Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
About Paizo Messageboards News Paizo Blog Help/FAQ
Kargstaad

Notmyrealname's page

Goblin Squad Member. 246 posts. No reviews. No lists. No wishlists.


RSS

1 to 50 of 246 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | next > last >>
Goblin Squad Member

AvenaOats wrote:
Should be working. Did it welcome you with a "please change your pword" banner message upon logging in?

No the banner was missing and it showed up a day later so it worked then. For some reason just going into my account and trying to change it without that banner being there didn't work.

Goblin Squad Member

Did anyone have trouble changing their password? Nothing happens when I click the Change Password button.

Goblin Squad Member

Isn't a magical Return To Bind Point button pretty standard in mmos? But we don't know anything about magical fast travel in PFO yet.

Goblin Squad Member

Bluddwolf wrote:
Notmyrealname wrote:
@ Proxima Sin , So you are asking do people want to try to help others that seem hard to help or kill, kill , kill them. I think wanting to help them to be 'beneficial participants of the community' fits right in with what Ryan has been saying about how to change the toxic perception of PVP mmos. It isn't just kill them or help them but some of both that will change things. It will take time for some people to adjust to a new kind of PVP gameplay that isn't a FFA but allows you to kill anyone anyway. People are going to experiment with the game systems.
We can always help people to learn how to kill people. Win Win!

I meant beat them into submission and then put them on the black budget payroll. 'Help them' sounds better.

Goblin Squad Member

1 person marked this as a favorite.

@ Proxima Sin , So you are asking do people want to try to help others that seem hard to help or kill, kill , kill them. I think wanting to help them to be 'beneficial participants of the community' fits right in with what Ryan has been saying about how to change the toxic perception of PVP mmos. It isn't just kill them or help them but some of both that will change things. It will take time for some people to adjust to a new kind of PVP gameplay that isn't a FFA but allows you to kill anyone anyway. People are going to experiment with the game systems.

Goblin Squad Member

Bringslite wrote:
Notmyrealname wrote:
Proxima Sin wrote:
Notmyrealname wrote:
I thought we were talking about people flagged as hostile to everyone because of griefer activity and they also have low rep. If there are low rep characters that aren't flagged hostile that is two different things.

Hostile and low rep is the derailment from the NRDS thread.

This thread is about low rep. Just low Reputation score, how they got there, if we want to try/how we can get them to want to be a more positive effect on PO.

Ok I get it now , it is about how low rep can become useful instead of just the bottom of the barrel scum who need to be murdered because it wont cost much rep to murder a murderer. Some people will end up low rep but they need to find a role that is at times positive for the community, assuming that they aren't going to give up being low rep. Ryan mentioned the need for a low rep type goon squad to defend your settlement in ways that high rep wont be able to. So organizing them into merc companies as a tool for settlement conflict would keep them from being random jerks doing who knows what. We could use low rep mercs to counter other low rep mercs , keeping them busy so they aren't off doing stuff that chases off newbs. So I am saying hire them and put them to work where you need some muscle.
If that were to become common practice, I wonder if trading with low rep characters will still be an issue and what affect it would have. Or has that been abandoned as a discouragement?

I think they will all need their own run down low rep settlement to go buy rusty swords and moldy armor.

Goblin Squad Member

DeciusBrutus wrote:

"Sin eater" characters who take all of the Rep hits so that other characters don't have to occupy an interesting space on the very edge of exploitative behavior.

But a 'brute squad' that hires itself out and simply accepts the consequences of being low reputation is in a different category than an in-house squad that uses metagame behavior to completely avoid the consequences of low Reputation (because they only ever interact with targets or their own main).

My thinking is that the low rep characters wont be going away and there might be a lot of them so using them to fight as merc companies would make them a positive thing in the settlement conflict aspect of the game.

Goblin Squad Member

Proxima Sin wrote:
Notmyrealname wrote:
I thought we were talking about people flagged as hostile to everyone because of griefer activity and they also have low rep. If there are low rep characters that aren't flagged hostile that is two different things.

