Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
About Paizo Messageboards News Paizo Blog Help/FAQ
Silver Dragon

leo1925's page

5,085 posts. 20 reviews. 3 lists. 1 wishlist.


1 to 50 of 201 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | next > last >>

1 person marked this as a favorite.

I am one of those that is tired of always starting at level 1*, sure for some adventures it's required (like RotRL) and i do enjoy the occasional "from zero to hero" but i am tired of always starting as the squire instead of the knight, as the apprentice wizard instead of a full wizard, as the guardsman instead of the man-at-arms, as the temple initiate instead of the temple priest; the PCs at level 1 are practically nobodies, sure the future has great (even legendary) things in store for them but that doesn't change the fact that they start out as nothing.

*or level 2 but the fact that level 1 PCs are made of paper is another issue


2 people marked this as a favorite.
PFWiki Scribe wrote:
Sometime between when he defeated Tar-Baphon and the Shining Crusade. I believe that's as specific as the canon has gotten.

Clarification:

When he defeated Tar-Baphon as a mortal(ish) necromancer, not Tar-Baphon as a lich. Aroden didn't fight* Tar-Baphon as a lich.

*the reasons for this are unkown but there are plentiful theories going around.

Deighton Thrane wrote:
The year 1, he raised the Starstone (creating the isle of Kortos with it) and became a living god. Can't say I know for the Starfall Doctrine though.

Wasn't year 0?

Ylem wrote:
I've heard it said that he ascended (to Heaven or wherever) after the creation of Absalom.

Axis, not Heaven. Aroden (at least as a deity) was LN and not LG, in fact after his death his personal domain in Axis belongs to Milani.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I went out of my way* to kill a PC only once and that because i really wanted THAT TRAP in shattered star book 2 to activate, i felt that the players would like that and add to the campaign.

*when i say out of my way i mean that the incubus continued his full attack (made his second attack) against the female barbarian who dropped after a critical on his first attack.

The one time i was b%&+%ing about my character dying was in a 3.5 game, sure resurrection magic was available but it was the 3rd or 4th death of my character and all of them was because of another very stupid PC who put the party in danger and caused PC deaths over and over.

In general i am ok with character death, i am more concerned about the continuation and the damage caused to the narrative of the story when resurrection magic isn't available or when the player wants to change his character because of a character death (usually mid campaign with no warning).


1 person marked this as a favorite.
James Jacobs wrote:
leo1925 wrote:
Karui Kage wrote:
I wouldn't let make whole or greater make whole work on advanced technology. The major cap on abusing the power of tech comes from its limited use, allowing a PC to circumvent that with a relatively low level spell seems wrong.

Ehmmm....

Greater make whole was made for repairing advanced technology (just not timeworn), the fact that it's a great tool for repairing a destroyed magic item.

Ehmmm...

The fact that, as written, the core's make whole won't let you repair a magic item with a caster level of 11 or higher is a flaw in the spell's design, and so I invented greater make whole to fix that flaw and allow for the quick repair of higher level magic items. The fact that it showed up in the Technology Guide was happy circumstance—I'd been looking for a place to get the spell into the system and this book was a PERFECT fit with its focus on items anyway.

But yeah... the spell was intended to repair ALL items, but it's primary reason to exist and the reason I built it in the first place was indeed to be something to fix magic items that other spells could not.

Ok i didn't know that, i was wrong in my previous post (also i forgot to add a "it's just gravvy" in the end of my post).

I just assumed that since the "repairs destroyed magic items with a CL up to half yours" was intented, especially since this was a change over 3.5's make whole.
How come this wasn't errata'd during some of the many core rulebook reprints?

PS. Since i now the intent behind the make whole and greater make whole then that means that i can stop forcing my players to travel to Numeria in order to get their destroyed magic items restored, i can just allow them to learn greater make whole.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Im happy to announce that my WotR campaing has finally come to an end. My players succesfully closed the worldwound and saved the world. But more importantly, me and my players had some awesome fights and some awesome moments that we wouldnt have them if it wasnt for @Sc8rpi8n_mjd 's statblocks. We all thank you for your amazing work and the time you spend and I salute you as it must have been really difficult for you to make those statblocks.

Im planning to write a journal of the campaing for those who are interested. If you are planning to use those statblocks you can look up to it and see how my average to high optimized players managed to defeat everything that stood in their way.

Once again, thank you @Sc8rpi8n_mjd !!!


2 people marked this as a favorite.

