Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
About Paizo Messageboards News Paizo Blog Help/FAQ
Nidalese Shadow Piercers

spectrevk's page

Pathfinder Society Member. 643 posts (713 including aliases). 3 reviews. No lists. No wishlists. 11 Pathfinder Society characters.


RSS

1 to 50 of 643 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

Kalindlara wrote:
Is this what we're looking for?

Yep! The only threads I found were the one where Cheapy (who designed the class) stated that the ability had been removed in editing. Thanks!


Hmm. I don't see anything in the ACG FAQ, and the only forum posts I've found indicate that the ability isn't supposed to exist. Any idea where you saw it added back in?


I've long thought that the Ecclesitheurge is a poor archetype, but that's not what this is about. Rather, it's about the archetype's entry in the PRD. Under "Ecclesitheurge's Vow", it says:

Quote:
An ecclesitheurge who wears prohibited armor or uses a prohibited shield is unable to use his blessing of the faithful ability, use cleric domain powers, or cast cleric spells.

The problem is that there is no such thing as a "blessing of the faithful" ability in the archetype description, or in the class description of the Cleric. Is this missing class ability the thing that makes the archetype worth taking? Because as it stands you give up armor, shields, your deity's favored weapon, and 1d6 of channeling in exchange for a slightly less limited domain spell list and a bonded holy symbol.

Does anyone know what blessing of the faithful is, and when/if it's getting added back in? Or if it was intended to be removed, when the language on the PRD will be corrected?


Confession: I think that Channeling is a pretty useful class ability, and provides a non-trivial amount of healing to a party.

Also, I think DPR is trending too high, which is why so many of the more "traditional" classes now seem underpowered in comparison.


1. They only tried to get around it once, but that was enough. They weren't actually supposed to fight that thing yet, and many of them were squishy.

2. They died fighting a Large-sized man-bat, and never encountered the dragon. I believe the flaming sphere would have killed the creature, however.


I GM'd a somewhat humorous TPK in Dragon's Demand that I detailed in another thread. To sum it up in brief:

The group was investigating an abandoned monastery that they suspected was the home of a dragon. The Ranger decided to separate from the party a bit to listen at a stairwell, and heard something, so he went upstairs. The rest of the group, not wanting to spread themselves too thin, went after him.

They were ambushed by a giant bat-thing with a big sword, and lost initiative to it. The Witch tried to outflank the creature and was dropped by an AoO, then (in an ironically bad attempt at metagaming) assumed that the creature didn't have Combat Reflexes, and told the rest of the group it was safe to move around it.

It wasn't. The resulting AoOs tore the party to shreds, especially since their usual tank, the Ranger, went down early from a full-attack. The Druid lived the longest, and managed to kite the damn thing almost long enough to survive, but died a round before her Flaming Sphere could have finished it off.

So basically, they all died of the Ranger's curiosity, to a giant bat with a glass sword.


mourge40k wrote:
spectrevk wrote:
mourge40k wrote:
spectrevk wrote:

It's not really that big of a deal, since their CHA bonus *replaces* the other bonuses, rather than adding to it like the Paladin's CHA to saves bonus. It also takes up a Revelation you could be using for something else.

And really, it's not like there are many other good reasons to be a Nature Oracle. CHA to AC/CMD is about all they have going for them.

Also, how are Oracles getting CHA to init and saves?

For Initiative, there's Noble Scion. Specifically, it's Scion of War. For saves, it's Divine Protection

Also, that's why you should be a Lunar Oracle instead, and pick up a tiger animal companion.

Ah, I see. Those feats can be taken by anyone, though; I thought he was talking about a specific Oracle Revelation.

In any case, I know the popular sentiment on the boards is that in-combat healing is gauche or unnecessary, but I've yet to play in, run for, or witness a Pathfinder group that didn't require in-combat healing to keep them alive. These theoretical all-gunslinger massive damage parties may exist, but I've never seen one in the wild.

I wish Oracles were actually a bit better at sustainable healing, because while Clerics are awesome at keeping low-level parties alive, they're incredibly boring to play.

Ignoring the fact that you could use a standard action to try and kill someone real quick to address the whole in-combat healing thing.... Literally pretty much everything a Life Shaman would get for healing comes from the Life Oracle, and Oracles hilariously outheal Clerics if they go life. Add in that the Oracle literally gets cure spells for free, and more slots per day.... Yeah, I don't know how you reached the conclusion you did.

