Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Pathfinder Adventure Card Game Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Pathfinder Adventures Pathfinder Campaign Setting Pathfinder Player Companion Pathfinder Accessories Pathfinder Miniatures Pathfinder Fiction Pathfinder® Society™ Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Compatible Products Pathfinder Apparel & Gifts Pathfinder Licensed Products
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

Pathfinder Tales: Plague of Shadows

****½ (based on 24 ratings)
Pathfinder Tales: Plague of Shadows
Show Description For:
Non-Mint

Add Print Edition: $9.99

Add PDF/ePub: $6.99 $4.89

Non-Mint: $9.99

Facebook Twitter Email

by Howard Andrew Jones

The race is on to free Lord Stelan from the grip of a wasting curse, and only Elyana, his old elven adventuring companion and former lover, has the wisdom and reflexes to save him. When the villain turns out to be another of their former companions, Elyana and a band of ragtag adventurers must set out on a perilous race across the revolution-wracked nation of Galt and the treacherous Five Kings Mountains, bound for the mysterious Vale of Shadows. But even if they can succeed in locating the key to Stelan’s salvation in a lost valley of weird magic and nightmare beasts, the danger isn't over. For Elyana's companions may not all be what they seem.

From sword and sorcery icon Howard Andrew Jones comes a fantastic new adventure set in the award-winning world of the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game.

384-page mass market paperback

ISBN–13: 978-1-60125-291-3

Download a free sample chapter by clicking here! (56KB zip/PDF)

Plague of Shadows is sanctioned for use in Pathfinder Society Organized Play. Its Chronicle Sheet and additional are a free download (229 KB zip/PDF).

Note: This product is part of the Pathfinder Tales Subscription.

Product Availability


Print Edition: Ships from our warehouse in 2 to 14 business days.

PDF/ePub: Fulfilled immediately. Will be added to your My Downloads Page immediately upon purchase of PDF/ePub.

Non-Mint: This product is non-mint. Refunds are not available for non-mint products. The standard version of this product can be found here.

Are there errors or omissions in this product information? Got corrections? Let us know at webmaster@paizo.com.

PZO8503


See Also:



Product Discussion (137)
1 to 50 of 137 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | next > last >>
Cheliax

Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

I think there is a error in the description.

Elyana has the wisdom—and swordcraft—to solve the mystery of his tormentor and free her old friend before three days have passed and the illness takes its course.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules Subscriber
Dark_Mistress wrote:

I think there is a error in the description.

Elyana has the wisdom—and swordcraft—to solve the mystery of his tormentor and free her old friend before three days have passed and the illness takes its course.

Hey, Paizo might be venturing into brave new territory with their first intersexed hero.

Osirion

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

I've never heard of the author before. What do others think of him?

Cheliax Contributor

I've seen that cover up close. It is beautiful.

Qadira

Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Dark_Mistress wrote:

I think there is a error in the description.

Elyana has the wisdom—and swordcraft—to solve the mystery of his tormentor and free her old friend before three days have passed and the illness takes its course.

Actually I believe his would refer to Lord Stelan and her refers to Elyana. Just a guess though.

Graywulfe

Paizo Employee Chief Technical Officer

graywulfe wrote:
Dark_Mistress wrote:

I think there is a error in the description.

Elyana has the wisdom—and swordcraft—to solve the mystery of his tormentor and free her old friend before three days have passed and the illness takes its course.

Actually I believe his would refer to Lord Stelan and her refers to Elyana. Just a guess though.

Graywulfe

Ya, you betcha.


Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Companion, Maps, Modules, Roleplaying Game, Tales Subscriber
Dave Gross wrote:
I've seen that cover up close. It is beautiful.

That cover IS awesome, Is it a mock up? If so where is it from? and who was the artist?

Cheers

Blackcat

Paizo Employee Managing Editor

blackcat wrote:
Dave Gross wrote:
I've seen that cover up close. It is beautiful.

That cover IS awesome, Is it a mock up? If so where is it from? and who was the artist?

Cheers

Blackcat

Darren Bader. And it's the final art, though maybe not the final cover design--Sarah might still be playing with it.

Andoran

Dark_Mistress wrote:

I think there is a error in the description.

Elyana has the wisdom—and swordcraft—to solve the mystery of his tormentor and free her old friend before three days have passed and the illness takes its course.

