Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
About Paizo Messageboards News Paizo Blog Help/FAQ
Grey Render

MisterSlanky's page

Goblin Squad Member. Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber. FullStarFullStarFullStarFullStar Pathfinder Society GM. 2,817 posts (3,329 including aliases). 52 reviews. 2 lists. 1 wishlist. 15 Pathfinder Society characters. 4 aliases.


RSS

1 to 50 of 2,817 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Shadow Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Bah! Missed it this year!

By one.

Shadow Lodge ****

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

My error for forgetting to remove the critical word in that one.

Still...

Shadow Lodge ****

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Muser wrote:
Remember that becoming undead is not cleared with raise dead but requires freaking true resurrection.

Which my table learned dramatically and painfully as the channel + quick channel left the room at positive hit points and the player, who spent the rest of the scenario bragging about his AC quickly realized that his touch AC was not nearly as impressive.

Shadow Lodge ****

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

First off, awesome scenario. I'll try to consolidate more thoughts as I dig into things.

The linchpin to it all:

Even though it's high level, and it involves high level combats, the real linchpin to this entire story are the social encounters. Without them it's "just combat". So when you're running it, make sure the players are relaying the story back to you. What I've found works is to ask the players to describe what they think is going on to their superiors, or to the Emir, or to the team's they're coordinating. It consolidates the storyline in their head and turns it into more than just block text.

More importantly is the "You be a VC" section of the story. This can be run very well, but it's very easy to screw up (I tended more towards the later). Trying to give the PCs the ammunition they need to become the Venture Captains without letting them hang themselves with mechanics is key. In other words, even though it's easy to give yourself more time for combats at the expense of this section - don't. Provide sufficient time. Having them be venture captains is key, because without it, this scenario is just fighting.

How we discussed running:

It starts by providing large note cards & post-its.

On the post-its, include "ideas for kinds of missions you could send the team on". These should be elevator pitches, not information about "I suspect this will happen with this group," and more a "your objective is". More blank ones can be provided for them to create their own missions of their own choice with their own elevator pitches. The idea is to get the group thinking of what they want their Pathfinders to do.

Then, once they have their post-it notes in hand, hand out the descriptions of the teams, and a note card for each team with the team name at the top. Have the group assign the teams by putting the post-it with the mission description on the card. What this is doing is eliminating the confusion of "I intended to say". Trust me, it's easy for things to go awry at that point, especially as players start talking over each other and start suggesting "variants" of the core missions.

Next, have the player bullet point out items that will go into their mission briefing to the pathfinder team. Tell them to be creative in what they want them to investigate, who they're looking for, and what information they chose to provide.

Then say, "I'm going to hit up the restroom, get a drink, and be back in 15 minutes. After I'm back you need to give me a note card of a team with a post-it for a mission elevator pitch, and three bullet points items of what you're planning on telling your Pathfinders.

At this point figure out appropriate skills based on the post-it of the mission (most will probably come from the scenario, but if they're very creative there could be lots of options). Then determine the base bonus each team gets based on their skills and the player rolls for the knowledge skills.

Next based on the knowledge skills, be creative and tweak out their descriptions a bit (nothing too serious, but name places and/or people that their characters know about) and hand the post it back. At this time the players should be ready to actually give a briefing, and hopefully with little confusion.

Combat spoiler:
The first encounter did not go at all as planned. The group never made it to the astral plane and didn't actually suspect it much at all. The problem is the following: easy to grapple characters like to fly, hard to grapple characters like to be on the ground, the bad guys can't fly. I can see this happening again and again. Trying to both grapple and maintain the grapple is REALLY difficult. The entire combat just happened in the desert.

Shadow Lodge ****

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Thunderlips, or any of his "friends" make an appearance.

Shadow Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
graystone wrote:
Kalindlara wrote:
As for Windy Escape, given that it's only accessible to one of the boon races

In PFS. We aren't talking only about PFS are we?

"members of other races can learn to cast them with GM permission"

Because if you're playing in a home game your GM can equally easily rule that the old Jingasa exists...

