Pathfinder Player Companion: Faiths of Purity (PFRPG)

****½ (based on 12 ratings)
Pathfinder Player Companion: Faiths of Purity (PFRPG)
Show Description For:
Non-Mint

Add Print Editon $10.99

Add PDF $7.99

Add Non-Mint $10.99 $8.24

Facebook Twitter Email

True heroes know that evil is not an abstraction, nor a concept to be debated. Rather, it is a relentless adversary, a dark tide that seeks always to roll over the world, turning the hearts of gentle souls with its claws and whispers. Against this onslaught stand a proud and pious few: those priests and soldiers who dedicate themselves in body and soul to the forces of light, ready to lay down their lives in defense of the innocent. Aided by the powers of their gods, these stalwart champions use sword and spell, faith and ferocity to protect all that they hold dear. For they know that if they do not—who will?

Faiths of Purity presents a player-friendly overview of the good-aligned religions of the Pathfinder campaign setting, along with new rules and information to help players customize pious characters in both flavor and mechanics.

    Inside this book, you'll find:
  • Information on each of the major good-aligned gods and his or her corresponding religion, including what's expected of adventurers of various classes, ways for the faithful to identify each other, taboos, devotions and ceremonies, church hierarchies, holy texts, religious holidays, and more
  • New traits to help represent and cement a character's background in the church
  • New feats and combat tricks for all holy warriors
  • New god-specific spells for a wide variety of spellcasting classes
  • Paladin codes for sacred warriors of each major god, as well as new organizations and knightly orders
  • Details on good-aligned minor deities, racial gods, empyreal lords, and more!
    Faiths of Purity includes key information on:
  • Cayden Cailean, god of freedom, ale, wine and bravery
  • Desna, goddess of dreams, stars, travelers and luck
  • Erastil, god of farming, hunting, trade and family
  • Iomedae, goddess of valor, rulership, justice and honor
  • Sarenrae, goddess of the sun, redemption, honesty and healing
  • Shelyn, goddess of beauty, art, love and music
  • Torag, god of the forge, protection and strategy

Written by Colin McComb

Each bimonthly 32-page Pathfinder Companion contains several player-focused articles exploring the volume’s theme as well as short articles with innovative new rules for social, magic, religious, and combat-focused characters, as well as traits to better anchor the player to the campaign.

ISBN-13: 978-1-60125-314-9

Note: This product is part of the Pathfinder Player Companion Subscription.

Product Availability

Print Editon: Ships from our warehouse in 1 to 7 business days.

PDF: Will be added to your My Downloads Page immediately upon purchase of PDF.

Non-Mint: Ships from our warehouse in 1 to 7 business days. This product is non-mint. Refunds are not available for non-mint products. The standard version of this product can be found here.

Are there errors or omissions in this product information? Got corrections? Let us know at store@paizo.com.

PZO9416


See Also:

1 to 5 of 12 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | next > last >>

Average product rating:

****½ (based on 12 ratings)

Sign in to create or edit a product review.

Excellent Introduction to the "Good" Gods of Golarion

*****

Faiths of Purity is a well-conceived entry in the Pathfinder Player Companion line, with a stated premise to showcase the "good" gods to adventurers and laypeople of all stripes, not just clerics and paladins. I really like the idea, as religion can and should be part of a campaign setting that affects far more than just a couple of PC classes. Starting off with what you have to admit is a pretty awesome cover (repeated as the inside back cover), the inside front cover summarizes (including portfolios, alignment, domains, favored weapons, centers of worship, and nationality) the seven good-aligned "core" faiths in the Pathfinder setting: Desna, Iomedae, Shelyn, Cayden Cailean, Erastil, Sarenrae, and Torag.

After a brief introduction that summarizes the theme well, the bulk of the bulk is devoted to two-page entries on each of these seven faiths. Each entry is divided into a one-paragraph summary of the god and then one to two paragraph long sections titled "Adventurers" (what adventurers who worship the god tend to be like), "Classes" (how different classes do or do not tend to fit in with the faith), "Goals" (what a worshipper of the god wants), "Identifiers" (clothing, symbols, or other markers commonly associated with the faith), "Devotion" (how lay worshippers act and demonstrate their allegiance), "Other Faiths" (how worshippers see and are seen by those of other faiths), "Taboos" (what worshippers *won't* do); "Traits" (two different Religion traits, most of which are bland and unimpressive), and finally, "The Church" (the longest section, with an overview of holy sites, church rules, holy texts, symbols, etc.).

