Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
About Paizo Messageboards News Paizo Blog Help/FAQ
Hellwasp Host

The 8th Dwarf's page

5,182 posts. Alias of Bradley Holland.


RSS

1 to 50 of 5,182 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

1 person marked this as a favorite.

It depends on experience/maturity/trust but you can let players help in setting creation. The amount of buy-in and world knowledge the players gain can be truly beneficial. Outline your parameters brainstorm your ideas then underlay your meta plots after the shared creation.


Turin the Mad wrote:
The 8th Dwarf wrote:
Claxon wrote:


Now Erastil on the other hand does definitely prefer typical gender roles from what I understand.

Erastil has been retconned he is all fluffy and nice now... No imperfections anymore.
... o.O ... uh, why? when? *le sigh*

People having conniptions about anthropomorphic good gods being less than perfect.... Me I'm all for Olympian foibles, it's the rough edges an imperfections that make for a more interesting game.

Then again I think superman is the most boring pointless character ever invented, followed by that one trick pony the Hulk, oh and batman meh....


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Are we talking rules or world?

What's irritating me at the moment is the monolithic mono-cultural pantheon. They need to build in regional differences, they need to demonstrate how the average person worships, do the venerate one God or do they venerate the beneficial ones and placate the dangerous ones... Do pregnant women make little sacrifices to Lamashtu in the hope she doesn't "bless" them with a still birth or birth defects, do farmers placate Pazuzu so birds don't eat their crops.....


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Claxon wrote:

I don't recall general misogyny on the the behalf of Asmodeus. He does have some hatred for some of the female deities, but I don't think it's specifically because of their gender. It has a lot to do with the fact that they're goody-two-shoes.

But I could be wrong about this.

Now Erastil on the other hand does definitely prefer typical gender roles from what I understand.

Erastil has been retconed he is all fluffy and nice now... No imperfections anymore.


Because he is a bad guy.... We aren't supposed to like him... If you make everything nice and comfortable for everybody it's boring and if you don't like it you can ignore it in your own game and the Paizo fluff police won't kick your door down and take your books away.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

It comes down to communication with the whole group as to who wants what out of the game and then negotiating any conflicts in individual players/DMs desires.

Our pre campaign chat starts like this.....

DM "No Bob* you can not play a 20th level aboleth paladin named Pete!
Res spells are rare to non existent. I will fudge to prevent any pointless or stupid deaths, but not deaths caused by your own stupidity.
Sex is fade to fire place I am not describing any of you guys bumping your uglies.
My gore description is set to 11, unless you guys want me to tone it down.
Common races only unless you can give me a good story....
No Bob you can't play a 1/2 Drow 1/2 Iffrit Harajuku girl called Ms Kitty.
Yes Hero points will be given out at the start of each session, standard rules plus you can play props and all the other suggestions made.
How do you want to do party background set up... You all know each other and that's written into the back stories or did you want to do pull another character name from a hat and make up the name and one paragraph description of a novel where both your characters were the primary characters....
No Bob you can't play a Twi'lek Sith Lord called Darth Sexypants....
Ok Bob you want to play Dhampir witch, daughter of a broken and faded linage of a Ustalavian noble family nothing left but a burnt and crumbling castle on an abandoned estate, your family name cursed and reviled by the peasantry and treated with fear and suspicion by the nobility.... Sounds cool

And so on......

*Bobs name was changed because he posts on here occasionally .


6 people marked this as a favorite.

I have always wanted to run an all dwarf game...

But I have the type of players that will be super enthusiastic say yes what a great idea then turn up with a character sheet with elf written on it...

"hey Bob why are you playing an elf?"...
"um yeh, he is adopted, the dwarves found him after some orcs killed everybody in his village..."
"You don't want to play an all dwarf game do you Bob?"
"I'm sorry no....."
"Why didn't you say so in the first place don't you know how much effort I put in".
"I could make my character human or halfling.... I don't like halfings much though".
My head hits the desk at that stage....
"Ok guys standard fantasy game be what you want I will get a module out because I can't be arsed anymore".


theshoveller wrote:
The 8th Dwarf wrote:

The book that Spielberg bassed the movie on was written by an Australian, Thomas Keneally. I suggest you read the Chant of Jimmie Blacksmith. Keneally is considered one of our greatest novelists.

"Schindler's Ark (released in America as Schindler's List) is a Booker Prize-winning novel published in 1982 by Australian novelist Thomas Keneally, which was inspired by the efforts of Poldek Pfefferberg, a Holocaust survivor. In 1980 Pfefferberg met Keneally in his shop, and learning that he was a novelist, showed him his extensive files on Oskar Schindler. Keneally was interested, and Pfefferberg became an advisor for the book, accompanying Keneally to Poland where they visited Kraków and the sites associated with the Schindler story. The book was later adapted into the highly successful movie Schindler's List directed by Steven Spielberg.

