Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
About Paizo Messageboards News Paizo Blog Help/FAQ
Kyra

Skeld's page

Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber. Pathfinder Society Member. 3,699 posts (3,779 including aliases). 6 reviews. No lists. No wishlists. 1 Pathfinder Society character. 3 aliases.


1 to 50 of 797 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

1) Kitsune
2) Katanas
3) Monks

-Skeld

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Dress up as literally any character from a Pathfinder product and refer to yourself as "Captain Yesterday."

-Skeld

Grand Lodge

11 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

I don't see what the upside is, from Paizo's POV, to getting into any protracted discussion on any given mod action or ban. It's going to invite even more grar and arguing, which are both things Paizo seems to want to keep to a minimum, which makes sense because Paizo sells gaming books, not forum drama.

I do, however, think they could do a better job of explaining why a series of posts were removed and revisit the policy of removing posts that quote removed posts in their entirety. If the rest of the reply is acceptable, how about just replacing the offending quote with:

Quote:
Quoted post removed by moderator.

That alone would nullify many complaints, re: "what happened to my post, grar?"

-Skeld

Grand Lodge

7 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Tels wrote:
I have three copies of the PDF of the posts that Klara saved. Others have copies as well. If anyone wants to find them, they are out there, and aren't hard to find. I can't share them here, because Paizo will delete the post, otherwise I would.

Isn't the problem, though, not the posts themselves, but the offline interaction between Ashiel and the mod, which led to the ban? Posts get modded all the time, but there were emotionally charged emails and a thread in Feedback that were the main contributors to the ban. That's the impression I got.

-Skeld

Grand Lodge

4 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Steve Geddes wrote:
Skeld wrote:

I had a post removed where I was giving another poster some good-natured grief. That poster and I are on good terms and have been for years and will occasionally poke at each other for sport. The mod's comment was that they didn't know if I was joking, which is fine. I could see how someone, not knowing the history between the other poster and I, might think I was being a serious jerk.

It happens. Sometimes the context isn't obvious and you can't expect all the mods to be up to date on all the different social dynamics here. In fact, the best way for mods to become familiar with you is have a questionablessed posting history.

-Skeld

Gorbacz deserved it.

^ Disturbingly close to the truth.

-Skeld

Grand Lodge

5 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

I had a post removed where I was giving another poster some good-natured grief. That poster and I are on good terms and have been for years and will occasionally poke at each other for sport. The mod's comment was that they didn't know if I was joking, which is fine. I could see how someone, not knowing the history between the other poster and I, might think I was being a serious jerk.

It happens. Sometimes the context isn't obvious and you can't expect all the mods to be up to date on all the different social dynamics here. In fact, the best way for mods to become familiar with you is have a questionablessed posting history.

-Skeld

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

If more mods = higher prices, then no thanks.

-Skeld

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Caedwyr wrote:
Skeld wrote:
137ben wrote:
Skeld wrote:


As you know, Rysky, common sense isn't defined in the rules.

Nor in the real world. Yes, Aristotle postulated the existence of a "common sense." Aristotle also believed the earth was the center of the universe, and that the universe was made up of four elements. Aristotle wasn't a scientist, and, as it turned out, a lot of his beliefs were wrong.

You might as well say "The rules are easy to use if you use your knowledge of a flat earth!"
It's complete BS. The fact that we still have people in the 21st century who believe in "Common Sense"/Geo-centrism/Flat Earth/that NASA faked the moon landings is depressing.
What feels like "common sense" to you is
a)Likely to be the opposite of what feels like "common sense" for other people, and
b)Has a good chance of being factually wrong.

Yawn. You appear to be taking my comments seriously or something.

-Skeld

Thank you for your contributions to the conversation.

I'm always happy to be of service. :D

-Skeld

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
137ben wrote:
Skeld wrote:


As you know, Rysky, common sense isn't defined in the rules.

Nor in the real world. Yes, Aristotle postulated the existence of a "common sense." Aristotle also believed the earth was the center of the universe, and that the universe was made up of four elements. Aristotle wasn't a scientist, and, as it turned out, a lot of his beliefs were wrong.

You might as well say "The rules are easy to use if you use your knowledge of a flat earth!"
It's complete BS. The fact that we still have people in the 21st century who believe in "Common Sense"/Geo-centrism/Flat Earth/that NASA faked the moon landings is depressing.
What feels like "common sense" to you is
a)Likely to be the opposite of what feels like "common sense" for other people, and
b)Has a good chance of being factually wrong.