The important thing to remember about these entries is that they explain things from the view of what everyday worshippers (and most PCs) would know. These entries are not "high-level" church theory or geopolitical roles, but are instead insights into how worshippers behave and see the world. They're thus perfect for players wanting to run a worshipper of one of these gods, and far more useful than material in most other books or on a Wiki. I'd strongly suggest passing this book around during character creation if someone is interested in the "good" gods of Golarion. Before moving on, I should also call out the artwork, which is really good!

The next section of the book is "Minor Deities" (4 pages). This is a bit of a hodgepodge section, with "lesser gods of goodness" like Apsu the Waybringer, Kurgess the Strong Man, and Milani the Everbloom receiving a few paragraphs of description and one trait each. Next, there are a few paragraphs (and a trait) devoted to each of the racial pantheons: Dwarven, Elven, Gnome, and Halfling. These sections were odd, in that it's not just the good deities from each of these pantheons that are covered (thus confusing the theme of the book), and there's far too little space to do each pantheon justice. The traits for gnomes and halflings aren't bad though. Last, there's just over a page on the Empyreal Lords (sort of demigods), with about a paragraph each on Andoletta, Ragathiel, Arshea, Korada, Valani, and Sinashakti. There's a single "catch-all" trait for worshippers of any Empyreal Lord. Again, there's just not enough room to make the coverage of these faiths satisfactory, and I wonder if it would have been better to save it for a separate book later on.

"Organizations" (2 pages) provides an introduction to organized groups that are outside of a faith's official clergy. Coverage includes the Banner of the Stag (Erastil), Deepdelvers (Torag), Glory of the Risen Rose (Shelyn), The Halo of Blades (Sarenrae), Knights of Ozem (Iomedae), Starstone Brewers (Cayden Cailean), and The Whispered Song (Desna). Two of the organizations really stuck out to me as fantastic. First, the Glory of the Risen Rose is all about spreading beauty and artwork, and one can imagine so many original adventures that could stem from it. Second, the Starstone Brewers are all about helping the orphans that are inevitably left near battlefields, the sites of natural disasters, etc. Entire campaigns could be themed around either of these two organizations, and offer something very different to the norm.

"Combat: Righteous Warfare" (2 pages) introduces one or two new feats for each of the major faiths covered in the book. I have to commend the writers for coming up with feats that are tied, flavour-wise to the corresponding faith. Substance-wise, the feats are hit or miss, with some potentially really useful (Desna's Butterfly's Sting or Erastil's Bullseye Shot, for example) and others so underwhelming as to be forgettable (Torag's Stone Read and Undermining Exploit). There is a drawing of a classic "bikini armor" woman on page 26 that is regrettable.

I really liked "Faith: Paladin Codes" (2 pages), which offers customized Paladin codes for several faiths that supplement what's in the Core Rulebook. These new codes really help to distinguish Paladins from one another, and are well-tailored to emphasize the particular themes of different deities. Erastil's code contains several elements relating to community and tradition, for example, while Shelyn's code incorporates concepts of beauty and love.

"Magic: Spells of the Faithful" (2 pages) introduces at least one new divine spell for worshippers of each of the major faiths in the book. Overall, I found them flavourful but rather weak in a mechanical sense. They're also all very low-level spells, an area in which clerics, paladins, and druids aren't exactly hurting for choices.

Finally, there's "Social: Religious Holidays" (2 pages). This is the sort of thing that's really important for adding depth to a campaign setting, even if most players will overlook it (because the odds of a day "in game" falling on one of these holidays is slim).

Overall, this book is exactly what a Player Companion should be. It provides a clear, readable, and interesting introduction to an important element of the campaign setting, it gives useful advice on how to portray and interact with that element, and it introduces some "crunch" options that aren't unbalancing. Apart from the "too fast to be good" problem in relation to racial pantheons and Empyreal Lords, Faiths of Purity is a winner.


