Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
About Paizo Messageboards News Paizo Blog Help/FAQ
Shiyara the High Mediator

Kelsey MacAilbert's page

Pathfinder Society Member. 3,356 posts (6,842 including aliases). 3 reviews. 2 lists. 3 wishlists. 64 aliases.


1 to 50 of 464 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

1 person marked this as a favorite.

I have this:

Spoiler:
Technology and Magic

Magic is technology. Low level magic items are very common, though magic items like tablets, torches, blood scanners, and heat vision goggles wear out every few months at most and need to be re-enchanted, and anything above low level magic is just too power hungry to use. Alchemical engines, which consume alchemist's fire to generate mana, are the primary means of generating power. They can either power a magical device directly or transmit the power over copper wire. Alchemical engines are powerful, but they are also extremely dangerous, and a trained professional has to be present at all times during operation. Trains, fueled by alchemical engines, are ubiquitous for travel between cities. For travel within cities, streetcars that take their power from copper lines are dominant, as the energy can be generated under supervision in a central plant instead of putting a dangerous engine in every vehicle. Bicycles are also very common, as are horses.

Inside the home, warmth and cooking is provided by safefire, which is an alchemical liquid that lacks the volatility of alchemist's fire. It will burn, but won't explode. Perishable food is stored in freezeboxes, which need to be periodically filled with alchemical ice, which is a liquid with a low freezing temperature that stays cold for weeks until the magic wears off. Food can be imported from almost anywhere in the world, do to the ease of cooling or canning it, so people can eat a varied diet at a comparatively low cost. People typically own tablets, which are polished wooden or metal boards with arcane glyphs. These glyphs allow arcane spellcasters familiar with a particular glyph to send audio and images to the tablet. This only works one way, so tablets cannot send information to other tablets, but this is a useful system that allows the dissemination of news stories, music, and theater programs to a massive audience. Different glyphs typically have different material at any given time. Person to person communication is provided by small magic mirrors, which allow the user to talk to and see another person who has a mirror.

Cosmetic magic has become part of society. Widening or narrowing a nose, changing eye color, reversing hair loss, making hair straight, curly, or wavy, changing hair color, making lips fuller or thinner, getting or removing tattoos, and such are not difficult changes to make using magic. Hair or eye color changes in particular are readily affordable. More involved changes like height changes, racial changes (switching from human to elf and stuff like that), weight loss, and so on are more difficult, and is very expensive. Racial change in particular is something only the wealthiest can afford. Short intensity spells like alter self aren't difficult, but to do this sort of thing on a permanent basis is. Of course, this is a boon to criminals, which is why records are kept of who got what for anything more involved than a color change, in case the police need to find the person later on. For high intensity procedures like race changes, the police have to be sent a notification ahead of the procedure, do to the chance that somebody might be trying to avoid detection. There are of course illegal cosmetic magicians who will modify things with no questions asked (if you are rich, that is), so this is certainly not a completely effective system. Still, it's surprising how many criminals get caught because they weren't smart enough to get their cosmetics done off the grid. As an aside, it isn't unheard of for racial or ethnic minorities with enough money to get facial tweaks to get some features of the majorities. Tieflings sometimes try this, but if you cut off their horns, recovery hurts a lot and they grow back.

This creates security problems, naturally. The most obvious solution is to ask people to place all magical devices in a bucket, then scan them for magic to see if they have changed shape or been effected by some sort of mind effecting spell. Another common security method is tattooing. Alter Self only reproduces the subject's tattoos if the caster knows about those tattoos, and magic means tattoos can be changed or removed. It is quite common for people in secure areas to have secret tattoos that change shape and location frequently (sometimes even weekly or daily for really high security stuff), and only reveal the tattoos to security personnel or coworkers. That way, if somebody is acting suspicious, they can be asked to show their tattoos. If the proper tattoo isn't present, it is a gigantic red flag. Another security method is to take blood samples from those allowed into an area (or specifically excluded), and use a device called a blood scanner to compare a person to the blood sample. If it is their blood, the scanner will be able to tell. Only Alter Self and Polymorph can change blood, so this is effective if one has the means to carry blood samples of specific individuals. The existence of disguise and mind control magic means that anyone who works with secure information is taught to be very paranoid about any sort of strange or unusual behavior from coworkers. Security tends to be extremely quick to detain people and examine them for mind control magic (a simple detect magic isn't enough, because almost everybody pings when you scan them with that), and codephrases are very common (like, you don't say the right morning greeting to someone, you get detained and questioned). Getting detained often is pretty much part of having a security clearance, as it happens to everybody. In fact, not having been detained in a long time is often cause to be detained. When people can take the form of other people without too much effort, facial modifications aren't hard to get, and mind control is a thing that exists and isn't horribly difficult, you need to have constant suspicion of everybody with a security clearance. There is also invisibility magic. Expect to see a guard wearing heat vision goggles if people sneaking around invisible is considered a security concern. In fact, heat vision is so effective and so readily available that invisibility isn't considered to be anywhere near the security threat that Charm Person or Alter Self is.

Not quite finished. Feel like I don't have enough magitech devices outlined here. Need more basic consumer goods. A while back somebody mentioned toys for kids?


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I took a look at the Midgard and Xoth campaign settings, and both contain a list of basic thematical facts of the setting at the front. I thought I might write one of those up, tack on the basics of the nine core races, add in some basic Vendalian culture, technology, and geography, and explain the flavors of the character classes and what house rules and third party material has been incorporated into the setting.

I have that thematical facts write-up and half the races, so that's half the work. Here you go:

Spoiler:
Alchemy and Arcane Magic are Technology

Low level alchemists and magewrights are ubiquitous in Vendalia. Magic items require a power source, which alchemists can readily provide in the forms of alchemist's fire and liquid lightning, allowing the production of a massive variety of consumer goods. Magical fertilizers and herbicides allow massive crop yields, while farm machines allow a few farmers to handle a huge field. Magical boxes keep food cold, and preservatives keep it fresh. Railroads connect the cities of the world together, while streetcars and alchemical steeds move the cities themselves. Magic allows people to talk to each other easily from across the planet, and allows the dissemination of music and theater to a worldwide audience. Physical appearances are easy enough for a skilled alchemist to modify, and factories produce a wondrous variety of new clothing fashions. Industrialism and urbanization have hit full swing, and standards of living and education are higher than they have ever before been. For the first time in history, the nation of Vendalia has more college students than it does farmers.

Vendalia is a Nation of Immigrants

The death toll among native Vendalians during colonization was massive, and most Vendalians come from families that have been present in the nations for a couple centuries at most. The nation is very multiethnic, with significant populations hailing from four continents and countless countries and races. Vendalia is a prominent power on the global arena, and the number of languages one can hear walking though a major city is nothing short of dazzling. The Vendalian national mythos is one of absorbing the best parts of all the cultures that live in the nation, at least until some unfamiliar or historically marginalized cultural influence pops up that is “corrupting the Vendalian youth”.

