Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
About Paizo Messageboards News Paizo Blog Help/FAQ
Silver Dragon

leo1925's page

Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber. 4,240 posts. 4 reviews. 3 lists. 1 wishlist.


RSS

1 to 50 of 4,240 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

If you have to go with an AP i say go with RotRL, but i suggest you go with some modules first.


Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

I seem to remember there was a spell that could also do something about smite but i can't find it.


Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
magnuskn wrote:

It has not been? That's a crime, it really is the best AP module I've ever seen your company publish (followed by The Dead Heart of Xin, Tide of Honor and Seven Days to the Grave, by the way).

Anyway, I hope Brandon can write another AP module soon, he is very, very good at it, actively listens to constructive criticism and proceeds to use it to write better for his next work.

Are you talking about what is happening in Dead Heart of Xin (and it's locale and it's NPCs) or about the encounters in that module?

If you are talking about the first then i am 100% with you, if you are talking about the encounters... well... i would really like to know how you managed to salvage them because i am having a really hard time doing that.


Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Ok i got both emails, everything seems to be in order, thank you Shayara.

How do i change the payment method to another card? Do i wait to get another two mails saying that there is a problem with my order which prompts me to use another paying method for each order?


Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
James Jacobs wrote:
I'm pretty grabby/protective of my Runelords. And this is a Rob McCreary helmed Adventure Path. AKA: There won't be much Runelord stuff at all, in Giantslayer... but there MIGHT be Thassilon elements here and there.

That is completely understandable.

When do you think you will be able to bring your Runelords outside so all of us can play with them again?


Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Ok i have the order number, it's 3153637.

Can it be broken to two shipments as mentioned above? (one with the comic subscription and my sidecart and the other with the two AP volumes)


Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

What level(s) are they playing?


Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

I also find (from what you said) your homebrew setting weird, and from the ideas you had for other games it does seem that you might be better served with another game system.
But in any way you shouldn't run a game you don't want to, if the players don't want to play what you want to run, then you either find something that you want to run and your group wants to play or someone else DMs.


Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Wrath wrote:

While you guys state it's unfortunate, I think the entire fact they have a major plot that runs through them but can be ignored if you want...is actually brilliant.

The AP's and modules are Paizo's bread and butter. The fact they have written them so you can run it as a campaign OR as individual modules if you want is very smart.

If you want more thread ties to the AP's, they give you huge amounts of background material for all the badguys in their campaigns and you can place as much or as little of that into your games as possible.

Carrion Crown that someone mentioned earlier, is a great example. At first they seem like disparate missions, but when you keep in mind the campaign traits, it gives the party a clear goal from the moment they
** spoiler omitted **

All of that is in there for the DM to use, but they don't overplay it as the AP's can also be run as standalones if needed.

Every AP I've run from Paizo, and that's about 5 so far, has had this feature. None of the groups I've run through them felt there wasn't enough plot to hold them together. Use the background at the beginning of each module to work them together as needed.

Cheers

I agree that it's a feature, i am saying that it's a bad feature.


Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
thenovalord wrote:

Just about all of them

Unfortunately

That.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
brad2411 wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
leo1925 wrote:
brad2411 wrote:
Generic GM wrote:
If I remember right, in the "Continuing the Campaign" section at the end of The Dead Heart of Xin, it talked about a lich giant who was in Belkzen. I believe he was using orc tribes to look for Runelord Zutha's tomes. Maybe this AP will run with a plot along those lines. I hope so. I really would like to square off against another Runelord.
Yep named Thulos, Taiga Giant lich Necromancer. He is working on a way to raise Zutha without the third part of his spell book.

That's my guess as well.

It's a pretty safe bet that it won't be a dwarves vs giants and orcs... i guess we could have an invasion-war from/to Belkzen/Lastwall/Varissa but i think that the runelords are a safer bet.
Nope. If/when we do something big with the Runelords... you'll know from the start.
But James we want more Runelords. ;)

Yeah we do!


Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
brad2411 wrote:
Generic GM wrote:
If I remember right, in the "Continuing the Campaign" section at the end of The Dead Heart of Xin, it talked about a lich giant who was in Belkzen. I believe he was using orc tribes to look for Runelord Zutha's tomes. Maybe this AP will run with a plot along those lines. I hope so. I really would like to square off against another Runelord.
Yep named Thulos, Taiga Giant lich Necromancer. He is working on a way to raise Zutha without the third part of his spell book.

That's my guess as well.

It's a pretty safe bet that it won't be a dwarves vs giants and orcs... i guess we could have an invasion-war from/to Belkzen/Lastwall/Varissa but i think that the runelords are a safer bet.


Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Desidero wrote:
Because Clerics and Inquisitors are so devoted to their god they get magic powers. No other class can be that devoted or else they'd have cleric of Inquisitor powers too. Paladins are out because they are not powered by their devotion to their own god but by the fire of their own righteousness.

No.

While there can be paladins that don't get their powers (both paladin powers and spells) from deities, not all of them are so.
In addition the inquisitors are in the same boat as paladins.


Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

First of all i didn't know they changed this feat, wow this is a good feat now, for reference the original was that.

I guess the reason that oracles don't get it is becuase a)they aren't usually affiliated with a church and b)they get half the benefits of the feat with their weapon mastery revelation.
I also kinda understand why magi don't get it (again they can get most of this feat's benefits through other means).
I also understand why bards don't get it (most combat bards in Golarion are associated with Serenrae).
I also kinda understand why rangers can't get this (again fluff restrictions)
What i don't understand is why on earth paladins and cavaliers don't get it, i mean whyyyy???? why can't the two "shinning knight"/"holy knight" classes can't get that feat? the only reason i can think of is that the fighter class dragged them down.


Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Mr. Bubbles wrote:

Rise of the Runelords is the best if you want good old fashioned dungeon crawl.

No RotRL isn't an old fashioned dungeon crawl, that is Shattered Star and in my opinion that AP isn't very good.


Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Experiment 626 wrote:
Did the 3pp and archetype for the rogue ever get mentioned?

Not yet, i asked the OP but he hasn't yet replied.


Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
mikeawmids wrote:

Checked the Inner Sea guide entry for Belkzen, no mention of giants there - but Belkzen is neighbours with the the realm of the Mammoth Lords, so maybe the AP will venture there also.

Maybe a spiritual successor to the old Against the Giants trilogy?

You are correct, so either what you said about realm of the mammoth lords (or Varisia) OR it's going to be about the runelords+belkzen*.

*becuase we all know that runelords means magic, decadance and giants


Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

There is always heroism for the 2nd spell level spot.


Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

What level are the characters and what's the name of the archetype that the rogue uses?(i am pretty sure we can find it if we have a name)


Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Hmm...
Would it work for you if i made sure that the card that is my default for subscription payments doesn't have enough money in it (so that i don't miss the email about the order spawning and the order gets shipped as it is) and then i let you know about know about the order that i want split? (and either transfer money to that card or use another card)


Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

First of all i would like to apologize for not knowing about the FAQ on ice tomb, it's only a month and a half old FAQ.

DRS3 wrote:
leo1925 wrote:

@DRS3

Am i wrong to assume that you don't DM pathfinder APs and modules?

I have, not in PFS play but I have, and they for the most part can be tweaked enough to provide a challenge. Some of theme are even really deadly for their level.

Can i ask which ones (both played and found really deadly for their level)?


Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Lincoln Hills wrote:

It belatedly occurs to me that one reason the writers might go with single opponents is that they have to keep an eye on wealth-by-level and the sorts of magical items that are handed out in the campaign. Giving all the treasure value to a single monster allows them a big enough budget for the 'boss' to carry magic items that the PCs won't regard as 'spares' or 'trade goods'.

That doesn't happen (from what i have seen), too much wealth (from a non solo encounter) might be a concern but there are ways to solve this issue.


Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Thank you Sharaya.

What's the possibility for the pathfinder comic to be ready to ship before the 2 AP volumes?
I ask this becuase if it's going to ship before the AP then i could just change the option in My Subscriptions page from "Hold for monthly Paizo shipment" to "Never hold anything" and then change it back the next month.


Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

@DRS3
Am i wrong to assume that you don't DM pathfinder APs and modules?

Sissyl wrote:


The problem isn't the specific hex, but that the hex mechanic itself is poorly thought out and makes for a poorer game. As was said above, unless the GM rewrites all the creatures in the game to have better will saves or replaces them with immune creatures, it is the GM's fault, not the witch class'. For some reason, it is very important to some people that it is never the fault of the witch. And even if slumber may be a problem, that is no reason to ban anything else that can replace slumber...

I agree, there are also the frozen tomb (which needs some serious FAQ and/or errata since it's very vague) and agony (to use against those pesky spellcasters) that do the same thing as slumber (although there are both major hexes which means that they will be a problem much later in the campaign), in fact i am not sure it's only the hex mechanic's fault, it's partly the spell list's fault, if it wasn't so weak for a 9th level arcane caster then there might be fewer people that focused on hexes.


Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
captain yesterday wrote:
Scaevola77 wrote:

Rise of the Runelord is my top

Council of Thieves is pretty good if your group likes intrigue and your GM is willing to put in effort to make the city alive and interesting.

My caution with Skull & Shackles is that I think the quality of the campaign varies greatly based on party composition. If you have players and a GM that will dive into being piratey head-first, and enjoy a sandboxey campaign, it will be great. I am playing it with a group that contains no piratey PCs and the GM is not a big pirate fan, and it has been kind of a flop. My sense is that most of the APs provide solid stories that any party can be pretty happy with, but Skull & Shackles is somewhat reliant on the party buying into the "You are pirates! Be pirates!" aspect of the campaign.

so let me get this right, none of you like pirates and your GM doesn't like pirates, yet you pick... a pirate campaign....... do you see where ya lost me?

what exactly were you expecting? why on earth did you pick this AP with like 12 others to choose from? was it so you had something to complain about? (my wife's parents do this they'll go places they dislike, just so they can complain about it during and after)

Same question here.

Were the AP volumes a present or something?


Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Coridan wrote:
I would like to see a hardcover adventure yearly. Kind of a mega module (levels 1-10 or 10-17 or something). 288 pages. Especially since modules were cut to four/year.

Yeah the modules were cut to four a year but the page count has risen for each one and the total page count for the year has also risen, and that doesn't include the fact that the last (couple?) years of the old 6 modules a year paradigm we ended up with something along 5 modules a year.


Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

I just have to ask all of you who say that you just have to have someone spend an action to wake up the one sleeping:
Why are you telling that it's just one action? It's one standard action from someone who isn't sleeping (which may or may not provoke, the rules are unclear), then the one who was sleeping needs to spend a move action (that provokes) in order to stand up and if he's humanoid he will probably will spend another move action that provokes in order to pick up his weapon.

How are the above only one action? (not to mention the fact that this "solution" hinges on the fact that there is a minion still alive)


Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

bump


Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
captain yesterday wrote:
** spoiler omitted **

I was trying to avoid spoiler by saying he instead of she (the reason i put it in a spoiler tag was to avoid wall of text and not to avoid spoiling).

Now about the reason of not being her type, let's better go into spoilers:
shattered star book 5:

There were a lot of minor reasons i went with a red dragon instead of a blue:
1) It was easier to work with from a CR/mechanics/build POV
2) The whole "grew up with no parents and no siblings" part of her backstory led me to beileve that she wouldn't have any reason to trust more a blue dragon than any other type of dragon.
3) I have a gnome pyromaniac blaster sorcerer in my party, so i thought it would be somewhat funny to have them face a fire breathing dragon.
4) At the beggining of book i had them meet/face the red dragon disciple (red)dragonrider king of Brevoy (long post-kingmaker story from another campaign) while he was on his way to join the Fourth Crusade (i have WotR happening on the background) and wanted to give them a small wtf moment when they faced the red dragon.
5) I have a huge red dragon mini and a gargantuan blue dragon mini but i dodn't have a huge blue dragon mini.


Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

I have also noticed this i would very much like for it to change, the reason i buy the APs is because i don't have the time to make my own campaigns. While i understand that i have to make some changes here and there, i can't re-write* nearly every serious encounter on books 5 and 6 (sometimes book 4) that defeats the purpose i buy the APs in the first place.
Also my other problem is that while some encounters can probably work as solo encounters (even at high levels), they have a very bad spell selection and so bad tactics that they can't work as a solo encounter.

Personal story time::

I am running shattered star and book 5 has a final boss that had the potential to be a challenging solo encounter but then that same boss has only 1 defensive spell and that is displacement (2 if you count greater invisibility), it's not prebuffed and he has some of the worst tactics i have read. Do all of the above make sense for the story we have? absolutely. Do all of the above make the boss into something to wipe the floor with? also yes.
When i run that part i had to remake the boss in order to change his feats, his spell selection and his tactics all the while trying to not make changes that contradict the story, also i created a mature adult red dragon sorcerer 3 (and had to create a half assed story for him and why he is there in case the players wanted to talk before the battle) as an addition to the single boss.
Boy was i right to do so...
My party killed the big boss in round one before he had the chance to act so my own created (lesser) enemy was all that i had left in order to make an interesting final encounter, luckily i managed to do just that.

All of that took A LOT of my time to do.

On the other hand the final battle of book 4 was SO much better (and more interesting but that is a story issue), still i had to make to recreate the NPC, becuase his spell selection was quite bad (but not awful) and change a feat or two but the tactics were quite sound, and that were all the changes i made into the encounter (ok i changed the favored enemy of his bodyguards/minions but that didn't take any time).

The difference between the two final battles were that in book 5 you had a single (with the potential of being) overpowered boss while in book 4 you had a powerful boss with 4 minion/bodyguards and 2 not-so-minion/bodyguards.
Guess which is easier to work with in order to make a good final encounter?

I understand that sometimes (especially in high levels) the story gets in the way and you have to make a solo encounter, i really do. My answer to that is that you either make another story that doesn't restrain you so much OR you build the solo encounter in such a way that can actually work as a solo encounter (that includes build, tactics, terrain, making sure that the PCs are actually worned out by the time they face it, etc).

*sometimes this is easy, like making a single monster battles contain two of the same monster (maybe add the advanced template to both) but when we have NPC encounters i can't just have his identical twin brother be with him, i have to make some other NPC or monster be there with him

Jib916 wrote:
I have found that the Mythic Rules work great as a solo monster booster. A couple levels of Mythic (or Mythic Template) against non Mythic PC's gives them the power/action economy/durability to make these fights more memorable and challenging.

Can you give us some examples of the changes you made using the mythic rules and the results?

PS. I am not asking to make APs hard and challenging enough for the super optimized party, i understand that there are a lot of groups out there who would get TPKed all the time by such an AP, what i am asking is that APs aren't so easy that my work of changing them for my (normally/moderately optimized) party not take so long.

PS 2. I know that my job would be a lot easier if used Hero Lab but i don't have the money to spare on this way overpriced (but awesome) software, instead i get to work with the much more limited (but free) PCGen.


Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Any news?


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

My experiences with the witch are both from the teammates prospective and the DM's prospective.
Yes Witches are unfun.
In my opinion that is because the whole class is geared to wreck APs (or rather APs can't handle witches, like they can't gunslingers), either you go slumber, ice tomb, agony OR evil eye + misfortune, the outcome is the same you are going to be destroying encounters left and right. And the issue is that you can't really do anything else with the witch, it's a class built on the wizard's chasis with fewer spells per day but with a very neutered and weird spell list.