Hostile and low rep is the derailment from the NRDS thread.

This thread is about low rep. Just low Reputation score, how they got there, if we want to try/how we can get them to want to be a more positive effect on PO.

Ok I get it now , it is about how low rep can become useful instead of just the bottom of the barrel scum who need to be murdered because it wont cost much rep to murder a murderer. Some people will end up low rep but they need to find a role that is at times positive for the community, assuming that they aren't going to give up being low rep. Ryan mentioned the need for a low rep type goon squad to defend your settlement in ways that high rep wont be able to. So organizing them into merc companies as a tool for settlement conflict would keep them from being random jerks doing who knows what. We could use low rep mercs to counter other low rep mercs , keeping them busy so they aren't off doing stuff that chases off newbs. So I am saying hire them and put them to work where you need some muscle.

Goblin Squad Member

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Steelwing wrote:
Notmyrealname wrote:
Steelwing wrote:
Notmyrealname wrote:
I thought we were talking about people flagged as hostile to everyone because of griefer activity and they also have low rep. If there are low rep characters that aren't flagged hostile that is two different things.
My comment was admittedly a mild divergence from the topic at hand but not totally unrelated I feel
So if you can get hired as a merc because you are low rep and kill players that go where someone doesn't want them to it is different than griefing, it's all about the why and not the what. That would be one way to help griefers to be more useful to the community, turn them into a mercenary company.
But all people with low rep got there by being jerks. Did you not receive the memo?

They are only a jerk or griefer if they waste their talent for doing dirty deeds on selfish pleasure, they can fit in with expected and sanctioned gameplay with minimal change required , join the evil military. They can play the goon squad and kill people and the righteous can find them all in one place to smite them more easily.

So I would say forming merc companies of low rep characters is what the OP could be looking for, seriously.

Goblin Squad Member

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Steelwing wrote:
Notmyrealname wrote:
I thought we were talking about people flagged as hostile to everyone because of griefer activity and they also have low rep. If there are low rep characters that aren't flagged hostile that is two different things.
My comment was admittedly a mild divergence from the topic at hand but not totally unrelated I feel

So if you can get hired as a merc because you are low rep and kill players that go where someone doesn't want them to it is different than griefing, it's all about the why and not the what. That would be one way to help griefers to be more useful to the community, turn them into a mercenary company.

Goblin Squad Member

1 person marked this as a favorite.

I thought we were talking about people flagged as hostile to everyone because of griefer activity and they also have low rep. If there are low rep characters that aren't flagged hostile that is two different things.

Goblin Squad Member

4 people marked this as a favorite.

I think we can all agree that the first thing to do to change a griefer is to stop them from griefing. If they are content with what happens to them if they grief then they wont stop, so killing them a lot will help them, maybe. If they never wanted to play the game as intended then they will quit, if they are interested in non-griefing gameplay then some one can help them get involved . But it all starts after they give up griefing behavior, so getting killed a lot is what they seem to think ruins the game , that is why they do it to others, when it happens to them they will be ready for something different.

Goblin Squad Member

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Drakhan Valane wrote:
Ah, but Proxima is arguing that we don't KNOW that he was newbie hunting. What if he's guilty of a hundred other heinous crimes instead?

Ahh , well then we need a game mechanic that puts a 'joker' maniacal grin on newb killers so we will know what they did.

Goblin Squad Member

Never do anything that you can't get away with.

Goblin Squad Member

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Don't kill characters that are flagged as hostile(because of low rep)? Who we gonna kill then, some other player who is flagged hostile, I don't get it. Do you feel sorry for the griefers who become game content, like a goblin that we see.

Goblin Squad Member

That was a good interview . I would have liked to hear more on what can't be used from the Pathfinder IP in an mmo , because of how the law is written I believe was the reason.