The Times They Are a-Changin

Vendalia is the middle of a massive wave of social change. The last two decades have seen a massive economic recovery from the destruction of the demonic invasion of thirty years ago, and this period of recovery was characterized by a desire for security, conformity, wholesomeness, and prosperity. Yet now many people, especially the young generations, are rebelling against this. They see conformity as stifling, unhealthy, and hypocritical, wholesomeness as a form of bigotry towards minorities, the paranoid obsessiveness with security as being aimed primarily at those who threaten only the social order instead of the demons, and the economic system as aimed at the success of certain groups. Many are protesting the treatment of aasimar, tieflings, elves, Manalis, Southern Litoshans, Native Vendalians, homosexuals, and transgendered people, and people are publicly challenging restrictive sexual mores, economic inequality, and educational inequality. The idea that witchcraft is inherently dangerous is also being directly challenged by many, who think ostracization actually causes many of the problems with witchcraft, and that witchcraft has much to offer society. War is a complicated issue among young liberals, who are divided between not wanting to send people to die in other countries and seeing demons as a threat to world peace that Vendalia needs to assist weaker nations with. The pro-war and anti-war factions fight viciously, even though young liberals usually agree on pretty much everything else.

The traditional haughtiness of the elves is being directly challenged by their own people, as younger elves are beginning to see serious problems within their traditional culture and work to change them. The massive elven migration out of elven lands is having a massive effect on other races, as elves are bringing their sexual and environmental mores to cities where they often form a backbone of social movements, which is ironic considering the fact that most of these migrants have given up on the traditional elven lifestyle. New styles of rock music that call for social action are very popular, and a lot of pop music is exuberant and rebellious. Modern dance is very suggestive, with the style called “go go” being especially sexual. Drug use is very common among the younger generation, often being characterized as a path to greater enlightenment and understanding. A fair amount of modern music is about drug use, and the government is very torn on how to handle the issue. Faeleaf, the drug of choice, is legal, but many want to change that, and illegal drugs with much more potent effects than faeleaf are beginning to see increased use. The subdued, formal clothing styles of last decade are being replaced with more colorful, showy, and informal clothing styles. People are even wearing dungarees as basic everyday clothes instead of work pants! Of course, a lot of people don't support as this rebellious nonsense, and are quick to decry the danger facing Vendalian society and to blame elves, minorities, and foreigners for corrupting their youth. A full blown culture war is being waged, and Vendalia is never going to be the same.

This is Not a Peaceful Era

Vendalia is currently involved in two foreign wars against demonic forces. Currently, volunteers are being used for these battles, but the possibility of conscription is being heavily debated as the wars get costlier and larger numbers of troops become required. Violent crime rates have been rising quite a bit recently, and people are getting increasingly frightened within their own communities. Some blame the growing media exposure of crime in general and sensational crimes such as serial killings for encouraging people to commit crime, others blame drugs, those of a political bent blame social liberalism or economic inequality, and some believe there is some sort of demonic influence involved. Regardless of the cause, violence is definitely becoming an ever bigger issue in Vendalia. The number of violent encounters with demons, fae, and undead is also rising, but that number dropped after the last invasion was beaten back and is currently at about pre-war levels. Whether witches are becoming more or less of a threat is up in the air, as it can be difficult to determine which demon, undead, and fae encounters can be attributed to witches. Also worrying is the rise of small movements of hardcore political extremists such as Anarchists and Collectivists, who sometimes feel justified in going so far as to use violence. They primarily target each other with bombings and assassinations, given that the two factions see each other as a threat to be removed before greater revolution can begin, but they do occasionally go after corporate or government targets, and people find that business extremely worrying. Organized crime exists, but it doesn't really get the attention it used to forty years ago. Most people are more worried about street crime, demons, and terrorism, even though organized crime remains a major issue in many cities. The media just doesn't pay much attention to it, which could suggest that they may not be impartial and incorruptible purveyors of news. The threat of riots hangs over most heated protests, as all it takes is a spark to set off long simmering social tensions.

Divinity is Not Well Understood

That some gods exist is a proven fact, but there are a large and uncertain number of them. They are known by multiple names across multiple languages, and whether groups of names refer to the same diety or different dieties is often uncertain. It doesn't help that some gods are outright fictional or horribly embellished and some exist largely as is told, and which is which isn't clear. At one point, the world was ruled by an organization of gods called the Celestial Bureaucracy, though only a minority of gods were ever part of this organization. The Celestial Bureaucracy did keep demons, witches, and magical monsters under control, but their rigid, uncompromising, violent, and racially deterministic style of government was not pleasant to live under. Ever since the Celestial Bureaucracy fell to human rebellion 150 years ago, the gods have been unable to get involved in the world, even those that were not part of the Celestial Bureaucracy and sided with humanity during the rebellion. The reason for this is a mystery. During the war, the angels (who were not nice creatures at all) were either thrown out of the Celestial realm and forced to live as mortals or killed. Those angels and their descendants became the aasimar. Tieflings are the descendents of relations between humans and demons. Both aasimar and tieflings face much social discrimination, but tieflings get it worse because of the active threat demons still pose. Gods do not provide divine magic to humans, nor do they speak to them. What happens when people die is unknown.

Witchcraft is Dangerous and Frightening

Witchcraft is comprised of divine and psychic magic, and its practitioners are called witches. It comes from collusion with spirits, demons, or other otherworldly entities, and even the practitioners don't fully understand how it works. Only witches can do such things as summon demons and create undead. They are far less common than alchemists and arcane casters, but often more experienced in the magical arts. This has led people to fear them greatly, and during the days of the Celestial Bureaucracy, they were put to death unless given express permission to practice their arts by the gods. The practice of witchcraft is not in and of itself a punishable offense anymore, but most people do not trust or like witches, and during times of public fear, witches can quickly become a scapegoat. The government tries its best to keep an eye on witches, though some question the ethics and legality of some actions, which amount to spying. The government is quick to hire witches because they are useful, and many witches feel that government service is an important route to social acceptance. The government doesn't fully trust its witches, though, and many witches absolutely despise those who sell out to the government.