There is a very good reason for the technology guide being in the PRD and that reason is for allowing people to play the Iron Gods without being required to also buy the technology guide. I did buy the technology guide but I really appreciate the fact that Paizo did such thing.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

@The Numerator

Well i understand how it might work for you but there are some people like me that the new deal is considerable worse than the current one.
I wouldn't benefit at all from the increased market because not a lot of people read book in english and even less of them read fantasy novels and even less read from an electronic format, so i wouldn't get what you are describing about meeting people who knew about the novels and could talk about them with them.
I also contend with the size of the books and the quality of the paper as it is now but i can understand the need for better quality paper (and font size!!!) and i would be happy to pay a little more for the increased quality (and the slightly increased shipping that comes with it).
I can understand why Paizo wants to increase the market of the novels, i also understand how that might increase the market for the game as well, it just doesn't sit very well with me that i (the current customer of both the novels and the game) have to pay for that.
But as it seems now i would be paying more (considerable more if it turns out that the 15% discount from AP subscription won't apply anymore) for something i didn't want/need and getting considerable less (no epub version of the book). As it is now i will seriously consider dropping my subscription and only buying the novels that really want to buy (mostly the Sutter and Dave Gross ones) from wherever it's cheaper to do so in whatever format i can afford at the time.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Lord Fyre wrote:

Now that the heavy lifting has been done ...

... Is it time for Paizo to create a Science Fiction (or Space Opera) variant of Pathfinder?

I would be ok with a space opera AP.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Ok I TOTALLY missed that. Thanks for pointing that out both of you. Problem solved!

@Kalindlara, yes Im the GM :P

My party is semi to high optimized. They are pretty strong and well-built but they just arent using everything they have in their arsenal because they manage... somehow...

They are:
Human Paladin of Iomedae Guardian
Human Cleric of Iomedae Hierophant
Tiefling Rogue/Ranger Trickster(dual path Champion)
Aasimar Bard Marshall(dual path Champion)
Aasimar Arcanist Archmage

Tell me your ideas(so i can counter them if my players come up with them! muahahahaha)


1 person marked this as a favorite.
John Kretzer wrote:

Have just reread both Pirate's Honor and Pirate's Promise as though just occurred to me....

** spoiler omitted **

Pirate's Honor spoiler:
The halfling thief kept the ring of invisibility as his payment.

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Charon's Little Helper wrote:
Errant Mercenary wrote:
The printed APs as is are not very difficult for 4 optimised characters. However with 3 and not very experienced, some parts will be mince grinders.
They're not even hard for 4 decent characters. But 3 borderline decent characters will definitely have issues at certain points.

And when two of them are a level behind it quickly leads to TPK.

I will join the choir and say that it is very bad form on your part to go and read part of the AP behind your DM's back.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Since the Mythic Advantures book hasn't gone for a 2nd printing, we don't have an errata for it.

My opinion is that the mythic heroism spell is too powerful in it's current form and should be banned.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Apart from the fact that they can get rage cycling at level 1 at the cost of a feat, they aren't overpowered at all.


3 people marked this as a favorite.

I am glad for the reversal, in my opinion the original FAQ was nonsense.


4 people marked this as a favorite.

Finally that FAQ was taken back, it was about time.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Omnitricks wrote:
Q: Can UMD be used to bypass the personalizations?

I think that the answer is yes.


5 people marked this as a favorite.

I have no problem with new rulebooks and new options. I do have a problem with poorly thought out rules and badly edited books, and even when those books get an errata not nearly (not even close to) everything gets corrected (including the editing errors). Those things hurt my games.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I also ban the summoner.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Make yourself a threat, that usually means dealing enough damage so that the enemies can't ignore you.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

What level is the party?

Banishment can't be made into a wand, maybe it was a wand of dismissal?

What is a critfail?

The (un)holy half of flamestrike's damage has nothing to do with positive
and negative energy.

When you use wands you don't provoke AoO so you don't have to cast defensively.

Did the GM tell you what class the "assasin" was?


1 person marked this as a favorite.
MAJT69 wrote:
UnArcaneElection wrote:


Fixed your link above.

Thank you, I appreciate your help.

I'm really interested in a 'rewrite' of Skull & Shackles, as that one seems to be widely LOATHED by several of the players, everything they hate about PF in one place. Enemies that always fight to the death, not one single player choice, a ship race that the player's literally cannot lose... Not sure if any of that is true, I didn't enquire further, as the mere mention of it seemed to open some old wounds.

What?

From what i have heard skull and shackles (beyond 1st book) is one of the most Sandbox-y APs.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I can't be sure about the exact number (24 vs 25 vs 26) because i don't know if your upcoming pathfinder tale will take place at 4714 AR or 4715 AR, also since i don't know the exact months (of birth and the start of the next tale etc.) but i don't think that this specific numbers are needed, i just wanted to know his age because i thought that he was alive when Age of Lost Omens started.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I would love to read about Varian's involvement in the chelaxian civil war (and the chelaxian civil war in general).

