Havrin Stahl stands approximately 6 feet 2 inches tall and weighs 190 pounds. He has black hair, dark piercing eyes, and tan weathered skin. He speaks softly with a deep, bass voice. He is typically dressed in worn travel leathers with a broad-brimmed hat.
Havrin Stahl is a VERY distant (but legitimate!) relation to the Medvyed noble family of eastern Brevoy (his mother was a Medvyed, and his father was a forester and trader). Growing up far removed from the House seat of Stoneclimb, Havrin spent nearly his entire life under the sheltering boughs of the Gronzi Forest, which led to his deep respect for the wilderness and the creatures that dwell within.
Six months ago, Havrin’s father, Harther Stahl, disappeared while leading a trade caravan from Restov through the Stolen Lands to the River Kingdoms. Only last month, word filtered back to Havrin that a lone, grievously-wounded survivor from the caravan was found by a wandering priest of Erastil. Before the man died of his wounds, he stated that the caravan had been waylaid by bandits in the Stolen Lands, and that the caravan leader had been captured by the bandits, wounded but alive.
Havrin traveled to Restov in hopes of tracking down more information about his father’s disappearance in the Stolen Lands. He views the offer of a charter from the Swordlords granting the right to explore the southern wilderness as a fortunate coincidence. He hopes to discover leads that will allow him to rescue his father if he is still alive, or to extract vengeance on the bandits of the region if his father is dead.
(Note: Ability Scores generated using 15-point buy)
Initiative: +5; +7 in Forest [+3 Dex; +2 trait; +2 favored terrain]
Senses: Perception +9 [+11 vs. Humans; +11 in Forest; +13 vs. Humans in Forest]
Speed: 30 ft.
AC: 17, touch 13, flat-footed 14; [+4 armor, +3 Dex]
Hit Points: 31 [3x(d10+CON) + 2x(favored class lvl 1-2)]
Current hp = 31
Fort: +4 Ref: +6 Will: +4
• +1 trait bonus on Will saves vs. fey spells and supernatural abilities
• +4 bonus on Fort saves to avoid nonlethal damage from hot or cold environments (Endurance)
• +4 bonus on Fort saves to resist damage from suffocation (Endurance)
COMBAT: Base Atk: +3; CMB: +4; CMD: 18
Greatsword: +5 to Hit; Dmg 2d6+3 (S); crit 19-20/x2
Kukri: +5 to Hit; Dmg 1d4+2 (S); crit 18-20/x2
Masterwork Mighty Composite Longbow (+2 STR): +8 to Hit; Dmg 1d8+2 (P); crit 20/x3; range 110 ft.
Combat Modifiers: Favored Enemy (Humanoid [Human]): +2 bonus on weapon attack and damage rolls against these creatures.
Precise Shot: Shoot or throw ranged weapons at an opponent engaged in melee without taking the standard -4 penalty on the attack roll.
Weapon Focus (Longbow): +1 bonus on all attack rolls with longbow.
Skill Ranks Per Level: 6 + Int + 1 (human) + 1 (favored class lvl 3)
Acrobatics +2 (0 ranks + 3 Dex - 1 ACP)
Bluff +0 (0 ranks + 0 Cha)
-- Bluff +2 vs. Humans (+2 favored enemy)
Climb +1 (0 ranks + 2 Str - 1 ACP)
Diplomacy +0 (0 ranks + 0 Cha)
-- Diplomacy +2 vs. Fey (+2 trait bonus)
Handle Animal +6 (3 ranks + 3 class + 0 Cha)
Heal +1 (0 ranks + 1 Wis)
Knowledge (geography) +6 (3 ranks + 3 class + 0 Int)
-- Knowledge (geography) +8 in Forest (+2 favored terrain)
Knowledge (nature) +4 (1 rank + 3 class + 0 Int)
Linguistics +1 (1 rank + 0 Int)
Perception +9 (3 ranks + 3 class + 1 Wis + 2 Alertness)
-- Perception +11 vs. Humans (+2 favored enemy)
-- Perception +11 in Forest (+2 favored terrain)
-- Perception +13 vs. Humans in Forest (+2 favored enemy; +2 favored terrain)
Ride +8 (3 ranks + 3 class + 3 Dex - 1 ACP)
Sense Motive +4 (1 rank + 1 Wis + 2 Alertness)
-- Sense Motive +6 vs. Humans (+2 favored enemy)
Stealth +8 (3 ranks + 3 class + 3 Dex - 1 ACP)
-- Stealth +10 in Forest (+2 favored terrain)
Survival +7 (3 ranks + 3 class + 1 Wis)
-- Survival +9 vs. Humans (+2 favored enemy)
-- Survival +9 in Forest (+2 favored terrain)
-- Survival +11 vs. Humans in Forest (+2 favored enemy; +2 favored terrain)
-- Survival +9 to avoid becoming lost (+2 from compass)
-- Survival +11 to avoid becoming lost in Forest (+2 from compass; +2 favored terrain)
Swim +5 (1 rank + 3 class + 2 Str - 1 ACP)
-- Swim +9 to resist nonlethal damage from exhaustion (Endurance)
Languages: Common, Sylvan
Alertness: +2 bonus on Perception and Sense Motive checks. (human bonus feat)
Iron Will: +2 bonus on Will saves. (1st level feat)
