Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
About Paizo Messageboards News Paizo Blog Help/FAQ
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

The Genius Guide to the Mosaic Mage (PFRPG) PDF

***½( ) (based on 4 ratings)

Our Price: $3.99

Add to Cart
Facebook Twitter Email

Traditional wizards find magic in books, sorcerers in blood, and bards in music. The most powerful magical creatures of the Material Plane—dragons—find magic in color. Ignoring the traditional schools of magic, mosaic mages define spells by associated color. Red magic is violent and aggressive, but it also heals and loves. Both black magic and white magic are death, but one is also evil while the other good. Blue is mysticism, utility, and knowledge. Yellow is energy, enigmas, and light.

Mosaic mages prefer to identify themselves by the color in which they specialize. A mosaic mage who specializes in yellow magic, for example, prefers to be known as a yellow mage. So attuned to the color of magic in which they specialize, mosaic mages emanate a translucent aura that tints their skin and clothes. Although this tinted aura is not perceived any more powerfully by detect magic, it is obvious to the naked eye.

Ridiculed by the ignorant and magically sterile, mosaic mages of every color possess unique access to spells that are the envy of their bookish brethren. Red mages, for example, are among the few arcane casters with healing powers but who can also throw fire around better than divine healers. A minority among the already rare ranks of the mosaic mages are those who blend colors together to expand their access to magic, such as green mages, who can benefit from all magic associated with the mystical blue and enigmatic yellow spell spectrums. By studying the lessons of great wizards and historic artists, mosaic mages see magic in a different light.

Product Availability


Fulfilled immediately. Will be added to your My Downloads Page immediately upon purchase of PDF.

Are there errors or omissions in this product information? Got corrections? Let us know at webmaster@paizo.com.

RGSOWC5126E


See Also:

Product Discussion (61)
1 to 50 of 61 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>
Minister of Propaganda, Super Genius Games

It's live!

Hyrum.


Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Companion, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Sweet. I know someone who'd love this.


You guys never cease to amaze.
Now I gotta scrounge up 4 bucks :P

Minister of Propaganda, Super Genius Games

Kryzbyn wrote:

You guys never cease to amaze.

Now I gotta scrounge up 4 bucks :P

We certainly try. :)

(One less Starbucks run this week? :>)


I dunno...

Chai tea lattes are the shtuff.

I KEED


Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber

I can already see the follow-ups to this, as there are plenty of shades, tints, and tones out there just waiting to become a form of mosaic magic.


Brilliant Idea to take the magic of lantern rings and make them into the a form of pathfinder magic. Just Bloody Brilliant.

Cheliax

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

very cool and yet another product put in my cart. Like the 4th one today.


What a great concept! My players are notorious for not trying new classes and such, but as the GM I have no qualms about throwing new things at 'em. When my "DM Break" is over, I see good times ahead!

And since I complain about the art more than anyone, I must say the cover is beautiful and the wizard on page 6 is awesome!!!!

Ok, off to read the new goodie more closely.

Andoran

I'm very excited to read the reviews on this one.


I am very glad i noticed Owens post on this on his facebook account this morning, because I was able to get it and print it out to read on the train ride this morning. Very interesting concept. I am not sure how I feel about the class yet as I need to take a long look at the spells for the various colors. Unfortunately there is no good list of ALL spells by school that also lists subschools that I know of, so I am going to have to do some digging to actually see the spell lists as a whole (which is obviously important for evaluating the value of a primary caster).

Andoran

DungeonmasterCal wrote:


And since I complain about the art more than anyone, I must say the cover is beautiful

I agree - the cover art is very nice!


Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Companion, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Ryan. Costello wrote:
I'm very excited to read the reviews on this one.

Are you the author?

Andoran

Cheapy wrote:
Ryan. Costello wrote:
I'm very excited to read the reviews on this one.
Are you the author?

Yep. My first work for the Geniuses. Mages are outsider my comfort zone so I had to work a lot harder on the design for this one. I'd love any feedback to know how I did.

Shadow Lodge

Awesome! I'm buying this after finishing this post. It works great for a character I have(Kryzbyn knows who) that is a color mage!

