Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
About Paizo Messageboards News Paizo Blog Help/FAQ
King of Roses

Mudfoot's page

Goblin Squad Member. RPG Superstar 2013 Star Voter. 539 posts. No reviews. No lists. No wishlists.


RSS

1 to 50 of 539 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

Neros wrote:

[b]Idea

How about Virtue filles the target with confidence and inspiration by the fact that he has recieved the gods blessing. This grants a +1 bonus on the next Proffession check to earn money.

Effectively, that's Guidance with a longer duration but a tighter focus. Just cast Guidance instead; it's still an orison on probably the same spell list, so what you call it doesn't matter.


I would say that it pauses the bleeding; when the virtue wears off, it starts again. So get out the Healing kit in the meantime.

And re Abrir's use of the spell: yes, I'd say that's OK: the subject doesn't take damage from exertion, so bleeding doesn't restart. Just remember to cast it again before he does something else strenuous.


As far as the paladin goes, the problem is simply that paladins (and rangers) don't get orisons. IMHO they should, so IMC they do, and Virtue is one of them.

A 1st level cleric IMC used Virtue quite a bit, but it rapidly became obsolete. Examples included getting rid of the itching from a Goblin Dog (reapply frequently) and buffing the party before wading through a freezing river (which did 1d3 nonlethal).

If you want to upgrade it, you might allow it to apply to 1 character per 3 levels (rounded up), range touch. Still feeble, but not quite so useless as you don't spend so long buffing.


Claxon wrote:
To clarify, Skill Mastery doesn't work on UMD. Skill Mastery allows you to take 10 on skills you wouldn't normally be able to because of stress or distractions. The reason you cannot take 10 on UMD is not because of stress or distractions, but because the ability blatantly says you cannot take 10. It doesn't work.

RAW, I believe this is true. But if you want a rogue to be viable past 10th level, you'd better allow it.


The ISWG (page 153) does now have some standard coin names for Cheliax, Andoran, Katapesh, Absalom and Brevoy. Other than that, it's all just gp and sp and so on, all the same.

I'd expect the more impoverished places like Isger and Galt to debase their currency, whereas Druma or Katapesh coins would be regarded as pretty much pure and accepted everywhere.


Doesn't sound likely, unless you start a few levels ahead. I don't know about JR, but RotRL doesn't have enough NPC casters of any significance. If you want to solo it, you'd probably need a gestalt wizard/cleric or the like, and even then you'll be short on action economy.


It's a bit pointless at very low levels because a) your chance of it working is low unless you pile on the investment and b) you don't have any MDs to U. So I'd save my points and feats until about 5th level, and then go all in. The exact time depends on when you get a useful item to play with and whether another PC is likely to be getting better use out of it.

Low-level rogues are fairly competitive anyway (the BAB disparity hasn't kicked in and the casters don't have many spells yet), so they can afford not to do UMD as well.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
"Dwarves of Golarion, p6 wrote:
Dwarves are a polytheistic society...while most dwarves see Torag as their patron, they still whisper small prayers and make modest sacrifices to other gods when the need arises. Clerics are known to reorient their focus to a different deity when necessary

There are no explicit mechanics for this.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Ravingdork wrote:
Have you even seen what a dinosaur of that size does to a fine pair of shoes in a single day's march? Ears right through them in no time! Pretty much just turns them into garbage.

But...but...dinosaurs don't have ears. And why would they wear boots on their heads?


Plague of Shadows:
Kedretitas is an umbral dragon.


If a merchant buys some Boots of Teleportation and a mammoth loaded up to the gills with stuff, he'd better leave some room for guards too. Otherwise someone is going to take those boots, trade goods and mammoth off him (in that order). One advantage of a cargo ship is that it comes with 2 dozen guards and is a tricky thing to steal. Boots are easier.


Delightful.

