Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
About Paizo Messageboards News Paizo Blog Help/FAQ
Agath

Forgottenprince's page

Goblin Squad Member. Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Charter Superscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber. Pathfinder Society Member. 669 posts. No reviews. No lists. 1 wishlist.


RSS

1 to 50 of 669 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Andoran

Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Charter Superscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber

As you can see from my prior post, I wasn't a squeeky wheel and I just received my shipment email. However, my last name begins with a B, so I tend to be either among thr first shipped (unless they decide to go in reverse alphabetical).

Take heart dear friends, your stuff will ship.

Andoran

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Charter Superscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber

i've been a subscriber with Paizo since Dungeon & Dragon magazines and while there have been occasional delays (typically with big shipments around GenCon), I have been overall pleased with the experience.

i wouldn't mind if Paizo started notifying subscribers via email about any delays in shipping, it's a pain to find the latest statements about status. Other than that, I'm not upset. i can understand why others are, but I'd advise them to be patient.

Andoran

Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Charter Superscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber

Dotting for interest

Andoran

Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Charter Superscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber

I'll add to the caution of not closing a location when given the opportunity. We lost a scenario last night, partly because of poor die rolls against the villain but also because the druid didnt want to close a location (he really wanted to find a snake).

Andoran

Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Charter Superscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber

An expansion to the room/team/building/organizations part of the downtime system. More rooms/teams. More sample buildings/organizations. Rules for improving the existing versions (higher level managers and team members).

Andoran

3 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Charter Superscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber

My DM "Wait... what?" Moment:

I was running a Dungeon adventure involving a group of vampires in a noble's villa. The adventureback presented rules for stakingretooling vamps. The group had long ago agreed on called shot rules. The party monk throws three stakes, aiming for the hearts of the last three vamps. Even after factoring nonproficiency and called shots, his three nat 20's are sufficident. I stop for a good minute, trying to salavge the situation and then just walk away from thr table.

Others' moments:

I was playing a mid level rogue in a group chasing some baddies when the local LEO's show up, whistles blasting.

Me: What do you think you're doing, grunt?!?!
LEO: Excuse me???
Me. You're interferring with my assignment! Who's you superior?
LEO: Sergent...
Me: To low, who's his boss?
LEO: Lord...
Me. Now we're getting somewhere. Do you want my boss to have a chat with him about your involvement in this fiasco? ::Buff check in excess of 30::
LEO: No...
Me. Then I suggest to march that way :away from us:: and forget this conversation ever happened!
LEO; Time to move out!

Andoran

Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Charter Superscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber

Dotting for interest

Andoran

Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Charter Superscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber

Dotted for interest

Andoran

Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Charter Superscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber

I've been tinkering and consolidating the various rules/spells/items/etc. for calling/binding outsiders and I noticed something interesting.

Both greater planar ally and greater planar binding have an 18 HD limitation. Yet the section on binding outsiders in the Ultimate Magic repeatedly references calling or binding outsiders with HD above that range (Balors, Draconals, Pitfiends, Solars, etc).

I see how gate circumvents that limitation for calling 18+ HD outsiders (its essentially a super planar ally spell) but there doesn't appear to be a Pathfinder canonical way to bind 18+ HD creatures. Am I missing something?

Also, given the Pathfinder rules for binding outsiders, how do people feel about the ensnarment and implore spells from Dragon magazine 336?

For those without access, ensnarment grants a +4 bonus v. SR of the target and allows the caster to use Intelligence instead of Charisma for Charisma checks but costs an extra 1,000 gp. Its clearly more useful for a wizard or sage bloodline sorcerer than any other kind of sorcerer but its available to both. I'd probably also allow it for witches given its creator/most famous user...

Implore allows the caster to bind a single creature of up to 22 HD, had an xp cost which converted to Pathfinder equates to 1,250 gp/HD (so max of 27,500 gp), imposes -4 penalty to the Will save/Charisma checks, ensured no double dealing, and granted the target a cumulative +1 bonus v. being called for 1 year.

