Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
About Paizo Messageboards News Paizo Blog Help/FAQ
Trumpet Blower

Herald's page

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Roleplaying Game Subscriber. FullStarFullStarFullStar Pathfinder Society GM. 1,371 posts (1,587 including aliases). 2 reviews. 1 list. 1 wishlist. 3 Pathfinder Society characters.


Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Me, I like it.

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Oops, I just discovered that it becomes very readable using the "reader" function of the browser. takes out the background color and improves the text.

Wish I could get the fat page to load in Reader. It would be so much better.

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

I know someone asked for this a while back, but it looks like it wasn't followed up on. There is no pinch and zoom on the iPad for this site. Speaking for myself, I find the site hard to read so increasing the font size would help (pinch and zoom could take care of that).

Also if there was a way to set the background to a more neutral background that would be awesome. I'm sure the parchment tone is really cool for some people, but it is another thing that makes it hard to read on a iPad, IMHO.

As always everyone else might not have a problem, it might just be me, or maybe others have this issue. I thought I'd bring it up.

Grand Lodge

3 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

I've... seen things you people wouldn't believe... [contemptuous laugh] Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those... moments... will be lost in time, like [small cough] tears... in... rain. Time... to die...

Grand Lodge

7 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Here is my fluff perspective.

Headmaster: So we have our new students do we? What do we have in store for us this time.

Professor: Well to start, we have three candidates from the same family all of them have a strong gift of magic and suitable for training.

Headmaster: Good enough, what can you tell me about them.

Professor: Well to start there is the oldest boy,...very smart, strong mathematically and incredibly focused. His gift for memorization is very strong.

Headmaster: Sounds like a perfect candidate for wizardry. simply done...

Professor: Very true sir, it will be easy to place him with a mentor..., then there is the youngest girl. She is a natural talent, very intuitive by nature and gifted with some otherworldly gifts. What she lacks in focus, she more than makes up in will.

Headmaster: A sorcerer then...why present them like this to me,... are you being cagy on purpose?

Professor: Oh no, by all means no... it's just the middle child, he's well he's very bright, but isn't as focus as his older brother, and he lacks the will of his sister... but he has the gift...

Headmaster: one foot in each world, eh?

Professor: I'm not sure I follow, it seems to me that even though he's suited for magic, he's bound to not master either...

Headmaster: And like most middle children, he should bother to try and be either...

Professor: So your saying that we should cast him aside? I'm sure that would be devastating to the family, to say nothing of how the children would react...

Headmaster: I'm saying nothing of the sort. What you have here is an Arcanist. Someone who doesn't quite need all the focus and will to be a very potent caster. He can be more versatile is more ways than a Wizard or Sorcerer can imagine. Where you see weakness, I assure you I see strength.

Professor: Really Headmaster? Surely you are jesting. I've read about Arcanists for quite some time, but I have never seen one successful enough to be legendary, and for the exception of this boy, I doubt that I have seen one at all.

Headmaster: One need not be legendary to be successful my good sir...I imagine that you will be seeing more and more of them very soon. I think you would be surprised as to the amount of Arcanists that are out there. Tell the children that we will be admitting all three to the academy.

Professor: But where will we find a mentor for the middle boy?

Headmaster: Isn't that obvious, it will be me...

Grand Lodge

3 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Just a word on Robin Hood/Errol Flynn Movies. The concept of Fighting with broadswords (and I use that term as I would from the stunt person's lexicon, we can start a whole thread on sword names latter) in the style that was used in those movies was at best wrong. Mostly because no one really had been doing that style of fighting in a long, long time.

What was still being taught though was sabre style fighting in many military and boarding schools. For the sake of movies it was very cinematic, and allowed broad sweeps for safety sake.

Since we really don't have a "sabre" (sawtooth sabre I rebuke you)in the game, the scimitar does a close enough reskin if you ask my opinion.

Broadsword and buckler was a very proper dueling style (and has an English tradition, but I'm sure it extends to other cultures too. So I'm inclined to see it used here as well. The fight style however is far from the sabre style and it is certainly more gritty and far from foppish.

It seems to me that rather than try and piecemeal what works and what doesn't work, can't we just have a swashbuckler weapon list?

Oh and if this class doesn't receive a Cayden Cailean PRC or Archtype, I'm taking my rapier and going home.

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Would love to be there. I known that this will be a blast!

Grand Lodge ***

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Well I can see that this thread has pretty much run its course. There are two sides to this issue and I can see where people stand but ultimately, there needs to be some transparency.

I come down on the side of no reskinning.

Simply for the sake of fun. Fun for the GM. It's hard enough to try and keep a game going at a Con with all the combinations of archetypes and the like when someone throughs a curveball with a re skinned creature. Witch familiars aside, has been prevented in the past, I don't see why it should be allowed now.

People often forget that the GM running the game is a volunteer and its just as much a game for him too. That person has just as much imagination vested in his/her game, if not more so, not to mention the obligation of keeping all the players entertained at the table.

GMs aren't in the position to cater to a player, they are here to facilitate a game for a group of players.

Lets drop the comments about slippery slope, if we want to have a ethical argument thread we can take that somewhere else. We're about one step away from Godwin's Law from being invoked.

