I don’t think this is a matter of anyone being a huge @$$hat. But I am surprised that CommandoDude framed this as an immobile GM vs. reasonable player request. He describes me as both being unreasonable to his requests but also “he's been super reasonable about things before.” (bending rules, adding desired treasure to loot, etc..) So I think the observation that I won’t “bend all the rules to their personal powergaming style” is probably apt. My thought was that he would come here and gather information on what other players do that we could use it in a resolution.
It was my mistake to tell him to go to the boards and see what other gamers say. I should have done that myself. That was my mistake. Live and learn. I plan to take this up with him at our next game session and the “purchasing problem” will be resolved at the table. I already have some ideas for a compromise.
If anyone would like to contribute information that would be useful, I would specifically be interested in what works at YOUR table. GM and player perspectives appreciated:
1) Do you use magic item shops? If so do you roll for item availability?
2) Do you use the settlement purchase limits?
3) Do you use random magic items in shops for the specific reason of providing items that exceed the limit?
4) Do you allow unrestricted crafting? If there are restrictions what are they?
5) If an item is in a Paizo book. Does your GM always allow it? Are there ever discussions over overpowered items? Does your GM ban certain items?
6) Does your GM allow custom items? (for example: Custom slot less (+ 4 STR scabbard) or out of standard slot items (a +4 INT BELT) or downgraded items (the above mentioned +1 Celestial Armor.)
I would appreciate a deviation of the discussion from my GM’ing or CommandoDudes motivations (as I think people are reading a lot into it), and a focus on information that we can use in our game.