Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
About Paizo Messageboards News Paizo Blog Help/FAQ
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

The Genius Guide to Air Magic (PFRPG) PDF

***½( ) (based on 2 ratings)

List Price: $3.99

Our Price: FREE

Add to Cart
Facebook Twitter Email

Air—perhaps the most mysterious of the primal elements of creation, an invisible medium through which we walk and in whose arms a rare few can fly. The power of air and wind, on their own, seem magical even in our modern world—how much more so in the medieval past? Where does the wind come from, what is it made of, and how can it wield so much power?

The pages of fantasy fiction are filled with the mysteries of air—castles in the sky, weapons made of wind, and creatures like djinni and elementals, who seem to be the very air itself brought to life. Certainly, the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Core Rulebook captures some of the power and mystery contained in the element of air—but that is expressed mostly in the form of movement-based or defensive spells when, as anyone who has ever been caught unprotected in the face of an oncoming gale will attest, air can also serve as a most formidable weapon.

Air vs. Storm

Air magic often overlaps with storm and weather magic, with spells such as control weather and control winds both being able to create tornadoes and hurricane-force winds under the right conditions. For the most part, The Genius Guide to Air Magic focuses only on air spells, leaving more lightning- and rain-focused spells for other venues. Even so there is some overlap (thunder, being a phenomenon entirely of air, sneaks into a few of our spells), and the new class options presented at the end of this product go further afield than the spells themselves (the druidic storm lord being the most obvious case). We also explore some concepts connected to specifically named winds (such as the chinook and sirocco spells), some of which have very little bearing on a scientific understanding of how air actually behaves and functions. We beg the reader’s indulgence if we wander further than expected from a focus on pure aerothurgy.

Product Availability


Fulfilled immediately. Will be added to your My Downloads Page immediately upon purchase of PDF.

Are there errors or omissions in this product information? Got corrections? Let us know at webmaster@paizo.com.

PZOPDFRGGOWC5041E


See Also:

Product Discussion (62)
1 to 50 of 62 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>
Minister of Propaganda, Super Genius Games

And it's live!

Hyrum.
Super Genius Games
"We err on the side of awesome."

Cheliax

Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

ARG! You make to much stuff I want to fast. I can't keep up.

Sczarni

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

So just to clarify, is there a druid variant in this book?

Minister of Propaganda, Super Genius Games

Frerezar wrote:
So just to clarify, is there a druid variant in this book?

Yep, they're called Storm Lords:

Quote:
Storm lords are druids with less connection to the world of animals, but stronger ties to the skies and weather. Unlike most druids, storm lords do not gain the wild shape ability. Instead they have the storm mastery power, which gives them access to a set of spell-like abilities they can use a number of times per day.

Hyrum.

Super Genius Games
"We err on the side of awesome."

Cheliax

Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

So when are you going to be doing storm magic and lighting magic?

Paizo Employee Modules Overlord

Dark_Mistress wrote:
So when are you going to be doing storm magic and lighting magic?

LOL

Didn't you JUST complain you couldn't keep up with the stuff we make that you want?

GGT Storm magic is on my list. Lightning magic will likely be folded in with it.


Owen K. C. Stephens wrote:
Dark_Mistress wrote:
So when are you going to be doing storm magic and lighting magic?

LOL

Didn't you JUST complain you couldn't keep up with the stuff we make that you want?

GGT Storm magic is on my list. Lightning magic will likely be folded in with it.

Those damn bank accounts that just don't magically pull money out of thin air ... can be a problem.

Wait, is that resolved in this release? :p

Sczarni

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

I gotta say I wasn't expecting that much from this one but boy I was wrong. This baby had a bunch of new spells, one new domain, a new bloodline, a new wizard specialization, a druidic variant, rules for an elemental companion, a creature tamplate, a couple of feats, and to top it all a NEW ARCHETYPE.

Awesome job guys, I like the other GG to magic but this one just topples them all.