Something doesn't add up, it's been 75* years since house Thrune took the throne, since Varian is 99 years old that means that when the Thrunes took the throne he was 24**. Although it isn't very young by human standards and could be given a command*** at that age he isn't a human, he is a half elf, wasn't this taken into account by whoever granted him a command OR did i something wrong with the dates and/or my math?

I am rereading the books (currently finishing Prince of Wolves) but i don't remember any clues about fighting in the civil war, i remember bits here and there about him serving in the chelaxian army but i had thought that this was after the house of Thrune had risen to power, did i misread the clues or did he served in the army before and after the regime change?

*house Thrune took the throne at 4640 AR and now it's 4715 AR, so 75 years ago

**older than i thought before (i hadn't done the math and i was eyeballing the years from memory)

***i assume that due to his noble birth he didn't serve as a simple soldier but as a minor officer (if not a major officer)


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Orfamay Quest wrote:
Dragon Knight wrote:


I have a reason beyond theory to ask this, honestly; one of my players in Rise of the Runelords just contracted tetanus from the trapped chest in Thistletop. Their 4th level and by the time they defeat Nualia (or allow her to escape, they have a foolish habit of that) they'll be 5th, high enough for the druid to cast the fore-mentioned miracle spell. I'm trying to up the ante for my group ....
This seems.... unfun. Dying of disease is not a fun adventure. Status effects are supposed to be curable, and that's why the spells exist in the first place. But in that regard, disease is no worse (and no better) than blindness, deafness, petrification, or death itself.

In addition, while Sandpoint suffers on the cleric front (4th level is the highest) Magnimar is (irrc) a day's ride from Sandpoint so he can have his disease cured there.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

From the various pathfinder tales (mostly Prince of Wolves and Queen of Thorns) i get the immpression that he was either alive when Aroden died or when the house of Thrune rose into the chelaxian throne. If he was alive when Aroden died then he is more than 100 years old (more like 120 if he was 10 when Aroden died), if he was alive when house Thrune took power then that makes him ~85 years old (again assuming he was 10 when house Thrune took power).
Which one do you think is the better estimate?


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Even if we ignore the price issue, there aren't enough clerics to combat the disease, there aren't enough spell slots to combat the disease, in PF the remove disease spell doesn't have a 100% of working, in a case of an outbreak of a contagious disease you have the problem of people who are healed getting re-infected.

So yes people die from diseases in Golarion, in fact i guess that it's higher than today's death rate but it might be a bit lower than the death rate we had in the medieval+ years.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

As Tacticslion said, use the mythic agile template, also give the boss two or three lives (double or triple hit points), you might not end up gaining more than 1 or (at best) 2 rounds for your boss but thanks to dual initiative those 2-3 rounds will seem longer.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Neongelion wrote:

I for one welcome our brain-sucking overlords.

The hidden message (as with all APs) in the final book, by the way, was "keep watching the skies". Distant worlds/Dominion invasion AP confirmed! Helps that James Jacobs said he had a Dominion invasion AP plot slushing around in his dinosaur brain for awhile too :D

There was the same hidden message on the Second Darkness.

Also i am still waiting for those runelords to return (RotRL hidden message).


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Mackenzie Kavanaugh wrote:
If there's no Summoner in the party, then there's nobody to craft potions of stoneskin and the GM will never have to worry about it. If there is a Summoner in the party, and they happen to take Brew Potion, you still have the option of ruling that potions are always created at their Sorcerer/Wizard level, not their Summoner level, ruling out stoneskin. Seriously, the GM controls the loot and gets unlimited veto power on items that aren't in the book. Potions of stoneskin aren't in the book, and the only people trying to get them are people who think it's kosher to make a Samsaran Wizard who casts haste as a level 2 spell.

Actually you aren't correct on that one, it's true that you always default to the wizard, cleric and druid lists for determining the level of the scroll, potion and wand, so you can't buy 1st level wands of lesser restoration because lesser restoration might be 1st level for paladins but it's 2nd level for clerics. The issue is that when you go for a potion of stoneskin the only choice you have is the 3rd level stoneskin that the summoner gets because there are no 4th level potions in order to default to wizard.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Victor Von Fausten wrote:

Very simple. I would allow it. The sorcerer would have to have a metal fork attuned to the plane to which he want to travel, since no doubt such an item would cost more than 1,000 gp.

Also the plane shift spell states that the caster may appear 5 to 500 miles from his intended destination and who knows what wonders may await him there.