Yawn. You appear to be taking my comments seriously or something.

-Skeld

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Rysky wrote:
I hate you sooooooooooooooo much right now.

:D

Grand Lodge

4 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Rysky wrote:
Heretek wrote:
Rysky wrote:
137ben wrote:
Gabriel Cantrell wrote:
My point either way is that it is rather rude to be demanding a 'fix' for something when they aren't even willing to offer a suggestion for what that 'fix' should be.

The OP is not being paid to write rules. The OP is paying Paizo to do that. If you already know what you think the rules "should" be, then you have no reason whatsoever to pay Paizo one dime--just play your game with your rules. If you're on this forum at all, though, it's because you lack either the time, skills, or desire to write your own game, and so are willing to pay someone else for a game they wrote.

Of course, buying someone else's game is only worthwhile if that person did their job in the first place. Which, in this particular case, Paizo didn't.
typos happen in all books, not just Paizo's.
Typos are one thing. It's another when said typo results in an archetype being unplayable as written.
Strictly as written yes, but common sense (as the Clarifications Document shows) makes it work just fine.

As you know, Rysky, common sense isn't defined in the rules. Since it isn't RAW, it's not allowed in PFS.

I mean, if you're a GM in a home game, I guess you could try using common sense, but that's a houserule and some people don't use houserules.

-Skeld

Grand Lodge

5 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

I'll say this: the mod tone here has grown stricter over the years (I've been here almost 10 years).

That said, I've noticed since the HumbleBundle thing a few months ago that Paizo is more willing to hand out perma-bans than they have been in the past. (I'm not implying the Bundle had anything to with it, only that they are loosely time-correlated events from my POV).

I've seen several long-time posters who've been banned because they had a history of fighting with other community members, getting modded, and the occasional temp-ban. I'm unaware of Ashiel's history with the mods, but if Chris's email is accurate (and I have no reason to believe it isnt), then it fits the trend I've noticed.

The point is, if you have a history of fighting with others here and butting heads with the mods about it, they're going to decide you're more trouble than you're worth at some point.

All the best to Ashiel.

-Skeld

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

reprinting softcovers isn't really worth it, under normal circumstances. The second print run has to be about the same size as the first and the demand is usually way less.

-Skeld

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

I somehow managed to leave off Steve Geddes. He's also on my list.

-Skeld

Grand Lodge

4 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
captain yesterday wrote:

And Skeld (with his evil twin Skuld)

- Captain Yesterday, not Skeld.

Thanks for the vote, Cap!

My list would look something like:
Captain Yesterday (of course, it could also be an alias)
Nobodyshome
Orthos
Joana
Kalindlara
DeathQuaker
Rysky
Knightnday
Tacticslion
Ambrosia Slaad
Tangent 101
Celestial Healer
Turin the Mad
Mark Hoover
Gorbacz

I'm sure there are plenty more. I already game with justaworm, so I left him off the list (Ha! Take that GM!)

Now, I have to go put the top and doors back on my jeep before it rains. :D

-Skeld, not Captain Yesterday

Grand Lodge

3 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Jamie Charlan wrote:
Things never end well without proper playtesting, OR if the playtesting is just ignored as we've seen, so we'll have to see how it goes.

Just a guess, but they might be foregoing the public playtest because each successive playtest they've had for Pathfinder has gotten less useful and more caustic.

Also, I think if heard its a closed playtest or something, just not public.

-Skeld

Grand Lodge

4 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
gnomersy wrote:
knightnday wrote:

On average for whom?

Ass you say, that definition will differ between people. People who play PFS make up a small subsection of those that buy the books, I'm willing to wager. An even smaller subsection would be people who only buy the books for one singular feat/item/what have you and find utterly no use from the rest of the book.

What is "useless" tends to differ widely. Some people actually enjoy frippery like art and descriptive text, finding that it enhances their game far more than a cold list of mechanical enhancements for a character.

On average for me obviously.

As far as frippery like art and descriptive text that's generally not that important because it doesn't do anything during the game.

Having a prettied up board and taking art assets to use during gameplay is good but it happens quite rarely and almost never for anything but the monster manual in my experience. Having the game tell you Half elves suffer from the blah blah blah never being at home among elves or humans doesn't mean anything until the GM uses it in the game and if he does he never needed the book to say that. So yeah I think that stuff is wasted space and what's more I think it encourages people to get too caught up on stuff that doesn't actually mean anything like people who want to take the Rogue class just because of the name and not because of the actual rules behind it. What's important for the story isn't some random stuff in the book it's the interaction between the player and the DM it's supposed to be a joint story we're not just reading the lord of the rings while rolling dice.