Cheliax

Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Owen K. C. Stephens wrote:
Dark_Mistress wrote:
So when are you going to be doing storm magic and lighting magic?

LOL

Didn't you JUST complain you couldn't keep up with the stuff we make that you want?

GGT Storm magic is on my list. Lightning magic will likely be folded in with it.

Yeah whats your point? :)

Paizo Employee Modules Overlord

Frerezar wrote:

I gotta say I wasn't expecting that much from this one but boy I was wrong. This baby had a bunch of new spells, one new domain, a new bloodline, a new wizard specialization, a druidic variant, rules for an elemental companion, a creature tamplate, a couple of feats, and to top it all a NEW ARCHETYPE.

Awesome job guys, I like the other GG to magic but this one just topples them all.

Feedback like this is very useful, thanks!

To clarify, was it the fact that there was a lot of non-spell options that you liked, or some other factor that put it higher on your list?

Sczarni

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

It was the fact that there were a good amount of non spell options, specially the archetype, which ironically enough made the spell options applicable to more characters.
For example, I needed to make a wizard and a barbarian for this weekends game, both from a desert land, so i figure I'd pick up this guide to see if it could help the wizard. So it did, but on top of that it allowed me to make a scald type barbarian who cries out to the winds to help him ou whenever necessary. Basically everything in the book can be used for any kind of character, and that's just perfect.


So how many of the spells in the product have the air descriptor?

Paizo Employee Modules Overlord

Twin Agate Dragons wrote:
So how many of the spells in the product have the air descriptor?

It looks like all but one, and it should.

Cheliax

Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

I noticed a problem with one spell, Airblast. Is it a first level spell or second level for druids? It's listed as first level in one place, but second in another.


Love the product. I picked it up planning to add some Wind Duke magic to my Age of Worms game, and this fits the bill nicely. I love the monk and the feat that turns him into an air..um..."shaper". Nice little homage. I agree that the best thing about it were the different options.

I do have one question concerning the Wind Specialist Wizard. Is it intended to have bonus spells and opposition schools? If so, what did you have in mind for determining opposition schools since the [air] spells are all over the place?


So the druid option gives spell-like abilities. Can someone give me an idea of what the other options and the archetype give?

Paizo Employee Modules Overlord

penderwydd wrote:
Love the product. I picked it up planning to add some Wind Duke magic to my Age of Worms game, and this fits the bill nicely. I love the monk and the feat that turns him into an air..um..."shaper". Nice little homage. I agree that the best thing about it were the different options.

I'm really glad you liked the book, and I appreciate the feedback! And, yeah, my influences are pretty obvious sometimes. :D

penderwydd wrote:
I do have one question concerning the Wind Specialist Wizard. Is it intended to have bonus spells and opposition schools? If so, what did you have in mind for determining opposition schools since the [air] spells are all over the place?

While we could have gone that route, forbidding earth spells for example, I decided it would be really tricky to balance. Instead like a universalist wizard, the wind specialist has neither extra spell slots nor opposed schools.

Paizo Employee Modules Overlord

Chris Ballard wrote:
I noticed a problem with one spell, Airblast. Is it a first level spell or second level for druids? It's listed as first level in one place, but second in another.

Yep, that's a problem!

Airblast should be 2nd level for druids.

Paizo Employee Modules Overlord

SilvercatMoonpaw wrote:
So the druid option gives spell-like abilities. Can someone give me an idea of what the other options and the archetype give?

There's also an option for a druid to take an air elemental companion instead of an animal companion, be they storm lord or no.

Clerics get the Wind domain, which is less weather-related than either the air or weather domains.

The Air master is presented specifically for monks, but it an archetype template if you already have Archer Archetypes (or the upcoming Arcane Archetypes). It gives access to limited Air spells, six levels of casting over twenty character levels.

The Skyborne Bloodline for sorcerers acts like a normal bloodline -- new class skill, bonus feats, bloodline powers, and bonus spells.

The Wind Specialist gives wizards three special abilities.

Sczarni

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Arcane Archetypes....?????
How upcoming would you say they are?????

