Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Pathfinder Adventure Card Game Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Pathfinder Adventures Pathfinder Campaign Setting Pathfinder Player Companion Pathfinder Accessories Pathfinder Miniatures Pathfinder Fiction Pathfinder® Society™ Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Compatible Products Pathfinder Apparel & Gifts Pathfinder Licensed Products
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

Pathfinder Chronicles: Classic Horrors Revisited (PFRPG)

***** (based on 8 ratings)
Pathfinder Chronicles: Classic Horrors Revisited (PFRPG)
Show Description For:
Non-Mint

Add Print Edition: $19.99

Add PDF: $13.99 $9.79

Non-Mint: Unavailable

Facebook Twitter Email

Things from Beyond the Grave

Born of myth, legend, and even modern film and literature, monsters such as the mummy, vampire, werewolf, and zombie are the stuff of nightmares—and frequent foes of heroic adventurers! Along with flesh golems, gargoyles, ghosts, ghouls, hags, and the mysterious derro, these ten monsters are staples of horror fiction and the bane of countless would-be heroes.

This 64-page book explores the origin of these creatures (in both the game world and real-world history), as well as their creation, habitat, society, motivations, and role in a campaign. Each creature also includes information on new and deadly creature variants, such as nosferatu vampires, corpse chill mummies, gemstone gargoyles, host corpse zombies, and phantasmagoric ghosts. What’s more, each chapter provides several new and notable examples of each creature, as well as a fully statted and ready-to-run sample monster, whether it’s a flesh golem barbarian, a derro magister, a ghoul necromancer, a hag water-witch, or a lycanthrope-hunting werewolf.

Whether your campaign is a standard fantasy monster hunt, a gothic romance, or an exercise in terror, Classic Horrors Revisited provides both historical insight and fresh new spins on these traditional icons of fear!

by James Jacobs, Rob McCreary, and F. Wesley Schneider

ISBN-13: 978-1-60125-202-9

Note: This product is part of the Pathfinder Campaign Setting Subscription.

Product Availability


Print Edition: Ships from our warehouse in 5 to 11 business days.

PDF: Fulfilled immediately. Will be added to your My Downloads Page immediately upon purchase of PDF.

Non-Mint: Unavailable This product is non-mint. Refunds are not available for non-mint products. The standard version of this product can be found here.

Are there errors or omissions in this product information? Got corrections? Let us know at webmaster@paizo.com.

PZO9216


See Also:



Product Discussion (235)
1 to 50 of 235 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | next > last >>
Cheliax

Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Very cool though it is coming out a month late though. Really should be a Oct release.


Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

*clears throat.*

Ahem...

Squeee!


Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber

Yes please.

Andoran

Is there rules on how to stake a vampire in combat?
*gnnnng*

Andoran

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Heathansson wrote:

Is there rules on how to stake a vampire in combat?

*gnnnng*

Yeah ... 'cos we got some ideas for you Wes, if not.

Andoran

Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Cards, Companion, Maps, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

OMG! I must have this!!!
I am glad my RotRL campaign will last the whole year. When it's over I have so much stuff to choose from... LoF, CoT, Classic Horrors Revisited and much much more. Can't wait to read Paizo's take on thieves guild's as well...
I am so happy to take a ride on the D&D Paizo-Era!!!

Cheliax

Argh! Hag and werewolf! I need it now! And another exclamation mark!

Andoran

Mothman wrote:
Heathansson wrote:

Is there rules on how to stake a vampire in combat?

*gnnnng*
Yeah ... 'cos we got some ideas for you Wes, if not.

I'm gonna add in that concealment thing too; I don't foresee another vampire any time soon though...


Oooooo
Me wants
Me wants

Taldor

Oh sweet merciful Desna, Seoni AND hot female Vampires/Succubi/chicks with wings and a tail on the cover? Awesome stuff.

I'm also sure the insides will be good too.

Taldor

I know the cover is likely to be a mock up.. but yeah. Seoni with stake vs Hot Female Vampires on the cover = Lots of sales.


Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Must get a copy now...

Cheliax

I'm thinking that my wife will be ****** off at me once again... for investing too much money on Paizo goodness! (last time we had a conversation about it a month ago)

Seriously, Paizo is churning out too many products that I want -- I've ordered so much from Amazon (or bought them at my FLGS), and comparing to how little I invested in WoTC's 3.5 stuff, it seems Paizo folks are reading my mind about what I'd want to see published! :)

Guys, you totally *ROCK*!


