Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
About Paizo Messageboards News Paizo Blog Help/FAQ
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

New Paths #1: The Expanded Spell-less Ranger (PFRPG) PDF

***** (based on 4 ratings)

Our Price: $3.99

Add to Cart
Facebook Twitter Email

Aragorn Didn't Cast Spells!

Just because some designer thought rangers should be spell-slingers doesn't make it right! With The Expanded Spell-Less Ranger, you can now play an authentic ranger without spells, but with great new abilities.

Welcome to the Expanded Spell-Less Ranger, a base class for the Pathfinder RPG that was first presented in Kobold Quarterly #11 and which reviewers called a "must-read" at RPG Geek.

The removal of spells makes this a true ranger-type, but the new powers and expanded abilities mean that the Spell-Less Ranger can hold his own in a fight. With new animal companion options and Ranger Talents, this class covers the hunter's bond, fast movement, expanded tracking, hunting, additional favored enemies, trap handling, and much more, all in keeping with the ranger you know from The Lord of the Rings.

The Expanded Spell-less Ranger includes much new material beyond the original magazine version, such as two new archetypes for the companion-bound ranger and the dual-style ranger, plus new feats specific to this ranger that make them masters of their terrain. Includes a full 20-level character progression plus tracking sheets for favored terrain, enemies, and companions.

Be a real ranger! Get The Expanded Spell-Less Ranger today!

Product Availability


Fulfilled immediately. Will be added to your My Downloads Page immediately upon purchase of PDF.

Are there errors or omissions in this product information? Got corrections? Let us know at webmaster@paizo.com.

OPDNPRANE


See Also:

Product Discussion (325)
201 to 250 of 325 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | next > last >>
Andoran

Arknight wrote:

In trying to help with more of the Herolab stuff for this, I do have one question for the designers and public at large.

Which Ranger archetypes are appropriate for the ESR? I haven't had a good chance to see which ones basically require some kind of spell casting and which ones don't....

Thanks to any who could provide insight :)
TC

Well, the Spell-less Ranger is still a ranger, so I would say any archetype that does not replace or otherwise affect spells should work.

I might also point out the Expanded Spell-less Ranger PDF has two archetypes designed for use with both a Spell-less Ranger or a standard ranger (the companion-bound ranger and the dual-style ranger)

Andoran

Blackmyre wrote:
Hi, I'm new to the message boards. So, I hope I'm asking in the right area.

Welcome to the boards! :)

Blackmyre wrote:
I'm playing a Spell-less Ranger (Awesome Class Mark!)

Thank you Sir!

Blackmyre wrote:
who's about to take the trapfinding talent and my DM wants futher clarification. It says "to locate traps (See Rogue)" in the talent. Do you get to add 1/2 your ranger levels as well as detect magical traps when in your favored terrain? that's how I understand it and since our group has no rogue, I'm kind of filling that slot. Thanks to anyone who can help. :)

Correct - it allows the Spell-less Ranger to essentially use the rogue's Trapfinding ability when in a favored terrain. So, a Spell-less Ranger adds 1/2 his level to Perception skill checks made to locate traps and to Disable Device skill checks (minimum +1)when in a favored terrain and can use Disable Device to disarm magic traps.


Thanks Marc!

That is somewhat along the lines of what I was thinking. That would leave out the Nirmathi Irregular, the Skirmisher and the Trapper.

I'll help LC get the two archetypes in the book in, then worry about that. :)


Has anyone modified a Character sheet to reflect the changes the Spell-Less Ranger includes?


Thanks mark for the clarification. Can't wait to see what other classes you'll come up with. Thanks, again. :)

Andoran

silverhair2008 wrote:
Has anyone modified a Character sheet to reflect the changes the Spell-Less Ranger includes?

Well, the spell-less ranger is still a ranger at heart, so the standard character sheet works fine.

However, the Expanded Spell-less Ranger PDF DOES come with 2 tracking sheets. One is a custom character sheet designed for an animal companion; the other is for favored terrain and favored enemies. This second sheet also has a spot for things like Nature's Healing and other Spell-less Ranger specific abilities.

Cheliax

I was looking at the spell-less ranger's stealth attack progression in the HL file and it seems off.
In the PDF it states that the SLR recives his stealth attack at 2nd level and then +1d6 every four level thereafter (6,10,14,18) but in the HL file it shows as 2, 5, 9, 13, 17. It looks as though the second step is off by 1 level.

Qadira Contributor; Publisher, Kobold Quarterly

Yep, that is a mistake in the HL file. Will need to fix, or please send me a fixed file you if you get the chance to revise it.

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Card Game, Cards, Companion, Modules, Pawns, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

I have a question, and maybe a bug report...

Who takes the "Improved Animal Companion" feat (and the rest of the line), the ranger or the companion?