(^-^)


I picked it up to DB3. that's who I had in mind when I read the desription :P

Shadow Lodge

Kryzbyn wrote:
I picked it up to DB3. that's who I had in mind when I read the desription :P

XD

It looks awesome so far!


Ryan. Costello wrote:
Cheapy wrote:
Ryan. Costello wrote:
I'm very excited to read the reviews on this one.
Are you the author?
Yep. My first work for the Geniuses. Mages are outsider my comfort zone so I had to work a lot harder on the design for this one. I'd love any feedback to know how I did.

Well, I love the concept, but I have to say I dont think I will ever be able to use this class. I love the idea that the spell lists are open ended, but they way they are divided means I will literally have to go through every spell one by one (by name) and try to figure out which are or arent on the mosaic mage's spell list. There arent any lists of all spells by school let alone by subschool, so putting together a spelllist would be working essentially from scratch.


Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Companion, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Kolokotroni wrote:
Ryan. Costello wrote:
Cheapy wrote:
Ryan. Costello wrote:
I'm very excited to read the reviews on this one.
Are you the author?
Yep. My first work for the Geniuses. Mages are outsider my comfort zone so I had to work a lot harder on the design for this one. I'd love any feedback to know how I did.
Well, I love the concept, but I have to say I dont think I will ever be able to use this class. I love the idea that the spell lists are open ended, but they way they are divided means I will literally have to go through every spell one by one (by name) and try to figure out which are or arent on the mosaic mage's spell list. There arent any lists of all spells by school let alone by subschool, so putting together a spelllist would be working essentially from scratch.

How does it handle it? Subschools go to specific color of mages?

If so, just use this!


Cheapy wrote:

How does it handle it? Subschools go to specific color of mages?

If so, just use this!

Yes I had thought about looking at the srd spells db, havent really given it alot of attention (the site is blocked here at work). But how it works is each of the colors have a set schools and subschools from which their spells come. ALL spells within these schools are available. So for instance Blue has Conjuration(teleportation). It wouldnt matter whether the spell is on the wizard list, the cleric list or any other, they get it, but at whatever the highest listed spell level is. I will have to see if i can create a useful way to interface with the d20pfsrd spells db, because to use these classes you really need a way to sort and order a huge number of spells.


Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Companion, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Yea, the spells db does that wonderfully.


There are also Green mages, or just primary colors' ones?


Bardess wrote:
There are also Green mages, or just primary colors' ones?

You can have mages that are a blend of the primary colors (Green/Grey/Orange) etc.


I'm still going over the mechanics, but I'm really liking this class. Usually my eyes just glaze over at Aura class features, but there's something about the Mosaic Mages' auras that come off as a really cool effect.

Of course, now I have to make a Mosaic Mage with extremely low Charisma, part of which is due to the colour of his Spectrum not being very complimentary. After all, not everyone can pull off every colour.

If I can put a request into the SGG suggestion box, I'd definitely like to see an expansion that adds more Spectrum and Advanced Spectrum powers to choose from.

As a quick question, I was looking at the Burning Rage power from the Red school and was wondering about the rage mechanic. I'm assuming that the Red Mage gets the physical bonuses and penalties of raging in addition to the caster level increase, but just what level is he considered for the purposes of the benefits/penalties of the rage. Is he always considered a 1st level Barbarian or is he considered a Barbarian equal to his Mosaic Mage levels?

Cheliax

Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Cards, Companion, Maps, Modules, Pawns, Roleplaying Game, Tales Subscriber

I just today started a new pbp. Why should I buy and use this in it? :D

Paizo Employee Modules Overlord

Justin Sluder wrote:
I just today started a new pbp. Why should I buy and use this in it? :D

If the idea of magic being divided thematically (spells that deal with life and death/spells that deal with perception and illusions/spells that deal with heat and passion) appeals to you, this is a great class to play with. I think Ryan did an awesome job of not only making a class that works well with the normal Pf classes, but also creating something that could replace nearly all spellcasters in a campaign (if a GM wanted to create something really new and different).

Paizo Employee Modules Overlord

A big "Thank You" to the two reviewers, Kolokotroni and Lunar Mage!