Monster Hunting is a Job for Professionals

Weak monsters like goblins and zombies can be handled by local law enforcement, the army, or armed local civilians, but more powerful monsters need to be dealt with by somebody properly trained. The government has little tolerance for vigilantism or wandering sellswords, and maintains its own force, called the Vendalia Rangers, who handle any threat too powerful for the locals to handle. Rangers are a well known organization that has captured the imaginations of much of the public, and they have a reputation for deadliness and ruthlessness. After all, they don't usually swing into action if something powerful doesn't need to be killed. With violent crime rates increasing, social strife everywhere, demons and magical creatures very unlikely to go away, and Vendalian troops serving abroad in two foreign conflicts against demonic forces, the rangers are seen as very necessary, and are regarded with a mixture of respect, admiration, and fear. The rangers are sworn law enforcement officers, and are held to outrank local law enforcement if an issue involves their jurisdiction. Rangers are the focus of the campaign, as the players start out as 4th level members of the Vendalia Rangers.

Warriors Rely on Alchemy

Low level magic items like communicators, ice stones, torches, blood scanners, smoke pellets, heat vision goggles, alchemical grenades and ammunition, and the like are easily available and useful, but more powerful items take far too much power to be practical. The solution to this is to use alchemy to enhance bodies instead of relying on weapon and armor enhancement bonuses, or stat increasing magic items, essentially powering up the warrior directly instead of giving them ever more powerful kit. Games set in this campaign setting use the Automatic Bonus Progression system from Pathfinder Unchained to quantify the effects of alchemical enhancement.

The witch class got renamed and switched over to divine magic, but it is available in the setting. That detail belongs in the classes area which I have yet to write, though.

It should be immediately obvious which published Dungeons and Dragons setting has been heavily influencing my work, and which decade of American history I've been flavoring things with, or I didn't write it anywhere near well enough. Thoughts?

Also, I have an old weapon and armor list I wrote forever ago that should work perfectly. Here you go. Need to edit in that batons can deal nonlethal damage at no penalty, and I need to put firearms on the table (Early firearms are available, and they are simple weapons. You will see more muskets than you do crossbows, but recurve bows have remained highly relevant in military use do to tactical considerations I won't get into with this post.), but other than that it's good. One will notice that, while the mechanical values of wearing light, medium, or heavy armor haven't changed, the names and weights of those armors have. This is because Vendalia doesn't use much in the way of plate armor, outside of the occasional breastplate. Full plate just isn't around. I didn't want to gimp heavy armor dependent builds, though, so I changed the definition of what the armor categories mean. You will also see a few things like longswords replacing greatswords. Without getting into a massive tangent on how to properly refer to specific types of swords, I'll just say that longswords typically were two handed, and I prefer the name over greatsword, because it suggests a smaller weapon, and big honking two handed swords aren't really popular in Vendalia. Recurve bows are actually more common than longbows, because a proper longbow is taller than the wielder, and the military finds shorter but still powerful recurve bows are easier to teach recruits to shoot and more wieldy in difficult terrain. Not a lot of massively armored opponents around to thwack with them. To avoid a massive tangent about tactics, I'll just say that medieval, renaissance, and early modern military strategies aren't really used at all, because magical artillery is just too bloody effective against massed troops.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
UnArcaneElection wrote:

The answer to this depends very much upon how educated (or indoctrinated) the characters are supposed to be.

Relatively well. Children are expected to attend school and mass communication is a thing, so people tend to know about more than just their own community.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I'm writing for my Pathfinder campaign setting, and I'm finding that the biggest problem isn't coming up with ideas for the setting, it is providing these ideas to an audience in an efficient and non-overwhelming manner. I'm not quite sure how much information about races, technology level, the culture of the nation the game is set in, and the way magic works and how the character classes fit in needs to be provided prior to the game, and how much is overwhelming. This is especially vexing me because I don't use a standard medieval technology level or base the setting off of medieval cultures, and the game tends to stay within one nation (long story short, the PCs kill dangerous things for the government, so they don't leave the country much and are generally from said country, and this country needs a fair amount of detail). So, if you were to join my game as a player and knew nothing about my setting, what all would you want me to tell you, and how much information is just too much when starting out?


4 people marked this as a favorite.

I opened the window and now my apartment smells like the ocean, it's cool, breezy, and overcast out in the middle of an August day, and there is at least one public transit bus passing by my house every few minutes.

This is exactly why I wanted to move to San Francisco.

Oh, also did some thinking about my $1200 a month rent for a shared bedroom. When taking into account the fact that utilities are included in the rent rather than charged separately, the fact that I can walk to the university every day with ease, and the fact that I have no reason to buy a car or pay any costs involved with driving, that $1200 a month maybe isn't as expensive as it first looked.


7 people marked this as a favorite.

I think I might chat with administration anyway now that the anxiety is wearing down, so that next year I don't have to roll the dice again.

The townhouse is old and kinda shabby and beaten up, and there is a fire station across the street so you hear sirens a lot (at least we can rely on very prompt response if we ever need them), but we have a stove and oven (albeight ancient ones), I actually have enough room for my giant iron bookcase, and the location within the city is just perfect. It has its flaws, but on the balance of things, I'm happy with it.


22 people marked this as a favorite.

I moved in and met my roommate today. I was going to stay in the closet for a bit until I had a better handle on the living environment, but he brought up that he's gay to make sure it wouldn't be an issue, which made it a perfect time to bring up being trans. He has no issue rooming with a transwoman, and I don't have any problem rooming with a gay man, so it should work out without having to get administration involved. I don't know why I was so worried. It is San Francisco. And I do love this location. It's a townhouse, not a dorm, and we have a kitchenette with a big fridge, a stovetop, and an oven, we get a surprisingly big living room/dining room combo, and the Muni and Samtrans bus stops are literally right across the street from our front door. Ten minutes from our house is the Muni light rail, and we live right behind a shopping mall with a Trader Joe's (Great and affordable grocery store that I shall be frequenting heavily), a Teavana (TEA!), plenty of coffeeshops, and all the other good mall stuff. We also have a public library within very easy walking distance. And the ocean. You can smell it when the wind is right.

Anxiety passed. This will work. This will be good.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Did I say something I shouldn't have said?

Sorry for my inattentiveness. Preparing for the move on Thursday and catching up on some reading.

On the issue of getting a single room, I can't pay that kind of money, and the university has a massive housing shortage, so at this stage there aren't any more open rooms, and the waiting list is long. Chances are, I'm stuck where I'm at so long as I stay on campus. I still have to sit down with housing after the move, but it seems everyone's hands are tied at this point.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I'm older than either of my parents was when they started having kids, and I'm just now entering university. I'm 24. When my sister was born, my dad was 21 and my mom was 17.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I appreciate all the advice. Sorry I don't have time to respond to everyone. I guess the issue is that I wasn't comfortable bringing the issue up during housing application, and now that everything is set up I'd feel really horrible if I dropped this on administration right before classes start. Plus, I have some trust issues when it comes to authority figures (Ironic for somebody who is a bureaucrat at heart and in career choice.). I guess I shouldn't expect anything bad from administration at a public university in San Francisco, and I know full well they have trans inclusive everything policies, but the issue that I didn't speak up before now remains, and I don't think I'd have an easy time explaining the problem face to face. Anonymously is one thing, but sitting down and telling someone in person is terrifying. At this point, I feel kind of trapped in the situation for the time being.

