Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
About Paizo Messageboards News Paizo Blog Help/FAQ
Helmet

Pyrrhic Victory's page

Goblin Squad Member. Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Tales Subscriber. Pathfinder Society Member. 347 posts (1,081 including aliases). 2 reviews. No lists. No wishlists. 2 Pathfinder Society characters. 1 alias.


RSS

1 to 50 of 347 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | next > last >>
Cheliax

4 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Tales Subscriber

Specific examples?

Cheliax

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Tales Subscriber
Kolokotroni wrote:
Atarlost wrote:

I think it's past time for new edition planning to start. They'll make a mess if the wind up having to rush one and PF is showing cracks where they changed things from 3.5 in addition to some of 3.5's perennial issues. I'd rather they take 5 years simmering PF2 on the back burner at 20% and trickling out prototypes the way B9S was allegedly a prototype for 4th edition than put all their effort into getting it out in a year.

Paizo doesnt do anything 20%. If they were going to do a new edition it would be a massive playtest of the scale that the beta rules went under. They have a commitment to transparency and openess to their rules as well as public discourse. That cant be done at 20%. Not to mention their flagship products are still not rpg books. They are adventures. And those arent showing any signs at all of 'cracking' and dnd 'next' wont have any impact on them. In fact if dnd next does what it says it will, it might even INCREASE adventure sales as people buy aps and convert them to next.

Quote:

To that end I'd like to see something similar to Expanded Arcana that can try to fix some of the underlying issues with things like stealth, feinting, and combat maneuvers with "optional" rules, and I'd like to see them used in society play so they actually get tested thoroughly.

A book of optional rules is entirely possible. We've gotten a chunk of it at various different places. But a big book of it might be cool

Quote:


I think the ACG may be a good start, actually. Or not. Depends what the investigator and slayer wind up looking like. I'd like to see true replacements for all the problem classes that can be re-merged into the classics when second edition comes around so replacing the rogue is a start.

Re-combining it would be a mistake. The whole problem with the rogue (and the monk) is that it tries to do too much. The ninja, slayer, and investigator all break pieces of hte rogue out and focus on those, doing them well....

I actually think many people would disagree with this point of view. Most of the complaints I see about character builds is that they can't do everything not that they are too broad and general. More specialized classes just seems like being railroaded down a particular path to me.

Cheliax

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Tales Subscriber
Scythia wrote:

If a law were enacted that required the highest earner in any company be paid no more than 25 times as much as the lowest (including stock options, cashed in vacation days, and severance), this would allow a CEO who paid a base of $40,000/year to be paid $1,000,000/year.

Do you think this would help combat income inequality? Do you think such a law would be just? Why or why not? Would you be more willing to agree with allowing a 50 times higher difference (20k - 1mil)?

The real question that needs to be answered is "Why do you have a problem with income inequality?"

If you work 10 hours and your friend works 1 hour should you not be paid more? Income inequality!

If your job is very important or rare should you not be paid more than someone whose job is less important and common? Income inequality!!

Should the President be paid more than a mailman? Income inequality!!!

The whole idea that some people get paid too much is silly. If you can be easily replaced you will not be paid very much. If you have a special skill set or perform a rare or valuable or popular service you will be paid more.

What we learn from history is that economic equality can only be achieved by bringing everyone in society DOWN to the level of the lowest producers and only through TYRANNY. Why? Because you can't make unintelligent people smarter and you can't make lazy people more motivated but it is pretty easy to kill smart people and intimidate productive people into not being productive. Just ask the Russians, Chinese, Cambodians, North Koreans, etc. etc. etc.

Cheliax

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Tales Subscriber

When I hear people claim that 3rd edition is the problem for fighters I know right away that they never played 1st or 2nd Ed.

Let me sum up every thing a fighter could do mechanically in early editions of the game.

Fighter "I attack"

DM "you hit"

Fighter "I do 9 points of damage"

DM "next"

I loved 1st Ed but 3rd Ed vastly opened up the options for fighters. The very idea that you can use feats to create different kinds of fighters (two handed, two weapon, bow specialist, pole arm). You can say that 3rd Ed gave even more options to other classes but not that it did not improve the fighter.