A source of ideas not rules

*****

I found this player companion rather inspiring, in that it help me think about how faith in a campaign setting can guide player character behavior. I enjoyed the art, and the way the prose was written. I really did not need more charts and tables.


*****

I have reviewed this book over on RPGGeek.com.


5 stars to each page

*****

If I could give 5 stars to each page of this book I would. Paizo did good in choosing the illustrious Colin McComb as author. Colin not only wrote some of my favorite Planescape books (Including the fabled rarity - Hellbound: the Blood War), he wrote my favorite rpg book of all time, The Complete Book of Elves.

Colin did not dissatisfy as this book is amazing to read, useful for players and DMS, and beautiful. It is the first piece of a 3 book series I am guaranteed to value in my collection for years to come.

I enjoyed reading the flavor for each faith, giving me the inspiration to run clerics the way they are meant to be, as members of a greater organization. It also gave me the ability to incorporate faith into my non-clergy characters. The idea of a barbarian saluting Cayden Cailean with a drink before a battle with slavers was totally inspired by this tome.

The concept of a greater body behind each cleric is not lost on me; I am inspired by this book to add this kind of flavor every time faith is represented in my games. This book breaks it down by perspective of adventurers, classes, goals, identifiers, devotion, other faiths, taboos, traits and the church itself. I can look in this book (and the other 2 that are yet to come) when creating clerics, deities, and churches.

I haven't even scraped the surface of what this little 31 page book gives as there are minor deities including nonhuman racial deities, and Empyreal Lords (Which I have been looking for content on), more organizations (because I never want paizo to stop giving us factions), and religious holidays (the calendar plays a huge part in my game, I really needed this).

This books isn't all flavor as it gives combat feats, traits (under each faith), and spells. I bought this book for the flavor and yet I still got some crunch I can apply to my religious characters. The feats aren't exclusive to faiths so we there are a few options for everyone.

Buy this book if you are interested in role playing your characters with more depth, running your campaigns with more religion, and interested in learning more about Golarion. I truly enjoy this book and consider it one of the most valuable that I have; it truly speaks to how I play and gm.


Great resource!

****( )

Bottom line - I love this book. It's a great idea for a product line and players and GMs both can benefit from the expanded information.

Check out my full review here.


1 to 5 of 12 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | next > last >>
1 to 50 of 189 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | next > last >>
Dark Archive

I am looking forward to these books that flesh out the faiths.

Liberty's Edge RPG Superstar 2008 Top 32, 2011 Top 16

Sounds good and very player friendly. I do wonder though what kind of overlap (or lack thereof) this will have with the SKR writeups in the APs.

Liberty's Edge

I'm actually wondering if this might even be those articles collected into one volume with additional added goodness to round things out!


Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Modules, Tales Subscriber
Marc Radle wrote:
I'm actually wondering if this might even be those articles collected into one volume with additional added goodness to round things out!

I hope you're correct, as that would be a very smart move IMO. New players don't want to hunt down old issues of PF to get those individual articles, and even those of us who own them all would like to have them collected. Add new material and it's win win win.

But I could be wrong on the intent here.

Dark Archive

Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Companion, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Those articles are the GM's perspective on the gods, I suspect. This is a Player Companion, so it'll be the player-focused material.

Wouldn't surprise me at all to see a 256 page hardback compilation of the articles after they get all 20 of them published, though.


I for one will be very disappointed if they are just a rehash of stuff I already have...these are going to be make or break books for me on this subscription


DM Wellard wrote:
I for one will be very disappointed if they are just a rehash of stuff I already have...these are going to be make or break books for me on this subscription

+1. If that books only compilate the gods articles I don't need it, I have my APs. It seem to me that the next year will be the Reloaded Year (Reloaded Campaign Setting, Reloaded Gods, Reloaded Gazetteer...)

Paizo Employee Chief Creative Officer, Publisher

This will have plenty of new stuff in it.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Maps, Roleplaying Game, Tales Subscriber

Would love to maybe see some codes of conduct for Paladins based on the various religions.

