Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Pathfinder Adventure Card Game Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Pathfinder Adventures Pathfinder Campaign Setting Pathfinder Player Companion Pathfinder Accessories Pathfinder Miniatures Pathfinder Fiction Pathfinder® Society™ Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Compatible Products Pathfinder Apparel & Gifts Pathfinder Licensed Products
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

FGG1: Fane of the Fallen (PFRPG)

****½ (based on 2 ratings)
PZOPDFFGGPF101E

Backorder Print/PDF Bundle: $32.99

Add PDF: $15.99

Facebook Twitter Email

All is not as it seems when a large scale orc raid preys upon the city of Brookmere. PCs are sent to parley with the orcs believed to be responsible, and after many exciting battles and investigation, the characters learn of the masterminds behind the attack, a faction of murderous elves bent on the destruction of the kingdom. Can the characters penetrate the foreboding Harwood Forest and defeat the denizens of Castle Novgorod? Or will they succumb to the fallen elves and their depraved succubus goddess?

Fane of the Fallen is an epic adventure of epic proportions, designed to take characters from 13th level to 18th level. Fane of the Fallen introduces the Kingdom of Myrridon, a mini-campaign of grand scale, and the fallen elves, a new race of murderous beings seduced by evil.

  • Uncover the dark secrets of the fallen elves, and confront them and the demonic forces they consort with in dozens of unique and exciting dungeons.
  • Fight 17 new creatures, and discover 14 new magical items making their debut in this adventure.
  • Save the kingdom from evil forces and be hailed as a hero in the songs of bards for ages to come.

Product Availability


Print/PDF Bundle: This product is a backorder. The PDF will be added to your My Downloads Page immediately upon purchase.

PDF: Fulfilled immediately. Will be added to your My Downloads Page immediately upon purchase of PDF.

Are there errors or omissions in this product information? Got corrections? Let us know at webmaster@paizo.com.

FGG10005E


See Also:

Product Discussion (29)
Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules Subscriber

More Frog God, woo!

You had me at "elves framing orcs". Or whatever is really going on. Buyan and downloadan.

Shadow Lodge

Mikaze wrote:

More Frog God, woo!

You had me at "elves framing orcs". Or whatever is really going on. Buyan and downloadan.

They had me at the picture of the witch zooming around in her cauldron.


So, tell us... Is there a Baba Yaga tie in? Would this fit into Irissen?


There is and it could. Though the description of climatic effects might have to be altered a bit.


I made my very first attempt at a review on these message boards. Hopefully you will find this review useful.

Cheliax

Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Dark Sasha wrote:
I made my very first attempt at a review on these message boards. Hopefully you will find this review useful.

Since it's your first time I am sure everyone will be gentle :)

Nice to see you doing reviews.


Thanks DM! But I do not need folks to be gentle, just more reviews by those who have also read this book as they may perhaps spot things I did not see.
I did not, for example, check to see if the stat blocks contained no errors. I don't generally delve into that level of detail unless I am writing up encounters to be run in my game. I have 9 players. I have to redo, add to, beef up every encounter anyway. It is easier to add or correct things then or ignore things I don't need.

Cheliax

Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Dark Sasha wrote:

Thanks DM! But I do not need folks to be gentle, just more reviews by those who have also read this book as they may perhaps spot things I did not see.

I did not, for example, check to see if the stat blocks contained no errors. I don't generally delve into that level of detail unless I am writing up encounters to be run in my game. I have 9 players. I have to redo, add to, beef up every encounter anyway. It is easier to add or correct things then or ignore things I don't need.

It is on my list of things to do in the near future. I am hoping to get a review done in the next couple of weeks.

Andoran

Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

This adventure is excellent, no doubt about it.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

As an owner of a copy, I would advise reconsidering purchasing the adventure without getting at least a glimpse at its contents.

In my opinion there are serious design flaws with the scenario, and while it is quite possible to salvage it, I would recommend making the decision an informed one.

I do not want to spoil anyone's fun here, so I am not going to post a review of my own, however it would be unfair of me to criticize the product without providing at least a few arguments. Oh, and just in case: I am really happy with my Slumbering Tsar subscription.

The spoilers follow:

Spoiler:

1. This is extremely linear adventure. And yet, no thought is given to divination magic... so, once you get access to Divination, Find the Path you can break 2/3rd of the adventure. If you purchase scroll of Discern Location, you can head straight to end game.

