Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
About Paizo Messageboards News Paizo Blog Help/FAQ

LazarX's page

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Roleplaying Game, Tales Subscriber. FullStarFullStarFullStar Pathfinder Society GM. 29,789 posts (30,200 including aliases). 1 review. 1 list. No wishlists. 14 Pathfinder Society characters. 11 aliases.


RSS

1 to 50 of 29,789 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Grand Lodge ***

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Roleplaying Game, Tales Subscriber
deusvult wrote:
David Bowles wrote:
Interesting. I've never seen anyone charged a move action to use a tool.

Action economy when switching equipment is another thing GMs commonly don't enforce.

I and all of the judges I know personally, and that's a fair number, do.

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Roleplaying Game, Tales Subscriber

There may be. At best, it looks like it'll be a very small one though.

Make no mistake though, this is primarily a PVP game.

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Roleplaying Game, Tales Subscriber
Eltacolibre wrote:
Lantern Bearer, would only recommend for fighter using a simple build, well it's elf/half-elf, half-elf using a two handed weapon with power attack, from level 6 and above, you still get full bab, spells (including freedom of movement at 7th level), favored enemy, weapons become good aligned, cold-iron, hide in plain sight, Holy aura etc...frankly a nice way to get powers for a good half-elf and if your dm is friendly to the idea of the lantern bearer organization, you can even teleport between your organization gates.

I always thought of it as a Ranger progression, myself.

Grand Lodge ***

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Roleplaying Game, Tales Subscriber
BigNorseWolf wrote:


The solutions being offered for peoples concerns are so vague as to be non existant. I cannot reach any conclussion other than such individuals being considered an acceptable loss.

it's really hard to offer solutions when all you have for a problem, with no significant data behind it, as is the usual panic reaction anytime a change is put up.

If Core becomes that much more popular than standard PFS. (Something I see as very unlikely as players LIKE their new shinys for the most part), than it follows that many who were playing PFS Main were playing it because the option they wanted wasn't available. I'm pretty sure that Paizo would not be launching a Core-only campaign if they really thought the bulk of their PFS players would abandon main (and the reason to buy more Paizo books) for Core.

I suspect that there will be a fair amount of players who will do both, try Core out for the novelty, and the bulk of those will retreat to PFS Main once the novelty wears off and they find out how many of their power shinies that Core won't let them play with, (no magus, gunfighter, alchemist, witch, samurai, etc.. etc..)

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Roleplaying Game, Tales Subscriber
Schuyler Atkinson wrote:

This question may already exist somewhere in the long lost annuls of this forum and if someone could like it that would be great.

If a Magus uses Still spell or the Still spell Arcana or another method for removing the somatic component of a spell can they than use a two handed weapon and still have full access to the breath of their spell combat/spell strike abilities?

Again a straight answer or link to the answer would be greatly appreciated.

There is no rules mechanic other than archetype that removes the "one hand free" rquirement for spell combat. There is no extant mechanic that allows spell combat with a two handed weapon for any creature with less than three arms.

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Roleplaying Game, Tales Subscriber
Killebrew wrote:
fretgod99 wrote:
Did you miss the part where I quoted the rule saying you normally have to have a spell on your spell list to use the magic device? Whether you are interested or not, your spell list is what is relevant. If a spell is not on your spell list, you need UMD to use the relevant wand. That a Cleric can cast a spell doesn't make it a Cleric spell. If it's not a Cleric spell, you have to UMD.
And that's the crux of the reason why I'm ignoring spell list. I quoted and put the relevant section of the Spell Trigger items in my opening post. The other persons argument is basically that since there are Clerics that can cast something, the Class can cast it even though not all members of the class can, and in a technical sort of way they are correct. The wording isn't that it has to be on the spell list, just that the class has to be able to cast it. In all honesty, if the wording was with the 3.5 version it wouldn't be a problem at all, since it clearly stated spell list instead of the ambiguous "whose class can cast it."

The problem is you can't ignore the spell list as it's the crux of what kind of spell-trigger or spell completion magic items a character can use.

And the other person is simply wrong for reasons already stated by myself and others upthread.

Every cleric has a unique spell list which is the sum of the following; the main cleric spell list, plus the spells belonging that cleric's domain or domains, minus the spells forbidden to said cleric by diety or alignment. The spell trigger and spell completion items usable to an individual cleric without relying on UMD is determined by their personal spell list. This also applies to druids with their spell list and domains as well.

