Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
About Paizo Messageboards News Paizo Blog Help/FAQ
Erudite Owl

Jim Groves's page

Contributor, RPG Superstar 2010 Top 4. Goblin Squad Member. Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Card Game, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber. Pathfinder Society Member. 1,764 posts (5,395 including aliases). 9 reviews. No lists. No wishlists. 1 Pathfinder Society character. 14 aliases.


RSS

1 to 50 of 1,764 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Contributor, RPG Superstar 2010 Top 4

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Steel_Wind wrote:
TL;DR -- I prefer more story continuity in my APs. This is my way of adding it in.

Sounds wonderful! Pathfinder groups are absolutely valid choices. I resisted "plugging" the PFS more because of the pushback from Shattered Star (where, rightly or wrongly, some groups chafed at being forced to be allied with the PFS).

I personally love the idea of the Society and I applaud your approach. There's NOTHING wrong with adjusting any AP to the taste of you and your players. Its the sign of a good GM.

There's a delicate balance to be struck between structuring the campaign too much and leaving it so open and flexible that it lacks something in terms of a campaign. This one doesn't start with a strong, driving agenda because its trying to set the stage. Some folks aren't sure what to think and some are resistant. I'll be curious to see how they feel by Book 3 or 4, and whether their opinions change at all.

Thanks for the comments!

Contributor, RPG Superstar 2010 Top 4

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Steel_Wind wrote:
For a group who can be that human pyramid to get them up to the shaft, the shaft does not present a "magic only" problem. Instead, it become a "group only" solution that a sole tomb raider cannot bypass. - especially with broken legs. :)

I admit, I never thought of that! I would definitely allow that level of ingenuity. Mine are only observations, not absolutes. I congratulate any party who thinks that up on their own. :)

Contributor, RPG Superstar 2010 Top 4

1 person marked this as a favorite.
mikeawmids wrote:
Jim Groves wrote:
mikeawmids wrote:
There are a rival group called the Amethyst Dragons listed in the necropolis...

That is an excellent plan Mike and a great use of the Dragons.

Really, I think that is awesome so long as the PCs have a way to proceed. Really there is no way to pull off that sort of extortion on the PCs, without the PCs having some sort of way to turn the tables.

If they do get stuck down there, the Pharasman clergy could always send someone like Ptemnib (from book 2) to help them get out, introducing the character earlier and giving the group a chance to bond before the events of 'Empty Graves'. They would later recognise the other group from their voices during the gathering at the Tooth and Hookah.

Also, regarding selling the sarcophagus - doesn't another group (the flickering four?) Do just that during the auction in book 2?

Not to be a wise guy, but I don't really get advance publication materials. I only just got my subscriber copy of #2 last night. :)

Edit: I did see a peek of #1, but after that I gotta buy them.

Contributor, RPG Superstar 2010 Top 4

Psyonis wrote:

So concerning treasure: Both sarcophagi in the adventure lists the gold plating and/or gems as treasure, but no value for the whole sarcophagus? I assume this is because of the razor thin line the Church of Pharrasma has told you not to cross? It seems to make more sense Museums and such would want to preserve and display them(gold and all), at least for Akhentepi, as he was a historical figure?

I know this bumps into the decree of "Honor the Departed"- but could we get the values of whole sarcophagi on a case by case basis? If the dead are honored with a collection/display at Museaums, I think that would qualify, right?

I see your point. Also, standard disclaimer, I speak for myself and not as an official voice of Paizo. Then again, I have insight.

Treasure assignment is somewhat both objective and subjective. Its objective in that we need to be providing a set amount of treasure so that players have a reward with which to buy gear. Its subjective in that there is no exact methodology on how this financial reward should be provided. It can be gold, art, magic items, or a healthy mix of lots of stuff.

Honestly? The sarcophagus is large and unwieldy and getting it up the shaft is going to be difficult. Some groups, like yours perhaps, might thank me for the level of verisimilitude that I might have introduced. Other groups might be annoyed that I tied up the treasure into what they feel is a big pain in the butt to deal with.