If you're playing in a home game and complaining, don't use the update.

Shadow Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

I have a Dhampir Pathfinder Society character.

You have to remember two things:

1) Channeling can be positive or negative energy.
2) You must specify if you are trying to "heal" or trying to "harm".

1) Gary is good, therefore he positive channels to "heal" - The dhampir, who cannot be healed by positive energy (as undead are not) does not have anything happen. Vladimir wishes he had taken damage, because although the positive aura is pleasantly warm, doesn't heal any damage (but would have).

2) Vladimir is evil, therefore he negative channels to harm - The dhampir, who cannot be harmed by negative energy (as undead are not), does not have anything happen. Gary though does take damage because living people are harmed by negative energy to harm.

3) Gary again, being good, puts out positive energy in harm mode - The dhampir, being harmed by positive energy as undead says "OW!" and takes damage as if he were undead.

4) Vladimir, the evil cleric, puts out negative energy in heal mode - The dhampir, who is not harmed by negative energy, but instead healed by negative energy heals the damage he just took from Gary as if he were undead.

Shadow Lodge

6 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Marcus Steelfeather wrote:
And now there's almost no good option for the head magic slot, just specific itens for specific builds. With this change, they could easily merge the head and headband slots and call it a day, and now we only need the big six. Horray for the diversity. #kappa

This, and most of the arguments about "limiting diversity" and "I'm going to quit Pathfinder Society now" are nothing more than hyperbole.

Hate the change, that's fine, but at least be honest about it. You don't like it. Changing one item doesn't "limit diversity" when everybody has the same item in the first place. Changing one item doesn't mean that there's "no good option". There's one less overpowered option. Saying that "you might as well get rid of the two slots" doesn't do anything to advance an argument that there's a lack of diversity now. In fact, the absolute contradictions in the arguments being made are amazing.

You may like that, and that's fine, but to expand it to the point that "everything sucks now" isn't doing anything to move your argument forward.

How about alternatives? Point out how much it WOULD have cost. Once you see how outrageous that is, try working with the system and propose a reasonable change. Instead of just saying "waaah, I hate things now" figure out why, really figure out why, and then propose the "right solution". Not in terms of sweeping "you shouldn't have" but rather in terms of what would have been realistic. Otherwise that's all this is, complaining.

Shadow Lodge

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Cylerist wrote:

What I don't understand about some of the changes (Feather step boots and Jingasa especially) is that the function of the item could remain the same and the pricing redone to match it. i.e. extra gp for boots being continuous effect and the higher price for "luck" instead of deflection and the "avoid a crit" of the Jingasa. This would have keep them within the item creation rules without nerfing their powers (they would just cost more to be balanced).

Which would have then resulted in page after page of complaints that the price changed too much. The change to the item would have resulted in a hat in the tens of thousands of gold (there's a good post somewhere on the math behind it). You don't think that would have caused complaining too?

It was a broken item. A hideously broken item that outshined every other item available for a vast majority of the player base. Any change to the item, price or otherwise would have just led to just as many complaints as we have now. Paizo's damned if they do, damned if they don't.

And I'm very glad they did.

Shadow Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Chris Lambertz wrote:
If it helps, we adjusted the ticket format to fit in the dimensions of the badge holders we include in the packets last year :)

But not the dimensions of the badge holders from this year.

Gotta keep you on your toes. ;-)

Shadow Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Leg o' Lamb wrote:
All of that will be on site. If you have a favorite lanyard, I recommend you bring it.

Thanks for the reminder - that is something I often forget.

Shadow Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

I take that back, we have a seat open still on Thursday evening at 7:00 for Faithless and Forgotten Todd.

You can find it on Warhorn

Shadow Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

The Thursday F&F game was full last time I looked.

To the OP, chances of getting a response about an "extra table" are about zero. The schedule has been set and I've yet to see extra tables added for any PaizoCon last minute like this. Trying to get a GM for an official game is outside the realm of possibility at the moment.

Shadow Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
BigNorseWolf wrote:
MisterSlanky wrote:


Objectively, if every person that had a Jingasa goes to no hat, there is not a net decrease in diversity.