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Roleplaying Game, Tales Subscriber

Races?

I'm rather looking forward to the Magnimar Drag Races, the Cheliax Chariot Challenges, but most of all... The Absalom 5000.

Grand Lodge ***

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Roleplaying Game, Tales Subscriber
gnoams wrote:
Lets say I play a certain scenario in core that gives me access to an archetype. This archetype says instead of x I get a bonus teamwork feat every other level. Can I pick any normal pfs legal teamwork feat? I'm trying not to spoiler things but there is a scenario that gives this, it's not just a hypothetical question.

Core scenarios are very unlikely to give you access to something outside of core. In the event that does happen, it's extremely likely that it will tell you EXACTLY what you can get and how it can be applied. It's very unlikely that we'll see any open door boons from a Chronicle.

Grand Lodge

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Roleplaying Game, Tales Subscriber
Nefreet wrote:

Yes, you should consider those spells as part of the character's class spell list.

(until someone quotes Stephen saying that Developer commentary is worthless)

That text means it's on THAT character's class list, not on the list of every cleric whether they possess the domain or not.

Grand Lodge ***

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Roleplaying Game, Tales Subscriber
David Bowles wrote:
[Vanilla PFS is *better* because other classes gained a lot more than druids did, but they were already so far ahead of most other classes that it was necessary. CORE sends us back to druids just being heads and shoulders above most everyone in an environment where the GM can't compensate for the multi-attacking pet that is also a reservoir of extra hps and extra actions. And it's not just the animal companion. They can summon as many creatures as they like while their companions is active. I've seen a druid put out so many creatures the NPCs couldn't even move in the room. They are a better master summoner than the master summo.

Druids are subject to the same limitations on summoning as everyone else, i.e. only one summon spell can be active per player at a time.

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Roleplaying Game, Tales Subscriber
Natan Linggod 327 wrote:

@LazarX I don't mean how do I build Supernatural in PF, just how would this one thing alter other things.

It would alter more than I could fit i a forum post, but the answer to that largely depends on you and what you plan to through at your players. It would depend on how you stat up your monsters. If you make them unkillable save by killing the host, that would impact the fallout. If you make them unkillable period, then you vastly alter the nature of the campaign.

It's not just one thing, it's all the collateral changes that result.

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Roleplaying Game, Tales Subscriber
BigNorseWolf wrote:

How can eyewitnesses not be considered evidence?

You can make good arguments that they are bad evidence but not evidence pushes epistemic nihilism

What eyewitnesses? 31 people making 31 separate claims are not corrobative eyewitnesses to each other. I find it also rather hard to believe that three dozen alleged victims of three dozen separate cases would ALL decide not to press any charges until it was way after the time it was possible to prosecute them.

The point I'm making is that I'm not rendering a judgment of guilty or innocence on Mr. Cosby, although I know what i'm predisposed to believe, but expressing an unqualified opinion on a hot button topic, which all opinions about this case must be.... does nothing more than promote entropy, which is the one thing I'm categorically against.

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Roleplaying Game, Tales Subscriber
thejeff wrote:
LazarX wrote:
thejeff wrote:
Orfamay Quest wrote:
Paladin of Baha-who? wrote:
Saying that you presume Cosby to be innocent until proven guilty is equivalent to saying you presume those b&#~~es to be lying until proven truthful.

Only in the sense that my saying I don't know if it's raining outside is equivalent to my saying that I believe it's not raining.

I.e. -- not at all. I'm sure there are even less accurate statements you could have made, but you would have had to work quite hard at it.

More like you've had a bunch of people come by and tell you it's raining outside, but when asked you just say "I have no evidence it's raining"
The big difference is that in the latter case, it's very easy to prove whether or not it is raining outside. (That's what windows are for) On the other hand accusations of a crime committed in a date prior to the Statue of Limitations are untestable because no trial will be forthcoming. What these accusations serve to do is to promote a perpetual untestable cloud of uncertainty.

That's certainly true. It's often easy to see if it's raining. Though if you have to interrupt something even to go see if you need to close your car windows, it would be foolish to do so if there's absolutely no evidence that it's raining. And since people's statements are absolutely no evidence...

