I've been tossing around ideas for a "Kid's Game" for some time. and thought I would source the world for some ideas, tips and thoughts.
My system of choice is 4e, but it can work for pretty much any game system. In a nutshell, the players go to an "Adventurer's College" where they learn to become, well, adventurers. They start off with 1/6th of their HP (maybe add CON for subdual damage to help out) and race abilities (only, they are untrained at best), a randomly determined stereotype (ex, "Popular Kid", "Loner", etc) and no class is established. They learn to develop their skills and abilities, the decisions they make help determine their class choice.
Our group has done this a couple of times before with great success (two of our favorite games to date)! My group is pretty old school and needs help breaking out of bad habits (see the first Lesson below). I figure the "Lessons" can help with this. I would also like to incorporate this into a long term AP or homebrew adventure to get the players interested in the setting.
As you can see, below, I have a few options that I am fleshing out. I would be interested in hearing your thoughts on what Lessons and Adventure Ideas everyone has. If you're interested in posting some ideas, feel free!
Any help is appreciated!
- Retreat - How and when to retreat
- Aid Another
- Initiative - The best to use initiative to your advantage
- Total Defense
- Movement - Strategic movement while in combat
- Healing and Dying - Each kid is given a ring while in classes. Minor enchantment that stablizes the person wearing it just before dying. Only can only be used within 20' of a healer with the master ring.
- Seeing & Targeting and Cover & Concealment
- Special Actions (Grab, Bull Rush, etc)
- Zombie Kids - An illusionist makes zombie versions of the kids and forces them to survive while holding out in their bunks.
- Wrongly Expelled - a schoolmate is blamed for a "crime" committed by someone else. Seek to clear their name.
- Dark Summoning - A student accidentally, or on purpose, summons a demon (something small). Figure out who did it and remove the demon.
- Relay race - Have a relay race (skill challenge) that is like a triathalon. Have a "weaker kid" be overcome by an obstacle (ex, hurt, drowning, etc). Use Wii Sports Resort and other games for ideas.
- A little crush - A student has a crush on one of the characters. If let down, the student becomes jilted and wants revenge. If approved, the student becomes obsessive. One of the attendees from a lower class becomes obsessed with one of the characters that proves fatal or becomes a possible villain later on.
- Camping Trip - The students are left to fend for themselves for a few days (lost on a field trip, or supervised by the teachers) and see how they do. Random nightly encounters.
- Timmy's Missing - Students hear noises and find out there is a break in and a child abducted.
- Lost - Students get left behind or turned around. Find your way back home.
- Finder's Keepers - One of the students found an item. What do they do with it?
- Royal Rumble - Exercise in team building. Based on the WWF "tourney" where a few start in the ring and must throw others out of the ring to disqualify them. Add additional entrants over time. Be the last to "survive."
- The Bogey Man - A malicious entity huants the students over time (progressively worse).
- Druid's domain - Have small woodland creatures attack the students. PCs must find out the reason why. The Druid is upset about the people being there and wants them to leave. If they can convince him they mean no harm and/or have him "work" for the school, major brownie points!
- Lord Amoung Us - Students find out that one of the students is a high noble. How do they react?
- Prom / Graduation Trouble - Throw the event as it should be, but have expelled students or trouble makers attempt to ruin the event.
- How's Your Luck? - A gypsy band travels through the area. Possible fortune telling and maybe a curse.
- Food Fight - A school cafeteria tussle involving food and chairs. Possibly using the WotC Inn Fighting game?
- Shields - A scene from the movie "Outlander" where a makeshift "floor" is made from shields and the student must fight another on the unstable surface, skill challenge.
- Ambassadors - A group of ambassadors from another area show up at the school for a week.
- Tooth Fairy - a half orc child still believes in the tooth fairy. However, this fairy is out for souls. Takes the souls of others and traps them in a tooth. Find the fairy and destroy the teeth to reclaim their souls.
- Lost Soul - The PCs are involved in trying to find a child that is lost. For future encounters, this student is never found and reappears as a ghost looking to find his way home.
- Wishing Well - An old abandoned well is found by one of the underclass students. Students go to see the well and someone makes a wish. A small demon grants the wish, but at a price.
- Challenge Games - Have challenges like the Most Extreme Elimination Challenges or American Gladiators
- Race you to the top! - Climb a pyramid and hope that you don't get knocked off
- Dorm modifications - Enhance the dorm as the players see fit. Could have a basement created for unknown purposes.