Quote:
If you're going to say, Berkley, or another fairly liberal college in the San Francisco area, you are probably better than I was, going to the ag school in the middle ofoklahoma with the surprisingly good computer program. =)

San Francisco State Univerity. Might go UC for graduate school, but it'd probably be San Diego. Berkley doesn't have my major.

Quote:

the Diversity Office (if the university has one)

the faculty advisor for the university LGBT group. By going directly to the faculty advisor, you can probably avoid the sort of drama you are worried about with other students
They should be able to tell you how best to approach the situation.

So I need to find out who those people are.

I'll probably at least meet with the students to get a feel for things before deciding it's another dramafest. I'm worried it might be, but at the same time it very well could be a lot better.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
GreyWolfLord wrote:
Housing in cities is pretty expensive right now. 2400 in some cities are actually a GREAT deal! (some other cities, probably not though).

It's San Francisco. I don't know what else I expected.

Quote:
I'd be rather cautious however, presenting as a woman in a man's townhouse or in segregated housing...you think your family was rough...

I wouldn't call them rough, because I never came out. My paternal grandmother is a feminist veteran of the 60s culture wars who finds transwomen to be an insult to everything she fought for, and she's the closent to me at the moment.

Quote:
Depending on where it's at, that could be REALLY bad...like seriously bad juju. In, it may be better to live an hour or two away in someplace more affordable where you can have your own place and commute every day than to try that...type rough.

That won't save enough money (Oakland, San Mateo Country, and Silicon Valley are all expensive) to offset the daily harassment of the commute. If I live outside San Francisco, I need train access to the city, plus monthly passes for that system and MUNI. Two hours away with allowances for public transit delays only gets me to Mountain View, and I REALLY don't want to ride Caltrain into the city and then ride MUNI all the way across city two times every day. What I'm paying is worth it not to do that, at least.

Quote:
College males can be particularly biased, prejudice, and judgemental...and it only takes one to create a REALLY BAD day.

As bad as Job Corps males? Lived in a 60 student dorm where we weren't allowed to have bedroom doors for 15 months. Wasn't out as trans at that time, though.

Quote:
In either case, good luck. Don't mean to bring out bad news, or rain on anyone's parade, but if I were your parent (not that your parents would have this type of concern), I'd be concerned about your safety in a situation with that many unknowns.

They aren't paying for college, I don't live under their roof and haven't for the last four years, and I don't take advice from people who are so paranoid they flip out if their kid sees a picture of one American guy in an Islamic skull cap on an online messageboard and scream about how the NSA is going to see it and investigate them for links to terrorism and get stepdad fired from his government job. Yea. That's what I dealt with as a kid. Or their whole "You can't ever go to Denver without parental supervision despite living next to it because it's full of black people who will beat you and take all your stuff because you are white" thing. I was nineteen, but their roof, their rules. My parents get end-of-the-world worried about everything. They don't know I'm trans, but they'd be worried completely out of proportion, like they always are, and if my roommate were a racial minority they'd completely lose it.

Anyway, my parents can keep their concerns to themselves.

Quote:

You could be very lucky, but you could also be in literal danger. Or maybe I'm just overly concerned because of things I've seen in my own life.

Seriously, good luck, but be careful.

I can't disagree with that. I am, after all, not fully comfortable with this situation, and caution is certainly warranted.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

I'm moving to a new city, and I am all excited to get to present as a woman. Issue is, I don't have my own bedroom in my new apartment, and my roommate is a man. I've never met him and know nothing about him, he's just who the university assigned to me. Gonna make my intention to start presenting as female really interesting. I do hope he isn't bigoted or uncomfortable.

Oh, and our shared bedroom costs $2,400 a month, which we each pay half of.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I like vodka, because cheap vodka won't kill you like cheap whiskey will. I do love whiskey, it's just that you have to spend actual money to get something that doesn't taste and smell like kerosene. You don't have to do that with vodka.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I would like to mention something I REALLY want to see with Heroes of the Waves. I want it to be compatible with Heroes of the Jade Oath, Kaidan, and Razor Coast modified for early firearms, and of course with Heroes of the West, so I can combine all those products into one big Pan-Pacific horror/dark fantasy/Pirates of the Not-Caribbean mashup.

I would love your company forever.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I got a few things I'm not buying this instant, but will be buying. From 3PP, I've got:

Southlands
Southlands Bestiary
Lords of Night
Path of War Extended
Pure Steam Westbound
Heroes of the Waves
Whatever Talented Classes book Rogue Genius puts out next
Steampunk Musha
Kaidan Campaign Setting (Get ON that, Rite Publishing!)

For Paizo, I've got:

Bestiary 5
Horror Adventures

Also looking for some monster books to slap up there, but I have another thread for that.

What about you guys? What's on your pending buy list?


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I run modernish campaign settings these days, with monster hunting as a main focus. Always can use more of the bastards. I am particularly fond of the undead, fey, and evil outsider types, though I also like the cooler magical beasts and dragons. I am also fond of anything created by a curse. I already have:

All the Pathfinder beastiaries
The Monster Codex
The Green Ronin Advanced Beastiary
The Complete Tome of Horrors (1-3) and Tome of Horrors 4
Midgard Bestiary
The Kaiju Codex (A modernish setting with a major nation based off of Japan? Of course I have a ready supply of kaiju.)
A couple of the Super Genius Games mythic menagerie books. Undead, werecreatures, and constructs, to be precise.

As for non-bestiary books with monsters, I can't name them all off. In particular, I have:

Gothic Campaign Compendium
Heroes of the Jade Oath
Razor Coast

I also have some stuff from other D20 games that is at least somewhat compatible:

3.5 Monster Manual
Libris Mortis
Draconimicon
Legends and Lairs Necromantic Lore
Relics and Rituals Olympus
Oriental Adventures
3.0 Rokugan
Dragonlance setting and Bestiary of Krynn
Nyambe: African Adventures
Heroes of Horror
Deadlands D20 core, Way of the Brave, Gun, and Dead, Horrors of the Weird West, Way of the New Science, and Canada and Mexico setting books
Every Weird War II D20 book except Hell in the Hedgerows
D20 Modern Urban Arcana and Menace Manual
Monte Cook's World of Darkness

So, yea. Sitting on a lot of beasties. Still could use more, though. I'm looking for stuff in PDF format, not physical books. I want Pathfinder, but am willing to buy 3rd edition books or other material I can convert relatively easily. I would particularly like East Asian or South Asian monsters, monsters based off of Native American or Mesoamerican myths, monsters based on Mediterranean myths (I do include North Africa in that statement. I want Greco-Roman and Italian stuff, but Egyptian stuff that isn't mummies would be great.), sea monsters, anything with a heavy mad science, mysterious witchcraft, or occult vibe, and evil fey. I always want more undead and demons (I call devils, daemons, and the like demons in my setting.), and monsters based on spirits would come in handy. Also haunt books (I do own the Genius Guide to Horrific Haunts).


