Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Pathfinder Adventure Card Game Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Pathfinder Adventures Pathfinder Campaign Setting Pathfinder Player Companion Pathfinder Accessories Pathfinder Miniatures Pathfinder Fiction Pathfinder® Society™ Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Compatible Products Pathfinder Apparel & Gifts Pathfinder Licensed Products
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

PaizoCon 2014!

Pathfinder Roleplaying Game: Advanced Race Guide (OGL)

****( ) (based on 26 ratings)
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game: Advanced Race Guide (OGL)
Show Description For:
Non-Mint

Add Hardcover: $39.99

Add PDF: $9.99

Add Non-Mint: $39.99 $29.99

Facebook Twitter Email

Get the most out of your heritage with the Pathfinder RPG Advanced Race Guide! Embrace your inner monster by playing one of 30 iconic races from mythology and gaming history, or build an entirely new race of your own. If classic races are more your style, go beyond the stereotypes for elves, dwarves, and the other core races with new options and equipment to help you stand out from the crowd.

The Pathfinder RPG Advanced Race Guide is a bold new companion to the Pathfinder RPG Core Rulebook. This imaginative tabletop game builds on more than 10 years of system development and an Open Playtest featuring more than 50,000 gamers to create a cutting-edge RPG experience that brings the all-time best-selling set of fantasy rules into the new millennium.

The 256-page Pathfinder RPG Advanced Race Guide includes:

  • New rules and options to help you customize all seven of the classic core races, including new racial traits, racial subtypes, and racial archetypes.
  • 30 exotic races, from mischievous goblins and reptilian kobolds to crow-headed tengus and deadly drow, each with complete rules for use as player characters, plus archetypes, alternate racial traits, and other options for maximum customization.
  • A complete and balanced system for creating an unlimited number of new races, mixing and matching powers and abilities to form characters and cultures specific to your campaign.
  • Tons of new race-specific equipment, feats, spells, and magic items for each of the races detailed!
  • AND MUCH, MUCH MORE!

ISBN-13: 978-1-60125-390-3

Note: This product is part of the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Subscription.

Product Availability


Hardcover: Ships in 2 to 6 business days.

PDF: Fulfilled immediately. Will be added to your My Downloads Page immediately upon purchase of PDF.

Non-Mint: Ships in 2 to 6 business days. This product is non-mint. Refunds are not available for non-mint products. The standard version of this product can be found here.

Are there errors or omissions in this product information? Got corrections? Let us know at webmaster@paizo.com.

PZO1121


See Also:



Product Discussion (1,409)
201 to 250 of 1,409 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Cheliax

Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Drow needs to be included to make that $$$. I suppose half-dragons or something similar would make $$$ as well.

I would like a PC viable lizardman as well.

I also think more races should be viable for PFS as well, although it should not be the ones included in the boons this year in order to make them more special. Next Gen Con can have more different races also.


Would anyone know if this will have reprinted material from the
Pathfinder Companion: Elves of Golarion,Pathfinder Companion: Humans of Golarion, etc,etc....

Cheliax

Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Chris Wojcik wrote:

Would anyone know if this will have reprinted material from the

Pathfinder Companion: Elves of Golarion,Pathfinder Companion: Humans of Golarion, etc,etc....

I don't believe so, since that information was mostly Golarion specific and this is meant to be generic to be used with any campaign world.


Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Companion, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Can't wait to see this as a polished product.


Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Companion, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

I can't wait to see what they put in the book from the wish list thread.

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Maps, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Knight_Druid wrote:
I would love to see a race that is half-cyclops. Perhaps this race use to be slaves to a cycloptian race on a different plane, and have just recently gained freedom through some calamitous revolt. Or catpeople of some sort works too! Regardless I'm looking forward to this book as well. It's nice that Paizo listens to it's player base and tries to implement these wishes as best as possible.

Half-cyclops? what, it has one and half eyes?

Doesn't sound very good to me.

andrew

Shadow Lodge

Any ETA for the playtest?


Are we going to see iconic characters for the following races (?):

Aasimar, Dhampir, Drow, Duergar, Fetchling, Grippli, Ifrit, Kitsune, Nagaji, Oread, Samsaran, Strix, Sylph, Svirfneblin, Tengu, Tiefling, Undine, Wayang


Berselius wrote:

Are we going to see iconic characters for the following races (?):

Aasimar, Dhampir, Drow, Duergar, Fetchling, Grippli, Ifrit, Kitsune, Nagaji, Oread, Samsaran, Strix, Sylph, Svirfneblin, Tengu, Tiefling, Undine, Wayang

Probably not until some more new classes are introduced, since an iconic is based on the class and not the race. Now, if this had come out before Ulitmate Combat, maybe we could have seen an iconic Gunslinger who happened to be a Tiefling or an iconic Ninja who happened to be a Kitsune.