PS. Maybe the class is salvagable and maybe you can really create a campaign where the witch isn't a problem but the reason i play APs is because i don't have the time to create my own game.


Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Again i don't see an option for placing my shopping cart to my sidecart in step 2 of the checkout proccess.
Can my current shopping cart (Pathfinder Module J5, Pathfinder Special #1, Pathfinder Module D4, Pathfinder Module LB2, Pathfinder Module E1, Pathfinder Module D2) be moved to my sidecart?

Also how can i have this month's subscriptions be shipped seperately? Specifically i want 2 shipments, one with my comic and my sidecart and one with the 2 AP volumes.


Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

I played JR and i know of which part you speak of, that part was almost two sessions for my group.


Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

I share your fears magnuskn but how sure are you that Paizo is unwilling, instead of unable, to invest the time and resources to coordinate the authors better?


Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Dedicating your character to archery is truly feat intensive and really the ZAM has pretty much all of it built in and/or preselected.
For example a human's archer ranger feat line would look like that:
1st: PBS
1st: Precise Shot
2nd: Rapid Shot
3rd: Deadly Aim
5th: -- empty slot --
6th: improved precise shot
7th: manyshot

Sure you can move the order around a bit but the fact remains that almost all of your feat slots up to level 7 are taken.
(keep in mind that a non human wouldn't even have an empty slot)
After that you can relax, sure there are more archery feats if you want but you need those at the bare minimum to compete with a ZAM.

Where a human ZAM on the other hand would look like that:
1st: -- empty slot --
1st: -- empty slot --
1st: Precise shot
2nd: Weapon focus
2nd: -- empty monk bonus feat slot --
3rd: deadly aim
3rd: point blank master
5th: -- empty slot --
6th: improved precise shot
6th: weapon specialization
7th: -- empty slot --

(keep in mind that the ZAM needs to hit level 8 in order to get the same number of attacks as the above archer ranger without using ki points)
See how different it is?
First of all the ZAM doesn't have to be a human, secondly he gets to completely ignore PBS as a dedicated archer and he has a lot of empty feat slots to take other things.


Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Bad copies always happen, also there is the issue of the humidity, the way you store them and the way you use them. But yes i also have noticed quite a few people having issues with various volumes of the wrath of the righteous AP (particularly the first two books). I hadn't used mine yet so i don't know if this will happen to me too.

Ironlemon wrote:
Too bad I live in Europe... after taxes + postal fee and customs fees, the free copy would most likely end up costing me as much as the book was when I bought it :S

I have to ask, and sorry if i seem intrusive, but where in Europe do you live? I can understand the shipping cost to be quite high but taxes and customs fees?

I also live in Europe and i had to research the customs laws and taxes before i became a subscriber and while VAT is different from country to country the customs laws and fees are the same through the EU, and you really shouldn't be charged neither customs fees nor taxes for a single AP volume.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Derrick Harris wrote:


I've also had to have the talk with DMs that they're not allowed to make surprise houserules in the middle of a campaign. If they're (the houserules) not made crystal clear at the onset of a game, then they don't happen.

I disagree with that.

In principle i am with you all the way but there is a good chance that you will notice something mid campaign, or you will see that you had not judged something right, and that's when you need to make a house rule mid campaign, these things can happen to anyone and i don't think that anyone would want their game to crush because of this. The thing is that if and when this thing happens then you offer the players affected by your new house rule a complete rebuild.


Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

The first pathfinder APs (council of thieves, kingmaker, serpent's skull) are probably "easy" to convert, the APs after them tend to include quite a lot of things that are pathfinder specific and there aren't 3.5 counterparts, surely you can still "convert" them by changing them but in my opinion the work is too much.

In the same vein there a lot of modules released by Paizo that were written for 3.5 (and most of them are on the discount price of 2$) and also the "first" modules released for the pathfinder system are in the same boat as the first APs.


Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

How is a zen archer a mono stat character?
Even if elects to really suck at the first two level and either ignores or dumps his DEX in order to pump his WIS, he just has traded his need for DEX for WIS. So the ranger ends up need DEX, STR and a bit of WIS and the ZAM ends up needing WIS and STR, i think that this is a small difference, not bigger than a simple +1 to his attack roll.

Yes i know that the monk also gets more ki points from his WIS which can be used for getting an extra attack but this is a trick that he can't use every time he full attacks, does he put him a bit over the archer ranger? yes but not by large.


Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
laarddrym wrote:
The 5' step thing I get how he could have been confused. Telling you that you don't get class features when you're supposed to is inexcusable though. If he doesn't renege, ask him to rewrite every class the way he'd like them to work so you can pick a class without worrying whether its features will change each time you level.

I agree with you, that's why i have asked what is the exact thing that bugs his DM about the ranger's ability to take shield master* earlier.

If his problem is the fact that the ranger gets to ignore feat pre-requisites then you can't do anything about it, it's his opinion for one feature of a specific class.
On the other hand, if his problem is that the ranger can get a powerful feat 5 levels before the class that actully has the word "fight" in it's name then you have a problem, becuase by that logic he will (probably) be bugged by other things that the ranger can do, and the barbarian, and the paladin and pretty much every full BAB class (with the possible exception of the cavalier**) and possibly other classes that can fight just as well as the fighter but can do other things too.

*i am assuming that the OP mistyped and wanted to say shield master, becuase that is the feat that the ranger can get 5 levels before the fighter and not shield slam, which the figther can get by level 6.
**i haven't really studied the cavalier class so i don't know exactly where it stands


Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Also nearly the exact same scenario you thought up plays out in a pathfinder tale is

the name of said pathfinder tale:
Liar's Blade
and it really is a great pathfinder tale.
another one about that particular pathfinder tale:
Also in that pathfinder tale it is explained why such a thing couldn't be possible for Aroden, the reason is that Aroden's herald was another deity (Iomidae), if such an item did exist why didn't Iomidae almost immediatly used it to bring him back to life (while asking Pharasma to not wait a bit before she passed judgment on Aroden) or at least why didn't she direct her church to said item.


7 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

No FAQ needed, wind stance doesn't allow you to stealth.


Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Kwauss wrote:
leo1925 wrote:
How does the zen archer gets weapon specialization?
At level 6 automatically.

Ok i didn't remember that zen archers get weapon focus and weapon spec on top of their bonus feats.

Ok now with that i will have to revise my earlier opinion that zen archers will most likely be a little ahead of the archer rangers at levels <10.

@OP
The real difference about the archer ranger and the zen archer's combat effectiveness is that one might screw up an archer's ranger build where it will be A LOT more difficult to screw up a zen archer build.


Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Diminuendo wrote:


Also the rules dont even state you can use a free action during another players turn.

Yes i know that but my question was, did you ask him to show you where in the rules the 5 foot step is a no action instead of a free action (or what happened when you showed him that 5 foot step isn't a no action but a free action instead). Really this really can be a case of knowing a rule wrong.

EDIT: Ok i was wrong, the 5 foot step is a no action and not a free action, in fact here is the relevant rules. And i can see how the DM might be confused, you see because the rules use the word round instead of turn he assumes that the "before, during or after the rest of his action" to mean anytime during the initiative. It doesn't mean that but i can see how someone might be confused.


Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Just for the record, it doesn't matter if you ban the trapfinder trait because there A LOT of ways to get trapfinding and here they are:

ways to get trapfinding:

1) 1st level rogue (a bunch of archetypes give that up)
2) 3rd level urban ranger
3) 1st level trapper ranger
4) 1st level seeker oracle*
5) 1st level seeker sorcerer*
6) 1st level crypt breaker alchemist
7) 1st level trap breaker alchemist
8) 2nd level detective bard*
9) The 2nd level bard/alchemist/wizard spell Aram Zey's focus (too bad the duration is only 1 minute per level)
10) 2nd level archevist bard*
11) 6th level archeologist bard*
12) 1st level sandman bard*
13) 1st level pathfinder delver PrC*
14) The campaign trait trapfinder**

*those 7 get trapfinding in everything but the name
**gives you the ability to disable magical traps but doesn't give you a bonus for doing so

For those wondering on the posts about the rogue talent offensive defensive, here is the answer you need.
Again for the record, i think that it shouldn't stack but apply against everyone.

