|Paizo Pathfinder® Paizo Games|
|About Paizo Messageboards News Paizo Blog Help/FAQ|
James Jacobs wrote:
1) How do such foreign(?) gods pop up in Golarion? Do they send heralds? Avatars? Mortal worshipers teleporting over?
1a) And how to Golarion deities and foreign ones fight it out? Avatar combat? Gods's Chess? Roll d20s?
2) Many of the Golarion gods have homes in the outer planes. Would it be safe to assume that there are gods from other worlds whose homes are on the outer planes too?
For example, would a LG deity of another world likely to be one of Iomedae's neighbors in Heaven?
Hence I was hoping for an official reply. Asked the author, but he said that the item was added by paizo, not him.
Its a 3000gp improvised weapon. So is the bypass DR (all) a planned part of this item?
1) Is the first world a plane like heaven or the abyss (aka planes that are a location) Or is it more like a mirror copy of the material plane?
1a) If its more like a mirror copy, does this means that there is a equivalent of outer space in the first world and there are planets, solar bodies, etc that are the first worlds of other planets/etc.
1b) Same question as 1a on the Shadow and Ethereal Plane.
2) How do beings like the outer gods, elder gods and the Dominion of the Black, that exists in the materiel universe and beings from the Great Beyond like the Proteans, demons, angels, devils, Axiomites, etc, view each other?
2a) And if they come into contact how would they respond? Fight? Ignore each other?
3) Do members of the Dominion of the Black have souls? And if so, do they get judged at the Boneyard?
4) Is the Dominion of the Black actually evil Flumphs?
5) Is there anything the Dominion of the Black actually fears? Magical Ponies? Magical Caring Bears? Their Mother-in-Laws? Competing organizations that mass produce whatever the Dominion of the Black is selling, in a china factory like way? (The last is a stereotype)
6) Do Golarion Deities ever face being challenged by gods from other worlds?
7) Are Golarion Deities, especially the older ones like Sarenrae worshiped on other worlds?
8) When races view the gods, do they always see them in the image of their own race?
9) Do people use the Outer Planes like Axis as a transfer stop to travel from one planet on the material plane to another planet?
10) What would the Mi-go do, if a worldwound appears on their planet.
Are you using the ARG to make a customized tree race? Or are you basing this off an existing creature?
My only advice at this time is to NOT be a Wood school wizard!
I have a PFS fighter-archer character who is a Seeker.
Firstly, I would advice you not to go with just 10 wis, try placing more points into it. Even if it is just to a 12.
Secondly, Your explanation for Focused Shot is sound, but I would still advise you take up Rapid Shot or some other feat instead. The extra damage for a single shot is just not worth it.
Playing an archer from lv 1, you will realize your play style changes as you level up. You start off as more of a support role, playing second fiddle to front loaded classes like the barbarian or summoner, but as you level, you will get a lot better and outpace the other classes
As a Fighter-archer, you want to focus on getting as much static damage on your arrows. Weapon training + dueling gloves, weapon specializations and its greater version, are what separates a fighter archer from rangers or zen archers.
Your selection of Clustered Shots is well chosen! That feat is almost a must have at higher levels. Especially in the face of robots and demons, all with DR. While others cry over DR, you can scoff at it.
Finally, I would suggest Combat Reflexes + Snap Shot and Improved Snap Shot line over Disrupting Shot.
All archer builds are good, each bring something different to the table. The most important ability is to not get mind-controlled!
EDIT!: One VERY IMPORTANT thing to add. Grab the following Ranged Weapon Qualities on your Bow ASAP!: (from most important to least)
2) Seeking - Got an invisible enemy? Facing a caster with the Blur spell? Or Mirror image? Fog? Seeking solves all those problems. Target the right square and you won't have to roll for a miss chance.
3) Adaptive - Planning to get a Str boost from bull strength? Or a +2 str belt/ioun stone later? Adaptive is a cheap way to up your Str rating on your bow, when you need it as you need it.
4) Holy (optional) - You should not much problems hitting targets as you reach higher levels. Holy is a great way to get more damage per hit. More so as your an archer! With 4-6 attacks at mid lvls, each hit by an arrow nets 2d6 damage against the most common enemy alignment type.
5) Glamered (optional) - Some times... you will have no choice, but to enter a location without your weapons, or your weapon may be peacebonded. This helps in sneaking your bow across.
Hope all this helps! And enjoy playing a fighter-archer.
1) (You really don't have to answer this one.) I was looking through the Gen con paizo blog post, when I saw a pic of you... ah... well... did you slimmed down?
2) PFS in-game lore: What is the relationship of the various factions of the Pathfinder Society to each other and the society itself?
I'm asking this as I was running the Weapon in the Rift scenario recently and I notice that it is written that Ollysta Zadrian the faction leader of the Silver Crusaders have "left the Society" to "start" her own faction. This is reflected in the King of Chaos(?) book as well?
This got me puzzled, as I always thought that the various factions are part of the society itself. That they are like interest groups within an organization.