There are some interesting contrasts between the book and the film. Keneally's Schindler is distinctly on the side of the angels from page 1. Spielberg gives him a redemptive character arc instead.

That difference may have been transmitted to Keneally by his primary source... Then again he "said in an interview in 2007 that what attracted him to Oskar Schindler was that "it was the fact that you couldn't say where opportunism ended and altruism began. And I like the subversive fact that the spirit breatheth where it will. That is, that good will emerged from the most unlikely places"".

My wife has met Thomas Keneally, her impression of him is that he is a happy wizened gnome that uses the full extent of his Irish ancestry to tell powerful stories that ask you to treat your fellow humans better....


2 people marked this as a favorite.

We don't have res spells - we do have hero points, and we RP our use of hero points, to save dying characters.

If a character dies we RP the intro of the new character, and new characters just don't show up.

We had a character death about 8 sessions ago, the battle was epic we had all used our hero points (props, spell recalls, re-does for saves and so on) and the Druid who had turned the tide for us got isolated and killed by the big bad.

We still talk about the character and how much they are missed, the character death has made the party harder and edgier we aren't soft when we are interrogating prisoners. It's personal.


thejeff wrote:
Comrade Anklebiter wrote:
Man, there doesn't seem like there's been a good politroll thread on here in a while.

I am kind of surprised.

No one's been talking about how Trump is going to lead us all to a perfect capitalist utopia. Or how Bernie will drag us down into socialist hell. Or even how Rand Paul really will save us this time.

There's been plenty of good material out there. Just no takers here.

In Australia the polls are saying that our conservative government would be crushed by 36 seats and that our PM is about as popular as diarrhoea in a chocolate shop.

Nobody is jumping up and down with joy.

We are all just tired of politics and politicians and want them all to f*&# off out our lives.


If you want a good module to draw inspiration from or modify and use I recommend X4 Master of the Desert Nomads.


As I said it's been done.... All you need is Mutants & Masterminds (which is a D20 game) the Supernatural Handbook and the appropriate gadget guides Cybertech, Mecha(to a limited extent), Vehicles, Guns, Robots, Utility, Nano tech, Bio tech, Spy tech, Magic and Computers.

The M&M SRD - D20 Hero SRD.


The book that Spielberg bassed the movie on was written by an Australian, Thomas Keneally. I suggest you read the Chant of Jimmie Blacksmith. Keneally is considered one of our greatest novelists.

"Schindler's Ark (released in America as Schindler's List) is a Booker Prize-winning novel published in 1982 by Australian novelist Thomas Keneally, which was inspired by the efforts of Poldek Pfefferberg, a Holocaust survivor. In 1980 Pfefferberg met Keneally in his shop, and learning that he was a novelist, showed him his extensive files on Oskar Schindler. Keneally was interested, and Pfefferberg became an advisor for the book, accompanying Keneally to Poland where they visited Kraków and the sites associated with the Schindler story. The book was later adapted into the highly successful movie Schindler's List directed by Steven Spielberg.

Also HD Jerry Sinefield is a genius.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Rynjin wrote:
Quasnoflaut wrote:


Skreeeeeeeeee wrote:

I've always been interested in doing a campaign where every character, for whatever reason, is shrunken down to only a few inches tall. Along with it just being kinda weird, there's a whole lot to come up with concerning rules and stat blocks for now gigantic(or gigantic-er) sizes. That, and along with balancing out magic items and such(you can't really buy from Ye Olde Magic Shoppe effectively when you can't even carry your gold).

And I'm pretty sure players would get a little fed up with being so comically underpowered compared to your everyday commoner.

It'd be neat to try out sometime, still, with a willing party, but there'll likely be a lot of work to do keeping it all in line.

That sounds like an interesting plot point! I would just be lazy and have the party fight spiders or frogs and just use the stat blocks for "giant spider" or "giant frog." there's also a possibility for a really interesting shadow-of-the-colossus feel, but that's almost like asking for HD surround sound in a pen and paper game.
Sounds like a good excuse to apply the rules for Kaiju to stuff like the common housecat.

The Goodies (1972) - Kitten Kong.


5 people marked this as a favorite.

Edwardian style Diesel Punk game with biplanes, Zeppelins, land ships, and the great game with all sorts of rebellions, brush wars and minor conflicts going on between the great powers.

