Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
About Paizo Messageboards News Paizo Blog Help/FAQ
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

RPG Superstar 2015

Bullet Points: 2 Options for the Leadership Feat (PFRPG) PDF

***** (based on 5 ratings)

Our Price: $1.00

Add to Cart
Facebook Twitter Email

Sometimes rules supplements read like the world-setting bible of frustrated novelists. Although solid world-building is a useful skill, you don’t always need four paragraphs of flavor text to tell you swords are cool, magic is power, shadows are scary, and orcs are savage. Sometimes a GM doesn’t have time to slog through a page of history for every magic weapon. Sometimes all that’s needed are a few cool ideas, with just enough information to use them in a game. Sometimes, all you need are bullet points.

#1 With A Bullet Point is a line of very short, cheap PDFs, and each one gives the bare bones of a set of related options. It might be five spells, six feats, eight magic weapon special abilities, or any other short set of related rules we can cram into about a page. Short and simple, these PDFs are for GMs and players who know how to integrate new ideas into their campaigns without any hand holding—they just need fresh ideas and the rules to support them. No in-character fiction setting the game world. No charts and tables. No sidebars of explanations and optional rules. Just one sentence of explanation for the High Concept of the PDF, then bullet points.

The High Concept: Two options for different ways to handle the Leadership feat, of use to groups who wish to shake things up, feel gaining the use of an entire additional character (a cohort) is unbalancingly powerful for one feat, or think seventy 1st level characters are more annoying than useful.

Product Availability


Fulfilled immediately. Will be added to your My Downloads Page immediately upon purchase of PDF.

Are there errors or omissions in this product information? Got corrections? Let us know at webmaster@paizo.com.

PZOPDFRGGOWC5128E


See Also:

Product Discussion (20)
Minister of Propaganda, Super Genius Games

The Leadership feat as written can be a little... intimidating. Well now it doesn't have to be! For the low, low price of $1.00 you can actually start using the Leadership feat today. :D

Hyrum.

Paizo Employee Modules Overlord

#1 With a Bullet Point: 2 Options for the Leadership Feat gets a 5/5 review over at RPGNow.

"I liked these options, simply because I’ve experienced the problems that Leadership can bring to the game table. Both of these create a stronger “support” role in the mechanics they offer, and have some great material for role-playing the people your character is friends with. If you’re tired of having to deal with cohorts and followers, check out 2 Options for the Leadership Feat."


Pathfinder Companion, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Owen K. C. Stephens wrote:

#1 With a Bullet Point: 2 Options for the Leadership Feat gets a 5/5 review over at RPGNow.

"I liked these options, simply because I’ve experienced the problems that Leadership can bring to the game table. Both of these create a stronger “support” role in the mechanics they offer, and have some great material for role-playing the people your character is friends with. If you’re tired of having to deal with cohorts and followers, check out 2 Options for the Leadership Feat."

I think part of the problem, Owen, is that the description doesn't tell the consumer ANYTHING about the rules that are in it; only that there's something wrong with the baseline Leadership feat and this product aims to fix it. It really looks like a blind shot-in-the-dark from our end.

Paizo Employee Modules Overlord

Golden-Esque wrote:
the description doesn't tell the consumer ANYTHING about the rules that are in it; only that there's something wrong with the baseline Leadership feat and this product aims to fix it. It really looks like a blind shot-in-the-dark from our end.

Well the game material is only 1 page long, as with all our bullet points, and the review gives a pretty good broad overview of the rules. But since I like trying to address the concerns of potential customers (it seems like good business), the short version is that that rather than add new full characters to a game (cohorts and followers), these options turn Leadership into a series of out-of-combat resources. It's still a feat, it just gives you access to aid you gain by having allies who aren't themselves adventurers.

For the record, I don't think there's a "problem" with Leadership -- I like the feat and have used it many times as a player and dealt with it many times as a GM. But a number of SGG customers have mentioned finding it annoying when it's come up in products of ours, and there are whole threads dedicated to what a pain it is as a GM, so this is an effort to create new, less resource-intensive, ways of handling the same basic idea.

The product is selling pretty well for us, though I'd guess that's as much because a lot of patrons seem happy to risk $1 as anything we did about advertising.


Cool options! My players are pretty excited about the first option. Two of my players were already using their cohorts as an out of combat resource, so they're pretty excited about having three instead of one.

Paizo Employee Modules Overlord

HalcyonAndOn wrote:
Cool options! My players are pretty excited about the first option. Two of my players were already using their cohorts as an out of combat resource, so they're pretty excited about having three instead of one.

In several playtest groups, the reaction from both players and GM was "This is great!," which I took as a good sign! I'm glad you like them. :)


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Gave you guys a review.