I would like to see included in the entry for goblinoid races the fact that they are all trained in stealth, regardless of class as per the goblinoid subtype entry in the glossary.

RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32

2 people marked this as a favorite.

Not to be a dick but here is what I would like to see ... the folks at Paizo take their time with the Advanced Race Guide.

It is very disappointing to see so many two and three reviews for Ultimate Magic and Ultimate Combat. I am one of the disappointed three star Ultimate Magic hardcover owners. Which in turn has made me gun-shy about purchasing Ultimate Combat.

I understand there is the need to keep money coming in every month to pay the bills. But I am also a consumer who is speaking with their wallet. If you don't produce products at a certain quality level, you don't get my money.

Underdeveloped, underperforming and luke warm products are not what Paizo needs, what Paizo is known for, or what Pathfinder players and followers want. It was a problem at Wizards of the Coast with 3.5, and I would hate to see it happen so early on in Paizo's Pathfinder line.

To the folks at Paizo perhaps take a couple big steps back and take a good third and forth look at the Advanced Race Guide as it continues to develop. Maybe even bring in an outside consultant to review and give feedback on the project. Sometimes those on the inside are too close to the project to see the big picture, to see what is missing, underdeveloped, or needs more polishing on a product. Another suggestion would be to read through the Advanced Race Guide Messageboard posts from players (your consumers).

Don't get me wrong I love the Pathfinder game system and play it two to four times per month. But three underperforming products in a row starts to leave players (consumers) hesitating and wondering whether to invest more money in Paizo products.


kid america wrote:

Not to be a dick but here is what I would like to see ... the folks at Paizo take their time with the Advanced Race Guide.

It is very disappointing to see so many two and three reviews for Ultimate Magic and Ultimate Combat. I am one of the disappointed three star Ultimate Magic hardcover owners. Which in turn has made me gun-shy about purchasing Ultimate Combat.

I understand there is the need to keep money coming in every month to pay the bills. But I am also a consumer who is speaking with their wallet. If you don't produce products at a certain quality level, you don't get my money.

Underdeveloped, underperforming and luke warm products are not what Paizo needs, what Paizo is known for, or what Pathfinder players and followers want. It was a problem at Wizards of the Coast with 3.5, and I would hate to see it happen so early on in Paizo's Pathfinder line.

To the folks at Paizo perhaps take a couple big steps back and take a good third and forth look at the Advanced Race Guide as it continues to develop. Maybe even bring in an outside consultant to review and give feedback on the project. Sometimes those on the inside are too close to the project to see the big picture, to see what is missing, underdeveloped, or needs more polishing on a product. Another suggestion would be to read through the Advanced Race Guide Messageboard posts from players (your consumers).

Don't get me wrong I love the Pathfinder game system and play it two to four times per month. But three underperforming products in a row starts to leave players (consumers) hesitating and wondering whether to invest more money in Paizo products.

I thought that the last few books were great for a number of different perspectives. There were options for both the player AND the GM. A large number of negative reviews only centered on the player perspective which is a lackluster way to approach it.


Any news as to when we might see a playtest availible for the race creation rules? I'd love to have them as early as possible so we the players and GMs can start running rampant with them and report back on what works and what doesn't. After all I think thats what made magus come out complete gold was the fact that we had it early and got to fine tune and give you feedback.

Of all the things that could be playtested. I think this is the #1 that customers are looking forward to and that needs to be put through its paces before it hits the printers.

Look forward to any news the fantastic people at Paizo can give us!

Designer, RPG Superstar Judge

Elias Darrowphayne wrote:
Any news as to when we might see a playtest availible for the race creation rules?

Soon!


Lord Fyre wrote:
Cat Girls?

I've always thought of this as a better cat-people race for DnD.

RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32

Dark_Mistress wrote:
Azure_Zero wrote:
Dark_Mistress wrote:
Sean K Reynolds wrote:
Terry Van D!@+ wrote:
Erik Mona wrote:

You should read the description. Every playable race in the entire game will be in this book.

Plus new ones you can make from scratch.