Implore also required the caster to know the target's true name, which under the Ultimate Magic imposes a -5 penalty to the Will save and Charisma check. I think a total of -9 is a bit much, but then again you're paying more for a 22 HD binding than you are for a wish spell.

Thoughts? Observations?

Andoran

Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Charter Superscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber

Inner Sea Magic, p. 57, Impart Mind

Andoran

Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Charter Superscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber

Put me down as another interested in high level stats!

Andoran

Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Charter Superscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber

That's my take too.. I'm inclined to pledge something, but I have an interesting sense of humor sometimes.

Andoran

Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Charter Superscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber

Iif you're asking for how to potray the blade speaking, then I'd totally recommend holdiing both ends of the conversation in front of people when its important. Maybe give the blade an accent or even hold up a pencil when its talking.

In an effort to not hog the spotlight, I'd usually just state during RP time "You see X arguing with his blade again..." and rarely interupt the action to yell (in character) something random like "I know she is smoking hot, but we're not her type". Really play up the whole "its my sword talking, I swear!" angle.

Andoran

Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Charter Superscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber

You could also watch either/both of the Vampire Hunter D anime movies if you want to see a symbiotic relationship between a protagonist and a gidt from his father. I could easily see a black blade with Lefty's personality, constantly chiding/goading the magus into indulging his darker nature.

Andoran

Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Charter Superscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber

Update: I'll try to post a Pathfinder appropriate picture later, can anyone recommend a picture hosting service?

On a more (maudlin) humor side, I figured out her Mythic stats (or at least one of them). She's got at least one Mythic tier. Her flaw is a dependence on bewbs and her hierophant path ability is sustained by faith (bewbs) based on the fact we've been cluster feeding her for 3.5 hours now. I gave up on sleep last night/this morning when the sun came up.

Andoran

9 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Charter Superscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber

I just wanted to announce that my wife and I welcomed our first child today. Its my sincere hope that she enjoys the hobby my wfe and I do.

Little Girl, I hope I can still find this thread when you're old enough to know how much your mother and I love you.

FP

Andoran

Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Charter Superscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber
Jason Bulmahn wrote:

Hey there Folks,

Currently, because you face higher level challenges, you get the rewards for that level, meaning that your average wealth by level guidelines are going to be a bit of a split between your current level and your level plus your mythic tier.

I realize that this is not a perfect solution, and I am tinkering with a number of different options to make this work, but you will probably not see it for a while yet.

Jason Bulmahn
Lead Designer

Thats just fine Jason, thanks for responding. When you ponder the issue, please keep the 20th level mythic 1-10playtest scenarios in mind too.

As and aside, I was/am a huge fan of 3.x epic, but I'm really starting to love what I'm seeing here.

Keep going!

Andoran

Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Charter Superscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber

I must admit some of the above posts were more helpful than others.... For the record I've been DMing for 12+ years now and have often taken 3.x games to 30th+ levels. So if you feel I'm still on "training wheels"...

I think the most helpful comment has been the 10th level/5th tier character is not supposed to be an equal to a 15th level character. I'd love it if JB confirmed Matrix's quote, but I suspect he's correct.

Andoran

Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Charter Superscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber

I can't seem to find anything stating whether a PC's wealth by level should factor in his mythic tiers. Does a 10th level PC with 10 mythic tiers have the equipment of a 10th level PC or a 20th level PC?

If its 20th level PC, then what do we use for a 20th level PC with any mythic tiers? Just cap them at 20th levels value?

Hopefully I didn't miss a very obvious answer (wouldn't be the first or the last)!

Andoran

Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Charter Superscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber

I'll throw out my two also. Alimar Spellsmith (human elmentalist) and Striker Darkfate (human thief). I'm also on Tarnished Coast.

