Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
About Paizo Messageboards News Paizo Blog Help/FAQ
Madjaw

Johnico's page

330 posts. 1 review. No lists. 1 wishlist.


RSS

1 to 50 of 330 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | next > last >>

1 person marked this as a favorite.

The conditions line is referring to things like Blind, Confused, and so on, not whether it will punch people on command. Punching people when told isn't a Condition.


I don't see any reason it wouldn't work.

Heighten Spell increases the level of the Mount for "All effects dependent on spell level", and Alter Summoned Monster just requires you to target a monster created via a Conjuration (Summoning) spell, which Mount is. It then changes the Mount to a monster summonable if you had cast a same-level Summon Monster spell, which Mount is now considered to be.


You would get three attacks. Rapid Shot and the Double Weapon give you one extra attack at your highest BAB.

So you'd go +6(BAB)/+6(Rapid Shot)/+1(BAB).

Keeping in mind that Rapid Shot and using the extra attack from the Double Weapon give a penalty to all of your attacks that I didn't account for above (I was only listing the BAB you'd have, no other modifiers).


Bjørn Røyrvik wrote:
The biggest issue I have is how some people seem to assume that all character options must be equally powerful. If the game is designed to have imbalances, it really is a feature, not a bug.

I certainly agree. Assuming that the game states upfront that it's designed to be imbalanced. For example, Pathfinder claims to be balanced but it's often very unbalanced (or at least makes no attempt to inform you that it isn't balanced). Ars Magica, on the other hand, is very unbalanced and tells you right at the beginning of character creation that it's not balanced.


Thanks! I think I can picture in my head how to draw that now. Having it rephrased like you did made it click in my brain for some reason.


I have a question regarding one of the abilities the Draconic Exemplar gets and I wasn't sure where exactly to ask it, so I figured here would work.

The Sweeping Breath Draconic Gift says that the user can "cause a cone-shaped breath weapon to affect a half-circle with the same range." How do you calculate a "half-circle"?


TheRavyn wrote:
Johnico wrote:
TheRavyn wrote:
Dustin Ashe wrote:

On second thought, as soon as my Jade Regent campaign wraps, I'm switching to 5e rules but staying with Pathfinder APs. I'll start Rise of the Runelords next.

Why not have the best of both worlds?

You're gonna like it. Converting RotRL to 5E is a breeze and we're having a blast. We just wrapped book 4 last week, and are now officially entering "high level" 5E.
Just curious, when did you start running Runelords in 5e? I feel like I saw you mention it earlier in the thread (or maybe that was Kthulhu? Darned people having the same avatars :P), but that's a lot of pages to go back through and find that specific post. :P

I want to say late November, early December. So roughly six months now. We play only 1-2 times a month for about 8 hours per session. 5E combat is so much faster than PF's we really chew through the dungeons pretty fast. I'm thinking another 4-5 sessions to finish the AP, unless things get a lot more complicated than they have been so far.

By the end, the party should be about 15th level, so I'm working on some homebrew stuff to take them the rest of the way to 20th (and possibly beyond). There's six more Runelords out there, after all. And a pretty cool test of a certain sort awaiting them in Absolom :)

So, about the same frequency of play (in terms of raw hours), but you guys are likely to finish it in something like half the time. Wow. 5e, you're starting to tempt me.

One more question, what would you say is the ratio of goofing off RP vs. progressing through the story for you guys, in terms of time? You've got me curious now.


When someone triggers and Attack of Opportunity, you only attack with one of your weapons.

Attacking with both weapons is always a Full Round Action (barring certain classes/class features that make it so it isn't).

As for why anyone would fight with two weapons? Because it sounds cool and there are a few builds that can make it pretty solid. Sadly, those builds are few and hard to do.


TheRavyn wrote:
Dustin Ashe wrote:

On second thought, as soon as my Jade Regent campaign wraps, I'm switching to 5e rules but staying with Pathfinder APs. I'll start Rise of the Runelords next.

Why not have the best of both worlds?

You're gonna like it. Converting RotRL to 5E is a breeze and we're having a blast. We just wrapped book 4 last week, and are now officially entering "high level" 5E.