Frankly, because I am an old time gamer, I don't expect every class to be able to do everything. I'm perfectly fine with Fighters fighting and bards singing and clerics healing and wizards being awesome.

Cheliax

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Tales Subscriber

MORE DRAGONS!!!!

Cheliax

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Tales Subscriber

The truth is it is hard to find a job. But not because the system is broken or rigged in some way. We as a society have become too used to instant gratification. We currently are in the middle of many years of slow economy. That stinks and makes jobs precious. So you get what job you can. Don't wait for your ideal job. Work hard. Prove yourself. Advance.

Our grandparents are rolling in their graves listening to us. They didn't expect to like their jobs they expected to work and get paid. They did so without government safety nets like long term unemployment, insurance and retirement. We have it easy by comparison.

Cheliax

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Tales Subscriber

Yes it is shocking that female heroes have outfits that derive from what females are more likely to where and male heroes have outfits that derive from what males are more likely to where.

In fact realistically I have never seen a man walking down the street in tights like many male superheroes but I see women in skin tight clothing every day. So I in fact find it more shocking that men are wearing skin tight mono-suits than women doing so.

Cheliax

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Tales Subscriber
Anzyr wrote:
MattR1986 wrote:
What anzyr said because that is just solid logic and how the world works. You can figure everything out with calculations and formulas. Its why we can always mathematically determine who is going to be the next president in 3 years or how many murders there will be next year.
I knew (along with anyone else who was paying attention) with an incredibly high certainty that Obama was going to win the election (thanks to Nate Silver's site running the numbers). Because statistics do in fact work. The problem you are having MattR1986 is that your experiences are lying to you, just like all the Republicans who came up with a whole bunch of reasons why the statistics projected were wrong (even though obviously they were right). People deceive themselves all the times to try and make things match their expectations/wishes/etc., and that why you can't trust experiences when trying to determine objective truths.

Tell that to Al Gore! The problem most people have with statistics in the political arena is that we have years of experience from before the last election where the number crunchers were wrong. That is because, at least when it comes to politics, many studies are purposely biased.

The question thus becomes not "do you trust numbers" but do you trust the person or organization that is pushing those numbers.

In LA we have a joke that you need to subtract at least 5 points from the democratic/liberal side of any LA Times poll. Can't even tell you how many times their numbers are just wildly wrong.

Cheliax

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Tales Subscriber

This is a style feat. The style is fight with an earthbreaker and klar gain certain benefits.

As a former lawyer I understand when people try to parse words and read things that were never intended. That was my job for many years.

However, as a gamer I think to do so is pure cheese.

Imagine a feat that allowed you to fight with a rapier and swordbreaker in return for some advantage. This would be a style feat meant to re-create a certain historical fighting style. Would you take the feat and then fight only with the rapier and then claim the advantage?

I wouldn't.

Cheliax

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Tales Subscriber

I will change my name to Gil Aore and make millions campaigning righteously against the menace of global cooling err negative climate change.

Cheliax

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Tales Subscriber
Seppuku wrote:

Perhaps good is for cowards and the unmotivated?

Good is for anti-capitalists.

Evil is for those who are self starters and driven to always improve themselves.

Just the opposite! Good is for hard workers who do it themselves and then are satisfied with their reward. Evil is for the lazy! Always looking for a way to avoid the consequences of their actions.

Cheliax

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Tales Subscriber
thejeff wrote:
Krensky wrote:
thejeff wrote:
Pyrrhic Victory wrote:


The US is bringing in record levels of tax revenue, more than we ever have in the history of the country...more than any other country in the history of the world. We have plenty of money to spend, we need to figure out how to live within our means. We are like the richest person in the world complaining that he can't pay his bills because he can't stop spending.

Record levels of tax revenues in nominal dollars. Which doesn't really mean anything.

As a percentage of GDP it's still below long term average.

Plus everyone conveniently forgets that the US has always (well, not counting a year or so during 1835 - 1836) ran a debt.

Or that a government's finances are nothing like a large business', let alone a person or family's.

But we have the BIGGEST debt ever! more than any other country in the history of the world!!!