It is listed as available under "Ranger Feat" in the "Ranger Talents" section so it appears it is taken by the ranger; however, the HeroLabs file lists the feat as taken by the companion (it is not listed in the ranger feats).

So which is correct?

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Card Game, Cards, Companion, Modules, Pawns, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Hmm, I've been informed that this issue may have already been corrected in the HeroLab file.

If so (can't check at the moment), never mind...

Andoran

Hey there Doc Watson (and Marik Whiterose)!

Sorry, I can't actually speak to the content HeroLab file - it was created by a very generous Kobold fan after the Spell-less Ranger came out.

I can tell you that feats like Improved Animal Companion are definitely taken by the ranger, not the animal companion. Hopefully the errors mentioned here can be addressed asap.

Hope that helps!

Andoran

Hey everyone

You didn't hear it from me but ... look for a fun little 'quasi-update' for the Spell-less Ranger some time in the near future :)

Andoran

Hey everyone - if I understand correctly, the new PDF for the Spell-less Ranger should now be live! I completely updated the layout so that it matches all the more recent New Paths installments. I think it flows a lot better.

Anyone who previously purchased this should be able to re-download it again to get the new version. I think an automatic e-mail should have gone out to previous purchasers as well.

There should be an updated version of the cover as well here on the Product Page - I think the super awesome web store gninja will be on that shortly.

Hope everyone likes the new layout!


I read the posts on this and had to download it. No regrets there, since this is the best take I've seen on the spell-less ranger. I'm going to be writing one up for my next game and can't wait to play it. One question though, I've got the PDF, but I have no idea where to find the hero lab file. Any help finding it?

Qadira Contributor; Publisher, Kobold Press; RPG Superstar Judge

In theory, it's part of your download from Paizo. If not, something has Gone Wrong.


I think something has Gone Wrong than. I get the .zip file, but the only thing in it is the PDF.

Paizo Employee Webstore Gninja Minion

1 person marked this as a favorite.

The Wrong has been...dealt with. *wipes blood away from her kusari-gama*

You should be able to download both the PDF and the HeroLab file.

Andoran

Liz Courts wrote:

The Wrong has been...dealt with. *wipes blood away from her kusari-gama*

You should be able to download both the PDF and the HeroLab file.

You rock Liz!!


You're all awesome!

Andoran

Wow, the Expanded Spell-less Ranger popped back onto Paizo's "Top Ten Downloads From Other Companies" list again!

Very awesome! :)


Does the Expanded Shaman now have a .hl file as well?

Andoran

J. Christopher Harris wrote:
Does the Expanded Shaman now have a .hl file as well?

Good question ... and one to which I don't know the answer (I'm not a hero lab kinda guy myself :)

It might be better if you post your question in the Expanded Shaman thread though to avoid confusing products:

Expanded Shaman thread


Hey Marc,

While not explicitly stated, can you take the Additional Favored Enemy/Terrain feat multiple times?

Also, I purchased my copy through Kobold Press website and have downloaded the file again, but it seems to be the same as last time. Will this be updated?

I flippin' LOVE the class by the way. I've always been a ranger and always been bummed that the TWF version is not as good as either fighter TWF or rogue TWF, but now with the stealth attack it is on par and possibly better. Great work!

Andoran

Mythraine wrote:

Hey Marc,

While not explicitly stated, can you take the Additional Favored Enemy/Terrain feat multiple times?

Strictly speaking, as written you cannot take those feats multiple times. That said, as long as the GM is OK with it, I don't see any reason not to allow it.

Mythraine wrote:
Also, I purchased my copy through Kobold Press website and have downloaded the file again, but it seems to be the same as last time. Will this be updated?

Hmmm ... let me ping the great Kobobold Overlord about that - stay tuned ...

Mythraine wrote:
I flippin' LOVE the class by the way. I've always been a ranger and always been bummed that the TWF version is not as good as either fighter TWF or rogue TWF, but now with the stealth attack it is on par and possibly better. Great work!

Thank you! That means so much to me, honest! I never get tired of hearing when someone digs something I've done :)

Qadira Contributor; Publisher, Kobold Press; RPG Superstar Judge

And the Kobold Overlord has uploaded the revised file to the Kobold Store as well. Anyone who picked it up there can download the new version any time!

Andoran

There you go - kobolds do not mess around!


Thanks Marc and Wolfgang. Got the new one, it looks great! Love the layout and colour throughout.

Marc, also big props on the other NP's. We have one in our group playing a Goblin Shaman. He loves it. Don't stop the NP's coming. I would love to see a mount-less cavalier (I know it's a long shot). I feel there as yet isn't a great option for a foot knight. Mounts are tricky in dungeons, and sure you could just play a fighter or cleric or paladin on foot, but the cavalier works so well as a knight but is way too tied up with mounted combat. Thoughts?