Andoran

Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Charter Superscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber

Let me expand my question then... Does RP in this context mean then same it does in PRPG? Am I expected to talk in character at all times? Would you boot me for using terms like tank, dps, aoe, etc?

I'm a longtime fan of GW, but my MMO experience has always been that my friends ditch the game for the "teh newest release" while I plough along through content, so I've been fairly self reliant. I'd like serious mature players to party with on occasion, so I'm liking what I've heard so far.

Andoran

Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Charter Superscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber

Could someone elaborate on what they mean by an "RP server"?

I take it to mean I should (rarely) see things like "HotDog" and "BlondsHaveFun".

I was planning on going Dragonbrand or Darkhaven, but if my fellow paizo fans are in the Tarnished Coast I may want to make that my home.

Andoran

Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Charter Superscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber
Ravennus wrote:

Please expand on guidelines for DMs regarding WBL for newly created higher level characters and item crafting.

Specifically, by default should new characters buying equipment using the WBL guidelines be allowed to pay half-cost for items they can craft themselves, so long as they bought the required crafting feats and have the skills.

If so, is it fair to craft all their WBL items (effectively doubling WBL) or is a cap of 50% (or something similar) fair by default?

I know most DMs houserule this (mine did after I made a lvl 11 Forgemaster Cleric with most of the crafting feats), but some guidelines and explanations would be helpful.

This.

Also, can you make a golem intelligent simply by using the intelligent item rules? Would it then gain feats/skills. (I acknowledge this may be going outside the scope of the project).

Andoran

Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Charter Superscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber

Dotting for interest....

As further food for thought, can anyone think of a reason the same treatment can't be done for the diabolist?

Andoran

Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Charter Superscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber

I've been playing the betas off and on (not as hardcore as I'll be after release because it will all be wiped).

We just ordered a new laptop so my wife can play too!

Andoran

Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Charter Superscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber

Dotting for interest...

Also add me to the "can play in post 20th" crowd as I still run a epic level game.

Andoran

Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Charter Superscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber
doc the grey wrote:


1.) Thank you it's awesome that with the subscription you get the pdf's as soon as they ship so you can look them over while you wait.

2.) still looking so far have made it to the basic gear section which leads to number 3...

3.) Are you also looking for mundane gear for other arcane casters like say witch's or just wizards? If so I've found out they got mithril cauldrons as well as cooking utensils perfect for handling those tough hard to boil victims that don't want you to use the cook people hex on them.

Because I have a couple of subscriptions shipping at the same time, I usually get my notification later in the process (c'est la vie).

As for the mithral cauldron.... thats hilarious!

Andoran

Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Charter Superscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber
Gauss wrote:

Forgottenprince: Why would posting specifics be disrespectful? Itll appear on the D20PFSRD soon enough. Some of us are just waiting until the 16th when the rest of us can purchase it.

Doc The Grey: Anything that really catches your eye? Something that is just 'wow' what a cool item?

- Gauss

Saying "It has five new ioun stones, including one that allows you to fight like a monk!" is okay.

Copying/pasting the actual entry for an item/feat/etc. has brought out the paizo staff in the past. The fact that the stats will make it to D20pfsrd in due time has not stopped them from making the reasonable request not to put their brand-spanking new material on the web, at release, for free.

Andoran

Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Charter Superscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber

First... so jealous....

Second... any new ioun stones? (what can I say I'm a fan)

What about stuff for wizards (spellbooks, new bonded items, wizard equivalent of robes of arcane heritage)?

Remember not to post any specifics out of respect for the host.

Andoran

Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Charter Superscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber

I had hoped that you would have received more feedback from others on this... Oh well.

I acknowledge your point on the "prepared" v. "exchange" terminology. I think this is an instance of RAW v RAI as I don't think the designers intended this to allow the situation you described above (no matter how much fun it would be!), hence my gut reactions above.

A further argument to support more flexibility on issue 3) is examining the clerics ability to spontaneously cast metamagiced versions of cure/inflict spells using higher level slots. Again, not expressly called out in spellbond but it is more internally consistent I believe.

