Lord Cedric Barca wrote:
my experience on play by post you get more and a better game from people that optimize. They tend to care more about their characters and still around to play.
As a long time GM on PbP games, I disagree vehemently.
By Long time, I mean 3+ years in single games. Also @Eldred has been around for a long time too
I don't think optimization has anything to do with a successful PbP. In my own experience GM post rate/quality/consistency contributes about 80% and the other 20% is the players.
The GM has to be able to railroad, hard if necessary, to keep the game going. The GM also has to demand and expect participation from their players.
All optimization has done in my own games is give me headaches because then I have to redo statblocks and mess with stuff. Thankfully its not really a problem I have alot in my games, and I'll have much less of it when I start only doing 5E.
I run a 1.5 year pbp carrion crown game. 15pt builds and thier wbl is 3 when they are 5th level. Its going well.