The Favoured Terrain bonus should probably also apply to Acrobatics and Climb, to emphasise leaping from tree to tree. It wouldn't hurt to add Knowledge-Nature either. It's not far from being playably balanced.


Ross Byers wrote:
kyrt-ryder wrote:
If you want to give darts a purpose you should probably give them the shuriken treatment: allow them to be drawn as a free action without Quickdraw.
I don't think darts have a purpose. The damage you might do during a game of lawn darts gone wrong isn't really going to come up much. I'm certain the only reason darts are in the game at all was because pre 3.5, halflings and gnomes couldn't just get small-sized javelins. They should rather just cease to exist.

I suspect darts are in PF because they were in 1e: magic-users were proficient with them and they had better range and ROF than daggers.

Besides, darts are a genuine medieval weapon: essentially they were just arrows with a bit of added weight. Pretty useless against armour but quite handy against peasants.

IMHO, PF darts are quite OK; compared to javelins you lose a bit of range and 1 point of damage, but they're a quarter of the weight and half the price, so you can afford to throw lots of them. Giving them free Quick Draw is a sane thing to do if you want to make them better, though arguably this is more of a martial level ability rather than one for the untrained and unwashed.


...because rogues and fighters get the short stick, regardless of race?

This message was brought to you by Martials Suck, Inc.


James Jacobs wrote:
Thing is... Sandpoint is based on my real-world home town, Point Arena.

So when do we get stats for the Sandpoint Mountain Beaver?


The Harrow Deck is already based on 9 alignments x 6 abilities, with implicit mysticism. You might investigate that.


I treat it as general knowledge about people, but specialising in one area (perhaps a town, city or county) per skill point invested. So when used as knowledge about humans it works everywhere, but for more specific things such as the mayor's fondness for redheads, the player should name some places. It's a reasonable compromise and seems to work OK.


Askren wrote:
The biggest issue is that they just finished Thistletop, so this all has to happen in the week of downtime I gave them between the two books. It's a very short timeframe to concoct this relationship with the NPCs and then have them believably framed for a murder.

So give themm more downtime. Or plug in a side quest in town; if you do it right they shouldn't know that it is a side quest.


Gunslingers are only significant in Alkenstar. If you never go there, they never need appear. At all. After all, Golarion existed long before the class was published.

There are no gunslingers IMC, not because I hate them with any particular vehemence but because there just aren't any near the PCs. Same thing with Linnorms or Oni.


What level are they?

It's not too hard to turn the danger down; the ooze can have half hp and do half damage (it's a baby); one of the harpies is away visiting relatives (and as the PCs know they're harpies they can prepare for it); reduce the song DC a bit, and so on.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Profession: Soldier is useful for more than mass combat and digging latrines; it's also maintenance of armour and weapons, understanding how the military operates (and so where the guards will be when), knowledge of siege machinery and fortifications, cadging rations and equipment off the quartermaster, bluffing the officer of the watch, recognising regimental uniforms, acting like a soldier to blend in, estimating troop numbers based on campfires, giving orders to NPCs and a host of other things. There's a whole lot more there than hitting people with a sword.

The ranger IMC has Prof:Soldier through being a member of the militia, and it's been well worth the points. Of course, being a human ranger, he could spare a point or three.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Send him to Magnimar. he'd be wasted in Korvosa if the PCs aren't going there any time soon. There's an open question of whether he's still working for Drago; given his luck, he might not be.


If your DM allows 3.5 prestige classes, he might allow 3.5 domains. Specifically, Celerity gives you Haste at 4th. You might need to beef up the domain powers; RAW 3.5 just gives you +10 movement like Travel but nothing else. Not that that's bad, mind.


1) Sandpoint is a port, so all manner of unsavoury characters could turn up and cause trouble. Could be a mere bar fight, a kidnapping, a fugitive from justice, thieves, pirates or a plague-carrier.

2) There are plenty of criminals to be dealt with. And plenty of feuding families.