No foolin'. I wrote a PFS scenario where a small bit of treasure were these fancy ballgowns. Some guy gave me a bad review because ballgowns are heavy and annoying. :) Go internet! And I'm talking just a few hundred gold and his party could have grabbed them on the way out. I don't know what to tell you.

In this case specifically, a few hundred gold won't make your players overpowered. I would assign a 100 to 300 gp additional value. Whatever you personally feel is fair.

AND/OR... You could adjust that amount by the effort the players invest in recovering it without you pushing them. If they get into Knowledge (engineering) rolls to set up a pulley system to gently lift it up the shaft, and hire some hirelings to carry it, take that into consideration. If they make some Diplomacy / Intimidate checks to either smooth it over with a Pharasmin cleric (or remind them that Ruby Prince has their back right up until they interfere with business), take that into consideration. Set the value of the sarcophagus based on how much they work the problem.

As far as the Pharasmins.. I don't want to define their course of action. I think it is either subjective to your home game or up to someone higher up to try to specify their reaction. It is, after all, Akhentepi's coffin. That might be just a little too far. Or, maybe YOUR group might make a case on why it is not. If you're satisfied, then that is all that matters.

Contributor, RPG Superstar 2010 Top 4

mikeawmids wrote:
There are a rival group called the Amethyst Dragons listed in the necropolis...

That is an excellent plan Mike and a great use of the Dragons.

Really, I think that is awesome so long as the PCs have a way to proceed. Really there is no way to pull off that sort of extortion on the PCs, without the PCs having some sort of way to turn the tables.

Contributor, RPG Superstar 2010 Top 4

Psyonis wrote:

When I read it, I pictured A Cleric patrol happening by and investigating: either thief had fallen already or was mid-climb-when they cut it, heard the scream or not, and closed the doors, dooming the tomb robber for all eternity.

That said, I'm totally stealing that haunt!

I didn't plan on explaining what I intended, but that is my personal version of events to a 'tee'.

I believe the Necopolis has been looked after by the church of Pharasma over the centuries. Not maintained, but observed and kept sacrosanct as much as possible. This would be a good response to an unauthorized tomb raider.

Contributor, RPG Superstar 2010 Top 4

Hey Windspirit!

My reply was more terse than I intended. I was out of town at the time at the time. I think the haunt idea is really creative. :)

Contributor, RPG Superstar 2010 Top 4

4 people marked this as a favorite.
Windspirit wrote:
** spoiler omitted **

That was not a mistake, that was quite intentional. I actually put a quite of bit of thought into it that minor bit. It is left deliberately unexplained. The rope was cut and the tomb was resealed. Who did it? That was left open-ended for the GM to answer. Seriously.

And as GM, you don't need to explain it to the players. Once upon a time someone got in this tomb, fell from a great height after their rope was cut. Then the tomb was sealed up behind them. There they died alone and in the dark.

Let me explain why that is in there—the bottom of shaft opens into the center of the ceiling of a ten foot tall room. Let's assume the PCs use their own good rope to descend. Hypothetically, if the PC's rope gets cut, how the heck do they do they get out? How do they even "climb" up to get back in the shaft? Magic would be an easy fix with something like spider climb but at that point the PCs are solidly 1st level. Most groups entire life line will be the rope that the used to climb down and may the gods help them if it gets cut. That's what I meant by "passive deathtrap". A reminder just how vulnerable "adventuring" can make you. Now, as GM, just hint at the idea that other groups are roaming the Necropolis. Not a comforting thought, is it? Any one could just come in after you and leave you stranded in the dark.

Now let me be clear. I don't think GMs should threaten the PCs with someone cutting their rope after they've descended. That's a jerk move. Or rather, if they play around with that tension the GM better have a plan have plan besides putting the PCs completely at someone's mercy. Its not fun to be screwed by GM in such a way you can't do anything about it. Not what I intended.

But it is meant to be chilling, yet subtle, in the implication.

I can readily see the rope being cut at 3 feet, however, instead of five. Mea culpa. :)

Contributor, RPG Superstar 2010 Top 4

Darrell Impey UK wrote:

Call me weird, but I kind of want to turn the lottery into four rounds, and in either round two or three have the party investigate a completely empty building. No monsters, no treasures, no death traps, just a home who's inhabitants died of the plague.