Be careful what you wish for sorcerer, you may just get it.

Can you tell where do you get the prices for those metal forks, because i can't find them in the plane shift spell.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

@umf78crs
You overthinking this, it's a two handed finessable exotic weapon, plain and simple.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
felinoel wrote:
Mackenzie Kavanaugh wrote:
That sort of reaction does not bode well. Is the GM going to ban all save-or-die spells too? Weapons that deal more than 1d6 damage? Over-reacting like this after allowing you to use a non-Pathfinder item (the elixir is from 3.5) is just ridiculous.

I've got poison conversion and a $#!7-ton of drow poison so I've got save-or-die explosives.

That s#~~-ton of drow poison is also a s$%@-ton of gold (with 75gp per dose).

felinoel wrote:
leo1925 wrote:
Yes, technically you can get it as a 3rd level potion because it appears as 3rd level on the summoner's spell list, but you shouldn't, the summoner class (and especially it's spell list) was a very ill-thought class (for some parts, for other parts it was very well-thought) and you really shouldn't try to use those flaws for your own gain.

Paizo has had plenty of time to errata the problems and even HAS already made some errata, by now they should be done fixing what was a rush to print.

How exactly did you went from "ill-thought (parts of it) class" to "rushed to print class"?


2 people marked this as a favorite.

@Mackenzie Kavanaugh
Maybe the DM didn't know about the existance of alchemical allocation when he let the player craft the elixir of shadowalking or maybe he thought that the alchemical allocation extract only works with potions or maybe he didn't have the time to think when he approved the creation of the elixir. The issue is that you can't know what he was thinking.

@Tacticslion
It is my opinion that when you ban something serious that a player uses in his build you should offer a free and complete rebuild to use if he wants.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I kinda understand the DM's decision to ban alchemical allocation, it might seem to him that it's too much hassle to house rule an uncertain number of interactions between alchemical allocation and other things and it seems that much easier to ban it completely. I would have tried to come up with a way to alter it before i ban it completely but i think understand his decision.

@MechE_
Actually the blood money spell was updated for PF when RotRL AE was released, and like the 3.5 version of the spell* it is a very thematic spell that have one serious flaw in it's design, it doesn't have a gp limit on the material it can create, if it did the spell wouldn't be so bad.

*which in my opinion was a worse offender for balance purposes but more thematically appropriate

felinoel wrote:
leo1925 wrote:
Yes I know that summoners get as a 3rd level spell, that's the class that wrecked havoc with spell level (mostly).
Then... yes... it can be a potion?

Yes, technically you can get it as a 3rd level potion because it appears as 3rd level on the summoner's spell list, but you shouldn't, the summoner class (and especially it's spell list) was a very ill-thought class (for some parts, for other parts it was very well-thought) and you really shouldn't try to use those flaws for your own gain.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Matthew Downie wrote:
By RAW you can still use Spellcraft to identify a spell even without Verbal and Somatic components - maybe there's some kind of brief magical glow that people can see and identify.

Technically you are correct, but spellcraft also says that it uses the same modifiers as perception so one could make a case of a spellcasting (without any components) being unable to be unidentified, but then you are running to issues like how can you identify SLAs.


3 people marked this as a favorite.

New player, playing a magus, and mythic rules?
I don't think that this is going to work.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Smurf test one, smurf test two, is this thing on?


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Ravingdork wrote:
If you can find it on the market, yeah. Generally though, you have to make or find things over 16,000gp market price (since that's the highest base price most metropolises offer).

Actually in Golarion (which uses the settlements rules of GMG) the base value of a settlement can be up to 30200gp, so you buy stuff up to 30200gp quite dependable.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Using the exception of 3.5 was the best solution.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

As far as i know good drows can't/don't turn into elves, and not all evil elves turn into drows.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Now about the hardness issues.
Based on that i am going to say that you don't get to bypass the hardness of robots with electricity.
Now as to whether the x1.5 comes before or after hardness... i am not sure, i can see it going both ways... personally i think that it comes after hardness.

Did PFS get a ruling on that? from what little i know it seems that this season has quite a few robots.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Spellcasting 8th means 8th level spells for spellcasting services, in Magnimar's case it's 8th level arcane and 7th level divine*.

You can find how to use the statblock in the core rulebook but i will try to explain it here.

The Base Value stat means that any magical item that it's price is <=Base Value has a 75% chance of being available for purchase each week. In addition each mundane item that it's price is <=Base Value has a 100% chance of being available for purchase.

The Purchase Limit stat means that the settlement can pay at maximum Purchase Limit for a single item.