Do you contend then that after the Statute of Limitations has expired victims should not come forward? That if they do, everyone should ignore and dismiss them?
Does that include people who might be at risk of the same crime if the accusations are true? Are they required to ignore them as well?

And even a trial does not prove the accused didn't commit the crime. It simply says it couldn't be proved beyond a reasonable doubt. This is clearly shown in our legal system when a defendant is found Not Guilty in a criminal case, but liable in a civil lawsuit where the standard is the Preponderance of the Evidence. Given that my opinion will do far...

So your argument then is that accusation alone is a confirmation of guilt, even if the State does not prove it's case? And the case you're citing as an example, was not a typical law case but an extreme case of the Mondo Bizarro world that celebrity legal cases wind up.

I'm not saying what the alleged victims should do. I would however recommend that if victims want to press their cases they should be coming forward sooner than later.

As for as the Cosby accusers are, I'm humble enough to say that there is nothing credible to say, no qualified opinion, and anyone who claims otherwise is just blowing air around, (or bytes if you will)

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Roleplaying Game, Tales Subscriber
thejeff wrote:
Orfamay Quest wrote:
Paladin of Baha-who? wrote:
Saying that you presume Cosby to be innocent until proven guilty is equivalent to saying you presume those b&#~~es to be lying until proven truthful.

Only in the sense that my saying I don't know if it's raining outside is equivalent to my saying that I believe it's not raining.

I.e. -- not at all. I'm sure there are even less accurate statements you could have made, but you would have had to work quite hard at it.

More like you've had a bunch of people come by and tell you it's raining outside, but when asked you just say "I have no evidence it's raining"

The big difference is that in the latter case, it's very easy to prove whether or not it is raining outside. (That's what windows are for) On the other hand accusations of a crime committed in a date prior to the Statue of Limitations are untestable because no trial will be forthcoming. What these accusations serve to do is to promote a perpetual untestable cloud of uncertainty.

Grand Lodge

3 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Roleplaying Game, Tales Subscriber

Ah yes, Trial by Media. I'm sure Ben Franklin would approve. Why bother with things such as evidence, corrobative witnesses, (33 women making 33 separative accusations are not corrobative), or any of that complicated mess.

There are a lot of factors here, race most assuredly being one of them, considering how Cosby is being treated as opposed to Clinton.

I refuse to pass judgement because I can't see the worth, the virtue, or the utility of doing so, unless condemning a man without evidence, solely on the number of accusers is becoming a new standard of jurisprudence. I also recognize my own prejudices in how they interact with how I perceive the totality of this case.

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Roleplaying Game, Tales Subscriber
EltonJ wrote:
GeraintElberion wrote:
k3ndawg wrote:
When a story is written, not one moment should be spent on race/sex/political considerations. It should just be a story, told without agenda. Just as we should read these stories, without our own agendas.

I disagree with this.

Firstly, if you are not consciously considering rac/sex/politics then your subconsious assumptions and biases will come through. Race/sex/politics will still be there, it just won't be deliberate.

Our subconscious was created to be perfect. They (our subconsciouses) foundationalized to have compassion towards one another. The base assumptions came through the programming we received from our Earthly parents. You have to be carefully taught to hate gays, to hate blacks, and to hate politics that don't agree with yours.

Basically, your confusing subconscious feelings with our conscious feelings which is often indoctrinated in the first place. I don't usually write according to the dictates of my subconscious (except for my porn), but I do write according to my indoctrination.

The Mage: The Ascension forum is that way -------->

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Roleplaying Game, Tales Subscriber
GM Lamplighter wrote:
It is weapon damage, and so DR applies. There is no energy associated with it - energy types are strictly defined. In some spells like flame strike, half the damage is called out as "divine" and not affected by DR; the fact that this isn't done for a holy weapon means it is just weapon damage.

It's on the same weaponstrike so you don't apply DR twice to it. It's applied once against the weapon +bonus damage itself.

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Roleplaying Game, Tales Subscriber
Doomn wrote:

Interesting question: A spell cast through a spectral hand cannot flank, but, if you are considered to be flanking for a melee attack (through, say, the Gang Up feat) do you get the flanking bonus on the Spectral Hand attack?

-Doomn

No. if you can't flank, you can't get the bonus for flanking either.

