Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Pathfinder Adventure Card Game Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Pathfinder Adventures Pathfinder Campaign Setting Pathfinder Player Companion Pathfinder Accessories Pathfinder Miniatures Pathfinder Fiction Pathfinder® Society™ Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Compatible Products Pathfinder Apparel & Gifts Pathfinder Licensed Products
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

Pathfinder Chronicles: Kingmaker Poster Map Folio

****½ (based on 3 ratings)
Pathfinder Chronicles: Kingmaker Poster Map Folio

Add PDF: $10.99 $7.69

Print Edition: $15.99

Facebook Twitter Email

A Kingdom to Command

Raise and rule an entire kingdom in the Kingmaker Adventure Path. From early explorations and cartographic cataloguing of the region, to forays into the deadliest depths of an ancient wilderness, the Kingmaker Poster Map Folio provides the maps for an entire epic campaign.

Within this map folio, you’ll find six huge, 4-panel poster maps crucial to the Kingmaker Adventure Path—the mysterious village of Varnhold, the oppressed city of Pitax, and four linked maps that present the infamous Stolen Lands in their entirety. Even if you aren’t running the Kingmaker Adventure Path, the maps inside can serve any campaign as new wildernesses regions, villages, or cities for any RPG campaign. Your new kingdom waits within!

Cartography by Robert Lazzaretti

ISBN-13: 978-1-60125-249-4

Note: This product is part of the Pathfinder Campaign Setting Subscription.

Product Availability


PDF: Fulfilled immediately. Will be added to your My Downloads Page immediately upon purchase of PDF.

Print Edition:

Are there errors or omissions in this product information? Got corrections? Let us know at webmaster@paizo.com.

PZO9224


See Also:



Product Discussion (85)
1 to 50 of 85 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>

Just out and already out of stock? :(


Paizo Charter Superscriber; Pathfinder Deluxe Comics Subscriber

I think there's a database mistake here, the release date seems to be missing. Usually map folios come out around the time of the last issue of an adventure path.


I thought that was a different kind of release, poster maps made available for us to drool upon in anticipation of Kingmaker :)

Paizo Employee PostMonster General

The release date had been set to July 2009. I don't have the product schedule handy at the moment but I'm guessing it oughta be 2010 instead, so I changed the date.


Gary Teter wrote:
The release date had been set to July 2009. I don't have the product schedule handy at the moment but I'm guessing it oughta be 2010 instead, so I changed the date.

can't wait for next summer then, this looks like a stunning and very useful product for a very good price

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion Subscriber

I hope that the new direction of Map Folios will make them more useful than the current ones ...


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

What's in this product? Maps of course but what maps? Are they maps that are in the AP books that more detailed or are they maps that expand what is shown in the AP books? Or are these more like the map packs?

RPG Superstar 2011 Top 32

voska66 wrote:
What's in this product? Maps of course but what maps? Are they maps that are in the AP books that more detailed or are they maps that expand what is shown in the AP books? Or are these more like the map packs?

Ummm ... quoting from the description above:

"Four poster maps represent the Stolen Lands, the region Kingmaker players are destined to rule, with huge posters of the war-torn bandit town of Pitax and the lost village of Varnhold rounding out this beautiful collection"

So, I think you're getting around six poster maps, four for the Stolen Lands, and one each of the two areas mentioned :)

Paizo Employee Creative Director

With this product we're moving away from the 15 page collection of map reprints that the other map folios have done. This'll have six four-panel poster maps in it—two of cities and four of the wilderness region the AP takes place in. No reprinted dungeon maps at all.


James Jacobs wrote:
With this product we're moving away from the 15 page collection of map reprints that the other map folios have done. This'll have six four-panel poster maps in it—two of cities and four of the wilderness region the AP takes place in. No reprinted dungeon maps at all.

What? Now I'll have to reconsider my subscription to Chronicles.

Are some of these going to be usable as battle mats? I figure at least one will be a country/ area map for overland travel and maybe one a city map but is at least one a grided battlemap?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Dennis da Ogre wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
With this product we're moving away from the 15 page collection of map reprints that the other map folios have done. This'll have six four-panel poster maps in it—two of cities and four of the wilderness region the AP takes place in. No reprinted dungeon maps at all.

What? Now I'll have to reconsider my subscription to Chronicles.

Are some of these going to be usable as battle mats? I figure at least one will be a country/ area map for overland travel and maybe one a city map but is at least one a grided battlemap?

No. None of the maps will be at miniatuers scale.

Two will be poster maps of cities (such as those we recently did in the Cities of Golarion map folio or the map of Katapesh in the Legacy of Fire folio). The other four poster maps will be big maps of the region the PCs are going to be adventuring in and eventually ruling. They'll probably have big one-inch-wide hex grids too.

