|1 person marked this as a favorite.|
Inspired by reading of a certain game that has the initials "DW" and it's "you succeed but there are consequences", I sat down to drink bourbon and consider the ramifications for PF. I passed out and hit my head on the keyboard, and when I'd woken, my forehead had typed this:
- Raise a Level - Attribute Check - You were right all along! You knew it! That thing your mentor told you about now clicks in your head! You have an insight! Eureka! - Go up one level. Relevant XP necessary. 3 days training. Required for gaining level 10 or higher.
- Training montage - Attribute Check - spend your time studying your magic, defenses and attacks. +2 "going forward" (meaning +2 to spend on your next Skill Check or Attack Roll). 3 days training minimum.
- Build Reputation - Diplomacy Skill Check - Do small local quests and jobs to build a reputation with the locals. Gain a +2 on all Social Checks on your next visit to the city. 3 days minimum.
- Gather Intelligence - Stealth or Diplomacy Skill Check - Watch or interact with local officials and important persons to gain a +4 on your next Knowledge Skill Check relating to local events. Gain a +2 on a Social Skill Check while interacting with locals. 3 days minimum.
- Earn A Living - Craft, Knowledge or Perform Skill Check - You can earn half your profession checks roll in gold per week of work.
- Drinking and Whoring - Diplomacy or Intimidation Skill Check - You uphold your reputation as an adventurer by spending money in the way everyone else wishes they could. Gain +2 on all Social Skill Checks on your next visit to the city.
- Gambling - Diplomacy or Bluff Skill Check - Gain a +3 on all Social Skill Checks on your next visit to that particular establishment, and +1 on all Social Skill Checks in that part of town. Cost = 300gp. To earn money through gambling, see "Earn a Living" as Profession: Gambler.
- Vigilantism - Stealth or Performance or Intimidation Skill Check - Build a reputation and an identity as a masked crusader for justice! (It's the latest thing). +5 to Fame for each week spent crusading.
How Skill Checks work in Downtime:
A Downtime Skill Check is a single roll of a d20 + relevant skill modifier.
- Meet or exceed target number - Success! There may be additional benefits or opportunities that arise from a skillful and competent use of your time.
- Miss by less than five - Success, although there may be some repercussions. It shouldn't be anything you can't handle.
- Miss by five or more - Failure, although there may be opportunities arise in lessons learned.
- Roll lower than your character level - Failure! Although you may earn XP from your brave endeavor.
A Downtime Attribute Check is a single roll of a d20 + relevant attribute bonus.
- Natural 20 - Success! Gain a +2 bonus going forward
- Meet or exceed target number - Success! There may be additional benefits or opportunities that arise from your training.
- Miss by five or less - Success, although there may be consequences that arise from your training.
- Miss by five or more - Failure, although opportunities may arise in lessons learned.
- Natural 1 - Failure! Although you may earn XP from your hard work and study.