Grand Lodge ***

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Roleplaying Game, Tales Subscriber
Steven Schopmeyer wrote:
Aaron Motta wrote:
Our VC whupped us into shape! ;-)
My ankles are still sore.

Nothing that a night with the ParaCountess can't excaberate.

Grand Lodge ***

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Roleplaying Game, Tales Subscriber
Drogon wrote:

This is going to come up (has come up as a question in those other threads) and I really do need to know what the response is going to be:

Someone screws up. Despite every precaution the "Core Only" rule was violated at a table.

The table was announced as a Core table. The GM checked with players prior to playing to be sure they were using Core-only PCs, and double checked to be sure they understood what that meant. Nothing untoward occurred during game play. Then, during Day Job rolls, the monk's player announces that he uses his his Patient Calm trait to get a 12 on his take 10 for Profession (Yoga Teacher).

Step by step, please, what happens next to everyone involved?

Very simple. provided that nothing else in session violated the Core-only restriction, I simply tell the player that the trait is incorrect, can not be used for this day job roll, and ask him to fix his character before the next session, and offer to help audit.

This presumes that this trait somehow escaped all of the double checking mentioned involved, and the player isn't simply cheating by announcing an illegal trait he actually did not have.

Corner cases are exactly what they say on the tin. We can't expect to account for all of them in advance. Quite frankly they will be of far less of an issue in a Core campaign as opposed to PFS Unrestricted because of the vastly smaller rules set.

Grand Lodge ***

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Roleplaying Game, Tales Subscriber
Sebastian Hirsch wrote:
Dafydd wrote:
wellsmv wrote:
oathbow isnt in core rulebook...

What is this thing called an Oathbow described on page 474 of the CRB, pictured on 475 then?

As for the creation, yes, half price and can be done in stages. Note, it does need to be made from a Composite Longbow (STR +2) and can not be made from a +1 STR rating bow.

Price is
Arcane bond - Free - MWK Composite Longbow (+2 STR)
First Upgrade - 1k gold - +1 Composite Longbow (+2 STR)
Second Upgrade - 3k gold - +2 Composite Longbow (+2 STR)
Third Upgrade - 8.5k gold - Oathbow

That is what you would be paying, not how much you need in FAME limit.

Damn forgot that the FAQ was a thing:

PFS FAQ wrote:

Can I Upgrade a Named Magic Item?

Named magic items—including specific armor and specific weapons—are not upgradeable. Non-magic specific armor and specific weapons may be upgraded normally. Magic armor and weapons may be upgraded to named versions if they are the same basic material and shape as, and meet but do not exceed the enhancement bonuses of the named versions. Wondrous items whose names include a +X value (such as bracers of armor, headband of vast intelligence, amulet of might fists, etc.) may also be upgraded following the rules for upgrading magical items on page 19 of the Guide to Pathfinder Society Organized Play.

Upgraded versions of named magic items may appear on Chronicle sheets.

Intelligent magic items are not available for purchase unless they appear on a Chronicle sheet or are provided as part of a class or archetype (such as the black blade magus archetype)

Actually, and that is not relevant for the OPs question, what happens when a bow has the adaptive enhancemement (which does not actually increase the enhancement bonus) before you turn it into a named item?

Then you're stuck. because if you tried to make it an oathbow at that point, you'd be creating a custom version of a named item, which is specifically not allowed in the campaign.

Grand Lodge ***

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Roleplaying Game, Tales Subscriber

Clockwork isn't really tech, it's an ersatz form of magic.

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Roleplaying Game, Tales Subscriber
James Jacobs wrote:
snickersimba wrote:

Could you explain more about why cosmo is treated like hes such a psychotic lunatic? I actually want to understand more about the paizo staff. Explain your coworkers as best as possible, before I accidentally offend one of them.

I apologize for offending you if I have ever done so.

Also, pathfinder needs some more comedic moments, like, how the iconics know eachother/what they do in there downtime and how they interact.

Mostly I just want to see merishiel beat the crap out of valereos

Perhaps because he has a weird name? Perhaps because of the way he comports himself on the internet? He's not really treated like a lunatic in the real world. It's mostly some sort of internet phenomenon that I honestly don't really fully understand the history of, since Cosmo is an upstairs person, and what happens upstairs is often hidden from the eyes of us downstairsers.