That is very far from objective.

You're really struggling to understand the logic behind this aren't you?

If 90% of a population own an item, and 10% do not (as you claim in your own argument, because would anybody buy anything but the Jingasa), moving most of that population (reversing the distribution) from 90% do to 10% do not to 1% do and 99% do not is not a "reduction in diversity", that's a net zero change in diversity. If the number instead changes to 1% do, and 1% have option B, and 1% have option C, and 1% have option D, and the remaining 96% remain at do not, you've had a net increase in the diversity of the item in the population.

You personally may hate every item at that price point, but if even 1% of 1% of the people disagree with you and take something else, diversity of items will go up. So yes, it is completely intellectually dishonest to continue the argument that the Jingasa nerf somehow makes the distribution of head slot items in the game "less diverse". If you are going to claim that there was no reason to take any hat but the Jingasa, you have to accept that removing it from the game increases diversity.

Argue that you hate the nerf because you think they should have changed the price instead of the attributes. Argue the nerf because you think crits ruin the game. Argue you hate the nerf because you love jingasas as a style, but at least be honest about it. But us arguing here isn't going to change things around this time.

Shadow Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Andrew Christian wrote:

Is there a good place for me to get distilled water?

I'll be bringing my CPAP along with me so I sleep right at night, and it uses Distilled water.

And for the sake of everybody, including the people in the rooms next door to Andy, we would like him to have water for his CPAP.

Shadow Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
9mm wrote:
Of course it doesn't, you think the other hats are worth the gold. They aren't. oh look, it makes sense now.

Just because we disagree on what is useful does not mean the hats aren't useful. This argument makes the assumption that unless it's cheap, and amazingly powerful, it's not useful.

Buffering caps more-or-less duplicate part of the effect on the cheap.

Disguise self can be quite useful.

I've been in plenty of situations that I wish I had a boat, and such I feel Besmara's Tricorne is a great item for its price.

Holy masks of the living gods, helms of comprehend language, maiden's helms, masks of conflicting energy, circlet of persuasion, grappler's masks, explorer's pith helmet all have their use. If I start setting the price point higher the list gets broader.

One overpowered head item was nerfed, and there are options if you're willing to look for them.

But then again, as I've seen elsewhere you'll simply say, "you're wrong these aren't useful", and I'll counter with "no, you're wrong, they're all useful" and we'll be at an impasse, and the Jingasa still won't be coming back.

Shadow Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Sundakan wrote:
Name these "dozen useful hats", because after the Cap of the Free Thinker and Jingasa were nerfed I can't think of a single one worth wasting the cash on.

I did in another thread.

Objectively, if every person that had a Jingasa goes to no hat, there is not a net decrease in diversity. There is an equal transfer of diversity from "hat" to "no hat". If even one of those people decides, "the hat of disguise is awesome", you have produced a net increase in the diversity of head wear.

Again, this argument makes zero sense.

Shadow Lodge ****

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
John Compton wrote:
Looking at the original brawling enchantment, it looks like a +1 armor enchantment (let's call it 3,000 gp, which is the cost to upgrade to from +1 armor to an effective +2 armor) granted the equivalent benefits of a +2 weapon enhancement (somewhere in...

Don't forget John that the brawling enhancement is typically treated like all unarmed bonuses and likely was changed to function in cost as two weapons of enhancement (exactly as they did with the amulet) due to the fact that it's usually combined with some kind of flurry. My math was less conservative than yours because I felt that when doing the comparison, you should be looking at two, not one weapon.

Shadow Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
BigNorseWolf wrote:
but the problem with the magic items isn't that the items were decreasing diversity, they were increasing it. Now its going to drop.

I want clarification on this argument. How does removing a hat nearly every character had, and opening up the option for at least a dozen useful hats with different functions at or below the same price-point decrease diversity.

This argument keeps coming up and it so much doesn't make sense.

Shadow Lodge ****

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

As a fan of the brawling enhancement, and a person who has to rethink some ideas due to the change, I really, and I mean really don't understand the "I have to quit now" mentality regarding this specific armor. This is twice now this rhetoric has been thrown around.