3) The Mosswood goblins or bugbears from Whisperwood could be attacking nearby farms.

4) Something nasty might have crawled out of the Brinestump marsh and be blocking safe travel on the Lost Coast Road.

5) During a storm, a ship runs aground in Sog's Bay - the crew and passengers must be rescued. And then the valuable cargo must be retrieved from beneath the waves.

6) Lots of adventure seeds on pp385-387.

7) Fire! Help, help, save my baby! (tm) Then investigate who started the fire, and why.


Druid. There's nobody else covering that area so there's little duplication. You'll want another divine caster if the cleric doesn't turn up. And you make a decent melee brute if the fighter isn't there.

The only real issue is that you already have 6 PCs, so your animal companion will make that 8 which can bog things down a bit.

Concept-wise, it could be someone whose home in the wilderness was destroyed by the

Spoiler:
ogres
in book 3 and wants to get revenge, or is concerned about what's happened to the
Spoiler:
marshes
or
Spoiler:
weather
in book 3 and wants to fix it.


My Bravery rule is simply +1 per level against all Fear effects. Yes, that's +20 at 20th level, but it's still less than a 3rd level paladin.

Some sort of Grit mechanic for other things might be worthwhile, but I'd separate them completely.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Good call with Pavo and Vhiski, but make sure that it doesn't just get wasted on a single fight. If Vhiski has a few goons around it should be obvious that Zeldu can't take him easily. Besides which, that would be murder so Hemlock would get involved. And Drago would find out about it soon enough. Handled well, this could be good for a lot of mileage.


If he's that thick, he won't be running an inn, at least not without a lot of help. And if he was a PC from a previous campaign, I'm surprised he got captured (what class & level is he?).

Although Ameiko is 5th level, she could get captured by Tsuto because he could take her by surprise (stunning blow, etc). Not sure that would work on a half-orc fighter-type without magic.


Bluff and Dip often achieve much the same thing, but the RP and characterisation is very different. In general, it's a matter of how the player wants to do things. Ideally you'd have both; Dip is good for things like gathering information, but you can end up telling everyone what you want, which may be ill-advised. Bluff is perhaps more fun and probably better when dealing with the underworld. Forget feinting unless you're a rogue.


MendedWall12 wrote:
my general knowledge of geography tells me that most rivers flow in a generally southerly direction (with exceptions of course).

Where on earth did you get that idea?


Everyone proficient in light armour would take this. Even if they had to sacrifice their mothers to get the other, modest, prerequisites. After all, by 12th level it's about as good as 15 feats (8 x Dodge, 4 x not-quite-Lightning Reflexes, 1 for the Combat Expertise bonus, about 2 for the reflex+movement for AC).

It's a bit good. Perhaps too good.


Skullford - Forgive me, I'm nub wrote:
Now I see why only nubs like me are melee.

I infer that you are here complaining that melee (aka martial) characters are underpowered through inability to use wands and the like. You have a point at higher levels where casters do dominate, but

a) it's not the fault of wands which are quite low-powered, and
b) you'll be very glad of that wand when it saves your martial PC's life. Or (if better played) you'll be glad that the cleric got to use his slots to buff you up and cripple the enemy so you didn't go down in the first place.


No. 1d6+1. You get 1d6+2 at 4th level, 1d6+3 at 6th, etc.

Yes, this does mean that your sorcerer's bloodline power is disappointing.


What he said.


For much the same reason that dragons and whatnot can exist without scoffing everything within 100 miles. They eat less than you'd expect; prey species grow faster than you'd expect, not least thanks to natural magic, druids and fey; monsters kill each other in the absence of adventurers.

That's not to say that it can be solved perfectly, because it often doesn't make sense on lots of levels. But the simplest way is to make sure that there aren't more of them than you can reasonably justify.


It's a bit odd. Nauseated is defined in core, but searching the core SRD I can only find one way to inflict it: Stinking Cloud. It gets more love in later books, of course.


