Vargouille

FallenDabus's page

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber. 294 posts (310 including aliases). No reviews. 2 lists. No wishlists. 3 aliases.


RSS

1 to 50 of 294 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | next > last >>

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Todd Stewart wrote:
FallenDabus wrote:


I can finally say what it is!

I'm working on Dark Eras 2 for Onyx Path Publishing, writing the history section for 1001 Nights.

Question: What movies and/or novels would you say are good inspiration for Planescape that aren't usually brought up in conversation? I'm trying to do something of a palette cleanser to look at the setting, especially the sects and factions, with fresh eyes.

Well a month later I finally notice this and respond!

Congratulations! That's seriously awesome! :D

[awesome suggestions]

Good things come to those who wait :) Thanks Todd!

What was the reaction of your players at the table when they found about

Spoiler:
Shemmy's maiming

in the last couple of updates?


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Yay! This is super exciting!


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

All shall be welcome on Sigil's streets!


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
John Compton wrote:
Bellona wrote:

Where else has Basrakal been mentioned?

(I'm not that well-informed on Golarion/PF's planar lore as I prefer Planescape's setting when it comes to planar stuff.)

It hasn’t appeared anywhere before this book, though it is described in Pathfinder RPG Planar Adventures, which comes out at about the same time.

June is going to be a wonderful month.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
James Jacobs wrote:
FallenDabus wrote:
Have you seen Infinity War yet?
Yes.

What did you think of it?


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Have you seen Infinity War yet?


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Files just got updated


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Todd Stewart wrote:
FallenDabus wrote:
Todd Stewart wrote:
FallenDabus wrote:
Bit of a more personal question... but how nervous were you the first time you put in a writing sample to an RPG company? (I just put my first application in and I THINK I have a good shot, but man alive I feel nervous and vulnerable)
Takehome message: don't feel so nervous. At worst you get a reject, but if you do hopefully you get constructive feedback, and of course even with a reject you keep trying! :D
Sound advice Todd, thank you. Apparently, I still have some lucky horseshoes hanging around though, because I got it! I can't say what or for who, but I got it. Your advice really helped me manage my nerves while waiting and I really appreciate it.

Congratulations! You have talent to make someone notice and ask to see more! Once you can talk about it, chime back in and let me know what it is so I can go take a look :)

I'm really glad that I could help calm your nerves!

I can finally say what it is!

I'm working on Dark Eras 2 for Onyx Path Publishing, writing the history section for 1001 Nights.

Question: What movies and/or novels would you say are good inspiration for Planescape that aren't usually brought up in conversation? I'm trying to do something of a palette cleanser to look at the setting, especially the sects and factions, with fresh eyes.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
James Jacobs wrote:

Prophecy doesn't work in RPGs. Not just in Golarion or Pathfinder, but in RPGs as a general rule, UNLESS the RPG is specifically designed in a way that your player characters are not supposed to have agency and in which your choices don't ultimately matter. That doesn't sound fun to me as a GM or a player.

How do you feel about settings that change Prophecy from "This must be" to "If this happens, then this will follow" as a way to give agency back to players, let them make choices, and potentially even manipulate prophecies themselves? The best example I can think of this would be Eberron, but I am sure there are others as well.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Todd Stewart wrote:
FallenDabus wrote:

Damn, I love the placeholder art, but that cover is dope.

(And that goes double for those of us to have been reading Todd's storyhour over a decade now)

Not the same critter, just the homebrew monster served as partial inspiration for the Pathfinder one which has gone off in its own wild direction. :)

(And your reading is deeply appreciated)

Yeah, but even partial inspiration is pretty damn cool. I remembering literally screaming when I realied why the Astradaemon seemed so damned familiar.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Have you seen the Planer Adventures cover yet? How excited are you by it?


4 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Damn, I love the placeholder art, but that cover is dope.

(And that goes double for those of us to have been reading Todd's storyhour over a decade now)


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Excellent!


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Soooooo... did anyone else notice that the dates of Beldam I's reign on the back cover contradict Taldor, the First Empire? The former lists 4077, the latter 4082. Which is correct?