The brawling enhancement was outright broken at the price point it was set at. Assuming that we cap out pretty nicely on gold, the brawling enhancement would, as previously written, only really cost you at most about 7,000 gp (the cost of going from +3 to +4), but realistically cost you 3,000 gp because it was probably bought as the first enhancement (going from +1 to +2).

Let's put that into perspective. A necklace of might fists, which is entirely stackable with that armor, can provide for extra effects in addition to the bonus to hit and damage from the armor, and for which the system was built, costs 8,000 gp at the first +2 bonus. So the two items combined in essence can give you a +4 bonus for the cost of 15,000 gp. Compare that to the price of the +4 amulet of mighty fists (34,000 gp) and you start to see the problem.

The reason the price was changed is because the effect was outrageously good for the price. It was brought in line of the two stacking. Does this suck? Again, as somebody with a character with this in the design, I had to tweak ideas a bit, but it's certainly not unfair, and the development team certainly doesn't owe you, or any of us, an explanation for what is very much a reasonable change. I'm sorry you feel that this "ruins your character to the point of unplayability" but hyperbole isn't getting this discussion anywhere.

Shadow Lodge ****

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Jessex wrote:

I'm not sure how I feel about the Jingasa. It was one of the every party member needs one items for our Eyes of the Ten run and it has come in very handy. However being good doesn't in and of itself seem to be reason to nerf an item.

It isn't like there are a bunch of other head slot items competing for use. Now that the Jingasa is no longer any good I doubt most PC's will fill the slot except for CHA based ones who will continue to use the circlet of persuasion.

See previous posts on the inaccuracy of the statement regarding "needing" the hat, and the one with the roughly 10 items at or below the cost of a Jingasa that nicely fill the head slot.

Heck, the buffering hat alone fills in the role of the Jingasa for crit reductions.

Shadow Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Khelreddin wrote:


Monday, May 30
08:00 AM – 01:00 PM #7-23: Abducted in Aether

I'm in two of the games that cause Mr. Slanky to feel bad for others at the table! And I'm quite curious about the Monday morning game of Abducted in Aether and just what madness Leg O' Lamb and Slanky have in mind, and if I can get in on it.

Does the name "THUNDERLIPS" mean anything to you?

Shadow Lodge ****

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

I'd accept bets against me, but with the release of Celestial Healing, I'd worry more about the future of Infernal Healing than anything. I think it's a precursor of things to come.

Shadow Lodge ****

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Thomas Hutchins wrote:
Yet they have no problem with Magic Belts, magic headbands, magic weapons, magic armor, rinds of deflections, cloak of resist and AoNA. You know, the stuff that probably 80% of people take on all their characters. Yup, need to remove the jingasa cause it was a staple, but these other things, well their needed, can't remove those from the game.

The difference is (and I don't have the time or inclination to go find the commentary where this was first stated back in old 3.0 days by developers long passed Pathfinder) is that the game is designed around an equipment progression that again was designed to rely on the "big six". This is a design decision that I often, in our home area, moan about, because it makes "low magic games" exceedingly difficult to power for. Yes, the game "requires" many of these items (I use the term "require" loosely for all the reasons I've already said).

But...these UA and other items are not these items. They are stand alone additions to this system. So lumping every other new additional option into the same category as the "big six" is missing the point entirely. Options are supposed to provide options, or things that tempt you from the big six, or one-shot items appropriate for home campaigns which nobody in their right mind would buy for PFS, or things that are just fun. This is the problem I have with this argument, it's a mixing of apples and oranges. Not everything should fall into the category of "must have", with the exception of the items which the game was designed around (in all the unfortunateness that is).

Shadow Lodge ****

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Kalindlara wrote:

As written, it would appear that it still sells for half the listed price, e.g. 2,500 gp. (This makes blowing that charge a bit less painful, I suppose.)

Still... probably something in need of attention. ^_^

This still remains unanswered, which through all the complaining is a super-valid question. Wouldn't want it lost in the shuffle.

