Pathfinder: Curse of the Crimson Throne Player's Guide (OGL)

****½ (based on 8 ratings)
Pathfinder: Curse of the Crimson Throne Player's Guide (OGL)
Show Description For:
Non-Mint PDF

Add PDF FREE

Print Edition Unavailable

Non-Mint Unavailable

Facebook Twitter Email

Rebellion is in the air! The Pathfinder: Curse of the Crimson Throne Player’s Guide is a full-color, softcover, 16-page guide that gives you everything you need to create a character ready to take up arms in the second Pathfinder Adventure Path.

Get a native’s overview of the sprawling city of Korvosa—the series’ foremost locale. Learn what powers vie for control, and choose new weapons, equipment, and feats to prepare you for the dark days ahead. You’ll also get maps of the entire city and the region beyond, giving you everything you need to either save or sacrifice the largest city in Varisia!

Note: If you have an ongoing Pathfinder subscription, you'll receive a free print edition of this Player's Guide along with your subscription copy of Pathfinder #7—Curse of the Crimson Throne Chapter 1: "Edge of Anarchy" (OGL) .

Pathfinder is Paizo Publishing's 96-page, perfect-bound, full-color softcover Adventure Path book printed on high-quality paper that releases in a monthly volume. Each volume is brought to you by the same staff which brought you Dragon and Dungeon magazines for over five years. It contains an in-depth Adventure Path scenario, stats for about a half-dozen new monsters, and several support articles meant to give Game Masters additional material to expand their campaign. Because Pathfinder uses the Open Game License, it is 100% compatible with the 3.5 edition of the world's most popular fantasy roleplaying game.

ISBN-13 (5-Pack): 978-1-60125-086-5
ISBN-13 (Single Copy): 978-1-60125-087-2

Product Availability

PDF: Will be added to your My Downloads Page immediately upon purchase of PDF.

Print Edition: Unavailable

Non-Mint: Unavailable This product is non-mint. Refunds are not available for non-mint products. The standard version of this product can be found here.

Are there errors or omissions in this product information? Got corrections? Let us know at store@paizo.com.

PZO9000-2S


See Also:

1 to 5 of 8 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>

Average product rating:

****½ (based on 8 ratings)

Sign in to create or edit a product review.

Portuguese - Br

****( )

Não é nem necessário dizer que jogadores que pretendem jogar Crimson Throne tem a obrigação de pelo menos ter o PDF (que é gratuito no site da Paizo) e ler o quanto antes. As ilustrações são muito bonitas, mas poucas delas mostram a cidade em si. O novos talentos são uteis mesmo fora da campanha e todo o conceito do sistema de traits é interessante conhecer para resolver aquele velho problema de como juntar o grupo. Pode parecer forçar algo na história do jogador, mas é só uma maneira do mestre ter de juntar personagens como motivações corretas de entrarem naquela história (sem virar samba do crioulo doido).


One of the best of the player's guides

*****

You can read my complete review here: http://rpg.brouhaha.us/?p=2788


Perfect product

*****

Products like these are the reason I'm no longer supporting WotC, and all of those gaming dollars will be going to Paizo. Wow. The background info, the hints on how to get a party together, the flavor, the presentation - it is all perfect. And at $2.00 a pop, and free PDF download available, it is clear that Paizo is concerned more with the player's experience than squeezing every dollar out of us. Please keep up the good work, Paizo!


Korvosa Lives

****( )

Well written, but I can't wait for the guide book for Korvosa. The place sounds very regimented. Nice place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there. Still nice setup.


very helpful, but i'll have to do some serious editing

****( )

first i'll say, just to make it clear: this guide is very good, and i'd liked it.
but there is a major problam in this guidebook: it gives to much information. the endless lists of not- really-importent-to-know people frpm the city will quicly overwhelm any but the most enthuistic players, so they might miss importent pats.
second problam: from reading the guide, it is easy to guss what the first adventure is going to be about, for it holds many obvios clues.
therefore, i am going to edit this guide before asking my playrs to read it, and i recommend that you as DM's should do the same.


1 to 5 of 8 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>
1 to 50 of 52 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>
Paizo Employee Chief Technical Officer

The final cover has just been posted!

Paizo Employee Chief Technical Officer

Vic Wertz wrote:
The final cover has just been posted!

Turns out I'm totally a liar about that. A non-final draft of the final cover has just been posted! The *real* final cover, which actually includes the word "Pathfinder" on it somewhere, will be along momentarily. Nothing to see here...

Paizo Employee Chief Technical Officer

Vic Wertz wrote:
Vic Wertz wrote:
The final cover has just been posted!
Turns out I'm totally a liar about that. A non-final draft of the final cover has just been posted! The *real* final cover, which actually includes the word "Pathfinder" on it somewhere, will be along momentarily. Nothing to see here...