I would use Earth have a Shadowrun style Awakening/Goblinization based on mythology.... Trolls in Norway, Korbukuru in Japan, Minotaurs in Greece, Redcaps in Scotland and so on.

The reason for the Awakening would be that somebody opened Pandoras Box (dimensional gateway) and let the magic back out.....

There would be factions wanting to put magic back in, others wanting to let the Angles/demons/Devils/Elder Evils out....

So in essence it's a D20, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Shadowrun, Rifts game.


was tattooed in neon yellow on Tegan's ample


Jim Butchers inspiration for the Codex Alera series "came from a bet Jim was challenged to by a member of the Del Rey Online Writer’s Workshop. The challenger bet that Jim could not write a good story based on a lame idea, and Jim countered that he could do it using two lame ideas of the challenger’s choosing. The “lame” ideas given were “Lost Roman Legion", and “Pokémon”."

Where do you go looking for ideas? If you get stuck for inspiration what do you do to stoke the creative fires?


3 people marked this as a favorite.

Liz and James thanks for being super cool people, it's the fact the Paizo is staffed by people I would welcome to my table anytime is what keeps me from abandoning the forums.

:-)


thejeff wrote:
The 8th Dwarf wrote:
World's most interesting Pan wrote:
I dont always drink soda, but when I do, its ginger beer with a shot of whiskey.
Bundaburg also makes rum and adding that to Bundaburg ginger beer is called a Dark & Stormy...Great drink for sitting on your veranda on a hot summer afternoon.

I've never seen Bundaburg, but Gosling's Black Seal Rum is supposedly the definitive Dark & Stormy. With any good ginger beer.

Bundy (as its affectionately known) is an Australian company. It's named after the city of Bundaburg in the state of Queensland. It's in the Tropical sugar cane growing part of the state. Lots of sugar meant Rum.... For some strange reason Bundy have a polar bear as a mascot.... A square bear is a 1.25 litre bottle of Bundy Rum, and it's good stuff, while the Dark & Stormy may have originated in the Bahamas it's a very popular here as well.

I grew up in the sugar growing region of my state in a small coastal town, our produce was macadamia nuts, tropical fruit, dairy, sugar cane and fish.

They have stopped doing it now but before harvesting the sugarcane they used to set fire to the cane fields, at night you could see the glow of the fires all around the town. It looked so cool, It was kind of apocalyptic. Then the next day soot & ash would waft down putting black marks over everything.


Because animating the rotting maggot filled corpse of your granny so it can be your slave, shows that your moral compass is pointing in the right direction.


3 people marked this as a favorite.
World's most interesting Pan wrote:
I dont always drink soda, but when I do, its ginger beer with a shot of whiskey.

Bundaburg also makes rum and adding that to Bundaburg ginger beer is called a Dark & Stormy...Great drink for sitting on your veranda on a hot summer afternoon.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Bundaburg Ginger Beer, the The Soda Hunter reviews it...


In the very late 80's Early 90's there was G.M (Independent/international) magazine they had a series of adventures and articles on Discworld. They were not too bad.


There is no such thing as cricket anymore..... Hello rugby and New Zealand aren't undefeatable. :-)


We will do better in the Rugby.


Arrrgh


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Wolfmother - White Unicorn.

Wolfmother - New Moon Rising.

Wolfmother - Joker And The Thief.

The Darkness - Barbarian.


Pour Some Sugar On Me Def Leppard - Covered by Emm Gryner


Thatcher wannabe and worst Speaker of the House ever Bronwyn Bishop was destroyed politically by getting caught abusing her travel privileges..

"In mid-July 2015, Bishop became embroiled in controversy surrounding her use of parliamentary travel entitlements that ultimately led to her resignation as Speaker. It had emerged that she had chartered helicopter flights from Melbourne to Geelong and back to attend a state Liberal party fundraiser on 5 November 2014. The cost of the flights was $5,227.27 for a journey that typically takes an hour each way by road. Bishop refused to resign over the expenses claim"... Until the PM her best friend and biggest supporter was forced to ask her to resign because his party was taking a hammering in the poles.

A big part of her destruction was her helicopter trips had become a meme LINK. The government is a total joke at the moment.

Labor is still annoying me the leader is from the Right, my preferred leader is old school Left but the powerful unions in my state are controlled by the conservative catholic right of the Labor movement....


Comrade Anklebiter wrote:

Oh, and one of the Nigerian Princess who has been mistagged.

Like I said, I hang out with good-looking people.

Dude you are rocking that mullet.


Tinkergoth wrote:

As I think The 8th Dwarf and I have both mentioned on the boards before, here in Australia the Satanic Panic wasn't really a thing. The stigma attached to being an RPG player here was almost entirely about being nerds/dorks/whatever and not being a real man for playing make believe instead of doing something manlier (generally sports). Basically the problem was (for me at least) was that I was way outside the stereotypical Australian view of a rough and tumble kid who played football and so on.