Erik, can you settle a question for me? Is the dhampyr going to have abilities that it does not already have as a result of the previously printed material? I'm holding up a decision based on this for our next campaign. Thanks.
Every race in the book includes new material. It's not just the stats you already have from the monster book presented in Core Rulebook format.
Is it April yet?
Impatient are we, well I also hate waiting. But if the product is to be done right, it needs time bake into the best possible ARG
It's my prerogative as a female... so is it April now? :)

Nope.

Still not April.
/sigh


Something I would like to see is a race similar to Shifters. I thoroughly enjoyed playing them in 3.5 Eberron and have made one of my first shifter characters in multiple fantasy tabletop game settings that had a "fuzzy race". I know Paizo would be hard pressed to get the rights to shifters, but who knows, maybe with the rumored "Create-a-Race" rules I can finally play a "shifter" in Pathfinder.


Pathfinder Companion, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
OmNefarious wrote:
Something I would like to see is a race similar to Shifters. I thoroughly enjoyed playing them in 3.5 Eberron and have made one of my first shifter characters in multiple fantasy tabletop game settings that had a "fuzzy race". I know Paizo would be hard pressed to get the rights to shifters, but who knows, maybe with the rumored "Create-a-Race" rules I can finally play a "shifter" in Pathfinder.

If by "shifter" you mean "shapeshifter," the kitsune race from the Dragon Empires Gazeteer is supposed to be a shapeshifting race.


No OmNefarious means a race that is descended from Lycanthropes. They were an exclusive race next to the Warforged and Changling in the Ebberon Campaign Setting.

It provided folks an lycanthrope type option without delving into the LA problems.


yeah that's what I meant. Golden, they were pretty much half-lycanthropes and depending on their tribe/bloodline they gained different stats and abilities. Some grew claws or long fangs, others gained wings, or some became better at tracking by gaining the scent ability. Their "shift" was like a Barbarian's rage ability where they looked even more feral during their shift.

Being able to play a Shifter Ranger who could gain the scent ability would be fantastic.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

like the thundercats???


Less Thundercats, more Sabertooth.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_of_Eberron#Shifters


less sabertooth more thundercats...

or more feral just less dead, not a fan of sabertooth....


Steelfiredragon wrote:

less sabertooth more thundercats...

or more feral just less dead, not a fan of sabertooth....

I would like to see them like the Hani feline race from CJ Cherryh's The Pride of Chanur and it's sequels.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

More like the new Thundercats but all of them have tails not just a some of them. I wonder what kind of cat or cats they based on. It would be cool to choose wich one, so it gives you some kind of trait/ability/bonus based on the type of cat.


I don't think I'll ever understand the all-pervasive compulsion for catfolk... I do understand peoples' love of their pet cats and all that entails. I just don't understand the payoff for roleplaying a humanoid that has a cat's face. The vast majority of catfolk I've seen created over the years seem to focus on things like improved agility and heightened senses. These two groups of bonuses are easily acquired without also mandating that one be descended from felines. So... what else motivates so many people so strongly to want to play a catfolk? Is it the furry ears? The fluffy tail? The whiskers? What? I'm also surprised that we don't see even a tiny fraction of a demand for dogfolk - aren't they just as popular and beloved a pet as cats?

Can anyone actually explain this gamer fetish for catfolk? Please? All I've ever gotten in response in the past are people claiming I hate cats (I don't) or that I'm trolling (I'm not).


Spiralbound wrote:

I don't think I'll ever understand the all-pervasive compulsion for catfolk... I do understand peoples' love of their pet cats and all that entails. I just don't understand the payoff for roleplaying a humanoid that has a cat's face. The vast majority of catfolk I've seen created over the years seem to focus on things like improved agility and heightened senses. These two groups of bonuses are easily acquired without also mandating that one be descended from felines. So... what else motivates so many people so strongly to want to play a catfolk? Is it the furry ears? The fluffy tail? The whiskers? What? I'm also surprised that we don't see even a tiny fraction of a demand for dogfolk - aren't they just as popular and beloved a pet as cats?

Can anyone actually explain this gamer fetish for catfolk? Please? All I've ever gotten in response in the past are people claiming I hate cats (I don't) or that I'm trolling (I'm not).

I have to agree. I am in a LARP where mostly the ladies LOVE to play Cat peole, we call them Kalatani. I will admit they look good, but generally those ladies look good no matter what race they are playing.