His = Lord Stelan

Her = Elyana

Paizo Employee Chief Technical Officer

I've updated the product image and description to match the finished product.

Cheliax

Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Pretty cool new cover.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

With only a couple chapters left in Winter Witch, looking forward to this one!!

Thanks Paizo for bringing to life the novels for Pathfinder, almost like I was back in High School reading Dragonlance novels & occasionally Forgotten Realms ones.

Again, thanks!
RM


Sweet! A Umbral Dragon yes?

If so, I sure as hell hope they pick up a cleric along the way. ^_~


Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path, Roleplaying Game, Tales Subscriber

holy cow... just finished the book. This was a really good story of the folorn.

*files under tragedy/adventure*


Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber

I got a copy of Prince of Wolves along with my shipment of this... Intentional? I don't see a charge on My Account -- did anyone else have this happen to them?

Edit: NM -- http://paizo.com/paizo/messageboards/paizo/customerService/extraBookInOrder 1593997 -- and, yep, I'll let a friend have it. Gotta spread the word!

Andoran

Paizo Charter Superscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Deluxe Comics Subscriber
BigWeather wrote:
I got a copy of Prince of Wolves along with my shipment of this... Intentional? I don't see a charge on My Account -- did anyone else have this happen to them?

Check this thread out.


Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber
Dragnmoon wrote:
BigWeather wrote:
I got a copy of Prince of Wolves along with my shipment of this... Intentional? I don't see a charge on My Account -- did anyone else have this happen to them?

Check this thread out.

Hehe, you beat me to my edit. Really cool of Paizo!

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Just curious but

Spoiler encounter:
What were those creatures in the Shadow Realm that the party fought near the tower?

As I posted elsewhere, so far pretty good story, I like the main character & can connect as a gamer with her.

Qadira

Spoiler:
At the end of Ch. 5, Elyana says "We must bury him. At least he won't rise again as a wight." I thought that would have been a good time to respond "You got that wight." Instead, Stelan says "I know this must be hard." Someone could have snuck in "That's what she said." I guess not everyone grieves through comedy.

Taldor

Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path, Tales Subscriber

I mentioned it on the Paizo facebook page, however, Amazon, B&N, and Borders sites all have an inaccurate description of the book, listing Elyana as a half-elf. Just thought you should know.

Paizo Employee Managing Editor

Haldir wrote:

Just curious but

** spoiler omitted **

I believe you're scheduled to find out in Bestiary 3. :D

Paizo Employee Managing Editor

Runnetib wrote:
I mentioned it on the Paizo facebook page, however, Amazon, B&N, and Borders sites all have an inaccurate description of the book, listing Elyana as a half-elf. Just thought you should know.

Thanks! Yeah, sometimes it takes a lot of time (and emailing) to get descriptions and covers updated on Amazon.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion Subscriber
James Sutter wrote:
Haldir wrote:

Just curious but

** spoiler omitted **

I believe you're scheduled to find out in Bestiary 3. :D

Can we quote this as a semi-official confirmation of Bestiary 3 ? :)))

Paizo Employee Managing Editor

Gorbacz wrote:
James Sutter wrote:
Haldir wrote:

Just curious but

** spoiler omitted **

I believe you're scheduled to find out in Bestiary 3. :D
Can we quote this as a semi-official confirmation of Bestiary 3 ? :)))

Uhh.... THREAD LOCKED! EVERYBODY OUT OF THE POOL!

(But seriously, while I'm not saying anything official--after how cool Bestiary 2 was, do you really think we could stop there?)


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Maps Subscriber

No, no I don't think you guys COULD stop there. :)

PS: I just posted a review of Plague of Shadows. (My favorite so far).

Dean

Cheliax

Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
The_Minstrel_Wyrm wrote:

No, no I don't think you guys COULD stop there. :)

PS: I just posted a review of Plague of Shadows. (My favorite so far).

Dean

On your more with the characters - I'd watch next Wednesday's web fiction if I were you...

Taldor

No time to write much of a review just yet, but I finished the book last night and loved it. Great story! The writing was excellent and the characters very intriguing. I would love to read more about them some day. Good work Howard Andrew Jones! Another fantastic addition to the Pathfinder Tales collection. I can't wait for my sister to get the extra copy of Prince of Wolves I got and sent to her. She's going to dig this stuff, I know it!