It's in numbers so big I can't even understand them. That's how I know they're scary and we have to do something drastic right now!!!!

Like cut foreign aid.
Or cut taxes. [ooc]that's always a solution[ooc]
Or cut my retirement!
Something! Anything!

I guess you are going for sarcasm, the problem is that you must not have really studied this issue. Most people assume they understand when they really don't.

Yes the us and many modern countries have often run deficits and sometimes pilled up national debt. Debt by itself is not a boogey man and neither are short term deficits used for national emergencies such as great depressions and wars.

The problem comes when deficit spending becomes the norm and debt begins to grow out of control. Solvent countries can not have a national debt so big that just paying the interest on the debt requires the totality of the countries tax revenue. Forget the post office and the office of the interior or even the army. Imagine a country that can't do anything except pay its debt interest. That is where the US is headed and soon. At the rate of over a trillion dollars in new debt a year we enter a debt death spiral within the next 20 years.

Cheliax

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Tales Subscriber

Unfortunately, nationally in the U.S. we could cut 100% of the "discretionary" portion of the budget and we would still run a deficit, the national debt would still increse and we would only slow down our wild ride to insolvency. This is the dirly secret that neither party wants to talk about. We are like a person that contiunes to pay for everything with a credit card eventhough he can see that if he spends just a little more he won't even be able to afford the minimum monthly payments.

In order for us to do anything real to solve our problem, we need to take on the entitlements and debt (interest payments) which now comprise over 60% of our budget each year.

The US is bringing in record levels of tax revenue, more than we ever have in the history of the country...more than any other country in the history of the world. We have plenty of money to spend, we need to figure out how to live within our means. We are like the richest person in the world complaining that he can't pay his bills because he can't stop spending.

It appears that our current crop of politicians would rather watch the country crash and burn and then try to blame someone else than tackle the tough problems we face and face the scorn of an angry and uninformed electorate.

I worry for our children's future. Their lives will be much harder than ours.

Cheliax

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Tales Subscriber

A German; a Frenchman; An American and a Mexican are on a plane. The plane has engine trouble and will crash unless the weight is lessened. After throwing everything out it is still too heavy. There are no parachutes. The Frenchman offers to jump to his death to save the others. As he goes he shouts "Viva la Franch!" The plane is still to heavy so the German volunteers to jump. "For the Fatherland!". The plane is still to heavy and the Mexican and American look at each other. The American looks toward the door and then shoves the Mexican out shouting "Remember the Alamo!" The American was from Texas.

alternative ending ...

The plane is still too heavy. The Mexican and American look at each other. They then go to the cockpit, grab the Canadian pilot and throw him out.

Cheliax

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Tales Subscriber

You know what I love most about practically every poster on this thread and every other political thread like it ...

The basic premise is ...

That it is ok for "you" to have a different belief from "them" but it is not ok for "them" to have a different belief from "you"...

because after all "you" are right but "they" are wrong ...

Cheliax

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Tales Subscriber

This is really an argument that just cannot be won. At best you can say the reason weapons, abilities, feats, etc. are different is because that is the way it is. That is D&D or Pathfinder or whatever. Otherwise you have a really boring system that looks something like this.

Dagger 1d6
longsword 1d6
spear 1d6
halberd 1d6
long bow 1d6
cross bow 1d6

fireball d6 per level
magic missile d6 per level
cone of cold d6 per level
disintegrate d6 per level

weapon focus +1 something
cleave +1 something
power attack +1 somethig

etc, etc, etc.

If all options are the same then there really are no options. Just different fluff for the same thing. That is why the answer to this post is "that is just the way the game is." Pathfinder is the inheritor of a pseudo realistic system that attempted to model medieval weapons and tactics. Some weapons are better than others that is why they do different amounts of damage...and there are some trade offs that make things like daggers not totally useless. That is the way the game is.

Cheliax

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Tales Subscriber

Perhaps if this was a wrongdoer per day instead. PC's tend to rack up a lot of kills. I could easily see such a cleric putting a bunch of kills in the bank as it were and being good for a week or so at a time. That would definitely play a little more conveniently.