Ok. Now, really, the final cover has been posted. Unless we change it more later.

(If you see a version with no Pathfinder logo, clear your browser's image cache.)

Scarab Sages

Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

wow! looks very...pretty...

Contributor

Vic Wertz wrote:
The final cover has just been posted!

Holy Snikies Vic...that may be the coolest, most sophisticated and awesome cover I've ever seen on a gaming product. No joke. Looks like the cover to the best graphic novel I've yet to read. Well done Paizo Lords!


Oh I verily likes it, I does. The perfect balance between inviting - lush, crimson, soft ... and repulsive - dark, clutching and decadent.

I didn't even realize there would be a player's guide for COTCT and I was just on my way to beg, plead and argue effectively for the merits of having one for each new adventure. Just like I was for an unpainted line of iconic minis. You keep beating me to the punch ... but as insulting as it can be, sometimes its nice to be the demographic.

Cheers


Very imposing!!! Can't wait to take a look inside that bad boy.

Paizo Employee Chief Technical Officer

Nicolas Logue wrote:
Vic Wertz wrote:
The final cover has just been posted!
Holy Snikies Vic...that may be the coolest, most sophisticated and awesome cover I've ever seen on a gaming product. No joke. Looks like the cover to the best graphic novel I've yet to read. Well done Paizo Lords!

Thanks—I designed* it myself!

Spoiler:
*Where "designed" is equal to "had nothing to do with." It was really all Sarah.

Paizo Employee Chief Technical Officer

Cobbler wrote:

I didn't even realize there would be a player's guide for COTCT and I was just on my way to beg, plead and argue effectively for the merits of having one for each new adventure. Just like I was for an unpainted line of iconic minis. You keep beating me to the punch ... but as insulting as it can be, sometimes its nice to be the demographic.

Cheers

You should beg, plead, and argue for a FREE copy of the Player's Guide to be sent out with each and every subscriber copy of Pathfinder 7. Because we're doing that, too.

The Exchange

Paizo Superscriber; Pathfinder Deluxe Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Tales Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber
Vic Wertz wrote:
You should beg, plead, and argue for a FREE copy of the Player's Guide to be sent out with each and every subscriber copy of Pathfinder 7. Because we're doing that, too.

Sorry, I beat him on that one, since I was just about to beg, plead, and argue for the free copy.... :)

Dark Archive

Once again (after Pathfinder #7, Guide to Korvosa) the bar of graphic quality and appeal has been raised another notch.

An incredibly cool-looking cover for this Player's Guide.

Dark Archive

Is the Paizo staff close to announcing a release date on the PDF yet? I'm assuming like Rise of the Runelords that the PDF of the Player's Guide will be a free download and print copies will be $2. Really looking forward to taking a look at this - urban adventures rock!!!

Paizo Employee Chief Technical Officer

Michael Cummings wrote:
Is the Paizo staff close to announcing a release date on the PDF yet? I'm assuming like Rise of the Runelords that the PDF of the Player's Guide will be a free download and print copies will be $2. Really looking forward to taking a look at this - urban adventures rock!!!

Your assumption is correct. I think you'll be seeing the free PDF soon!

Paizo Employee Senior Software Developer

This product is now available as a free PDF download: 7.6MB zip PDF. Enjoy!

Paizo Employee Chief Technical Officer

Vic Wertz wrote:
Your assumption is correct. I think you'll be seeing the free PDF soon!
Gary Teter wrote:
This product is now available as a free PDF download: 7.6MB zip PDF. Enjoy!
Was that soon enough? :-)


Adventure Path Charter Subscriber
Vic Wertz wrote:
Vic Wertz wrote:
Your assumption is correct. I think you'll be seeing the free PDF soon!
Gary Teter wrote:
This product is now available as a free PDF download: 7.6MB zip PDF. Enjoy!
Was that soon enough? :-)

Thank you!

Paizo Employee Creative Director, Starfinder

Posting that on a day that I have work to do is just wrong. Wrong I tell you! (But in a good way.) :P


Amazing product! Thank you!


I have one question regarding the crossbow mastery feat: Does a ranger that takes the feat instead of manyshot at 6th level need to have the prerequisites of the feat or not?

Btw: Great product :-)

Dark Archive

Gary Teter wrote:
This product is now available as a free PDF download: 7.6MB zip PDF. Enjoy!

Whooo-hoo!!!

*does the happy dance*

Scarab Sages RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32

Great job guys, really top quality. I can't wait for my hard copy and I really can't wait for PF#7!

Other people may disagree, but I actually really like the fact that you re-did alot of the same stuff in the RotRL PG.