Anecdote story time.
I actually have seen a rogue who could contribute, he even was a TWF rogue so here is how this marvelous thing happened:
It was during the Kingmaker AP, which was my group's first pathfinder campaign, we all had rolled god stats, 40-50 point buy equivalent and we were basically a 3 man team.
The party makeup was:
Switch hitter ranger, twf rogue, "battle" cleric, summoner (1st book)
Switch hitter ranger, twf rogue, "battle" cleric, wizard (2nd and 3rd books)
Switch hitter ranger, twf rogue, "battle" cleric, magus (4th, 5th and 6th book)
The reason we were basically a 3 man party was because the cleric was really badly built but most importantly because his tactics at nearly every battle was "stand still and buff for 3 rounds and then move into melee", the thing is that the battle was usually over after 3 rounds.
Through the campaign the rogue wasn't a dead weight, in fact he was contributing for the solutions to our party's problems (there wasn't anything to write home about but he was contributing).
There was exactly one instance where the rogue was able to do something that my ranger couldn't

Kingmaker book 4 spoiler:

At some point during book 4 (level 11) we had to somehow enter a city fort, because we had issues with the warlord running the city, the party decided that before we try to attack/inflitrate the city it would be best first to go into the city disguised (our faces we known since we were the rulers of the kingdom next door) in order to do a little recon.
Well the rogue was covered since he had almost maxed the disguise skill, the magus had some ranks in the disguise skill and prepared two disguise self spells to play it at the safe side, the cleric didn't have any way to follow and my ranger didn't have any ranks in the disguise skill (sure i could try to sneak in and rely on my mediocre bluff skill but the potential outcome from descovering me wasn't worth the risk) so partly because of the risk and partly becuase i didn't want the cleric's player to feel left alone my ranger didn't enter the city.

That was the only time* that my ranger couldn't do something that the rogue could at least as well as the rogue, when at the same time i had some few spells that helped, my ranger's animal companion provided an additional flank buddy for the rogue, my contribution to combat was A LOT more than the rogue's and i could do wilderness stuff that the rogue couldn't.

Keep in mind that my ranger couldn't do traps and lockpicking but in Kingmaker (like in most APs and modules) there were only a handful of traps (maybe less than 5) and even then it wasn't anything serious that a few uses of our happy stick couldn't handle, and on the lockpicking front (again very few locks) the magus' adamantine weapon could usually do the job just as well.

*ok technically there was also the bluff issue (the rogue had max ranks in bluff and quite a good CHA) but it didn't came up much and when it did the DCs weren't that high that my few ranks and favored enemy bonus couldn't handle


Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

How does the zen archer gets weapon specialization?


Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Diminuendo wrote:
He also threw a Swashbuckler with a polearm at me, and ruled that you can take a 5 foot step at any time if you havent already used it that turn, because it's a no action.

No, 5 foot step is usually* a free action, which means that you can use it when it's your turn. Don't take it the wrong way, he might just be confused/misremembering the rule, did you tell him (preferably during a break) that this isn't how 5 foot step works (isn't a no action)?

*there some feats and effects that might change that assumptions

@Petty Alchemy
There isn't a catecory of miscellaneous actions in PF.


Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Brequon wrote:
He wants a Paizo's rule person to chime in on the topic before he'll change his stance.

Just to manage your expectations, there is a very very tiny slim chance of that happening.


Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Haladir wrote:


3) Roll20 advanced features require paid subscription. MapTool is free.

To be fair (from what i have heard) it's half advanced features and half beta testing said features.

1 to 50 of 4,240 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.