2 people marked this as a favorite.

I interviewed for an on campus job at SFSU today. Looking pretty good. Thanks to Job Corps and two years of working while in community college, I have a lot more skills and experience than most applicants.

Playing Watch_Dogs. Got it for free last year as compensation from Origin for screwing up my Tomb Raider order, and ignored it until now. I've decided to play the main character as a massively hypocritical, self centered villain who's putting his family in serious danger, murdering whoever gets in his way, even law enforcement, stealing innocent people's hard earned money, and putting civilians in danger (I killed an innocent bystander by opening fire on a fleeing domestic assault perpetrator on a crowded sidewalk, and I've hit four people with my car). When looking at the game through the lens that the protagonist is a very dangerous person who needs to spend the rest of his days in prison, the story totally works.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

I just houseruled that creating undead requires human sacrifice. Makes portraying it as irrevocably bad so much easier.

Then again, I also put all the healing spells back under necromancy, where they belong.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Aniuś the Talewise wrote:

I really want to houserule resurrection right out of my campaign, or at least make it mindbogglingly rare, so rare that you can't expect to resurrect dead players when you get to the next town.

Death is supposed to be special dammit!

Actually ontopic, dime-a-dozen resurrection doesn't happen in the games I play in with my group. I don't know if it's because we don't think about it or because the other GMs in our group grant full hit die and so we have a lot of hp and are seldom at risk of death.

I do ban raising, reincarnating, and resurrecting people. Hasn't really proven much of a problem, because the death rate just isn't that high in the first place, and if I TPK the group because I misjudged a challenge, I'll chalk that up to GM error and forget that whole session ever happened.

In the rare event a PC is dead, not to worry about replacement. I put the players in the shoes of government agents in every campaign setting I've written in, like, the past three years. That makes it really easy to replace dead characters in a manner that makes sense. The PCs' superiors assign somebody new to replace the fallen, and the PCs give that person information because they kind of have to. May not fully trust a rookie until they prove themself, but they'll work with who is assigned to them.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I bought Pure Steam from Paizo, so I presume so.

I will be purchasing it, naturally. Western settings are sort of my thing.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

The best is Coke, but only if it's imported from Mexico.

I'm trying to not drink soda, though. I'm fat, and science says soft drinks are responsible for a huge portion of American obesity.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Little Red Goblin Games wrote:
We can look into the African thing. To be honest, we write best about what we know and especially with books about specific cultures if they are mishandled it can come off as insulting (rather than being from a place of passion and respect).

Maybe spin Heroes of the West into an entire campaign setting, but also use Heroes of the East heavily? A Wild West setting with a strong mix of European, East Asian, Mexican, African American, and Amerindian themes would be sweet. California would have a much larger Chinese-American population without the Chinese Exclusion Act, so perhaps play up that angle, with a fantasy setting where such a thing never happened, and the East Asian demographic is much larger. Also needs the threat of war. Perhaps the West is British, not American (so add in some Australian flavor), and Britain might well end up embroiled into a Great War of sorts, which might well lead to raids on the West, since the Royal Navy is no longer capable of taking on all its rivals at once while protecting the Empire. But, the English should be hella Anglo-Saxon, instead of that Anglo-Saxon/French/Neo-Classical mix of Victorian England. Should also be much nicer to the Irish, treating that whole invasion business as unifying the islands into one people, all of whom are vital to the nation, and the Irish should be portrayed as not poor and marginalized for once. Also, after her tribe was massacred, an Indian witch became a necromancer, using the fallen bodies of her kin to fight for revenge. Later on, she became a lich, and is more interested in wanton slaughter than any sort of justice. She's a major threat. Setting also needs Eberronish magitech, because that just plain works.

If you make this, I will buy it. If you don't, I might well make it myself. I might make it myself, anyway. This sounds kinda cool.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Endzeitgeist wrote:
A Native American-inspired setting. NOT Wild West, but full-blown age of myth.

I'd certainly buy it. I'd probably modify it for a "Colonialism has come" story, a purpose for which I'd find a full blown age of myth Native American setting rather useful. It'd also be nice for a Native American setting to just, you know, be available in general.

Quote:
An African fantasy setting. There is not ONE such supplement out there for PFRPG.

I'd also buy this.

As an aside, do you use 3.0 content at all? Because Nyambe is pretty good on the African fantasy end. Should work rather well with Pathfinder if you are willing to do some houseruling to bump up the Nyambe classes and add in Pathfinder classes that fit the theme, in fact.

Quote:
Polynesian Horror.

Yes. I love Polynesian culture, and Hawaiian ghost stories are awesome. Attach it to Kaidan, add in Heroes of the West content, and it would be even more amazing.

Yet again, I'd buy it.

Quote:
South-American fantasy inspired by Aztecs, Mayans, etc.

My opinion here is the same as for Native American. I'd buy it and modify it for colonialism, and would be quite happy to own it.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Also want more Heroes of the West.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

My grandmother is probably going to die soon. She's been on a respirator for the last month, and today she got rushed into the ICU with an intestinal bleed and had most of her colon removed. She's got an artificial heart valve, so she can't go off blood thinners, meaning she's still bleeding and the doctors can't really staunch it. Her liver, heart, lungs, and kidneys are ruined by decades of alcoholism, perscription drug abuse, smoking, and obesity, which hinders her odds of recovery greatly. She's awake and lucid, but she's more likely than not going to die soon, and if she lives, she'll need 24 hour care for the rest of her life.

I feel weird right now. I'm not sad. I don't care about losing her. She beat my mother and her uncle, routinely got drunk or high and then neglected to feed her children, brought home boyfriends who were straight up dangerous, sided with the boyfriend of hers who assaulted my mother. constantly tore down my mother's self esteem and reminded her she was nothing, and maintained up until I broke contact six years ago that she was in the right with how she raised her kids. I used to want her to die in the most horrific agony imaginable for everything she did to my mother and uncle, and now she is (She's awake and lucid, but can't take painkillers bexause her heart is too weak.). Yet now that I got that wish, I don't want it anymore, and feel ashamed that I ever wanted it. I don't like her, I have no interest in seeing her, and I don't feel any sorrow at the prospect of her dying, but at the same time I have no wish for her to be in pain now that she is. It isn't going to heal any of my mother or uncle's wounds or make anybody get any justice, it just panders to a sense of bloodlust that serves no useful purpose.