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Maps Subscriber
Enlight_Bystand wrote:
The_Minstrel_Wyrm wrote:

No, no I don't think you guys COULD stop there. :)

PS: I just posted a review of Plague of Shadows. (My favorite so far).

Dean

On your more with the characters - I'd watch next Wednesday's web fiction if I were you...

Okey Dokey... noted.

Thanks Enlight_Bystand.

Contributor

The_Minstrel_Wyrm wrote:

No, no I don't think you guys COULD stop there. :)

PS: I just posted a review of Plague of Shadows. (My favorite so far).

Dean

I'm delighted you liked it so much. It's always a pleasure to hear that your work has been enjoyed.

Contributor

skinnyfat wrote:
No time to write much of a review just yet, but I finished the book last night and loved it. Great story! The writing was excellent and the characters very intriguing. I would love to read more about them some day. Good work Howard Andrew Jones! Another fantastic addition to the Pathfinder Tales collection. I can't wait for my sister to get the extra copy of Prince of Wolves I got and sent to her. She's going to dig this stuff, I know it!

Thanks, Skinnyfat. I do have some ideas in mind, but I'm locked away writing the sequel to a book for another company right now. Web fiction featuring some of the characters should be popping up on the Paizo board next week, though.


I don't understand the price point for Paizo's fiction books. I am an avid reader and $9.99 is not a standard price for mass market paperbacks. And that's just for in-store purchases. Amazon often pushes the disparity even further.

I haven't read any books in the line because at $9.99 they are overpriced compared to the market. If Paizo needs that price to avoid losing on sales, that's unfortunate. But I find it hard to believe that sales will be much broader than to the pathfinder fans.

I haven't read any of the Mistborn books, but I'm far more likely to pick one up for $7.99 than to try a pathfinder novel for $9.99.

Just some feedback from a pathfinder player and sword and sorcery reader.


My dear boys, it's all about the numbers. Somebody get them a copy of Prince of Wolves! Mine's already spoken for.

Cheliax

Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
HolmesandWatson wrote:

I don't understand the price point for Paizo's fiction books. I am an avid reader and $9.99 is not a standard price for mass market paperbacks. And that's just for in-store purchases. Amazon often pushes the disparity even further.

I haven't read any books in the line because at $9.99 they are overpriced compared to the market. If Paizo needs that price to avoid losing on sales, that's unfortunate. But I find it hard to believe that sales will be much broader than to the pathfinder fans.

I haven't read any of the Mistborn books, but I'm far more likely to pick one up for $7.99 than to try a pathfinder novel for $9.99.

Just some feedback from a pathfinder player and sword and sorcery reader.

You explained the price yourself. Mass Market. Yes mass market books do indeed sell for 7.99, smaller print books sell for more. I would love for them to be cheaper myself. I mostly subscribe cause I prefer reading it on the computer.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

As someone who's worked in a bookstore for the past five years, I can tell you that I have watched the prices on mass markets go up and up. Yeah, some do still come out at $7.99, but not many. Most, these days are actually $8.99, and more and more are coming out at $9.99.

Also, I dig that the Pathfinder Tales books are the same price online (at a place such as Amazon) as in-store. It makes people more likely to actually go into their local bookstore and pick it up, which is definitely a good thing in today's day and age.

Taldor

As I'm moving to Kindle reading, and new Kindle versions cost more than $9.99 in general (as the publisher sets that price) and the subscription comes with an electronic version, it works pretty well for me. Mind you, an ebook-only subscription would also suit me; I think that I'm done with physical books for fiction.

Contributor

Hey all, I've got an interview that's a behind-the-scenes look at writing Plague of Shadows over on the Black Gate web site. I thought it might be of interest:

http://www.blackgate.com/2011/03/02/black-gate-interviews-howard-andrew-jon es-part-three/#more-18305

Cheliax

Just finished Plague of Shadows. Great characters and storyline. Exactly what I was looking for when I subscribed to Pathfinder Tales. Can't wait to read more of your work!

Contributor

Captain Chaos wrote:

Just finished Plague of Shadows. Great characters and storyline. Exactly what I was looking for when I subscribed to Pathfinder Tales. Can't wait to read more of your work!

Thank you very much, Captain. You can find Elyana and many of the same characters in a 4-part story underway right now on the free fiction component right on this blog, but you probably know that. And my Arabian fantasy swashbuckler, The Desert of Souls, came out just a week or so before Plague of Shadows, but you probably know that too!