As it stands, every building they enter contains something; always a monster, and usually something else too. It just strikes me as too much.

This could be an interesting addition to your home game, Darrell. One reason not to implement in the actual text is that all of our word count is dedicated to something useful. Not every fan would appreciate verisimilitude at the expense of content.

I don't mean this to come across as defensive. I think this is a fine idea for a GM to add to expand their game and add a little realism.

Contributor, RPG Superstar 2010 Top 4

Mr. Gerbik wrote:
Oh wow, dang. Thanks for answering dumb questions. This of course makes sense and changes... other things.

No, no... No dumb questions.

(Or, rather, you really have to work really hard at it to come up with one—)

We're happy to help as far as I'm concerned. We all overlook things and new people are introduced to the game all the time. No worries.

Contributor, RPG Superstar 2010 Top 4

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Alexander Augunas wrote:
Tell'em about it, Jim. snicker

Occam's razor, dear boy. He saw Faiths of Corruption and became confused.

;)

Contributor, RPG Superstar 2010 Top 4

Lirgeni lich Meyi Pahano is one to watch.

Do your research, boys and girls, like I do.

Her entry in the lich article in Carrion Crown (Chapter Six) is downright provocative, if you're a student of campaign lore, secrets, and conspiracies.

And no.. not just because of bone sages.

Contributor, RPG Superstar 2010 Top 4

Gancanagh wrote:

Ok...

BRAVO! This is one of the best starts of any Adventure Path i've seen!

Very cool artwork, very cool monsters (sandman/Agash) chosen for artwork!

ALL the new monsters in the bestiary are AWESOME! Really amazing!

Really nothing negative this time! Again Bravo! Hope to see this continued!

I'm very pleased. I say this with absolutely no sarcasm, I know you have very high standards and pleases me no end that we were able to make you happy. I hope you enjoy it! :)

Contributor, RPG Superstar 2010 Top 4

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Wow.. the authors have been named on the preview.

I can admit to this book!

Champions of Corruption too!

Contributor, RPG Superstar 2010 Top 4

I would not worry. An update to the product description doesn't usually signify a change of content, it's an opportunity to reveal new things that'll be inside the product.

Contributor, RPG Superstar 2010 Top 4

Awesome, I have been waiting for an update on this!

Contributor, RPG Superstar 2010 Top 4

chopswil wrote:
Jim Groves wrote:

I just wanted to offer my compliments on this program. I am going to run Mummy's mask: The Half Dead City (which I wrote!) in a few weeks. I am going to be using Combat Manager to assist in the GMing.

Thanks for all the hard work that went into this.

SUGGESTION/Question: Is there is a way to create a stabilization roll and subtract a hit a point automatically on a fail?

FYI, I just updated my DBs with this data.

These are used as the data source for Combat Manager.
Maybe we could get a data update for the Combat Manager soon...

That would be awesome! But I don't want to pressure the creators.. but that would be so cool!

Contributor, RPG Superstar 2010 Top 4

I just wanted to offer my compliments on this program. I am going to run Mummy's mask: The Half Dead City (which I wrote!) in a few weeks. I am going to be using Combat Manager to assist in the GMing.

Thanks for all the hard work that went into this.

SUGGESTION/Question: Is there is a way to create a stabilization roll and subtract a hit a point automatically on a fail?

Contributor, RPG Superstar 2010 Top 4

Cthulhudrew wrote:

Over in the "What Comes After Iron Gods" thread, a poster named Seth Parsons speculated that perhaps the next AP might have something to do with the Harbingers of Fate.

That got me back to thinking about my idea that "our master" refers to Aroden, and that this message might have something to do with that organization.

That makes a lot of sense. The folks over this thread have been making some strides too.

By all accounts, people have figured it out. I have also been given the answer, in a private message from a forum poster who was offering it as a solution to the puzzle and looking to me for more information. (And I checked their answer myself against the 5th edition PDF of the Core Rules. It does NOT require Inner Sea Gods, you just need an update copy or PDF of the Core rules. They figured out the answer but confronted the wrong person.)

It aint me. ;) Folks can accuse me all day long and it still won't make it true.