First of all, leave the cover as it is, it looks just fine. ;)

Secondly, this is yet another book from you people that can't come out soon enough for me! This looks like it'll be a great year for Paizo, but not so much for my wallet. *weeps*


Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Sannos meditate…

"I must wait until November"

"I must wait until November"

"I must wait until November"

Sannos scream in pain. I have edited this commits out because of content. Now back to Sannos …

"I must get a copy NOW"

"I must have a plan"

"1. Find out Paizo address in Seattle"

"2. MapQuest Paizo's address"

"3. Drive to Paizo"

Paizo Employee Editor-in-Chief

Mothman wrote:
Yeah ... 'cos we got some ideas for you Wes, if not.

Do tell. ^_~

Andoran

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

I’ll let Heathy tell you, since most of it was his good ideas. We were trying to come up with a mechanic that would allow you to combat-dust a vampire Buffy style without turning a vampire fight into a one round insta-kill affair when the PC with the stake rolled moderately high. Don’t know if we’ve quite nailed it yet…

Andoran

Whimper... NEED IT...

Andoran

*curses out loud*

want it... now!

Osirion

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Modules Subscriber

I may be more excited about this product than any other on the schedule (other than the Pathfinder RPG itself, of course)...! Can't wait!

Grand Lodge

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Please please oh PLEASE do a great job on the mummy and werewolf! They get such the shaft in most games!


And hags too... :S

I know they were covered pretty well in Dragon, but I'm really looking forward to the Golarion versions :)

Taldor

I eagerly await seeing if Paizo can actually do something new with Ghosts, Vampires, and Werewolves. I'm even dialing my expectations down to being satisfied if Paizo can do something that isn't completely played out with regards to Vampires.

The rest should be fun, though! I've liked what's been done with Ghouls so far - a nice mix of Lovecraft and Gygax.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

cappadocius wrote:

I eagerly await seeing if Paizo can actually do something new with Ghosts, Vampires, and Werewolves. I'm even dialing my expectations down to being satisfied if Paizo can do something that isn't completely played out with regards to Vampires.

The rest should be fun, though! I've liked what's been done with Ghouls so far - a nice mix of Lovecraft and Gygax.

I'm not sure what you're looking for... ghosts and vampires and werewolves have a LOT of tradition behind them, and I'm 99% sure we'll be using tradition to focus our work on this book rather than trying to make new things for these creatures. It's the "Classic" line, after all, not the "Brand New" line.

RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32, 2010 Top 8

James Jacobs wrote:
cappadocius wrote:

I eagerly await seeing if Paizo can actually do something new with Ghosts, Vampires, and Werewolves. I'm even dialing my expectations down to being satisfied if Paizo can do something that isn't completely played out with regards to Vampires.

The rest should be fun, though! I've liked what's been done with Ghouls so far - a nice mix of Lovecraft and Gygax.

I'm not sure what you're looking for... ghosts and vampires and werewolves have a LOT of tradition behind them, and I'm 99% sure we'll be using tradition to focus our work on this book rather than trying to make new things for these creatures. It's the "Classic" line, after all, not the "Brand New" line.

Hmm, vampires...

Specific alergies (white ash stake vs generic wood stake)

Vampire detection (In Russian myth, a virgin boy riding a white horse could not walk over a vampire's grave for example)

Dhampires!

Taldor

James Jacobs wrote:

I'm not sure what you're looking for... ghosts and vampires and werewolves have a LOT of tradition behind them, and I'm 99% sure we'll be using tradition to focus our work on this book

There's traditions like counting every mustard seed scattered on one's door step, and being bloated and ruddy, and then there's traditions like pale, sexy people having homoerotic adventures and seducing (seducing!) teenaged girls.

One of these is played out, and the other is merely old school. I'm all for old school.

As for the last bit - I've been focusing on the "Revisited", rather than the "Classic". Clearly, editorial hasn't. I'll keep it in mind when reading this fella. Which I am totally stoked about, just to be clear.