Paizo Employee Modules Overlord

Thanks for the review, Xorial!

Publisher, Dreamscarred Press

Just posted my review. Definitely recommend this.


Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber
Golden-Esque wrote:
I think part of the problem, Owen, is that the description doesn't tell the consumer ANYTHING about the rules that are in it; only that there's something wrong with the baseline Leadership feat and this product aims to fix it. It really looks like a blind shot-in-the-dark from our end.

To be fair, the review does state:

Quote:

The first option gives you only a scant handful of connections, but you can get quite a lot from them. The second option gives you a broad spectrum of connections, but these aren’t very specific to any particular individual.

In both cases, the benefits are virtually free of combat utility, and more focused on what the people you know can do for you.

Now, that's certainly non-specific. But when the substance of the thing that you're reviewing is a single page long, there's a very real concern that being too specific about what's here is essentially giving the material away for free. When there are only a few rules, describing them in detail pretty well tells everyone what the book's mechanics are, and then there's no more reason to buy it.

Paizo Employee Modules Overlord

jeremy.smith wrote:
Just posted my review. Definitely recommend this.

Thanks for both the review and the recommendation!


I just posted a review as well. Let me say that of all the 3PP products I have looked over, this style is the kind that I like. One or two pages of easy-to-integrate rules. These two options fit that bill wonderfully. I'm going to rename them both and use all three forms of Leadership. They all have a role to fill. I haven't decided what I want to call them yet, and I don't know if I'll be changing the levels you can acquire them.

Thanks to Mr Stephens, my campaign has gone from great to greater all because I bought that for a dollar!

Paizo Employee Modules Overlord

Bob_Loblaw wrote:

I just posted a review as well. Let me say that of all the 3PP products I have looked over, this style is the kind that I like. One or two pages of easy-to-integrate rules. These two options fit that bill wonderfully. I'm going to rename them both and use all three forms of Leadership. They all have a role to fill. I haven't decided what I want to call them yet, and I don't know if I'll be changing the levels you can acquire them.

Thanks to Mr Stephens, my campaign has gone from great to greater all because I bought that for a dollar!

Many thanks for the review, and I'm very glad the product is useful for you!

For note I've had a few people tell me they added these as the feats Well Connected and Local Hero, respectively. I'd be interested in knowing what names you go with. :)


Those names are actually perfect. If I come up with anything better I'll let you know but I doubt I will.

The Exchange

Picked up leadership for my Anti-paladin, I asked the DM to use this BP variant rules set, but I have to admit I didn't read it thoroughly before taking it. I am a little confused on the Crafting services provided in Option one. Its seems to me that a level 20 character will only ever have a level 10 caster equivalent for making items. Quite frankly this option for crafting services is unusable as I read it.

Also I was confused about the line that reads: "Such items must require a Spellcraft check with a DC of 10 + leadership score." Why the higher DC for with higher Leadership score?

Otherwise I like the rest. I think it will work well in our campaign.

Paizo Employee Modules Overlord

Nerfherder wrote:
Picked up leadership for my Anti-paladin, I asked the DM to use this BP variant rules set, but I have to admit I didn't read it thoroughly before taking it. I am a little confused on the Crafting services provided in Option one. Its seems to me that a level 20 character will only ever have a level 10 caster equivalent for making items. Quite frankly this option for crafting services is unusable as I read it.

Yes, at 20th level you can have made anything two 10th level characters (one divine, one arcane) can make. Since caster level is not a prerequisite for item creation, that's actually a huge range of items. It does mean you can't get a +5 weapon, but that's one of the reasons GMs who hate normal Leadership (often used to take a crafter cohort) allow these versions.

Nerfherder wrote:
Also I was confused about the line that reads: "Such items must require a Spellcraft check with a DC of 10 + leadership score." Why the higher DC for with higher Leadership score?

It says "a DC of 10 + leadership score or less. It's a cap to how high a Craft DC your crafters can make, since there's no actual check 9and thus no chance for failure or a cursed item).

Nerfherder wrote:
Otherwise I like the rest. I think it will work well in our campaign.

Glad it's working for you!


Review added here. Can't believe I overlooked this one, got a few more Bullet Points from an older purchase to get done as well.

Paizo Employee Modules Overlord

KTFish7 wrote:
Review added here. Can't believe I overlooked this one, got a few more Bullet Points from an older purchase to get done as well.

Thanks for the review!


Reviewed here, on DTRPG and sent to GMS magazine. Cheers!

Minister of Propaganda, Super Genius Games

Thanks again End!

Paizo / Messageboards / paizo.com / Product Discussion / Bullet Points: 2 Options for the Leadership Feat (PFRPG) PDF All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.