Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
About Paizo Messageboards News Paizo Blog Help/FAQ
Artemis Entreri

concerro's page

Pathfinder Society Member. 2,630 posts (42,550 including aliases). 3 reviews. 9 lists. 2 wishlists. 25 aliases.



1 to 50 of 358 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | next > last >>

33 people marked this as FAQ candidate. 1 person marked this as a favorite.

There is some confusion in another thread about whether or not all ranged attacks suffer the -4 penalty for when someone is in melee.

There is also confusion about whether or not the precise shot feat applies to removing penalties that apply to all ranged attacks because it uses the "ranged weapon" verbage.

Some parts of the game use the term "ranged weapon" instead of "ranged attack".

Example 1:

Quote:
If you shoot or throw a ranged weapon at a target engaged in melee with a friendly character, you take a –4 penalty on your attack roll.

Example 2:

Quote:

Precise Shot (Combat)

You are adept at firing ranged attacks into melee.

Prerequisite: Point-Blank Shot.
Benefit: You can shoot or throw ranged weapons at an opponent engaged in melee without taking the standard –4 penalty on your attack roll.

The specific FAQ question is bolded below.

Do spells such as Acid Splash and similar effects which are not "weapons", but do use ranged attacks suffer the same -4 penalty to attacks when firing at an opponent in melee, even though they are not weapons?
Do feats such as Precise shot which remove such penalties apply to ranged attacks, even if they specifically weapons?


1 person marked this as a favorite.

There have been quiet a few times people had disagreements in the rules forum because one was discussing what he thought the most literal interpretation of a rule was, and another person was discussing how they thought the PDT intended for a rule to be ran when they made it.

A few posters have also told me they thought most people came to the rules forum to find out the most literal interpretation of what the book said.

Myself and other people try to figure out intent. As an example there is a feat which says it removes all penalties when using Two-weapon fighting. Most agree that this means you don't suffer the TWF penalties, but a very literal interpretation would mean that you actually ignore all penalties on attack rules when weilding a shield with another weapon.

My reason for doing this is to have a record of the community's default position. So as an example if "what the words say" is an overwhelming majority people can specify that they want to know the opinion on intent, and vice versa.

I think it will help with a large number of debates by having a standard.

Please use the following posts to vote with. "Favorite" the one which matches your opinion.


16 people marked this as FAQ candidate.

Is Limited Wish intended to bypass True Resurrection(a higher level spell)?

According to the rules raise dead line of spells it takes True Ressurection to bring an outside back to life.

According to Limited Wish it can not duplicate a higher level spell.

According to the outsider entry:

Quote:
When an outsider is slain, no soul is set loose. Spells that restore souls to their bodies, such as raise dead, reincarnate, and resurrection, don't work on an outsider. It takes a different magical effect, such as limited wish, wish, miracle, or true resurrection to restore it to life.

Limited Wish not only saves the party 23500 gold peices, but it is a lower level spell than True Resurrection.

It is my opinion that when the outsider entry was written that Limited Wish was included by accident.

FAQ please.

PS: I am well aware of what the book says. <----In before someone points out the exact wording of the outsider entry.


10 people marked this as FAQ candidate.

In the book and on grids the monster's dimensions are done in squares which are 2-dimensional. However most of us apply it so that the monster is a cube shaped.
When the question comes up on the boards the person asking normally easily accepts that the monster such as a large one is taking up space equal to 10 by 10 by 10.

I figured since this is a fairly easy rule I could FAQ it and get an official answer.

Question is bolded below:

Is the 3rd dimension of a monster on a map equivalent to the other 2 dimensions? As an example if a large* giant is listed as 15 feet tall would his space on the grid be 10x10x10 or 10x10x15?

*That was referring to the size category applied to creatures in the game.


26 people marked this as FAQ candidate. 1 person marked this as a favorite.

What action type do I need to close my eyes, and what action is it to open them?

This matters for the purpose of mirror image and the Blinded Blade Style feat progression. It may also matter in other cases such as gaze attacks.

The bolded question is what is being FAQ'd.


22 people marked this as FAQ candidate. 1 person marked this as a favorite.

If a player falls and goes through a threatened square or if he has the drag combat maneuver performed on him by a friendly character through a threatened square does either one of these provoke an attack of opportunity?


24 people marked this as FAQ candidate. 1 person marked this as a favorite.

According to the feat section:

Quote:

Prerequisites:

Some feats have prerequisites. Your character must have the indicated ability score, class feature, feat, skill, base attack bonus, or other quality designated in order to select or use that feat. A character can gain a feat at the same level at which he gains the prerequisite.

According to the Ability Score section in the CRB we have two quotes.

Quote:
Ability score increases with a duration of 1 day or less give only temporary bonuses.
Quote:
Permanent Bonuses: Ability bonuses with a duration greater than 1 day actually increase the relevant ability score after 24 hours. Modify all skills and statistics related to that ability. This might cause you to gain skill points, hit points, and other bonuses. These bonuses should be noted separately in case they are removed.

The second quote makes it sound like ability scores increase with a duration of longer than 24 hours are the only way to really increase you score, but the first ability score quote seems to go against that.

Here is my main FAQ question---> Can you gain a feat with only a temporary increase to your ability score?

Second Question: If the answer is yes then what is the difference between a permanent increase and a temporary one with regard to mechanical benefits?