Taldor

Matthew Morris wrote:


Vampire detection (In Russian myth, a virgin boy riding a white horse could not walk over a vampire's grave for example)

Ha! That's great, and I did not know that. Vampires before Stoker were wicked awesome. :)

Paizo Employee Editor-in-Chief

Mothman wrote:
Yeah ... 'cos we got some ideas for you Wes, if not.

Oh yeah? Do tell...

Paizo Employee Developer

F. Wesley Schneider wrote:
Mothman wrote:
Yeah ... 'cos we got some ideas for you Wes, if not.
Oh yeah? Do tell...

Uh oh. Wes is repeating himself.


Pathfinder Tales Subscriber

I find myself doing this ALL the time. Students...wife...offspring...
The hope is, eventually it will take.

Paizo Employee Developer

F. Wesley Schneider wrote:
Mothman wrote:
Yeah ... 'cos we got some ideas for you Wes, if not.
Oh yeah? Do tell...

Uh oh. Wes is repeating himself.


cappadocius wrote:


Ha! That's great, and I did not know that. Vampires before Stoker were wicked awesome. :)

Correction: vampires before Legosi were awesome. (and wicked).

Stoker's novel was impeccably researched in many ways. Surely, it spawned the romantic vampire trope, but it also spawned the film(s) Nosferatu.

I think there's a good way to reconcile the disparity between sexy vampires and undead monsters... there was a lot of sexuality in the folklore. But the seductive nature was always a veneer concealing a rotting abomination; none of this "twilight" nonsense.

The sexuality that vampires have in the folklore is not the enjoyable kind, which gives me hope because Paizo can tackle such issues. If they're brave enough to face topics such as...

Pathfinder #1

Spoiler:
Nualia's demonic miscarriage

...then they can have dead husbands return to assault their wives, and other spooky but authentic vampire stories.


Uzzy wrote:

Oh sweet merciful Desna, Seoni AND hot female Vampires/Succubi/chicks with wings and a tail on the cover? Awesome stuff.

I opened this thread today at work in a grumpy mood, trying to clear my mind of a staff problem.

After seeing the cover my facial expression must have changed from grave to very dreamy :-)

Seoni and equally scantily-dressed, hot Vampires/Succubi/chick with wings in a face-off. Ready to fight toe-to-toe, or not just toe-to-toe but also......

.....stops writing just before embarrassing himself and again gets a dreamy expression...

Cheliax

yoda8myhead wrote:
F. Wesley Schneider wrote:
Mothman wrote:
Yeah ... 'cos we got some ideas for you Wes, if not.
Oh yeah? Do tell...
Uh oh. Wes is repeating himself.

Nah, he's just milking us for ideas... or maybe he's fallen victim to a succubus, or something?

(My turn to repeat myself: Wes, I think Castle Odranto in Ustalav is a nice tribute to Walpole's gothic horror classic, and I'm glad you included it in there! :)

Paizo Employee Editor-in-Chief

Asgetrion wrote:
(My turn to repeat myself: Wes, I think Castle Odranto in Ustalav is a nice tribute to Walpole's gothic horror classic, and I'm glad you included it in there! :)

Nice catch! Ustalav is a gold mine/mine field of horror references, from classic literary references to modern horror film. I've got a ton written down, but I'm sure a few have already been lost to my own late night fuges.

As for expecting things both old and new, this "Classic X" book is going to be a bit different. It's one thing to write about the noble otyugh, with a history that goes back a whole 30 years, and quite another to tap into creatures of myth, some of which have oral histories stretching back far more than 300 years. If anything, I'm a traditionalist when it comes to my monsters - which is why you see so many "real world" monsters in Pathfinder's Bestiary. About half the monsters in here are creatures that have never been detailed to my satisfaction (what is gargoyle society like after all? Are ghosts all just wandering plot hooks?). That being said, I can assure that even the best read horror scholar doesn't know every angle of the hag, the mummy, or the vampire, so I'm sure we'll be able to give you something to cackle madly about in here, and maybe be slightly educational at the same time.


Pathfinder Tales Subscriber

Sigh...I wonder how many subscriptions I can get away with...


Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber
Matthew Morris wrote:

Hmm, vampires...

Specific alergies (white ash stake vs generic wood stake)

Vampire detection (In Russian myth, a virgin boy riding a white horse could not walk over a vampire's grave for example)

Dhampires!

