Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Pathfinder Adventure Card Game Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Pathfinder Adventures Pathfinder Campaign Setting Pathfinder Player Companion Pathfinder Accessories Pathfinder Miniatures Pathfinder Fiction Pathfinder® Society™ Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Compatible Products Pathfinder Apparel & Gifts Pathfinder Licensed Products
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

Pathfinder Player Companion: People of the North (PFRPG)

****( ) (based on 8 ratings)
Pathfinder Player Companion: People of the North (PFRPG)
Show Description For:
Non-Mint

Add Print Edition: $10.99

Add PDF: $7.99

Non-Mint: Unavailable

Facebook Twitter Email

Far beyond the reach of the soft southlander lords lie the frozen forests and icy tundra of the Inner Sea region’s northernmost nations. Here dragon-headed longships ply the arctic seas, nomadic tribes hunt and ride mighty mammoths, and the descendents of the Witch Queen Baba Yaga rule a nation where spring has been forgotten. Whether they’re hardened natives or arctic adventurers, everyone in the northern lands walks a fine line between finding wealth and glory and filling a shallow grave in the bloody snow.

People of the North presents a player-focused, in-depth discussion of the northern nations of the Inner Sea region. Each Pathfinder Player Companion includes new options and tools for every Pathfinder RPG player. Inside this book, you’ll find:

  • Thorough explorations of the different races and cultures that call the frozen north home, from notorious Ulfen raiders to secretive Snowcaster elves to barbaric Kellids.
  • Overviews of the three major nations of the North—the viking Lands of the Linnorm Kings, the savage Realms of the Mammoth Lords, and the evil queenship of Irrisen.
  • New traits and roles to customize characters of every northern ethnicity and nationality.
  • New feats and archetypes for northern warriors, such as the viking and the witchbreaker, plus new icy spells and the winter oracle mystery.
  • Cold-weather adventuring gear and magic items, advice on northern fighting styles, campaign traits, cultural sayings, and much more!

By Matthew Goodall, Shaun Hocking, Rob McCreary, Philip Minchin, and William Thrasher

This Pathfinder Player Companion is intended for use with the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, but can easily be incorporated into any fantasy world.

Each monthly 32-page Pathfinder Player Companion contains several player-focused articles exploring the volume’s theme as well as short articles with innovative new rules for all types of characters, as well as traits to better anchor the player to the campaign.

ISBN-13: 978-1-60125-475-7

Note: This product is part of the Pathfinder Player Companion Subscription.

Product Availability


Print Edition: Ships from our warehouse in 2 to 14 business days.

PDF: Fulfilled immediately. Will be added to your My Downloads Page immediately upon purchase of PDF.

Non-Mint: Unavailable This product is non-mint. Refunds are not available for non-mint products. The standard version of this product can be found here.

Are there errors or omissions in this product information? Got corrections? Let us know at webmaster@paizo.com.

PZO9428


See Also:



Product Discussion (179)
1 to 50 of 179 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | next > last >>
Paizo Employee Chief Technical Officer

Announced! Image is a mockup, and will change prior to publication.

Osirion

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

No Shoanti? well... That saddens me, but at least there are Kellid and Ulfen for me to use in Epic longboat battles fought at Ramming Speed!

Cheliax

Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Hmm interesting title, so is this the first of a series of books? :)


2 people marked this as a favorite.

anything with the Linnorn Kings count me in


Pathfinder Card Game Subscriber
Stratagemini wrote:
No Shoanti? well... That saddens me, but at least there are Kellid and Ulfen for me to use in Epic longboat battles fought at Ramming Speed!

I'd be willing to bet the Shoanti get some coverage in the upcoming Varisia Player Companion.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Sounds interesting but it is definitly a different way of presenting character options. So this one is going to be terrain based as opposed to race based then.

Andoran

4 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

This is a Stark departure from most of what I've seen on the Companion line.