I feel like a naughty child learning an important lesson right now.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Lilith wrote:
Aniuś the Talewise wrote:

Is Inquisition one of the games where you get to do gay romances? Cus I will play a woman and romance the heck out of her c:<

EDIT: Not that the character models will stop me. I have a tendency to make a male character, point my finger at it and say "That's a woman". Mostly because I want muscles and/or beard options.

You can have gay romances in all of the Dragon Age games, though I think it's handled best in Inquisition.

I'd object to that, at least so far as lesbian relationships go. Sera is hands down the most unpleasant party member ever to appear in a Bioware game, Josephine's romance plot is was way too cliche and embarrasingly sweet, and a Harding romance is only ever hinted at. Lesbian players seem to really get left out in terms of good romance options.

Also irritated at how none of the female companions are pleasant people to be around.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Kobold Cleaver wrote:
Or are we just talking rules debates and such where one person has a "rude" tone and is told to dial it back?

To be fair, I have seen a lot of people mentioning getting discouraged from discussion on stuff like caster-martial disparity and whether Paizo has made some errors with how they are handling new game content because of posters who get way too aggressive in their debating style.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

I'm starting to really like Occult Adventures. I've been revolving my campaign setting around a "low power but common magic" Pathfinder world that advanced itself to a modernish tech level (Alchemists and engineers cooperate on stuff, so magic and science are both responsible for technology.) and has professionals trained to deal with especially dangerous monsters, rogue witches, demons, and stuff. Occult Adventures has plenty of new toys I can use for that sort of game, so I am happy. I've also just gotten into Supernatural, which gives me worldbuilding inspiration for stuff that Occult Adventures has content focusing on.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Aniuś the Talewise wrote:

Whenever the subject of homosexuality or transgenderism is broached, the sparing human intellects of some instantly assume the most ingratiating posture of surrender imaginable.

I honestly wonder if this sudden and utter loss of rationality is related to "trans panic"

Which is actually a legitimate justification you can give for murdering a trans person in some jurisdictions. Disgusting, but true.

Some jurisdictions? I thought my state was the only one to ban the defense.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

And I wake up to find some bigot got my thread locked while I was asleep. Got to read the posts before the delete comes in, and they didn't even make sense.


6 people marked this as a favorite.
Aniuś the Talewise wrote:
Hello! My name is Aniuś and I'm a nonbinary trans person. c: I'd like to say more, but I can't really think of anything right now.

You know things about transgenderism in Anglo-Saxon and Norse cultures. I would very much like to learn these things.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Shadow Knight 12 wrote:
I feel I'm missing something. Has Paizo introduced another LGBT+ character? What's this thread you guys are mentioning?

I thought I'd make a thread asking people how they portray LGBT stuff in their home games, and some people had to rant about why they don't think it belongs in Pathfinder games. Granted, a lot of stuff got deleted before I could read it, so I'm not fully appraised on what happened.

As for my opinion on free speech, this is a private hangout. People who post here agree to certain rules on what they can say. Among those are not to be overly aggressive, not to be rude, and not to be a bigot. If you can't abide by that, you get shown the door. Only way to maintain a sense of community decency.


5 people marked this as a favorite.
Ashiel wrote:
I agree. It's a virtue, but it should not be some sort of social law that will require recompense because someone chose to be offended by something innocuous. It's a virtue, not a requirement, and that's a good thing. Sometimes people just need to grow up. You can call me any name under the sun until your face turns blue and purple and it won't phase me. In very rare cases are these sorts of things legitimately people attempting to be offensive and honestly I think this victim worship prevalent in our culture right now is both embarrassing and destructive to our ability to function as rational well-adjusted human beings (in other words I think it makes us look stupid and be stupid).

I'm sorry, but I can't see the victim worship culture from where I am. When rape victims are still frequently accused of having buyer's remorse or dressing in an inappropriate manner, bullied children are frequently told to just get over it, dead transpeople get misgendered, unarmed black kids who get shot are demeaned as criminals who deserved it, and people frequently deny that institutional racism and sexism aren't still prevalent, it doesn't really seem as though victim worship is our problem. I'm trying to get a feel for what your argument is, because it sounds to me like you want to say people on the recieving end of transphobia need to just shut up and deal with it, and I know that isn't the type of person you are or what you believe.

Quote:
This reminds me of an episode of Law and Order: SVU that I watched. I was bothered and angered by the story and felt righteous indignation for the character. That's kind of the point though (I was pissed for days thinking about the episode as it resonated strongly) as it made me feel and think about things (it's also one of the first instances where I found some of my less aware family members feeling strong feelings about these things instead of just thinking "weirdos").

That might be a method of facing pain that works for you, but what works for you doesn't work for everybody. Some people have your reaction, but others just want to play an entertaining game where they can get away from that s!@+. Watching SVU helps some rape victims feel empowered, but it makes others feel extremely uncomfortable and like they have to relieve their trauma all over again. No two people deal with trauma the same way. Also, what thejeff said.


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Ashiel wrote:
What I am angry at is the politically correct bullcrap that keeps us from having discussions as mature, rational, capable adults. We do not need to hide ourselves away and you and no other should feel afraid of saying something wrong. If anything, I hope this shows why trying to be overly sensitive is a veritable minefield in its own right. I'm tired of nonsense like trigger warnings. I'm tired of not being able to talk about the unique circumstances of transgendered people in D&D/Pathfinder/fantasy-mish-mash. I am not, however, tired of your metaphorical voice. It deserves to be heard.

At the same time, we also have to be careful, because, while political correctness can and does go too far, anti-political correctness is all too often just people getting pissed off because they can't make jokes about chicks with dicks fooling unlucky guys into sex without getting called out anymore. There is merit to the idea of trying to be respectful of people. It can go too far, and you are right that people need to make a deliberate effort not to be too sensitive, but being considerate of others feeling and experiences is a virtue, not a vice.

As for trigger warnings, I do agree with you that they are overused, but they have their place. As a storyteller, I like to cross lines. Portraying a story where a transwoman got violently gangraped and then sexually mutilated in a manner that will lead to a slow death in the hospital would be something I'd do. That kind of content is something that does need some awareness of who the audience is, because if you pull that sort of graphic content on somebody you didn't know was a rape victim, it could be a very unpleasant situation for everybody. Now, does bringing up most of the difficulties transwomen face require a trigger warning? Absolutely not. We aren't so fragile, as you point out, and most of your complaints on trigger warnings are about things I completely agree with. Some stuff like graphic rape scenes, however, does warrant a warning beforehand.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Apparently it's a gigantic surprise that the young woman from a poor household in a dense urban environment needs the help of the elderly grandmother who grew up on a farm to skin a dead rabbit. Imagine that. Also imagine the unusual fact that gutting something is a new experience for somebody from the city.

