I'll be playing a druid in a new campaign, and our DM has specifically banned all dinosaurs from his setting. We're mostly Core/APG/UM/UC only, but can sometimes include other feats if they're considered balanced.
(He's an awesome GM, so the issue isn't whether it's a good idea or not to ban many options, but how to deal with it ^^).
So... i'm torn between a rhinoceros and a tiger.
At level 1 w/o feats:
- Rhino gives me 13hp, 16 AC, and a very respectable attack (+3 for 1d8+3 damage)
- Tiger gives me 11hp, 14 AC, and 3 attacks at +2 (1d6+1, 1d4+1 x 2).
They're both medium, with scent/low-light and 40ft move.
So it looks like Rhino's tougher and deals more damage with better accuracy, especially since tiger doesn't have pounce yet. The only time tiger is better is when full attacking AND getting three lucky rolls.
At druid level 7 w/o feats and spells, they both got bigger.
- Rhino now has 52 gp and 22 AC, one attack at +10 that deals 2d6+10 and Powerful Charge for 4d6+15
- Tiger now has pounce. It has 46hp, 19 AC, three attacks at +9 that can grab (at 1d8+6 or 1d6+6) and two rakes if pouncing or grabbing.
So Rhino's still tougher, but his damage looks a bit on the down side in comparison to a tiger.
- Greater Magic Fang can be used more effectively, for a +2 at level 8, +3 at lvl 12 and so forth, while the tiger is stuck with a +1
- Likewise, Improved Natural Attack is much more impressive on the Rhino single attack, especially with Powerful Charge
- Same goes with power attack (x3 instead of x2).
- The Rhino will get another big attack at level 9 with multi-attack.
- The Rhino will be less impacted by DR.
- Strong Jaw, while not stacking with INA, gives one more size increase, which makes it now 6d6
- The Vital Strike line might help keeping it useful at later levels.
On the other hand, I don't see many ways to increase a tiger damage output, apart from a +1d6 amulet of mighty fist (+2d6 starts to be really pricey).
So at the cost of 2 feats (Power Attack and Improved Natural Attack), our level 7 Rhino can now hit for 3d6+19 and charge for 6d6+24, and will continue to improve.
Did I miss something ? Apart from the grab, if we're looking at raw dps, is the rhino better ?
Thanks a lot ;)