Precise Shot: Shoot or throw ranged weapons at an opponent engaged in melee without taking the standard -4 penalty on the attack roll. (2nd level ranger bonus feat)
Weapon Focus (Longbow): You gain a +1 bonus on all attack rolls you make using the selected weapon. (3rd level feat)
Endurance: You gain a +4 bonus on the following checks and saves: Swim checks made to resist nonlethal damage from exhaustion; Constitution checks made to continue running; Constitution checks made to avoid nonlethal damage from a forced march; Constitution checks made to hold your breath; Constitution checks made to avoid nonlethal damage from starvation or thirst; Fortitude saves made to avoid nonlethal damage from hot or cold environments; and Fortitude saves made to resist damage from suffocation. You may sleep in light or medium armor without becoming fatigued. (3rd level ranger bonus feat)
Noble Born (Medvyed): +2 trait bonus on all Diplomacy checks made to deal with fey creatures, and +1 trait bonus on Will saves made against their spells and supernatural abilities. [Campaign Trait]
Reactionary: +2 trait bonus on Initiative checks. [Combat Trait]
RANGER CLASS ABILITIES:
1st Favored Enemy (Humanoid [Human]) (Ex): At 1st level, a ranger selects a creature type from the ranger favored enemies table. He gains a +2 bonus on Bluff, Knowledge, Perception, Sense Motive, and Survival checks against creatures of his selected type. Likewise, he gets a +2 bonus on weapon attack and damage rolls against them. A ranger may make Knowledge skill checks untrained when attempting to identify these creatures.
-- At 5th level and every five levels thereafter (10th, 15th, and 20th level), the ranger may select an additional favored enemy. In addition, at each such interval, the bonus against any one favored enemy (including the one just selected, if so desired) increases by +2.
Track (Ex): Adds half his level to Survival skill checks made to follow or identify tracks.
Wild Empathy (Ex): A ranger can improve the attitude of an animal. This ability functions just like a Diplomacy check to improve the attitude of a person. The ranger rolls 1d20 and adds his ranger level and his Charisma bonus to determine the wild empathy check result.
Combat Style Feats (Ex): At 2nd level, a ranger must select one combat style to pursue. The ranger's expertise manifests in the form of bonus feats at 2nd, 6th, 10th, 14th, and 18th level. He can choose feats from his selected combat style, even if he does not have the normal prerequisites. The benefits of the ranger's chosen style feats apply only when he wears light, medium, or no armor.
-- Havrin has chosen Archery Combat Style. He can choose from the following list whenever he gains a combat style feat: Far Shot, Focused Shot, Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot, and Rapid Shot.
• At 6th level, he adds Crossbow Mastery, Improved Precise Shot, Parting Shot, Point Blank Master and Manyshot to the list.
• At 10th level, he adds Pinpoint Targeting and Shot on the Run to the list.
Endurance: A ranger gains Endurance as a bonus feat at 3rd level.
1st Favored Terrain (Forest) (Ex): At 3rd level, a ranger may select a type of terrain from the ranger favored terrains table. The ranger gains a +2 bonus on initiative checks and Knowledge (geography), Perception, Stealth, and Survival skill checks when he is in this terrain. A ranger traveling through his favored terrain normally leaves no trail and cannot be tracked (though he may leave a trail if he so chooses).
-- At 8th level and every five levels thereafter, the ranger may select an additional favored terrain. In addition, at each such interval, the skill bonus and initiative bonus in any one favored terrain (including the one just selected, if so desired), increases by +2.
HUMAN RACIAL ABILITIES:
+2 to one ability score: Human characters get a +2 bonus on one ability score of their choice at creation, to represent their varied nature. Havrin’s bonus is to Dexterity.
Medium: Humans are Medium creatures, and have no bonuses or penalties due to their size.
Normal Speed: Humans have a base speed of 30 feet.
Bonus Feat: Humans select one extra feat at 1st level. Havrin's bonus feat is Alertness.
Skilled: Humans gain an additional skill rank at first level and one additional rank whenever they gain a level.
Languages: Humans begin play speaking Common.