I AM nosy and curious though. But I don't have the time to orchestrate something like this. Although, it does remind me of the secret messages buried in the 6th chapter of every AP (down where the copyright and printing information is listed in tiny, tiny print). Maybe an in-house staff game to get the fans excited?

Though if it is, I got to admit that would make me really, really sad, because I have been the only freelancer who has really loved the Harbingers, since all the way back in 2010 when I used them in RPG Superstar.

Contributor, RPG Superstar 2010 Top 4

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Tirisfal wrote:
Update: I may have to wait 'til later to read it; my cat has decided that she likes your book more than I do, Jim :)

This is an obviously intelligent and sophisticated feline. :)

Contributor, RPG Superstar 2010 Top 4

That's okay Erik!

I did order two rolls already (my first Mummy's Mask session is coming up fast and I wanted to get an order in ASAP).

But this will be a trial run with this product. My friends rave about it, but I have never tried it. So two rolls is fine and I'll have this information for future orders!

Contributor, RPG Superstar 2010 Top 4

Mark Moreland wrote:
I got a PM from someone who seems to have cracked it, but I'll let that poster submit his or her theory publicly. I'm as intrigued by this as anyone else, but so far the best shot at cracking the code seems to be kept to my inbox.

I got a similar message, but I am abstaining as well. This pretty cool though. I'm tempted to follow the instructions but I'm too busy right now (plus I would be cheating off someone else's answer).

Contributor, RPG Superstar 2010 Top 4

Ross Byers wrote:
zylphryx wrote:

Though it would be interesting to run the cypher through the various core books based on the relative "age" of the gods listed, oldest to youngest to correspond to the core book number in sequence of publication.

So you would have the following gods:

Pharasma - The Bone Lands in a Spiral
Lamashtu - The Skull of Mashaag
Sarenrae - The Birth of Light and Truth
Desna - The Eight Scrolls
Abadar - The Order of Numbers
Calistria - The Book of Joy (Shelyn's is Melodies of Inner Beauty)
??? - Our Master's Book (I'm thinking Aroden ... based off the line "since our master left" ... which would make the title History and Future of Humanity)

I'm not sure your ordering is right. We have no reliable way of dating the non-ascended Gods.

No.. But you just made me think of something Ross. The gods are also used as the names of the month

Contributor, RPG Superstar 2010 Top 4

Alright Golarion Detectives.. I think we got a case here.

Somebody identifying themselves as 'guest' posted this in Paizo Chat last night. I ignored it, because I thought it was some goobledegook. Like those people that sign in for five seconds and post rickroll YouTube links.

But it's interesting:

guest wrote:

Since our master left, we have been reading other texts. Please consider those most holy to our new order:

Skull of Mashaag 247:1:1 --- The Bone Lands in a Spiral 43: 13: 7 ---The Order of Numbers 9: 22: 8 Our Master's Book 192:4:4 --- The Bone Lands in a Spiral 63: 8: 10 --- The Book of Joy 19: 19: 4 --- The Birth of Light and Truth 139:18:3 --- Skull of Mashaag 247:1:1 ---The Skull of Mashaag 224: 39: 1 ---The Order of Numbers 8: 31: 9 --- The Order of Numbers15:2:4 --- The Eight Scrolls 117: 34: 1 --- The Skull of Mashaag 339: 12: 10 --- The Skull of Mashaag 238:35: 7 --- The Birth of Light and Truth162: 36: 3 --- The Skull of Mashaag 224: 39: 1

This appears to be a book code.

All the titles mean something. Each are some sort of holy book, text, or device through which holy scripture is delivered.

The numbers are important. Forum poster Zylphryx had a good observation. He suggested a book code that follows the format: page, line and word.. But I have been unable to get it to work right.

At first I thought it might be the Inner Sea World Guide, but the page count is too low. So I reckon it must be the Core. But checking the first printing has yielding nothing.

I am freelancing right now, but this was interesting enough that I wanted to add it to my own personal Conspiracy Thread. (And I can Necro it. :P )

This would not be the first time that hints have been concealed somewhere, as evidenced by the riddle poem posted by James Jacobs that foreshadowed Reign of Winter.

Take a stab at it folks and I'll try later tonight.