Another thing about Rope Trick: in 3.x and earlier, you could pull the rope up into the extradimensional space. Not in PF. So at the very least there's this big obvious sign pointing to the PCs...and monsters can climb.


Ban Rope Trick, for a start. It's a stupid broken spell shot full of unexplained loopholes. And even if you persist in allowing it, you can reasonably assume that dungeon denizens of any appreciable level will be able to track it down and ambush the PCs. Consider that its duration is only 1 hour per level and you'll need to be in there for 9 hours to rest and get spells, so you're 9th level. Opponents at that level can track you down and detect magic. And dispel magic.

Teleport is harder, of course, bt again with the intelligent opponents.

The focus of my last adventure was finding somewhere safe the PCs could sleep. They were trekking through the forest and evening was approaching when they ran into a whole lot of traps and kobold tracks. They were terrified of trying to camp safely in the woods, knowing that there were hostile kobolds around. So nova wasn't an option: they had to kill or scare off every single opponent before resting.


For the OP: I do appreciate your point, and it struck me as a bit odd too. From a balance perspective, you could just make the Ogre Hooks masterwork, and unless the PCs (or more likely, some summoned beasties) have DR/magic it'll make no difference. Add something expensive if you want to restore the WBL.

As an alternative to making Barl the forger, add a captive, charmed dwarven 5th level master smith. You can promote him to 10th level if you need an emergency replacement PC, though that may stretch credibility. You'll probably need Lucrecia to do the charming as Barl is a non-enchanter. Not that Barl is obviously capable of creating a frost wight.

Similarly, to make Lamatar, add either a caster, a beastie or an item. You could hand-wave it away with a scroll, but that's narratively unsatisfying for the PCs. I'd suggest some custom necromantic item such as Lamatar's funky crown (where did he get that?).


Tangent101 wrote:
Easy. Back in 1st edition AD&D, monsters sat on treasure. If there was a +1 short sword, the goblins would keep it in a chest because That Was How It Was Done (and the webcomic Goblins made fun of that theme).

Ahem. 1e DMG page 93:

Gygax wrote:

Placement of Magic Items

...If you decide placement of the wand is appropriate, you will make certain that its guardian will use it in defense. ... The magic boots will be worn by a denizen of the area. While the magic arrows might not be used against the player characters, the +1 dagger will be.

...Guardians tend to employ the items routinely...

Mind you, that is engulfed in such a slough of 6-point Gygaxian waffle that only the most dedicated DM would have spotted it.


Buri wrote:
I'm actually surprised to see this thread turned a tad religious.

It was either that, paladins or how rogues suck.


One might also consider that not all weapons are the same. Sheathing a dagger is not the same as sheathing a greatsword. But there aren't any obvious rules for that either beyond weapon size.


Disable Device is almost guaranteed to be useful at some point, mostly for opening locks. Traps exist, but I don't recall many in RotRL. There's a Mummy's Mask trait (Trap Finder) that gives everything important, should you allow it. It seems a bit OP to me, though it's clearly there so that you don't need a rogue.

Sleight of Hand is useful mostly in urban campaigns, which RotRL generally isn't. In CoT it's probably very handy; not so much here.

Most rogue abilities have been stolen by other classes now, so much so that many people would claim that they're obsolete.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

On further consideration, this needs a few more changes from 3.5: more had changed than I remembered.

Goblings are half goblin, half halfling.

+4 Dexterity, -2 Strength. Goblings are fast but weak, and charmingly amusing or foul and annoying by turns.
Small: Goblings are Small creatures and gain a +1 size bonus to their AC, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, a –1 penalty to their CMB and CMD, and a +4 size bonus on Stealth checks.
Fast: Goblings are fast for their size, and have a base speed of 30 feet.
Low-Light Vision: A gobling can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. She retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.
+2 racial bonus on Stealth, Ride and Acrobatics checks.
+1 racial bonus on all saving throws.
+1 racial bonus on attack rolls with all thrown and missile weapons.
Automatic Languages: Common and either Halfling or Goblin. Bonus Languages: Dwarven, Elven, Gnome, Goblin, Halfling and Orc.