Now not everyone buys a book for 1 feat but I've bought Weapon Masters Handbook for alternate fighter weapon/armor training options. I got unchained just for the unchained rogue. If they were to go to the Unchained book take unchained rogue and rip out dex to damage leaving it in a state where it wasn't good at doing what I want it to do, I'd feel like the book is useless to me. I'm not using...

It boils down to a simple conflict of attitude and opinion. The stuff you see as "wasted space" that "encourages people to get too caught up on stuff that doesn't actually mean anything" are the very things other people enjoy most (descriptive text that defines the game world).

Dismissing all the non-mechanical stuff as "generally not that important because it doesn't do anything during the game" isn't going to help sell your thesis to that segment of the community. The stuff your dismissing as unimportant is the stuff that makes Pathfinder a role playing game (story plus mechanics) as opposed to a board game (mechanics with no story).

-Skeld

Grand Lodge

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

This thread is a real eye-opener.

It also makes me glad that Im not involved in PFS because it seems to me (as I've said in other threads), it really seems to drive a lot of the RAW-or-else attitude toward the game. It really seems to stress people out, get them completely wound up, and sours attitudes, all of which is bad for everyone involved.

-Skeld

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
S1nfulFuzzball wrote:
Shicil wrote:
S1nfulFuzzball wrote:
So I'll be starting this one soon and one thing I'm having issue with is where do I fit in/explain any random encounters. I know I could use the fog to make things magically appear probably but I feel that that's a super cheap way of doing things. Also anybody know of a good general number of random encounters I should have the PC's go up against?
If you don't like the idea of trying to incorporate random encounters, just don't. If you feel like the party is feeling too confident or safe, or think they need an extra challenge, just use the random encounter table as a guideline and plan out an encounter to occur more naturally.
I'm trying to plan things out in muy head as to how the encounters may go and I'm having some luck. I'm finding myself more worried about making sure that the PC's make it to level 2 before they proceed into part 2. And for that to happen the group needs to earn a little over 1k xp total I think.

Shicil is giving you good advice: if you don't like random encounters, just don't have random encounters. They can be very swingy and dangerous at low levels because, well, they're random. You might roll a tough encounter at the end of a day that your PCs are tapped out on resources. Then you just have some dead PCs for no story reason at all.

If your concerned about how the PCs will earn enough XP to reach a certain level by a certain point without random encounters, then just don't use XP. The AP already provides you with information like, "The PCs should be level X by the time they reach <milestone>." Level your characters according to that and you'll be fine (unless you <=3 players, or >5, in which case you'll need to make challenge adjustments anyway).

My group has been playing APs sans random encounters and XP since before Pathfinder was a thing and it works just fine.

-Skeld

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Last time this came up, Vic (I think) said these aren't a Paizo product. Instead, they're made under license by whomever publishs those translations. They've said they've looked into this kinda thing, but the demand isn't high enough to justify the cost.

May be worth revisiting though. Personally, I wouldn't be interested.

-Skeld

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Dracoknight wrote:
Skeld wrote:

I don't PFS, so FAQ/errata really doesn't matter to me. I do, however, think its good that devs go back and look at things that were previously published, instead of everything that goes out the door being fire-and-forget. I also think that the nature of PFS is the driving force behind nearly all the churn and certainly all the rawr it generates.

-Skeld

The problem is that their FAQ/Errata is pretty much "fire and forget" nerf it to uselessness and they never have to look at the item ever again.

I don't think that's a fair assessment because some of the errata has been revisited.

-Skeld

Grand Lodge

3 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
knightnday wrote:
If you do and house rules, FAQ, errata, mean GMs, jealous players or whatever crops up and removes that choice then you feel like your fun is somehow ruined.

Cosmo. It's always Cosmo's fault.

-Skeld

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

The Advice forum is a great place for general advice-type questions. If you have specific questions regarding RotRL, or want to read through the accumulated knowledge of all those who came before you, the RotRL forum is the place to go.

Good luck with your campaign;it's really fun!

-Skeld

Grand Lodge

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

I don't PFS, so FAQ/errata really doesn't matter to me. I do, however, think its good that devs go back and look at things that were previously published, instead of everything that goes out the door being fire-and-forget. I also think that the nature of PFS is the driving force behind nearly all the churn and certainly all the rawr it generates.