Liberty's Edge

DM Wellard wrote:
I for one will be very disappointed if they are just a rehash of stuff I already have...these are going to be make or break books for me on this subscription

Completely understood. One thing to keep in mind though is that there are a pretty large number of Pathfinder fans that PLAY in these APs but do not DM them, so we don't HAVE these AP issues! So unless we buy all the APs issues with the deity write ups and then resist the urge to open them until after we play the AP or something like that, many of us never SEE these great write ups!

It's a difficult line for Paizo to walk, I'm sure. That's why I'm kind of thinking (hoping?) that this might collect the various AP write ups (for those of us that have never seen them before) AND THEN add a bunch of cool NEW stuff to them so that DMs and those others that have the APs will still find value in them.

Just a thought!

Contributor

Kvantum wrote:

Those articles are the GM's perspective on the gods, I suspect. This is a Player Companion, so it'll be the player-focused material.

Wouldn't surprise me at all to see a 256 page hardback compilation of the articles after they get all 20 of them published, though.

Correct. This book is "What does this belonging to religion do for my character, even if I'm not a divine spellcaster?" rather than "here's the outlook of the deity, its church, and its relation to other deities."

Think of it more as a "here's why your character should join this church!" rather than "thousands of years ago, this god blah blah blah."

Paladin codes for specific deities is a good thing to talk about in this book! :)

This is not a rehash of Gods and Magic and the AP articles. While it'll draw on the same material, the focus is different. I've explicitly told the author that he's not to regurgitate the text from the other sources. You'll see the inspiration there--the section on Cayden Cailean will mention he was an orphan, but it'll talk about how being an orphan of the church affects your character background and outlook, your attitude toward the church, and so on.

Liberty's Edge

Sean K Reynolds wrote:
This book is "What does this belonging to religion do for my character, even if I'm not a divine spellcaster?"

I think is a good idea, often overlooked in most RPGs -- why should a character who isn't a cleric/paladin 'have' a god. I thought Book of the Faithful -- Power of Prayer from Jon Brazer Enterprises was a good start, but I still feel there is much room here to explore.

Liberty's Edge

I'm mostly not that keen on the length. I understand that the player's companion books are 32 pages, but it seems kind of a disservice to the topic. Given the typical 2 pages each for "Combat" "Faith" "Magic" and "Social", that leaves 3 pages per deity. At that length, I can't help but feel it'll only be a glossing over of each faith and just going over the basics of the faith (the rehash part) will be at least a page of each entry. Any chance of maybe dropping the other chapters, so that there is at least 4 pages per faith?


will this book have new artwork of the deities or will it recycle old ones

Contributor

Robert Little wrote:
I'm mostly not that keen on the length. I understand that the player's companion books are 32 pages, but it seems kind of a disservice to the topic. Given the typical 2 pages each for "Combat" "Faith" "Magic" and "Social", that leaves 3 pages per deity. At that length, I can't help but feel it'll only be a glossing over of each faith and just going over the basics of the faith (the rehash part) will be at least a page of each entry. Any chance of maybe dropping the other chapters, so that there is at least 4 pages per faith?

Well, the options were:

All the deities in one book: about one page each for the main 20 deities.
All the good deities in one book: about two pages for each deity, plus supplemental material that crosses over multiple deities.
One deities per book: tons of room, but it would take us over 3 years to publish just the main 20 deities, so that's not acceptable.

The middle path is the best compromise.

Players already have access to the general god info in the campaign setting, plus whatever the GM lets them see from the AP articles and Gods and Magic. Given that the AP articles usually have only one page worth of material on the role of priests in the church, adding 2 pages of new PC-oriented content about each deity is a huge amount of additional info.

As for the artwork, other than showing the deity symbols, I don't see the point in illustrating the deities in this book. Showing a typical adventurer follower of the deity is much more useful, and as we have very few illos like that so far (the ones in the AP articles are mainly of priests), odds are we'll be seeing plenty of new art in this book.

Sovereign Court

Call me when Rovagug gets his due.

Dark Archive

Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Companion, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
cappadocius wrote:
Call me when Rovagug gets his due.