I think alot of it has to do with the characteristics that cat lovers attribute to cats.

In my Larp, I had an encounter with a bunch of he cat people and I threw a ball of yarn at them.


Advanced Race Guide product description wrote:
Additionally, the Advanced Race Guide offers meaty sections on a dozen “spotlight” races that make interesting and exciting player character options, such as goblins, aasimar, tieflings, dhampyrs, drow, the elemental races from Bestiary 2, and several others.

While "dhampyr" is a valid way to spell it, the Bestiary 2 spells that race "dhampir." I'm guessing this is maybe a temporary product description, but the spelling difference should probably still be corrected.

Also, I just created a level 3 dhampir inquisitor of Sarenrae for a local game. (His light sensitivity means he perceives Sarenrae's presence all the more acutely.) I'm looking forward to seeing the new dhampir options.


the best way to explain it, may be to play something comepletely different.

its also the likely reason some play non evil drow.( note I said non evil and not good aligned)


Spiralbound wrote:

I don't think I'll ever understand the all-pervasive compulsion for catfolk... I do understand peoples' love of their pet cats and all that entails. I just don't understand the payoff for roleplaying a humanoid that has a cat's face. The vast majority of catfolk I've seen created over the years seem to focus on things like improved agility and heightened senses. These two groups of bonuses are easily acquired without also mandating that one be descended from felines. So... what else motivates so many people so strongly to want to play a catfolk? Is it the furry ears? The fluffy tail? The whiskers? What? I'm also surprised that we don't see even a tiny fraction of a demand for dogfolk - aren't they just as popular and beloved a pet as cats?

Can anyone actually explain this gamer fetish for catfolk? Please? All I've ever gotten in response in the past are people claiming I hate cats (I don't) or that I'm trolling (I'm not).

As far as Shifters are concerned they arent all derived from cats. Some are, but others can trace their lycanthrope heritage to werewolves and wereboars, as well as bats and some other critters.

I think in 4E the primary shifter traits were longtooth (wolf) and razorclaw (cat).

Playing catpeople is a way of playing a "monstrous" race without having to be something seen as a "bad guy". That or someone somewhere in the internet would say we are all closet furries.


Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Spiralbound wrote:

I don't think I'll ever understand the all-pervasive compulsion for catfolk... I do understand peoples' love of their pet cats and all that entails. I just don't understand the payoff for roleplaying a humanoid that has a cat's face. The vast majority of catfolk I've seen created over the years seem to focus on things like improved agility and heightened senses. These two groups of bonuses are easily acquired without also mandating that one be descended from felines. So... what else motivates so many people so strongly to want to play a catfolk? Is it the furry ears? The fluffy tail? The whiskers? What? I'm also surprised that we don't see even a tiny fraction of a demand for dogfolk - aren't they just as popular and beloved a pet as cats?

Can anyone actually explain this gamer fetish for catfolk? Please? All I've ever gotten in response in the past are people claiming I hate cats (I don't) or that I'm trolling (I'm not).

As a comparison:

I've never understood the appeal of Tolkien-influenced elves (not the short elves from fairy tales, but the immortal elitist developers of magic and archery) at all. I just can't see myself ever playing a two-century old pointed-eared snob. And as you can see (or rather, read), this frustration with the popularity of elves has metastasized into a bile-covered revulsion. Understand that I don't hate elves in general, just how D&D's archetypal elves are presented and flavored.

The same can't be said for halfings. I've always f+*&ing hated halflings beginning from the first time I read The Hobbit.

Returning to the original question:
Like Mournblade94 said, those of us that like catfolk are drawn to the race because in many ways, we easily identify with cats and their behavior. Others just want new races to replace races they actively dislike.


Pathfinder Companion, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
OmNefarious wrote:
Playing catpeople is a way of playing a "monstrous" race without having to be something seen as a "bad guy". That or someone somewhere in the internet would say we are all closet furries.

About 83% of people are closet furries because of Disney, if you define a 'furry' in the loosest of terms :).

Regardless of whether or not this book specifically has cat people in it (I think I read somewhere that it will because of the Bestiary 3, but I could be wrong), the build-a-race section will probably work wonders, if it is done properly.

Now all I need is an official Prestige Class and Archetype building guide so I can feel more confident about my creations, and I will be content. After all, there's guides for building monsters (Bestiary) and guides for building spells (Ultimate Magic) and guides for building NPCs and Worlds (GameMastery Guide), so why not have a guide for building archetypes and prestige classes? We'll call it ... the GameMastery Guide II!