-Skeld

Grand Lodge

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

I've been a merc my entire professional life.

I do the job; I get paid.

-Skeld

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Atarlost wrote:

GM rolling not only devalues reroll mechanics, but also devalues well rounded characters.

If Alice has the highest sense motive and the GM rolls low for her it doesn't matter if Bob with his slightly lower sense motive succeeds because his result will always be discarded on the grounds that Alice has a higher modifier. His skill ranks are a complete waste. Only the most minmaxed character for each skill that isn't personal only in effect matters. This is already a problem with active skills like diplomacy and disable device and leads to characters being unable to interact with many scenes even if they tried just because someone minmaxed that skill more, but by concealing roll results it is also made the case for reactive and passive skills. This is a bad thing.

Or, if the GM is going to roll Sense Motive for the players, the GM can roll for all the players instead of just picking the one with the highest bonus.

It actually works well because GM can say, "players A, B, and C, you think the innkeeper is lieing, but C and D thinks he's being honest." Now they have to suss that out with rolls to make assumptions with.

-Skeld

Grand Lodge

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
thorin001 wrote:
Skeld wrote:

As far as skills go, Disable Device is one that I almost always roll for my players. I also roll some Perception checks, such as when they're looking for traps. These rolls are one where there can be a significant cost for failure. Rolling for the players removes the temptation to metagame because now they don't know if their result was a 5 or a 15 and they can't glean any information from the raw numbers.

I'll also roll Sense Motive and Disguise when I feel it's warranted. Heck, I'll even roll a saving throw on occasion, such as when a monster has a secondary effect attached to its attack, like decease. I'll make the Fort save in secret, without even telling them it took place. Mif they failed, they'll find out after the incubation period. :D

-Skeld

The Sense Motive I can see, you never know if you got a good read off of someone or not. But Fort saves?

Yes, Fort saves. A specific example would be the Fort save versus disease that rides on a Ghoul's bite attack. When a PC is bitten by a Ghoul, I'll roll the PC's Fort save without telling the player. This prevents situations like, "low roll, cleric can you give me a remove disease?" or "high roll, no way I got ghoul fever!" because the player has no knowledge of an attempt being made, much less being able to guess the outcome based on the unmodified roll. There's no opportunity for metagaming, and it can be a fun moment (for everyone, believe it or not) when a player realizes their character caught a disease from that encounter 2 days ago.

Quote:
What does that really add to the game aside from some chuckles at your players' expense?

This is an unfair characterization. I don't do it for the lulz. I do it because it promotes a little extra dramatic tension.

n00bxqb wrote:

For saves rolled by the DM, how does a player take advantage of feats like Improved Iron Will?

If you can't see the roll, how will you be able to make a judgment call as to whether or not you want to use your re-roll attempt?

I'll worry about if/when any of my players ever take one of those feats (really though, we're talking about a very small percentage of Fort saves, so let's keep the scale in mind). If a player did have a limited use feat or ability that provided a reroll on a failed save, I'd probably reroll a failed save and not count it against there uses of that ability/feat.

dysartes wrote:

I think the key point with any of these cases where the GM will roll for players is to make sure your players know about it up-front.

As noted, there are a number of cases where it makes sense, but I think it is important to be clear about the fact that you'll roll some checks for them (or do the Take 10 Passive Perception, etc) when you start the campaign, rather than springing it on them the first time an appropriate situation occurs.

I agree. The last 2 or 3 campaigns I've run, I've made sure to make this point before we started. My players know to expect this going into a campaign. They've never complained about it either. Then again, they're a pretty awesome group.

-Skeld

Grand Lodge

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

As far as skills go, Disable Device is one that I almost always roll for my players. I also roll some Perception checks, such as when they're looking for traps. These rolls are one where there can be a significant cost for failure. Rolling for the players removes the temptation to metagame because now they don't know if their result was a 5 or a 15 and they can't glean any information from the raw numbers.

I'll also roll Sense Motive and Disguise when I feel it's warranted. Heck, I'll even roll a saving throw on occasion, such as when a monster has a secondary effect attached to its attack, like decease. I'll make the Fort save in secret, without even telling them it took place. Mif they failed, they'll find out after the incubation period. :D

-Skeld

Grand Lodge

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

The bag's name is Gorbacz.

-Skeld

Grand Lodge

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Dante Doom wrote:
So, what do you do if a character dies? How can we get to include a new character? The fudge state seens very important and the only way I think is make the new character one of the survivors, but still no idea about the fudge state...