Andoran

Great jon Ryan! This looks like a really cool, unique idea for a class!


Owen K. C. Stephens wrote:
A big "Thank You" to the two reviewers, Kolokotroni and Lunar Mage!

Not a problem, I need to sit down and review some of the other sgg products i have, its just one of those tasks thats hard to start because it seems so daunting. This one kind of pushed me to put in a review because I thought people should get the warning that the class is very hard to manage without some form of electronic assistance in the management of the spell lists.

Paizo Employee Modules Overlord

Kolokotroni wrote:
I need to sit down and review some of the other sgg products i have, its just one of those tasks thats hard to start because it seems so daunting.

Let me know if there's anything I can do it help with that. :D Seriously, reviews are always helpful, so I'd love to see your thoughts on other SGG books, even if the reviews are fairly short.

Andoran

Tobias wrote:

As a quick question, I was looking at the Burning Rage power from the Red school and was wondering about the rage mechanic. I'm assuming that the Red Mage gets the physical bonuses and penalties of raging in addition to the caster level increase, but just what level is he considered for the purposes of the benefits/penalties of the rage. Is he always considered a 1st level Barbarian or is he considered a Barbarian equal to his Mosaic Mage levels?

I see how I could have made that clearer. My intention was for burning rage to work like the basic version of rage that barbarians receive at 1st level, regardless of the mosaic mage's level.

Justin Sluder wrote:
I just today started a new pbp. Why should I buy and use this in it? :D

Eep. Hope it's not to late for this one. Well, in addition to what Owen said, and knowing that you are a lover of character building, the mosaic mage allows you to create a spellcaster with both a versatile and highly thematic spell list. There are multiple tiers of customizability between choosing your magic spectrum, the option to choose a secondary spectrum, spectrum power selection, and of course the spells. Finally, colour carries with it a great deal of potential for personality and motivation. What makes a blue mage blue? You decide!


It's an intriguing concept, but what does this class offer other than unique spell lists?


SilvercatMoonpaw wrote:
It's an intriguing concept, but what does this class offer other than unique spell lists?

Each spectrum (color or combination of colors) has a set of power it can choose from as it levels up much like oracle mysteries. Each set of powers helps flesh out the mosaic mage to be more then just a particular set of spells.


Kolokotroni wrote:
Each spectrum (color or combination of colors) has a set of power it can choose from as it levels up much like oracle mysteries. Each set of powers helps flesh out the mosaic mage to be more then just a particular set of spells.

That's sort of the problem:

So far all I know is that the spell lists are designed a unique way and it has powers like every other magic class has powers.
What are the sorts of things these powers do that I need this product as opposed to calling another kind of caster a Mosaic Mage?

Andoran

SilvercatMoonpaw wrote:
Kolokotroni wrote:
Each spectrum (color or combination of colors) has a set of power it can choose from as it levels up much like oracle mysteries. Each set of powers helps flesh out the mosaic mage to be more then just a particular set of spells.

That's sort of the problem:

So far all I know is that the spell lists are designed a unique way and it has powers like every other magic class has powers.
What are the sorts of things these powers do that I need this product as opposed to calling another kind of caster a Mosaic Mage?

Well, we are talking about a full casting class. A barbarian differs from a fighter purely based on class features. With a caster, the spell list goes a long way.

Let me see if I can sum up the mechanical particularities of the mosaic mage:

Memorizes spells like a prepared caster;
Knows all spells on his spell list, like a cleric;
Spell list includes all spells of the schools, subschools, and descriptors in the spectrum of the mosaic mage, not limited to wizard spells, cleric spells, bard spells, etc;
Spectrum powers and advanced spectrum powers based on colour, such as a red mage's ability to rage similar to a barbarian.

You certainly could theme a wizard and call it a black mage or white mage or whatever in the same way you could have created a wizard that specialized in debuffing enemies and called it a witch. The mosaic mage, like the witch, takes what could have been a character concept and modifies the options into a class of its own.


Ryan. Costello wrote:
....such as a red mage's ability to rage similar to a barbarian.

See I consider this the most important part of deciding on a class, whether to play or include in a world. It doesn't even need to be all that much information, as you've told me what makes the red mage unique from half a sentence.