Russian lore also had iron nail through the forehead instead of the stake through the heart thing. I used that once in a Ravenloft game. Surprise the heck out of my players when the Vampire pulled the stake out.


I want this book already!

I'm a bit worried since I'm not sure if/when I'll ever switch from 3.5e OGL to PFRPG, so I'm hoping the creatures are still extremely mechanically compatible.


toyrobots wrote:
cappadocius wrote:


Ha! That's great, and I did not know that. Vampires before Stoker were wicked awesome. :)

Correction: vampires before Legosi were awesome. (and wicked).

Stoker's novel was impeccably researched in many ways. Surely, it spawned the romantic vampire trope, but it also spawned the film(s) Nosferatu.

I think there's a good way to reconcile the disparity between sexy vampires and undead monsters... there was a lot of sexuality in the folklore. But the seductive nature was always a veneer concealing a rotting abomination; none of this "twilight" nonsense.

The sexuality that vampires have in the folklore is not the enjoyable kind, which gives me hope because Paizo can tackle such issues. If they're brave enough to face topics such as...

Pathfinder #1 ** spoiler omitted **

...then they can have dead husbands return to assault their wives, and other spooky but authentic vampire stories.

The thing is, Stoker researched a lot of Eastern vampire lore, but also integrated Irish Folklore too- The LenanShee (lit. Fairie Lover) would seduce young and talented men, slowly draining them of life force while they created their greatest works- a bit like a horrific muse. Like most fairies, it had the power to change appearance, both into beast and invisible. Or the Hungry Grass, a fairie curse where a home is surrounded by cursed fairie sod that causes that victims to starve and waste away, no matter how much they try and eat (protection granted, not surprisingly, by a hard boiled egg brought into the house from outside, well salted). Stoker also was born in the worst year of the Irish Famine (Black '47), so grew up in a country where the walking dead were still very much fresh in the memories of the nation.

Shadow Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
toyrobots wrote:
none of this "twilight" nonsense.

Take not a fan of "sparkly" vampires, hehehehe

I mean all the kids are into it, that means it's good

Cheliax

Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Wolf Munroe wrote:

I want this book already!

I'm a bit worried since I'm not sure if/when I'll ever switch from 3.5e OGL to PFRPG, so I'm hoping the creatures are still extremely mechanically compatible.

For monsters, what's to change? CMB is roughly equivalent to Grapple; Perception, Stealth, Acrobatics are the big three skill changes, and apparently the BAB - HD relationship is changing as for classes (according to Jason's first guest blog on dungeonaday.com) so just adjust by +/- 1 hp per HD for affected types...

Maybe a feat here or there, but otherwise, I really doubt there'll be significant changes, and even with what is affected, it's so minor in scope that is it even really necessary to rework a Pathfinder statblock to 3.5?

Osirion

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

If it's going to have zombies, that's all I need to know.

Osirion RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32

Aberzombie wrote:
If it's going to have zombies, that's all I need to know.

It'll even have a sidebar: How to use the Aberzombie in Golarion.


Pathfinder Tales Subscriber

"This stylish, androgynous yet over-sexed young zombie..."

Taldor

Questions!

1) Will the Derro chapter have at least a sidebar mentioning the Tero and the possibility of integrating them into one's game?

2) Will the Mummy chapter talk about how to use them in a world that doesn't have the very specific bodily resurrection concepts that led to "bandage" mummies in Egypt?

3) Will Kapoacinth have to share with the Gargoyles, or can I reasonably wait patiently for the possibility of an Aquatic Monsters revisited book?

4) Are we really cramming all three (four, if we count Night Hags) Hags into one chapter? Poor old biddies.


firbolg wrote:
The thing is, Stoker researched a lot of Eastern vampire lore, but also integrated Irish Folklore too- The LenanShee (lit. Fairie Lover) would seduce young and talented men, slowly draining them of life force while they created their greatest works- a bit like a horrific muse. Like most fairies, it had the power to change appearance, both into beast and invisible.
Quote:

I'd say that the closest comparison to "sexy Dracula" in Faerie folklore would be the ganconer -- a handsome young man who seduces young women and then slowly consumes their lives and souls until they literally die for their love of him.

firbolg wrote:
Or the Hungry Grass, a fairie curse where a home is surrounded by cursed fairie sod that causes that victims to starve and waste away, no matter how much they try and eat (protection granted, not surprisingly, by a hard boiled egg brought into the house from outside, well salted). Stoker also was born in the worst year of the Irish Famine (Black '47), so grew up in a country where the walking dead were still very much fresh in the memories of the nation.