Cheliax

Howard Andrew Jones wrote:
Captain Chaos wrote:

Just finished Plague of Shadows. Great characters and storyline. Exactly what I was looking for when I subscribed to Pathfinder Tales. Can't wait to read more of your work!

Thank you very much, Captain. You can find Elyana and many of the same characters in a 4-part story underway right now on the free fiction component right on this blog, but you probably know that. And my Arabian fantasy swashbuckler, The Desert of Souls, came out just a week or so before Plague of Shadows, but you probably know that too!

Aye, getting into the 4 part story now, and my next Amazon order will include The Desert of Souls...looks great...

Did I hear that you are going to PaizoCon this year??

Contributor

Captain Chaos wrote:
Howard Andrew Jones wrote:
Captain Chaos wrote:

Just finished Plague of Shadows. Great characters and storyline. Exactly what I was looking for when I subscribed to Pathfinder Tales. Can't wait to read more of your work!

Thank you very much, Captain. You can find Elyana and many of the same characters in a 4-part story underway right now on the free fiction component right on this blog, but you probably know that. And my Arabian fantasy swashbuckler, The Desert of Souls, came out just a week or so before Plague of Shadows, but you probably know that too!

Aye, getting into the 4 part story now, and my next Amazon order will include The Desert of Souls...looks great...

Did I hear that you are going to PaizoCon this year??

I've been thinking about it, but that's a long haul for me. Gen Con is in easy driving distance, so I'll definitely be in Indy. Thanks for your support. Believe me, I appreciate it.

Cheliax

Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

I am almost done with the book. I am liking it more and more as it goes on. I know Arcil is a bad guy but I think he might be my favorite character. He is evil and nuts to boot, but funny in a twisted way.

Contributor

Dark_Mistress wrote:
I am almost done with the book. I am liking it more and more as it goes on. I know Arcil is a bad guy but I think he might be my favorite character. He is evil and nuts to boot, but funny in a twisted way.

I'm glad you enjoy Arcil.

When I was a kid, I didn't really understand the alignments very well, and it's only when coming back to them with Pathfinder that I "got" it. Maybe I just didn't understand evil, and I'm sure that part of my understanding improved with the Pathfinder description. Lawful evil can have a code of conduct and beliefs. I suppose someone chaotic evil or neutral evil could have friends who were *evil*, but I can't imagine them having much loyalty to them -- they would probably be friends of convenience only.

I thought someone Lawful evil might actually value some people of shared background and interest even if they weren't card carrying LE buddies, and that some good characters might not notice that their boon companion wasn't necessarily on the side of the angels, especially if he followed the rules and kept his word and worked for the good of the group. Suppose his alignment started out more neutral and he slowly got more self-involved... Surely, such a person wouldn't think of himself as evil.

Anyway. That's Arcil.

Cheliax

Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Howard Andrew Jones wrote:
Dark_Mistress wrote:
I am almost done with the book. I am liking it more and more as it goes on. I know Arcil is a bad guy but I think he might be my favorite character. He is evil and nuts to boot, but funny in a twisted way.

I'm glad you enjoy Arcil.

When I was a kid, I didn't really understand the alignments very well, and it's only when coming back to them with Pathfinder that I "got" it. Maybe I just didn't understand evil, and I'm sure that part of my understanding improved with the Pathfinder description. Lawful evil can have a code of conduct and beliefs. I suppose someone chaotic evil or neutral evil could have friends who were *evil*, but I can't imagine them having much loyalty to them -- they would probably be friends of convenience only.

I thought someone Lawful evil might actually value some people of shared background and interest even if they weren't card carrying LE buddies, and that some good characters might not notice that their boon companion wasn't necessarily on the side of the angels, especially if he followed the rules and kept his word and worked for the good of the group. Suppose his alignment started out more neutral and he slowly got more self-involved... Surely, such a person wouldn't think of himself as evil.

Anyway. That's Arcil.

Actually i liked him a lot because he is how i think most "evil" people should be. most people don't see themselves as evil. They say i am doing what is best for the greater good and many are selfish to boot. Which to many others is evil, but few people see themselves or their actions as "evil". Arcil felt that way to me. Was he evil? oh yes, but he didn't see himself that what. I think he thought he was just practical and willing to do what it took to get the job done. His problem was unable to see past his own wants, desires and views.