Contributor, RPG Superstar 2010 Top 4

It can't be Inner Sea Gods, because its not out yet.
And Inner Sea World Guide's page count doesn't go that high.

zylphryx wrote:

no book, just nonsense and my own twisted imagination. First version I tried to stick with terms that would seem to come from relevant texts (holy writs of Lamashtu, Shelyn, Pharasma, etc.) ... as well as some filler words for the repeaters ...

OH!

I thought you actually looked those words up with your formula, because that made as much sense as anything.

Contributor, RPG Superstar 2010 Top 4

Zylphryx, which book are you using? The Inner Sea World Guide or the Core?

Because I tried it with the Core Book and got nothing but jibberish, but it just struck me that I have a first printing.

We're on the 5th or 6th now? Gonna check that in a bit if someone else doesn't get there first.

Contributor, RPG Superstar 2010 Top 4

On second thought, drink your bourbon Will.. it's.. it's getting cold.

Contributor, RPG Superstar 2010 Top 4

Thurston Hillman wrote:
Cheapy wrote:
Thursty, I say this with all honesty: You've beyond a doubt made my Paizo experience a lot better.
Now drink the damn bourbon, Cheapy!

No William, he slipped a mickey in it!

Contributor, RPG Superstar 2010 Top 4

N'wah wrote:

Earlier on the Paizo Chat tonight, some goofball posted this up. Thought it amusing enough to share.

user wrote:

Since our master left, we have been reading other texts. Please consider those most holy to our new order:

Skull of Mashaag 247:1:1 --- The Bone Lands in a Spiral 43: 13: 7 ---The Order of Numbers 9: 22: 8
Our Master's Book 192:4:4 --- The Bone Lands in a Spiral 63: 8: 10 --- The Book of Joy 19: 19: 4 --- The Birth of Light and Truth 139:18:3 --- Skull of Mashaag 247:1:1 ---The Skull of Mashaag 224: 39: 1 ---The Order of Numbers 8: 31: 9 --- The Order of Numbers15:2:4 --- The Eight Scrolls 117: 34: 1 --- The Skull of Mashaag 339: 12: 10 --- The Skull of Mashaag 238:35: 7 --- The Birth of Light and Truth162: 36: 3 --- The Skull of Mashaag 224: 39: 1

Interesting. Try googling those names, they all mean something. They're set up to look like a biblical reference, which makes a crazy kind of sense.

A code maybe?

EDIT: Ninja'd by N'wah

Contributor, RPG Superstar 2010 Top 4

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Thurston Hillman wrote:
Jim Groves wrote:
Thursty is awesome. A good friend and a great person to have to bounce ideas around.

I choose to acknowledge this message instead of the previous missive.

Of course, I also view it as an admission of defeat. Twas a good rivalry while it lasted. ;)

I deleted it while searching for a candlestick...

Contributor, RPG Superstar 2010 Top 4

11 people marked this as a favorite.
Hillman the Maniacal wrote:
Except that Jim Groves guy, he's still my archenemy.

o_0

Dear Kyle Baird,

I regret to inform you that I must cease being your archenemy. A pressing (albeit minor) matter has come to my attention. I have enjoyed our rivalry and if circumstances permit, I would not be adverse to continuing it a future date.

In the interim, there is a matter of pest control which demands my attention. If I might make a recommendation? Larry Wilhelm is lacking an archenemy. Don't let Larry's easygoing demeanor deceive you. I've been told he's good in a knife fight.

Best always,

Jim Groves

Contributor, RPG Superstar 2010 Top 4

Hey Awesome Customer Service!

I was going to order a roll or two of gaming paper, but someone told me that a certain number of rolls came on a box. Such that if I ordered four rolls at one time that I would save myself some money on shipping?

Can you confirm? And if they have it slightly off, could you tell me what a smart option might be? ('Cause if I save a couple bucks on shipping that means another roll of paper maybe).

Contributor, RPG Superstar 2010 Top 4

3 people marked this as a favorite.
Mr. Gerbik wrote:

Oh yeah those swarms can get nasty, eh? Some scarabs, right, right? Yes!

Good idea for the trial runs. It can be hard for me to predict where the trouble will arise, but a trial run would certainly help.