PS: This question is due to this thread

PS2: I know you(PDT) only like one FAQ question per post so I am more concerned with the first question.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Many people go to the rules forum to find out how the rules are intended to work in the game. I think that is the majority intention of most who ask questions there.

As we know sometimes what they rules say, and what the rules mean do no match up well. The recent flying skill FAQ is an example of that.

This discussion however is not about the words not matching up. It is about the posters.

Sample Conversation:I am going to use an extreme example, but focus on the point which I will state afterwards.

Poster A: Can I take actions after I die.

Poster B: When you die your character is out of play. The devs assumed we had enough common sense to know that so they didn't state it like they did for the paralyzed condition.

Poster C: The rules do not say you are not allowed to have your actions so you do not lose them.

.......Poster C continue to argue this point vs other posters for several pages

Poster B: Do you play it that way at home?

Poster C: I was just arguing what the book says. I know it does not work that way.

------------------------------------------

Now it is obvious that poster A and poster B were discussing how things were intended to actually work in gameplay.

Poster C is arguing the most literal interpretation.

A discussion on what the rules say, and what the rules are supposed to do at the table are two very different arguments in many cases.

If you as poster know that someone is asking how things are expected to play out in a game, and you argue from a different viewpoint then you should acknowledge that. Otherwise due to the differing goals, there will never be a consensus. It is just common sense.

What is the point of entering the discussion from that angle and not acknowledge it?

I have my opinion, but I would like to hear someone who has done this explain it.

Possible answers are:

A. The rules to me are what is in the book, not what Paizo intends them to mean.

B. I honestly didn't think people wanted intent.

C. I just wanted to play devil's advocate, and thought it would be better if nobody knew I actually understood the rule.

D. other reason not mentioned


The zealot has to spend talents to get full access to all of its spellcasting. Flavor reasons aside, I don't see one talent that compares with spells. I think Paizo should just go ahead and give the Zealot the spells, and create new talents or up the usefulness of the other talents.

However if I was reading too fast and overlooked something let me know.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

It seems like we have flavor text mixed in with the mechanical text, but I am not all of these contain flavor text.

This is mostly for the PDT, but others can feel free to chime in.

However before I get into the flavor based questions I want to point out a contradiction.

Quote:

Expose Weakness (Ex): The stalker vigilante can use sneaky tricks in order to make it easier to damage a foe, whether it be throwing a fine dust of cold iron over a fey or melting a glob of silver onto a lycanthrope’s hide. The stalker vigilante can add the ability to reduce a creature’s damage reduction or hardness by 10 to the list of options when attempting a dirty trick combat maneuver check (Pathfinder RPG Advanced Player’s Guide 320). This does not stack with itself, and it does not work against creatures

with DR/—.

From what I understand the intent is to let the vigilante bypass the DR or hardness and then the GM comes up with how it happened. If this is the case then it should be noted that the beginning text is flavor text. However as written it could seem as if the materials needed have to already be in place. If this is the case then this ability is very circumstantial.

If this is another GM discretion ability then it should noted so players know up front.

Quote:


Foe Collision* (Ex): The stalker vigilante shoves one of his foes into another. When the stalker vigilante deals hidden strike damage with a melee attack, he can also deal an amount of nonlethal damage equal to the extra damage from hidden strike to an opponent adjacent to the first (even if the second opponent is out of his reach). Unlike normal, this vigilante talent applies to any successful
hidden strike.

I read this one as the vigilante has a means to deal extra damage to an opponent that is adjacent to the targeted opponent. However if the first opponent is a stone golem(just one example) I can see a GM calling for a strength check or combat maneuver check. Is the "shove" flavor text?

The following are not flavor based questions.

Quote:


Divine Training II (Ex): The zealot vigilante gains the ability to cast one 2nd-level spell per day and increases the number of 1st-level spells he can cast per day by three. A zealot vigilante must be at least 4th level, have a Charisma 12 or higher, and have the divine training I base ability to select this talent.

Is this saying he gain an "additional" number of spells that he can cast beyond what the spellcasting table for the class gives, or is the intent that you must take the other divine training in order to cast spells normally?

I found the answer. The book says "* A zealot vigilante only knows spells of this level only if he has the appropriate talent to cast spells of this level."


Whenever the point-buy or rolling discussions start some says point-buy enables/encourages min-maxing because people put the dump the stat they dont need such as charisma.
However if someone rolls for stats, no matter if they get decent rolls or super rolls, the lowest stat is still going into the less needed stat if that is how the play the game. I really understand that point/argument if neither rolling not point-buy stops that behaviour.

If someone can explain this I am all ears.


31 people marked this as FAQ candidate. 1 person marked this as a favorite.

When classes such as sorcerers or bloodragers get free bonus spells known due to their class features, such as the sorcerer bloodline, how is the level of the spell determined? <---FAQ question.

For those of you who may want to say just go by whatever level it normally counts as for that class I agree, but the oracle gets a spell early due to an FAQ. There may also be times when a class gets access to a spell it does not normally have access to, such as an arcane class gaining access to a divine spell.

I thought there was a rule or dev comment on it, but I was not able to find it.


During actual gameplay higher level characters not backed by magic can fall from incredible heights and walk away and survive in fire for a ridiculously long time by normal person standards.
On the other hand even a high level character in a novel would likely die from falling from a very high place or falling in lava.