2. NPC gear does not match their levels, making already erroneous CR even more erroneous.
Examples: 12th level Fighters with masterwork weapons only, rated at CR12. CR29 caster with no active defenses and single quickened spell. CR17 caster with two +2 shock weapons. CR18 caster with no defenses and not enough hitpoints to survive a single round. And so on.

3. On average, there is at least one serious problem per chapter, and some of the problems clearly indicate that the adventure was meant for characters at least 8 levels lower.
The PC class levels slapped on monsters and humanoids (about 8 on average), on-the-road encounters for parties with access to Wind Walk, Teleport and Scrying... and True Seeing.

Overall, I do not regret purchasing the book. I can easily mine it for ideas... I am not going to let my 13th level players anywhere near it though, as they would pick it apart in a session or two, even though my games feature very little of magic gear.

For challenging high level scenarios, I would recommend instead:
- Witchwar Legacy
- end of Kingmaker adventure path

Regards,
Ruemere

Osirion

Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Maps, Modules, Pawns, Roleplaying Game, Tales Subscriber
ruemere wrote:

As an owner of a copy, I would advise reconsidering purchasing the adventure without getting at least a glimpse at its contents.

In my opinion there are serious design flaws with the scenario, and while it is quite possible to salvage it, I would recommend making the decision an informed one.

I do not want to spoil anyone's fun here, so I am not going to post a review of my own, however it would be unfair of me to criticize the product without providing at least a few arguments. Oh, and just in case: I am really happy with my Slumbering Tsar subscription.

The spoilers follow:** spoiler omitted **

Overall, I do not regret purchasing the book. I can easily mine it for ideas... I am not going to let my 13th level players anywhere near it though, as they would pick it apart in a session or two, even though my games feature very little of magic gear.

For challenging high level scenarios, I would recommend instead:
- Witchwar Legacy
- end of Kingmaker adventure path

Regards,
Ruemere

I completely understand your hesitation about posting a review, but I want to encourage you to do so. If I were a customer of paizo.com who didn't browse all the discussions, I might base my purchasing decision only on the current review. If I did that and felt as you do above, my disappointment would be significant.

Tam


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Thank you for your kind words.

The full review would unfortunately require spoiling the adventure (including picking at stat blocks) and sending negative karma toward Frog God Games (whom I wholeheartedly support for saving legacy books from Necromancers Games, and whose Slumbering Tsar is very, very good).

So, as per the golden rule of "when one cannot say anything positive, it is preferable to remain silent" I would like not to do that. However, if you have specific questions, feel free to post them here.

I have already outlined several serious problems above -- consider them to be representative sample of contents.

Regards,
Ruemere


Thanks for that, ruemere.

That's pretty much the type of information I want to know when looking at high-level adventures.

For the love of pete... don't ever ignore the effect of spells on high-level campaigns!


Reviewed here, on RPGaggression and sent to GMS magazine. Cheers!

Layout and Design, Frog God Games

Endzeitgeist wrote:
Reviewed here, on RPGaggression and sent to GMS magazine. Cheers!

Aigh! You wound me when you mark us off for bookmarks! The PDFs are free and I was so naive! :p


Can the pdf be bookmarked after purchase ? Is it possible to alter it ?


Unlikely, as that could permit changing the content.

Layout and Design, Frog God Games

Yes, you can bookmark it.


I'm thinking about running this soon. Does anyone have any advice for addressing the issues Ruemere brought up?


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Grimmy,

(note: this applies to PFRPG version)
(note 2: my opinion is based on my experiences of running games for 15-level adventurers who ply their job intentionally low magic campaign world... in case of high magic campaigns, issues outlined may become even more pronounced)

The adventure relies on players doing walking and talking with NPCs to get information. If your players tend to Fly/Wind Walk or use Divination magic a lot, you will need to come up with in game reason to limit these.

NPC defenses suck. Mind control specialists are going to have a field day with overabundance of Fighter types with really low Will saves. This goes double for single BBEG spellcasters - no items, no defenses, low hitpoints.

If your players like to test major NPCs (or indeed, like in case of certain druid and certain island sorceress, when the PCs are to have a major showdown), consider adding additional creatures and characters to provide meatshield for the casters. Alternatively, revise NPC builds to include sensible equipment and reasonable defenses. Plucking ready-to-run builds of similar level casters from end-game scenarios provided by Paizo should work.

