|1 person marked this as a favorite.|
Since it seems like people don't use XP all the much what do you do when you have a player who does almost nothing. They are like murder hobo or something close to that. Then you have the player who does extra things like draws a pics or has a deep background for the character.
Do you have rewards for that? What are they?
I had one GM who would reward with Universe Questions. You could ask the universe any question or favor and you get it with no questions ask and no GM trickery.
It was also hard to get them and you really couldn't bank them to use them later.
I use a variant on hero points.
Ways to earn a hero point? (no maximum, unlike paizos version)
1. Write a background for your character
2. Draw/create/obtain a character portrait representing your character
3. Create a free standing nametag integrating your character portrait and your name that can be seen and read across a table
4. Painting/obtaining a specific miniature that represents your character
5. Writing an in character journal entry recounting the events of a session.
6. Be particularly helpful to the dm in some fashion (judgement call, but things like going out of your way to pick someone up, picking up stuff, bringing something I need to the game, putting in extra effort at setup and cleanup, etc)
7. Do something especially awesome or amusing in game.
Things you can do with a hero point.
1. Change any player rolled die to a value of your choosing. The player must consent to this change.
2. Prevent any character from dieing, they are unconcious and stable instead.
3. Get a hint or other guidance from the gods in line with some current task.
4. Make some minor narrative alteration to a situation, like stating that you remembers your bow, even though its usually slung on the saddle of your horse that you didnt bring. Or that obviously you keep your extra lockpick in your boot. Or, clearly you wouldnt have gone to the formal ball without changing out of your dirty bloodstained adventurers closed. Stuff like that.