Goblin Squad Member

Pax Shane Gifford wrote:

Could you go into more detail about what you mean by "an evolving world lore"?

:)

When I think of what lore is , it is the history ,background ,setting and sets the stories beginning .It tells you who am I and why am I here. So it is like the mmo gameplay takes place next after the lore's foundation. But in a sandbox that doesn't work well because a year or two later it ignores all that has gone on in the game world . So a way to keep a record of what happens over time could be done in such a way that it is like reading about the 'newest' lore of world, but its all now based on what characters have been doing. So it is like PFO Year 1 lore and history, if it is written to look and feel that way.

Goblin Squad Member

Steelwing wrote:

As it is slightly on topic to what notmyrealname is talking about here is what eve radio did as a write up for the most recent null sec spat.

minor tiff in null sec

See if that is the sort of thing you are after notmyrealname

And they sell T shirts too! My ideas were pretty vague until Shane mentioned a newspaper, what EVE radio is doing seems like a great addition to PFO. Something that is about what players are doing and have done and how the world is changing.It's the kind of stuff you want to know but don't want to take up all your game time talking about instead of playing the game.

Goblin Squad Member

A newspaper sounds like an interesting way to do what I was thinking of. You could cover what has gone on recently and do other things like you say. It could be fun and useful done that way, do you think GW would let there be in-game newspapers to inform and entertain?

Goblin Squad Member

Putting history in a blog would work but I was also dreaming about having an evolving world lore that is updated based on what the players have done to the world. I'll put it on my wish list.

Goblin Squad Member

1 person marked this as a favorite.

In an mmo you have to make up your own story to go with what happens, but what if there were official player-storytellers who gave us a kind of history and background flavor to what goes on in the game. Something you can read and it makes the mmo feel like a Pathfinder campaign, it would all be after the fact but would make the world have a recorded history that sounds like a Pathfinder story. Some kind of recorded history of the world would be cool to look back at after a year or two. It could also keep us up to speed on what's going on around the game world.

Goblin Squad Member

So if you buy a month then all your alts are subscribed and can log in but only one of them receives xp at a time? If you don't buy a month then nobody can log in?

Goblin Squad Member

Kelpie wrote:
I've been following SotA development. Portalarium have just had to start a damage limitation exercise and give Kickstarter backers some new benefits because their forum community challenged them over perceived backtracking on statements made during the kickstarter campaign, etc.

Do you have a link for that?

Goblin Squad Member

Ryan Dancey wrote:

The problem I see is that even if alignment and rep is in the game on day one of Early Enrollment, it may be irrelevant. The only way to train skills will be to access trainers at the NPC settlements which will have to be open to all characters because there won't be enough diversity in the initial terrain to have lots of them. There won't be much to do against the environment besides kill groups of monsters which don't offer much threat. So the most interesting thing to do will be to fight other characters, and I expect that to happen quite a bit.

The challenge is that the message that sends to everyone is that the game is just a PvP free for all with zero consequences. If that becomes the accepted norm, the game will fossilize around those assumptions and we'll never be able to change them. Having alignment and rep doesn't mean anything if there are no consequences attached to changes in them.

Therefore I think that we may need to impose some external forces on the game environment to rationalize the PvP until enough other features have been deployed to give alignment and rep meaningful consequences.

Well a PVP free for all with no rep mechanic would be a horrible way to start out that's for sure. I'm guessing that we will either flag ourselves for PVP or have factions that flag you as hostile to another faction, that's fine with me until the game is ready for rep to be added. A no pvp NPC starter area combined with a good reason to join a faction at war could be interesting for a couple months, much better than just kill anyone who is flagged for pvp. We sure don't want PFO to start out being the opposite of what it was sold as, so it is better to go too far in the direction of limiting who can pvp and where until the game is ready for the needed systems.

Goblin Squad Member

So what is wrong with having POI's be the social hubs and trading centers for people from different settlements. It's not like having everyone come to your settlement is the only way to play a more friendly game. Each settlement could sponsor a social and trade POI nearby for non-members. Having an open door to your settlement seems like a real bad idea.