Unfortunately, I doubt there will ever be a "Faiths of Corruption" or whatever the appropriate title would be for an evil gods Companion, because these are Player Companions, after all. Evil PCs are (AFAIK) one of those niche areas like Epic levels or Psionics that don't appeal to the majority of gamers, and so it would probably be a poor seller, and thus a bad idea for the company.

Even if it would be really cool to see. Maybe if we get a Pathfinder equivalent to Book of Vile Darkness as a GM-focused book, but not as a Player Companion.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

cappadocius wrote:
Call me when Rovagug gets his due.

Beyond Gods and Magic, the Legacy of Fire Adventure Path, or the big articles we did about him and his spawn?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Kvantum wrote:
cappadocius wrote:
Call me when Rovagug gets his due.

Unfortunately, I doubt there will ever be a "Faiths of Corruption" or whatever the appropriate title would be for an evil gods Companion, because these are Player Companions, after all. Evil PCs are (AFAIK) one of those niche areas like Epic levels or Psionics that don't appeal to the majority of gamers, and so it would probably be a poor seller, and thus a bad idea for the company.

Even if it would be really cool to see. Maybe if we get a Pathfinder equivalent to Book of Vile Darkness as a GM-focused book, but not as a Player Companion.

As it turns out, most of us here at Paizo think it'd be really cool to see a "Faiths of Corruption" book as well.

Some folks like playing evil PCs. I'd like to periodically support that play style. Unlike epic rules or psionics, the rules for playing evil characters already exist. There's no actual barrier to play characters like this, apart from the psychological, so it's not like we'd be producing a book that only a subset of the customer base would be able to understand.

And I suspect that a "Faiths of Corruption" type book would NOT be a poor seller, because folks love the evil, and more to the point, this would be one "Player's Companion" that GMs would, I suspect, pickup in DROVES if only for use with NPCs.


I will be getting this.


Lyingbastard wrote:
I will be getting this.

does anyone else thinks its funny that someone named "Lyingbastard" wants this book?

Sovereign Court

James Jacobs wrote:
cappadocius wrote:
Call me when Rovagug gets his due.
Beyond Gods and Magic, the Legacy of Fire Adventure Path, or the big articles we did about him and his spawn?

Sarenrae has all the same materials, and SHE'S in THIS!

Sovereign Court

Kvantum wrote:
Evil PCs are (AFAIK) one of those niche areas

I hardly ever play evil PCs.

Seebo Murnig, my well-beloved gnomish Cleric of Rovagug is Chaotic Neutral, thanks. And the most polite proselytite of utter annihilation you'll ever meet.

Dark Archive

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Roleplaying Game Subscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber
James Jacobs wrote:
Kvantum wrote:
cappadocius wrote:
Call me when Rovagug gets his due.

Unfortunately, I doubt there will ever be a "Faiths of Corruption" or whatever the appropriate title would be for an evil gods Companion, because these are Player Companions, after all. Evil PCs are (AFAIK) one of those niche areas like Epic levels or Psionics that don't appeal to the majority of gamers, and so it would probably be a poor seller, and thus a bad idea for the company.

Even if it would be really cool to see. Maybe if we get a Pathfinder equivalent to Book of Vile Darkness as a GM-focused book, but not as a Player Companion.

As it turns out, most of us here at Paizo think it'd be really cool to see a "Faiths of Corruption" book as well.

Some folks like playing evil PCs. I'd like to periodically support that play style. Unlike epic rules or psionics, the rules for playing evil characters already exist. There's no actual barrier to play characters like this, apart from the psychological, so it's not like we'd be producing a book that only a subset of the customer base would be able to understand.

And I suspect that a "Faiths of Corruption" type book would NOT be a poor seller, because folks love the evil, and more to the point, this would be one "Player's Companion" that GMs would, I suspect, pickup in DROVES if only for use with NPCs.

Also, it's quite possible to worship an Evil God, without being Evil (at the very least as the neutral version of whatever alignment the god is, so LN for Asmodeus etc... I don't want to summon seekerofshadowlight!)

Dark Archive

Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Companion, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
James Jacobs wrote:

As it turns out, most of us here at Paizo think it'd be really cool to see a "Faiths of Corruption" book as well.