In your games do you assume a transformation into superheroes or do you use some combination of flavor and/or handwaving certain things that are beyond any human with regard to taking damage?


37 people marked this as FAQ candidate. 1 person marked this as a favorite.
Quote:
Cowering: The character is frozen in fear and can take no actions. A cowering character takes a –2 penalty to Armor Class and loses his Dexterity bonus (if any).
Quote:
Dazed: The creature is unable to act normally. A dazed creature can take no actions, but has no penalty to AC.
Quote:
Stunned: A stunned creature drops everything held, can't take actions, takes a –2 penalty to AC, and loses its Dexterity bonus to AC (if any).

In the game the conditions listed above say you can not take actions. I am sure they mean you can not use the game term of "actions", but they may also apply to the non-game definition and other cases that are not directly spelled out.

In a game similar to Pathfinder that shall not be named there were other things you could not do. Examples follow from official sources:

Quote:
In general, if you cannot use a standard action during your turn, you also cannot make an attack of opportunity during someone else's turn. When the notes on conditions in Part One say that you cannot act (for example, when stunned), you cannot make an attack of opportunity.
Quote:
You can take a 5-foot step anytime you don't otherwise move across the battlefield. You usually take a 5-foot step before, after, or during another action. The rules don't say so, but it's best to assume that you cannot take a 5-foot step unless you can take at least a move action during your turn.

Here is my question for the PDT team, and for everyone who is curious to FAQ. Do these(cowering, dazed, stunned) conditions allow someone to take a 5-foot step, take attacks of opportunity or other non-actions such as delaying.

PS: The 3.5 rules are simply there for precedence in case anyone is wondering why others would make such statements. I do no leg in this race with regard to if they are upheld or not. I just want an answer.


77 people marked this as FAQ candidate. Staff response: no reply required. 2 people marked this as a favorite.

It seems that different people have different ideas on what counts as immediate dangers and distractions that would make taking 10 not possible. I understand that every possible case can not be listed, but I think the following list can be answered and if possible we would like a good rule of thumb to follow.

Do the following prevent taking 10 while not in combat?

Swimming

climbing

Perception (to locate a trap)

Perception (reactive check to locate hiding enemy)

Disable device (disarm a trap)


21 people marked this as FAQ candidate.

The question for FAQ is --> Is the signature skill unlock for the Use Magic Device skill supposed to work when you roll a natural 1 and fail the check?

Below are the skill unlocks for use magic device. They both imply that if you roll a natural you take a -10 penalty on a reattempt, however you can reroll with no penalty by the normal rules anyway. The rules is that if you roll a natural 1 and you fail then you can not use that item for 24 hours.

unchained wrote:


10 Ranks: If you roll a natural 1 when activating an item,
you take a –10 penalty on Use Magic Device checks with that
item for 24 hours instead of being unable to activate it. This
penalty stacks with itself.
unchained wrote:


20 Ranks: If you roll a natural 1 when activating an item,
you can reroll the check at a –10 penalty to activate the item.
You must take the result of the second check, even if it is
worse, and you can’t reroll it again.

Mark Seifter intended for the "If you roll a natural 1...." to be "If you roll a natural 1 and fail to activate an item...."

Mark Seifter wrote:
Huh, I actually changed it to "If you roll a natural 1 and fail to activate an item"...

This change allows for this skill unlock to actually work.

Press the FAQ button please.


21 people marked this as FAQ candidate. 1 person marked this as a favorite.

How does burrowing work?

I ask because when Pathfinder was made a few definitions/rules did not get copy and pasted over, but the abilities made the transition from 3.5 to Pathfinder. With Pathfinder wanting to be its own game we can't just say "well use 3.5".

Here is 3.5 burrow:

Quote:


Burrow (Ex)
A creature with a burrow speed can tunnel through dirt, but not through rock unless the descriptive text says otherwise. Creatures cannot charge or run while burrowing. Most burrowing creatures do not leave behind tunnels other creatures can use (either because the material they tunnel through fills in behind them or because they do not actually dislocate any material when burrowing); see the individual creature descriptions for details.

I am not suggesting that Paizo use 3.5's definition, but I am suggesting that we get a rule so we know how it works. It would help to know if the creature does or does not leave an hole behind, as an example.

The purpose of this is to get it FAQ's so Paizo can give us an official definition/rule.


17 people marked this as FAQ candidate. 1 person marked this as a favorite.

It seems as though there is going to be an FAQ or errata to the rules saying that a 10 by 10 area is the limit for move action perception checks.

Some interpret that to mean you need them to pick up on things that a reactive check is used for "observable stimulus", may not notice.

The question is "what counts as observable stimulus"?

I understand that a complete list can't be given but examples would help.

Would a hidden door that is in line of sight count?

Would a hidden door count that is behind a curtain?

Would you get a reactive check to notice someone hiding by using stealth and/or invisibility?

Press the FAQ button please. If they are going to errata perception I think it makes sense to get as many questions out of the way at one time instead of having one FAQ/errata spawn more FAQ's.


52 people marked this as FAQ candidate. 3 people marked this as a favorite.

This will consist of more than one question to avoid multiple FAQ's.

1. Can you jump while charging and still complete the charge?

2. If you can jump while charging, is there a point where you jump high enough to no longer be considered "moving in a straight line" and therefore end the charge, or make the charge not rules legal?