Life Oracles aren't the only type of Oracle, for starters, and they aren't on the list of Mysteries that get to add CHA to any of their other stats, either. And being that good at healing leaves them with little in the way of other abilities (buffing, undead killing, etc). A Cleric gets to be good at healing, can spontaneously cast healing spells, *and* gets two domans (and their domain spell slots) without having to take a drawback. Non-life Oracles don't even get channeling.

Also, if you can consistently kill a creature with a single standard action as an alternative to healing, then your GM isn't really doing their job in terms of challenge level.


mourge40k wrote:
spectrevk wrote:

It's not really that big of a deal, since their CHA bonus *replaces* the other bonuses, rather than adding to it like the Paladin's CHA to saves bonus. It also takes up a Revelation you could be using for something else.

And really, it's not like there are many other good reasons to be a Nature Oracle. CHA to AC/CMD is about all they have going for them.

Also, how are Oracles getting CHA to init and saves?

For Initiative, there's Noble Scion. Specifically, it's Scion of War. For saves, it's Divine Protection

Also, that's why you should be a Lunar Oracle instead, and pick up a tiger animal companion.

Ah, I see. Those feats can be taken by anyone, though; I thought he was talking about a specific Oracle Revelation.

In any case, I know the popular sentiment on the boards is that in-combat healing is gauche or unnecessary, but I've yet to play in, run for, or witness a Pathfinder group that didn't require in-combat healing to keep them alive. These theoretical all-gunslinger massive damage parties may exist, but I've never seen one in the wild.

I wish Oracles were actually a bit better at sustainable healing, because while Clerics are awesome at keeping low-level parties alive, they're incredibly boring to play.


It's not really that big of a deal, since their CHA bonus *replaces* the other bonuses, rather than adding to it like the Paladin's CHA to saves bonus. It also takes up a Revelation you could be using for something else.

And really, it's not like there are many other good reasons to be a Nature Oracle. CHA to AC/CMD is about all they have going for them.

Also, how are Oracles getting CHA to init and saves?


We seem to be getting a lot of this thread lately. Theme-wise, I think Oracles are a bit more fun than Clerics, and the combination of Mysteries and Curses makes them a bit more varied.

Mechanically, they have some problems, especially when compared to Clerics (who are superior healers and anti-undead measures), and Shamans (who are superior in every way).


Anzyr wrote:
spectrevk wrote:
In all fairness though, the ACG is where game balance goes to die :)
Uh... it's more balanced then the CRB. It only has 2 Tier 1 classes. And only 1 Tier 5 (alas poor swashbuckler). The rest are all solidly tier 3-4. Albeit not nearly as well edited.

In the CRB, every class has a "thing", and the other classes generally don't horn in on their "thing" too badly.

Bloodrager is just better than Barbarian.

Slayer is just better than Rogue.

Investigator is also just better than Rogue.

Brawler, the "unarmed fighter" class, is arguably better with weapons than a Fighter due to Martial Flexibility and Brawler's Cunning.

The power level in ACG is (mostly) internally consistent, but it's inarguably higher than anything in the CRB or APG, with the notable exceptions of the Wizard and APG Summoner. If you're running ARG classes and aren't steamrolling standard PF scenarios/APs, you're doing something horribly wrong.


In all fairness though, the ACG is where game balance goes to die :)


Cleric is numerically a better class, hands-down. It does everything you want in a Divine caster better than the other Divine classes do. But it's kind of dull to play, because all it does is beatstick with a Rogue's BAB, and cast Divine spells.

Oracles are a more interesting class to play. In exchange for giving up two domains and channeling, you get to pick your own menu of flavorful class features and a "flaw" that gradually gives you a minor benefit in the long run. You can actually play an armor-less Oracle if you wanted to. It's not a *great* idea, but it's more doable than an armor-less Cleric, and again, very flavorful depending on the Mystery that you choose.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

So, I originally bought Unchained for the class fixes, but hadn't had time to really dig into it until recently. I really like the Background Skill option, but I'm a bit torn regarding Group Skills and Consolidated Skills.

I realize that there is an option to combine them, with with the suggested adjustments, leaves low-level characters with one skill group, regardless of class, which doesn't quite seem right.

