I think the firearms are fine as is, the misfire is actually the balance.
Crossbows are already under powered, so trying to dial down firearms to the power level of a crossbow is kinda silly. Make crossbows hit touch AC also would actually help bring them in line with bows.
Compare the firearm to a bow.
I now understand the torture that the judges have gone through for the last 5 years. I would prefer seeing 3 items side by side. In the first 20 items I had a repeat item. I have not see my own item as of yet.
I think some people must throw their item together in 15 minutes. They don't really want to be in the contest obviously. I was showing my kids some of the things to look out for, and they immediately started picking up on errors.
I voted for a bad item over another bad item the first few times, but I'm done with that. I'm voting for good items now.
I did this to a Warforged Assassin NPC in one of my games, it smeared contact paralysis poison on itself, so when the monk hit it, bam...save vs poison, which he failed. Fun Stuff.
Crowned Crossroads wrote:
Game Mastering is about making arbitrary decisions...power gamers like to break games by using loopholes in the rules. I've run into far too many power gamers that have wrecked games to allow their shenanigans, thus I would make rules to cover situations NOT covered in the rules or with gaping gray areas. Nuff said, I'm done. And welcome to the boards...
If someone tried to use two lances and hit with both, I would rule they are automatically unhorsed...then the next time when they tie themselves to their saddle (which you know power gamers would attempt) I would have the horses STR deal damage to them as they're torn from the saddle.
Heh, yeah, take the character's sheets, roll new characters and then let the characters hunt their old characters...
I would have let them kill the children, become evil in the process (unknown to them that their alignments shifted, someone sees through their lies in town, detects evil, then hire bounty hunters to bring them in each dead...
The current situation that you made might have been scried by one of the townspeople's allies, thus they KNOW what the 'heroes' did and refuse to reward them.
Also, I would have stripped the Paladin of his powers as soon as he decided to lose them in the no win situation...as his god would suddenly desert him..
BigNorseWolf, not if the evil person is Lawful Evil...which every evil mastermind SHOULD be.
I liked the numeric alignment system from S&S Studios, where a typical alignment would range a 2-3 on the scale, while celestials would have 9s. So a Devil would have a L9E6+, a demon C9E6+, a Paladin would need to be LG, but perhaps he's more lawful than good...L5G3
Benefits from high numbers were greater effects from alignment based spells. There was no true neutral, just shades of grey, perhaps L1E1, C1G1, etc. It made a good system for helping define a character. My wife played a C6G1 character that liked to smash things....a LOT.
#1 Skills: Up all skills to 4+ minimum, either that or decouple skills and classes. Give everyone 6+Int skill points, but have a list of skills each class is required to take [edit, required to take 1 or 2 skills not all six]. Make leadership into a Cha based skill not a feat. Make the Cohort accessible with a Cohort Feat.
#2 Dump dump stats. Make all saves based upon the average of two stats instead of a single stat, this means if you have a dump stat one of your saves will suffer. Perhaps WILL=WIS/CON REFLEX=DEX/INT FORT=STR/CHA. Also decrease the 7 in stat to -3 points instead of -4.
Then you don't need to add negativity to an MMO thread that's hunting for ideas do you?
1. I want the game to look like WAR's illustrations animated!
2. The crafting system should be Pathfinder's Crafting System, including being able to fail and accidentally create cursed items. In addition, I want to have choices of 1 special item per magic item created that will be needed to craft it. If you want to create a +3 flaming short sword, you might need essence of an elemental, salamander or fire giant. The +3 weapon would require you to go to location X (or can be made by alchemists), to get the oils and such to enhance it.
Also, I want to be able to make my own poisons.
3. I want the game to feel like Pathfinder, DDO failed because it doesn't feel like D&D, Never Winter succeeded because it WAS D&D!! I'm leery of the skill based system, as it could break the feel of the game.
4. I would like to see different servers with different play styles on it. (Sorta Like the old EQ PvP Servers. 4 servers, 3 different rule-sets)
A Free-for-all server would have PvP turned on everywhere!!...
Different servers allow for different play styles.