Derlm (spelling) I was meh about him but liked him more and more as the book went on. Actually i just felt that way the whole time. I thought it was a bit of a slow so so start but got better and better as the book went. I finished btw.

Contributor

Dark_Mistress wrote:


Actually i liked him a lot because he is how i think most "evil" people should be. most people don't see themselves as evil. They say i am doing what is best for the greater good and many are selfish to boot. Which to many others is evil, but few people see themselves or their actions as "evil". Arcil felt that way to me...

Derlm (spelling) I was meh about him but liked him more and more as the book went on. Actually i just felt that way the whole time. I thought it was a...

I think you're right about most evil people not seeing themselves that way. Surely Arcil did not.

Drelm starts out as an obstruction, not really an ally, so I'm not surprised you were kind of meh about him at first. I hope you warmed to him eventually, as Elyana did.

Cheliax

Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Howard Andrew Jones wrote:
Dark_Mistress wrote:


Actually i liked him a lot because he is how i think most "evil" people should be. most people don't see themselves as evil. They say i am doing what is best for the greater good and many are selfish to boot. Which to many others is evil, but few people see themselves or their actions as "evil". Arcil felt that way to me...

Derlm (spelling) I was meh about him but liked him more and more as the book went on. Actually i just felt that way the whole time. I thought it was a...

I think you're right about most evil people not seeing themselves that way. Surely Arcil did not.

Drelm starts out as an obstruction, not really an ally, so I'm not surprised you were kind of meh about him at first. I hope you warmed to him eventually, as Elyana did.

Yeah by the end I liked him. Not my fav character but I liked him by the end. I get the point of what role he played. He just came off as a bit one dimensional to me at first and then he added depth as the story went on.

Paizo Employee Developer

My fiancee isn't a gamer or even a fan of fantasy or sci-fi, but I've convinced her to give this book a try because of its strong female character, and because I think it could be a gateway drug into Golarion and Pathfinder (What? A guy can't have ulterior motives?) We're reading it out loud to one another as a way of sharing the experience, and I must say that I'm liking reading it the second time even more than the first. We're through the first three chapters and she's already calling it "my book," as in "can we read a chapter of my book now?" So maybe she's already a convert! I'll let everyone know how it goes.

Cheliax

Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Well good luck converting her to a gamer girl. We need more of them. Once we have enough numbers we can overthrow you men and take over. :)


No sane lord would feed chicken bones to his dogs. ;-)

Contributor

bugleyman wrote:

No sane lord would feed chicken bones to his dogs. ;-)

I caught that too. I was also wondering about them gnawing the chicken bones, and the relative size of the dogs or the chickens for this to be possible. ;)

Aside from that, a fun tale. Reminded me of Clifford Simak's ENCHANTED PILGRIMAGE.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Finished yesterday & I must say excellent tale & I'm looking forward to further adventures from Howard in the Pathfinder world.

I think this one is probably my favorite book in the Tales line......so far. I felt like I connected with the characters more then the other books & such.

A few spoilers:

Spoiler:
I guess it only dawned on me that Elyana's horse was her animal companion after she died. The reaction & interaction with Elyana was written well, thanks Howard.

Spoiler:
I kinda guessed Vallyn was the traitor early in the book, but it still was a bit shocking in the end he still betrayed them. He really didn't like Arcil!!

Spoiler:
Looking forward to further adventures of Elyana & Drelm!!!

Again, thank you Howard for a enjoyable read. Thou, I now got nothing to read till Worldwound Gambit!!! ha ha

1 to 50 of 137 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / paizo.com / Product Discussion / Pathfinder Tales: Plague of Shadows All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.
Top Sellers
Pathfinder Tales: The Crusader Road
1. Pathfinder Tales: The Crusader Road
***** (based on 8 ratings)

Add Print Edition: $9.99

Add ePub/PDF: $6.99

Add Non-Mint: $9.99 $7.49


2. Pathfinder Tales: The Redemption Engine
3. Pathfinder Tales: Prince of Wolves
4. Pathfinder Tales: Queen of Thorns
5. Pathfinder Tales: Death's Heretic
6. Pathfinder Tales: Master of Devils
7. Pathfinder Tales: Pirate's Honor
8. Pathfinder Tales: Liar's Blade
9. Pathfinder Tales: Called to Darkness
10. Pathfinder Tales: Blood of the City

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.