Demidian wrote:
I have one question regarding the crossbow mastery feat: Does a ranger that takes the feat instead of manyshot at 6th level need to have the prerequisites of the feat or not?

I would say not. They don't have to have the pre-reqs for any of their other feats they gain through Class Abilities.


I am very impressed with this Player's Guide. Great art, cool new feats, built in hooks to bring a party together, suggested backgrounds for character races and classes, cool maps, etc. This thing has it all. I thought the Rise of the Runelords Player's Guide would be a tough act to follow. This one tops it across the board. Well done!


so since I new to this conversation is it a fact that Pathfinder #7 is a new start (first lvl character) or does it continue on from PF #6. I have not finished reading PF#4 yet. ok I'm slow.


Crap - my productivity for the day just went out the window . . .

Liberty's Edge

ditch2099 wrote:
so since I new to this conversation is it a fact that Pathfinder #7 is a new start (first lvl character) or does it continue on from PF #6. I have not finished reading PF#4 yet. ok I'm slow.

Yes, it is an all new adventure path, starting at lvl 1 and scheduled to go through to... 17th or 18th level as far as I remember.


Stegger wrote:
ditch2099 wrote:
so since I new to this conversation is it a fact that Pathfinder #7 is a new start (first lvl character) or does it continue on from PF #6. I have not finished reading PF#4 yet. ok I'm slow.
Yes, it is an all new adventure path, starting at lvl 1 and scheduled to go through to... 17th or 18th level as far as I remember.

Thank you. I may have to put together a new group to play with now.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Demidian wrote:

I have one question regarding the crossbow mastery feat: Does a ranger that takes the feat instead of manyshot at 6th level need to have the prerequisites of the feat or not?

Btw: Great product :-)

Yup! If a ranger takes Crossbow Mastery at 6th level as part of his ranger powers instead of taking Manyshot or Improved Two-Weapon Fighting, he does NOT need to have the prerequisites for Crossbow Mastery to use it. (Same thing for Manyshot and Improved Two-Weapon Fighting, in fact.)


So what product will cover the Hellknights in detail?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

blackotter wrote:
So what product will cover the Hellknights in detail?

That product is not yet on the schedule.

But, eventually, it will be.


I really like this players guide too. Darn you Paizoans! Making stuff I like and getting me hooked...


Paizo Charter Superscriber; Pathfinder Deluxe Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Legends Subscriber; Pathfinder Tales Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber

I'm just looking at the OGL declaration in the PDF of this product and I noticed that it says:

"Rise of the Runelords Player's Guide. Copyright 2007 Paizo Publishing LLC. Author James Jacobs and Mike McArtor."

I think this is supposed to read "Curse of the Crimson Throne Player's Guide" not "Rise of the Runelords Player's Guide", am I correct?

Dark Archive Contributor

Zaister wrote:

I'm just looking at the OGL declaration in the PDF of this product and I noticed that it says:

"Rise of the Runelords Player's Guide. Copyright 2007 Paizo Publishing LLC. Author James Jacobs and Mike McArtor."

I think this is supposed to read "Curse of the Crimson Throne Player's Guide" not "Rise of the Runelords Player's Guide", am I correct?

Yes.

Damn.

:(

Liberty's Edge

I just saw Pathfinder in my local PX (that's a shopping center for US military, for those not in the know) here in Korea! It's a very hot seller according to the Yongsan store manager. I was extremely happy to see the 'Military Appreciation Edition' of Pathfinder #1, which included a free print copy of the Player's Guide. I hope you guys do that with P#7, too. Those small gestures really go a long way. Thanks!


Vic Wertz wrote:
You should beg, plead, and argue for a FREE copy of the Player's Guide to be sent out with each and every subscriber copy of Pathfinder 7. Because we're doing that, too.

Awesome. I can't wait! Thanks again for a great product and great customer support.

Contributor

Without wishing to be accused of bias, this is absolutely fantastic - well done chaps!

Awesome...

Paizo Employee CEO

Andrew Turner wrote:
I just saw Pathfinder in my local PX (that's a shopping center for US military, for those not in the know) here in Korea! It's a very hot seller according to the Yongsan store manager. I was extremely happy to see the 'Military Appreciation Edition' of Pathfinder #1, which included a free print copy of the Player's Guide. I hope you guys do that with P#7, too. Those small gestures really go a long way. Thanks!

Unfortunately, that isn't in the works for CotCT. When we ended up getting the bill for putting those bands around both products, the cost was more money than we were getting for selling the product into the military channel! Needless to say, we can't keep doing that and stay in business. :) However, we are always dreaming up new ways to do something special for our customers in the armed services.