Andoran

Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Charter Superscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber

Dotted for interest to see how others rule but my gut instinct is:

1) No because that slot is only available for school spells
2) No because that's circumventing a balancing feature of the specialist
3) Probably not because its not called out, but I'd allow it in my game.

Andoran

Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Charter Superscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber
Tiny Coffee Golem wrote:

I agree that spellbinders can get bonded items by other means. However, spellbinders are not universalists. They are spellbinders.

Amulet of Magecraft
Aura moderate universal; CL 9th

Slot neck; Price 20,000 gp; Weight 2 lbs.

Description
Each silver link that makes up this heavy necklace represents a well-known concept of arcane theory. A universalist wizard who selects the necklace as his bonded object (which counts as an amulet) may choose one school of spells each day when he prepares spells. He then can use the necklace to spontaneously convert any prepared wizard spell of that school into any other wizard spell of that school he knows; the desired spell must be of the same level or lower than the prepared...

Take a look at the spellbinder. If you can find where it says it replaces the "arcane school" then I'll concede your point.

Arcane school determines specialization/universalist status.

Quote:
Arcane School: A wizard can choose to specialize in one school of magic, gaining additional spells and powers based on that school. This choice must be made at 1st level, and once made, it cannot be changed. A wizard that does not select a school receives the universalist school instead.

Arcane bond does not and thats all spellbinders give up.

Andoran

Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Charter Superscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber
Tiny Coffee Golem wrote:
LazarX wrote:
Forgottenprince wrote:


Also for those who want a familiar in addition to bonded item/spellbinder elf wizard, remember that Skill Focus (Knowledge (aracana)) + Eldritch Heritage (Arcane) gives you both.

Actually, could use that to get Amulet of Magecraft and Spellbinder...

I believe that comes under the heading of overlapping class features. It won't work for the same reason you can't get two familiars by multi-classing wizard and arcane blooded sorcerer.
The Amulet isn't a class feature. However, the spellbinder isn't a universalist. A spellbinder gives up all school specialty/powers (including universalist). So an amulet of magecraft wouldn't do a spellbinder any good.

TCG and LazarX

The spellbinder only gives up arcane bond in exchange for the spellbonding. As evidenced by the last part of the entry (other than recommended discoveries) saying "This ability replaces arcane bond." So technically the feature is available to all wizards....

The feat does not replace a class feature, it effectively adds a claass feature at the cost of Skill Focus and Eldritch Heritage.

99% certain its legit unless I missed something in the Eldritch Heritage.

Andoran

Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Charter Superscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber

The inner sea primer has a good archetype to replace HotA (bonus metamagic feat and bonus on crafting metamagiced magic items).

I've played a universalist extensively (almost exclusively) and have become a bit of a metamagic focused character (wonder why). The ability to modify any spell (other than my highest) on the fly has created some fascinating events.

I wouldn't mind the bonus slot per spell level (even if restricted to metamagic spells).

Also for those who want a familiar in addition to bonded item/spellbinder elf wizard, remember that Skill Focus (Knowledge (aracana)) + Eldritch Heritage (Arcane) gives you both.

Actually, could use that to get Amulet of Magecraft and Spellbinder...

Andoran

Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Charter Superscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber

Use Mnemonic Enhancer to prepare an additional six cantrips...

Andoran

Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Charter Superscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber
Alzrius wrote:

Well, I just kicked my $250 pledge up to $300 for the subscription.

My poor wallet now has the "broken" condition, but it's still worth it!

+1

Andoran

Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Charter Superscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber

Actually boon companion applies to familiars too.

Andoran

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Charter Superscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber
Vic Wertz wrote:
Forgottenprince wrote:
Can we assume the standard "preorder and if you subscribe at a later time we'll roll the preorder into the subscription" scenario?
Yep.

Then to quote the eloquent Sketchpad above, Sold!