In RAW 1e, a half-elf could be a bard, though it wasn't explained exactly how. The usual assumption was that one would multiclass F/T and then change to bard. So that's how I would have done this elf.

I had a 14th level bard. He was, to say the least, OP. Ironically, the bard class would have been fairly well balanced if it had been treated just like any other class. The only change needed would be to add 1 hit die (1st level bards got nothing). As it was, it was absolutely bonkers, not least because the xp system meant that once you'd got to be a bard at all, you'd tear through the first 10 levels in a couple of days. The same effect happened for the first few rogue levels.

A 1e 8F/9TA/15B halfway through the levels has 1240k xp, which corresponds to a 13C, 13D, 12F, 11P, 12R, 13MU, 14I, 15T, 14A, 13Mk, 13Cav, 10Brb, 14TA. That's about 13th on average, so that's how I'd convert her to PF. As for class, just go straight bard, with some archetype that suits your preferences.


Orik:
Orik is an NPC fighter who turns up in Thistletop near the end of Burnt Offerings. Born unlucky.

Otherwise, a tiefling rogue could come from anywhere: a chancer come from Magnimar or Riddleport to make some cash off the suckers going to the festival, someone who happened to be on a ship that called at SP, or an innocent turfed off a ship when the crew blamed the devilspawn in their midst for the storm that wrecked the rigging.


A quick rewrite to make it PF-compatible. Someone with the ARG can work out the racial cost.

Goblings are half goblin, half halfling.

+4 Dexterity, -2 Strength. Goblings are fast but weak, and charmingly amusing or foul and annoying by turns.
Small: Goblings are Small creatures and gain a +1 size bonus to their AC, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, a –1 penalty to their CMB and CMD, and a +4 size bonus on Stealth checks.
Fast: Goblings are fast for their size, and have a base speed of 30 feet.
Low-Light Vision: A gobling can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. She retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.
Mixed Blood: Goblings count as both goblins and halflings for any effect related to race.
+4 racial bonus on Stealth checks.
+2 racial bonus on Ride checks.
+1 racial bonus on all saving throws.
+1 racial bonus on attack rolls with all thrown and missile weapons.
Automatic Languages: Common and either Halfling or Goblin. Bonus Languages: Dwarven, Elven, Gnome, Goblin, Halfling and Orc.

[I also have dwarflings and elflings, still awaiting PFisation...]


Bunnyboy wrote:
As there are many, who love goblins, should there also be halfgoblins?

I have rules for half-goblin half-halfling 'goblings', though they need to be updated from 3.5. Not sure they came about because the halflings loved the goblins, though.


You are running a *country* here. It's a big thing, is a country. Big, complex, messy. Most modest corporations of a over 100 people will have a couple of dozen jobs that Must Be Done or chaos ensues. Yes, people can double up on these, but so can they in PF.

Just be glad that Health and Safety Officer and Head of ISO9000 Audit aren't on the list.


PRD wrote:
Light: A light weapon is used in one hand. It is easier to use in one's off hand than a one-handed weapon is, and can be used while grappling (see Combat). Add the wielder's Strength modifier to damage rolls for melee attacks with a light weapon if it's used in the primary hand, or half the wielder's Strength bonus if it's used in the off hand. Using two hands to wield a light weapon gives no advantage on damage; the Strength bonus applies as though the weapon were held in the wielder's primary hand only.

So on the face of it, wielding a light weapon in your off hand benefits from half the strength bonus but is not penalised at all by a negative strength modifier.

So my halfling rogue has 9 Str and uses TWF daggers. How much damage does he do? The above suggests 1d3-1 in the right hand, 1d3 in the left.

1 to 50 of 539 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.