Regardless, keep up the good work.

Andoran

Mythraine wrote:

Thanks Marc and Wolfgang. Got the new one, it looks great! Love the layout and colour throughout.

Marc, also big props on the other NP's. We have one in our group playing a Goblin Shaman. He loves it. Don't stop the NP's coming. I would love to see a mount-less cavalier (I know it's a long shot). I feel there as yet isn't a great option for a foot knight. Mounts are tricky in dungeons, and sure you could just play a fighter or cleric or paladin on foot, but the cavalier works so well as a knight but is way too tied up with mounted combat. Thoughts?

Regardless, keep up the good work.

Thanks Mythraine! I'm very happy with both the Spell-less Ranger and the Shaman, so it makes my day to hear that people like 'em and, better yet, are actually playing them in their games!

There are more New Paths coming, have no fear! I have the Battle Scion and White Necromancer in the hopper and there at least two others on the way as well :)


I'm new to these boards. Just purchased it, and i love the product, but (and this was the main reason i purchased it) the HL files seems to be missing the two archtypes listed in the PDF. Has anyone done them? The main reason i purchased it rather than write my own was i was excited that HL files were included.


I did not know there was an expanded version. I will procure this on the morrow.

Qadira Contributor; Publisher, Kobold Press; RPG Superstar Judge

Yes, the Hero Lab files are part of the package and people seem to be happy with them. I'll look into what's up with them.

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Roleplaying Game, Tales Subscriber
kevin_video wrote:
If you read the Dragon Magazine article "Gandolf was a 5th level Wizard" and the E6 system, they talk about how Aragon's just a 3rd level Ranger, 2nd level Fighter.

That's a matter of opinion. For my observations, the heroes of LOTR are far better stated in Middle Earth RolePlaying than they can ever be in D20. MERP's skills are more granular and it's styles of magic are far more subtle and are better matched to the setting. If you threw a quarter of the encounters that the Fellowship go throuh in a single day, the theoretical D20 group equivalent would be crying for healing before they were a quarter of the way through. That's because of the way d20 is built.

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Roleplaying Game, Tales Subscriber
Liz Courts wrote:

The Wrong has been...dealt with. *wipes blood away from her kusari-gama*

You should be able to download both the PDF and the HeroLab file.

Looks like another opening for internship folks, but be warned I hear that Ms. Courts is a rather ... sharp.... grader.

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Roleplaying Game, Tales Subscriber
Marc Radle wrote:
Blackmyre wrote:
Hi, I'm new to the message boards. So, I hope I'm asking in the right area.

Welcome to the boards! :)

Blackmyre wrote:
I'm playing a Spell-less Ranger (Awesome Class Mark!)

Thank you Sir!

Blackmyre wrote:
who's about to take the trapfinding talent and my DM wants futher clarification. It says "to locate traps (See Rogue)" in the talent. Do you get to add 1/2 your ranger levels as well as detect magical traps when in your favored terrain? that's how I understand it and since our group has no rogue, I'm kind of filling that slot. Thanks to anyone who can help. :)
Correct - it allows the Spell-less Ranger to essentially use the rogue's Trapfinding ability when in a favored terrain. So, a Spell-less Ranger adds 1/2 his level to Perception skill checks made to locate traps and to Disable Device skill checks (minimum +1)when in a favored terrain and can use Disable Device to disarm magic traps.

Is this that much different than the Paizo Trapper archetype, which is also spellless?

Andoran

LazarX wrote:
Is this that much different than the Paizo Trapper archetype, which is also spellless?

Hey there. I'm not sure if I understand the question - do you mean overall, or just specifically in the case of traps?

Paizo's Trapper archetype does indeed remove spells and certainly makes the Trapper Ranger better at dealing with traps, but other than that, he's still pretty much a normal ranger in every other way.

The Spell-less Ranger is a full Ranger variant class with a pretty significant number of new class features/abilities, including the selection of various Ranger Talents ... one of which just happens to be the Trapsmith Ranger Talent.

Hopefully that helped!

Andoran

Matthew MacGibbon 36 wrote:
I'm new to these boards. Just purchased it, and i love the product, but (and this was the main reason i purchased it) the HL files seems to be missing the two archtypes listed in the PDF. Has anyone done them? The main reason i purchased it rather than write my own was i was excited that HL files were included.

Welcome to the boards Matthew! Really glad you like the Spell-less Ranger :)

Unfortunately, I can't speak to the HL file - it was created by someone other than me (I'm a character sheet, dice and pencil guy :) but I'm sure Wolfgang will get to the bottom of it.

Andoran

Freehold DM wrote:
I did not know there was an expanded version. I will procure this on the morrow.