(Also, it lists Beldam's birth as being in 4429, but that is pretty clearly supposed to be 4029)


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Todd Stewart wrote:
FallenDabus wrote:
Bit of a more personal question... but how nervous were you the first time you put in a writing sample to an RPG company? (I just put my first application in and I THINK I have a good shot, but man alive I feel nervous and vulnerable)
Takehome message: don't feel so nervous. At worst you get a reject, but if you do hopefully you get constructive feedback, and of course even with a reject you keep trying! :D

Sound advice Todd, thank you. Apparently, I still have some lucky horseshoes hanging around though, because I got it! I can't say what or for who, but I got it. Your advice really helped me manage my nerves while waiting and I really appreciate it.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Wes and Patch making the backmatter?! Be still my heart!


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
DeciusNero wrote:
FallenDabus wrote:
Sooooo... are we going to get. Deity on Thamir Gixx in this one? Because that would be awesome!
A servitor creature of his is in the first installments' bestiary, so maybe!

That's exactly what clued me in (and the line about a certain halfling reappearing in this instalment)!


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Xenocrat wrote:
FallenDabus wrote:
I'm hoping we get some brief timelines for each planet as part of this. It would be nice to know how long the major nations/city-states on each planet have been around.
They wish they knew that themselves.

That doesn't mean that knowing which were around during the Gap and which pre-date the Gap wouldn't be useful. Lots of story hooks could be created from knowing those facts, 317 years is a good amount of time for civilizations to rise and fall.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Thomas Seitz wrote:

Dab,

I assume so but I could be wrong.

... I'm just glad you were able to parse what I posted. My grammar's not great at the best of times, but that looks like my brain jumped out of my head.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Sooooo... are we going to get. Deity on Thamir Gixx in this one? Because that would be awesome!


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

I'm hoping we get some brief timelines for each planet as part of this. It would be nice to know how long the major nations/city-states on each planet have been around.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

What did you think of Black Panther?


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Cevah wrote:

While an outsider might change their alignment, they cannot change their type that lists them as [good], [evil], [law], and/or [chaos]. I think there are some named AP outsiders that have changed alignments, but retain their subtype.

Note that a good demon (like a redeemed succubus) still carries the [evil] subtype. They are still hurt by Smite Evil. And Order's Wrath still hurts due to having the [chaos] tag.

Wrath of the Righteous would indicate otherwise (at least in some cases). Arueshalae only has the [Chaotic] subtype when you first meet her and if you complete her redemption, she gains the [Good] subtype.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Bit of a more personal question... but how nervous were you the first time you put in a writing sample to an RPG company? (I just put my first application in and I THINK I have a good shot, but man alive I feel nervous and vulnerable)


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

What monsters do we have this time around? Any historical timelines in the backmatter?


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Ooooooooo!

Also, new kyton! Yay!


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

It's all cued up in my subscription. Now the eager wait for shipping begins!


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Crystal Frasier wrote:
FallenDabus wrote:


Are they? I just stuck all of the dates from T:tFE into the timeline I'm working on for Pathfinder and I didn't see them. Last four dates in the timeline are the Eighth Army of Exploration, the Red Revolution, naval campaigns against Qadira, and the present day. I'd be happy to be proven wrong or have missed something mind you, I'm just surprised because I specifically went looking for those dates.
No, my mistake. They were in the original timeline text, but got cut for space (and also because it's almost always a canon traps to say exactly when major NPCs were born; it's usually best to leave that to individual tables' needs)

Nuts! Thanks for checking Crystal! Still looking forward to this one and the historical hints in the back matter though!


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
FallenDabus wrote:
Xenocrat wrote:
FallenDabus wrote:
Crystal Frasier wrote:


Stavian and Eutropia's birth years are mentioned in the timeline for Taldor: The First Empire.

Are they? I just stuck all of the dates from T:tFE into the timeline I'm working on for Pathfinder and I didn't see them. Last four dates in the timeline are the Eighth Army of Exploration, the Red Revolution, naval campaigns against Qadira, and the present day. I'd be happy to be proven wrong or have missed something mind you, I'm just surprised because I specifically went looking for those dates.