What I like about Consolidated Skills is that it leaves characters feeling more "complete", and able to do things that I would expect them to be able to do given their specialty. What I don't like about it is having to educate my players on all of the updated skill descriptions, which are only available in a book that none of them own since it hasn't been added to the PRD yet.

What I like about Group Skills is that it doesn't change the way the skills themselves work, while still giving players more bang for their skill point buck. This is particularly a concern if you run a lot of APs, as failing knowledge skill checks can grind the investigative portion of an adventure to a halt and force some rather blatant coincidences to get the players back on track. What I don't like about Group Skills is that because players only gain expertise in a few areas, it seems like characters would be less rounded, and thus, less interesting.

Has anyone put either of these systems (or both?) into practice yet? What were your results like?


1 person marked this as a favorite.
FLite wrote:

Taking without permission is not always chaotic. However reposession is a bad example of this. In reposession the person doing the reposession has permission to do so (laid out in the original contract.) Taking without permission may be lawful in some lands (where the laws say a certain person cannot own property) but that wouldn't be stealing.

Likewise, killing may not be evil. Killing in self defense, or in active defense of another for example. But killing after all opponents have been disabled, is not killing in self defense, you have other ways to protect people, killing the guy is just the most convenient way. So you are killing for convenience, which is evil.

It may be justified by his actions, so it is a justified evil act, which means in isolation it is not enough to shift your alignment, but it is still an evil act. That just means you have grounds for arguing that it is a lawful evil act.

Again, you are mistaking your personal views for objective facts. Stop that.


FLite wrote:

Sleight of hand also doesn't state that stealing from others is a chaotic act, what is your point?

What is your point here? Stealing isn't always a chaotic act either. Have you never heard of repossession?


DeVega wrote:
spectrevk wrote:


He's only 3rd level, so no reduction in armor penalties for him.
Chainmail has the biggest acp out of medium armor at -5 mw makes it -4. Heavy shield is -2 mw makes it -1. -5 total. No fighter specialness was included in these maths.

None of his armor is masterwork.

In any case, the ladder had been thrown down from a different tree than the one he needed to access. So reaching the ladder, moving the ladder, and then climbing up the ladder couldn't possibly have been done in two rounds.


DeVega wrote:
spectrevk wrote:
As for violating "don't be a jerk", we passed that point sometime around the time that the GM decided that heavily-encumbered fighters climb ladders at the speed of light.

I have no idea if you GM was cheating or not, but a fighter in medium armor with a shield is probably only taking a -5 from armor checks at higher levels (assuming masterwork gear). So they can choose the accelerated climb option (-5 on the check) and still take 10 to beat the dc0 check to climb a ladder 10ft per move action. This is assuming a str mod of 0 and no ranks in climb.

He's only 3rd level, so no reduction in armor penalties for him.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

...none of which state that performing a Coup de Grace is an evil act.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
FLite wrote:

Killing someone who has surrendered or been incapacitated is an evil act.

The fact that he is a mass murderer doesn't make it less evil, it just means you are descending to his level to resolve the problem. However it is a good justification for your to decide that getting rid of him is worth the 500 gp to pay for an atonement to get forgiveness for the evil act.

The fact that it is a one time thing may mean that your other good deeds balance it out and that you don't need to pay for an atonement.

The fact that the other player is not a good role player has absolutely no bearing on whether this is an evil act or not.

Your opinion on good and evil has no real relevance to the PFS interpretation of how the alignment system works.

The other details were provided for the sake of context (as my motives were being called into question by you and others), nothing more.


As for violating "don't be a jerk", we passed that point sometime around the time that the GM decided that heavily-encumbered fighters climb ladders at the speed of light.


Victor Zajic wrote:
trollbill wrote:


Clearly you have problems with the person playing the fighter. I would recommend you talk this issue out with that person rather than resort to passive-aggressive tactics such as deliberately sabotaging him.

This is the real problem here.

Pathfinder is a team game, and your character has explicit orders from the Society to cooperate with his team. If you can't play well with others than you should play a different game.

Racing to see if one PC can tie up the enemy before another PC kills it is not acceptable behavior. Putting the GM in the middle of this situation is in amazingly poor taste. Talk it out like adults and come to a Mutal decision.