(re-posting this from the Store Blog comments section)

Was it intentional to change Dreamspeaker's benefits from those listed in the elf's racial variants in the APG? In the APG the +1 bonus was to divination spells and sleep effects, whereas here it is a +1 bonus to divine spells and spells that produce sleep effects.

Divination spells get a huge boost, becoming divine spells of any sort, and sleep effects get a nerf, becoming spells that produce sleep effects (no spell-like/supernatural sleep effects here). All in all, it seems a net gain, though.

APG Dreamspeaker::

Dreamspeaker: A few elves have the ability to tap into the power of sleep, dreams, and prescient reverie. Elves with this racial trait add +1 to saving throw DCs for spells of the divination school and sleep effects they cast. In addition, elves with a Charisma of 15 or higher may use dream once per day as a spell-like ability (caster level is equal to the elf’s character level). This racial trait replaces the elven immunities racial trait.

ARG Playtest Dreamspeaker::

Dreamspeaker (2 RP): Prerequisites: None; Benefit: Members of this race gain a +1 bonus to the saving throw DCs of divine spells and spells that produce sleep effects that they cast. In addition, if a member of this race has a Charisma of 15 or higher, it may use dream once per day as a spell-like ability (with a caster level equal to the individual’s character level).

Also, Weapon Familiarity seems better than the standard version. Auto-proficiency with racial weapons, not just treating them as martial weapons.

And, is it assumed that Charisma is the default ability for the Spell-like Ability ability?

Prehensile tail has a typo. the second 'cannot' should be 'can.'

Still reading.

I love the concept, and will have a lot of fun playing with it.


Pathfinder Companion, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
W Canepa wrote:
Stuff about Dreamspeaker

Considering how you can't spell "divination" without "divin" and using a divination spell is called 'divining,' I'd be willing to bet at least one vestigial organ that the Advanced Race Guide version of dreamspeak is a typo.

I think it goes either or for Weapon familiarity. Elves have the same thing where they're auto-proficient with specific martial weapons and then treat a specific exotic weapon as martial. In short, it's free proficiency if it's martial and if you pick an exotic weapon (basically a weapon you'd normally need a feat for), it's now martial.

Charisma is always the default stat for Spell-like abilities unless noted otherwise (like the Spell Expertise feat).

Andoran

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting Subscriber

Although they're probably copyright-protected, I'd love to see Draconians make an appearance in Pathfinder. Dragonlance was always my favorite setting and after reading Kang's Doom Brigade's storyline I was hooked by the idea of playing one in a campaign.

Probably just wishful thinking, but still worth a shot.


Zahariel wrote:

Although they're probably copyright-protected, I'd love to see Draconians make an appearance in Pathfinder. Dragonlance was always my favorite setting and after reading Kang's Doom Brigade's storyline I was hooked by the idea of playing one in a campaign.

Probably just wishful thinking, but still worth a shot.

You certainly could not call them Draconians. But I do not think that creating a race of Dragon Warriors can be copyrighted. I remember a cool Dragon article from the 80's before dragon lance came out, where you cast spells on a Dragon's Tooth, plant it in the ground and a Dragon Warrior formed.


Pathfinder Companion, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Mournblade94 wrote:
You certainly could not call them Draconians. But I do not think that creating a race of Dragon Warriors can be copyrighted. I remember a cool Dragon article from the 80's before dragon lance came out, where you cast spells on a Dragon's Tooth, plant it in the ground and a Dragon Warrior formed.

Considering that the concept of planting a dragon's tooth into the ground and warriors popping out is directly from Greek mythology and is therefore a trope "Older Than Writing," you are in deed correct in that it cannot be copyrighted :).

Lantern Lodge

Enevhar Aldarion wrote:
Steelfiredragon wrote:

less sabertooth more thundercats...

or more feral just less dead, not a fan of sabertooth....

I would like to see them like the Hani feline race from CJ Cherryh's The Pride of Chanur and it's sequels.

+2! awesome series


Celebrating here!

This is exactly the book I've been waiting for since APG.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Yes this one interest me more than ultimate combat and ultimate magic did. Also I like the race creation point system and can't wait to see wat the guys at Paizo do with the finished product.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Golden-Esque wrote:
Mournblade94 wrote:
You certainly could not call them Draconians. But I do not think that creating a race of Dragon Warriors can be copyrighted. I remember a cool Dragon article from the 80's before dragon lance came out, where you cast spells on a Dragon's Tooth, plant it in the ground and a Dragon Warrior formed.
Considering that the concept of planting a dragon's tooth into the ground and warriors popping out is directly from Greek mythology and is therefore a trope "Older Than Writing," you are in deed correct in that it cannot be copyrighted :).