5. I want dynamic dungeon play. When I step into a dungeon instance with character A, the layout might be the same, but the monsters will be different, also having certain monsters roam their dungeons, be nocturnal or diurnal, so if you enter during the day, it will matter. Instance the hell out of the game if you need to. I personally don't like heading into a dungeon, fighting my way to the location I'm heading only to find someone camping the boss.
6. I want travel to have random encounters, Do the Pulpy overland travel redline for long distance trips, but have random encounters during the trip.
7. Rest, Put a rest button, you rest to recover your spells, have chances for random encounters for them also. Please don't do rest shrines like DDO...that isn't D&D.
I'm sure I'll think of more later.
All I have to say is, if this is a Pathfinder based game, jumping better be in. Endurance should be necessity if you're a jumping idjit, also if you run every where...
We have skills, we should be able to use the abilities.
I want to be able to move everywhere, I want the physics to be physics. I jump (rolls d20+jump skill-armor penalty)...
Pathfinder Society is cooler than the Harpers, and I used to be a HYUUUGE Harpers fan.
I love the fact that they designed the world thinking about everything that went into the first 30 years of D&D. From Expedition to teh Barrier Peaks, Isle of Dread, and of course the City of Strangers. And of course the Oasis series would work well in Osirion...
It pulls from all the classics, the Fahfrd and Grey mouser would feel right at home in either Riddleport or up at the top of the world.
Conan would fit in well with the Shoanti
Tarzan could find a home.
The Mythos is there.
Steampunk is there in Alkenstar.
Thieves' world can be dropped in.
The Drow are DROW!!!!
The red planet of and green planets are there for the taking, as well as the undead planet!!!
I'd keep going...but sleep calls....
All that. +5 Vorpal Sword
This (My Chel PFS Hungry Ghost Monk is sweet!)
Alkenstar. But I'm a big Iron Kingdoms fan so I have no problem with firearms in my fantasy...
And he loves San Dimas!!!
Dump stats...steaming dump stats
Most of the people complaining about gunfighters are the ones who didn't want it in their fantasy... "Oops sorry i got blackpowder in your Cheerios"
There's stuff I'll never use in these books, but I don't complain about it because it's just options, it's not Core, the only books that're core are the Core Rulebook and the Bestiary.
People wanted gunfighters. Golarion has an area where guns are made, If you don't want guns there, blow it up in a wild Magical conflagration. Numeria is there because of the classic D&D Modules, Frog Temple, and Barrier Peaks. I plan on eventually running an Expedition to the Barrier Peaks game. Maybe the person who wants to play a Warforged gets to start in Numeria. Or perhaps they start in Zobeck and the WarForged type character is a clockwork thing.
In your world make it your world, just don't complain about the options others of us actually WANT.
Wands use the spell trigger activation method, so casting a spell from a wand is usually a standard action that doesn't provoke attacks of opportunity. (If the spell being cast has a longer casting time than 1 action, however, it takes that long to cast the spell from a wand.) To activate a wand, a character must hold it in hand (or whatever passes for a hand, for nonhumanoid creatures) and point it in the general direction of the target or area. A wand may be used while grappling or while swallowed whole.
So, sunder the wand before they finish casting...uh oh...sword versus wood...not good...
ACT III Cutscene:
Korvosa is in flames, Gaedren Lamm is dead, The King is Dead...Long Live the Queen.
Now Four adventurer's, unlikely heroes, ascend the Thassilonian pyramid upon which Castle Korvosa is built upon. Sorin, the Rabbit Prince, halfling rogue, and one of the instruments of Gaedren's demise. Dorrin Kelvar, Ranger and Sable Company Marine apprentice, and companion and friend to Sorin and Marra. Marrala the Lost, now Marra the Phoenix, reborn as Gaedren took his final breaths. And the final companion, Pavo, the grieving arcanist, who's hopes of finding his sister were crushed even as the criminal Lamm was removed from power.
201. Body covered in pustules...ick
202. acidic spittle, not enough to cause real dmg, but it's not comfotable on the skin.
203. no waste products, like your demonic kin, you never excrete waste products...("where's your bathroom?", "my what room?" "bath room" "bath what?" "BATH ROOM" "My what? what?")