And if the fighter was taking a prisoner to complete a faction card objective, you killing the prisoner is explicitly against the rules. Both the PVP rule and the Don't Be A Jerk rule. The rules don't protect your right to kill whomever you please, but they do protect someone from having another player deliberately sabatoge their faction missions.

That being said, I don't think you can so cleanly seperate your out of character motivations with your characters motivations. I don't buy the arguement all that you wanted to get a hit in because you were frustrated, but your character only had the most noble intentions.

Killing a helpless opponent, without consulting your allies, and knowing it is against the wishes of one of them, goes way above "just killing". It is getting really close to killing just for the sake of killing, and if I were the GM, I also would have counted it as an evil action.

Coup-de-grace is not always an evil action, but in this situation the GM is well within their rights to say it counts as one. Puting him in the situation to have to make this ruling is a mean-spirited thing to do to a volunteer judge.

To be clear:

1. The fighter, who has a history of not being cooperative and mostly being concerned with himself, made a decision to capture alive without discussing it. The main reason I dislike him is that he's an incredibly selfish player and character who has left me holding the bag repeatedly.

2. Of the group, only the Cleric agreed with the Fighter. The two of them argued so long, however, that others gave up just to move on. I'm guilty of being persistent, in this case.

3. The fighter had no in-character reason to capture alive. He's not a member of the Silver Crusade. He has never attempted to complete any faction quests, or roleplay in any way, shape, or form. He has a single catchphrase that he spouts whenever he drops an enemy.

4. Realistically, nobody stabilized the prisoner, so he should have died anyway.

5. Realistically, it is impossible that the fighter set up the ladder and reached the target before I did.

6. As has been explained elsewhere, the target was a mass-murderer.


We had a long(ish) conversation about it; there was no effect on any secondary success condition. The reporting simply asked if he was captured/killed or escaped.

The sheer ridiculousness of this fighter becoming the Flash to save the "life" of an enemy NPC with no story significance is mind-boggling. I normally don't consider myself bloodthirsty, but after the experience, I kind of want to kill every humanoid possible the next time he runs.


Acedio wrote:

There's no argument being made for it being a good action, just a question of whether its an evil action.

Typically killing helpless opponents who have no practical way of threatening you in the future leans towards evil, but I think an argument could be made for it to be a neutral action if there's the right justification.

I don't think the reasoning of "I want to get the last hit" would really qualify as neutral though.

That was my reason, not the characters. In-character, the enemy was a member of the Aspis Consortium, had attacked a peaceful village, and was in the process of torturing its elders when we interrupted. If left alive, he would likely escape with the Consortium's help, and hurt/kill more people. Also, we were well outside any recognized legal jurisdiction, so this wasn't even an unlawful killing.


Jessex wrote:
spectrevk wrote:
Jessex wrote:

Murdering helpless sentient beings is evil. What is so hard to understand?

Quoting the Core Rulebook "Good implies altruism, respect for life, and a concern for the dignity of sentient beings. Good characters make personal sacrifices to help others."

Killing an evil man before he can kill again is a sacrifice I was willing to make. Besides, retributive justice isn't Evil in Golarion, it's Neutral. Otherwise Callistria would be a Chaotic Evil deity, not a Chaotic Neutral one.
I quoted the rulebook on the subject. You can argue all you want but it won't change a thing.

So did I. Callistria's alignment is a matter of RAW in the Core Rulebook. Nowhere in the passage you quoted does it state that a Coup de Grace is Evil.


5 people marked this as a favorite.
Jessex wrote:

Murdering helpless sentient beings is evil. What is so hard to understand?

Quoting the Core Rulebook "Good implies altruism, respect for life, and a concern for the dignity of sentient beings. Good characters make personal sacrifices to help others."

Killing an evil man before he can kill again is a sacrifice I was willing to make. Besides, retributive justice isn't Evil in Golarion, it's Neutral. Otherwise Callistria would be a Chaotic Evil deity, not a Chaotic Neutral one.


Thefurmonger wrote:

Your pissed that your GM made it hard for you to murder a helpless person?

Not judging..... just checking.

A person who tried to kill us, was going to kill/torture a group of innocent people, and who was presumably going to be hung for his crimes regardless. And who was part of the Aspis Consortium, anyway.


Nebten wrote:

Thoughts:

As a high level rogue player, rogues need to set up their own flanks.

With regards to CdG being an Evil Act, this has been done to death already in another thread. Seek and ye' shall find.