Shadow Lodge ****

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Thomas Graham wrote:
Using that logic..we should ban adamantine weapons, swarm bane clasp, golembane scarab, cure light wound wands, wands of infernal healing, rings of protection, cloaks of resistance. They are all 'must get' items.

With the exception of the healing (which is a fundamental part of the game), nothing on that list is "must get". Out of everything listed, I have roughly half with rings of protection, and half with cloaks of resistance. I have a swarm bane clasp on my gunslinger because the idea makes me laugh. The rest I have on no one.

This is really a flawed argument on so many levels.

Shadow Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

I feel kinda bad for you all if you're on a certain number of these games...

Friday, May 27
08:00 AM – 01:00 PM #7-09: The Blakros Connection
07:00 PM – 11:59 PM #7-21: The Sun Orchid Scheme

Saturday, May 28
08:00 AM – 01:00 PM #7-16: Faithless and Forgotten, Part 2: Lost Colony of Taldor
01:00 PM – 06:00 PM #7-13: Captive in Crystal
07:00 PM – 11:00 PM PaizoCon 2016 Preview Banquet

Sunday, May 29
08:00 AM – 01:00 PM #7-22: Bid for Alabastrine
01:00 PM – 06:00 PM Rise of Latveria - A Marvel/Pathfinder Mashup
07:00 PM – 11:59 PM #7-98: Serpent's Ire (PaizoCon 2016 Pathfinder Society Special)

Monday, May 30
08:00 AM – 01:00 PM #7-23: Abducted in Aether (I feel very sorry for this GM in particular...)

Shadow Lodge ****

7 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
BigNorseWolf wrote:
Sadly this is going to DROP the diversity of items, not increase it.

Well as somebody that has chosen not to buy the Jingasa because, "why would my character that's never been to Tian Xia want to buy a Tian hat" and "why would my fighter who grew up in Tandan nobility want to not wear something of the highest fashion instead," I am apparently one of the few uniquely qualified to answer this. This won't drop the diversity if you look not for the mechanically superior item at the best price, but instead for useful, cool, or thematic items at a reasonable price.

Items to pop on my noggin I rather like include: Hats of disguise, Besmara's tricorne (which replicates another item that's saved my bacon on more than one occasion), buffering hats, holy masks of the living gods, helm of comprehend languages and read magic, maiden's helm, mask of conflicting energy, circlet of persuasion, grappler's mask, explorer's pith helmet (which is both an awesome and thematic item),

Everything on that list above are things I either have, or have seriously considered for various characters that are at or near the price point of a Jingasa. Most I pick because they're right for the character (my hellknight isn't buying a pith helmet). The list is really quite cool if you actually read into it and try to find something that fits your character and has its use. Not everything needs to be "always on" and the "best choice".

Shadow Lodge ****

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
technarken wrote:
My -2 was one of my first characters, an investigator that I built into Unarmed Combat when I discovered the Brawling Enchantment. The character purchased Brawling Armor and an Agile Amulet of Mighty Fists, then put the remainder of their wealth into other generally useful items. The character would have to either sell off an item like their Constitution Belt to afford the 'upgrade' to what they already had, develop a raging GMF Potion addiction, or retire the character.

It's actually this level of hyperbole that has me honestly happy about these changes.

Nobody needs a Jingasa on every character. I'm sure an unarmed investigator with an amulet of mighty fists and other items will not need to be 'retired' because of a loss of +2 hit/damage (if that were the case I'd need to retire every time I had the shaken condition). Some really, really underpriced items with some overly-powerful game effects were brought down in power. I'd still consider gloves of reconnaissance on the right character. But when there's a single item that's so vastly overpowered that it becomes so commonplace you see every min/max build with said item, there probably is a problem.

Might the pendulum swung too far in some places? Probably, but saying that 'this character sucks now' because of the loss of +2, or 'every high level scenario is a crapshoot now because of crits' really isn't honest at all. I have plenty of characters without any of these items, and I still have fun, and you will too.

Shadow Lodge ****

8 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Aaaaaw man, you nerfed the price of the mithral waffle iron? What is our Chicken and Waffles salesman going to do?