Paizo Employee Modules Overlord

Ah..... I wouldn't since we don't talk about upcoming products? In fact, I probably didn't even say that.

But if I had, it would be a really, really upcoming project. ;D

Cheliax

Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

I really liked the Storm Druid. This is on my list to review but I am falling behind. I have like 5 products in line to review.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Just picked up and read through this product. I very much like the flavor of what i have seen here. I do however have a few questions about discrepancies/errata if it's okay to ask them here i will summarise.

Page 10: Storm Lord Archtype
Storm Mastery V: adds Call Lightning Storm to list of choices.
Storm Mastery VIII: adds Call Lightning Storm to list of choices.

Page 11: Skyborne bloodline. Power: Airborne.
does not list a level when it becomes available.

Cheliax

Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Review added.

Minister of Propaganda, Super Genius Games

Dark_Mistress wrote:
Review added.

Thanks DM!

Hyrum.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Random hopeful bump for errata question!

Paizo Employee Modules Overlord

Rathendar wrote:
Random hopeful bump for errata question!

Feedback is always welcome! And these forums are the place to put it. But I did miss those, so I thank you for the bump.

Wow, those are messed up. Mea culpa. I'm not sure what happened. Use these versions of those abilities:

Storm Mastery VII: At 16th level, the storm lord can use a spell-like ability seven times per day. He also adds control weather to his list of spelllike abilities.
Storm Mastery VIII: At 18th level, the storm lord can use a spell-like ability eight times per day. He also adds whirlwind to his list of spell-like abilities.

Airborne (Su): At 9th level, you gain the ability to fly, which acts as the fly spell. You may do this a number of times per day equal to 3 + your
Charisma modifier. You may grant this ability to another creature with a touch, but doing so counts as two uses against your daily limit.

Sczarni

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

One of my players decided he wanted to make a Firebender type character, so I remember the air master variant from this book and wondered if the whole using the same variant but with fire spells instead of air ever came up during your testing or designing phase of this product. If it did how did it work? what should i liik out for?

Also I was curious as what would the interaction be between said variant and the feats that increase your spells known like expanded arcana or your own extra spell known. Would it also therefore (given the way the variant works)increase the spells per day? Should I not allow him to take those feats?

Thanks in advance.

Paizo Employee Modules Overlord

Frerezar wrote:

One of my players decided he wanted to make a Firebender type character, so I remember the air master variant from this book and wondered if the whole using the same variant but with fire spells instead of air ever came up during your testing or designing phase of this product. If it did how did it work? what should i liik out for?

Also I was curious as what would the interaction be between said variant and the feats that increase your spells known like expanded arcana or your own extra spell known. Would it also therefore (given the way the variant works)increase the spells per day? Should I not allow him to take those feats?

Surprisingly, I *did* run a few sessions with a bard who gave up bardic spells for an air-master style fire master set of powers. That worked fine, so yeah I think you can do it with a monk and make a firebender.

I wouldn't allow feats that expand spell lists, because either it also expands spells/day (due to the way the air master spells work), or add a way to choose between spells (which would be a pain). I'd also be cautious about some other spell type/class combinations, because they can get unbalancing quick. But any elemental combination with a monk should at least not be *overpowered*. (A water-spell character is not going to have a lot of options...)

Let me know how it goes for you!


You guy's need to do a Warlock class.....given the speed you pop stuff out, I figured your the best bet for anything in the next year ;)

Thanks so much for all the great game fodder.

Paizo Employee Modules Overlord

To reply in reverse order:

nighttree wrote:
Thanks so much for all the great game fodder.

You are very, very welcome. Thanks for buying it. We have been truly amazed by the success and great feedback we've gotten over the past year.

nighttree wrote:
You guy's need to do a Warlock class.....given the speed you pop stuff out, I figured your the best bet for anything in the next year ;)

Are you specifically looking for something like the 3.5 warlock (a class with magic powers that aren't spells and many aren't limited by uses/day), or something else?