The battle mat niche is already filled by our flip map and map pack product lines. Producing battle mats for locations from Adventure Paths is not something that we have the resources to pull off at this time.

Andoran

Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
James Jacobs wrote:
With this product we're moving away from the 15 page collection of map reprints that the other map folios have done. This'll have six four-panel poster maps in it—two of cities and four of the wilderness region the AP takes place in. No reprinted dungeon maps at all.

I'm not sure if I like this or not o.O

I'll admit to never having used the dungeon maps, but I just hope that we don't lose some of the more useful (to me) maps in this transition. I used these map folios generally for player handouts, Fort Rannick and the Turtleback Ferry region being the most useful. Same with the Castle Korvosa and that town from LoF#1. So if it serves those purposes I'll be very happy.

Cheliax

Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Finally poster maps. Now I will actually be happy to buy this books. Before I wasn't a big fan, sure it was handy but I could just print them from the AP books. Now with poster maps it fills a wanted niche, for me anyways.


Dark_Mistress wrote:
Finally poster maps. Now I will actually be happy to buy this books. Before I wasn't a big fan, sure it was handy but I could just print them from the AP books. Now with poster maps it fills a wanted niche, for me anyways.

Ditto! Great move!


Pathfinder Deluxe Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Maps, Modules, Tales Subscriber

I like this change a lot, more value for money!

Qadira

Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Card Game, Companion, Maps, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

I have to agree with others. I'm happy that the map folio is changing to include maps/large printouts not included in the AP itself. I've only used the map folios once or twice, and it's always simply been for my own benefit of not flipping pages.

Cheliax

Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

I have a request with future map packs. Any ways the outside folder part could come with pockets on the inside. You know like the old school ones. It would make it a lot better for storing the maps if the folder had pockets to put the maps in so they don't just fall out after you take the plastic covering off.

Contributor

It's a shame this isn't scheduled for release in time for the start of the AP because I would have definitely bought it then. As it stands now, I simply might buy it.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

gang wrote:
It's a shame this isn't scheduled for release in time for the start of the AP because I would have definitely bought it then. As it stands now, I simply might buy it.

I agree that it would be cool to get the map packs out at the start of an AP... but since we can't release a map pack until all the required maps are done, and since the maps don't all get done at the start, it's just not possible. :(

(And no... simply doing all the maps at the start isn't a good solution either since usually maps have to change as we're working on adventures, and it takes more than 6 months or to finish off work on an entire Adventure Path.)

Andoran

Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
James Jacobs wrote:
gang wrote:
It's a shame this isn't scheduled for release in time for the start of the AP because I would have definitely bought it then. As it stands now, I simply might buy it.

I agree that it would be cool to get the map packs out at the start of an AP... but since we can't release a map pack until all the required maps are done, and since the maps don't all get done at the start, it's just not possible. :(

(And no... simply doing all the maps at the start isn't a good solution either since usually maps have to change as we're working on adventures, and it takes more than 6 months or to finish off work on an entire Adventure Path.)

Clearly you just need to get 6 months ahead! *cracks whip*

Contributor

Coridan wrote:


Clearly you just need to get 6 months ahead! *cracks whip*

Exactly! If you were 6 months ahead I'd already have Kingmaker by now! :p


These will come in very handy.

Excellent product, on top of the wanted list.

Paizo Employee Chief Technical Officer

I've updated the cover image and description to match the finished product.


James,

I have a couple of questions about this product.

1) What size are the poster maps?
2) What area will each of the "region" maps be?
(ie. will 1 be a hex map of the Chapter 31 area, 1 of the Chapter 32 area, etc, or something else?)

I like the idea of this more than the original map folios. I have the RotRL's folio and that is why I stopped buying them, as I want a map overview of the areas rather than replicas of maps in the chapters.

Thanks for the information....

-- david
Papa.DRB

James Jacobs wrote:
Two will be poster maps of cities (such as those we recently did in the Cities of Golarion map folio or the map of Katapesh in the Legacy of Fire folio). The other four poster maps will be big maps of the region the PCs are going to be adventuring in and eventually ruling. They'll probably have big one-inch-wide hex grids too.

Paizo Employee Chief Technical Officer

Papa-DRB wrote:

James,

I have a couple of questions about this product.

1) What size are the poster maps?
2) What area will each of the "region" maps be?
(ie. will 1 be a hex map of the Chapter 31 area, 1 of the Chapter 32 area, etc, or something else?)

"Four-panel" means they're (roughly) 17"x22".

I'll poke James to field the second question.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Papa-DRB wrote:

2) What area will each of the "region" maps be?

(ie. will 1 be a hex map of the Chapter 31 area, 1 of the Chapter 32 area, etc, or something else?)

There's gonna be six maps in all.

One will be of Varnhold.
One will be of Pitax (the city).