Thanks again for the help, continuously amazed by the community here.

There's also a spell trap in the first dungeon that uses the summon swarm spell. The thing to bear in mind there is that summon swarm lasts 2 rounds without concentration. There is no one to concentrate on the spell, once triggered, so the swarm disappears after having 2 rounds to harass the party. That was a design trick I devised to give the PCs a taste of the thematic Egyptian swarm encounter without having it be super punitive. Otherwise swarms are murder on low level parties.

After 1st level, however, the gloves come off.

Contributor, RPG Superstar 2010 Top 4

1 person marked this as a favorite.

After sleeping on it, I wanted to add one quick thing.

The word "trait" is one of those crazy sound alike words that confounds the rule system sometimes. After consideration, the OP is referring to an optional race ability. One in which you trade for drow immunities. I was starting to make the point about traits being a half-a-feat, and while there is some validity to that.. the same level of parity does not exist with a racial ability.

I wanted to call that out before someone else does and uses it as a means to try to dismiss my point out-of-hand. I think my logic holds notwithstanding.

When it comes right down to it, I believe the seducer alternate racial ability is a fair trade for drow immunities. It may not be the best suited for all drow characters, but that's why it is optional.

Let's talk about why I made that trade-off. Thematically, by exploiting the desires of others, you open yourself up to the same kind of temptation. The struggle then becomes for you to always maintain control while bending and breaking the will of others. Also, mechanically, offensive bonuses are usually considered more valuable than defensive ones. This combined with the ability to stack with the Spell Focus feats, I still maintain this is fine the way it is.

I think I have said all I could! Thank you! Good luck with and to the Design Team!

Contributor, RPG Superstar 2010 Top 4

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Hi folks!

I am going to step out of the shadows and identify myself as the author of the trait and see if I can help!

First off, I'd like to say that I am a freelancer. I can speak to my reasons for the design and offer my opinion. Jason Bulmahn and Stephen Radney-McFarland are the governing authorities. If they decide to alter the trait, I will not be upset. Nor am I offended by anyone who questions the design and has asked for a FAQ. No hard feelings whatsoever. The freelancer and the Design Team are partners and any freelancer worth their salt should expect to have their design decisions questioned and even altered for the good of the game. We all continue to learn and grow with the game all the time.

That said, I've reviewed what I wrote and I stand by it. Now I'll answer some questions and explain my reasoning.


  • Misprint or editing mistake?—No, the trait as you read it is what was intended. There's been no unintentional error here.
  • This trait is probably too strong now without improvement—Traits are supposed to be half of one feat. I want you to bear in mind that there is no ability score requirement to take this trait. As you're considering the first sentence, I want you to compare it to the Spell Focus feat. This trait is actually doing everything a full bore feat allows you to do, except you're locked into applying it to the Enchantment school. Plus! You can also apply it to spell-like abilities. Plus! It stacks with Spell Focus and Greater Spell Focus. That's generous for a start. Okay, let's look at the second sentence now. Compare just the second sentence alone to the Minor Spell Expertise feat in the Advanced Players Guide. My point is simply, the first sentence is a very nice trait for any drow character and the second sentence is a decent trait for some drow characters. Together they really equal to more than half of a trait. I know there are other concerns but this trait is hardly under-powered as it is. Even if you don't consider these to be true "traits" but racial abilities, I think you get a fair value for drow immunities (particularly since its optional).
  • Wisdom Requirement versus Charisma—My intention was always to demonstrate and reward the Wisdom ability score as the aspect of understanding the nature of others. As exemplified by the Sense Motive skill. To know the mind of your object of seduction is to know their desires, their quirks, and their kinks. Those hidden things that thrill, excite, and lure one's sexual prey into the web of lust, dominance, and submission. To say it another way, to understand your target is an aspect of Wisdom. To interact with your target is an aspect of Charisma. This trait seeks to bridge those two concepts and permit them to work in concert with each other. And! I think I have made a compelling argument on why, even WITHOUT meeting the WIS 15 for the extra charm person daily SLA, you're still getting your bang for the buck out of this trait.
  • Let's set aside the obvious and look at the campaign setting—I'm about to make some generalized statements. I'm saying up front that they're generalizations, and not absolutes. Male drow favor arcane classes and their personalities tend towards aggressive, militant, and direct confrontation. Female drow are usually in higher positions of authority and they're more inclined towards manipulation, politics, and social intrigue. They also favor divine spellcasting classes. So the gender group that is predisposed towards social intrigue also favors divine spellcasting, which often relies on the Wisdom modifier. Oh! But clerics don't get charm person?!? Well, now those conniving, manipulative, dark beauties can access the spell as a spell-like ability. I call that eight ball in the corner pocket. This was not accident. Does that leave the bard out in the cold? Yes. But a drow bard that must rely on this trait in order to seduce someone may have other issues. Again, let me stress, there are some generalizations taken for granted in this approach. I'm perfectly cool with male drow clerics who like to seduce people. As a freelancer, however, I am required to do my research. These roles are not genetic, they're cultural and canonical (and general). Articles in Second Darkness and the Darklands campaign setting book led me to these conclusions.