Owen K. C. Stephens wrote:
Are you specifically looking for something like the 3.5 warlock (a class with magic powers that aren't spells and many aren't limited by uses/day), or something else?

More or less....although something that also incorporates some of the Binder flavor of binding an entity to yourself to gain power would of course be awesome ;)

The Warlock presented in Tomb of Secrets was (IMO) a good starting point, it just felt incomplete and un-polished.

Paizo Employee Modules Overlord

nighttree wrote:
More or less....although something that also incorporates some of the Binder flavor of binding an entity to yourself to gain power would of course be awesome ;)

Alright, I'll see if something along those lines develops well in playtesting. meanwhile, I will note that we did create the pact mage in Arcane Archetypes, which makes deals rather than binding creatures to itself, but still seems popular with players looking for a more eldritch feel to their magic. And, you can slap it on other classes, like fighters.

Paizo Employee Modules Overlord

1 person marked this as a favorite.

When Super Genius Games released the Genius Guide to Divination Magic, we failed to specify which spells were on what spell lists for classes out of the APG. This despite including a new mystery of omens for the oracle. That was an oversight, as we were rightly penalized on a few reviews for it. And, we promised to fix it. In doing so, we fixed the spell lists from our other magic books, and want to make sure that information is available to fans who have bought(or will buy) those books.

So, here are addendum spell lists for the alchemist, inquisitor, summoner, and witch. The spells presented are drawn from the Genius Guide to Air Magic (AirM). Oracles, obviously, still use the cleric spell list.

As we produce more books in this line, we'll be sure to add listings for the APG classes that need them!

Summoner Spells
3rd–Level Summoner Spells
Trade Wind: Summon favorable winds to increase a ship's speed or a creature's flight. (AirM)

Witch Spells
2nd–Level Witch Spells
Beneficent Breeze: Target's movement is aided by friendly winds. (AirM)
Foehn: Cone-shaped area filled with wind that sickens those within. (AirM)
Trade Wind: Summon favorable winds to increase a ship's speed or a creature's flight. (AirM)

3rd–Level Witch Spells
Chinook: Create a warm wind that raised the temperature and can dispel cold effects. (AirM)
Khazri: Create a cold wind that lowers the temperature and can dispel fire effects. (AirM)

Osirion

I am so excited to buy this one! It seems 4 out of every 5 spells in the core book having anything to do with air always get bunched in with electricity. Same thing with earth - acid & water - cold. It really annoys me but I see you have both ice magic & air magic. Yay!! I'll use this for my windy witch, & the ice magic guide for my Emma Frost based Ice sorcerer. Thanks for your books!!

Paizo Employee Modules Overlord

zabei wrote:
I'll use this for my windy witch, & the ice magic guide for my Emma Frost based Ice sorcerer. Thanks for your books!!

You are most welcome. Let me know how those work out for you!


There are two feats in this book, Air Kata and Squallblood. The feat type(s) are not listed. Should I assume these are both (General) feats, or are they a different type?


I don't know if it has been asked before, but do you plan to regroup the four elements guides (air, earth, fire and water) (or five with ice) into one volume one day?
That would be very convenient.


The spell Wind Tunnel has some problematic text:

"The path is easily traversed by you and your allies, who gain a +4 bonus to Acrobatics, Climb,and Jump checks made to move along the path."

There are no Jump checks in Pathfinder. They are part of Acrobatics checks now.


What is the Bloodline Arcana for the Skyborne Bloodline? It seems to have been left out.


The Skylord power from the Skyborne Bloodline references the "create object spells". What spells is this a reference to?

Paizo Employee Modules Overlord

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Caedwyr wrote:

The spell Wind Tunnel has some problematic text:

"The path is easily traversed by you and your allies, who gain a +4 bonus to Acrobatics, Climb, and Jump checks made to move along the path."

There are no Jump checks in Pathfinder. They are part of Acrobatics checks now.

