About Yangzhun Chen
6 (lvl 1) + 3 (lvl 2) + 4 (CON x 2 lvls) + 1 (favored class x1)
Current hp 14
Fort +2 Ref +1 Will +5
==FEATS & TRAITS==
• Bloatmage Initiate (1st Level Bonus Human): Your introduction to the ways of the bloatmage allows you to use elaborate rituals and gruesome rites to increase the amount of blood and lymph in your body, expanding your reserves of magical energy.
Prerequisite: Spell Focus (any school).
Benefit: You learn the basics of the ancient art of hemotheurgy. Pick one school of magic in which you possess the Spell Focus feat—you cast spells from this school of magic at +1 caster level. This bonus stacks with the bonus from Spell Focus. Unfortunately, the bloating side effects increase your girth to such a point that you are constantly under the effects of a medium load—your maximum bonus to AC from Dexterity is +3, you gain an armor check penalty of –3, and your speed decreases as appropriate (generally from 30 feet to 20 feet for a Medium creature).
• Scribe Scroll [Item Creation] (1st Level Wizard Bonus): You can create magic scrolls.
Prerequisite: Caster level 1st.
Benefit: You can create a scroll of any spell that you know. Scribing a scroll takes 2 hours if its base price is 250 gp or less, otherwise scribing a scroll takes 1 day for each 1,000 gp in its base price. To scribe a scroll, you must use up raw materials costing half of this base price.
• Spell Focus (Transmutation) (1st Level): Choose a school of magic. Any spells you cast of that school are more difficult to resist.
Benefit: Add +1 to the Difficulty Class for all saving throws against spells from the school of magic you select.
==SKILLS & LANGUAGES==
Ranks: 15 (4 class + 8 Intelligence + 2 human +1 favored class)
• Acrobatics -2
• Appraise* +4
• Bluff -2
• Climb -2
• Craft (alchemy)* +9 [2 ranks]
• Craft (painting)* +8 [1 rank]
• Diplomacy -2
• Disable Device
• Disguise -2
• Escape Artist -2
• Handle Animal
• Heal +3 [1 rank]
• Intimidate -2
• Knowledge (arcana)* +9 [2 ranks]
• Knowledge (dungeoneering)* +8 [1 rank]
• Knowledge (engineering)*
• Knowledge (geography)* +9 [1 rank]
• Knowledge (history)* +8 [1 rank]
• Knowledge (local)*
• Knowledge (nature)* +9 [2 ranks]
• Knowledge (nobility)*
• Knowledge (planes)* +8 [1 rank]
• Knowledge (religion)* +8 [1 rank]
• Linguistics* +8 [1 rank]
• Perception +2
• Perform -2
• Ride -2
• Sense Motive +2
• Sleight of Hand
• Spellcraft* +9 [2 ranks]
• Stealth -2
• Survival +2
• Swim -2
• Use Magic Device
Has a -3 armor check penalty
Languages Tien*, Common*, Abyssal, Draconic, Infernal, Thassilonian, Varisian
==CLASS & RACIAL ABILITIES==
• +2 to One Ability Score (Intelligence): Human characters get a +2 bonus to one ability score of their choice at creation to represent their varied nature.
• Medium: Humans are Medium creatures and have no bonuses or penalties due to their size.
• Normal Speed: Humans have a base speed of 30 feet.
• Bonus Feat: Humans select one extra feat at 1st level.
• Skilled: Humans gain an additional skill rank at first level and one additional rank whenever they gain a level.
• Languages: Humans begin play speaking Common. Humans with high Intelligence scores can choose any languages they want (except secret languages, such as Druidic).
• Favored Class: wizard (Favored Class Bonuses: +1 hp, +1 skill point)
School Specialization: Transmutation (Enhancement subschool)
Opposition Schools: Enchantment, Illusion
Caster Level: 2nd (3rd for Transmutation spells)
Spell DCs: 14 + spell level (15 + spell level for transmutation)
Spells per Day: 0 - 4 (at will)
Spellbook (pages used 36):
Combat Gear: quarterstaff, dagger, scroll of mage armor x2, scroll of magic weapon, scroll of comprehend languages, scroll of enlarge person
Other Gear: spellbook, spell component pouch, scroll case, belt pouch, backpack, waterskin, trail rations (2 days), artisan’s tools (paints, brushes, canvas), bedroll, blanket, caltrops, ink, pen, rice paper (10 sheets), antitoxin
Carries – 31 lbs
Yangzhun Chen is a bit taller than average than most Tian expatriates who find their way to Avistan, which is a good thing considering his considerable girth. Like most bloatmages, he is quite obese, although considering he is a vegetarian and eats sparingly, it’s obvious it stems completely from the arcane rituals he subjects his body to. A Tian-Shu, he has a dusky complexion, but a paler than typical due to the little amount of time he spends in the sun. His eyes are brown, and he keeps his body almost totally shaved of hair (as it’s at least 50% gray now when he lets it grow in).
Yang is quiet and generally unfriendly; most folks would consider him “grouchy” or “curmudgeonly”. He’s haunted by his past, and often spends long periods of time staring into empty space. His only real escape is when he paints, and is actually quite skilled in watercolors.
Yangzhun Chen originally hails from the Tian Xia nation of Lingshen, one of the successor states of the former Imperial Lung Wa. Only son of a mid-level advisor (and sorcerer), Yang was being groomed for the same function. Unfortunately, while sorcerous ability was commonplace in his family, Yang was born with no ability in that area whatsoever. He turned to wizardly study instead, something he showed a talent for, but became obsessed with trying to discover the link between arcane magic and the blood.
Yang’s experiments on animals (and, some whispered, people) brought great shame to his family, and after a few mysterious deaths of elders in the village, he was forced to flee for his life. After making the acquaintance of an Avistani Pathfinder in the city of Goka, he eventually made his way over the Crown of the World to Varisia. The study of hemotheurgy naturally brought him to Kaer Maga, where he has lived these past few years. He studies under the bloatmage Hruukal, a half-orc who is the closest thing to a friend Yang has. Recently, Yang has spent time with the priests of Pharasma in an effort to learn their practice of embalming and study the effects of replacing a body’s fluids with poisons and chemicals. After a short excursion into the Ossuary, Yang found his way to Magnimar with some other compatriots.