Grand Lodge

Hm...elves...and I see what you did there, Mr. Laschoni...

I approve of the northern races. They have an interesting culture I'd like to get to know a bit more. I'm certainly interested.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting Subscriber

Hmmm. Perhaps a hint of the AP following Shattered Star? It'd probably come out later in the year if that were the case, but still...

Qadira

Damnit more money I don't have.

Silver Crusade

Laschoni wrote:
This is a Stark departure from most of what I've seen on the Companion line.

haHA!

RPG Superstar 2010 Top 16, 2011 Top 32, 2012 Top 4

Generic Villain wrote:
Hmmm. Perhaps a hint of the AP following Shattered Star?

That's what I was thinking as well.


Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Freaking sweet
as I love cold environments.


Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
MerrikCale wrote:
anything with the Linnorn Kings count me in

agreed


Ooh, I'll be looking forward to this. Yay for more Viking fun in the Frozen North.

Contributor, RPG Superstar 2010 Top 4

Yay for more Irrisen and Linnorm King player information. That is a simmering hotbed of a border after all.

Yay!


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

I was waiting for Jim's reaction to this announcement. It was considerably more tame than I expected!


Eric Hinkle wrote:
Ooh, I'll be looking forward to this. Yay for more Viking fun in the Frozen North.

Spam! Spam! Spam! Spam! Lovely Spam! Lovely Spam!

Spam! Spam! Spam!
Lovely spam! Wonderful spam!
Lovely spam! Wonderful spam!
Spam! Spam! Spam! Spam! Lovely spam! Wonderful spam!
Spam! Spam! Spam! Spam!
Lovely spam! Wonderful spam!
Spam spa-a-a-a-a-am spam spa-a-a-a-a-am spam.
Lovely spam! Lovely spam! Lovely spam! Lovely spam!
Spam spam spam spam!


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Loves it! Barbarians galore!

Taldor

Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Tales Subscriber

Geordies and Mackems! Oh my!


JOYGASM !!!!!!

Andoran

Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

So if this follows. _____ of Golarion, Faiths of ____, and Blood of ____. There should be a Companion companion or two, will it be so blunt as People of the South?


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting Subscriber
Laschoni wrote:
So if this follows. _____ of Golarion, Faiths of ____, and Blood of ____. There should be a Companion companion or two, will it be so blunt as People of the South?

As written, this volume isn't covering all of the north - otherwise it would have to also detail nations like Brevoy, Numeria, Mednev, the World Wound, etc. This one seems to be lumping together the countries wherein being "in the north" is a core part of their identity - Numeria or Mendev could just as easily be found in Garund, for example, but you couldn't stick Irrisen or the Land of the Linnorm Kings down there without drastically altering their character.

Osirion

3 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

This is about nations where Men are MEN! women are MEN! and MEN! are VIKINGS! Men of the North! The Northmen! or, if you wish, Norsemen.

Even longboats are MEN! in this book! I assume.

Shadow Lodge

Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Card Game, Cards, Companion, Maps, Pawns, Roleplaying Game, Tales Subscriber
Stratagemini wrote:

This is about nations where Men are MEN! women are MEN! and MEN! are VIKINGS! Men of the North! The Northmen! or, if you wish, Norsemen.

Even longboats are MEN! in this book! I assume.

What about small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri?


We be dragons! Or possibly linnorms.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

We Be Pugwampis!

Grand Lodge

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Winter is coming.

Paizo Employee Editor-in-Chief

Stratagemini wrote:
No Shoanti? well... That saddens me, but at least there are Kellid and Ulfen for me to use in Epic longboat battles fought at Ramming Speed!

You'll get all the love you could want for Shoanti in the book about their home country: Varisia.

Paizo Employee Editor-in-Chief

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Dark_Mistress wrote:
Hmm interesting title, so is this the first of a series of books? :)

Maybe. We'll see if it takes. Flexibility is one of the new names of the game with this line, so don't expect "People of the South/Darklands/Planes/Moon/Basement/Etc." But if it plays well and folks like what they see... well, we're all about giving people what they like.