Mmmmmm, fudge. ;)

-Skeld

Grand Lodge

3 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

I had a player a long time ago who always wanted to play something unusual or against type. His reason was that he hated playing humans/elves/dwarves/etc. it always translated into extra work for me, not to mention a certain amount of belief suspension for the other players as to why the townsfolk who hated lizardfolk didn't automatically attack the PC lizardfolk that just walked into town.

It got to the point where he'd want to switch to a new character every couple levels because the new toy wasn't new and exotic enough anymore. Everyone else just sorta rolled their eyes about him.

-Skeld

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Ugh. Just, ugh.

I'm not clicking any links to this blog again.

-Skeld

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
137ben wrote:
Anguish wrote:


That's the year Paizo loses me as a customer. Not hyperbole.

I'm an IT guy, so it's not technophobia or illiteracy. It's that when I elect to deal with Company A, I expect I am dealing with only Company A. Shifting anything into social media has inevitable data leakage. That's how they pay their bills.

Now, I can tolerate light integration, for instance allowing PayPal as a payment method. But the day I need to visit Facebook to discuss Pathfinder is the day I stop discussing Pathfinder.

If marketing demographics have value, they have value to me. I choose to keep that data where and when I can. It's sort of like savings.

You know that that is simply not true. When you come to Paizo.com, you aren't just dealing with Paizo. You're also dealing with your Internet Service Provider. You're dealing with the company that develops your browser. You're dealing with the company that produces your operating system (and yes, both Linux and BSD get funding from corporations). The PRD uses jQuery, so if you use the PRD you are also dealing with the jQuery Foundation (and, by extension, the corporate members of the jQuery Foundation.) You're also dealing with GoDaddy, which authorizes SSL for the secure portions of Paizo's website (at least if w3techs is accurate.

That is in addition to all the companies that make different hardware components which make up the computer you are using to access this website.

If you use Mozilla Firefox, then you are also sending telemetry data back to Mozilla. The same goes for most other browsers (including Chrome, MS Edge, and Safari.)

I'm not sure it was ever really possible to deal with "only Company A" over the internet. If it was possible at one time, though, that time has long since passed. You are using products from many, many different companies when you turn on your computer, boot...

I almost said that I think you missued his point, but I think you got his point then took it several steps in an oblique direction.

-Skeld

Grand Lodge

3 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

I'm just glad were moving on from Cheliax.

The next three PF APs all sound cool to me.

-Skeld

Grand Lodge

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Because there have been a lot of threads lately where I ask myself if I'm playing the same game* as the OP or others who might been heavily involved in the discussion.

Sometimes, it's like watching a far-off, slow-moving trainwreck where you're helpless to do anything about it and you'll just be in the way if you go over there. When its over and the mess is cleaned up, you're left thinking to yourself, "I'm glad that wasn't me!"

-Skeld

* PFS doesn't count because that is a different game.

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Jaçinto wrote:
Just read a few posts but dude, seriously, how ELSE would you run sanity? Base it on strength? It's your mental health so of course it is based on mental stats.

This was kinda my thinking while reading this thread. Mental Health attacks versus Mental stats and Will saves required; seems like a no-brainer.

Then again, I'm actually pleased with the overall framework for Sanity. It looks like I'm in the minority there (for this thread, at least). I would rather that level or HD factor into the Sanity score and I think the recovery times are kinda brutal, so those are changes I'll make.

Blackwaltzomega wrote:
Honestly, it might've been better off if it was based purely off charisma. Lord knows the stat doesn't do anything else by itself...

I was pushing for a Charisma-based point system early on that would boost the usefulness of Charisma and make dump-stating Charisma less appealing.

-Skeld

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

I'm the one who first mentioned the Gug. The way it's head-mouth opened reminded me of a Gug. It could be a Dimensional Shambler though. I'm not very familiar with them (other than the name sounding boring).

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

My guess: The AP subscription only includes the AP. Nothing more and nothing less.

As you've pointed out, the folios are easy enough to get if you want them. If they wee included in the AP sub, they'd be much harder to avoid for all the subscribers that didn't want them.

-Skeld

Grand Lodge

6 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Gorbacz wrote:
MYTHIC FEROS wrote:

I have the PDF. Unleash your questions.

:D

Who are you and what have you done to Skeld?

Skeld has been cleaning up on aisle "fishfood and 4-year-old."