Just curious, when did you start running Runelords in 5e? I feel like I saw you mention it earlier in the thread (or maybe that was Kthulhu? Darned people having the same avatars :P), but that's a lot of pages to go back through and find that specific post. :P


13th Age did something interesting with racial Ability Score Modifiers. Every race provides a *choice* between which of two stats you get a +2 in, with no negative. Then, your *class* provides a choice between two stats to get a +2 in, that can't be the same score as your race improved. Makes it so it's a bit easier to pick an unorthodox race for a class, because your class will give you a bit of a bonus to help you out anyway.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
pauljathome wrote:
Keep it fun. Try hard to read the table to see what THAT table thinks is fun.

And even more importantly, if you can't read the table, ask them directly.


It's the former, 15/15/10/5. The combat rules state that attacks occur in BAB order, and nothing in Rapid Shot contradicts that.


You could probably use Mutants & Masterminds. It's a great system for super heroes.

I personally wouldn't recommend GURPS for most super hero gaming. It tries too hard to be realistic to feel like super heroes, IMO.


4 people marked this as a favorite.

It may have been the intent to cover foci, but the RAW says it doesn't.

It's not being overly literal to interpret "material components" to only mean material components. It is a distinct game term from focus, after all.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
The Saltmarsh 6 wrote:

And so another nail is driven into the coffin of gaming

You can not and should not be able to control some aspects of gaming just like in life

If some people on the internet not playing your way is enough to be considered a nail through the coffin of gaming, I don't know what to say.

This argument of "there are things you can't control in life, so you should just deal with it" is patently ridiculous, but I keep hearing it. I don't care if I can't control stuff in life. I'm playing a game (and not the Game of Life :P). I don't want my Barbarian to be permanently crippled in what I expected him to be able to do because of one or two or three bad rolls.

Stuff happening to kill my Barbarian in the course of the game? Fine. Being useless as a frontliner because I happened to roll a 1 on just a couple die rolls? Not fine.

I'm not saying you have to take the average or whatever. Keep rolling hit points if that's what you find fun. :)

But don't pretend I'm somehow a lesser gamer because I think this particular mechanic is bad.


I can't say I'm mad about being wrong this time. Always thought the Armor Spike thing was silly, and ignore it anyway.


So, basically, your method of preventing spellcasters from stealing the spotlight is to just tell them "nope, doesn't work" with no rhyme or reason?


Is there any idea when this'll be back in stock?


Close. The feat says that you use the chosen skill for the check to create the item. Therefore, you don't need spellcraft.

However, you are correct that the DC of the craft check increases by 5 for each spell you don't have.


D&D and Pathfinder being pretty high on the system complexity scale, finding things that are simpler should be fairly simple.

For anime, I really like Big Eyes, Small Mouth a generic system designed to have an anime feel. Haven't had much chance to play it, but I quite enjoy it. It's also got a lot of optional side-bars and rules to slide the complexity and grittiness up and down.

I've also heard good things about Ironclaw for furry type stuff. Haven't read it myself, however.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Well, if it is just a straight nerf, we just don't use it. We've already got the good Barbarian, after all.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Ayanzo wrote:
Kot the Protector wrote:
They did try to break down the door to the processor and ended up being attacked by the orcs, dark stalker, ettin, and Kulgara while they were all confined to the tiny hallway.

"Got Rouge?"

A well balanced party is the key to success :)

How will make-up help them survive the dungeon? :P


Bob^3 covered your poison question well, so I'll just answer the treasure one.

You are correct on all your numbers (CR3 at medium advancement = 800 gp, incidental halves it and makes it 400).

The gp value you're left with is the total gold for the whole party, not per person. Just remember to throw the occasional high treasure encounter at the party to compensate for the low treasure fights.

Let the players divvy up the cash as they see fit. If they're like most groups I've seen, they'll give everyone an equal share of the cash and hand magic swag to whoever needs it most.


I think Daneel was just bringing up Staggered since the GM used the fact that Staggered specifically says you can still take Swift/Free actions while being restricted to a single Move or Standard meant that Nauseated does not allow Swift/Free actions, since it similarly restricts your actions but doesn't include the language allowing Swift/Free actions.

As the others have said, by RAW, Move actions are it. No Swifts, Frees, or whatever else.


Secret Wizard wrote:
Remember, it says nothing about REDUCING the time needed to take a 20, which takes two minutes for Knowledge checks.