The other four will all correspond to the four regions of the Stolen Lands. The Greenbelt is one of those four regions. The second (the Velashu Uplands) appears in PF #33. The third (the Slough) appears in PF #34. The fourth (the Glenebon Heights) appears in PF #35.


Vic, James,

Thank you!

Exactly what I was hoping for. Pre-ordered.

-- david
Papa.DRB

James Jacobs wrote:

There's gonna be six maps in all.

One will be of Varnhold.
One will be of Pitax (the city).

The other four will all correspond to the four regions of the Stolen Lands. The Greenbelt is one of those four regions. The second (the Velashu Uplands) appears in PF #33. The third (the Slough) appears in PF #34. The fourth (the Glenebon Heights) appears in PF #35.


Wow, somehow this went completely past me.

Definitely a good move - the old map packs were mostly useless, with the exception of the poster maps, like the big cities and so on.

Getting more big maps, especially those the AP doesn't provide itself is simply great!

Taldor

James Jacobs wrote:
Papa-DRB wrote:

2) What area will each of the "region" maps be?

(ie. will 1 be a hex map of the Chapter 31 area, 1 of the Chapter 32 area, etc, or something else?)

There's gonna be six maps in all.

One will be of Varnhold.
One will be of Pitax (the city).

The other four will all correspond to the four regions of the Stolen Lands. The Greenbelt is one of those four regions. The second (the Velashu Uplands) appears in PF #33. The third (the Slough) appears in PF #34. The fourth (the Glenebon Heights) appears in PF #35.

A more detailed map of Varnhold than the town map in PF #33? I don't have the Cities of Golarion Map Folio so I don't know offhand how much detail goes into a folio city map.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Warforged Gardener wrote:
A more detailed map of Varnhold than the town map in PF #33? I don't have the Cities of Golarion Map Folio so I don't know offhand how much detail goes into a folio city map.

Nope; it's the same map of Varnhold, only 4 times the size.

Taldor

James Jacobs wrote:
Warforged Gardener wrote:
A more detailed map of Varnhold than the town map in PF #33? I don't have the Cities of Golarion Map Folio so I don't know offhand how much detail goes into a folio city map.
Nope; it's the same map of Varnhold, only 4 times the size.

One last question, although it's probably more about future maps of the Inner Sea region. Will the four maps of the Stolen Lands fit more seamlessly with the larger maps? I've had some difficulty getting things to line up quite right when I try rotating and scaling the smaller versions and inserting them into the existing Inner Sea maps(rivers being just a tad too far/too large, common points between the maps like the city of Restov not remotely near each other on the maps).

Paizo Employee Developer

Warforged Gardener wrote:
One last question, although it's probably more about future maps of the Inner Sea region. Will the four maps of the Stolen Lands fit more seamlessly with the larger maps? I've had some difficulty getting things to line up quite right when I try rotating and scaling the smaller versions and inserting them into the existing Inner Sea maps(rivers being just a tad too far/too large, common points between the maps like the city of Restov not remotely near each other on the maps).

Trying to reconcile existing maps into one consistent "master" map is one of the goals I have on the project and I believe Erik and James hold the same ideal. While the Stolen Lands map in the Kingmaker map pack will be a much more detailed version of the region (simply because of its magnified scale and tighter scope), I hope to get as much information, both in terms of tags and geographical features, to translate to the Inner Sea poster map.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

The "extra" features in the Stolen Lands (the swamps and mountains and hills) will be on the next version of the Inner Sea region map. Along with other "new" features that, until now, didn't appear on the regional maps (like the island of Smuggler's Shiv or the extra lakes and forests in Ustalav).


Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path, Roleplaying Game, Tales Subscriber

James,
Is there a way we could have poster AND tactical (miniature scale) maps for critical locations in the same product?
Are there any plans??
Thanks,

Note: Poster maps are GREAT!!


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Maps, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Apart from James Jacobs's post dated Nov 4, 2009, I couldn't find any info regarding the presence (or absence) of an hex-grid overlay on the 4 Stolen Lands maps.

So… Are the hexes here or not?


Paizo Charter Superscriber; Pathfinder Deluxe Comics Subscriber

Yes, there are hexes on the maps.


Vic Wertz wrote:


"Four-panel" means they're (roughly) 17"x22".

This does not gel with the description in the blog which says the entire map is 152 inches by 56..


Paizo Charter Superscriber; Pathfinder Deluxe Comics Subscriber

Indeed. If those are 4-panel-maps, like the poster maps in the previous map folios, the assembled map would be about 68" by 22" (about 1,500 sq.in.). Even if all maps were 8-panel maps - like the map from the Campaign Setting hardcover - the assembled map would only be 88" x 34 (about 3,000 sq.in.), nowhere near the size from the blog which is slightly more than 8,000 sq.in.