I'd forgotten all about that. How about Spartoi ("sown" per the Wikipedia entry) as the race of dragon-men.


Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber

Okay, most folks don't like this idea, but some do, myself included. I like races and classes that go hand and hand. If I wanna play this Ninja, I make up a race that goes with the back story, and this class. I want a perfect story, with all the draw backs, so if I can get something in the future that gives my players guide lines for the home-made characters, that would be sweet. Maybe a few examples of races geared for classes along with their back stories. I just wanna have a rule I can reference to back me up when my players go CRRRASEY. Yeah, that was supposed to be, "gay", no offense.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

-I hope the race building section gives options for the Aberration, Dragon, and Magical Beast types

-That there will be lots of racial feats

-That there will be racial favored class bonuses

-A lot of new racial traits

-Maybe some racial magic items, spells, or weapons/tools


I'm just hoping they allow goblins a way to function as wizards or alchemists while still being illiterate. I like the flavour it gives the race, but does mean they need a work around - even if it costs them their first level feat.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Card Game, Companion Subscriber
mighty_squash wrote:
I'm just hoping they allow goblins a way to function as wizards or alchemists while still being illiterate. I like the flavour it gives the race, but does mean they need a work around - even if it costs them their first level feat.

Goblins of Golarion states that goblin alchemists are perfectly fine, their formula books are pictures only, no text.

Wizards are kinda shafted, tho :)


Pathfinder Companion, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Dragon78 wrote:

-I hope the race building section gives options for the Aberration, Dragon, and Magical Beast types

-That there will be lots of racial feats

-That there will be racial favored class bonuses

-A lot of new racial traits

-Maybe some racial magic items, spells, or weapons/tools

Using Ultimate Magic and Ultimate Combat as a guide, combined with the fact that Ultimate Equipment is due our in Q3 of the same year, I'd highly doubt that we'd get racial magic items / weapons / tools.

I'd honestly be a little surprised if we didn't get racial Cleric domains for the base races, sort of like what Forgotten Realms did (i.e. Human domain, Goblin Domain, etc.). Heck, you could even go about making a lot of the subraces into subdomains, i.e. Human could have Tiefling and Aasimar as subdomains, Drow could be an Elf subdomain, etc.

Favored Class bonuses all but have to be in this book, in my opinion. There aren't any options for Magus / Gunslinger in their respective books and one of the major factors that makes core races a little bit better than monstrous races are the various favored class bonuses that the core races receive. Racial Feats are all but a given, in my opinion. There are some in the APG, UM, and UC, so it would make sense for them to add a bunch of options in the Core book.

I personally think that a lot of the Bestiary Races (I'm looking at you, Elemental Races) need a slew of alternate traits in order to be playable. Since not every Sylph wants to be a Sorcerer ....


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

A trait for Dhampirs to have a bite attack would be nice and some other vampire related abilities through traits, alternate racial abilities, and feats.

Loved the alternate racial abilities in the APG as well. Hope to see them for the not so standard races like Aasimar, Catfolk, Sylph, Grippli,etc.

Paizo Employee Chief Technical Officer

I've updated the product description, removing the reference to the "upcoming" playtest.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Can't wait to see the art for this but that will be awhile before that happens.

But of course this makes me even more exited for the Beastairy 3.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Dragon78 wrote:

-I hope the race building section gives options for the Aberration, Dragon, and Magical Beast types

-That there will be lots of racial feats

-That there will be racial favored class bonuses

-A lot of new racial traits

-Maybe some racial magic items, spells, or weapons/tools

I like all of that, but I have a bigger over-arching desire: I would like your racial choice to matter beyond low-levels, mechanically speaking. I would like to see racial powers develop, rather than be set at first level. Racial feat trees would be an acceptable solution, but they should really reflect something of the racial mechanics already there, not be a feat anyone could take that just happens to have to word "orc" or "elf" thrown in requirements section. I'm looking at you, APG bard feats...

201 to 250 of 1,409 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / paizo.com / Product Discussion / Pathfinder Roleplaying Game: Advanced Race Guide (OGL) All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.