Fixed birth years for important NPCs are a bad idea because they just keep getting chronologically older without aging in concept as things get published. Abrogail Thrune is always cast as a young queen in art and temperament because the Golarion plot and metastate doesn't advance until you run something, but she's always getting older chronologically because there's a fixed, published date for her birth and ascension. If you publish an NPC birth date and then take 8-10 years to publish anything dealing with that NPC, it can cause problems.
Hence why I'm making (and sharing) a timeline. It gives me context so that I can tweak Paizo's baseline setting as I desire. I get why most NPCs don't have birthdates tied to them, but if they exist, I definitely want you o track them down. The challeng s you point out have validity to them, but they can also be a source of inspiration for new stories and adventures!

**looks at grammar and rogue auto-corrects**

Ugh, note to self: no more posting right before bed.

Translation: I get the method to Paizo's madness with dates, but if they exist and I missed them, I'd like to find them and use them.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Xenocrat wrote:
FallenDabus wrote:
Crystal Frasier wrote:


Stavian and Eutropia's birth years are mentioned in the timeline for Taldor: The First Empire.

Are they? I just stuck all of the dates from T:tFE into the timeline I'm working on for Pathfinder and I didn't see them. Last four dates in the timeline are the Eighth Army of Exploration, the Red Revolution, naval campaigns against Qadira, and the present day. I'd be happy to be proven wrong or have missed something mind you, I'm just surprised because I specifically went looking for those dates.

Fixed birth years for important NPCs are a bad idea because they just keep getting chronologically older without aging in concept as things get published. Abrogail Thrune is always cast as a young queen in art and temperament because the Golarion plot and metastate doesn't advance until you run something, but she's always getting older chronologically because there's a fixed, published date for her birth and ascension. If you publish an NPC birth date and then take 8-10 years to publish anything dealing with that NPC, it can cause problems.

Hence why I'm making (and sharing) a timeline. It gives me context so that I can tweak Paizo's baseline setting as I desire. I get why most NPCs don't have birthdates tied to them, but if they exist, I definitely want you o track them down. The challeng s you point out have validity to them, but they can also be a source of inspiration for new stories and adventures!


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Crystal Frasier wrote:
Aenigma wrote:
Crystal, will this adventure path include the birthyears of several important characters like Stavian, his inheritors, and some of the influential senators? Maybe The Twilight Child will tell us the birthyears of General Relyson Gwein, Grand Duke Broyse Rengiana, and Grand Duchess Zymalla Rengiana?
Stavian and Eutropia's birth years are mentioned in the timeline for Taldor: The First Empire.

Are they? I just stuck all of the dates from T:tFE into the timeline I'm working on for Pathfinder and I didn't see them. Last four dates in the timeline are the Eighth Army of Exploration, the Red Revolution, naval campaigns against Qadira, and the present day. I'd be happy to be proven wrong or have missed something mind you, I'm just surprised because I specifically went looking for those dates.

Either way, I'm pumped for this AP. When it was first announced, I was kinda blah about this one, but this sounds fantastic and I am really looking forward to seeing Axis later in the Path!


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Undarin, Worldwound 3-day Forecast

Wealday: demons
Oathday: demons
Fireday: demons

Extended 10-day outlook

Starday: demons
Sunday: crusaders
Moonday: ritual sacrifice
Toilday: demons
Wealday: demons
Oathday: demons
Starday: demons

Hourly

11am: demons
2pm: demons
5pm: demons
8pm: blasphamy
11pm: demons
2am: demons
5am: demons
8am: demons


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Mavrickindigo wrote:

Oh hey, someone doing the timeline stuff. Maybe you can use my old timeline stuff I did?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5gwq90umyhpp8vy/Golarion%20Timeline.aeon2?dl=0

A lot of these are estimated. I used a range to determine "generations" and I made "eons" equal 1,000,000,000 years, but I don't think that's quite accurate. I also include a few novels, adventures, and comics, assuming release date or release month as the starting time, unless it is otherwise noted.