The Hungry Grass sounds like a good twist to pull on PCs used to obvious monsters -- "I don't get it! Why are we starving to death? There's nothing here but some grass!"

And I've read some Irish folktales of the walking dead that weren't scary, including one suposed eyewitness acount from the 1910's or so as told by a very old man (who'd been a very young boy then) who remembered his dead and buried grandfather attending a party with the family. He even sat in the revenant's lap!

I liked one response to a question from the interviewer: "Weren't you scared?'

"Of me own grandpappy?"

*Note* I'm not saying I believe that story actually happened, I'm just reporting it. But imagine PCs cutting down a 'vile undead', only to face a lynch mob for killing a local respected ancestor...


cappadocius wrote:

Questions!

1) Will the Derro chapter have at least a sidebar mentioning the Tero and the possibility of integrating them into one's game?

A Shaver fan, are we?

Andoran

cappadocius wrote:

There's traditions like counting every mustard seed scattered on one's door step, and being bloated and ruddy, and then there's traditions like pale, sexy people having homoerotic adventures and seducing (seducing!) teenaged girls.

One of these is played out, and the other is merely old school. I'm all for old school.

As for the last bit - I've been focusing on the "Revisited", rather than the "Classic". Clearly, editorial hasn't. I'll keep it in mind when reading this fella. Which I am totally stoked about, just to be clear.

hey Carmilla is old school and... ah yes lesbian vampire I forgot that... but is even older than Dracula :P

but yes the homo erotic thing if i remember is modern fashion...

and yes I would liek to see something about Dhrampirs... they were the best hunters... they could take out their shirts and peer thrught them to find the Invisible Vampire

Cheliax

Speaking as an Eastern European - and from a nation that gave the name to vampires, Stoker did a terrible job with Dracula, and Hollywood even more so. For instance, original vampires did not have the pronounced fangs. Furthermore, not all wooden stakes are deadly to the vamps. Only blackthorn is. Etc.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

cappadocius wrote:
1) Will the Derro chapter have at least a sidebar mentioning the Tero and the possibility of integrating them into one's game?

I'm writing this chapter, and it'll have a sidebar about where Derro come from that's likely to mention the Tero, but since the D&D/Pathfinder version of Derro is quite different from the Shaver version, the Tero don't really have a place in the game. Still... there'll be something about the Tero in that "Where do derros come from?" sidebar. Of course, you could just check out the similar sidebar in "Into the Darklands" to see Teros mentioned.

Anyway, since Teros are much more human-like, you could probably just use humans for them in a game and change their societies as necessary to make them work. And maybe give them darkvision.

cappadocius wrote:
2) Will the Mummy chapter talk about how to use them in a world that doesn't have the very specific bodily resurrection concepts that led to "bandage" mummies in Egypt?

Wes is writing about mummies, but since mummies can come from bogs or glaciers or other naturally occuring methods, I suspect he will indeed mention them. That said, the ancient religious factors that shroud Egyptian mummies is really what makes them not zombies or wights or something. We'll see...

cappadocius wrote:
3) Will Kapoacinth have to share with the Gargoyles, or can I reasonably wait patiently for the possibility of an Aquatic Monsters revisited book?

Wes is also writing the gargoyle chapter, and he'll probably be focusing on the mythological history of the creature as a creepy castle lurker. Kapoacinth aren't really scary or classic, so I doubt they'll get much room in the book.

cappadocius wrote:
4) Are we really cramming all three (four, if we count Night Hags) Hags into one chapter? Poor old biddies.

Yup. As with the chapter on the walking dead (zombies), we'll be looking at the monster not as a specific creature but as their niche. There are lots of hags, but they all fill the same basic role in horror and in D&D, so we can talk about all of them collectively with ease. Similar to how we talked about trolls in Classic Monsters (there being a LOT of different types of trolls, and all).

1 to 50 of 235 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / paizo.com / Product Discussion / Pathfinder Chronicles: Classic Horrors Revisited (PFRPG) All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.