Andoran

Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Charter Superscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber

Can we assume the standard "preorder and if you subscribe at a later time we'll roll the preorder into the subscription" scenario?

Andoran

Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Charter Superscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber

Dotting for interest, though I'll admit I just bought a kindle copy of the first book to see what all the fuss is about.

Andoran

Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Charter Superscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber

It depends. Obviously not answering will result in torture/personal suffering. But if not lying will result in harm to his allies, then I'd allow it without revoking status if the pc immediately went for atonement @ the firts chance.

Andoran

Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Charter Superscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber

Dotted for future reference!

Andoran

Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Charter Superscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber

I'm another who is on the fence about whether I'll keep the subscription. More than $500 a pop, 2-3 times a year pushes what I feel comfortable budgeting for minis. As you can see, I subscribe to a fair number of Piazo's products besides the minis.

Andoran

Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Charter Superscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber
Jeraa wrote:

Every spell of the Polymorph subschool have certain rules they must follow. One of them being:

Quote:
Unless otherwise noted, polymorph spells cannot be used to change into specific individuals. Although many of the fine details can be controlled, your appearance is always that of a generic member of that creature's type. Polymorph spells cannot be used to assume the form of a creature with a template or an advanced version of a creature.
Half-dragon is a template, and you can never take the form of templated creatures. Unless the specific spell says you can, but none of the polymorph spells in the core rulebook specifically say that you can, so the general rule of "no templated creatures" applies.

Now that's a better citation than a "nothing says you can" argument. Which makes me wonder about Undead Anatomy as I cited above. Thanks!

Andoran

Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Charter Superscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber
Shar Tahl wrote:


Nothing says you gain a template. These abilities are not consistent with half dragons. You are basically saying that you must ignore everything and let it make it do something else because it uses the word "dragon". The first sentence in the spell answers your question. It does not say Dragon(and something else) Form.

Maybe back at PRPG release I could buy that argument. But taken in context with the Undead Anatomy spells clearly allow one to take the vampire template, I no longer see the "no template allowed" argument as being a sovereign defense.

To be clear, I'd treat the "half-dragon" form as any other polymorph ability, where the PC would get the LESSER of the abilities granted by the template or the form of the dragon spell (the lower Str mod, the lower darkvision, the lower claw attack, etc).

Andoran

Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Charter Superscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber

Ignoring for the moment the actual ability/stat modifications, is there anything other than a strict interpretation of the statement that "you become a Medium chromatic or metallic dragon" preventing a PC from using Form of the Dragon/Shapechange to become a Medium sized half-dragon?

Remember that the half-dragon template changes the base creature to "dragon" and (to my knowledge) the only possible half-dragons available are chromatics and metallics.

I think its technically legal, but it may violate the intent of the spells.

Thoughts? Concerns?

Andoran

Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Charter Superscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber
Umbral Reaver wrote:

Generally, I find I enjoy prestige classes more than archetypes.

Archetypes are something you are from the beginning. You're an archetype or not. There's no progressing into that path if you didn't start on it. No archetype is available to more than one class, so the concepts for them are quite narrow.

Prestige classes are a later development of a character and can represent an altered outlook or new path of learning. They are available to a wide variety of classes, so you don't require a fixed direction to approach them.

I think both are very necessary for the breadth of character concepts.

+1

Andoran

Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Charter Superscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber
Erik Mona wrote:

We'll put Alain on a horse eventually.

Possiblly in the book of knightly orders in Golarion?

Andoran

Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Charter Superscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber

Goal is met.

Andoran

Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Charter Superscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber

While I would love epic level rules, I don't believe they would be needed to have an inter-planetary based AP.

Distant worlds stressed that there are a number of connections between various worlds as well as ship plying the steller seas. I'm sure the best and brightest at Paizo could create a plausible way to traveling between worlds.

Now if the travel is supposed to be at will, that may indeed be at the higher echelons.

1 to 50 of 669 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.