Shadow Lodge ****

5 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Disk Elemental wrote:
The problem is with crits, the fact the Jingasa is required at upper levels tells you how borked the system is.

Having it on none of my characters including my 16, or my other eyes characters, or any of my 9+ characters, I think it fair to say that it is not "required".

This is really making a mountain out of a single item molehill that absolutely deserved every ounce of nerfing it got. And there's still the Buffering cap, and other items should you wish to make a crit resistant build (I have one, they're fun, I played it tonight, I negated three crits).

Shadow Lodge ****

10 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
James McTeague wrote:
I'm sure no one's happy about the jingasa nerf, but it really needed to be done. Thanks Paizo!

I wouldn't say "no one". You should have seen me at PFS tonight.

When every single character you encounter has one, and you're asked every time by everybody why your characters do not...there be a problem.

Shadow Lodge ****

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
John Compton wrote:
As I've been reminded by missing a few feats in Ultimate Intrigue that were hidden in a not-legal subsystem, issuing broad statements of what is and isn't allowed does come with risks.

Aaaawwww man....Silbeg told you about that!?

I was hoping to surprise ya'll at Paizo Con with that one.

Shadow Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

This is my favorite part about this awesome website - you can look in location A, B, and C, but forget that D, E, F, and G exist and then find out it says one thing in A, and another in G, but G trumps A.

Shadow Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

I had this same question and did some reading.

While I certainly like your answer for "reasons", it's counter to what Developer Owen K.C. Stephens wrote in this thread.

His example was explicit for using evasion in a mithril breastplate, but it would still apply here. Specifically the statement "So except for that one exception, medium mithral armor is treated as light armor for limitations."

Shadow Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
sowhereaminow wrote:
I can't speak to all the logistics, but the issue with Paizocon is difficulty of getting GMs to commit before the lottery is run and registration is opened so they can see what their schedule is. Makes things a bit more difficult.

I can understand, and there are ways around that too.

Shadow Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

With due respect, and I really try to mean that because having helped at multiple conventions, organized at others, and run countless game days I understand that there is effort and work involved, especially when trying to line up GMs.

But why wasn't this done months ago? Why are we hearing about not getting the GMs now? Those are some pretty important questions, and that's on-top of having zero communication regarding what is happening in regards to scheduling this. This was frustrating last year, and everybody knew it was frustrating. I'm struggling to understand why it's a repeat.

So you will have to forgive me for trying to pull my own convention experience into my own hands here. I'm spending hundreds of dollars to go have fun, so I'm going to make fun if I have to.

P.S. - I'm pretty sure Friday afternoon free if anybody is searching for a more players (or even, depending on the scenario, a GM).

Shadow Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

So...it's now only a week before PaizoCon. About two weeks ago the VC from Seattle said the VL would be organizing afternoon games. Last week we asked again and said there was a scheduling snafu, but a list of games would be coming soon. So a week out I think it's time to ask the question, do we just need to get our own afternoon games scheduled?

We have access to a Warhorn site via Majuba, so that's obviously an option. I was really hoping that we'd see the afternoon scheduled this year after last year's note that this is something players would like seen, but at this point we're running out of time.

So to kick it off, who's looking for what?

I know there are three of us looking for a GM willing to run Part 3 of Faithless & Forgotten Saturday afternoon.

Shadow Lodge ****

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Steven Schopmeyer wrote:
I was more put off by the fact that the Emir was telling all of us about these caravans as lackeys were running in and out of the tent. No mention of scrying protections either.

In and out of the tent? The briefing and discussions are supposed to be occuring in the Emir's house with minimal involvement of anybody not "inside" the plan. At least I read the latter due to the location of the former.

Shadow Lodge ****

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Thursty and Jon get an A+ for content on this one. Great story and worthy of a group of Seekers. I am very much excited to get into the meat of it.

Due to time constraints, we are running everything through the initial interaction with The Emir through e-mail, so when we gather on Saturday we can jump right into the first encounter.