Goblin Squad Member

Do you think having role playing chat display in a different color helps or hurts. It seems like it might be one of those ideas that are good short term but might have a negative long term effect, only hard core role players will join in and new people wont try it.

Goblin Squad Member

I really like how the game looks ,looking forward to day 1 of EE with a nice level of excitement.

Goblin Squad Member

Pax Charlie George wrote:
Notmyrealname wrote:
So does Pax judge all other players by the standard you set for yourselves? I mean if you agree to not do these things and call them griefing if you did it , do you officially consider non-members who do those things to be griefers? So you would all be agreeing on who is a griefer in the game by your rules.

Yes, we both define and hold to that definition. This is explained a little in this excerpt from 6.5:

Pax will not ally or go to war with any guild who does not agree to our rules of engagement

We also as an official community wide stance don't argue over semantics when it comes to griefing:

As a no-drama guild our policy is to avoid griefing players (or get back at them with superior numbers and firepower), than to complain and engage with them in any argument about fair-play

So if a Pax member is being griefed then all members would help then out if they need help, what about non-members that you see being griefed does PAX help them or 'maybe' help them or its none of your affair?

Goblin Squad Member

Pax Charlie George wrote:

For clarity only:

The only thing Pax has said officially on this matter is that we adhere to the rules in a EULA or developer mandates. This is not an opinion of one person or a majority. It is written in our charter:. Here are the relevant articles:

6.5 RULES OF ENGAGEMENT (ROE): Players have a right to be free from griefing. While most online games are about war, the Pax Gaming Community is against the griefing of other players. In addition to the harassment and verbal abuse rules, Pax members will conduct themselves with the utmost honor in all aspects of the game related to PVP combat. This includes the ban on the initiation of combat on zoning or link-dead opponents as shown in the practice of corpse camping, graveyard camping, or the like. PVP combat between different levels (i.e. higher level player attacking a lower level player) or different numbers (i.e. 10 players attacking 3 players) is considered standard PVP tactics that regularly occur within the rules of fair-play. Pax will not ally or go to war with any guild who does not agree to our rules of engagement. As a no-drama guild our policy is to avoid griefing players (or get back at them with superior numbers and firepower), than to complain and engage with them in any argument about fair-play. Therefore, in certain situations turn-about is fair play when that is the predominant tactic being used by the opposition, but generally such activities are not the rule.

6.11 END USER LICENSE AGREEMENT: Most gaming companies have a clear end user license agreement (EULA) that every player signs when they begin playing a game. Pax vows not to use known bugs, exploits (as compared to game features), botting (as compared to creative macroing) or any other manner of cheating to our benefit. Any member who employs exploits as a part of their gaming strategy and is unwilling to follow the terms of a EULA will be expelled from the Community and their activities will be reported to the proper gaming company.

Crossing the line into what...

So does Pax judge all other players by the standard you set for yourselves? I mean if you agree to not do these things and call them griefing if you did it , do you officially consider non-members who do those things to be griefers? So you would all be agreeing on who is a griefer in the game by your rules.

Goblin Squad Member

3 people marked this as a favorite.

Well its a good thing we have so many role-players , they can lead us in doing something that only requires imagination to work.

Goblin Squad Member

Based on what we know I doubt a settlement that makes a law that all trespassing flags you as hostile will be a good option. The more laws broken the higher your unrest will become , if high unrest is too painful they wont make laws that keep being broken and they cant stop it. You could go to any settlement with a closed border step across the line, breaking a law , and then leave and if enough people do that the unrest will rise to max pretty soon. It would be self defeating to try to close your borders , just like in real life where that type of thing causes huge problems for the country that tries it.