Many encounters are against of high-level, underequipped (masterwork weapons, no save improving items) groups of fighters. This is either a boring grind or incredibly easy win for control casters. Either scrap such encounters altogether (there are only so many 12-level Fighter infantry patrols in the world) or change them to CR-appropriate creatures (charmed or dominated to serve as patrolmen).

Treasure levels seem to be inappropriate to CR of encounters (too low). While I actually like this, you may want to adjust them to reward your PCs properly.

Regards,
Ruemere


Thanks for the quick reply Ruemere!
I would be running this as a stand-alone. Like a one-off, mini-campaign kind of thing. New characters generated just for this adventure. Maybe I could just restrict some of the problematic spells you mentioned.
My group is used to somewhat gritty play with about 1/2 WBL as the expectation for PC's. They are also used to no "magic-marts" and don't usually have "big 6" type of equipment. They rely mostly on what they find in the field. Maybe the low treasure rewards here will work out ok.


Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Maps, Modules, Pawns, Roleplaying Game, Tales Subscriber

Is the print edition here a Print/PDF bundle?


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Grimmy wrote:

Thanks for the quick reply Ruemere!

I would be running this as a stand-alone. Like a one-off, mini-campaign kind of thing. New characters generated just for this adventure. Maybe I could just restrict some of the problematic spells you mentioned.
My group is used to somewhat gritty play with about 1/2 WBL as the expectation for PC's. They are also used to no "magic-marts" and don't usually have "big 6" type of equipment. They rely mostly on what they find in the field. Maybe the low treasure rewards here will work out ok.

Please share your notes or impressions afterwards.

If you need anything, just drop me a mail at ruemere AT gmail DOT com

Good luck!

Regards,
Ruemere


Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Maps, Modules, Pawns, Roleplaying Game, Tales Subscriber
Brian E. Harris wrote:
Is the print edition here a Print/PDF bundle?

So, no?

Paizo Employee Webstore Gninja Minion

Brian, setting up print/PDF bundles for Frog God products that don't have them is on my to-do list. :D


ruemere wrote:
Grimmy wrote:

Thanks for the quick reply Ruemere!

I would be running this as a stand-alone. Like a one-off, mini-campaign kind of thing. New characters generated just for this adventure. Maybe I could just restrict some of the problematic spells you mentioned.
My group is used to somewhat gritty play with about 1/2 WBL as the expectation for PC's. They are also used to no "magic-marts" and don't usually have "big 6" type of equipment. They rely mostly on what they find in the field. Maybe the low treasure rewards here will work out ok.

Please share your notes or impressions afterwards.

If you need anything, just drop me a mail at ruemere AT gmail DOT com

Good luck!

Regards,
Ruemere

I ended up starting Rappan Athuk instead of this back in September, but I'm thinking of prepping a scaled down version of this and giving them an option of transitioning over to it if they want. The PC's are around levels 6-8 in Rappan Athuk right now. I love RA but this same group got frustrated with Slumbering Tsar and gave up so I'm trying to pay attention to any clues that they might be getting frustrated or bored. I inserted one of the FGG One Night Stands for the last couple of sessions and that went over well so I think it can't hurt to have an option if they get tired of the mega-dungeon.

Looking over Fane of the Fallen I think I can tune it down to about their level by simply removing most of the class-levels from the monsters, and leaving the solo caster boss-fights as is.

Thanks again for the insight, I'll drop you a line if I get stuck.


Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Maps, Modules, Pawns, Roleplaying Game, Tales Subscriber
Liz Courts wrote:
Brian, setting up print/PDF bundles for Frog God products that don't have them is on my to-do list. :D

Hi Liz! Any movement on the to-do list? :D

Cheliax

Brian E. Harris wrote:
Liz Courts wrote:
Brian, setting up print/PDF bundles for Frog God products that don't have them is on my to-do list. :D
Hi Liz! Any movement on the to-do list? :D

I'd love to know the status myself =)


I'm coming back to this now, and it is a great read. I'm hero-lab'ing all the encounters and trying to scale things down a few levels because my group hasn't really done any high level play.

Paizo / Messageboards / paizo.com / Product Discussion / FGG1: Fane of the Fallen (PFRPG) All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

The Wait is Nearly Over,

Friday Publisher Preview: Out Sick,

2014 Cosplay Contest Champions!,

Honor the Hold!,

Armored,


©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.