Anxious to hear what you think! Heck, a review is always welcomed, should you feel so inclined :)


Wolfgang Baur wrote:
Yes, the Hero Lab files are part of the package and people seem to be happy with them. I'll look into what's up with them.

Thanks. The base class seems to be fine, its just the two archtypes (and one of my players want to use it) is whats missing.


I'll check into that. :)

I did the files, and I thought I included them. However,that could have been the Shaman I was thinking of. :)

EDIT: Matthew: Are you trying to use the Archetypes with a normal ranger or the ESR? I'm looking at my file, and see the two archetypes available for the ESR version...


The ESR. I dont even see them listed.

Ill look at my file again when im home, as im not currently home. When i imported it, did it create a .user file?


I've sent an updated file to Wolfgang to hopefully take care of that as well as make the Archetypes available to a standard ranger.

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Roleplaying Game, Tales Subscriber
Marc Radle wrote:
LazarX wrote:
Is this that much different than the Paizo Trapper archetype, which is also spellless?

Hey there. I'm not sure if I understand the question - do you mean overall, or just specifically in the case of traps?

Paizo's Trapper archetype does indeed remove spells and certainly makes the Trapper Ranger better at dealing with traps, but other than that, he's still pretty much a normal ranger in every other way.

The Spell-less Ranger is a full Ranger variant class with a pretty significant number of new class features/abilities, including the selection of various Ranger Talents ... one of which just happens to be the Trapsmith Ranger Talent.

Hopefully that helped!

Yes that makes a difference... so it's a Ranger with new mechanics then. gotcha.


I dobule checked, I even went into the editor and looked at the .user file, and there are no archetypes. Is it possble i somehow have an old version? (its odd as i just downloaded/purchased it the other day)

Andoran

LazarX wrote:
Marc Radle wrote:
LazarX wrote:
Is this that much different than the Paizo Trapper archetype, which is also spellless?

Hey there. I'm not sure if I understand the question - do you mean overall, or just specifically in the case of traps?

Paizo's Trapper archetype does indeed remove spells and certainly makes the Trapper Ranger better at dealing with traps, but other than that, he's still pretty much a normal ranger in every other way.

The Spell-less Ranger is a full Ranger variant class with a pretty significant number of new class features/abilities, including the selection of various Ranger Talents ... one of which just happens to be the Trapsmith Ranger Talent.

Hopefully that helped!

Yes that makes a difference... so it's a Ranger with new mechanics then. gotcha.

Glad I could help!

Andoran

Arknight wrote:
I've sent an updated file to Wolfgang to hopefully take care of that as well as make the Archetypes available to a standard ranger.

Thanks Arknight! Great to hear the two Spell-less Ranger archetypes will be available for traditional rangers in Hero Lab! As an aside, I recently saw a player with a traditional ranger using both the companion bound and dual-style archetypes during a one shot to great effect.


Marc Radle, I cannot thank you enough for this. I just downloaded it, and I truly love this take on the Ranger. It has inspired me and breathed new life into a class I was always at odds with.

Andoran

Freehold DM wrote:
Marc Radle, I cannot thank you enough for this. I just downloaded it, and I truly love this take on the Ranger. It has inspired me and breathed new life into a class I was always at odds with.

Wow, you are very welcome! It thrills me to hear you say that!

I think you officially made my day - would it be too much to get what you said in your post printed on a t-shirt? ;)

Paizo Employee Webstore Gninja Minion

Matthew MacGibbon 36 wrote:
I'm new to these boards. Just purchased it, and i love the product, but (and this was the main reason i purchased it) the HL files seems to be missing the two archtypes listed in the PDF. Has anyone done them? The main reason i purchased it rather than write my own was i was excited that HL files were included.

Please try downloading the file again if you're missing the HeroLab component!


Liz - its not that the Hero Lab component was missing its that it didnt contain everything that was in the PDF. Arknight implied that the file had to be updated on the server, and I was told on the Hero Lab forums page itself that it had been updated. But when I re-downloaded it last night, it seemed to be the same as before.

Can someone confirm that the file has been updated? To me it doesnt look like it has.

Thanks again.

Qadira Contributor; Publisher, Kobold Press; RPG Superstar Judge

Wait, the complaint is that the free Hero Lab file made by a volunteer doesn't contain everything in the PDF?

I see. Look, the addition of Hero Lab files is a bonus here and a bit of an experiment. We don't charge for them. I would certainly love to have an updated file that covers every single element of the PDF, but for now, I think covering most of it in a free HL file is a pretty nice extra.

The other option here is simply to remove the HL element from this download. I'm fine with that solution as well.

What's the preference, generally?

201 to 250 of 325 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / paizo.com / Product Discussion / New Paths #1: The Expanded Spell-less Ranger (PFRPG) PDF All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.



©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.