duck "unfavorite" of the pre-current gen console SH games, but it still had its strong points. The creatures were called Victims 07/08, manifestations of two children murdered by the serial killer behind the plot of the game.

It's the accusatory pointing around 3:55-ish that sticks with me.

Thinking about using a bit of that imagery with some of the fleshdregs: Pitiable, incomplete creatures unthinkingly and silently accusing and targeting PCs and NPCs alike more and more if they start wracking up certain sins, all staring through partial faces stolen from their composite souls... >:)

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Yeah, we gave the artist the Flatwoods Monster pictures as reference, but then basically said "go with this as a starting point but make it look realistic, so that the reference remains a drawing of a real monster made by someone who can't draw." He took it a bit further than that, I think, but what he came up with in the end was really cool so we kept it.


Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Deluxe Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Card Game Subscriber

Just got done with my first skimread. I'm very much liking this AP - I didnt really have a handle on it until now, but it's great to see another AP broadly along the lines of RotRL - no specific "handle", just a traditional, old fashioned story of adventurers slaying monsters, finding loot and saving the world (eventually). A nice change from the previous run of more 'experimental' APs.

The upcoming instalments look good too (the synopsis of the AP is always the first thing I read when I get issue one, for some reason..) Particularly enthused to see more revelations planned regarding Kaer Maga. :)


Adam Daigle wrote:

Trivia note!

All the monsters in this issue's Bestiary, with the exception of the fleshdreg, are cryptids.

I hope to see Buggane and Cherufe in later parts of this AP series!


Mikaze wrote:
It really makes one wonder at what else lies in the deep waters of Nirvana. :)

Lets hope on the most famous left-out mythology/folklore monsters based on water, Abaia, a non-fish version of the Afanc and the Indus Worm


Demiurge 1138 wrote:
Adam Daigle wrote:
Demiurge 1138 wrote:
Adam Daigle wrote:

Trivia note!

All the monsters in this issue's Bestiary, with the exception of the fleshdreg, are cryptids.

Which delighted me. I was laughing aloud by the time I hit the wolpertinger. The Melfesh Monster is supposed to be the Flatwoods Monster, right? Flying without wings, fiery eyes and a noxious stench all seem to fit. Never seen it interpreted as a plant, which was pretty cool.
Absolutely correct!

The "pointed hood" in the description was a bit of a tell. And, unfortunately, it didn't come across in the art.

For those of you unfamiliar with this classic bug-eyed monster:
The Flatwoods Monster!
One of my favorite pieces of modern American folklore. Right up there with Mothman and the Mad Gasser of Mattoon

I was going to wait an dfinish up Skull & Shackles before tackling the new AP, but after reading this (and about the skymetal), I now officially HAVE to get this one. The Phantom of Flatwoods is here? One of the classic 50's flying saucer monsters? I've got to see this one.

Oh Phantom of Flatwoods, from near or from far,
Maybe from Earth and not from the stars...

And I agree on needing a Mad Gasser of Mattoon-type monster or character for the game. Maybe a mad alchemist with a taste for airborne toxins?


Adam Daigle wrote:

Trivia note!

All the monsters in this issue's Bestiary, with the exception of the fleshdreg, are cryptids.

Still patiently awaiting a PF version of the wampus cat. :-)

And for the record, I echo the positive comments expressed above.

Liberty's Edge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

I inspected the maps in the adventure PDF (not the interactive ones) for use with a VTT. The secret door and concealed door labels are showing up on the map layer that I copy without the labels (the room numbers are gone but the secret and concealed door labels remain).

I usually prefer to snag the map graphics straight out of the adventure PDF rather than depend on the interactive map PDF, because they tend to have a larger size and hence look nicer. Having to photoshop out the unwanted labels, however, is a pain.

Providing true labelless maps in the adventure PDF despite also having the interactive map option would be a plus.

Thanks!

(It looks like in some cases I can fiddle with the interactive map display sizes and get them to match the PDF maps with no pixelization, and shut off all map tags. That's a valid option, too, as long as that works. In the case of shattered Star 1, 136% does it)

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Sincubus wrote:
Mikaze wrote:
It really makes one wonder at what else lies in the deep waters of Nirvana. :)
Lets hope on the most famous left-out mythology/folklore monsters based on water, Abaia, a non-fish version of the Afanc and the Indus Worm

Shattered Star isn't intended to be the "cryptid AP" at all. Upcoming volumes might have more cryptids... but that's not the goal.

Paizo Employee Paizo Glitterati Robot

Pygon wrote:

I inspected the maps in the adventure PDF (not the interactive ones) for use with a VTT. The secret door and concealed door labels are showing up on the map layer that I copy without the labels (the room numbers are gone but the secret and concealed door labels remain).