Now I'm waiting for the BBC America production of "Upstairs! Downstairs!, the Paizo Edition." I assume Cosmo would be played by Stephen Fry, and depending on your age, and five o'clock shadow status, you'd be played by either Tom Baker or David Tennant.

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Roleplaying Game, Tales Subscriber

I've just gone through Weather Storm Juno, and now someone wants me to join a club on a glacier. :)

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Roleplaying Game, Tales Subscriber

You may have missed it, but Paizo just put out a whole book based on this idea, the Monstrous Codex.

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Roleplaying Game, Tales Subscriber
Natan Linggod 327 wrote:

Excepting Native outsiders that is.

Basically , what if the Outer Planes were purely spirit with no physicality? And outsiders were the same?

The thought struck me after watching an episode of Supernatural. Angels, demons and various spirit beings are commonly portrayed as having no physical form. Instead they have to possess things to have much impact on the world.

So how would this change things in your games?

Keep in mind that Supernatural works with two differing constants from Golarion.

1. The world itself is generally mundane by comparison. Dragons, and Undead aren't something you regulary read about in the news.

2. Supernatural does much the way it does in order to minimise the SFX budget.

3. Alignment as we commonly use it, has little meaning to outsiders no matter where they come from.

The change would obviously mean ripping out and chucking a good deal of the Bestiaries. It would obviously lead to a lot more mortal deaths, as protecting the rights of the innocent is not seen as the primary concern that most Americans are raised on today.

Grand Lodge ***

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Roleplaying Game, Tales Subscriber
Nicos wrote:
I do not do PFS, But I'm surprised they didn't go Core+APG.

I'm not... leaving out the APG means excluding the most problematic class in the book, without having to be arbitrary about it. Also the APG pretty much wipes out the "old school" feeling of going Core only. I've always seen the APG as the starting point at which Pathfinder truly left 3.5 behind.

Grand Lodge ***

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Roleplaying Game, Tales Subscriber
Game Master wrote:
I'll admit, I have high hopes that this will, somehow, improve the community. It could work... but it's a gigantic risk. This is dangerous for PFS. It's not a risk I'm comfortable with the community taking.

I see Core as addressing a need that many have expressed a desire for. I also don't see the need to think of this as splitting the community. It's still the same game, just a more restricted set of house rules.

Grand Lodge ***

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Roleplaying Game, Tales Subscriber
The Fox wrote:

Suppose there are 9 of us in this local group (this is actually realistic, I am prepping to run a table for 3 tonight parallel to the table of 4 that my friend is running).

Absent of the CORE campaign, there are two options:
Wounded Wisp (Tier 1-2);
Of Kirin and Kraken (Tier 7-11).

The nine of us will need to work out who sits where. But at least we have two choices of tables for shuffling butts in chairs.

With the CORE table added, we still have only nine players. So only two tables are going to fire. If one of those is the CORE table, then we have removed an option for those uninterested in playing in that campaign. If someone has already played the scenario in the normal campaign, they will be walking home without a game.

That's why I encourage most groups to work out an advanced signup policy, and most individuals to live up to any commitment they sign up for, whether it's for Judging or Playing. That way you pretty much know who's going to be seated and for what. Worse case scenario: No one makes a trip for nothing.

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Roleplaying Game, Tales Subscriber

I would say that the spectral hand pretty much operates like the Hand of the Acolyte ability. so it's spring forward and snap back doesn't provoke but it can be attacked by those who specifically aim for it. i.e. a wizard who knows what's happening, and flings a magic missile or three at it.

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Roleplaying Game, Tales Subscriber

My Chelaxian Summoner rarely hides his mark. In fact he frequently uses it to Intimidate.

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Roleplaying Game, Tales Subscriber
James Jacobs wrote:
LazarX wrote:
Ross Byers wrote:
Short of finding a high level Abadarite to cast commune, how would you get a paternity test?
Isn't this one of Pharasma's portfolios as the goddess most concerned with births?
Perhaps... although childbirth is not the same as lineage. Childbirth is a part of the life/death cycle, while lineage is largely a social construct, and as such that's more of a thing that a deity of cities or society or civilization would be interested in promoting.

Let me rephrase then, the wife of an important noble or king in the Inner Sea is about to give birth. Who is most likely to be called into midwife, and who to record the birth and it's lineage, and are they necessarily different people?