Andoran

SilvercatMoonpaw wrote:
Ryan. Costello wrote:
....such as a red mage's ability to rage similar to a barbarian.
See I consider this the most important part of deciding on a class, whether to play or include in a world. It doesn't even need to be all that much information, as you've told me what makes the red mage unique from half a sentence.

Glad I could help. I'll try to post a hint of each colour's flavour later tonight.

Andoran

As promised, some insight into how the spectrum powers make each mosaic mage spectrum unique:

Black: Black mages are secretive and defensive. Black spectrum powers grant concealment, AC bonuses, and abilities that help a mage navigate the shadows.
Blue: Blue mages are fluid and intellihent. Blue spectrum powers grant skill points and adapt to environments.
Red: Red mages are passionate and physical. Red spectrum powers are about fire, blood, and emotion.
White: White mages are death and purity. White spectrum powers generate light, heal, and can be combined to create an angel of death.
Yellow: Yellow mages are enigmatic. Yellow spectrum powers provide a wide variety of abilities that are hard to summarize, but they can use their aura to lasso things like something out of Green Lantern.


Ah, thank you.


On the Pathfinder SRD, where is the section that groups spells by school? I couldn't find it anywhere. I just bought this book and love it but all the work to find the right spells is turning me off.

Paizo Employee Modules Overlord

Barong wrote:
On the Pathfinder SRD, where is the section that groups spells by school? I couldn't find it anywhere. I just bought this book and love it but all the work to find the right spells is turning me off.

We humbly recommend the d20pfsrd.com spell db, found here.


Owen K. C. Stephens wrote:
Barong wrote:
On the Pathfinder SRD, where is the section that groups spells by school? I couldn't find it anywhere. I just bought this book and love it but all the work to find the right spells is turning me off.
We humbly recommend the d20pfsrd.com spell db, found here.

Whoa! Thanks! This is just perfect :).


2 people marked this as a favorite.

"Mosaic Mage Spell List" sounds like a good free product.


I imagine that adding the spell lists might have significantly increased both the size and cost of this product and simply repeated information available in the Core Rules and the PFSRD. While inconvenient, I can see how this would have been a factor in the decision not to include them.

Andoran

SilvercatMoonpaw wrote:
"Mosaic Mage Spell List" sounds like a good free product.

I was compiling a list to do just that but as Owen pointed out, there is a comprehensive tool that does it already. As it is, I was going to limit this to the Core Rulebook. The d20pfsrd.com spell database includes all open spells, and will expand as new spells are released. It is hard to make a free PDF that competes with that.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Companion, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Ryan. Costello wrote:
SilvercatMoonpaw wrote:
"Mosaic Mage Spell List" sounds like a good free product.
I was compiling a list to do just that but as Owen pointed out, there is a comprehensive tool that does it already. As it is, I was going to limit this to the Core Rulebook. The d20pfsrd.com spell database includes all open spells, and will expand as new spells are released. It is hard to make a free PDF that competes with that.

Is there a sidebar that points to that page / site? You could try working out a permalink with John.

Andoran

Cheapy wrote:
Is there a sidebar that points to that page / site? You could try working out a permalink with John.

As of now, no. But it's been added to the to do list.

Also, just want to thank everyone who helped make The Genius Guide to the Mosaic Mage the #2 Top Download from Other Companies this week. I would love to hear about the mosaic mages people have rolled up out there.


Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Companion, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Ryan, check out this link. Might be helpful!

Andoran

Thanks Cheapy!


Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber

I'm not sure I understand why secondary spectrum mages need to designate five of the nine schools and subschools that they can cast from their pair of magical spectra.

The book says:

Quote:
He may prepare and cast any spells drawn from his chosen primary focus of schools and subschools. He may prepare spells from the schools and subschools normally part of his two primary spectrums, but which he did not select as part of his primary focus by using two spells slots.

What's the point of choosing a primary focus if you can prepare all of the spells from each spectrum a secondary mosaic mage chooses?

1 to 50 of 61 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / paizo.com / Product Discussion / The Genius Guide to the Mosaic Mage (PFRPG) PDF All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.