3. If there is a limit to how high you can jump, and still charge what is that limit?

To those of you reading this no matter what your opinion is I would like for you to press the FAQ button.

PS: I know the words "straight line" are not in the book, but that is basically what is implied.


I have a decent, but not really good amount of info on Dark Sun*. If I use it I will follow the core setting, and there is a 99% I will not have clerics or paladin. I have not decided on oracles yet.

I know about defilers, scarcity of water, Thri-kreen, psionics, dragon kings, and a the races that are setting specific.

Now to the question. Which AP(3.5 and Pathfinder) would work there? I understand that I have to modify locations, and maybe even create a few of my own, but I want the general story idea to be in tact.

*I know about the 3.5 site and I have the documents. I just have not read them in detail yet.


Many times when discussing wizards and sorcerers the notion that they may not have the "right" spell comes up. However for all of my gaming career needing the right(perfect) spell for a situation is not really needed. Many times there are several ways to overcome a problem, so even if you have not prepared or learn the best spell you often have a spell that is good enough to work. That is why I think the arcanist quick study is over rated unless you(general statement) just have the bad luck of not picking any spell, and/or nobody else in the party can solve the problem.

Short version: How common is it for the party wizards and sorcerers to not be able to do something to contribute to a problem, that nobody else can solve either?


Some AP's such as Kingmaker use the rules for running a kingdom. WotR uses the Mythic rules. Are there any other special rules used for this, or are the mythic rules the only ones I would need to worry about?


11 people marked this as FAQ candidate. 1 person marked this as a favorite.

This FAQ was presented before by Jiggy, and it was marked as "answered in FAQ", but it has not been answered so I am going to try this again.
I am just going to copy and paste what Jiggy wrote the first time instead of fumbling over the words myself.

Jiggy wrote:

There's some disagreement on this, and I think the conflict is reasonable:

In the Skills chapter, the rules for Take 10 state that you can do so unless the situation prevents you (this is not a discussion about that, so take it elsewhere). In certain skill descriptions (UMD, and a footnote in Swim), T10 is forbidden.

One would be led to conclude, then, that all the rest of the skills are eligible for T10 unless the situation prevents it.

But then there are things like the bard's Lore Master ability, the Childlike feat, and a couple of others that say "you can take 10 on such-and-such a check" but do not include the phrase "even while threatened or distracted".

There are two interpretations of this fact:
1. Since it doesn't say "even while threatened", it doesn't allow you to do so. Therefore, it only allows you to take 10 under mundane circumstances. This in turn implies that the associated skill is normally not eligible for T10. If this is the case, then the Skills chapter needs errata to reflect that restriction, so please click "FAQ" at the top of this post if you believe this interpretation is correct.

2. The extra line ("even while threatened") that appears in some abilities is inherent to the abilities, and those places where it is spelled out is merely a courtesy. The Skills chapter is correct, and only UMD (and certain instances of Swim) is excluded from normal T10 rules. If this is the case, then having a FAQ entry clarifying this would be helpful, so please click "FAQ" at the top of this post.

If you're not sure which of these two interpretations is correct, then guess what? Please click "FAQ" at the top of this post so this can be clarified.

If you feel like debating how T10 works in general, then please take it elsewhere.

Thanks!


1 person marked this as FAQ candidate.

I have always seen the Mage's Disjunction spell as a magical affect that come into play shut down other magic an go away, but leaving lasting affects.

However there is nothing in the book to support that. I understand that with regard to spells they undo spells completely, but for magical items they are only turned them off, so per RAW you should be able to dispel a mage's disjunction. The fact that I have never seen it mentioned in anywhere has made me wonder if others just made the same assumption that I did, or has it just not been mentioned for other reason.

For the sake of anyone wishing to FAQ this the question is "Can you dispel or disjunction Mage's Disjunction?".

edit: heavily edited due to a rules error on my part.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Below is a slightly altered build I had before.
The mutagen and any extracts are not included in the statblock, but I will show where I included them when calculating the numbers.

Investigator:

Igor the Invesigator
Half-orc investigator 11 (Pathfinder RPG Advanced Class Guide 30)
LN Medium humanoid (human, orc)
Init +1; Senses darkvision 60 ft.; Perception +26
--------------------
Defense
--------------------
AC 20, touch 12, flat-footed 19 (+7 armor, +1 deflection, +1 Dex, +1 natural)
hp 69 (11d8+11)
Fort +9, Ref +11, Will +11
Defensive Abilities orc ferocity, trap sense +3; Immune poison
--------------------
Offense
--------------------
Speed 30 ft.
Melee +2 inspired sword cane +19/+14 (1d6+11) or
. . dagger +17/+12 (1d4+9/19-20) or
. . morningstar +17/+12 (1d8+9)
Ranged +1 adaptive composite shortbow +15/+10 (1d6+10/×3)
Special Attacks studied combat (+5, 4 rounds), studied strike +4d6
Investigator Extracts Prepared (CL 11th; concentration +15)
. . 4th—echolocation[UM], freedom of movement, restoration
. . 3rd—fly (2), haste (2), tongues
. . 2nd—barkskin (2), investigative mind[ACG], invisibility (2)
. . 1st—comprehend languages, cure light wounds, disguise self, identify, long arm[ACG] (2)
--------------------
Statistics
--------------------
Str 19, Dex 13, Con 12, Int 19, Wis 12, Cha 9
Base Atk +8; CMB +17; CMD 24
Feats Extra Investigator Talent[ACG], Extra Investigator Talent[ACG], Furious Focus[APG], Great Fortitude, Power Attack, Skill Focus (Perception)
Skills Acrobatics +5, Appraise +8, Bluff +16, Climb +8, Diplomacy +16, Disable Device +22, Disguise +16, Intimidate +4, Knowledge (arcana) +11, Knowledge (dungeoneering) +8, Knowledge (engineering) +8, Knowledge (geography) +8, Knowledge (history) +8, Knowledge (local) +12, Knowledge (nature) +8, Knowledge (nobility) +9, Knowledge (planes) +8, Knowledge (religion) +8, Linguistics +18, Perception +26, Sense Motive +15, Sleight of Hand +5, Spellcraft +18, Stealth +25; Racial Modifiers +2 Intimidate
Languages Abyssal, Celestial, Common, Draconic, Dwarven, Elven, Giant, Gnome, Goblin, Halfling, Infernal, Orc, Polyglot, Sylvan, Tengu, Tien, Varisian
SQ alchemy (alchemy crafting +11), inspiration (9/day), investigator talents (charmer, coax information, combat inspiration, eidetic recollection, expanded inspiration, honeyed words, mutagen), keen recollection, mutagen (+4/-2, +2 natural armor, 110 minutes), orc blood, poison lore, swift alchemy, trapfinding +5
Other Gear +3 shadow, improved mithral chain shirt, +1 adaptive composite shortbow (+2 Str), +2 inspired sword cane, arrows (40), blunt arrows (40), dagger, morningstar, amulet of natural armor +1, belt of giant strength +2, circlet of persuasion, cloak of resistance +3, eyes of the eagle, handy haversack, headband of vast intelligence +2, ring of protection +1, alchemy crafting kit, backpack, bedroll, belt pouch, flint and steel, ink, black, inkpen, masterwork thieves' tools, mess kit, pot, soap, torch (10), trail rations (5), waterskin, 4,874 gp
--------------------
Special Abilities
--------------------
Alchemy +11 (Su) +11 to Craft (Alchemy) to create alchemical items, can Id potions by touch.
Charmer (3/day) (Ex) Can roll 2d20 for Diplomacy check and take the better result.
Circlet of persuasion +3 competence bonus to CHA-based checks (skills already included).
Coax information (Ex) Can use Bluff or Diplomacy to force an opponent to act friendly.
Combat Inspiration (Ex) Applying inspiration to attacks/saves only costs 1 point.
Darkvision (60 feet) You can see in the dark (black and white vision only).
Eidetic Recollection (Su) Can always take 10 on Knowledge checks, use 1 inspiration to take 20.
Expanded Inspiration (Ex) Free Inspiration on Diplomacy, Heal, Perception, Profession, Sense Motive (if trained).
Furious Focus If you are wielding a weapon in two hands, ignore the penalty for your first attack of each turn.
Honeyed Words (3/day) (Ex) Can roll 2d20 for Bluff check and take the better result.
Immunity to Poison You are immune to poison.
Inspiration (+1d6, 9/day) (Ex) Use 1 point, +1d6 to trained skill or ability check. Use 2 points, to add to attack or save.
Mutagen This discovery gives the alchemist the mutagen class ability, as described in the Advanced Player's Guide. (This discovery exists so alchemist archetypes who have variant mutagens, such as the mindchemist, can learn how to make standard mutage
Mutagen (DC 19) (Su) Mutagen adds +4 to a physical & -2 to a mental attribute, and +2 nat. armor for 110 minutes.
Orc Blood Half-orcs count as both humans and orcs for any effect related to race.
Orc Ferocity (1/day) If brought below 0 Hp, can act as though disabled for 1 rd.
Poison Lore (Ex) After 1 min can use Know to ID poisons, 1 min more to neutralize with Craft (alchemy).
Power Attack -3/+6 You can subtract from your attack roll to add to your damage.
Studied Combat (+5, 4 rounds) (Ex) As a move action, study foe to gain bonus to att & dam for duration or until use studied strike.
Studied Strike +4d6 (Ex) As a free action on a melee hit, end studied combat vs. foe to add precision dam.
Swift Alchemy (Ex) You can construct alchemical items in half the normal time.
Trap Sense +3 (Ex) +3 bonus on reflex saves and AC against traps.
Trapfinding +5 Gain a bonus to find or disable traps, including magical ones.

For purpose of studied strike I will assume studied combat was in play for the first attack, and then turned off for all other attacks in that round

No mutagen no extract, no mutagen, no haste just studied combat and studied strike with power attack and furious focus.

DPR 36.58 This numbers seems a bit high, but not more than 2 or 3 so I will say it is a nonfactor.

Now to add in the mutagen giving strength a +4 alchemical bonus, haste, and flanking.

DPR 74.52

Now of this version also has the inspiring enhancement, but it can only be used for 10 attacks, assuming it never comes up at any other point, since this investigator has 10 uses. Each use last for one attack, not for the entire round.

It is a free action however and with the talent and inspriration that 1d6 is doubled for an average of 7 to the attack roll.

Adding this to the 2nd iterative attack from haste pushes the DPR up to 81.21.

I do not know which extracts would best boost DPR so I will let someone else make a suggestion or if you have an investigator build present it. You can do the math or I can do the math.

