About Varnius Vol
Orphaned in his infancy and raised by an aged but kind couple in Brevoy, Varnius Vol had no idea of his infamous heritage for most of his life.
When his parents revealed his orphan past, Varnius became obsessed with discovering the truth of his birth and the source of his unusual powers. It was many years before the truth was revealed to him through a combination of careful study, alchemy and divination brought together by individuals from the dark underbelly of the city streets.
With the discovery, his life began to spiral out of control. Enraged by his lost nobility and equally heartbroken that his parents had kept his origins a secret and so slowed the realisation of his birthright, Varnius lashed out into a lifestyle of debauchery, trouble and bar-room violence.
His story would have ended there, in ignominy and infamy, if it weren’t for the help of an old friend of Vol’s in the guard. He told him of a way out, a paid commission to venture into the Stolen Lands authorised by his commander and encompassing all manner of wild and unusual adventurers. Being no fan of Surtova, the commander would extend this commission to Vol; the only caveat being exile. Varnius would never be able to return.
Given a choice between death and a second chance to live up to his name and reclaim his heritage, Varnius eagerly excepted. Under cover of darkness he was freed from the prison on the eve of his execution and sent on his way to the stolen lands, and a new beginning.
• Varnius is passionate, being quick to both joy and anger
• Hates doing things “by the book”, but recognises that laws are their to make you think before you break them.
• Loves risk takers and people of action – more likely to befriend a Barbarian than a Wizard.
• His draconic heritage gives him two very noticeable interests; fire and treasure. Although unlike his forebears, when it comes to loot he doesn’t expect more than his fair share.
• He might have Red Dragon in his blood which shows in his chaotic side, but he has a good soul and is far more likely to save the innocent than subdue them.
• If Varnius has one thing he fights for more than any other, it is freedom. He will oppose slavers and oppressors with unbridled anger wherever he finds them.
• As a sorcerer it’s no surprise he thinks quite a lot of himself. He’s certainly not above a pithy one liner in the face of a foe. Likewise, he has no sense of humour when it comes to slights against his name or abilities…not one bit.
• He’s not unattractive but his draconic side has begun to manifest physically. As such, he keeps himself covered up so as not to draw undue attention…or revulsion.
Varnius is a tall man with scarred features and a tan complexion. He has long black hair with a will of its own and eyes of a reddish-brown, mahogany color. A fairly muscular build and width of shoulder show that he is not unused to physicality; but an inherent leanness is an easily seen effect of too many years of too few meals. Although he does have a taste for finery he sees himself as deserving of, on the road to the stolen lands he travels in nondescript garb and a heavy brown cloak with an oppressive hood that conceals most of his body and face, revealing only a befanged but winning smile.
Dependent on the actions of the party members and our tactics in combat, I will either develop into more of a skirmishing bruiser by taking the Dragon Disciple prestige class; or concentrate solely on spell power by continuing as a full sorcerer. This will be largely influenced by the party composition and how my roleplaying of Varnius develops.
Varnius Vol CR 1/2
AC 12; Touch 12; Flat-Footed 10; (+4 with Mage Armor)
Bloodline Arcana: Whenever you cast a spell with an energy descriptor that matches your draconic bloodline's energy type, that spell deals +1 point of damage per die rolled.
1st (4/day, spontaneous only)— Burning Hands, Sleep
Str 12, Dex 14, Con 12, Int 10, Wis 8, Cha 19
Information from the DM:
Varnius' friend in the guard is named Lerav Throllsson, a burly and bald human who frequently would be the one who release Varnius from custody after a rousing night of "fun & games".
The commander of the guard is named Machald Llast, and older human with gray hair, a poor sense of humor, and a jagged scar over his right eye said to be from an ogre that tried to eat him.
Upon receiving the charter, Varnius was told to journey first to Restov and find a woman named Sandra Allemede, a clerk at a large teamster's office. Sandra informed him that a smaller group left a week ago, and he is traveling there with another group to help based on updated information about bandit activity in the area.