Paizo Employee Editor-in-Chief

Generic Villain wrote:
As written, this volume isn't covering all of the north - otherwise it would have to also detail nations like Brevoy, Numeria, Mednev, the World Wound, etc. This one seems to be lumping together the countries wherein being "in the north" is a core part of their identity - Numeria or Mendev could just as easily be found in Garund, for example, but you couldn't stick Irrisen or the Land of the Linnorm Kings down there without drastically altering their character.

True story. All that, any "People of the Northwest" lacks a certain je ne sais quoi.


F. Wesley Schneider wrote:
Generic Villain wrote:
As written, this volume isn't covering all of the north - otherwise it would have to also detail nations like Brevoy, Numeria, Mednev, the World Wound, etc. This one seems to be lumping together the countries wherein being "in the north" is a core part of their identity - Numeria or Mendev could just as easily be found in Garund, for example, but you couldn't stick Irrisen or the Land of the Linnorm Kings down there without drastically altering their character.
True story. All that, any "People of the Northwest" lacks a certain je ne sais quoi.

Not to mention the amount of backlash you'd get if it didn't have a barrista/programmer prestige class.

Silver Crusade

2 people marked this as a favorite.

"Hipsters of Golarion"


1 person marked this as a favorite.
uriel222 wrote:
"Hipsters of Golarion"

You have to explain that one.

I'd rather see a "People of the Northeast". Mendev, Brevoy, Numeria, and the Worldwound are more interesting to me than vikings (although I'm mildly curious about Irrisen and the Snow Elves). I hope there are plans for such a book.

Osirion

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Fabius Maximus wrote:
uriel222 wrote:
"Hipsters of Golarion"

You have to explain that one.

I'd rather see a "People of the Northeast". Mendev, Brevoy, Numeria, and the Worldwound are more interesting to me than vikings (although I'm mildly curious about Irrisen and the Snow Elves). I hope there are plans for such a book.

It's a Joke about the pacific Northwest of America. Specifically the Seattle Area.

Contributor, RPG Superstar 2010 Top 4

uriel222 wrote:
"Hipsters of Golarion"

That would be the stilyagi!

Imagine the Iron Guard shaking their fists. "Damn kids and your frothy coffee!"

Seriously, I'm saying it as a joke, but that's how I see them. Flaunting the system and authority, and making one big joke out of the LAW. Based on their priveledged birth.

All joking aside, I'd like to see some trait and player support for lesser jadwiga and stilyagi. Actually being a player in Irrisen should be pretty challenging (but not impossible). Those options would allow a player start without being on the bottom of the food chain.

And stilyagi screams player to me.

Gosh, Jonathan Keith wrote some awesome stuff in Cities of Golarion. I loved the Whitethrone chapter.


Despite my Linnorm lands bias I'm forced to agree - made me want to build a paper-model of The Crooked House (then I remembered I suck at doing artsy stuff). And the Ten Ways to Appease an Ice Troll is pure genius!


Fabius Maximus wrote:
uriel222 wrote:
"Hipsters of Golarion"
You have to explain that one.

For an in-depth explanation (with cute robots and neurotic but cute womenfolk), read this.

...it's only over 2000 strips...

Contributor, RPG Superstar 2010 Top 4

Kajehase wrote:
And the Ten Ways to Appease an Ice Troll is pure genius!

Yeah, heavily influenced the Frostfur Captives. :)


Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

So who is working on this book?

I loved Frostburn and I am hoping this is as good or better.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Azure_Zero wrote:
So who is working on this book?

Top people.

Contributor, RPG Superstar 2010 Top 4

Speaking as a fan and a customer, I'd nominate Jonathan Keith if he is available and/or has the free time. As I said, I liked his stuff before.

Heh. Top People!


Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

I think you mean "Top Men"


Nah. I'm an equal opportunities kind of guy.

Paizo Employee Editor-in-Chief

Kajehase wrote:
Nah. I'm an equal opportunities kind of guy.

We get ourselves into a lot of trouble trying to satisfy our own OCD or internally manufactured parity. You can see in my response to Dark Mistress above that if this book performs well we'll totally consider doing another like it, but I have no intention of "People of X" becoming a series before I see that it's worthy of it. This book is also covering a lot of ground and has varied masters to serve, and it's unlikely in the near future that we'll have a reason to take a similar view of say... the people of the Southeast with details on Taldor, Andoran, Qadira, etc, or the people of the farther Southeast with Osirion and Jalmeray. That's not because I wouldn't love to or because such books wouldn't be awesome, but we've got literally dozens of totally awesome ideas for this line and I think it'd be a shame to straightjacket ideas we're more excited about and that potentially serve our product strategies better just because the compass rose has other directions.

So not saying we won't do more like this, not saying we don't want to do more like this, but we're keeping the Player Companion line flexible so we can try lots of different things and find out what folks really get excited about. So expect a lot of variety in this line, especially in the coming year. But if it turns out that readers want "People of the ____" to be a subseries more than anything, I'm sure this guy's sales will prove that out and we'd be fools to ignore it. Because we're definitely watching.

Paizo Employee Editor-in-Chief

Azure_Zero wrote:

So who is working on this book?

I loved Frostburn and I am hoping this is as good or better.

Did someone make that "Top Men" joke already? Dang.

Just for a bit of perspective, Frostburn was a how many hundred page book with tons of prestige classes, monsters, and other crazy environmental stuff? This is a 32-page guy with a lot of cultures and ground to cover. There's going to be tons of cool stuff in here, but just remember a larger container can hold more than a smaller container. In other words, Zoobooks not Encyclopedia Britannica, surgical not comprehensive.


Stratagemini wrote:
Fabius Maximus wrote:
uriel222 wrote:
"Hipsters of Golarion"

You have to explain that one.

I'd rather see a "People of the Northeast". Mendev, Brevoy, Numeria, and the Worldwound are more interesting to me than vikings (although I'm mildly curious about Irrisen and the Snow Elves). I hope there are plans for such a book.

It's a Joke about the pacific Northwest of America. Specifically the Seattle Area.

Ah. I thought they were a problem in all urban areas.

Cheliax

8 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

One thing I am really hoping is in this book. Well things I should say. I would like to see culture aspects to help bring them to life. Common forms of dress, any forms of address for nobles etc that is common to them(like in Russia you had a Czar instead of a king), common types of foods(since most cultures develop their own types of foods) just anything to help make that ethnic group/s come to life and stand apart. So when PC's go there it feels different and not just cause the people have funny names and or look a little different.

Andoran

Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Dark_Mistress wrote:
One thing I am really hoping is in this book. Well things I should say. I would like to see culture aspects to help bring them to life. Common forms of dress, any forms of address for nobles etc that is common to them(like in Russia you had a Czar instead of a king), common types of foods(since most cultures develop their own types of foods) just anything to help make that ethnic group/s come to life and stand apart. So when PC's go there it feels different and not just cause the people have funny names and or look a little different.

+1 to this.


4 people marked this as a favorite.
Paizo Charter Superscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Deluxe Comics Subscriber
Laschoni wrote:
This is a Stark departure from most of what I've seen on the Companion line.

Perhaps it's because so many people in the North have Iron Will.

F. Wesley Schneider wrote:
... so don't expect "People of the South/Darklands/Planes/Moon/Basement/Etc." But if it plays well and folks like what they see... well, we're all about giving people what they like.

Awesome. I'm totally hoping for People Under The Stairs next year.

1 to 50 of 179 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / paizo.com / Product Discussion / Pathfinder Player Companion: People of the North (PFRPG) All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.