That was one example. My point is that he actively anti-cooperates with positioning. I've gone as far as taking risks to tumble into position for flanks, only to have him intentionally move out of them to flank with the Wizard.

Yes, the Wizard.


I was at a core game last night. I'll leave out any story spoilers, but long story short, after a fight around some trees/treehouses, our fighter (who already never @#%^@ing sets up any flanks for my Rogue, and has previously left my archer Ranger to hold the front line and protect squishies) brings down the last guy, a clearly bad dude, about a round before I could catch up to him to get a strike in.

Bear in mind I was already in the trees, as a fairly acrobatic Halfling Rogue, and one of the rope bridges had been cut. The ladders that would have been used to climb more easily had been thrown down by the bad guys.

All I wanted was to at least get in a final cut on this jerk. The Fighter unilaterally decides he's going to tie him up...while he's on the g$&+*%n ground. The GM, who tends to lean towards non-lethal when he plays, seems to favor this plan, and has us "race". In addition to screwing me on an acrobatics/climb combined roll to find an alternate path avoiding the rope bridge, he also somehow rules that this fighter, weighed down in medium armor, with a g!@*@~n bastard sword and a heavy steel shield, manages to collect the ladder, move the ladder, set it up, climb it, and reach the fallen enemy fast enough that we have to roll off initiative to see who gets there first.

By comparison, all I had to do was make two 10-foot jumps, one of which involved grabbing onto a tree.

THEN, he insists that I can't possibly stab the guy while the fighter is tying him up, and that doing so would count as an Evil Act. The fighter, meanwhile, doesn't even really have a goal here; first he wants to turn him over to one authority, then the other. There's no mechanical difference in rewards if we capture or kill in this scenario. I'm pretty sure the GM's ruling falls outside of what is normally considered an "Evil Act", and I'm also pretty sure that there's no way I could have lost that race to the Fighter in the first place due to action economy.

Any thoughts?


does this affect Core characters at all?


Is this a reprint of the earlier Andoran book, or completely separate?


The Headband of Stupidity is a cursed item, but not one that states that it is "stuck" on the victim. It does, however, state that the victim doesn't realize that it's making them stupid, and will believe anything no matter how stupid it sounds.

How would you handle this in play? Most players would just take it off unless there's a mechanical reason not to. Should the GM just secretly apply the intelligence and knowledge check penalties?


John Compton wrote:
He is able to learn those languages, thanks to a blog clarification we made soon after announcing the Core Campaign.

Just so I understand, the expanded choices are only available for the single language I gain from a rank in linguistics, rather than from my intelligence bonus? Or would I have the option of being a Halfling from, say, Rahadoum who speaks Osiriani as one of her bonus languages?


I'm working on a Halfling Rogue for a PFS Core game in my area, and I'm a bit confused about my options for bonus languages (INT 14, 1 rank in Linguistics). Halflings start with Common and Halfling, and the Core rulebook gives them the options of Elven, Dwarven, Gnome, and Goblin. The Pathfinder guide to organized play states that all characters can also choose from languages listed in the Inner Sea World Guide, but in the Core Campaign only the Core rulebook, Traits web enhancement, and stuff explicitly listed in the organized play guide are legal.

So is my Halfling unable to speak or learn Skald, Osiriani, Hallit, etc?


I thought it might fit here since its related to a rule issue in the AP.


I'm running a group through the Mummy's Mask AP, and they're currently on the second book, nearing the end. There's a new mechanic introduced for the "Panic Level" of the city; throughout the first part of the adventure, there are ways to lower this panic level, which otherwise will gradually rise if nothing is done. The thing is, there are no ways to lower the panic level further once the group enters the Necropolis, but the book isn't clear about whether the Panic Level continues to rise during this period.

Have there been any clarifications about this? Does the panic level in Wati stop rising once the PCs enter the Necropolis?


What about Droogami?


Hmm. Interesting concept; have you considered using Enlarge Person as a melee damage buff for this build?


Has anyone played around with the Serpentine bloodline much? I think the idea is interesting, and the mental image of a sorcerer with an involuntary tongue flick is kind of hilarious. But how to make it viable as a build? The ability to affect animals, magical beasts, and monstrous humanoids with mind-affecting, language-dependent spells is nice, but the rest of the lower-level abilities are kind of mediocre.