It is also apparently a surprise that the young urban woman did understand how to kill said rabbit effectively, because, shockingly enough, she does know how to read books.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Bleh. Cleaning a dead animal carcass is always nasty business, but somehow it's worse in your own suburban backyard. On the other hand, fresh meat is good, especially when the animal wasn't able to run (adrenaline makes the meat all gamey), and I think the local rabbit population may have just learned an important lesson about messing with Grandma's vegetable patch.

Also, my uncle is a moron.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Talonhawke wrote:
I love 3PP and am willing to give anything brought to me by a player a chance before telling them no.

I don't ban 3PP, but what I allow has to fit the theme of the setting and not introduce anything overly complicated that I haven't read. Path of War is okay because I own that, but if someone wanted me to implement new 3PP of similar complexity, I'd have an issue.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

So, does the PDF open up for digital purchase at Midnight PST on Wednesday? Because if that's normal practice I'm staying up late tomorrow to buy it.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
DM Under The Bridge wrote:

I support Jaelithe and his position that in running games located in a historical setting the beliefs will be of that time and place, and not of 2015 wherever and however we find ourselves now, and will not include certain groups that are active today.

Some will not like this, the attempt to be and play quite authentically (or even just partially authentically) in settings that are not familiar and everyday in attitudes and social politics. I am glad there are games that offer something different to our norm, and that is also what I try to bring in my many games. If there are problems with acceptance then words such as "this isn't the world we are used to" can help players to understand they aren't confined to the familiar but they also aren't located in the familiar (one of my players was struggling to play a medieval Japanese fisherman turned bandit robbing people along the silk road, but they learned how to make it work and developed a character straight out of the old story Water Margin).

One of the problems I find with transgender npcs being put into many games is if the setting is pre-modern and in that it is pre-anomie and pre the questioning of gender norms, roles and identity their inclusion, even as minorities, makes very little sense. If you are running a pre-modern setting anything close to being historical then including transgenders in significant numbers sounds like historical revisionism (my group of today was there!). Of course to get around this you can make your own setting where we see transgenders far earlier in modernity, or even in pre-modernity. Then Jaelithe is absolutely right and what we see is an example of a push of "their real world socio-political agenda" to get their people in places and times when they did not exist.

This brings up a very important point, however, in that it seems to me a lot of D&D settings, Golarion prominent among them, are not pre-questioning of gender norms at all. That is why women can have such prominence as warriors in large swathes of the world. Patriarchial norms still exist somewhat, but it is quite obvious that the setting is very modern on the issue of gender politics. This applies not just to Golarion, but to Forgotten Realms and Eberron. The three of those together shape a lot of the community.

Furthermore, since it does seem that we are talking about Golarion specifically here, I would also like to challenge the idea that the setting was ever really meant to be historical in an accurate manner, or authentic. Golarion certainly doesn't look like any historical period I know of, what with that eclectic mix of weaponry from centuries apart being used side by side, technology and society that is as Renaissance as it is Medieval, and an strange mix of Medieval and Modern social mores that seems quite common to the fantasy genre. Golarion certainly isn't historical at all. What with all the magic about and interventionist dieties, I would also not expect it to look like any particular period in Earth's history. Therefore, including transgender people in Golarion is not inserting them into a historical period in which they did not exist, because Golarion is so socially and technologically different than any period in pre-modern Earth.

DM Under The Bridge wrote:
I found paizo creating and placing a trans orc into one of their adventure paths to be very odd. Orcs are short-lived, focused upon reproduction and there has been no indication of gender dysphoria in orcs previously. That was once the case in Western society, as well. Orcs are so hetero they hurt countries with their numbers. The trans orc came across as tokenism, but one in which didn't fit with the setting that has been presented, but I suspect it will fit with the changing setting into which Golarion is becoming. One can deny there is an agenda, but paizo have been very clear in what they want to represent and add in the future (and they certainly defended placing the trans orc even though it did not fit with orcs as they had been presented).

I am not an Adventure Path reader, nor am I particularly fond of the way Golarion portrays Orcs in general, so I cannot comment here.

DM Under The Bridge wrote:
I think you are going to find very few examples on the historical ground you are also going to struggle to make it fit, i.e. rare anthropological examples of non-western tribes recognising a third gender is not the same thing as transgender in the peoples of societies today wanting to move between a gender binary that they feel on the wrong side of while feeling stuck in the wrong body.

I wouldn't call the occurence of third genders in non-Western society rare. On that token, we don't know a lot of the ancient European or even Medieval European views on the issue, and likely never will. With so many cultures and time periods, we just don't have a lot of surviving writings about civilian life, and the Medieval period is a thousand years of culture across an entire continent. More Medieval cultures existed than we can count, and we only know the gender mores well for a minority of those cultures.

DM Under The Bridge wrote:
Take the claims that "An estimated 2 to 5% of the population is transgender". This has not happened before. This wasn't the case in your grandfather's time and it wasn't the case before that. Their rise in numbers is new and very much a late modernity phenomenon, unless you can prove at least 2% of a previous culture's pop was transgender previously and in the relevant contexts
Actually, we don't know close to anything about how many people were closeted transgender people prior to the existence of the label. We can't really say the 2% figure can or cannot hold for any pre-modern time. It comes down to whatever it is that causes transgenderism, and we don't have a full answer to that question.
DM Under The Bridge wrote:
(third gender islanders doesn't matter if a game isn't set on those islands. Would you not agree?).

By the same token, Golarion is certainly not set in Medieval Europe, so the demographics of transgenderism in Medieval Europe would likewise be irrelevant here.

DM Under The Bridge wrote:
We should not just accept or advance the idea that transgender people have been present all across history and cultures without serious evidence to back up such claims.
Neither should we say they haven't. It is okay to not know things, and this is something we don't know. From a biological perspective, we cannot imagine that they did not exist, given that we know just enough about the causes of transgenderism to know there is a biological component, but we certainly cannot know how common they are, and we know almost nothing of how they lived.
DM Under The Bridge wrote:
Let us not let current political groups rewrite history. Of course without such evidence, putting them in historically based games does not fit. Hatshepsut wearing a beard to solidify her political power does not prove she was transgender when such a term does not seem to even have existed in that time. Nefertiti also took the authority of a male role, the Pharaoh, but had herself portrayed as a beautiful woman (as the perfect woman actually) and was a mother.

When portraying a game in a time period so far back, the only thing that can be done is to make educated guesses or artistic assumptions, because we have no idea whether or not Hatshepsut felt more a man than a woman, and we never will. There are endless gaps like that, and a lot of them go deeper. We don't know enough about Ancient Egyptian urban life to provide an accurate portrayal of any one time period in an Ancient Egyptian city. If you want to play there, you are going to have to take artistic license somewhere, and it goes far beyond Hatshepsut's feelings on gender.