Favored Class: Humans can choose any one class as their favored class at 1st level. Once made, this choice cannot be changed. Havrin's favored class is ranger. Whenever he takes a level in his favored class, he receives either +1 hit point or +1 skill point. (Havrin has taken the bonus hit point at levels 1-2, and the bonus skill point at level 3).
Explorer’s Outfit (8 lb)
Masterwork Chain Shirt (25 lb)
Greatsword (8 lb)
Masterwork Mighty Composite Longbow [+2 STR] (3 lb)
Arrows, 10 (1.5 lb) [-0 used]
Arrows, cold iron, 10 (1.5 lb) [-0 used]
Kukri (2 lb)
Masterwork Backpack (4 lb)
- Bedroll (5 lb)
- Waterskin, full (4 lb)
- Trail Rations, 1 day (1 lb) 
- Wandermeal, 10 days 
- Flint and Steel
- Potion: Cure Light Wounds (USED)
- Potion: Cure Light Wounds (USED)
- Fireworks (five paper candles and two Desnan candles) (USED one Desnan candle in battle against owlbear)
Belt Pouch (0.5 lb)
- Compass (0.5 lb) (+2 circumstance bonus on Survival and Knowledge (dungeoneering) checks to avoid becoming lost)
- Potion: Cure Light Wounds
- Potion: Cure Light Wounds
- 6 gp, 19 sp
- Honey candy
Masterwork Mighty Composite Longbow [+2 STR] - from Happs.
Masterwork Chain Shirt - from Kressle.
250 gp credit - Oleg's Trading Post.
360 gp - share of 1800 gp reward from Swordlords for dealing with kobolds.
50 gp opal - reward from Svetlana for moon radishes.
- Starting wealth = 175 gp (ranger average)
- Remainder of starting wealth: 12 sp.
- Sold leather armor and longbow to Oleg's for 43 gp, 5 sp.
- Used 60 gp of 250 gp credit for masterwork backpack and compass.
- Used 190 gp of 250 credit plus 176 gp, 7 sp from Swordlords' reward to purchase Stepper (heavy combat-trained horse) and associated equipment.
- Total remaining wealth: 225 gp, 20 sp
- Used 200 gp to purchase 4 Potions of Cure Light Wounds from Oleg; used 1 gp to purchase honey candy and two little bells from Svetlana; used 1 sp to purchase 10 days-worth of wandermeal.
- Total remaining wealth: 24 gp, 19 sp, 50 gp opal (given to Perlivash)
- Used 16 gp to purchase fireworks (five paper candles and two Desnan candles) plus a bag of honey candy; 2 gp to purchase quiver of 20 cold iron arrows.
- Total remaining wealth: 6 gp, 19 sp.
STEPPER, Combat-Trained Heavy Horse:
N Large Horse (Animal) Init +4; Senses low-light vision, scent; Perception +8
AC 17, touch 13, flat-footed 13 (+4 Dex, +2 armor, +2 natural armor, –1 size)
hp 19 (2d8+10)
Fort +8, Ref +7, Will +3
Speed 50 ft.; 35 ft. w/medium load
Melee bite +5 (1d4+5); 2 hooves +0 (1d6+2)
Space 10 ft.; Reach 5 ft.
Str 20, Dex 18, Con 21, Int 2, Wis 17, Cha 11
Base Atk +1; CMB +7; CMD 21 (25 vs. trip)
Feats Endurance, Run
Skills Perception +8
- Attack: The animal attacks apparent enemies. You may point to a particular creature that you wish the animal to attack, and it will comply if able. Normally, an animal will attack only humanoids, monstrous humanoids, giants, or other animals.
- Come: The animal comes to you, even if it normally would not do so.
- Defend: The animal defends you (or is ready to defend you if no threat is present), even without any command being given. Alternatively, you can command the animal to defend a specific other character.
- Down: The animal breaks off from combat or otherwise backs down. An animal that doesn’t know this trick continues to fight until it must flee (due to injury, a fear effect, or the like) or its opponent is defeated.
- Guard: The animal stays in place and prevents others from approaching.
- Heel: The animal follows you closely, even to places where it normally wouldn’t go.
Leather Barding (30 lb)
Bit and Bridle (1 lb)
Military Saddle (30 lb)
Blanket (3 lb)
Saddlebags (8 lb)
- Feed, 4 days (40 lb)
- Trail Rations, 2 days (2 lb)
- Blanket (1 lb)
- Arrows, 30 (4.5 lb) (-19 used from 8 Desnus to 22 Desnus)
- Arrows, cold-iron, 10 (1.5 lb)
- Silk Rope, 50 ft (5 lb)
- Grappling Hook (4 lb)
- Oil, 2 flasks (2 lb)