Based on commentary sneaking out through the players I'm discovering the following, which can be of concern for GMs with particularly suspicious groups:

Spoiler:
The group has become very concerned with who has seen the convoy plans and who has detailed knowledge of the convoy plans. They're instantly suspicious of a mole in the ranks (who wouldn't be). My conundrum though is that as you're reading through the description of the convoys, the only one that has a name attached to it (or even a rank/title) is The High Priest Kaarim, which instantly throws a ton of suspicion on his specifically. Since I'm trying to avoid a complete side-path (it's not really a derail since it's easy to recover from), I wanted to distract a little from this.

So what I'm doing, even if it's subtle enough, is to get a name of somebody "in power" associated with each of the six primary convoys. In other words, spread the potential mole to everybody in the room so the players aren't instantly pointing at one. Instead suspicious groups start questioning everybody involved (or become less suspicious in everybody if they are really trusting). Here are my associations:

The Faithful Procession: Clearly called out as being suggested/offered by Kaarim.

Inquisition of Inevitables: High conjurer Farhaana the conjurer that is doing all the teleportation magic.

Pashow's Parade Caravan: Saabira Taheri suggested the military contingent (since a good contingent would come from her guard).

Pathfinder Delivery: After being approached, Marcos Farabellus suggests this one.

Lord Lightfoot: The Citadel of the Alchemist itself suggested Lord Lightfoot due to work he has done with them in the past.

Sable Company Envoys: The Emir, who has contacts in Korvosa offered up this contract.

I have no idea if this will work, or even if it will help keep players on-task, but they seem to be picking up on it.

Shadow Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Leg o' Lamb wrote:

Come on! You get to experience both MisterSlankey and me if you volunteer to run F&F 3. Now, who can turn down that kind of offer?

No one, I tell you. No one.

Now what's it gonna take to get you behind the wheel of this beautiful low milage GM Screen and run F&F 3 for us?

Probably VL Keith too.

And maybe some other VO that's running it 8-bajilion times at the con.

And it's Slanky, there's no "E" in Slanky.

Shadow Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
TriOmegaZero wrote:
Ancient's Anguish will be amazing if I ever get my Alchemist in order to play it. :P

Ancient's Anguish is "replay worthy" IMHO. Very fun scenario.

Shadow Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Anybody looking to play (and more questionably run) Faithless and Forgotten 3 Saturday or Sunday afternoon? It appears my scheduling of trying to get in all three parts has failed miserably.

Shadow Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
sowhereaminow wrote:
Who is actually organizing the midday events? I have an open Friday afternoon and could run something.

I know this was discussed earlier in this thread around two weeks ago, but I will admit that I am personally becoming frustrated by the lack of discussion by the Seattle lodge regarding scheduling of afternoon events.

We're under two weeks to Paizo Con, and from experience I know it takes a lot longer to properly organize things. It'd hate for this to slip again like it did last year.

Shadow Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Majuba wrote:
FWIW, the warhorn link *may* be the place for the afternoon slots - I'm investigating/offering it with the VL in charge. Often here they do signups at the start of a con instead of prior.

Hey Majuba,

Thank you so much for investigating this. Is there any chance we can get an update from the VL for the region? It's cutting this one really close to the wire.

Shadow Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

This rarely, if ever gets answered for general PFS tables at Paizo Con.

Specifically, there are 18 players signed up so it's more difficult to answer here (most players don't check the forums). That's three tables. Chances are there will be a solid low, and a solid high table.

Shadow Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

I cannot describe the level of disappointment I'm currently experiencing.

Shadow Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

I just checked and mine is showing up now too. Congrats on discovering which Goblin was doing it.

Shadow Lodge ****

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

A lot of us regularly game in stores with a 6 hour operating window, and it's usually not a huge problem. Talk to the store manager too, if they know what's going on, a lot of time they work with you.

Shadow Lodge ****

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

You get chronicles for each one. Each chronicle provides "part of" a standard chronicle. When all are put together you get the equivalent of a normal chronicle, or you get "part of one". It's not as confusing as I just made it sound.

1 to 50 of 2,817 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

©2002–2016 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.