Sorry if anyone feels like I stepped on anyones toes.

Grand Lodge ***

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Any time you have a concept of a shadow war, conspiracies and secret organizations, you are working under the concept that characters will need to do questionable things. Chances are that unless you play Silver Crusade, you just might do something underhanded, even if you play the do gooders from Andoran.

Stakes are high for the agents from the countries involved. LIves can and will be lost if somethings aren't discovered.

Using the Paracountess as an example, she is made to sound like she is evil through and through, but there is really now way for us as players to know if she is a full on Asmodian worshiper as she might be covering her intentions to keep from getting caught by House Thrune. It could, and should be expected that they want to protect themselves from a supernatural threat just as likely as any other country. Yes they could use the supernatural information as a weapon, but many Chelexians believe that the government is in control of the devils in their country and not the other way around. So when you are playing with a Chelexian, they might just be doing something that they think is patriotic rather than just serving Asomdeus.

Coming back to alignment issue, as a GM, i wouldn't strip an alignment or convert someone to evil for a faction mission. However, I think that playing a Paladin for Szarni or Cheliax is asking for trouble and sooner or later will more than likely violate the Code. Once again, I wouldn't automatically strip Paladinhood, I'd let the actions do the talking so to speak, so there might just be a player out there who could make it work.

FInally, I'd like to leave on this note. The course of a 4-5 hour game can't really cover deep meaningful insight to ethics. At best the entire arch of a years worth of games doesn't really do it justice either, but if all the adventures of the last year teach us anything it is this.

1) Player by and large like to play "good" guys. Andoran won as the completed the most faction goals. It's an assumption, but I think it is fair to say that players like making the hard choices to be good people.

2) Characters who like to play borderline bad guys are fewer in number, and buy my estimate, more l than likely playing for the "escapist" element of roleplaying. Part and parcel of playing a Chelexian is what can I get away with be for my soul becomes so tainted that I become irredeamably evil. So I let them do things that are questionable and try and let them find that line, often they find that they dial themselves back, long before I do. Plus Chelexian players turned in the fewist Faction missions. That says that these problems are spread thin.

3) Should a GM think that a Faction Mission is evil, They should submit something to the Pathfinder GM board spoilered and the VCs and other GMs and/or Paizo staff can comment on it. My guess is that we can hash it out. (chances are that it was not designed to be.)

Osirion

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Forlarren wrote:
Snip

Wow, touched a nerve didn't I.

OK, I was going to rebut this point for point, but the fact of the matter is that is just a waste of time. There is just no way that every choice a player makes in a game is based on their own personal ethics. It not an argument you can prove. Many people will make choices because it feels right. Many people will make choices because it will be less risky than others. Hell a lot of people will make choices because they think that it might be fun, but not all choices are logical. My argument is not specious.
As to of your Paladin “participating” in slavery or not, I can’t even begin to understand your point. I have no idea if you use Paizo’s setting or not, or one that’s a home brew, but if you exist in a society that has it, welcome aboard you are participating.
Find me anyone who has documented proof that “Lawful Good” is Enlightened Absolutism. I would like to have a look at Voltaire’s’ character sheet, I understand he could be a bit of a munchkin.
But here is the kicker, you can suspend your disbelief to ethically allow the excesses of a monarchy, but you can’t suspend it that someone else might have a different interpretation of a paladin.
And I have to admit, you are the only person I have ever met you started roleplaying as an exercise in Logic and creative fantasy. Hell I was playing it for fun.
Dude just like everything else in the world, everybody brings different things to the table. Very few people will be just like you. Ethics is not one road, but many roads.

Osirion ***

2 people marked this as a favorite.

My only expectation as a gm is that when I tell you that you are wrong, you will not pout. And you you will not counter GM me.

Yea, it happens....

Sigh...

At Gen Con no less...

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Joshua J. Frost wrote:
baron arem heshvaun wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Until then, it's probably safe to assume that they're all bisexual, I guess. ;-P
That explains Josh Frost's Ezren avatar's wandering eye.
Waaaaaaandering eyes, *clap* *clap* are watching YOU, they're watching your eeeeeeevery moooooooooove.

And the pain medication has kicked in I see.

Grand Lodge

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

I'm in favor of what ever allows me to get affordable legal PDFs in the first place. If being locked is what allows that to happen, I'm in favor of that.

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
KaeYoss wrote:
Cernunos wrote:
Herald wrote:

It's mostly a Q&A.

What is your name.

What is your Favorite color.

What is the appoximate speed of a swallow.

(The last one is kind of tricky.)

Is that an Azlanti or Garundi swallow?

What? I don't knoAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Congratulations! You have now unlocked Demi-God mode. You are now Jeff, Demigod of Biscuts. You are free to pick one one alignment based domain, one elemental domain and you are free to create a domain around the concept of your portfolio.

Sorry you got biscuts, the next one was going to be Raymondo, Demi-God of Awesome. Most of his powers were centered on doing really awesome things. Maybe you can try again in a thousand years.

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

It's mostly a Q&A.

What is your name.

What is your Favorite color.

What is the appoximate speed of a swallow.

(The last one is kind of tricky.)


©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.