Any update on how the combat chapter is going?
Zero progress. (I fly out to Houston tomorrow to start my new RL job, so that's kind of been my focus right now, along with taking care of the new baby.)
However, I did manage to start with the Leopard stats in the Bestiary and independently derive the lion, tiger, dire lion, dire tiger, lynx, caterwaul, arctic cat, and swamplight lynx using existing templates and/or class levels. I was so pleased with the results that I went on to do bears, wolves, octopuses, squids, and a few others. It's incredible how much more satisfying it is to use existing rules to construct monsters, rather than just throwing some abilities together and ballparking some numbers on a general table (as in Pathfinder). If the combat chapter ever gets done, I'll for sure need to write a Chapter 9: Monsters.