Ooooo... thank you! I'll stick a copy in my drive to share once I've added yours in.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
James Jacobs wrote:
FallenDabus wrote:
When did King Gaspodar's reign in Cheliax begin?
I have no idea off the top of my head, and if we haven't written that down (maybe check the timeline in the Cheliax book) I'm not sure it's mattered so much to us that we've had to yet decide.

Thanks James! One other timeline question (which may also have the same answer): Would Adavarine II have been the Grand Prince of Taldor when Iomedae ascended? He was 9 years later when the Treaty of Wildwood was signed, but that is the only date he has to his name that I can find in the new Taldor book.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

I don't think so. For an angel, the consequences may be not be dramatic, I believe they can exist anywhere on the ethical axis.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

When did King Gaspodar's reign in Cheliax begin?


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Greeting Cutters!

I am finally getting around to posting something that I've been working on for a while, a visual timeline of the history of Golarion. I have a history degree and am a major amateur history buff, but I have always found visuals help me immensely, especially when drawing on multiple sources to compare relative dates. I'm hoping some other people will find it useful too. If we are really lucky, maybe we can tease out some of the facts in the Directorsuarus' hidden folder of unrevealed secrets!

As I said, I've been working on this for a while, but I was stymied by the fact that there is one nation critical to the development of nations in the Inner Sea who's military has touched every corner of the region, yet the geographic and temporal range of its Armies of Exploration have remained vague. This left a giant uncertainty in the early histories of many nations until recently, when we were given definitive dates for most of the campaigns, as well as a nice map showing where they went.

I give you the timeline for Taldor, the First Empire!

Now I know that this timeline is still fairly incomplete, as I have only used the table of dates in the Inner Sea World Guide and Taldor, the First Empire to date. Taldor isn't one of the nations I am personally focused on, but I felt that it was a necessary starting point given how many nations ended up being born out the empire. If you're knowledge of Taldor is better than mine, I would graciously accept guidance on where I can find data I missed. Especially if you can find the birthdates, reign dates, or ages of NPCs.

Since there is a time limit on how long posts can be edited on the Paizo boards, I'm also giving you a link to a Google Drive Doc. As I create new timelines, I will add them to this doc so that if you want to find something quickly, you don't have to thread diving to find it, they will all be accessible from the first post.

The program I use to make these timelines is Aeon Timeline. If anyone else uses it, I am happy to email the raw files to you.

If you would like to help out with this project, I would be most appreciative. I want this to a community resource, both in its use and creation. Plus my knowledge of Golarion is far from all-encompassing and lots of APs and non-nation campaign books include little historical details that are easy to miss. If you making note of a particular date to be added to the timeline, please include the book you found the date in and (if possible) the page number so that I can track it down myself. I also will take Word of God from Paizo directors, so if James answers a date related question in his AMA thread, I'm calling fair game for the timeline (indeed, I have included some facts from Eric Mona's thread in this very timeline). Just please link to the post you are referencing.

Thanks for any help you can give! I'm planning on working on Qadira's timeline next, but I will probably drift thorugh Golarian's history as things catch my interest. If you like to see a particular nation (or historical arc) be featured, I will take requests and suggestions. Please let me know if you find this to be a useful excercise!


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Oooo... shiny!


11 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Ronin_Knight wrote:
DM_aka_Dudemeister wrote:

Treating trans characters as heroic figures is only political because trans personhood is treated as political because cisgender representation creates invisibility.

When art doesn't challenge the status-quo, then the politics of that art is support of it.

Positive representation of LGBTQA people is counter to the status quo. Until the that shifts so that trans-personhood is as invisible as cis-personhood, trans people deserve to be represented heroically.

OK I've got a couple of different points to make on separate subjects so two long messages incoming:

In regards to the quoted statement and the statement by the Head Dino I mentioned earlier, I'm somewhat confused as I understood the goals of the LGBTQA+ activists was to hammer home the fact that members of said community are the same as everyone else and should be treated as such, A position I agree with completely, However, at the same time both you, Dudemeister, and Mr Jacobs claim that while this isn't the case that they as a group should not be represented amongst villains.

Surely if the idea is to show that LGBTQA+ people are the same as everyone else they should be found at all points of the alignment spectrum represented by well written characters, rather than what were, to me at least, the sub-par characters as found in WotR.