Lots of laws might be needed to tell players what they cant do in your land but that runs the risk of unrest too if you cant stop it, I don't see how a closed border law will work ,due to unrest , if other settlements can easily drive up your unrest by breaking the trespassing law . Of course it all depends on how bad high unrest hurts. It would be easy to send large numbers of players to step over the line and run away so they don't get caught and wreck the unrest level.

Realistically a police state with a closed border should have high unrest, The people of The River Kingdoms being freedom lovers.

http://pathfinder.wikia.com/wiki/River_Freedoms

Walk Any Road, Float Any River

Goblin Squad Member

Arguing about arguing... must be a slow day.

Goblin Squad Member

Elynor wrote:

As far as I know, there will only be one shard of pathfinder online, a single world/server. We think this permadeath mode would make it worth it to create a more hardcore one as an option.

You are asking for another server for hardcore mode, that's not going to happen. There will be one server ,nothing will change the plan on that for the near future. The concept is one world that all players are a part of ,EVE never made another server so I would guess there is a real good reason they didn't.

Goblin Squad Member

2 people marked this as a favorite.

PVE is a boring grind because you know what will happen before you engage . You know the mobs hitpoints and its level and its class , the info is all given to you but with less info on the mobs it is different gameplay. What if the mobs have generic names instead of names that tell you their class and no hitpoint number and no con system to tell you the level of the mob. Now its not going to be boring because the risk of death increases.

Maybe there are enough people who are tired of the easy mode PVE gameplay to do it differently.

Goblin Squad Member

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Faith can't be proven wrong ,it is hope for something better ,you can only choose to lose your hopes and dreams and live day to day as a cynic.

Goblin Squad Member

5 people marked this as a favorite.

It would be funny if the goblins could loot your gear and equip it. When you came back the goblin would be wearing your helmet. In EQ NPC's could pick up items and equip them so it might be possible.

Goblin Squad Member

I have to wonder how many bandits will be considered too many by the devs. Maybe make it easy enough for anyone to do it but keep the possible profit small so doing other things will look better to most people.

Goblin Squad Member

If SAD can only take what is in a players backpack that should eliminate its use for things other than playing a bandit. If your packs are empty you can just ignore SAD , its only a threat to making more money that way. You cant just harass people with it if they can leave their packs empty and remove themselves as a target.

Did the devs ever say you can strip a players gear with SAD or has that all been just speculation? If you can it is wide open to abuse. The ability to take what is in backpacks only would fit playing the role of a bandit with a code of honor, instead of a criminal who can get away with it rep free for some unknown reason.

I don't think we want a world where you cant just kill anyone but you can take all of anyones gear and then think it is somehow a better world because there are less corpse runs. It comes out just the same, you lose all your gear and have to retreat to gear up again.

Goblin Squad Member

Join the PFO Assumption Think Tank, PATT me on the back for my latest and greatest idea.

Goblin Squad Member

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Well then we will just have to make all cars crash proof, or give everyone a crashed car to start with, or pave everything and it will be unlikely that you will ever get close to another car. Cars crashing problem solved.

Goblin Squad Member

Pax Shane Gifford wrote:
@Notmyrealname, if the SAD is used by non-bandits, and the intent in using it is not to take someone's goods but to force them into PvP with no rep loss, you don't think SAD will get changed? SAD hasn't been detailed enough to say it can or cannot happen this way (many people think it can).

Force them into PVP by asking for their pants ? That sort of thing could be avoided by limiting the loot to what is carried and excluding what you have equipped. So you could be robbed of stuff that you gathered or are transporting to a market but no one could put you in the position of losing your gear from a SAD, unless you choose to fight.

Most settlements will outlaw SAD in their land so it will make the bandit a criminal to try it close to settlements, so as an exploit to force PVP it wont work for those people who stick close to home. Keep in mind that a player can run if they see someone and SAD wont work long distance so I don't see how bandits(or exploiters) will have it too easy, Merchants will hire escort companies between settlements, I expect escorting to become pretty standard .

