Triaxus was found as a young boy by a Nikolai Polzin, a traveling merchant from Brevoy in the wrecked remains of a Varisian caravan. A rather superstious man, he saw the boy’s survival as a blessing, and hoping to pick up a bit of the kid’s apparent good luck, Nikolai kept the boy with him, calling him Triaxus after the wandering star. His initial intent was still to drop the boy off at the nearest orphanage to be raised a bit more proper than he could manage on the road, but hearing word that Sczarni were looking for a ‘starchild’ made him think that staying on the road might be safer for the lad.
Triaxus stayed with Nikolai for nearly ten years afterward, his innate sense of direction and talent for path-finding saving Nikolai more than a few miles and on one memorable occasion, escaping a kobold ambush with a well-time burst of radiant light. Unfortunately, their luck didn’t hold out; on the homestretch after a long trip through the River Kingdoms, they were attacked by bandits on the borders of the Stolen Lands. Triaxus was barely alive when a passing group of adventurers intervened, but Nikolai didn’t survive. One of the adventurers, an elf named Arthion, recognized Triaxus’ heritage and took him under his wing as the group made their way back to civilization. Leaving him in the care of an orphanage, he continued on his own journey, but not without counseling Triaxus to find his way through tragedy.
Listening to the tales of the other children in the orphanage, he did. Many of those there were Varisian, like him, and had lost kin and more to those who would prey upon the roads. Triaxus could only imagine how many more were lost along the roads, none to tell of their passing but some brigands boasting over the spoils. Initially, he brought the idea of road patrols to the guard after his friend Jarald had heard him ranting about the subject, but was informed that no such patrol could cover the distances required. Then he remembered the stories told to him by Arthoin, about the places he’d gone and seen, and how glad he was to be hardy enough to make such journeys without fear. The next day, Triaxus dedicated himself at the local shrine to Desna, swearing to make the roads safe for all as he could. At first, there were only a few rough starts, but when he heard tell of a commission to drive out bandits in the Stolen Lands, he immediately packed his belongings and made haste. Where better to start his grand ideal then where it began?
Triaxus' Feats, Skills, Equipment, etc.:
Init +1; Senses Darkvision (60 feet); Perception +9
AC 15, touch 11, flat-footed 14. . (+4 armor, +1 Dex)
hp 12 (1d10+2)
Fort +4, Ref +3, Will +2
Resist acid 5, cold 5, electricity 5
Spd 30 ft.
Melee Dagger +3 (1d4+2/19-20/x2) and
. . Starknife +3 (1d4+2/20/x3) and
. . Starknife +3 (1d4+2/20/x3) and
. . Unarmed Strike +3 (1d3+2/20/x2)
Spell-Like Abilities Daylight (1/day)
Ranger Spells Known (CL 0, 3 melee touch, 2 ranged touch):
Base Atk +1; CMB +3; CMD 14
Feats Point Blank Shot
Traits Merchant's Child (Katapesh), Pioneer: Perception, Starchild
Skills Acrobatics -1, Appraise +6, Climb +0, Diplomacy +4, Escape Artist -1, Fly -1, Knowledge (Geography) +5, Knowledge (Nature) +5, Knowledge (Religion) +2, Perception +9, Ride -1, Stealth +3, Survival +6, Swim +0
SQ Enemies: Humanoids (Human) (+2 bonus) (Ex), Track +1, Wild Empathy +2 (Ex)
Combat Gear Chain Shirt, Dagger (6), Starknife, Starknife; Other Gear Backpack, Masterwork (10 @ 15 lbs), Explorer's outfit, Fishhook (2), Flint and steel, Holy symbol, silver: Desna, Mug/Tankard, clay, Sewing needle, String (50'), Thread (50 ft.), Waterskin, Whetstone
Darkvision (60 feet) You can see in the dark (black and white vision only).
Daylight (1/day) (Sp) Daylight once per day.
Enemies: Humanoids (Human) (+2 bonus) (Ex) +2 to rolls vs Humanoids (Human).
Point Blank Shot +1 to attack and damage rolls with ranged weapons at up to 30 feet.
Starchild +4 survival to avoid becoming lost. Automatically determine north.
Track +1 +1 to survival checks to track.