Now I grew up in the 90s/early 2000s, and this was still a problem. I think predominately it's far more of an issue in the country towns like where I grew up than the cities. Far more likely to be accepted here, or at least more people interested in it so you can find friends.

Yep the whole satanic panic thing was added to the long list of excuses to punch a nerd.

I played rugby, surfed, sailed, did karate, went fishing and camping...

I still got the s~*# kicked out of me for lots of "reasons" red hair, fat, I read books for fun, had a posh accent, I was crap at sport, wasn't born in the town, played the devil worshiping D&D game, liked Heavy Metal, liked Rap music, liked Monty Python, wasn't an inbred son of a sugar cane farmer or fisherman and so on.


N. Jolly wrote:
The 8th Dwarf wrote:
Can you still combine alchemical weapon and explosive missile?

Has there been errata to alter them?

Alch weapon is a move/swift action, explosive missile is a standard action, there's no rules that currently disallow them to be used together unless another errata snuck up to destroy something fun and not at all overpowered.

I hope not because it will mean a change in my Pistolero Grenadier character concept.


Steve Geddes wrote:
The 8th Dwarf wrote:
I am participating in the free Beta play test for RoleMaster. Because ICE has nowhere near one tenth the resources of Paizo, its a very small community and a very slow process.
How is it looking?

Some very radical changes, mostly good. Once you grasp what they have done with Creature Law it's probably the best part. Creature Law is not set out very well yet. Treasure Law is also cool the Alchemist profession is very interesting.

The major problem is they are trying to simplify it and keep the classic feel and it's a very hard balancing act.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

I play Pathfinder because my group does... It's my preferred version of D&D.

I would prefer to be playing RoleMaster, GURPS, or Shadowrun.

I am participating in the free Beta play test for RoleMaster. Because ICE has nowhere near one tenth the resources of Paizo, its a very small community and a very slow process.


Can you still combine alchemical weapon and explosive missile?


1 person marked this as a favorite.

My favourite Shadowrun characters street name - his human parents were fans of an early 20th Century fantasy author and they named him after the 8th dwarf through some guys door..... So he called himself The 8th Dwarf... Been using the handle since the 90's and the Shadowrun BBS.

The funny thing was when communist dockworker Ork physad on the team found out my characters name he would rant about how the Author was a racist and his books were basically Mein Kamph for Elves.


3 people marked this as a favorite.

Kylie Minogue & Nick Cave - Where The Wild Roses Grow.

To be honest anything from Nick Caves Murder Ballads Album.


Mutants and Masterminds would be much much easier than PF it's still D20 at its base but it has far more flexibility.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

The other way to go is explore other systems. See how magic works in GURPS, Shadowrun, Rolemaster (which began as an alternate combat and magic system for D&D), Savage Worlds, WOD, WHFRP, and see what works for you.

It's totally cool to be a fan of more than one system. The Devs play other RPGs I am sure it helps with inspiration for PF.


14) Prong*


5) Grunties......


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I wish it wasn't 10,000 kilometres away in another country :-( I hope everybody going has lots of fun. Post some pics and reviews, please.


4) "moist"


3) Pants?


Larkspire wrote:

I wouldn't base anything off of D20 modern...it seemed really lame to me...with all the "Fast Hero", "Smart Hero" BS....way to generic for my liking...but that's just my opinion.

Never played Savage worlds myself.

D20 modern is a much deeper game than that. It's a different approach to the restrictive class system that pervades D20 games. I recommend that you take the time to look how it works. The initial classes are something you build from and move on to the advanced classes.


I have played D&D since the 80's and Shadowrun since 1st Ed (& many many other systems). I love both and find playing different systems refreshing, it recharges my batteries and none of the systems I love go stale.

I would be hesitant to invest my time in a massive project (because I wouldn't want to slap some stuff together and call it Shadowrun ) that other people may refuse to play because it's not the real thing.

If I were to do it I would use D20 modern, SRD is free. Maybe pick up pick up the future sourcebook, and take a look at the Spycraft books. There are a lot of very cheep 3rd party books/PDFs out there that will suit your needs (why do the work when somebody else has).

I would probably set it now/near future with goblinisation, the eurowars, and the great ghost dance happening.


2) Bananas!


1 person marked this as a favorite.

BADGER RAP | Dan Bull, Dave Brown, Mr Weebl, Brian May & BRIAN BLESSED.

1 to 50 of 5,182 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

©2002–2016 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.