|1 person marked this as a favorite.|
This is a project I had in mind for quite some time now... so might as well pitch the idea right now.
This is a topic to pitch ideas on how to make seafaring characters, especially pirate characters ;)
I'd like to take the opportunity to take that first post to highlight the basics, before you and I dive deeper into actual class builds and ideas :P
- If you plan on being an actual pirate, you're against the law, you live by your own rules and you couldn't care for the rest.
- For other seafaring characters, you can be of any alignment. It includes explorers and marine officers.
- Swim gets you out of a bind everytime.
- Knowledge (geography) is also useful.
- Survival is quasi-imperative
- If you can afford a ship, good for you.
- Water Breathing, Freedom of Movement and other such spells can save your life.
- Fire spells can be a double-edged sword, because it can't be used in water, and often resisted by aquatic creatures, but it's deadly on other ships.
- Light armors "lighten your load" while swimming.
- A backup piercing weapon is useful if you fight underwater.
P.S. Before you bring it up, yes, you can suggest stuff for the ninja :P
- It's an alternate rogue
- It can work for Tian Xian/oriental settings
- If you want to troll your GM with a ninja in a pirate-heavy campaign, might as well suggest you HOW to proceed XD
I can suggest really quick a few archetype ideas:
Barbarian: Sea Reaver, Mounted Fury (with aquatic mounts)
Bard: Buccaneer, Watersinger
Cleric: Travel and Water domains
Druid: Aquatic Druid, Kraken Caller, Shark Shaman, Storm Druid
Fighter: Corsair, Dirty Fighter, Roughrider (with aquatic mounts), Viking
Monk: Monk of the Four Winds, Sohei (with aquatic mounts)
Paladin: Divine Hunter, Grey Paladin, Holy Gun, Sacred Servant (with appropriate deity)
Ranger: Battle Scout, Wave Warden
Rogue: Bandit, Eldritch Raider, Pirate, River Rat, Smuggler, Swashbuckler
Sorcerer: Aquatic, Elemental, Marid and Stormborn bloodlines
Wizard: Siege Mage
Alchemist: Grenadier, Saboteur
Cavalier: Beast Rider (with aquatic mounts), Daring Champion, Hussar, Wave Rider
Inquisitor: Cloaked Wolf, Heretic
Oracle: Elementalist Oracle, Wave Mystery
Summoner: Naturalist, Synthesist (with an aquatic eidolon)
Witch: Beast-bonded (with aquatic familiars), Sea Witch
Magus: Card Caster, Eldritch Archer, Elemental Knight, Esoteric, Hexcrafter
Gunslinger: Bolt Ace, Buccaneer, Maverick, Musket Master, Pistolero, Siege Gunner
Ninja: -none- (no jokes, no archetype has written yet); Rogue archetypes could work though
Samurai: Sword Saint; Cavalier archetypes could work too
Antipaladin -none- (couldn't find any suitable one)
Arcanist: Elemental Master, Unlettered Arcanist (with aquatic familiars)
Bloodrager: Bloodrider (with aquatic mounts), Bloody-Knuckled Rowdy
Brawler: Steel-Breaker, Wild Child (with aquatic companions)
Hunter: Feral Hunter, Packmaster
Investigator: Conspirator, Hallucinist, Infiltrator, Sleuth, Steel Hound
Shaman: Animist, Witch Doctor
Skald: Belkzen War Drummer, Dragon Skald, Warlord
Slayer: Bounty Hunter, Cutthroat, Sniper
Swashbuckler: Daring Infiltrator, Musketeer, Picaroon, Shackles Corsair
Warpriest: Cult Leader, Mantis Zealot, Sacred Fist
Kineticist: Elemental Annihilator, Elemental Ascetic
Medium: Kami Medium, Relic Channeler
Mesmerist: Toxitician, Vexing Daredevil
Occultist: Battle Host, Reliquarian
Psychic: Mutation Mind
Spiritualist: Haunted, Shadow Caller
Vigilante: pretty much anything, since most archetypes grant a different identity.... which in turn mimics another class:
- Avenger: Fighter
- Stalker: Rogue
- Brute: Barbarian
- Cabalist: Witch
- Gunmaster: Gunslinger
- Magical Child: Summoner
- Mounted Fury: Cavalier
- Warlock: Magus
- Wildsoul: Druid/Hunter
- Zealot: Inquisitor