Could you clarify/elaborate on this?
3) I recently saw the article on Occult Adventures and the new psychic classes. After passing the message along to my fellow players/GMs, a couple gave replies that are quite negative about this news.
Do you ever worry that consumers may get buyers fatigue?
4) Is it possible for a Kaiju to be a spaceship as well? Or have a species or civilization living on/within it?
5) Do any Kaiju has ties to the outer gods?
6) With the release of Iron Gods and other books that talk about the material universe, like the Golarion's solar system, is there ideals to take space travel further and include a "Spelljammer" type adventure path or books that expand on space travel?
7) Is there even active space travel in the Golarion universe?
8) Are there any place/plane in Golarion that a god cannot grant spells to her followers? (Like a anti-divine communication zone)
9) I just read that demon lords that died end up in a place in the abyss. Do Gods that died have a similar "final resting place" for their essence or their corpses?
10) What advice/s would you give someone going to gencon for the first time?
Thanks for any answers to the above!
I noticed that in the guide, the text on blessings seems to suggest they only work on giving your allies the effects of the blessing.
But isn't there is an FAQ that states, you count as your ally for the purpose of spells and powers unless it does not make sense?
So you can easily bless yourself with say the Air domain's flight and go charging at targets yourself.
Also the minor Air Domain blessing is effectively a free Point Blank Master feat. Having played an archer, you can't imagine how many large or above sized monsters with reach, would just love to sink their claws into a foolish archer without Point Blank Master.
I can't print them, our library charges a dollar a page to print and my computer cannot handle large files. I still need to print the CRB. Its gonna be pricey at the library
Wow... that is VERY expensive. Hopefully you can find a print shop to print from instead. They usually charge a lot less. (At least in my part of the world.)
Many newer players have no ideal what is the Pathfinder Society (in-game lore). Many have even leveled up to higher levels, with little ideal of who are the Decemvirate or what is the role of a Venture Captain (Other then a quest giver)
I'm planning to make a list of "common terms" of the Pathfinder Society for my local play groups, but is already there such a list out there?
If anyone can list terms (and their means!) that I should have list in such a list, please do let me know below!
Don't underestimate the wealthy. Not all of them is going to tightfisted or rational about the use of their money.
Many a times its also about social status and prestige.
Given the chance to own, brag and show off an expensive magical device can improves one's social standing in the eyes of one's peers.
Otherwise why do you think there is such a market for luxury products?
Not sure what level you are at now, but do remember that low level characters can't be detected by detect evil, unless your a cleric or similar class that have an evil aura class feature.
By the time you hit Lv 5+, you should be able to throw up a misdirection spell most of time to help avoid being discovered by detect evil.
(!) Note, Nethys is true neutral... so... LE might not fit your character? I would suggest being a LE worshiper of Abadar, with a emphasis on civilization + power.
For the LE part, be honest about your reasons, you can sound power hungry, whine about the goodness of the paladin, etc and make yourself sound more neutral then evil. (While still doing evil things to justify the LE alignment.)
Andrew Christian wrote:
I found the posts, they are by James Jacobs on his ask him anything thread. Since it is not an official thread/answer... I guess yap, still no official answer then.
Wasn't this explained before by Mike or some one else from Paizo in another post?
I remembered something about how adding CHA twice to dex works was explained using a paladin and oracle?
Something like if one ability says in place of and the other says add, they both work, but if both abilities say add, only the highest will work out?
Can't quite remember which thread...
James Jacobs wrote:
Thanks for the heads-up! Looking forward to book 4 of Iron Gods!
Given the cover art has a Ilee as the model, I assume it has something to do with the tenth planet Apostae as well?
Wow, that is a ton of very important info! Got to pass the message along.
Edit: So the Technologist feat is not required for certain skill checks? They just have a bonus to such checks? Or is this in reverse, where those that lack the Technologist feat takes a penalty but can still complete the check?
Prerequisite(s): Cha 13, Knowledge (religion) 5 ranks, ability to cast 2nd-level divine spells; blessings, domains, or mystery class feature.
Benefit: You gain a bonus equal to your Charisma modifier on all saving throws. If your Charisma modifier is already applied as a bonus on all saving throw (such as from the divine grace class feature), you instead gain a +1 bonus on all saving throws.
Cha is your main caster stat, so you get extra love from this feat. It is a must have at level 5. All other feats are secondary to this.
Be careful, there are people pushing for a FAQ on Pummeling style ability to work with any weapon. People are arguing that by RAI Pummeling style should only work with unarmed fist.
I would suggest, avoiding the use of such a build until what weapons Pummeling style should work with is confirmed.
I'm just worried about what I should do if I'm gming a game where a player brings Trusty Buddy to the table and another player or fellow GM(as a player) at the same table call foul over the by pass DR.
1) Do I, as the game's GM, use my own judgment and allow Trusty Buddy to bypass DR of any type? As this is my view of the Trusty Buddy's RAW wording on the chronicle sheet?
2) Or do I not allow it, as the item (Trusty Buddy)'s abilities is challenged by another GM?