Maybe I've misunderstood something, quite possible as I'm not neurotypical and do sometimes misinterpret points particularly in the ever-shifting goals and lexicon of activism.

That probably deserves a thread all to its own because there is no short answer. I'll try to give it the cliff notes. Maybe it will help coming from someone else who is also neuroatypical.

1) Fair is not equal. Equality is the end goal, but people have to be treated fairly first.

2) Representation is dependent on the author. This has to do with power dynamics within society. A cisgender author writing a transgender villain is very different than a transgender author writing the same characters. Even if they wrote the exact same thing, word for word, the differing power dynamic between the two

3) Historically, marginalized groups have been represented more often in the villains category than the heroes. Much more often. This othering of the atypical is deeply engrained in media, so a number of authors and fans actively try to avoid that trend to give some sort of balance to the scales.

4) Relatedly, in a perfect world, yes we would have proportional representation of every group, majority or minority, within both heroes and villain. We, however, don't live in a perfect world, so we have to concious that the decisions made by authors can have a real impact on people.

So, once again we wrap around to the main point that I think people are trying to express about this AP (to try and stay on topic). All art is political. Especially art that hangs around the edge of the mainstream and works to embrace those who are not. Tabletop RPGs have always been the former and Paizo has always embraced the latter. The suggestion that RPG games should keep politics out of themselves is antithetical to the game's very existence.

Ronin_Knight wrote:

Right the thornier of the two issues out of the way:

I also have to say Dudemesiter that you seem to be outright stating that a work of fiction cannot be written without political intent and I both disagree with the idea and find it distasteful in the extreme. their are plenty of works written either purely for the purpose of entertainment or without seeking to impart an inherently political message, whether it imparts some other form of message is another matter entirely, I would say this lack of political message applies to the majority of the romance, horror and even a fair chunk of the fantasy genres.

I have to Ask Dudemeister do you honestly think that unless an author writes some form of denigration of the status quo in to their work that they should have it treated as support of the establishment? that would seem to do a disservice to creators as a whole, to espouse that they are incapable of setting their politics aside for the purpose of creating something entertaining. the only way I could see to justify that stance would be to claim that all expressions and indeed all views have to be related back to politics. If I've misunderstood please let me know.

All art is a reflection of the artist. To be apolitical is in itself a political stance. It is possible to read too deeply into that stance... but it is also possible for that stance to have unintended consequences.

So does trying to create art apolitically automatically equate to endorsing the status quo? Not necessarily. Does it tacitly endorse the status quo, even if it doesn't intend to? Yeah, it does.

And I'd also argue that any story with a morale that can be applied to real life or a philosophy behind it is automatically political. To make a work that is truly apolitical, you'd need art that lacks both and frankly? Those stories don't entertain people. They have no teeth. So I understand where you are coming from with "stories that are written just to entertain" but those stories almost always have something to say, and that make them political.

This AP definitely will have something to say, and I for one am pumped for it.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
James Jacobs wrote:
Nicos wrote:

Hi.

of the books/articles you wrote/collaborated which ones are your favorites?

Burnt Offerings

Inner Sea World Guide
Lords of Chaos
Dungeon magazine (particularly #112, #119, #134, #139, and #159)
Red Hand of Doom
Fiendish Codex I
Lords of Madness
Into the Darklands
The Demonomicon articles in Dragon magazine

Speaking of digging up the past, has this list changed at all in the last five years? And kudos to you for it already reading like my list of favourite books I've read.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
James Jacobs wrote:
FallenDabus wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
FallenDabus wrote:

Okay, I know that I'm digging way into the past and that you probably haven't thought about Shackled City in years, but a question is bugging me and I can't seem to find an answer on my own.

Was Adimarcus ever assigned domains for his worshippers?

Not that I remember.
Do you have any thoughts on what would work for him beside the obligatory Chaos and Evil domains? (Again, long time ago, so I know that no is a fair answer)

Adimarchus was a late addition to the demonic ranks, and not one that I really would have done had I been more in a position of decision making at the time (I think the fallen angel element works MUCH better for devils, not demons).