Not necessarily. Making a Knowledge is listed as not taking an action, meaning it takes no time. So, wouldn't taking 20 on something that requires no action take no time (since 20 * 0 is still 0)?


ryric wrote:
We let players take 10 on Spellcraft checks to ID items. It means the caster can just tell the GM "I get everything CL X and below" and we get on with the game. Experimentation to ID items could occasionally be fun but too often devolved into a checklist of common silly things to check. I'm not sad to see it go just like describing exactly how you search the room.

This isn't even something players need to be "let" to do. They can just do it. :)

In my game, I usually just assume that the highest spellcraft character takes 10, everybody else who can aids, then I tell them everything they identify with that spellcraft number, which is most things. The players then decide for the following days how they're going to try and identify the items.

Telling them "you identify all the swag except this one thing" usually gets them a little more interested in that one thing and learning what it is.


The ways I've seen it done (other than just taking average or average+2, that still involve rolling):

Player rolls and the GM secretly rolls. The player decides between what they know they got and whatever the GM may have got.

Roll normally. If you roll under average, roll again. Keep whichever of the two is higher.

I prefer the average or average+number methods, personally.


Look at Iron Body again. It says "you also become vulnerable to all special attacks that affect iron golems."

Negating Slow and getting healed, being positive things, doesn't sound like something one can be vulnerable to, nor attacks.


I can't agree that there's much wiggle room on that thing (whether it works), but I can see where you do.

I can agree that it shouldn't work. Because the GM should never say "okay, so a month passes" and then the Wizard does the Finger Pyramid of Evil and mutters "Eeeexcellent." :P


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Except that this literal reading of explosive runes doesn't work (the dispel magic thing). There's nothing in that sentence that says Greater Dispel Magic doesn't work, it's only explaining what happens if you screw up a dispel.

Also, yes, Greater Spell Immunity makes you immune to Dispel Magic, but not Greater, because it specifically says you are immune to the one chosen spell. There is nothing in Explosive Runes that says Greater Dispel doesn't work. Saying "you can do X" doesn't mean you can't do Y, when Y is something you could normally do anyway.

I can erase my sentence with the eraser on my pencil, but I could also use white-out if I wanted to.


Also, what Snorter said. If you have to contort this hard to prevent something you perceive to be broken from working... maybe changing the broken thing is the better solution?


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Celanian wrote:
To stop explosive runes abuse, just use a literal reading of the spell. It specifically states that only dispel magic and erase can magically trigger it. It does not mention greater dispel magic. That means you can only dispel 1 set of runes at a time. The precedent is like spell immunity which makes you immune to 1 specific spell, but not variants of the same spell.

Greater Dispel Magic says it functions like Dispel Magic. You're really grasping at straws here. Also, that line isn't there to explain you can disable Explosive Runes with Dispel Magic, since you could anyway. It's to explain what happens if you fail.


Celanian wrote:
Snorter wrote:

And on 'reading is a standard action':

If that were the case, it would make most runes, glyphs and symbol spells obsolete.
All one has to do, is stay active, while raiding an enemy territory, and you'll never have a standard action spare, to need to worry about such hazards.

Wizard: (pulls cover from ancient stone pillar) "Behold your DOOM! This site is protected by The Dread Sign of Azhogomemnon! It will drain your SOUL! Bwahahaha!"

Big Dumb Fighter: "Sorry, cant stop. Too long, didn't read. Take that"
(decapitates wizard)

Show me how a boxer is supposed to read a sheet of paper in his hand in a boxing match without the other boxer smacking him.

Ali: "Sorry Frazier, I need to read a text from my BFF for a moment"

Frazier: Punches out Ali when he looks down at his Ipad.

I keep coming back to this. You ask for rules cites and then never give one yourself. So, tell me where exactly the action required to read something is described? I don't care about your explanation for your assumption. Give a page number.


1 person marked this as FAQ candidate.
Celanian wrote:


4) You assume that reading an explosive rune is a free action despite multiple requests for a rules cite that you haven't responded to

I'd also like to note that you have yet to make a rules cite for your assumption that reading an explosive rune isn't a free action, either.


Agreed with Ipslore. Before trying to fix the fact that Martials don't suck when they can't Full Attack (which is a good thing and should be built into the core rules), look at what Casters can do first. Fix that.


Celanian wrote:

1) You had a mirror image up in the same round as a summon elemental. Your own words.

2) There are 2-5 images for a 5th level wizard. That's anywhere from 17 to 33% chance of a hit. That's not insignificant. And a charging monster has a pretty good range of attack..