-Lisa

Liberty's Edge

Lisa Stevens wrote:
Andrew Turner wrote:
I just saw Pathfinder in my local PX (that's a shopping center for US military, for those not in the know) here in Korea! It's a very hot seller according to the Yongsan store manager. I was extremely happy to see the 'Military Appreciation Edition' of Pathfinder #1, which included a free print copy of the Player's Guide. I hope you guys do that with P#7, too. Those small gestures really go a long way. Thanks!

Unfortunately, that isn't in the works for CotCT. When we ended up getting the bill for putting those bands around both products, the cost was more money than we were getting for selling the product into the military channel! Needless to say, we can't keep doing that and stay in business. :) However, we are always dreaming up new ways to do something special for our customers in the armed services.

-Lisa

Oh, well. It's really just very good to see Paizo products in the overseas PX, as we military are often stationed in places with no FLGS (thanks Heavens for Paizo mail order), so the Army and Air Force Exchange Service is it.

Liberty's Edge

Paizo Charter Superscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Tales Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber
Lisa Stevens wrote:


Unfortunately, that isn't in the works for CotCT. When we ended up getting the bill for putting those bands around both products, the cost was more money than we were getting for selling the product into the military channel! Needless to say, we can't keep doing that and stay in business. :) However, we are always dreaming up new ways to do something special for our customers in the armed services.

-Lisa

I know the perfect thing you can do... Come visit us overseas!!!..Germany would be perfect ;-)


Looks good as always. Can't wait for its realease. The 1st pathfinder was great so looking forward to this 1 even more.

Sovereign Court

Intrigueing and very weel done reminds me of the "old" style D&D mods. kudos !! and other such adjectives!!!

Sovereign Court

First off, thanks for an incredible set of products. It's nice to see someone filling the gap of quality modules for D&D rather than just producing more mediocre feat books. What we (my wife and I) have seen of your world is incredible.

On to my question.
With regards to the Acadamae Graduate Feat, if you have taken the Endurance Feat does the +4 bonus apply to the Fortitude save.

Thanks,
John.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

John Gillespie wrote:

First off, thanks for an incredible set of products. It's nice to see someone filling the gap of quality modules for D&D rather than just producing more mediocre feat books. What we (my wife and I) have seen of your world is incredible.

On to my question.
With regards to the Acadamae Graduate Feat, if you have taken the Endurance Feat does the +4 bonus apply to the Fortitude save.

Thanks,
John.

I'd say yes, it does. If only to give Endurance something else to do.

Liberty's Edge

Just wondering, on the map, there are a bunch of codes (b1, h1, etc.). To what do these refer? Is there a map key that I am not seeing?

Paizo Employee Franchise Manager

Aveneer wrote:
Just wondering, on the map, there are a bunch of codes (b1, h1, etc.). To what do these refer? Is there a map key that I am not seeing?

The map is the same one that appears in the Guide to Korvosa, where the key is. There is no key in this product, unfortunately.

The Exchange

I just made a stab at adding the Traits in PCGen 5.16.4 for a PF based campaign. I had some success so am sharing here:

The files in question live in this directory...

\PCGen\PCGen5164\data\d20ogl\paizo\pathfinder\curse_of_the_crimson_throne\ curse_of_the_crimson_throne_players_guide\pathfinder_conversion

And are:

cotct_pg_abilities_traits.lst (NEW FILE)
curse_of_the_crimson_throne_players_guide_pfrpg.pcc (MODIFIED FILE)

EDIT: The traits file is as good as I can get it. 8 of the 10 traits give their bonuses in PCGen now (but all give their text info on your character sheet).
Unhappy Childhood (Religious) - no PCGen calculation as this gives a bonus to Concentration and that is not tracked by PCGen.
Love Lost (Orphaned) - This one is gnarly as it requires first picking a category (Craft, Perform, Profession), and then picking a subcategory. So I have it showing the bonus for Craft (Untrained), Perform (Untrained), and Profession (Merchant). You can edit the line and put in your desired Craft/Perform/Profession if you want it to be specific for your choice.


Will there be an updated Player's Guide to go along with the new version of the AP coming out next month?


Sean Foree wrote:
Will there be an updated Player's Guide to go along with the new version of the AP coming out next month?

No. Not according to the answers in the discussion on the new one.

However, based on the description, the information from the Player's Guide that needed updating looks like it will be contained in the new book.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

5 people marked this as a favorite.

Also I'm hoping to get a mini-player's guide type thing up as a blog post in a bit that'll help fill the gap. No promises yet though, but it's my goal, and I'm working with Chris to make it happen.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Society Roleplaying Guild, Tales Subscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber

Yay! Thankies T-Rex and Rubit!


Would love an updated pguide now that I bought the hardcover.

1 to 50 of 52 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Paizo / Product Discussion / Pathfinder: Curse of the Crimson Throne Player's Guide (OGL) All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.