Fangs? Low damage, low-DC poison, only usable a limited number of times per day. Compared to, say, the elemental rays that an Elemental Sorcerer gets, this isn't that useful.

Serpentfriend? An under-leveled viper familiar, and the ability to speak with reptiles at will. How often does anybody have a good reason to speak to reptiles?

+1AC and 9th level? I'm just not seeing it.

So, what are some good ways to make this concept work?


Have to admit, the anticipation is killing me. Good luck everyone.


Chaotic Good Bloodrager, Abyssal bloodline.


Should my dark secret be darker?


I'm hoping I get picked for this one. I've been wanting to make my way through Carrion Crown, and the last game I was hit hit disaster due to party/GM issues.

My thinking is that Sonja can fill an occult/support role, casting spells, providing knowledge, and helping to keep the party alive between encounters. Currently her hexes are heavy on support, but I'd like to pick up some debuffs as she levels up so that she can contribute more to combat as well.

Background:

Sonja was born in Lepidstadt to Aleksander Kulov and his first wife, an elf named Luellia. Sonja was an isolated child due to her half-elven heritage, but living in the (somewhat) more cosmopolitan city of Lepidstadt spared her of the worst of Ustalav's xenophobia. She was a keen student and a voracious reader, and quickly rose in prominence as a scholar of history. Her family assumed that she would never amount to much more than an obscure scholar, and hoped that she might meet a suitable husband during her studies.

During a field trip to retrieve obscure family records from an abandoned manor house in the hinterlands, Sonja disappeared. A search party was sent after her when she didn't return, and they found her in a vegetative state, apparently poisoned by some type of exotic spider. She awoke as soon as they removed her from the manor house, but claimed to have no knowledge of what had happened to her, or why the dusty floor of the house showed none of her footprints.

She recovered quickly, but never spoke of her trip to the manor to anyone. Her studies became wider in scope, covering not only history but old, forgotten lore. It was during this time, when her interest turned towards the occult, that she became aware of Professor Lorrimor. He seemed fearless, and possessed an immense knowledge about the stranger aspects of the world. Sonja hoped to insinuate herself as a research assistant to him after defending her dissertation, and the professor had seemed to be considering the idea. Shortly thereafter, he died mysteriously in Ravengro.


Dark Secret:

The spider that bit Sonja was, of course, her familiar. She believes that the bite transported her to the spirit world, and her studies have been an attempt to learn more about what happened to her, and how she might return to the spirit world for further study. During the early stages of learning about magic, she experimented with charming some of the university staff, which led to her present position as a lecturer.

Assistant Professor Sonja Kulov 105gp
Female Half-Elf Witch (Spirits patron)

STR 08
DEX 13
CON 14
INT 18
WIS 12
CHA 12

HP: 8
AC 15, Touch 11, Flat 14
Fort +2, Ref +1, Will +3

Spirits: 2nd—ghostbane dirge, 4th—invisibility, 6th—speak with dead, 8th—spiritual ally, 10th—mass ghostbane dirge, 12th—shadow walk, 14th—ethereal jaunt, 16th—planar ally, 18th—etherealness.

Familiar: Spider (+3 Climb)

Skills
Climb +2
Craft (alchemy) +8
Heal +5
Knowledge (arcana) +8
Knowledge (history) +8
Knowledge (planes) +8
Perception +7
Spellcraft +8

Traits: Inspired by Greatness (Mage Armor), Possessed

Feats: Extra Hex, Skill Focus: Perception

Hexes: Healing, Ward

Spells Known: Burning Hands, Charm Person, Cure Light Wounds, Mage Armor, Unseen Servant, Comprehend Languages, Sleep

Spells Prepared
0: Detect Magic, Guidance, Light
1: Mage Armor, Sleep


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Imbicatus wrote:
spectrevk wrote:
Who is there no love for the Fighter (archer archetype) in this thread? Full BAB plus cool tricks like ranged disarm.

Because it makes it so you can't use Gloves of Dueling, you lose Armor Training which actually does something with the high dex needed for archery, and ranged maneuvers are terrible and are replicated by targeting feats in the Ranged Tactics Toolbox. It's a strict downgrade to a CRB fighter.

Ah, that's a real shame. I hadn't checked out the Ranged Tactics Toolbox. I hate it when they make their own previous products obsolete, though.