I usually prefer to snag the map graphics straight out of the adventure PDF rather than depend on the interactive map PDF, because they tend to have a larger size and hence look nicer. Having to photoshop out the unwanted labels, however, is a pain.

Providing true labelless maps in the adventure PDF despite also having the interactive map option would be a plus.

Thanks!

(It looks like in some cases I can fiddle with the interactive map display sizes and get them to match the PDF maps with no pixelization, and shut off all map tags. That's a valid option, too, as long as that works. In the case of shattered Star 1, 136% does it)

I see what's going on here. I'll see what I can do to get this fixed up as soon as possible.

Paizo Employee Paizo Glitterati Robot

The PDF has been updated to fix the map label issue above.


Chris, Have these PDF issues been fixed yet?

Glitches

One is the Shattered Star player's Guide, the other is the first volume in the Shattered Star AP. Both are viewed on my iPad 2 using iBooks.

Liberty's Edge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Chris Lambertz wrote:
The PDF has been updated to fix the map label issue above.

Chris,

I downloaded both the single file and one file per chapter PDFs, and viewed them used Adobe Reader 10.1.3. This is the same version of Adobe I used to inspect the maps before.

Now when I mouse into the maps, I don't get a crosshair. I get a crosshair if I hold control and move the mouse into the maps, but then clicking and copying only grabs the page border and leaves a black area in the middle when I paste.

I notice not many of the images in the PDF are selectable now, usually on the pages with a border pattern. The main NPC art on the cover is selectable as are the TOC and foreword art.

Paizo Employee Paizo Glitterati Robot

Sunderstone wrote:

Chris, Have these PDF issues been fixed yet?

Glitches

One is the Shattered Star player's Guide, the other is the first volume in the Shattered Star AP. Both are viewed on my iPad 2 using iBooks.

The Player's Guide and AP Volume have been fixed.

Pygon wrote:
Now when I mouse into the maps, I don't get a crosshair. I get a crosshair if I hold control and move the mouse into the maps, but then clicking and copying only grabs the page border and leaves a black area in the middle when I paste.

This too, has been fixed. :)

Redownloading in both cases should reflect the changes.


Thanks Chris, I'll redownload after work tonight.

Liberty's Edge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Chris Lambertz wrote:


Pygon wrote:
Now when I mouse into the maps, I don't get a crosshair. I get a crosshair if I hold control and move the mouse into the maps, but then clicking and copying only grabs the page border and leaves a black area in the middle when I paste.

This too, has been fixed. :)

Redownloading in both cases should reflect the changes.

It is indeed fixed! Thanks!

Dark Archive

Pathfinder Deluxe Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
GeraintElberion wrote:
magnuskn wrote:
Well, I'd love to see the developments of prior AP's in Varisia acknowledged here. Then again, I've been asking for some metaplot advancement for a long time now. Golarion is all set-up and no pay-off. ;)

I'm sure there is a group out there who:

** spoiler omitted **

Paizo can't advance the metaplot without invalidating their game, which I do not support.

Regarding your spoiler...

You found my group already, good times.


Really, REALLY dislike the new art style in the Bestiary in this one!

Really hope it returns to normal (bestiary 2/3 art style and previous AP art styles) in the next chapter, these artworks really don't go well together with the less childish and more serious artworks of the other products.

For the rest the artwork in the AP is good, only the bestiary is weird.

No offence to the artist, its just so different from the other artwork.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion Subscriber

I, for one, applaud any appearances of anime/cartoon inspired art in Pathfinder products.

Silver Crusade

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules Subscriber

Arnold Tsang for Reign of Winter's bestiary art duties!


Paizo Charter Superscriber; Pathfinder Deluxe Comics Subscriber

Please, no!

Dark Archive

Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

My favorite artist in this book outside of WAR was J. P. Targete. I would like to see more of his art in future books.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion Subscriber
Mikaze wrote:
Arnold Tsang for Reign of Winter's bestiary art duties!

\tentacle bump/

Another proof that Mikaze and I share the taste in everything.

Except for Good Orcs and Ugly Celestials, that is. :P


Gorbacz wrote:
I, for one, applaud any appearances of anime/cartoon inspired art in Pathfinder products.

You applaud everything that I dislike just for the sake of me being the one that dislikes it.

The artists who drew Jorogumo, Valkyrie, Jabberwocky, Lukwata, Maftet, Fungus Leshy & Interlocutor Kyton are really good monster artists for example.

Cartoony style can be fun, but when it comes to monsters they just won't do... its too pokemon meets blizzards warcraft...

301 to 350 of 385 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / paizo.com / Product Discussion / Pathfinder Adventure Path #61: Shards of Sin (Shattered Star 1 of 6) (PFRPG) All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.