Wild Empathy +2 (Ex) Improve the attitude of an animal, as if using Diplomacy.
Aballon's Stats, Gear, Etc. (Mount):
N Large Animal
Init +2; Senses Low-Light Vision, Scent; Perception +6
AC 11, touch 11, flat-footed 9. . (+2 Dex, -1 size)
hp 15 (2d8+6)
Fort +6, Ref +5, Will +1
Spd 50 ft.
Melee Hooves x2 (Horse) -2 x2 (1d4+1/20/x2) and
. . Unarmed Strike +3 (1d4+3/20/x2)
Space 10 ft.; Reach 5 ft.
Str 16, Dex 14, Con 17, Int 2, Wis 13, Cha 7
Base Atk +1; CMB +5; CMD 17 (21 vs. Trip)
Feats Endurance, Run
Tricks Come [Trick], Heel [Trick], Riding [Trick], Stay [Trick]
Skills Fly +0, Perception +6, Stealth -2
SQ Map Maker's Kit, Riding [Trick]
Other Gear Bedroll, Bit and bridle, Blanket, Feed (per day) (2), Map Maker's Kit, Rations, trail (per day) (7), Saddle (Riding), Saddlebags (15 @ 50 lbs), Traveler's outfit (3)
Endurance +4 to a variety of skill checks. Sleep in L/M armor with no fatigue.
Low-Light Vision See twice as far as a human in low light, distinguishing color and detail.
Map Maker's Kit +2 Circumstance for Survival to avoid becoming lost.
Riding [Trick] The animal has been trained to bear a rider.
Run You run faster than normal.
Scent (Ex) Detect opponents within 15+ feet by sense of smell.
1) Yuhei(NG Human Samurai): A Tien archer I met in Taldor; her defending her carvan from a mad cleric, and me foolishly jumping in way over my head. Hit it off smashingly, even with the occasional interjections of spellfire and goblin knives. Got a good head on her shoulders and a better heart, but is a touch uptight at times.
2) Jarald Stevenson(LG Human Fighter or Warrior): One of the soldiers at the New Steven’s garrison; his folks have been in -Brevoy’s army since it was run by Choral. Very ‘by-the-book’, but a good guy despite it. Clued me in on the Stolen Lands charter groups, hoping it would get me out of his district for a bit and give him some peace. No appreciation at all, that one.
3) Arthion(CG Elven Cleric or Oracle): Elven devotee of Desna, wisest person I’ve ever met. Saved my life after my second father died, and taught me of the Song of the Spheres. He’s the reason I chose the path I’m on today.
1) Mathias Everglen(N Half-Elf Expert): A traveling half-elf merchant, old partner of Nikolai's. Apparently promised to keep an eye on me when he’s in the neighborhood. Sells a rice wine that Yuhei pretty fond of.
2) Vask Flamehand(CN Half-Orc Sorcerer): A half-orc spell-slinger that Jarald arrested on cause of ‘public disturbance, property damage and aggressive use of magic within city bounds’. I suggested community services, and one well-roast camp of brigands later, we were partners in, as Jarald put it, ‘well-meaning vigilantism’. Can’t win no matter what you do, eh?
3) Vanessa Kingsley(CN Bard, Rogue or Expert): Taldan consort, bartender, and devotee of the Savored Sting. Don’t ask me about her ‘services’, cause I can’t afford them if I wanted to. But if she doesn’t serve the best elven wines short of Kyonin itself, go ahead and send the stingers at me.
1) Vasile Negrescu(NE Rogue): Supposed to be some sort of Sczarni underboss, dealing with slaving and other such unmentionables. Ian always told me to stay well clear of him. Other than the obvious, never said why.
2) Alyssa(CE Witch or Oracle): Complete lunatic, which runs about par for the course for a follower of Lamastu, I suppose. Fought her when I met Yuhei, when Alyssa had led a goblin attack on her caravan. Barely got out with our lives.
3) Gravius the Blackclawed(CE Bugbear): Another old friend, that one. Beast of a bugbear that was harassing a village I stayed in for a short time in the River Kingdoms. Couldn’t finish him off, but got him good across the face and right hand. So if you see a bugbear with a stiff upper-lip, tell him Triaxus says hey.