Some folks like playing evil PCs. I'd like to periodically support that play style. Unlike epic rules or psionics, the rules for playing evil characters already exist. There's no actual barrier to play characters like this, apart from the psychological, so it's not like we'd be producing a book that only a subset of the customer base would be able to understand.

And I suspect that a "Faiths of Corruption" type book would NOT be a poor seller, because folks love the evil, and more to the point, this would be one "Player's Companion" that GMs would, I suspect, pickup in DROVES if only for use with NPCs.

Well, then color me quite pleasantly surprised and very happy I have a Companions subscription! :)

Dark Archive

Hey, what about Most Holy Asmodeus? Shouldn't He -- the most powerful and pure of all the deities of Golarion -- be in this book?

I'm shocked, mr. Jacobs, that you have the nerve to exclude Asmodeus from this tome... surely you do not want to face His righteous wrath?

Dark Archive

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Roleplaying Game Subscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber
Asgetrion wrote:

Hey, what about Most Holy Asmodeus? Shouldn't He -- the most powerful and pure of all the deities of Golarion -- be in this book?

I'm shocked, mr. Jacobs, that you have the nerve to exclude Asmodeus from this tome... surely you do not want to face His righteous wrath?

Asmodeus share a book with other, lesser deities?


this book is a very good idea. Dont forget we are playing a roleplaying game. And helping a player to act and play his role by giving him practical infos about the gods rituals is urgently needed.

One of the things I would like to see in this book are artwork examples for typical tempel, color schemes and religious motives of certain gods. Also behavioural patterns of priests the PCs could met in these temples should be described. (not all should be the archetypical christian style "wise father". Eg. if you go into one of the fortress-temples of gorum with a full load of weapons, it could be a duel challenge for some hot headed war priests)

The same treatment for evil gods would be great too, of course. :)

Dark Archive

Enlight_Bystand wrote:
Asgetrion wrote:

Hey, what about Most Holy Asmodeus? Shouldn't He -- the most powerful and pure of all the deities of Golarion -- be in this book?

I'm shocked, mr. Jacobs, that you have the nerve to exclude Asmodeus from this tome... surely you do not want to face His righteous wrath?

Asmodeus share a book with other, lesser deities?

That is... that is... BLASPHEMY! How could a Chelaxian citizen such as yourself imply that our Most Blessed and Pure Lord Asmodeus would not belong in this book? I have already informed the Inquisition, and I'm sure a visit by the good Knights of the Order of the Rack shall er, banish such heretical thoughts from your mind!


Ivalerted the hellknights of the pike....

oh wait I have a cheliaxian character in my head, that character doesnt kiss the unholy arse of big A, come to think of neither do the two tieflings from there...

come on Iomedae

come on dawnflower.....

Dark Archive

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Roleplaying Game Subscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber
Asgetrion wrote:
Enlight_Bystand wrote:
Asgetrion wrote:

Hey, what about Most Holy Asmodeus? Shouldn't He -- the most powerful and pure of all the deities of Golarion -- be in this book?

I'm shocked, mr. Jacobs, that you have the nerve to exclude Asmodeus from this tome... surely you do not want to face His righteous wrath?

Asmodeus share a book with other, lesser deities?
That is... that is... BLASPHEMY! How could a Chelaxian citizen such as yourself imply that our Most Blessed and Pure Lord Asmodeus would not belong in this book? I have already informed the Inquisition, and I'm sure a visit by the good Knights of the Order of the Rack shall er, banish such heretical thoughts from your mind!

You misunderstand me, my fellow. Of course our Lord deserves to be in this book, but if he were to be included, these other pathetic beings would have to be moved out of the book to allow for his majesty. Better to wait until the last book in this series - Faiths of Power perhaps? of Majesty?

Dark Archive

Enlight_Bystand wrote:
Asgetrion wrote:
Enlight_Bystand wrote:
Asgetrion wrote:

Hey, what about Most Holy Asmodeus? Shouldn't He -- the most powerful and pure of all the deities of Golarion -- be in this book?

I'm shocked, mr. Jacobs, that you have the nerve to exclude Asmodeus from this tome... surely you do not want to face His righteous wrath?