Also, I haven't gotten a shipping notice yet. :D

-Skeld

Grand Lodge

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

I was much less interested in how they were playing D&D than that they were playing D&D and that those gaming themes (the Demogorgon, the Upside Down, etc.) were important to the overall mystery the characters worked to solve.

Grand Lodge

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Reckless wrote:
As for the Sheriff , yah, his first appearance had me expecting to be much more of a douche than he was.

I liked that his go-to tactic was lie to people, then punch them.

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Barbara sorta is Molly Ringwald-esque.

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
zylphryx wrote:

Great show. Just finished the binge. ;) And yes, I agree Shinhakkaider's description is pretty well spot on. :)

** spoiler omitted **

Spoiler:
I don't think she sealed the gate because that scene happened before Will, Joyce, and Hopper returned (if the sequence of scenes is to be believed). You might be right about her banishing herself and the Gug back to Upsidedown, instead of dieing in the literal sense. Regardless, it was still a final sacrifice. One thing though: there wasn't any follow-up on what happened with the gate or the lab and all.

zylphryx wrote:

I am really hoping this is not a "one season and done" thing. I can see one of two routes for the series.

** spoiler omitted **

Spoiler:
This feels more like a single season anthology to me, but I'd be interested in seeing some of these characters again.

zylphryx wrote:
Either would be good with me. This really was a top notch production (not to mention being able to relate to kids playing D&D in 1983 ... I was just a year or two older than the kids portrayed in the show then and had been playing for almost 6 years at that point).

I know what you mean. I was right about their age in 1983, although I didn't start playing until '85.

Grand Lodge

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

I finished the series tonight and it was fantastic.

Spoiler:
The monster was basically a Gug. Although I wasn't surprised, it was sad to see Eleven sacrifice herself. I also really like the Police Cheif character.

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

I'm really looking forward to this. It might be the next campaign I run for my group.

-Skeld

Grand Lodge

3 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Kalindlara wrote:
So you're allowed to post over and over again about how badly you want a Tian Xia AP. But other people with other desires aren't allowed to disagree?

Hayato's been been banging this drum for a looong time.

-Skeld

Grand Lodge

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

My advice is to stop killing all the PCs at every opportunity. Only kill them at every other opportunity.

That's good GMing, right there.

-Skeld

Grand Lodge

3 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Nutcase Entertainment wrote:
UnArcaneElection wrote:
Eliandra Giltessan wrote:
The way the Glorious Reclamation is portrayed is a lot of the reason that I'm not enjoying Hell's Vengeance. I feel there's a lot of "Good is dumb, so it makes sense to be evil," which I find insulting to good people and less satisfying to people who really want to play evil.

Now you've reminded me that I really need to see Spaceballs . . . .

* * * * * * * *

Oh and by the way, one of my character concepts for Hell's Vengeance is a mad cowboy politician who aspires to become a Subgenius Loci . . . .

Hmm, running Hell's Vengeance as a Mel Brooks' film... heck, almost any AP.

My players very nearly turn everything into a Mel Brooks movie anyway, so why not?

-Skeld

Grand Lodge

6 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Jaçinto wrote:

About what Vic Wertz said on nobody expecting it to sell that well. That honestly scares me. It makes it sound like they don't have much faith in the product or they are not really giving it their all. I know that probably isn't true but it really is scary to see a creator saying things like that. Again, I may be overly analytical. I can't help but analyze every little thing, especially from someone working on the project. Saying it will not be measured by Pathfinder as a standard raises more concerns like, are you saying you don't consider it as good? Are you just saying it is different? Confidence in a product, at least in what a person involved with the creation says on it is the general average and sometimes ignored, but when someone says something that can be considered disparaging, or even make the game sound kinda "meh" or the devs make it sound like almost a throw away side project, well it is scary. How can I have much confidence in it when it sounds like a person involved in the creation of it doesn't consider it as worthy of their main game's sales level.

Once again, overly analytical sure, plus I may have taken marketing classes a bit too seriously back in school.

You're reading way too much into what Vic said. He didn't say that they expect to bomb or do poorly; he said it doesn't need to be as successful as Pathfinder to be considered a success. Vastly different, those two ideas.

Nyan Cat wrote:
Begun, the Paizo Edition Wars haz?

The Paizo Edition Wars started about 35 seconds after PFRPG was released.

-Skeld

Grand Lodge

3 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

I'm pretty tired of Cheliax at this point.

-Skeld

1 to 50 of 797 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

©2002–2016 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.