The big risk from SAD will be to lose your profit from whatever you are doing outside of settlement territory. The way to counter bandit activity is with your own bandits running them off, if the bandits stay in one spot or with escorts if the bandits are roaming. So you could slot SAD as a skill for the purpose of bandit hunting only, in fact escort companies will need SAD to do their job well, a group of guards out ahead of the merchants can clear the way for them, or follow behind and take back the stuff.

Goblin Squad Member

If SAD ever gets tweaked it will be because it is not doing enough to keep markets local, the competition is needed between localized markets to generate settlement and player conflict. The economy is why SAD works the way it does. The big picture is going to override any 'fairness' concerns about bandits having it too easy. SAD is not broken, when did the devs ask for a fix to what they designed? I know people want to make the game better but you could make it worse changing something that has a major impact on the games economy.

Goblin Squad Member

I don't think anywhere in the game is planned to be a PVP free zone, even NPC cities. The consequences of PVP make it a real bad idea to start anything in them , NPC guards warp in and kill you. So having severe consequences for starting a fight in an Inn would work, that fits the game design as I am seeing it. An Inn should be as safe as an NPC city , you go there to heal not to PVP.

Goblin Squad Member

4 people marked this as a favorite.

Some type of world progression that is a result of player actions. I know the world and gameplay will change as new features get patched in, but it might be fun if some of it needed to be unlocked first. Like an epic battle that needs to be won against mobs to open up a new map area, or research needed to allow new spells into the game, something everyone can contribute to if they want. Even better would be a competition between two or more progression choices based on player actions , it might fit in well with crowdforging new features into the game.

Goblin Squad Member

It sounds like an evil settlement next to good one could cause the unrest in the good settlement without going to war to do it . A good settlement may not be able to use that tactic without the cost in alignment being to high. It will be interesting to see the kind of things you can do as an evil settlement that good settlements cant do, causing unrest in a good settlement sounds like great gameplay.

Goblin Squad Member

Ryan has a theme he keeps returning to because its important. The gaming culture of pvp and how it is perceived. What does football have to do with it? American football is all about the fans and that is why it is played, including the tackling. There is a huge football culture that includes countless things for people to get involved in. The fans want to be a part of the football culture , that is what interests them ,they sure aren't going to tackle anyone.

I think his quote could have been ,'cant see the forest for the trees' ,a forest is not just a bunch of trees. The details of game mechanics wont help PFO overcome the public perception of PVP as toxic ,PFO needs its own game culture that people will see is different.
More players is more income and more game features added as well as a bigger game world , so people trying out the game who have avoided PVP need to see a player culture that is non-toxic.

Goblin Squad Member

Are Drow going to be a character choice some day? And maybe underground settlements to go with it.

Goblin Squad Member

1 person marked this as a favorite.

I would love to hear from the folks at Paizo about how the Pathfinder IP is being used so far to make PFO. Things like how is the Pathfinder world coming alive in PFO and what you like about it, what would you like to see happen in the future?

Before I heard of PFO I knew nothing about Pathfinder but I am liking what I see and have great expectation and hope that the IP will make for a rich game world environment with a very unique feel to it.

I understand some things are hard to put in an mmo and the rest is even harder, but I have seen what I would call 'using' an IP in other mmo's and it seemed more of a marketing tactic than a love for the IP.

Of course any input from GW is welcome too, what kind of things do you actually do to make PFO feel like it is uniquely Pathfinder. My understanding is that Paizo owns the IP that GW is using to make PFO. I'm not sure how involved Paizo is in making the game.

Goblin Squad Member

Do you have a link to what Ryan said?

Goblin Squad Member

3 people marked this as a favorite.
Nihimon wrote:
Frankly, I think I'd be a little put out if folks are getting into Alpha without forking over $1,000 or more...

If GW lets the Alpha level backers pick any new testers to invite that would seem like a good way for your kickstarter reward to keep its value. Oh the power you will have....

1 to 50 of 246 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | next > last >>

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.