Cheliax

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Tales Subscriber

Most people play fantasy games as an escape, form of catharsis or just plain fantasy! In a game you can do things you never could in real life and in some cases never would. One of these things for many is dealing with evil decisively. We live in a world of moral ambiguity, a world where we watch criminals escape punishment because of technicalities and law abiders often feel punished for the fact that they follow the rules.

In fantasy we can deal directly with evil in a way we perhaps wish society would deal with evil in the real world. No courts, lengthy appeals, whining or indecision. In a game you put down evil and feel good about it and that is how the game was designed.

Sure if you want to play morally ambiguous with neutral monsters and "good" goblins or you want to try to create civil rights for anti-paladins...go for it. But I don't think that is why most people play.

Cheliax

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Tales Subscriber

As long as you are moving along or near the ground the disks stay within 5 ft. of you unless directed otherwise. If you move out of range by say flying or falling it winks out of existence. My understanding is that most of the confusing language was put in to prevent people from riding their own disk or using the disks to cross pits, etc. As long as you are just moving on the ground the disk stays with you or near you per direction.

Cheliax

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Tales Subscriber

It really does depend on the GM. I have seen GM's basically ask for a stealth check and then assume everything is rolled into the check assuming the character knows how to be stealthy.

Other times GM's specifically ask what you are doing and make judgment calls old school style. I think the problem here is the variability. This is not, however, limited to Stealth. Some GM's make you play out Diplomacy in the same way rather than simply saying role the dice.

Cheliax

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Tales Subscriber
TriOmegaZero wrote:
Full plate fighters can do that too.

Really? At any level? Or are you assuming something? :).

I also did not realize you can wear heavy armor and light armor at the same time? Although I might have seen a thread about armor coats and diff magical effects somewhere.

Cheliax

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Tales Subscriber
Cranefist wrote:

If you are in any kind of sandbox, you can walk away from anything you can't kill, unless you made some dumpy speed 20' character with no initiative and no magic. Then you deserve to die. Adventuring isn't like guarding a doorway. You shouldn't use the guarding a doorway build for someone who may have to and who will be allowed to run.

This! This! and This! I never saw the purpose of the skirmisher/swashbuckler/fencer as being to out damage the guy in full plate with a greataxe. The purpose of the light fighter was to have a fighter with a broader range of usefullness.

"what there is a narrow log we have to walk across to get over there. My fighter can't do that!" or "What we have to be on the deck of a ship in a storm...I don't have any ranks in balance!" vs. "My swashbuckler tumbles across the deck of the ship swings on a rope and attacks the enemy!" or

"That guy keeps running away...I only have a 20 ft. move!" vs. "I can charge to cut him off in my light armor!"

Cheliax

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Tales Subscriber
Jiggy wrote:
Pyrrhic Victory wrote:
...ask the GM is this a group that should play at level or up
Just a note, there is never a choice between playing at-level or playing up. The only time you can choose to play up is if you're between subtiers, which by definition means there's no option to play at-level.

Fine play easy or hard. And Yes I hope your GM at least knows enough to help with this decision. If not you have bigger problems than this.

Cheliax

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Tales Subscriber
KestlerGunner wrote:

I don't want to see Permanency in PFS.

As you allude to, if Permanency were to become legal it would invalidate a large number of permanent character building choices, such as seen with the linguistics skill or choosing a race with Darkvision.

How does being able to do something at 9th or 10th level invalidate something chosen at character creation. All characters can do things at 9th level that they can't do at 1st level. Being a half-orc means you have darkvision for 8 levels more than the wizard with permanency. That is 66% of your PFS life. Do you really think no one will play a race with darkvision because you can be a wizard and use permanency at 9th level? Does being a fighter invalidate being a Tengu? Why bother with a Tengu, all fighters can use swords at first level (don't even wait until 9th)! The fighter class makes Tengu useless! Obviously, I am being silly but I don't see the problem with permanency. As with most things, I think there are trade offs. Vulnerability to Dispel Magic is one of them.

Cheliax

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Tales Subscriber

This is one of those things that is really difficult to quantify into a system that is streamlined enough to be useful but really easy just for players and GM's to use common sense. Look at who is playing, ask the GM is this a group that should play at level or up, etc. GM should be able to give guidance. Over with in 1 min. If you try to codify something like this it will be a nightmare. I know that is hard to accept for some Pathfinder/3.5 players because this system is based on a rule for everything. However, some old school common sense can solve this issue.