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Roleplaying Game, Tales Subscriber
Ramarren wrote:

I'll second the 'one parent stays home' option...that's how our group has handled it when children came into the mix. If you have more than one campaign going, then each parent participates in one campaign, and trades off.

Quite frankly, I think BOTH parents should stay home for awhile. If they're both gamers, it's unfair to have one be shackled with the responsibility while the other plays. After a suitable time, they can alternate or hire a babysitter for the night.

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Roleplaying Game, Tales Subscriber
Decimus Drake wrote:
Something is only worth what people are willing or able to pay. It doesn't cost a hedgewitch anything to cast a remove disease spell and they're not going to sit there and starve because no one in the region could afford the arbitrary 150gp price tag. RPG economics frustrate me.

They frustrate you because you expect them to be simulationist whereas the real purpose of RPG economics was to make players spend all the gold they churn up adventuring. Unless you're determined to build a campaign where the latter is changed, there's no way of reconciling it with the former.

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Roleplaying Game, Tales Subscriber
Ross Byers wrote:
Short of finding a high level Abadarite to cast commune, how would you get a paternity test?

Isn't this one of Pharasma's portfolios as the goddess most concerned with births?

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Roleplaying Game, Tales Subscriber
James Jacobs wrote:
messy wrote:

what can you tell me about this?

if you were to compare iggwilv's personality to that of a well-known person (real or fictional), who would it be?

Ha! Villains was my first published book. I had a blast writing it; it's filled with a LOT of crazy freaky bad guys and bad gals, many of whom were somewhat inspired by my home campaign setting. As a result, if you read through Villains, you'll see NPCs who bear more than a striking resemblance to, say, Queen Illeosa, and you might see a few familiar names, such as "Sandpoint" or "Krune," although used in different ways than they ended up being used in Golarion.

Iggwilv's personality would probably be closest to ... hmmmm ... maybe a combination of Baba Yaga, Cersei Lannister, and Ailester Crowley, I guess?

The only time I've ever seen Iggwilv expressed as a character, was in Gygax's Gord books. Did you read those?

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Roleplaying Game, Tales Subscriber
Fergie wrote:

1: Don't believe everything you see on TV, including the news reports.

2: Our legal system is full of BS and very heavily dependent on money and race. Many cases are settled for big money with a gag order and no admission of wrongdoing.

In the case of Cosby, I look at the women coming forward and try to judge their honesty, based on many factors including what they might gain or lose from coming forward. However, celebrities, politicians, and advocates are often targeted for smear campaigns, or outright set up for crimes. Since these people often live in worlds of fantasy (fame), and have a lot to lose, it is generally a lot harder to establish truth then with normal people.

EDIT:
"In early March 1966, several media outlets, including The New Republic and The New York Times, reported that GM had tried to discredit Nader, hiring private detectives to tap his phones and investigate his past, and hiring prostitutes to trap him in compromising situations.[17][18] Nader sued the company for invasion of privacy and settled the case for $425,000. "

Hoover's FBI did much the same with Martin Luther King and Malcom X. They got absolutely nowhere with Malcom, and not that far with King either.

Grand Lodge ***

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Roleplaying Game, Tales Subscriber
graywulfe wrote:
LazarX wrote:
Imbicatus wrote:
LazarX wrote:


It is an everyone wins situation.

Except if you want to play one mode and the only games available are the other mode.

or maybe the game store only hosts D+D 5th, or GURPS, or HERO, ad nauseum. it's a choice for players and DM's who want something other than a campaign full of freak races and freak classes.

if you've been one of the ones complaining of "rules bloat", or the expense of buying suppleents, this is the campaign for you.

And after a post like this, "...campaign full of freak races and freak classes", people wonder why some of us have concerns about the change.

Seriously how hard would it be for you to stop being insulting to people who like things you don't?

I never said that I disliked any of the new classes or races. I'm playing a grandfathered aasimar oracle myself. I'm not particularly fond of the fact that the number one reason for playing a Samsaran is for it's use as a cheesing vehicle.

But there is something to be said for a campaign that reflects a more coherent simplfied choice of races and classes, and the folks at Paizo recognize that. Now some folks may be worried that their local GM will just go and chuck off PFS main in favor of core. I don't see it as that likely a problem but some local mileage will vary.

But that's not a reason to withold this choice from those who might want to experience it.