What's your reasoning behind that? (not arguing, just curious)


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
James Jacobs wrote:
FallenDabus wrote:

Okay, I know that I'm digging way into the past and that you probably haven't thought about Shackled City in years, but a question is bugging me and I can't seem to find an answer on my own.

Was Adimarcus ever assigned domains for his worshippers?

Not that I remember.

Do you have any thoughts on what would work for him beside the obligatory Chaos and Evil domains? (Again, long time ago, so I know that no is a fair answer)


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Okay, I know that I'm digging way into the past and that you probably haven't thought about Shackled City in years, but a question is bugging me and I can't seem to find an answer on my own.

Was Adimarcus ever assigned domains for his worshippers?


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Hi James. A timeline question for you.

The Even-Tongued Conquest is well established across multiple sources as having started in 4081 AR. Aspex Even-Tongued then convinces Andoran to secede from Taldor, then uses the threat of force to take control of Isger and Galt. The timeline for Andoran, Galt, and Isger joining the Chelish cause however seems on unclear to me. The enumerated timeline in the ISWG places everything as happening in 4081, as does every timeline I can find in the campaign setting books. On the other hand, there are several references in the latter books saying that years passed between Cheliax taking control of each area. Is the intent that they all happened in 4081 or that they happened over the course of the conquest? Or is that intentionally left vague for the GM to decide?

Thanks as always.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Eric Hinkle wrote:
The Razmir information alone delights me. Will there ever be a book covering both Razmir and his church and nation?

One would hope! I would really enjoy having a campaign setting book to that effect!


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Okay, so what's the deal with this Ninja archetype?


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

I'm still waiting for mine. Skeld, can you tell us what the monsters are this go around?


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Kalindlara wrote:
I've been getting D&D and Pathfinder stuff consistently for more than twenty years, and I've never seen most of the stuff under discussion.

That is my expereince too. The single best D&D source for the City of Brass is Al-Qadim's Secrets of the Lamp. I only know this because I intentionally went searching for 2e sources on genies and the Inner Planes, then only found it a year ago after a good deal of researching. I would never have known about it otherwise.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Patrick C. wrote:
Gorbacz wrote:
By "overdone" you guys mean the fact that the last major City of Brass supplement, the Necromancer Games boxed set, is 10 years old and that there are a total of two Paizo adventures that take place there?

Well, yes, that. And the old 3.5 D&D Planar Handbook. And the material from Planescape and Al-Qadim, before that. Not to mention all other media that use the place as a setting.

You can argue that it's not overused because the number of sourcebooks that address it is not that big, but, relatively speaking, it's by far the most popular planar site on the history of this game, except, maybe, Sigil, but I don't think I need to worry about Paizo using that, do I?

Try to name me any planar settlement, other than Sigil, that has been detailed and used the same amount of times that the City of Brass has been.

Dis would like to have a word with you. Major information in any book featuring the Nine Hells in all editions. A full adventure (Fires of Dis) from Planescape fleshing the city out. That is a hell (pun!) of a lot more information than ever got published on the City of Brass in D&D or Pathfinder. And yes, it is a layer of a plane, but it is still a city, so it counts.

And when I'm looking at it, in Planescape's "The Inner Planes" and in Al-Qadim's "Secrets of the Lamp," your two primary sources on the Inner Planes in 2e, the City of Brass gets... exactly the same amount as every other genie capital in the Inner Planes. There may be other stuff, I don't have an extensive knowledge of 2e materials outside of Planescape, but my Google Fu seems to be saying there isn't. I've never read the Planar Handbook or Necromancer's Boxed Set, so I can't comment on them.

Like, I won't be broken up if the City of Brass is not included, but if it is I will gleefully steal stuff for my Planescape campaigns if it is. But even if the City is the second most popular planar city (which I doubt), until it has had as much printed about it as the most popular planar city (which is Sigil, bar none, no debate), it doesn't have enough printed material for it. Dis is the only planar city that comes close to that level.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Axis! Yay! Planer stuff is always welcome and between this, psychopomps, and general soul shenanigans in a couple of adventures, War for the Crown is starting to look pretty Planescapey.

1 to 50 of 294 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | next > last >>