Zhayne wrote:
They may have made it key off Wisdom because Drow get a Charisma bonus, which would make it very easy to reap the extra benefit.

Bingo.

All these factors stated, I think this racial trait is fair and working as intended. If anything it leans towards being too good, not too weak. My recommendation is to leave it alone.

As a footnote, even without a WIS 15 ability modifier, this is a fine trait for a drow bard.

Any humor was intended to be light-hearted and not disrespectful. I welcome further discussion, however it might not be productive if *I* say too much more. (Sometimes a freelancer has to learn when to just leave a topic alone). I respectfully leave the Design Team to make whatever decision they see fit.

Contributor, RPG Superstar 2010 Top 4

Doc,

Spoiler:
It's a design error and the fault is mine. Now, a couple years later, I would catch this.. but it's just a simple mistake. I would just substitute another NPC class, or just look the other way.

Contributor, RPG Superstar 2010 Top 4

limnion wrote:

Jim,

I really appreciate you providing a little insight into the mind of adventure writer. I know it's small in the grand scheme of things, looking at one particular object in the inventory. I saw it, pondered the mechanics and wanted to confirm the thought.

No problem! I enjoy sharing! I was going to say I'm garrulous but I just looked that up and it's not all that flattering. :(

Contributor, RPG Superstar 2010 Top 4

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Mikaze wrote:
Crystal Frasier wrote:
No, but see: His last relationship ended tragically, and he's still in a lot of pain from that!
That's just going to encourage players even more!

WORKING AS INTENDED!

Just kidding!

Contributor, RPG Superstar 2010 Top 4

limnion wrote:
I thought so, and because it was a bonded item, it didn't seem like it was intended to be recoverable treasure. I just have a few folks who'll be disappointed after having fun with a similar item in Reign of Winter (although it was a little more potent in that adventure).

I understand. You do have the choice of just not telling your players that it was her bonded item (and therefore not meaningful treasure). I'm not being flip and I say this with a smile: you can keep that information to yourself, if you like. Really, in the grand scheme of things, a little bit of extra treasure isn't going to hurt your campaign.

That begs the question, from a design perspective, why do it? Why make it a bonded item in the first place? Well, designers are held accountable to use all of NPCs class abilities and a bonded item or familiar was an option that had to be accounted for. Since Azaz has a familiar and we're giving the Gm four and a half different unique stablocks to manage in a single fight, adding one more familiar didn't strike us as the best choice. Because we do look at treasure allocation and gear costs (though I don't recommend you try to reverse engineer it, because we make subjective adjustments and they're spread across multiple encounters) I was able to give Velriana a decent wand. That makes her a credible threat. Some of the feedback I personally have received is that my encounters (in past projects) could stand to be a little tougher. So I gave her a boomstick with some punch. :)

That's a long explanation but I hope it takes you backstage and explains my thinking while designing encounters.

Contributor, RPG Superstar 2010 Top 4

donato wrote:
PRD, Wizard Bonded Item wrote:
If a bonded object's owner dies, or the item is replaced, the object reverts to being an ordinary masterwork item of the appropriate type.

It sure seems like it.