Absolutely true. I don't think I make those kinds of mistakes anymore, but at the time I wrote this I was juggling writing for 3 versions of the d20 engine, and I goofed this one up. I'll add it (and the two items below) to the corrections list.

Caedwyr wrote:
What is the Bloodline Arcana for the Skyborne Bloodline? It seems to have been left out.

Whereas that's just a mistake on our part.

Bloodline Arcana: Your caster level is treated as being 1 higher for spells with the air descriptor, as well as those that grant flight.

Caedwyr wrote:
The Skylord power from the Skyborne Bloodline references the "create object spells". What spells is this a reference to?

Minor creation and major creation.


Owen K. C. Stephens wrote:


Caedwyr wrote:
The Skylord power from the Skyborne Bloodline references the "create object spells". What spells is this a reference to?
Minor creation and major creation.

Thanks for the responses and corrections. About the "create object spells" I initially thought of minor and major creation, but then started to wonder if it was intended to include Create Food and Water, Create Treasure Map, and generally any Create X spell as well.


Bumping my question about regrouping the elemental Genius Guides into one (see above)...


Reviewed here and sent to GMS magazine! Cheers!

Paizo Employee Modules Overlord

Seldriss wrote:

I don't know if it has been asked before, but do you plan to regroup the four elements guides (air, earth, fire and water) (or five with ice) into one volume one day?

That would be very convenient.

It's definitely one of the things we are considering doing... once we decide if we're going to do a Water Magic (or Sea Magic) separate from Ice Magic.

Paizo Employee Modules Overlord

Endzeitgeist wrote:
Reviewed here and sent to GMS magazine! Cheers!

Thanks for the review!

For the record, when we released this PDF, all divine spellcasting classes that existed used Wisdom as their spellcasting ability, and as a result the rules as written were clear (at least to all our playtesters), if not as concise as they could have been.

Of course the oracle has changed that now, and it wouldn't have done any harm to call it out even at the time, but no one ever seemed to think it was unusable as written.

The archetype does specify how the spells work, which is neither normal spontaneous or preparation casting. You have a table that tells you how many spells per level you know, and "The air master can cast each spell he knows only once per day. The air master can cast each spell he knows only once per day. An Air Master may choose to know the same spell multiple times if he wishes. An air master is not normally able to use metamagic feats, though he can use metamagic rods."


Any response to the issue raised in Endzeitgeist's review? namely:

Endzeitgeist wrote:
I like the idea, but unfortunately, while it is mentioned that the spells are cast as divine spells, but with arcane spell failure, we don’t know for sure the key-ability for his casting, nor whether he has to prepare spells or can cast them spontaneously, thus rendering this archetype rather problematic.

Paizo Employee Modules Overlord

Caedwyr wrote:

Any response to the issue raised in Endzeitgeist's review? namely:

Endzeitgeist wrote:
I like the idea, but unfortunately, while it is mentioned that the spells are cast as divine spells, but with arcane spell failure, we don’t know for sure the key-ability for his casting, nor whether he has to prepare spells or can cast them spontaneously, thus rendering this archetype rather problematic.

Just ninja'd you by editing my above post. Sorry!


Damn, sorry. I bought this after the release of the APG.Nevertheless, the clarification is good to have.

I got the idea of how the air master casts, but some effects work whether a spell is divine or arcane, thus it would be nice to know into which category the air master falls. I know that's nitpicky, but in my campaign divine/arcane is an important distinction when faced with e.g. corruption by negative energy/places of corruption/distorted mana-fields etc. And I know that other people might feel similar.

If you update the file, I'd scale my review up. :) Thanks for the quick reply, Owen!

Cheers,
EZG

1 to 50 of 62 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / paizo.com / Product Discussion / The Genius Guide to Air Magic (PFRPG) PDF All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.


Top Sellers
OWC5014E
1. The Genius Guide to Ice Magic (PFRPG) PDF
****( ) (based on 2 ratings)

Our Price: $3.99

Add to Cart

2. The Genius Guide to Fire Magic (PFRPG) PDF

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.