Some of you folks need to learn to separate my opinions about mechanics from my opinion (which is generally none) about the people who do enjoy them. In other words, if you're taking my opinions personally, then you have a need for some critical self-examination.

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Roleplaying Game, Tales Subscriber

There isn't any past tech that comes close up to the sentimental meter as those portable radios that used 9 volt batteries. The most important thing about that radio and the earphone plugged into it, was how it liberated me from the music choices of my parents.

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Roleplaying Game, Tales Subscriber
Marroar Gellantara wrote:

Video

How would I mimic this real person's abilities with PF mechanics?

What you need to do is define those abilities in PF terms. The only relevant translations are his rate of fire and the fact that he moves as he shots. Also keep in mind that his stunts aren't involving real combat.

If I'm not mistaken there is a feat callled Shot On the Run?

As for his rate of fire... you'e already got the tools in game.

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Roleplaying Game, Tales Subscriber
James Jacobs wrote:
Guang wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Guang wrote:
Thanks much for the answers to my other two questions. Surprised and delighted at your take on Triaxian seasonal tolerance.
No problem... although I'm confused as to why you'd be surprised at that take.
Because of the general consensus that the most recent product has the most updated information. I had been disappointed that they might have been nerfed, and very glad to see that that was not the case.

Most recent is USUALLY a good thing to go by... but in this case, since the earlier one is more tied into an entire adventure where it's more likely that the rules weren't developed in a vacuum is important as well.

Rob would probably know for sure, but again... the RIGHT answer is the one that lets the natives of Triaxus live on the planet without dying. Because if they can't live there without dying, then they wouldn't be there in the first place.

Ladies and Gentlemen, we have rediscovered the Antropic Principle! :)

Grand Lodge ***

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Roleplaying Game, Tales Subscriber
Jeff Merola wrote:
LazarX wrote:
pauljathome wrote:

Currently a Core only character cannot know their ethnic languages. Mike is considering changing this.

My purpose in starting this thread is to encourage Mike to allow all Golarion languages without requiring any boon or for him to create some sort of trivially available boon. I want to be able to play a Varisian or a Shoanti or whatever in Core who can speak their own language.

Note, I am NOT asking for any mechanical benefits except for language. No region specific traits, weapons, etc.

If you agree, please favorite this post.

When was the last time an ethnic language came up as an issue or even of use in PFS? It's a Core campaign, which mans we're not even dealing with Tian Xia.

I can think of four scenarios off the top of my head in which knowing Osiriani or Ancient Osiriani help tremendously, as well as one in which knowledge of Hallit (or liberal use of the Tongues spell) is practically mandatory for completion without having to murder a bunch of innocent people. I also know there are a whole bunch more that I can't recall the names of at the moment that are a lot easier if you can speak one of the regional dialects.

** spoiler omitted **

I can also think of several scenarios where a language deficiency was managed by not resorting to violence, either by fudging via pantomime or making use of a decent Linguistics score.

By the way, Ancient Osiriani is not an ethnic language, unless the origin of one's character involves a time machine.

Grand Lodge ***

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Roleplaying Game, Tales Subscriber
pauljathome wrote:

Currently a Core only character cannot know their ethnic languages. Mike is considering changing this.

My purpose in starting this thread is to encourage Mike to allow all Golarion languages without requiring any boon or for him to create some sort of trivially available boon. I want to be able to play a Varisian or a Shoanti or whatever in Core who can speak their own language.

Note, I am NOT asking for any mechanical benefits except for language. No region specific traits, weapons, etc.

If you agree, please favorite this post.

When was the last time an ethnic language came up as an issue or even of use in PFS? It's a Core campaign, which mans we're not even dealing with Tian Xia.

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Roleplaying Game, Tales Subscriber
Hawkmoon269 wrote:
LazarX wrote:
Only one person can get play credit for running the same character. So yes you can have your multiples if the GM allows it, but the character can only be registered to one person who gets the credit.
That might be true for pathfinder role playing game, but this is a card game question (though I think it was posted in the wrong forum originally and moved).

The question I responded to was originally in the PFS forum.

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Roleplaying Game, Tales Subscriber
maddog555 wrote:

Hello all

FYI I am very new to to the game and the forums.

I have just bought the base set of skulls and shackles based on word of mouth from a friend. Is there a cheap app on Ipads that people use to keep track of charcter cards and have more than rise of the rune lords characters, or will have to use excell?