Who is there no love for the Fighter (archer archetype) in this thread? Full BAB plus cool tricks like ranged disarm.


Wouldn't an all-Goblin team fit much, much worse? The people of Sandpoint *hate* goblins, and with good reason: they are under constant attack from the local Goblin tribe. In fact, that's literally the first combat encounter.

On the other hand, Kobolds aren't particularly common on the Lost Coast, or even Varisia in general. A group of traveling kobolds might reasonably be treated with suspicion, but not outright hatred, assuming they behave themselves.

Of slightly greater concern is that kobolds are (mechanically speaking) one of the worst races in Pathfinder, and RotRL really doesn't pull any punches once you hit the Skinsaw Murders, and it only gets worse from there. The Hook Mountain Massacre would be a challenge for any small-sized party, but for kobolds, it could easily be a bloodbath.


Ian Bell wrote:
Shield bonuses don't stack.

Aw...for a minute there I actually felt clever :(


I'm curious; two-weapon defense says that it requires you to be wielding two weapons, and doesn't work unarmed or with natural weapons. However, shields do appear on the list of martial weapons, they're in the Close Weapons group for Fighters, and you can use Two-Weapon Fighting with a shield, so...it seems like this would work. Combined with Shield focus, you could get as much as +4AC from your shield, unless Shield bonuses don't stack.


Ah well, struck out twice today. Have fun, everyone.


I've decided to go with a bit of a tie-in to Ameiko's family troubles in Rise of the Runelords; if this won't work for you, I'm happy to change some things around. In short, Asako is from the same monastery that Tsuto was sent to, but arrived in Sandpoint too late to stop him, and has been trying to make it up to Ameiko since then.

Background:
Asako was raised in a monastery not far from Sandpoint. The monks tell her that her mother was the daughter of a traveling merchant from Minkai who became pregnant after a torrid (and disastrous) affair with an Elven vagabond. The monks were kind enough to Asako, but also cold, and it was quite lonely for her to be the only half-elf she knew.

All of this changed the day that a sullen, angry young man named Tsuto Kaijitsu was sent to live at the monastery by his father. Tsuto was about the same age as Asako, and also an half-elf, but the two could not have been more different. Tsuto was bitter towards his father, and he trained with the intensity of a boy preparing for revenge. Asako was more serene, and viewed their martial exercises as a pleasant diversion from the dull routine of monastic life. They became friends for a time, until Tsuto's need for revenge led him to return to Sandpoint; he was hurt when Asako declined to join him, and they left on bad terms. A few days later, she began having disturbing dreams about Tsuto, and set out to find him. Sadly by the time she tracked him to Sandpoint, he had already murdered his father and died in the chaos that followed. Asako found his sister, Ameiko Kaijitsu, and the two women bonded over their shared heartbreak at Tsuto's tragic choices and violent death. Asako found little reason to return to the monks, and Ameiko needed help cleaning up the old Glassworks, so Asako stayed and the two of them have become close friends. In Ameiko, Asako has found the same adventurous spirit that she had loved in Tsuto, but without the bitterness and hatred that soured their relationship. Life outside of the monastery has agreed with Asako, and she is gradually becoming more outgoing and friendly.

stats:

STR 10
DEX 16
CON 12
INT 10
WIS 16
CHA 08

AC 16 Touch 16 Flat 13
HP 09
Fort +3, Ref +3, Will +5 (+2 vs enchantment spells and effects)

ATTACK
Unarmed +3 (1d6)

SKILLS
Diplomacy (Cha) +8, Knowledge (religion) (Int) +4, Perception +5, Sense Motive (Wis) +7

FEATS
Weapon Finesse (unarmed), Skill Focus (Diplomacy)

TRAITS
Best Friend (Ameiko) +2 Diplomacy
Sacred Touch: As a standard action, you may automatically stabilize a dying creature merely by touching it.

SPELLS
0: Light, Guidance, Resistance
1: Cure Light Wounds, Divine Favor

SPECIAL ABILITIES
Healing Blessing (minor) - Empower any Cure spell (+50%) as a swift action
Aura (Lawful)
Low-Light Vision
Elf Blood

GEAR
Monk's Kit 8gp
Monk's Outfit
Cold-Iron Kama 4gp
Cold-Iron Dagger 4gp
2 Potions of Cure Light Wounds 100gp

1 to 50 of 643 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

©2002–2015 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.