Asmodeus share a book with other, lesser deities?
That is... that is... BLASPHEMY! How could a Chelaxian citizen such as yourself imply that our Most Blessed and Pure Lord Asmodeus would not belong in this book? I have already informed the Inquisition, and I'm sure a visit by the good Knights of the Order of the Rack shall er, banish such heretical thoughts from your mind!
You misunderstand me, my fellow. Of course our Lord deserves to be in this book, but if he were to be included, these other pathetic beings would have to be moved out of the book to allow for his majesty. Better to wait until the last book in this series - Faiths of Power perhaps? of Majesty?

Hmmm... 'Faiths of Majesty'... I like that! Perhaps I was a bit hasty in judging you so quickly. I shall inform the Inquisition that they need not get involved in this; however, in the future, please refrain from calling an Infernal Librarian a "fellow"; such a word implies disrespect, which I am fairly sure you do not intend to do, right?

;)


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
MerrikCale wrote:
Lyingbastard wrote:
I will be getting this.
does anyone else thinks its funny that someone named "Lyingbastard" wants this book?

Well, Lyingbastard SAID that they wanted the book, but you can't really tell for sure that they actually do want it...

Grand Lodge

James Jacobs wrote:
And I suspect that a "Faiths of Corruption" type book would NOT be a poor seller, because folks love the evil, and more to the point, this would be one "Player's Companion" that GMs would, I suspect, pickup in DROVES if only for use with NPCs.

+1

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Maybe we'll finally see Oracle Mysteries for Love, Beauty, etc.

(Way too late for my PFS character though).


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
sieylianna wrote:

Maybe we'll finally see Oracle Mysteries for Love, Beauty, etc.

(Way too late for my PFS character though).

I hadn't even thought of that yet, bu they could easily put more Mysteries in the Faith books and Factions for that matter.

Dark Archive

Shinmizu wrote:
MerrikCale wrote:
Lyingbastard wrote:
I will be getting this.
does anyone else thinks its funny that someone named "Lyingbastard" wants this book?
Well, Lyingbastard SAID that they wanted the book, but you can't really tell for sure that they actually do want it...

Well you do need to learn how the other side thinks.

Contributor

This seems like a good place to ask: Does anyone know of any good-religion based organizations such as Desna's Whispering Song? Sean is trying to compile a list, probably so he can hunt them down and exterminate them.


I'm really looking forward to this, it'll help me and the players I GM for out a lot.

Dark Archive

Will there be some options to customize clerics of these faiths?

I'd love it if the Domains had some optional abilities (bear in mind, I haven't seen the APG sub-domains concept yet), so that multiple clerics with the same Domain might have different Domain powers.

For example;

Good 1 (replaces Touch of Good)
Kind Word (Sp): As a standard action, you can speak an inspiring word to a creature within 30 feet. That creature receives a +2 morale bonus on attack rolls, skill checks, ability checks, and saving throws for a number of rounds equal to 1/2 your cleric level (minimum 1). You can use this power a number of times per day equal to 3 + your Wisdom modifier.

Good 1 (replaces Touch of Good)
Virtue’s Reward (Su): Whenever you successfully save against a mind-effecting affect, you can choose one of two free actions; either to draw resolve from your victory, and gain the benefits of a bless spell for a number of minutes equal to your Wisdom modifier, or to share your moral fortitude with others, allowing all allies within 30 ft. another saving throw to break free of the mind-affecting effect you have resisted. You can use this ability a number of times per day equal to 3 + your Wisdom modifier.

Good 1 (replaces Touch of Good])
Purity’s Banquet (Su): Whenever you successful save against an instance of poison or disease, you can choose to grant all similarly-afflicted allies within 30 ft. another immediate saving throw to shake off that same poison or disease. Your allies gain a bonus to this saving throw equal to your Wisdom modifier. You can use this ability a number of times per day equal to 3 + your Wisdom modifier.