3) Your house rules say that the elemental is literate. The specific rule in the bestiary says that it only has spoken language. Don't try and pass off your house rule that toddlers are literate as the actual rules. I'm sorry you don't like it and prefer a world where all toddlers are literate, but rules are rules.

4) You just admitted that you made an assumption. Now support it with an actual rules cite.

5) Multiple elementals with maximized runes as a 5th level wizard?

6) 6d6 is only 21 average damage. That's completely trivial for an eidolon at 5th level. The calculations are earlier in this very thread. And you're assuming the elemental is already summoned when handing out the rune. In an actual fight with a 5 round duration, you have to take a full round casting to get the elementals at all.

1) Mirror Image lasts minutes/level. Having it up before a fight is perfectly reasonable most of the time.

2) I wouldn't call a 33% chance to hit significant either.

3) Stop bringing up toddlers. You're the only one bringing them up, and only in an effort to make Anzyr's position look ridiculous. It's damn near the definition of a strawman. There's a huge difference between a 2 year old human reading common and a 30 year old Air Elemental reading Auran.

4) Care to do the same for your assumption that reading the letter "A" on a sheet of paper takes a Standard?

5) I'll leave Anzyr to explain that one, because I don't know either. :P

6) It's 21 damage that is getting through basically all damage mitigators (DR, Energy Resistance, etc.), with a 100% chance to hit. Regarding handing out the Runes, read Anzyr's post again. He's making no such assumptions and is summoning them the round the explosion happens. He's using Acadamae Graduate to summon as a Standard, then handing the Runes as a Move, so the Elemental can Move up and read as a Free.


If a monster isn't a character, then what is it?


I haven't read it myself, but there's a book line called DragonMech written for 3.5 that may be what you're looking for.

EDIT: Just noticed the line about not liking to buy things online. Keeping my post here just so you or others with similar ideas later can look at it.


There's a rule saying attacks score critical hits, but no rule saying Attacks of Opportunity don't.

Therefore, they do.

This is 100% houserule.


Mentioned in the OP, BBT. :)

Risen Demon wrote:
I can use any Pathfinder source book, but I am restricted to Core Races plus Orc, Goblin, Dhampir, Fetchling, Oread, Ifrit, Samsaran Sylph, and Undine.


There is one main official situational modifier: size. If you're smaller than your target, you take a -4 to the Intimidate check.


I picked up Star Wars: Saga Edition Freshman/Sophomore year of high school, and basically badgered my friends into learning the game with me. :P


Just keep letting them do as they are now.

If they're managing to succeed that often against things that much bigger than them, that means they've invested a lot into doing it. Let people who've invested a lot be good at what they want to do.


I haven't played them myself, but I know that these three modules are designed to be sequels to each other and form a complete story.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Timtao wrote:


This particular adventure has been a little construct and undead heavy. The player of the rogue PC might well quit!

Just as a side note, the adventure being construct and undead heavy shouldn't be making the rogue want to quit. Both constructs and undead can be hit with sneak attack in Pathfinder.


6 people marked this as a favorite.

If I could change just one thing about the Rogue?

*looks at copy of the Advanced Class Guide*

*scans and prints the pages detailing the Slayer*

*pastes said pages over the Rogue pages in the CRB*

That about does it. :P


He can use each one once per day.


Ragnarok Aeon wrote:

Well... First off fumble rules are a house rule, so that is something to defer to your GM about...

** spoiler omitted **

This isn't actually a fumble house rule. When you fail your disarm check by more than 10 you drop your weapon, and Joey's wondering if checking a 1 would automatically count as failing by more than 10 (since 1s are auto-fails).

I'd say that you still add your bonus to see if you drop your weapon.


We usually just play with dice for our minis like you do, and tend to set the number facing up on the die equal to how high off the ground they are.

When it comes to facing, that only ever matters for movement, and only ever matters during your turn, so I don't worry about keeping detailed track of it. Whichever way you start moving on your turn is the way you're facing at the start of that turn. My players are usually able to remember which way they come from, so it works well enough. :P


I haven't read through the Mythic rules, but:
When building an NPC, unless there's some sort of Mythic Template you want to apply to the NPC (I do not know if these exist), you build it just like a PC. This includes choosing a path, tier, feats, etc.

1 to 50 of 330 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | next > last >>

©2002–2015 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.