That is a good quote Donato, but I think the previous sentence is even more telling:

PRD, Wizard Bonded Item wrote:
The magic properties of a bonded object, including any magic abilities added to the object, only function for the wizard who owns it.

Contributor, RPG Superstar 2010 Top 4

2 people marked this as a favorite.

I look forward to updates on this book (cover, contents). I expect it to rock! :)

Contributor, RPG Superstar 2010 Top 4

Laric, that's why we have spoiler tags! To make that possible! :D

If you click the "Show" button next to "How to Format your Text" when you create your post, it will show you how.

Here's an example:

Spoiler:
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!

They even work in the review section (which this is not), though I concede the point that spoilers might be reasonably expected there.

No worries! Donato is cool with me! So are you!

Contributor, RPG Superstar 2010 Top 4

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Tangent101 wrote:
Yes, that water tomb was hilarious. I especially love the bit about potential floating objects if you manage to open a certain door while the water is up. ^^;;

I wanted to make it a proper dangerous trap rather than an environmental hazard which complicates combat.. But the Core Rules assign an automatic CR +5 to water traps like that, which blows the curve for a low level adventure. That is an issue where I'm not sure that I agree with the Core Rules, however, because the holding breath rules are fairly generous, if there is time and means to escape or deactivate the trap.

I love it anyway!

Contributor, RPG Superstar 2010 Top 4

2 people marked this as a favorite.

I was inspired by a movie, so it is interesting that you said that. I was watching the Three Muskateers (2011) version with Milla Jovovich. There are some very cool traps in that movie, particularly in da Vinci's vault.

Now many people didn't care for the movie and there is a lot of anachronism, but if you set Dumas aside and just have fun with it, I found it quite entertaining.

I think your idea is great!

Contributor, RPG Superstar 2010 Top 4

donato wrote:
Nice things about the adventure

That's pretty cool! That's a great idea!

We should watch the spoilers though! I might flag your post for that reason but not because I don't appreciate the comment. In fact, this might be a good comment for the GM-Only thread in the Mummy's Mask sub-forum, where people prepping the adventure can see it. I can also share some commentary about that specific subject.

Contributor, RPG Superstar 2010 Top 4

archmagi1 wrote:

My favorite part of the AP so far? The use of NPC Codex for some of the other NPCS.

That and the Divs.

Thanks!

One of the great things about designing now is that Pathfinder has a really robust tool-set to draw from. I'm not saying this as a counter to Abyssal Lord, I'm fine with individual likes and dislikes, but we have a lot of resources to draw upon now. Its wonderful to take some of them and out them into play.

Contributor, RPG Superstar 2010 Top 4

5 people marked this as a favorite.

Posting hesitantly... but I wanted to add a comment or two of encouragement as well. I also wanted to add a mental incentive for starting freelancers.

I started with Paizo writing feats and spells. I did my best and worked hard and worked my way up. I was compensated, but it is times like this that I kinda feel like I got a degree from the University of Paizo—through hands on experience.

It's a good reason to throw yourself at your assignments and do your best, because that experience is very valuable.

Contributor, RPG Superstar 2010 Top 4

2 people marked this as a favorite.

Like Neil, I am biased. However, if I take the subject "Should we have fiction" out of the equation and just assume the fiction is here to stay...

I like this change! I flesh in a lot of detail that an AP cannot (due to word count, nothing more). I always have. If the fiction lends itself to doing that to an even greater degree—I'm all for it!

And I will be running Mummy's Mask and looking at the fiction. I definitely want to see this experiment run its course.

Contributor, RPG Superstar 2010 Top 4

7 people marked this as a favorite.
Mikaze wrote:

O_O

omg are you people passing my slashfic around at work I'm telling Lisa!

Hate to tell ya, Mikaze, but you posted this on the Paizo forums.

Lisa owns this hot mess of forbidden bibliophilia. OWNS IT!

She can sell popcorn and DVDs if she wants. ;-D

Contributor, RPG Superstar 2010 Top 4

6 people marked this as a favorite.
Gorbacz wrote:
I NEED TO GO TO PAIZOCON AND DRINK WITH MIKAZE UNTIL THERE WILL BE VISIONS.

Mikaze! I will be there and you will be summoned!

1 to 50 of 1,764 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.