This link inspired this thread.

The idea is to have a build that is playable in a real game, not something that has saves of +3 at level 11 and an AC of 15 just to do a lot of damage.


I thought I saw a way to sacrifice a cleric's normal spell for whatever domain spell he prepared that day. However I can't find it. It may have also been 3.5 or a 3rd party ability.


Disclaimer: I am just asking a question. I am not attacking anyone. <-----In before someone assumes I am.

There are certain topics that come up all the time. They typically go the same way every time with regard to point/counterpoint. Sometimes a new person will bring up the topic again, but sometimes someone who is very aware of these topics will do so. I know this because they will say something such as "It seems the common opinion on the boards is ......"

My question is this---> What are you/they(for those who have not done so) expecting to happen? Do you have a new thought that has never been presented? Is there something that gives you a reason to think things will be different this time?

Before someone comes in and says:
"You are not the forum police?",

"Why are you so angry?"

"If you don't like it don't read it."

or tries to perform some other mind reading attempt I will remind you, that none of those apply to this topic---> I am just asking a question.

I might not even reply unless prompted because Wraithstrike is in listening mode, not debate mode, at least for this topic. :)

PS: I am not referring to "paladin fall" threads because they normally are unique situations, even if the answer is normally clear.

PS2: I am not referring to rules threads either such as stealth and grapple.


12 people marked this as FAQ candidate. 1 person marked this as a favorite.
Teleport wrote:

Familiarity: “Very familiar” is a place where you have been very often and where you feel at home. “Studied carefully” is a place you know well, either because you can currently physically see it or you've been there often. “Seen casually” is a place that you have seen more than once but with which you are not very familiar. “Viewed once” is a place that you have seen once, possibly using magic such as scrying.

The spell itself says that scrying can be used to satisfy view once.

Discern Location wrote:

A discern location spell is among the most powerful means of locating creatures or objects. Nothing short of a mind blank spell or the direct intervention of a deity keeps you from learning the exact location of a single individual or object. Discern location circumvents normal means of protection from scrying or location. The spell reveals the name of the creature or object's location (place, name, business name, building name, or the like), community, county (or similar political division), country, continent, and the plane of existence where the target lies.

To find a creature with the spell, you must have seen the creature or have some item that once belonged to it. To find an object, you must have touched it at least once.

This spell says it gives you the exact location. However later on it says it gives you the name. Some are saying it gives you the name, but you do know where the place is, which to me means you do not know the exact location. I can drive through or to a small town without knowing the name. I can also know the name of a place I can't find so I don't see knowing where something is, and knowing the name as being equivalent.

The question is this--> How does Discern Location factor in when used with Scrying to qualify as familiarity for the Teleport spell?


14 people marked this as FAQ candidate. 2 people marked this as a favorite.

In a recent thread someone pointed out that you can use aid another to aid someone who is affected by a spell, but the rule is not clear on what this aid is. It could be throwing water on someone to give them a second save. It could be using a standard action to wake someone up from a sleep spell. It could mean they actually get a +2 to any saving throw somehow.

Here is the text:

Quote:

Aid Another

In melee combat, you can help a friend attack or defend by distracting or interfering with an opponent. If you're in position to make a melee attack on an opponent that is engaging a friend in melee combat, you can attempt to aid your friend as a standard action. You make an attack roll against AC 10. If you succeed, your friend gains either a +2 bonus on his next attack roll against that opponent or a +2 bonus to AC against that opponent's next attack (your choice), as long as that attack comes before the beginning of your next turn. Multiple characters can aid the same friend, and similar bonuses stack.

You can also use this standard action to help a friend in other ways, such as when he is affected by a spell, or to assist another character's skill check.

So the question is in what way can you use aid another to assist someone affected by a spell. Is it intended to give a +2 to the save against any spell or is there another meaning behind the wording?


Every time I run a campaign I try a new rule out. One of my next experiments is to change the TWF'ing rules do they take up two less feats. I was going to do this by allowing the two weapon fighting feat to scale automatically based on your BAB.

So at BAB of +6 you get your second offhand attack, and at a BAB of +11 you get the third off hand attack. However I wanted to also know if anyone else has tried this, and has it caused any problem?

Does anyone see any potential problems?


20 people marked this as FAQ candidate. 1 person marked this as a favorite.

The summon monster and summon nature's ally spells allow you to summon various elementals. The newer bestiaries have new elemental types such as the Ice and Lightning elementals. It seems that most people are of the opinion that since there is no working saying that only the bestiary 1 elementals are allowed that any new elementals can be summoned also.

So here is the question: Are the bestiary 1 elementals such as the fire, water, earth, and air, elementals the only ones allowed to be summoned with the summon monster and nature's ally spells?


14 people marked this as FAQ candidate.

According to the general rules for activation of a magical item, mental activation is an option for magic items.

However if you look at the magic item rules, specifically for rings, the rules list certain ways to use them.
One is "command word" to activate it, its effects work continually, and the last method is unusual activation which much be specified in the ring's description.

So is mental activation an option for a ring or must you use a command word unless mental activation is called out? If mental activation is an option how do you know which rings use it?


33 people marked this as FAQ candidate. Answered in the FAQ. 1 person marked this as a favorite.

As a spinoff from the thread concerning CL affecting magic item effect duration comes a new question.