The Minor Items,Medium Items and Major Items are the number of random magic items, of each category, that are available each week (this might be per month i am not sure). I like to use this in order to generate random magic items (select kingdom treasure).

*unless the players somehow learn of the secret evil 15th level cleric of Norgorber who hides in the city and they don't have a problem asking him for help and get him to do spellcasting services for them.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

@VegasHoneyBadger
Please be less aggresive.
You are wrong, dervish dance does allow you to use DEX for attack rolls, remember that scimitars aren't "finnessable" weapons. So if you somehow get access to dervish dance while igoring prerequisites you will still be able to use DEX for attack roll and damage roll. Slashing grace on the other hand does neither allow you to use DEX for attack roll nor use the weapon finnesse for the weapon* you have selected for your feat.

*remember that there are only a couple finessable one handed slashing melee weapons that you can use with weapon finesse and iirc none of them are in the CRB.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

As long as you make sure that you won't be able to get 1.5 times your DEX bonus to damage then i don't think that such a feat would be OP.
As Bob Bob Bob said the dervish dance feat works only with scimitars because both IRL and in Golarion, dervishes use scimitars (IRL two scimitars in Golarion one).


1 person marked this as a favorite.

A Jeggare as part of the twilight talons? WOW
A woman of the Jeggare as part of the twilight talons? double WOW

The Chelaxian nobility won't be happy when she learns that.

EDIT: And it's a hexcrafter, Oh! the scandal


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Nathanael Love wrote:

Its not hard to memorize the good weapons stats?

Especially for those of us who've been playing for the 14 or so years they have remained unchanged?

Greatsword 2d6, Longsword 1d8 (19-20 crit), short sword 1d6 (19-20 crit), mace 1d8 (clerics only lolz), rapier 1d6 18-20 crit, longbow 1d8, shortbow 1d6, warhammer 1d6 x3 crit, greataxe 1d12 x3 crit, battle axe 1d8 x3 crit, scimitar 1d6 18-20, falchion 2d4 18-20, spear 1d6, long spear 1d6 with reach, halberd 1d10, staff 1d6. . .

that's off the top of my head, and to be honest 90% of all characters should be using one of the first three I listed-- its really not hard to remember that Greatsword is 2d6 and Longswrd is d8 19-20 and if at all possible you should use Greatsword or longsword.

Same with armor Hide +4, leather +2, plate mail +8, chain shirt +5 use one of those four if at all possible?

Chain shirt is +4.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Samy wrote:
So a battery's charge state has no bearing on its value? Both a charged and uncharged battery are worth the same?

Unless the battery is timeworn then yes.

Also you can totally repair a destroyed battery, you use that. Unless the battery is timeworn, in that case even if you repair it you still can't recharge it.

James, how many of the batteries in circulation (as currency) would you say are timeworn? 50%? 80%?
Because i can really see my players trying to get thier hands on as many silverdisks as they can, repair them via greater make whole and then try to recharge them.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

First of all why is copying a recipe an evil act? What do you plan to use the recipe for?
Secondly the legality has very few things to do with Law.

UlrichVonLichtenstein wrote:
Jeraa wrote:
Dieben wrote:
Since when is learning the secret moonshine recipe an evil act, particularly if you leave the original hard-copy behind?
Its copywritted. You just broke the law?
The character is Chaotic Evil. He doesn't give a s*$% about the law.

Why did you choose to play a CE character in a group with (assuming) good PCs?


1 person marked this as a favorite.

To be fair, even if we are talking about non mythic rules, battles taking 2 or 3 rounds at levels 10+ (especially 13+) and solo encounters being a joke is the norm with the current system.

For example when i played Jade Regent, the final battle was run pretty much as written (minus the stupid stuff) and was added an adult forest dragon, the battle was over in 3 or 4 rounds (i don't remember) and there were 5 PCs. When i DMed shattered star, with A LOT of changes which ended up making the battle a CR 22 (and that doesn't include the second life of the BBEG) against lvl 17 PCs, the battle managed to last 8-10 rounds (i wasn't counting after 4th) and mind you i don't think that the PCs had more than 20%-30% chance of losing.
In the Jade Regent the battle was against 4 (5 with the dragon) and in Shattered Star the battle was against 8.

What exactly is your problem with 15 point buy? i am not sure i understood.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Somewhat unrelated but the androffan letters in page 33 seem familiar to me (A LOT), so i started digging and i think that they look very similar to thassilonian runes, both languages seem to have curvy letters and both of them use dots, sure the thassilonian letters are more "curvy" but still i think that the resemblance is uncanny. Does anyone else sees the resemblance or is it just my mind seeing a relation where there is none?

1 to 50 of 201 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | next > last >>

©2002–2015 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.