Cheliax

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Tales Subscriber

Phil and Dixi present "Sex and Pathfinder!" Feat trees, traits and skills plus the dominatrix bard archetype. Now you can optimize "adult relations" in your adult themed campaigns. Followed by the Gen Con release of a 64 page adventure based around a chelaxian dominatrix run underworld beneath magnimar.

Cheliax

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Tales Subscriber

Is this assuming a character with 1 attack? Because I thought you could throw as many weapons as you have attacks without penalty. Two weapon fighting and rapid shot just add to the base number of attacks.

Cheliax

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Tales Subscriber
Son of the Veterinarian wrote:

142. You can argue passionately and logically on one side or the other of the debate regarding the question of guns in Golarion, referencing personal experiences, arguments by past commentators, and the opinions of the very creators of fantasy RPGs themselves, but if someone were to ask you about the effects of District of Columbia v. Heller on the Second Amendment it would draw, at best, a blank stare.

One of the few good things to recently come out of DC...Darn did I just ruin my Pathfinder cred.

I also often wonder what everyday objects hardness would be if that helps.

Cheliax

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Tales Subscriber
Evil Lincoln wrote:

It is intentionally backhanded.

I think a lot of people forget that for some, the appeal of the fighter is its non-wizardness. Not just avoidance of magic, but avoidance of bookish planning and daily variables.

But if I were to "fix" the fighter in the ways so often requested, I can say with 100% certainty that I would frustrate and disappoint one of my players who just loves fighters.

I agree in fact I think part of the edition war for some old schoolers like myself was some new editions attempts to make all classes feel kind of like people with superpowers. If a fighter has magic powers, heck if everyone has magic-like powers, it feels less like D&D. At least for me.

Cheliax

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Tales Subscriber
Rynjin wrote:

Full casters in general have a tendency to kick anyone without some form of casting in the teeth while they're down at higher levels.

But that's an issue with the system as a whole. Which won't be changing soon (read: ever). Because "caster/martial disparity is a myth propagated by people with agendas". Pff.

I have to say that in every 3.5/pathfinder campaign I have played in the most kickas../dominating character has always been an optimized fighter type usually with some levels of rogue or on the arcane archer path. Wizards are awesome but it is always a "fighter type" done 150 points of damage a round that makes things difficult on the GM especially on BBG's in my experience.

Cheliax

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Tales Subscriber

I think of Aldern kind of like Jack in the Shining. He is insane...and also an addict. Sometimes he can act normally. He can even deceive himself into thinking he is normal for short periods of time. But more and more he is losing it.

or

You could think of him as a wiley serial killer. He has two personalities. The weak normal Aldern that hides from danger is just a front to cover up the killer underneath.

I personally go for the insane spit personality with the killer personality taking more and more control.

Cheliax

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Tales Subscriber
EldonG wrote:
Sex in the game for most folks does seem to be the fairly taboo thing. I've run a couple of games with more of an open policy than usual, but those are particular circumstances. Most games I run have little to none at all...for pretty good reason. It's a rare group that's that comfortable with it.

I think the real issue is that there just aren't enough rules/crunch in this area. I mean its hard to have a really heartfelt RAI vs. RAW discussion when there are not rules about sex. If we had a feat tree or maybe some traits. Rally, if we knew what ability score was involved we could at least optimize...obviously when talking about sex RAW would be better that RAI.

Cheliax

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Tales Subscriber

Lost Caverns of Tsogica..something or other. I never could pronounce it. It was great because of 1)lots of cool new monsters like the Formorian Giant. 2)different encounter ideas like a creature with slippers of spider climb in a spherical room (I'm being vague for spoiler purposes 3) awesome artifacts 4) new spells 5) info on magic circles, summoning demons, etc. 5) history involving Iconic NPCs. Getting that module was like getting a new rule book for summoners.