Do magical effects with a specified duration, activated from command word magic items terminate before the duration is up if the magic item 1) leaves the possession of the activator for non-slotted items or 2) is removed from the worn slot for slotted items.

1) would be like the previously proposed orb that bestows a 1 hour mage armor 5/day
2) would be like the 3 minute invisibility from the ring of invisibility, or the 1 hour temporary hit points from the vampiric gloves

For the purpose of this question we are not counting staves, or wands since they actually cast spells.


8 people marked this as FAQ candidate.

Most traits that give a bonus specifically call them out as a trait bonus. Some give bonuses with no type. Is it intended for all traits to only give trait bonuses, or was it intentional for some traits to give untyped bonuses?

Example:

Quote:
Ease of Faith: Your mentor, the person who invested your faith in you from an early age, took steps to ensure that you understood that what powers your divine magic is no different than that which powers the magic of other religions. This philosophy makes it easier for you to interact with others who may not share your views. You gain a +1 bonus on Diplomacy checks, and Diplomacy is always a class skill for you.

This trait gives an untyped bonus as written.


Ultimate Combat has no date for the latest update in the FAQ.


I noticed this a few months ago, and I don't know if it has been reported, but when a book is updated in the FAQ the date of that update is shown. However for the CRB there is no date at all.

If this has already been mentioned then carry on. :)


What is the point of this thread?
First I will tell you what I am not doing.
I am not telling anyone how to run their games.

I am not saying you have to cater to powergamers(whatever you think that means) or snowflakes.

I am saying that when you put out an invite for a game that you should(I am suggesting) be very clear about what you expect from players.

As an example if I list a game I will at the least list character creation rules with the sources permitted for use at a minimum. Normally I take it a step farther and have a campaign guide with houserules that you can download. I also let players know that their characters can die. That why they know not to play as if they will be protected by the GM.

As a GM instead of using words such as rules lawyer and power gamer, you can go into a deeper explanationn. You can say "Do not question the rules during the game. We can discuss it after the game." You can also say "I don't like it when players only bring up an incorrect rule if it benefits them" depending on what your definition of a rules lawyer is.

As for power gaming, one person's super character is someone else's standard character or even subpar character. It is much more beneficial to say something like, do not push your AC to 55 by level 10. That way if you say no powergaming people will know what your standard is.

TLDR: Give players clear descriptions of what you want in a game. It helps everyone, and less people(you and the players) will spend needles time playing together before finding out you are not compatible. This is just advice, and it is not intended to offend anyone.

PS: No, I have not kicked myself out of an incompatible game recently, but these terms are tossed around, and I see it as bad communication, especially with the lack of house rules listed, and the very bare character creation rules on various sites.

PS2: No, I did not forget other gaming terms. I just used those two because they seem to be the most popular ones.


I don't have a name for this yet, but it the idea is that applying this will make someone quicker and better at fighting in darkness

+2 strength
+2 constitution
+2 intelligence
+4 dexerity
+4 initiative
SLA: at-darkness, 3/day deeper darkness

SQ: See in darkness

The should add a +1 to the CR of a creature. Do I need to add more or take something away?


What are the map folios for AP's like?

Are they an overview of the nation/region the AP takes place in?

Are they reprints of rooms that fights take place in?

Are they just for decoration(to hang on a wall, but no practical use)?


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Stealth
(Dex; Armor Check Penalty)
You are skilled at avoiding detection, allowing you to slip past foes or strike from an unseen position. This skill covers hiding and moving silently.

Check: Your Stealth check is opposed by the Perception check of anyone who might notice you. Creatures that fail to beat your Stealth check are not aware of you and treat you as if you had concealment.

You can move up to half your normal speed and use Stealth at no penalty. When moving at a speed greater than half but less than your normal speed, you take a –5 penalty. It's impossible to use Stealth while attacking, running, or charging.
Creatures gain a bonus or penalty on Stealth checks based on their size: Fine +16, Diminutive +12, Tiny +8, Small +4, Medium +0, Large -4, Huge -8, Gargantuan -12, Colossal -16.
If people are observing you using any of their senses (but typically sight), you can't use Stealth. Against most creatures, finding cover or concealment allows you to use Stealth, even if the creature is observing you*.

*Cover and concealment are relative, so you may be able to stealth against one creature, but not against another creature. As an example if a creature has blindsight and you are within the range of its blindsight then you can not stealth against it, even if you have concealment.

If your observers are momentarily distracted (such as by a Bluff check), you can attempt to use Stealth. While the others turn their attention from you, you can attempt a Stealth check if you can get to an unobserved place of some kind. This check, however, is made at a –10 penalty because you have to move fast.

Special: If you are invisible, you gain a +40 bonus on Stealth checks if you are immobile, or a +20 bonus on Stealth checks if you're moving to avoid being pinpointed. Use the chart under invisibility in the glossary to determine how additional modifiers will affect your stealth bonus. The same chart also applies to your stealth check when not invisible. As an example if you are speaking in a normal voice it is a -20 to your stealth check. If you are speaking within the hearing range of another creature then it may not be possible to use stealth against them as you would be observed by their hearing. Whispering imparts a -5 modifier, to your stealth check, and your allies may need to make perception checks to hear you. The enemy may also make perception checks to hear you. If they can hear you whisper however, and you have already used stealth against them successfully it only gives them your direction but it does not pinpoint your location unless they can beat your stealth DC.