The measurements from the blog would fall somewhere between a map consisting of 16-panel sheets (136" x 44", 6,000 sq.in.) and one built with 32-panel-sheets (176" x 68", 12,000 sq.in.)


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Although 152 x 56 cm is quite close for a map 68 x 22 inches, allowing for some overlap between the long edges of each map.


yes i suspected it should be centimeteres but it's not a measurement I'd expect from an American based company


Paizo Charter Superscriber; Pathfinder Deluxe Comics Subscriber

Indeed, in cm this comes close... Maybe the store blog was written by an intern, and the intern left out the measurement units, and when it was transfered to the site, someone noticed, the units were missing, and put in inches? :)

Paizo Employee CEO

Antony Walls wrote:
Although 152 x 56 cm is quite close for a map 68 x 22 inches, allowing for some overlap between the long edges of each map.

Darn it! I bet that is what happened. :{ I didn't even think that the tape measure I was using might be in centimeters, being an American like I am, and so just assumed that the numbers were inches when I measured. Sigh. You just can't trust a CEO to do anything anymore, can you? Back to Kindergarten for me!

-Lisa


Lisa Stevens wrote:
Antony Walls wrote:
Although 152 x 56 cm is quite close for a map 68 x 22 inches, allowing for some overlap between the long edges of each map.

Darn it! I bet that is what happened. :{ I didn't even think that the tape measure I was using might be in centimeters, being an American like I am, and so just assumed that the numbers were inches when I measured. Sigh. You just can't trust a CEO to do anything anymore, can you? Back to Kindergarten for me!

-Lisa

You miss eating paste?


Senior moment Lisa...don't worry it happens to all off us

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Wagram wrote:

James,

Is there a way we could have poster AND tactical (miniature scale) maps for critical locations in the same product?
Are there any plans??
Thanks,

Note: Poster maps are GREAT!!

Tactical maps of critical locations are not really an option, for several reasons. The two main ones are:

1) There's too many "critical" locations in an AP to be able to narrow it down to a couple of sites and not feel like we're neglecting important ones.

2) We'd have to rebuild the maps entirely for those sites—it's one thing to build a poster map to size and then shrink it down for a full-page map in an adventure. it's another to do the same for a single tactical site, since that'd usually just be a fraction of a larger dungeon map. We'd have to order that map separately, and that'd mean we have to spend quite a lot more on paying for the map from the cartographer, which would mean we'd probably have to raise the price of the map folios a bit, which wouldn't make many folks happy at all.

Qadira

Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Maps, Modules, Roleplaying Game, Tales Subscriber
Lisa Stevens wrote:
Antony Walls wrote:
Although 152 x 56 cm is quite close for a map 68 x 22 inches, allowing for some overlap between the long edges of each map.

Darn it! I bet that is what happened. :{ I didn't even think that the tape measure I was using might be in centimeters, being an American like I am, and so just assumed that the numbers were inches when I measured. Sigh. You just can't trust a CEO to do anything anymore, can you? Back to Kindergarten for me!

-Lisa

It's a good enough mistake for NASA to make. At least you haven't destroyed a spacecraft.


brock wrote:
Lisa Stevens wrote:
Antony Walls wrote:
Although 152 x 56 cm is quite close for a map 68 x 22 inches, allowing for some overlap between the long edges of each map.

Darn it! I bet that is what happened. :{ I didn't even think that the tape measure I was using might be in centimeters, being an American like I am, and so just assumed that the numbers were inches when I measured. Sigh. You just can't trust a CEO to do anything anymore, can you? Back to Kindergarten for me!

-Lisa

It's a good enough mistake for NASA to make. At least you haven't destroyed a spacecraft.

And that children is why President Obama has decided that space is a final frontier the USA will be ignoring in future

Qadira

Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Maps, Modules, Roleplaying Game, Tales Subscriber
DM Wellard wrote:


And that children is why President Obama has decided that space is a final frontier the USA will be ignoring in future

Actually, we are still collaborating strongly with NASA and other US research institutes on proper technical, sciency stuff.


Lisa Stevens wrote:
Antony Walls wrote:
Although 152 x 56 cm is quite close for a map 68 x 22 inches, allowing for some overlap between the long edges of each map.

Darn it! I bet that is what happened. :{ I didn't even think that the tape measure I was using might be in centimeters, being an American like I am, and so just assumed that the numbers were inches when I measured. Sigh. You just can't trust a CEO to do anything anymore, can you? Back to Kindergarten for me!

-Lisa

Why would you make a prop of Stonehenge only 18 inches tall??

Paizo Employee Chief Technical Officer

David St Hubbins wrote:
Why would you make a prop of Stonehenge only 18 inches tall??

Because it goes with our T-shirt.

(I'm correcting the blog entry now...)

1 to 50 of 85 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / paizo.com / Product Discussion / Pathfinder Chronicles: Kingmaker Poster Map Folio All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.