I know they are not for everyone but I have always been a fan of the super dungeon. Greyhawk, Undermountain, Rappan Athuk, etc. I just loved the idea of the Yawning Portal, a bar built around an entrance to an underground death maze. Different ecosystems at different levels all held together by an ancient wizard, demi-god, evil cult, etc. They are big enough that they can be whatever you want or need. They are so big and powerful that they become more like a natural feature of the game world than an obsticle to be overcome in an adventure or two.

Cheliax

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Tales Subscriber
Terquem wrote:
Funky Badger wrote:
Why do so many people put up with dreadful players/GMs?
"Cause I got nowhere else to go," - some cadet, somewhere.

That is from the fine movie "Officer and a Gentleman" one of Richard Gere's finest.

Cheliax

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Tales Subscriber
Mahtobedis wrote:

But would pathfinder society be slimy enough to be a slime mold?

Maybe PFS is just an elder clay elemental.

Clay actually isn't as soft as you would think. Ever been hit with a bag of clay?...Not soft!

Perhaps a feather golem. Soft and potentially deadly...To people with allergies.

Cheliax

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Tales Subscriber

I have not read all 400+ posts so just call this a +1 if someone has already suggested this. Perhaps we just need a rating system of some kind. I remember past "living" campaigns (arcanis comes to mind) gave a general type to some mods. For example "this is a combat heavy dungeon crawl" or this mod "focuses on diplomacy and problem solving". That gave you a general idea of what to expect and helped you decide what to play. Want combat do for the dungeon crawl and be prepared! Not really a combat optimized character? Go for the mystery solving!

Something like this could help players be prepared and less surprised when super optimized combat BBG jumps them.

Cheliax

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Tales Subscriber

Evil is essentially selfish. Evil gods seem much more eager to grant power. Selfish power hungry types have a lot to gain from aligning themselves with evil gods.

This is not necessarily true in game terms in a game like Pathfinder where good deities dole out power as well but from a literary/historic perspective the allure of evil is that it often provides a seeming easier or faster path to power. God does not grant magic but the devil does, that sort of thing. Just ask Yoda.

Cheliax

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Tales Subscriber

I mean really efreti should be banned in public places because they are smoking all of the time.

Cheliax

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Tales Subscriber

Oh and everyone around them...with the second hand smoke.

Cheliax

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Tales Subscriber
Vamptastic wrote:
Yeah, pretty basic question. I'm making a rather Tom Waits-esque character in that he practically lives in bars, and I just wondered if they smoke. Do they have tobacco? Are there cigarettes? Cigars? Do they have to roll them themselves, or are they pre-made by stores? Are there pipes? I know there's drinking, but can my character also look cool in addition?

This is to assume that by looking cool you mean looking like someone too stupid or addicted to know they are literally killing themselves.

Cheliax

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Tales Subscriber

Brian, I'm not saying you are wrong we are simply talking about two different things. You are talking about fairness and value. I am not. I am talking about how times change. 50 years ago we rented phones from the phone company. Even more recently TV used to be free over the air like radio. Now practically everyone pays for what used to be "free". Some people even pay for radio, something that I don't understand but could be normal in the future. The electronic frontier presents new challenges. If a publisher chooses to limit its product or charge the same as a physical book, the publisher is not "wrong", it is simply making a choice. It remains to be seen which choice will work best. Cheap and easy to pass around or expensive and easy to pass around or expensive and hard to pass around...etc. In 10 years one of these models will have been most successful and that will be that. That is all I am trying to say.

Cheliax

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Tales Subscriber

In a certain sense e-books are just a product like any other. The price is set by what people will pay. Soda costs 1 cent or something to make but sells for $2 at fast food places. Everyone is fine with that. A better example because it involves and evolved product would be automobiles. 30 years ago they were made of steel and put together by people. Now they are made of plastic and put together by robots. Yet cars cost roughly the same. The only reason this is even an issue is because we have people today that grew up with physical books and now see e-books and have trouble understanding how something that lacks physicality can cost the same as a physical object. Our kids won't even think twice about this.

In another sense, e-books should cost more than actual books as there is a much higher risk to publishers that the books will be passed around for free. One person with a pdf could spread it around to thousands (heck an unlimited amount) of people through the internet. That just isn't a problem with physical books.