204. optimal body weight, no matter how much you eat, you never gain weight, you're always ravenously hungry...
205. no lips.
206. no eyelids, though you do have nictating membranes.
207. crimson irises.
208. your eyes reflect a deceased image of whoever is looking at them.
209. Demonic Ears (pick a species)
210. your feet always appear cracked and burned.
211. portions of your skin appear cracked and burned.
212. you smell like a loaf of fresh baked buttertop bread.
213. your skin tastes extremely salty, cats love to lick your skin.
214. you have excessively slimy mucous mouth, so it forms strings in your mouth when you talk...YUCK
215. your gums constantly bleed, so you constantly have the taste of iron in your mouth.
golden iris, then that Teifling will get confused with Aasimar..heh
187. You constanltly have thoughts of murder...no matter what your alignment...ONE EIGHT SEVEN! MDK Murder Death Kill...
188. Teifling has shifting facial features, they move during times of stress, often visibly, it's very disconcerting.
189. Monstrous hands, the Teifling has vicious looking hands, with the index/middle finger fused into a single wide flat finger, with a single heavy nail.
190. One of the Teiflings's arms ends in a enormous hand/forearm. This arm has a Rocky appearance.
191. The Teifling's body is covered in bumps and knobs.
192. Vrock blood. Feathers for hair.
(I really like that one SmiloDan.)
*above "stall urine" should be "stale" urine oops missed that typo.
146. lost teeth regrow in a week.
147. succubi/incubi blood; your scent is intoxicating.
148. succubi/incubi blood; people often get lost in your eyes
149. succubi/incubi blood; you are very lecherous...you really really can't get enough. Anytime, anywhere, anything...
150. succubi/incubi blood; you're hot! literally your skin is always around 105 degrees.
151. succubi/incubi blood; corruptor, you love nothing more than causing the fall of other's morals, it's better than the act.
152. ice devil blood; your skin is extremely cool and very palid, you feel dead to the touch.
153. long feline feet, you have very long feet and walk on your toes quite often,
154. freakshow, people always look at you, they can't place what's wrong with you, but something about you freaks them out.
155. coal black skin...but very shiny... (thus not sneak bonuses)
156. rakshasa blood; your hands aren't on backwards, but your pinky resembles a thumb in shape.
157. You can't stand the taste of cooked meat, it has to be raw.
158. the skin inside your mouth is purple.
160. your skin is very translucent, this causes your veins and arteries to be extremely apparent.
161. you have 0% visible body fat, your musculature is excessively striated, and every movement of the muscles it apparent.
162. webbed fingers and toes
163. chintacles you have 1d6 dangly tentacles on your chin
164. Bone gotee, your chin is shaped like a gotee.
165. pointy bones, all of your bones that are rounded in a normal human are very angular, and sharp, from your cheekbones, jaw and brow ridges, to your wrists ankles and elbows.
and that's 60 total for me now! =D
OK I'll make some more, this is fun
120. Your pinky fingers have two extra digits and end in a tiny claw
121. You have enormous physical features, your hands, feet or "other" parts are well beyond normal size. (Oh I bet some people are gonna love this one)
122. you are a perfect specimen of human kind...too perfect...and for some reason, everyone describes you as their perfect ideal (this would be a good one for those who wants a high CHA teifling)
123. you only have 3 fingers and a thumb per hand
124. you're built more like a dwarf than a human
125. you have bony ridges on your hands
126. you have HUGE cheek bones
127. you have jaggedly pointed ears
128. your lips are blackish red
129. you have reddish-orange skin (like the tan people like to sport these days...yuck!)
130. you have a serious penchant for knives, and proudly display the carvings you've done in your own skin with them.
131. you're eyes are always bloodshot, no white showing.
132. you smell like stall urine...like behind a dumpster
133. you smell like garbage...like in a dumpster
134. your breath smells like spoiled milk
135. your mouth is normally tiny, but extremely pliable, so when you smile it stretches from ear to ear, which is extremely unnerving.
136. you are completely double jointed...and have muscular control over it.
137. you have 12 adbominal muscles
138. you have 8 nerples, like a cat.
139. you are completely androgynous.