Also, we have two people that want to play the same character on the same game together. Is this allowed? Again this is part of the reason why i need question one sovled.

Thanks for your time
Maddogofwar555
"Cry Havoc and release the dogs of war"

Only one person can get play credit for running the same character. So yes you can have your multiples if the GM allows it, but the character can only be registered to one person who gets the credit.

If they want to play two separate characters that look alike, that's another story.

Grand Lodge ***

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Roleplaying Game, Tales Subscriber
Imbicatus wrote:
LazarX wrote:


It is an everyone wins situation.

Except if you want to play one mode and the only games available are the other mode.

or maybe the game store only hosts D+D 5th, or GURPS, or HERO, ad nauseum. it's a choice for players and DM's who want something other than a campaign full of freak races and freak classes.

if you've been one of the ones complaining of "rules bloat", or the expense of buying suppleents, this is the campaign for you.

Grand Lodge ***

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Roleplaying Game, Tales Subscriber
andreww wrote:
LazarX wrote:

There are no losers. It's essentially like playing Pathfinder Society in Season Zero when the CRB was the only Player Book out.

The standard PFS campaign is still out there if you want a cart load of books available for character creation. The core campaign makes winners of those who want something more old school.

It is an everyone wins situation.

I am talking about characters, not players. Restricting things to core only clearly does make a difference as to which character options are more or less viable.

Of course it does. no one is arguing that. It's a restricted choice campaign, that's no disagreement. It means you don't get to make aasimar witches, or Tiefling gunslingers, or Oread monks.

But it's still a campaign and a viable one, just as viable as it was in Season Zero. Viable is not the correct word... Available is more like it.

Grand Lodge ***

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Roleplaying Game, Tales Subscriber
andreww wrote:

So, what do you think will be the main effects on character creation and development of the Core campaign? Who are the winners and losers, what tactics have to change, what key options are no longer available?

I

There are no losers. It's essentially like playing Pathfinder Society in Season Zero when the CRB was the only Player Book out.

The standard PFS campaign is still out there if you want a cart load of books available for character creation. The core campaign makes winners of those who want something more old school.

It is an everyone wins situation.

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Roleplaying Game, Tales Subscriber
BigNorseWolf wrote:
Commie Goblin wrote:
So Captain Caveman, when his material and sexual needs were met, lived in relatively peaceful, egalitarian, sexually promiscuous bands. And when they weren't, he behaved beastly?
The problem is that for a male human "sexual needs fulfilled" is almost an oxymoron. The number of kids a male human can have is practically limitless. There's always a drive for more with more partners, and more resources to attract more partners.

The only thing we know about "Captain Caveman" is that most about what we were sure of, whether it was scientific guesswork, or popular television tropes is pretty much been found lacking in the face of new knowledge. What we are finding is that they were a lot less bestial than we took them for, that we have found skeletons of people who lived to a painful old age and obviously survived because of support either tribal, or familial. For all we know, outside of lacking language, they may have not been much different from many later Amerind or African tribes.

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Roleplaying Game, Tales Subscriber
BigNorseWolf wrote:
Don Juan de Doodlebug wrote:
I don't know about any of that (could bump the post where I say that sociobiology is out of my expertise)

Its not that hard. Or rather its so soft of a "science"? Discipline? that its hard to be conclusively wrong.

The fact is that we are a product of evolution.
We are a sexually dimorphic species.
Behavior is just as evolved as anything else.

Different sexes* have different optimal behaviors for spreading their genes. I don't think its a coincidence that these are the behaviors that tend to show up a lot in a lot of different societies.

What exactly is the point? Is the fact that we're dimorphic mean that we're on a rubbish goose chase when it comes to the idea that women shouldn't be marginalized because they're women? That they should simply shut up and go back to the kitchen?

Rape may be an excellent way to spread genes. A lot of animals do it, including our chimpanzee cousins who also make sure their genes win out by killing off any infants that aren't their own by any chance they get. Female chimps have their own evolutionary response to that behavior, but I digress. Note: Chimps aren't cute and cuddly. In fact get one of them angry enough, and you'll find that he just might tear your bloody arm off.

I always thought the reason that Humans were supposed to be special was among other things our behavior isn't solely determined by our genes.

1 to 50 of 29,789 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

©2002–2015 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.