Cheliax

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Tales Subscriber
mplindustries wrote:
RadiantSophia wrote:
Women were virtually slaves.

This is actually a very common misconception. Common women and common men actually ended up just about equals. Both had to work to feed the family--there was no "men's work" vs. "women's work," everyone did everything. Yes, life totally sucked and all, but it was an equal sucking.

It was the upper class that could afford to oppress their women. They did not need to produce anything to survive, so they didn't have the same pressing necessity to share roles. Obviously, it is this upper class that we know the most about since they left the most behind, thus leading to the common "women were treated terribly" thing.

And just a side note--the cultures most oppressive to women in history (the Greeks, feudal Japan, etc.) have been pagan and gay. Do not take this to mean, "oh man, gay/pagan people hate women!" because that's ridiculous--I only mean to point out that it is just about the polar opposite of Christianity that were worst to females.

If you are encouraged to find true love in the soldier bunk next to yours, and your deity walked the Earth raping chicks in the shape of various animals (and weather?!) rather than elevating women, teaching equality, and even specifically saying, "hey, treat women better," it's a lot easier to hate women and consider them useless for everything except a baby factory.

I'm sure other people have replied to this already but I will briefly say that you have taken a very little information and come to horrible generalized conclusions. Yes, greeks lived in a pre-christian society and followed completely different social norms. Yes, women in greek society were generally relegated to home-making. No this does not make ancient greeks homosexual women haters who oppressed women. Greece followed the same traditions regarding sex roles as most of the near east at the time. Women were a valued part of society if not generally equal to men.(You might as well same the same thing about almost every society in the history of the world until 40 years ago) Greek literature and myth is filled with powerful female role models. One of the biggest mistakes you can make is to judge ancient peoples by today's standards. Medieval settings and ancient settings both make perfectly good settings for play even if we follow history closely. But guess what, we don't have to. This is fantasy gaming afterall.

Cheliax

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Tales Subscriber

Diplomacy bonus but only when interacting with women and children. "Ohh! Its so cute!"

Cheliax

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Tales Subscriber

"I'm invisible...no way it will see me!"

"Stay back...I'll handle this!"

"Am I wearing gloves? No, why are you asking?"

"I cast fireball...wait how big is the room again?"

"No I don't have a mirror! No one brings stupid mirrors on adventures! What am I a tween girl!"

"I sneak up behind the beholder!"

Cheliax

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Tales Subscriber
Calybos1 wrote:
Kolokotroni wrote:
It really is sad how few christians remember that the whole point is to try to be Christ-like. And whether or not He would pick up some dice and roll up a wizard, I dont know, but I am skeptical about him having a problem with some friends sitting down to play a game together and tell storeis.

Jesus would definitely roll a halfling rogue.

Na...Tinker Gnome, he was a carpenter after all.

Cheliax

3 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Tales Subscriber

Put on your big boy pants! But seriously spell rationing is part of the game. Hint the should go old school of necessary and baracade the,selves in a room or retreat and come back later or utilize rope trick. You don't have to complete adventures all in one go.

Edit: durn iPhone keyboard grumble grumble

Cheliax

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Tales Subscriber

As long as he does not say "Pathfinder" its ok. :)

Cheliax

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Tales Subscriber
Grand Magus wrote:

.

Chief executives of the nation's largest companies earned an average of
$12.3 million in total pay last year -- 354 times more than a typical
American worker, according to the AFL-CIO.

The average worker made $34,645 last year, according to the group that
represents over 50 trade unions.

.

And they are running a company that emplyoys thousands or 10s of thousands of avg workers so they are in fact under paid. Stop the class warfare rhetoric! Without the "evil" corporations with their "overpaid" CEOs the avg worker doesn't have a job.

No one complains about athletes or movie stars and they contribute nothing to our society but entertainment not to mention our politicians that are actually a net negative. Without businesses there are no jobs as the unions at Hostess found out earlier this year. Now those workers make $0.

Cheliax

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Tales Subscriber

Loki

don't have anything in front of me but you could go to the old deities and demi-gods for lots of ideas.

1 to 50 of 347 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | next > last >>

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.