3) Or maybe I should just contact my VC and use his or her view for any local game I'm running?
I mean, someone is going to be unhappy and it may end up with a "My GM don't follow PFS rules" thread on the messageboards, bemoaning my refusal to allow something that is black and white on paper?
And god help me if someone pulls the SLA boon trick with a character at my table. I'm going to be hard pressed to say no the face of RAW... :(
I mean GMing for PFS means I need to follow RAW right? Even if it is something I won't or will allow in my own homebrew?
As PFS GMs are we allowed to interpret our own view on items/boons what appears in chronicle and boon sheets, in the absent of an PDF update, FAQ or clarification from Paizo or Mike?
Is it even advisable?
I'm asking cos recently the issue of SLA on chronicle sheets being able to allow a character to access a prestige class was brought up. And while I personally don't think it should work, I understand that by raw it does work.
Which brings up back to an item like Trusty Buddy, where by raw it bypasses DR, with no specific kind of DR mentioned on the sheet, but if GMs can decided on how items/boons on chronicle sheets works, then won't what is allowed or not allowed on a table (as far as items and boons on chronicle sheets are concern) be at the mercy of how a GM's own views on such items?
Check with your GM if retraining of feats is allowed in this campaign. You can consider retraining your feats at lv 7.
I have to say, it is a little weird that your GM allows a conjuration sorcerer over a illusionist one. Considering that summoning is usually considered more powerful/useful then illusion.
As avr mentioned, Evolved Summoned Monster is very good. Also consider checking up the the Champions of Purity/Balance books and consider the Summon Good/Neutral Monster feats, to expand your summoning options. (Only get these 2 if you really one a particular monster or have the feat to spare. )
Fighter are also good archers. I think an archer could do comparable damage to a swashbuckler without having to worry about the precision damage that might stop a swashbuckler.
Got to 2nd this. Fighter-Archers are very scary. While all archers are scary, each class that can be an archer is scary in a different way.Fighter-Archers are scary cos they usually have a larger base damage to each shot and a higher to hit then other archers.
Not to mention, if you drop them in an anti-magic field, they are just going to get a little annoyed and proceed to shoot the BBEG to death.
They also usually have enough feats to be crazily powerful with feats to spare to grab defensive feats to help overcome their lack of better saves.
There are ways around doors... Create Pit centered on the door. Drop in, walk across, and ride it back up on the other side. Especially if invisible...
You mean creating a pit centered on the floor where the door is?
Hummm... that's quite a nifty use of create pit. :)
Sounds like your players are all min-maxers that LOVE power classes/archetpes like the Synthesist summoner!
On why the Tiefling and Assimar no longer allowed, there are a couple of reasons,
1) Tiefling and Assimars were kinda tailored for season 5, which is all about the worldwound. With that season behind us, these 2 races are just not common anymore.
2) The more mechanical reason is that Tiefling and Assimars have "sub-races" with very different stats. With a wide variety to subraces of different stats to choose from, they are really like a dozen races under the name of a single race. With the addition of above average racial powers, they are high on the power curve and kinda flooding game tables.
3) They ARE flooding games tables. Making ever other class less attractive.
However, there are 3 new races (formally requiring boons.) The Wayang, Kitsune and Nagaji. They are open for all players to use.
Personally, I would prefer not to make a character around such a boon to avoid a GM telling me no. The options when something like that happens is not good,
1) Make a big fuss over the issue. With the GM likely giving you the boot
2) Run crying to your VC for help, but you will end up missing the game. AND your VC may or may nor allow it.
3) Intimidate/diplo your GM to allow it, which will result in:
3a - Your GM goes to VC after the game to ask about it with 2) results.
3b - Your GM don't care about it, which result in you repeating all this with the NEXT GM down the line. And no gm likes the "But the other time, the OTHER GM allowed it."
Reading through these boards, I came to understand that even if something has a FAQ entry or is clearly written down in black and white on a boon sheet, GMs could always have a different view of how a rule/boon/feat/spell/etc works.
There are also cases of spells/feats played wrongly due to lack of understanding of different rules and even "regional variation" of certain rules or enforcement of rules.
In short, never expect the same thing at different PFS tables. You are usually quite safe playing in the same area with GMs you know, but once outside of your usual places, expect table variations.
Disk Elemental wrote:
Where is this item from?
Jeff Merola wrote:
We were kinda surprised at his ruling as well. (More so for the players actually playing at his table.)
From what I understand, he seems certain about it. I guess most other GMs don't see the spell the way he ruled it.
Actually it don't out right protect you from dominate.
The protect from evil effect grants you 2 will saves on the first dominate attempt and protect you from further attempts from the same source.
DM Under The Bridge wrote:
I know which anime you are talking about and NO that guy is NOT a paladin.
Cruel and paladin don't go hand in hand.
Core FAQ: wrote:
Sorry Pupsocket, but the FAQ has answered the vital strike question. An attack action is a specific kind of standard action. So just like Vital Strike, Dead Aim won't work with AoOs.