DM Under The Bridge wrote:
With major recent changes, all I would like is evidence for the claims of what apparently was.

We cannot claim anything concrete on most historical LGBT+ issues. Nature of the field.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

When does Wednesday come? I may be broke, but I set aside the money for a PDF copy. I need this. Occult is exactly how I like magic. This could be one of the most important books for my worldbuilding, especially the whole thing about not having to use the standard Pathfinder magic system (which I may replace with Words of Power). I'm skittish as all get out having to wait through another four days before I can download it.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Lissa Guillet wrote:
The Doomkitten wrote:
Every once in a while, whenever I do a cis thing, I panic. "What if I'm not trans*?!!" I ask myself. Then, I realize a few things. A) The fact that I'm panicking about the possibility of being cis is a pretty big indication that I'm not. And B) The fact that I've considered taking a knife to my junk a few times in addition to seriously considering hormones offers some evidence for being trans*.
Been there. First point of advice, they need your junk to make your new junk. If you're trans you'll want it, if not you'll still want it. Also, by the time you get to my age, you'll look back and wonder a bit how you could internalize so much of the crap that society puts on women. Doing things that are not stereotypical female things is not a bad thing. There are things you have to learn to make good decisions on that but a lot of those lessons don't come without living your life that way for awhile.

I know that wasn't directed at me, but thanks. I needed to hear that.


3 people marked this as a favorite.

We had a pretty long thread about this a couple years ago, and much has happened in the LGBT+ world since then. So, I'd like to posit the question again. Do you portray these topics in your games? If you do, how do you do so? Are you happy with the way Pathfinder Adventure Paths and Modules handle the subject?

Personally, I tend to cover LGBT+ issues quite a bit in my worldbuilding, largely because I belong to the community. I much prefer industrial fantasy over medieval fantasy, and I portray social unrest, changing social mores, and protest movements as issues in my setting. One of the major issues being publicly debated in the acceptance of homosexuality in society. I also really like 1920s art styles, and this was a period where Berlin had a thriving gay subculture. I find that a good fit for my setting. I also portray the trans community quite a bit, often as something that gets conflated with the gay and drag communities even though this isn't correct.

I also like portraying societies with third genders that have some acceptance of trans people. Though, even societies with third genders can be bigoted. I wrote up one that is fine with transwomen, but not with transmen, because women acting like men is okay and therefore there is no necessity for a masculine woman to become a man and a woman who does so is incredibly strange and possibly deluded, whereas a man acting like a woman is not okay and therefore a feminine man is better off becoming a woman. This is, of course, based on a fundamental ignorance of what transgenderism actually is, as well as no small amount of misogyny, but that is the point. Just because a society has some acceptance of trans people and more than two genders does not mean it understands trans people or treats them fairly, or that said society can't have a large amount of sexism.

So, to me LGBT+ issues are part of the social fabric of the setting, and have a large role in urban culture and politics. What about you guys?


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I don't like medieval fantasy that much, at least as a worldbuilder. I play Dragon Age and Skyrim and Neverwinter Nights and have fun with them, but when I build my own worlds for Pathfinder I never go for something medieval.

I despise small sized races. That's why my worldbuilding never includes them.

I think guns do belong in fantasy, and I no longer build settings without them. I feel the same way about railroads and public transportation, but that's probably because I study Urban Planning and Geography with a focus on transportation in college. I'm so exposed to the subjects that I can't not include them.

I have no objection to Asian elements in my fantasy. In fact, I have few objections to letting some Anime elements bleed in, as long as it doesn't get out of hand or touch certain things like all the women looking or being underage.

I don't really go for traditional adventures. Most of the stuff I build is relatively high when it comes to development and industrialization and has competant police (at least in well settled areas). Adverturer behavior wouldn't logically be tolerated, and the government would of course have it's own professional monster and mage hunters to deal with things that get out of hand. I address this by making those government agents the player characters.

My worldbuilding tends to be pretty optimistic and look like something that'd be pleasant to live in, unlike the standard fantasy setting where peasant life is meh at best and harsh as hell at worst. Since things are pretty stable and prosperous, conflict comes from the idea that the constant efforts of government agents to keep monsters, demons, and rogue mages suppressed are what allows the world to be such a nice place. All that fighting and killing the players do allow the average civilian to live such a comfortable life.

I tend to look towards American history and geography a lot in my worldbuilding. Lot of advantages, especially in terms of making both Western Europeans and East Asians very easy to fit together in the same territory in a logical manner (which is something that is quite important to me), while opening up the game to Native Americans, Mexicans, Africans, Polynesians, and much, much more in terms of characters that have a well established place in the region they live in. An American focus also fits perfectly with my heavy inclusion of railroads and firearms, considering how much popular American history emphasizes trains and guns.


3 people marked this as a favorite.
knightnday wrote:
I really enjoy world creation. I'll gladly putter around with that and it can often be more fun than actually playing/GMing.

I am this in spades. I also enjoy house ruling more than playing.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
captain yesterday wrote:
Rosita the Riveter wrote:
TriOmegaZero wrote:
Cheesecake kitkats...
My room currently boasts an unopened bag of green tea Kit Kats and an unopened bag cheesecake Kit Kats. Also ginjo sake and Asahi dry beer.
Party at Rosita's, I'll bring some rivets, it's like the bedazzler of heavy construction :-)

Remember to bring the music!


1 person marked this as a favorite.
TriOmegaZero wrote:
Cheesecake kitkats...

My room currently boasts an unopened bag of green tea Kit Kats and an unopened bag cheesecake Kit Kats. Also ginjo sake and Asahi dry beer.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

We Americans need to adopt the term whinging into our vocabulary. Such a handly alternative to b&+&*ing without the gender baggage or vulgarity.


3 people marked this as a favorite.

If I'm a martial, the most optimal combat choice by far is to full attack every round. Even as a Swashbuckler. If I want a cool martial ability, I have to pick one or maybe two, and invest almost all my feats in being able to do those one or two schticks. A caster has neither problem. Plus, casters can typically outdo skill monkeys. Climb? Fly. Stealth? Invisibility. Linguistics? Know Language. Acrobatics? Dimension Door. Not to mention the ability to use save or suck spells that basically no sell characters.

That said, I do think there are solutions. Path of War makes me very happy, and I just got Spheres of Power, which seems so far to be a much better way of handling casters. If I combine the two...


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Aw, yeah. These Kit Kats have real cheese (⌐■_■)


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Kalindlara wrote:
I'll probably be back on flagging duty in a little while... I need food.

Why not eat the Spam? We seem to have plenty.

1 to 50 of 464 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

©2002–2015 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.