If you have the Stealthy feat, you get a bonus on Stealth checks (see Feats).

As of now I am undecided as to whether or not I should require total concealment for someone to hide if they are being observed by eyesight


This might get moved to the house rule section<---Disclaimer.

With that said the invisibility rules have a "notice" rule that means you can know an invisible creature is within 30 feet of you. I don't think the rule, while having good intentions, add more complexity to already complex rules.

However, since I want to modify the stealth and invisibility rules so they are easier to understand, and make sense I wanted the opinion of other people. This rewrite will likely be presented by next Tuesday(hopefully). From there I will present it to the community so they(you) can nit pick it, and let me know where RAW may not match RAI.

Basically----> Would you care if the "notice rule" was erased from the invisibility section?


1 person marked this as FAQ candidate.

Let's say I have an SLA that references a spell, but does not have the same name as the spell.
Let's also say the spell takes a full round action to cast.

Does it take a standard action or a full round action to use the SLA.

Example follows

Quote:


Bigger(sp): This ability works as though casting a enlarge person.
Quote:


School transmutation; Level sorcerer/wizard 1
Casting Time 1 round
Components V, S, M (powdered iron)
PRD wrote:


Spell-Like Abilities: Usually, a spell-like ability works just like the spell of that name. A spell-like ability has no verbal, somatic, or material component, nor does it require a focus. The user activates it mentally. Armor never affects a spell-like ability's use, even if the ability resembles an arcane spell with a somatic component.
A spell-like ability has a casting time of 1 standard action unless noted otherwise in the ability or spell description. In all other ways, a spell-like ability functions just like a spell.

Does it take a standard action or a full round action to cast "Bigger"?


4 people marked this as FAQ candidate.
Quote:

Magma Tomb (Su):

Once per day, a great wyrm magma dragon can spit lava onto a target within 120 feet, dealing damage normally for its breath weapon. This magma cools instantly—it does not continue doing damage at this point but does entrap the victim (DC equals the dragon’s breath weapon save DC, 3d6 minutes, hardness 8, hp 45).

You are basically surrounded by a wall much like you would be if you failed the reflex for being entrapped by wall of stone. So does FoM give the "wall" a middle finger, or would is being trapped by a wall of stone or this dragon ability beyond FoM since you are basically surrounded?

PS: If you are in my RotRL game this is not for you, so don't worry.. :)


6 people marked this as FAQ candidate.
Quote:

DEBILITATING PORTENT

School enchantment (compulsion) [mind-affecting]; Level cleric 4, witch 4
Casting Time 1 standard action
Components V, S, DF
Range medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Target one creature
Duration 1 round/level (D) see text
Saving Throw none; Spell Resistance yes
The target is surrounded by a glowing green aura of ill fate. Each time the spell's subject makes an attack or casts a spell, it must succeed at a Will saving throw with a DC = 10 + 1/2 caster level + Charisma (in the case of oracles), Intelligence (in the case of witches), or Wisdom (in the case of clerics). If it fails the saving throw, it deals half damage with the attack or spell. You can dismiss this spell as an immediate action when the target confirms a critical hit; doing so negates the critical hit. The attack that you negated still hits, but only deals half damage.

I am sure they intended to say "attribute" modifier, but as written you add the actual attribute, so someone with charisma of 26 would add +26 to the DC, not +8.

FAQ so it can be errata'd please. :)


2 people marked this as FAQ candidate.

According to the rules when a caster loses a level he does not lose the spell slot. That makes since because that removes any character rebuilding, which was not fun in 3.5.

However it is basically understood that to cast a spell of level ____, and to have access to spell slots of a certain level you still need to have a certain caster level.

Let's say the following takes place:

I am originally an 11th level wizard which give me access to 6th level spells. I get ambushed by a vampire. After the energy drain hits me I am down by two negative levels. Do I still have access to my 6th level spells or can I only access spell slots that are at level 5 and below?


4 people marked this as FAQ candidate.
Quote:


RESONATING WORD
School transmutation [sonic]; Level bard 5, sorcerer/wizard 7
Casting Time 1 standard action
Components V
Range medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Target one creature
Duration 3 rounds
Saving Throw Fortitude partial; Spell Resistance yes
You speak a terrible word of power, setting up potentially lethal vibrations in the chosen target. The target must save once each round on your turn, and the effects grow stronger for each saving throw the creature fails.

On the first round, the target takes 5d6 points of sonic damage and is staggered for 1 round. A successful save halves the damage and negates the staggered effect.

On the second round, the target takes 5d6 points of damage and is stunned for 1 round. A successful save halves the damage and negates the stunning effect.

On the third round, the target takes 10d6 points of damage and is stunned for 1d4+1 rounds. A successful save halves the damage and negates the stunning effect.

The resonating word has no power after the third round, even if the spell's duration is increased.

This came up in my game tonight. I just let it go to move things along, and by the time it was noticed the fight was over anyway, but I think it is poorly written and deserves an FAQ.

The spell has a duration of 3 rounds and it list what happens each round with no verbage saying that a made save ends the spell.

It also specifically says that each "failed save" gives a greater affect.

So if I get to round 3, but I make the first two saves do I have to save against the affects of round 1 or the affects round 3?

FAQ please.

1 to 50 of 358 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | next > last >>

©2002–2016 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.