Good 1 (replaces Touch of Good)
Act of Mercy (Su): If one of your attacks would ever reduce a living creature to negative hit points, you can choose as a free action to negate any damage that would reduce the creature below zero hit points. The creature affected is infused with a portion of your own goodness during this process, and any creature that does not possess the Evil subtype or more Hit Dice than you have Cleric levels will find itself less inclined to act against you in the future, suffering a -2 morale penalty to attack rolls, skill checks or ability checks against you, and a -2 morale penalty to saving throws or opposed skill checks against you. These benefits vanish immediately if you ever strike the creature again for lethal damage or take some other action that betrays the fragile trust your act of mercy has inspired (GM adjudication may be required). You can use this ability a number of times per day equal to 3 + your Wisdom modifier.

The Good Domain is obviously super-easy to come up with such ideas for, as one can just do what I did and pop open a web-page on the Seven Virtues and riff on that, but tons of Domains have equal potential to be made more versatile.

Dark Archive

Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Companion, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Set wrote:

Will there be some options to customize clerics of these faiths?

I'd love it if the Domains had some optional abilities (bear in mind, I haven't seen the APG sub-domains concept yet), so that multiple clerics with the same Domain might have different Domain powers.

For example;

That's exactly what the APG subdomains are like. Swap out a domain power and a few of the domain spells to slightly change the flavor of the domains.

Dark Archive

Kvantum wrote:
Set wrote:

Will there be some options to customize clerics of these faiths?

I'd love it if the Domains had some optional abilities
That's exactly what the APG subdomains are like. Swap out a domain power and a few of the domain spells to slightly change the flavor of the domains.

Cool. I proposed that sort of thing back in Beta, for Sorcerer Bloodlines, Cleric Domains and Wizard School powers, and it was pooh-poohed (pick another Domain/Bloodline/School if you don't like the options presented, was the rebuttal), so it's nice to see that the train has come around to that station again.

I am again excited to see the APG, since the reviews of Archetypes was all-or-nothing and not at all 'a la carte.' Sub-Domains sounds very cool!

Dark Archive

Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Companion, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Set wrote:
I am again excited to see the APG, since the reviews of Archetypes was all-or-nothing and not at all 'a la carte.' Sub-Domains sounds very cool!

Well, there aren't any Cleric archetypes at all in the APG. Nor Sorcerer or Wizard archetypes, either. New bloodlines, the Elemental schools, and then Sub-Schools like the Sub-Domains, but no archetypes for any of the major spellcasting classes, except Druid, and those are just for the terrain types, not any type of differing class foci.

Sovereign Court

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber
sieylianna wrote:

Maybe we'll finally see Oracle Mysteries for Love, Beauty, etc.

(Way too late for my PFS character though).

I would second that. A range of oracle mysteries would be great and, in the lives of ordinary folk, the mysteries of love are more pertinent and more welcome than the mysteries of battle.

Wouldn't mind some more curses too.

Contributor

I can tell you that there aren't any new mysteries or revelations in Faiths of Purity, that's not the purpose of the book (and creating new mysteries and revelations that would be appropriate for multiple deities is really something that belongs in a core book, not a campaign-specific book).

Contributor

Okay, Colin just sent me his writeup of the paladin codes for this book (written in first-person perspective, mind you), and all I can say is....

Wow.

Wow wow wow.

These.
Are.
Awesome.

Dark Archive

Sean K Reynolds wrote:

Okay, Colin just sent me his writeup of the paladin codes for this book (written in first-person perspective, mind you), and all I can say is....

Wow.

Wow wow wow.

These.
Are.
Awesome.

Tease ^_^

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Did he write up a code for a Paladin of Asmodeus as well ? /ducks

Sovereign Court

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber
Gorbacz wrote:
Did he write up a code for a Paladin of Asmodeus as well ? /ducks

Apparently they replaced the sections between chapters in the new CS (they were going to have the neat art+fiction like the rulebooks). Each one now says, in huge block capitals: "THERE ARE NO PALADINS OF ASMODEUS."

Dark Archive

TerrorTigr wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
And I suspect that a "Faiths of Corruption" type book would NOT be a poor seller, because folks love the evil, and more to the point, this would be one "Player's Companion" that GMs would, I suspect, pickup in DROVES if only for use with NPCs.
+1

Hell yeah -- I absolutely LOVE all things Evil!

1 to 50 of 189 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Paizo / Product Discussion / Pathfinder Player Companion: Faiths of Purity (PFRPG) All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.